Here we go again...EDIT not working!

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (70 posts)
  1. JamaGenee profile image77
    JamaGeneeposted 12 years ago

To the powers that be at HP: this is getting OLD.  What's the point of a writing site that won't let you edit, let alone publish, your work?????  Seems to happen only on the weekends, and I'm 100% sure it IS NOT on my end.  No Windows updates pending, cache has been emptied, system has been optimized and defragged, computer rebooted. Am using Windows Vista and the latest version of Firefox.

1. sofs profile image76
      sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This has been going on..not just on weekends.. I had so much difficulty uploading a photo,  the edit always end up in a grey page and refuses to save..  I use chrome and FF 4 and still have these problems .

@ Admin please do something about this .

1. Lady Luv profile image73
        Lady Luvposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I concur, the same is happening to me. It appears to be a bug or glitch here on HubPages, as my browser is in fine working order on every other site I subscribe to.
        The problem at hand: I cannot add text to a new hub I wished to write, and it all looked fine until I hit "save"...then the text box vanished and it stayed black as though it were still there. ALL my work was lost. I tried again, this time copying before I hit save, and again, it went blank. I tried a couple work arounds, and even got through, but when I got to the unpublished save it showed that the text I entered was blank as well. I am really irritated, but understand these things happen. When can this issue be resolved?

2. perrya profile image84
        perryaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It just happened to me again, pisses me off. It was fixed, now this shit again. I use Chrome. when you go to publish, screen dims, and text box shifts, worse, your work is not saved at all.UGH!

JamaGeneeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

perrya, you have my heartfelt sympathies.  Truly.  In this day and age, with the level of technology available, there's absolutely NO excuse for majors features not to work on a site set up to foster creativity and which is dependent on the contributed content of its members! HP, stop rolling out new bells and whistles and fix the glitches in the basics!

I am sick of this!!!! Two times, wrote material, clicked to save or publish, then, the screen darkens. The text is not saved. I use Chrome. With so many complaints, what the hell is your problem HP? Fix this!!

1. Jason Menayan profile image61
        Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It looks like it has been fixed; we're terribly sorry about this, but our engineering team has been working on it since we learned about the problem last night.

Could you restart your browser and try again?

2. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

I wasn't able to replicate this problem on my end.

Could you share more specific information on what exactly you were trying to do, and what the problem was exactly? The more specific the information, the more likely we can try to replicate this problem on our end, which is the first step to finding a solution.

Jason, I signed in, went to "My Account" and clicked the Edit button next to a new, unpublished hub.  That part worked, but once the hub-in-progress came up, the command links didn't work. I clicked on "Edit" next to the title.  Was a dead link, as were the rest of the command links, even "Done editing".  Also at this point, same as in the past, the link to sign out no longer worked.  It's as if going into Edit mode severs the connection from the part of the server my account is on to the rest of HP. 

As in the past, it's now Monday and it's working fine.  Makes me think a buffer in the server needs a human to jump start it during the weekend to prevent what appears to be a bottleneck that causes an automatic shut down of all Edit commands, even in published hubs.  (It was a published hub I was trying to edit on a weekend the first time this happened a couple of months ago.)

Hmmm...if you're only seeing it on the weekend, I will try the steps you mentioned this coming weekend. Is there a certain day/time I should try? Thanks for being detailed about the steps you took.

Sunday, late afternoon/early evening is when it happened this time.

2. Mark Painter profile image60
        Mark Painterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The symptoms suggest a failure to properly load the javascript file that implements the edit functionality.  If you peeked at the error console when it happened and report any errors you see there, it would be helpful.  If there are no errors there, it probably means there was a communication failure between your browser and our server.  Reloading the page might help in that case.  If you experience the problem again, please, let us know whether reloading helped.

Error console?  What is that and how do I view it?om

Didn't try reloading this time because it didn't resolve the issue when it happened before. Seriously, it's as if a gremlin gets into the code at your end on the weekend and the trigger for its mischief is anything connected to editing a hub.  Very frustrating!

1. Mark Painter profile image60

Firefox re-organized their menus when they went to version 4.   So, the main pull down should have an item labelled "Developer", then under that there should be an "Error Console" item on the sub-menu.

Sorry that gremlins are sometimes hard to vanquish.

