Can an atheist and a hardcore Christian make marriage work

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (107 posts)
  1. Castlepaloma profile image75
    Castlepalomaposted 12 years ago

Imagine seriously dating or marriage with a 100% hardcore atheist or hardcore Christian or even harder, them together, because I can’t. You hear about these mix marriages all the time. I had some long term romance with some soft core Christians, whats with that purpose because if they lose your only soul salvation or your heart, core soul of Christianity is allegiance to Jesus Christ as God, Lord, and Savior! ... The only way to receive the forgiveness of your sins is by believing, there is no other way out unless you change your mind.

If I were in the shoes of a hardcore Christian, I would try to convert everyone that I care about and would become this Obsessive Compulsive Disorder compelled to keep the faith and carry quilt you wouldn’t believe.

How do hardcore extremes ends of the poles, work it out?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can see a couple getting along OK.  Until children entered the scene whereupon life would likely become an unending battle.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And I have known two hard core christians enter marrage where life was an unending battle.

I think life is always a never ending battle against something ...
        and we choose our battles poorly.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, of course.  According to posts I see in these forums, one of them isn't really a christian.  Which ever one you are talking to - it is the other one.

Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What a way to build a relationship, build your foundation on a battle field and then export it to the world.

That sound like a country I know of

2. kess profile image59
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The versatility of the human mind is that anything and everything becomes possible....

So while it is highly unlikely that they would marry in the first place, if they ever do, it is very likely that they will be far more successful than many christian -christian or atheist -atheist marriages.

Having knowledge of their differences have a way of creating a strong bond.

And anyways there are many marriages where either of the parties jump the extreme ship within the marriage .. and make it work.

There are some rare cases of fine healthy mix marriages, so it can become true.

1. cludjojo profile image61
          cludjojoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

one of my friends who's an atheist has been married to his Christian wife for 28 years now. One of their grown up children is Christian while the other one is atheist. I believe things can work and last when the parties involved choose not to loose the wonderful chemistry and love making them happy. Most of the time, this doesn't work because each one tries to convert the other person or makes fun of their belief system, or when they simply did not had conversations on that. As a matter of fact, not only Christians try to convert atheists, atheists do too. When the Christian person involved is all about "love and the free will" vision, there's no reason why this will not work. Also when the couple deals with a atheist trying to turn their partner away from their faith, then no...that's also pulling the trigger. There have to be true love, honest discussion and agreement on how to do this and which way to go. Otherwise it gets ugly and clearly does not work. When you love someone, you don't make fun of them based on their religion or choice! And if you do not agree, just go different ways without judging and wish each other the best of luck. Judging atheists and Christians is not bringing the world anywhere anyway. It's simply 2 different choices like any other choice, we need to respect that.

Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

it does seem they would not be on the same PAGE..
            Or would they? Atheist know the bible better than Christians.

Lucky for me, I love the world anyways.

3. profile image52
      ibneahmadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is better to first settle this issue before getting married; it will be a distasteful marriage.

4. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Darwin made it work incredibly well with his devoute Christian wife!

When his daughter died, his wife left him for a wail because she thought he was going mad, they did get back together again.

What a wild story that was

1. profile image0
          shazwellynposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, lots of grief and a tricky subject for a couple to deal with on good days, yet alone with diverse views.  However, as you said, they managed to find ground where they could keep the relationship going.

5. Woman Of Courage profile image60
      Woman Of Courageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Castlepaloma, thanks for opening this very humorous thread. smile Personally, I don't think a marriage between an atheist an a christian will work at all.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
        A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, the Christian will try to convert the atheist by means of deceit and dishonesty, which will ultimately ruin the marriage.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Nope! The conflict doesn't allow for Love to grow. wink

1. profile image0
      zampanoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Anyway, it should create a wide panel of erotic fantazising possibilities.