2. classicalgeek profile image82
      classicalgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I tried to edit a text capsule on a previously-unpublished hub with the latest versions of Opera, Chrome and Safari on a Mac (Leopard OS). I could edit all right, but when I click "save" the entire page turns grey and the text capsule is still there, open, and nothing will click on the page. It works (or rather doesn't work) exactly the same way in all three browsers, which leads me to believe that it is not a browser issue.

1. classicalgeek profile image82
        classicalgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And I was able to edit and save an Amazon capsule, so that part works.

1. KK Trainor profile image60
          KK Trainorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

me too

2. Jillian Barclay profile image73
        Jillian Barclayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe we should all refrain from trying yo write anything for a few days, til they make an announcement that this is fixed. Have lost far too much work today--and time-- it is maddening!

3. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 12 years ago

Jason every time I hit the edit button  (even on a new hub)and  try to save the capsule  the screen turns gray and won't respond.
    This happens all the time when I try to save a picture, I then have to open the hub on another tab and edit it again. This works at times,  at times it doesn't and I have to keep editing a new hub until I am able top save the picture.. I hope this information would help rectify the problem. I appreciate the effort from your side smile

Hi sofs,

Using Chrome on a PC, I couldn't replicate this problem. What browser & version are you using, on what platform?

1. sofs profile image76
        sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I use Chrome and it shows 10.0.648.205  .. hope this helps  sort out the problem smile

I use Chrome, twice I have written something,went to publish it, my screen dims, and the text box shifts to the right, it then freezes.The auto save element has not worked either, it indicated that it did, but each time after failing, I returned to retrieve it and nothing had been saved.

don't continue to say you cannot replicate it, examine the code and verify everything is fine and things are working remotely. Reliability is key, I  do not trust HP as being reliable when ready to publish.

Unfortunately, replicating the problem is the first (and necessary) step to diagnosing the problem and then fixing it.

Fortunately, Mark, an engineer here, was able to do all 3 steps a couple of hours ago. I hope you're still not having any problems (please restart your browser), but let me know if you are.

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I am using FireFox, latest version, and not having any issues with editing. hmm

5. theirishobserver. profile image59
    theirishobserver.posted 12 years ago

Dam it smile

6. Scribenet profile image62
    Scribenetposted 12 years ago

I have never had problem with edit...except a few hours ago. I can edit a title but not the copy in the text capsule...so not sure that is a browser issue. Editing was going fine earlier today! Thought to come on to see if this is a problem and I see there has been some other Hubbers experiencing this. I unpublished a Hub until I can correct an error I found. I will try again later today!

7. Bendo13 profile image76
    Bendo13posted 12 years ago

Well the wonderful text edit capsule is giving me problems in IE9... Everytime I opened it I couldn't get a cursor to show up even if I opened and closed it... so I'd click the spell check button and then it'd let me type.

I typed out this whole block of text and just moved it so I could see the text behind it and it wouldn't let me type no matter what I did.

So I went to save it so I could reopen it and the background stayed grayed and edit box is hidden behind the mist of gray... I can see it but can't click it and I checked my unpublished hub and that text isn't on there...

greaaaat, seems like there's a new problem every day.

Like how minutes ago it wasn't updating my profile picture when I changed it.

I am having the same problem, just lost a lot of work! It went black and I had to leave the page to make it go away. I guess I'll wait a while and try again.

1. Bendo13 profile image76
        Bendo13posted 12 years agoin reply to this

yeah it just did it to me again... it's beginning to be a joke trying to write on this site.  I'm going to try it on Firefox.

2. Bendo13 profile image76

It works on the newest Firefox but this is going to put a hurting on HP since most people still use Internet Explorer...

well I would hate to have to change to firefox to keep writing

1. Bendo13 profile image76

Yeah, someone needs to fix the site ASAP... it doesn't even alert me when people respond to my posts.

8. imgreencat profile image60
    imgreencatposted 12 years ago

The edit is definitly messed up.  I have gotten used to not being able to size photos.  Now a link is broken and tried to delete but scroll bar will not pull down to what I want to edit.  I guess it will remain a broken link.

9. Jillian Barclay profile image73
    Jillian Barclayposted 12 years ago

I  am trying to finish a hub and I cannot get a cursor when I try to edit. I can add new capsules, but am unable to enter anything into them.

I am right there with you, same problem and I have tried everything. I even logged out for a while and tried again and just lost the work again! Very frustrating.

10. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

I've been doing some editing in the past hour-- no problems Firefox on a Mac.

11. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 12 years ago

I'm trying to add a link to a capsule, but am unable to click on anything to highlight it.

If I click on the format box, and choose "paragraph", it lets me use my arrows to move the cursor, but I still can't left click on anything.

I'm using I.E. on my laptop, but will try it on my P.C., which I have FireFox on...for now, I'm just saving the hub unpublished... sad

1. K9keystrokes profile image85
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's what I did as well. Same exact damn problem...

1. TamCor profile image80
        TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I also noticed the word count not working.  I always work on WordPad, then copy and paste to my hub, and it won't show how many words I have once I do that.

I am frustrated, so I'm just putting it away until tomorrow, and HOPING these issues will be fixed by then! Ugh. sad

2. TamCor profile image80

This morning, I was able to use my P.C., with FireFox, and edit and highlight my hub--also to publish it.

I haven't tried anything on my laptop yet, with I.E., which is what I was using last night and having so many problems.

12. My Stories profile image60
    My Storiesposted 12 years ago

Yep, I am having the same issue.  My computer says there is something wrong with editor.  I cannot edit my hub and I cannot edit my profile.  It was working fine yesterday.  I wanted to publish my hub, but now I have to wait. sad

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB5; FunWebProducts; Comcast Install 1.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
    Timestamp: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 01:08:28 UTC

Line: 4964
    Char: 1
    Code: 0

13. Mutiny92 profile image65
    Mutiny92posted 12 years ago

I can't edit any capsule either.  I can enter text, but when I hit save, the screen goes "grey" and the only way to get out of it is to refresh the page.  Safari and Mac

14. K9keystrokes profile image85
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Highlighting, spell check, or any other edit functions are jacked! Very frustrating.
    Gotta say that I am VERY pleased that is isn't just me; had a super scary warning about Trojan attack during the edit debacle! Kinda freaked me out. Thank God for high-quality security gear! sad

15. Terri Meredith profile image69
    Terri Meredithposted 12 years ago

having the same problems...I've been trying to save a text box for the last 20 minutes, thinking it was on my end.  Tried everything.  I'm ok with posting and saving pix but no text.  and you're right.  It's getting old.  At least once a week.  I use Chrome, but also have Firefox.  Still can't post text.

I've had an ongoing problem with links and it's still not fixed.  I refuse to spend any more time trying to get the text links to work.  There's no suggestions and half the time if I highlight a phrase, the highlighted words won't go back to normal if I've decided not to use the phrase.  Funnnnnnnn!

1. TamCor profile image80

Now this confuses me...I've not had a problem saving the text, and the hub, once I copy and paste.

Why is it different for you, and others?  You would think we'd all be having the same problems...

1. My Stories profile image60
        My Storiesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh I was doing fine.  I was able to create my hub and paste my work into the capsule. I was able to add photos and everything.  It was fine until I tried to edit.  Two separate words were put together for some reason and  that is when the problem started.  I could not fix that one problem and refuse to publish until I am satisfied with my work.  I even tried on my laptop and I had the same problem.

16. Gypsy48 profile image77
    Gypsy48posted 12 years ago

Can't edit, fed up, going to bed.

17. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 12 years ago

The capsules all come jumbled on preview.. anyone face this yet.. This is getting more and more difficult sad

18. Scribenet profile image62
    Scribenetposted 12 years ago

Still having problems and cannot edit or even save a capsule. Looks like there will be fewer new Hubs happening if this continues!!! I will try another browser tomorrow.

19. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

Just an update -

Paul Deeds and Fawntia are looking into this.

20. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 12 years ago

Jason, just FYI:  I have the same kill-the-Hub problems when hitting Save; won't be ablue to publish anything until that's fixed.

With Internet Explorer (either IE-7 or IE-8), I'm not able to even get the cursor to show up in the text capsule.  With Chrome, I can enter text, but as others have found, everything "fades to gray" as soon as I hit Save.

Yes, it might have to do with other changes rolled out with the same build. Engineering is looking into it now; sorry for the inconvenience!

21. KK Trainor profile image60
    KK Trainorposted 12 years ago

I started it up in Firefox and it works fine, just finished publishing!

1. Terri Meredith profile image69
      Terri Meredithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

me too, but I don't like using FF as much as I like Chrome.  I'll deal with it though, until the problems are fixed.

22. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 12 years ago

...and I WON'T use FireFox.  Would (no exaggeration) quit writing first.  Every time I've tried it, it's locked up my computer (sevral tries, several computers)..

Good thing the team is sharp, eh?

Jason:  Thanks for the response.  Also, using IE-8 just now, I was able to upload a PHOTO just fine, so it's not ALL capsules--but the Text capsule is still MIA.

1. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay, I lied.  After all my years of rants against FireFox, I figured, ah, what the hey, I hadn't tried on my CURRENT computer.

So I downloaded the cursed thing.  And it worked.  Just wrote and published a Hub.

Any Fox in a storm, or something like that.

23. profile image0
    kelly7087posted 12 years ago

I guess it helps to read,I see that I am not the only one that can't edit and add anything. I first thought it was me, but it wasn't. So guess I will just wait to edit it and post.

TEK

24. calebacea097 profile image59
    calebacea097posted 12 years ago

It refuses to save what i write and it wont recover the writings I am beginning to become extremely angry and frustrated over this and i am now wary of your site. I would like to know how i would be able to fix this problem.

I use google chrome as my web browser so let me know if it's this.

<also i have never had this problem before no matter the length of time in between posts>

25. Gabriel Wilson profile image91
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 12 years ago

This is awful. I'm having the same problems; when I click save everything goes grey and freezes. I have to quit to get out. When I go back in all my text has disappeared. I am really fed up and I've lost a heap of work. Please hurry up and sort this out!

26. Chris Telden profile image90
    Chris Teldenposted 12 years ago

I'm having the same problem, using a Chromium browser.  I started a new hub, then went to add text to the first capsule.  When I went to save it, the hub grayed out and "froze" and the text didn't save.  I then accessed the hub from My Account, and did it all over again, with the same result.

Update:  I just tried to add text in Firefox, and it worked.  Maybe this is a Chrome/Chromium issue?

In a couple other threads that sound similar, I suggested flushing the browser cache and reloading the edit page.  So, far no one has posted back as to whether it helps, or not.

Otherwise, I've tried every browser I can get my hands on this morning, including crome without any difficulty.

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
        Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

What does "flushing the browser cache" mean?

Nevermind.  I found the problem.  I'm working on a fix.

27. Peter Dickinson profile image75
    Peter Dickinsonposted 12 years ago

I appear to be having similar problems today. I cannot even put the cursor into a text capsule unless I click on Bold first (and it took a bit of fiddling to find that out). Then the only way to move anywhere in the capsule is with the up and down arrows because the cursor will not work. Because of this it is impossible to highlight text and so impossible to put in a link.
    It is all very frustrating. It has never been a problem before. The browser cache is clear and I really don't see why I should even bother about changing browsers. The problem is at the other end not this one as is apparent from the others experiencing similar problems. I hope it gets sorted soon.

I believe we just pushed out a fix for the problem.  I'm sure you will let us know if you continue to have issues.  I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

1. Scribenet profile image62
        Scribenetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I  just checked and I have been able to edit and save on my Hubs. I haven't tried making links, but the text capsule is working for me now. Thank you!

28. Cathy I profile image68
    Cathy Iposted 12 years ago

JamaGenee, Peter.....I have been experiencing the same problem.  I will try again tonight.  Seems to have happened in conjunction with the new format of Hub pages, which I do like...the new format, that is.

Well, here we are at the beginning of another weekend, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the problems with editing, saving and publishing hubs truly are fixed.

Once again, edit commands are dead links, but here's what it says in the Error Console:

Error: jq is not defined
        Source File: http://hubpages.com/hubtool/edit/2495146

Does that you techies at HP what's causing the problem??

JamaGenee - I tried to edit a Hub in Firefox (on a PC, though) and did not have any trouble. Maybe Mark can help you. I'd contact him via email (through his profile) since it looks like you might be the only person having this problem at the moment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)