It would be, some roller coaster ride

3. Stump Parrish profile image60
    Stump Parrishposted 12 years ago

I do believe you have just blown a huge hole in the theory that opposites attract. They wouldn't even make it to the alter or Justice of the Peace or, see what I mean.

As soon as a woman tells me to go to hell, my response would be -YOU FIRST!!!,

That would pretty well end us.

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

..no comment...but...speaking of sand...did you make it to parksville (i think that's where it was)?

They closed Parksville sand sculpture contest for a few years there because of a beer tent and riots.

It must of been there, my relationships crumble like my sand castles being so much on the road and all.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

i googled it....it was Parksville - someone from Holland was selected for first prize...i meant to drop by to look around - i still might - they are supposed to be on display until mid Aug.....from what i've seen of your work (just a wee bit of course) - you would have blown them away...do you attend contests like these for fun?

...excuse the hijack big_smile

what was the question?....errrr....no i don't really think so....but who am i to know.  big_smile

I used to go to hundreds of contests, now I’ve slowed down to two or three a year, trying more green forms of art, artistic low cost eco housing. and girlfriends don’t like you traveling so much.

Parksville is not run as well as it once was, yet a few very good sculptor go there

5. Stump Parrish profile image60
    Stump Parrishposted 12 years ago

Possible conversation one night after some exceptional lovemaking. Christian wife: how was it for you honey?
    atheist husband: it was heaven dear.
    Christian wife: Why must you always be so condescending towards me? What the hell do you know about heaven?

1. MsDora profile image94
      MsDoraposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Like Castlepaloma, I can't imagine such a marriage.  They would have to agree to disagree on the core values that make them who they are (that is, if they're honest about being atheist and Christian).  Why would people commit to living in a situation which does not allow them to share and enjoy their true  selves?

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Honesty and Christian in the same sentence. Now, that's too funny. lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

Stump

There is a lid for every pot out there, I'M sure you will find your heaven on earth if you don't give up.

6. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

I cannot see how such a relationship could work.  Having such opposing beliefs is bound to bring problems.  Considering that perfect strangers can argue over belief in God, it would be hellish to live with someone with whom you disagreed about such a fundamental issue.  The Christian would believe their partner was destined to the fires of hell for their disbelief and the atheist would believe their partner had ignorant supernatural beliefs.  And to raise children under such conditions would prove to be impossible.

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Long term relationships that are formed with the idea of settling down to provide a stable environment for children would seem to need a combined parenting effort, not a divided one.

For example I would have found it intolerable if my partner had indoctrinated my children into religion.
      So, my answer is that where children are involved this will not work at all well for them. smile

7. Tumbletree profile image59
    Tumbletreeposted 12 years ago

Of course it depends. Some hard core Christians are more focused on the message of love and empathy, and don't require someone to think as they do, but most need the "ego" satisfaction of conversion. I'd say no, but love comes in surprising packages.

There are Divorce rates among Christians in which are higher, and lower rate of divorce among Atheists ...Cannot find a divorce rate among Atheist and Christian together?

8. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Love conquers all. So, why couldn't they make it work?

Emile R.

Love conquers all, works for me.

What about a limited minded and over ego group likes hardcore Christians who must love Christ above all. Above their children, or above their family and even above their husband.. There is this long list of other condition to love Jesus by with all your heart. And I don’t want to even talk about much of rest of the world they hold at gun point.

Who do you know, who is truly Christ like and maybe this answers Jonathan question too

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know any hard core Christians that fit either of your descriptions. But, I don't get around much, so I guess in that first scenario there'd have to be a whole lot of love?

You're not much of a romantic I see. smile

On the contrary

My ultimate love would be a romantic woman to share my life with.

1. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's sweet.  Most guys wouldn't admit to that, but I would think that's what most everyone hopes for.

Don't limit your possibilities though.  I know a few couples that don't see eye to eye on the God question and they are quite happy.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image60
              Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I feel much the same way as Castle. I've been yearning for the same woman for five years. Neither of us seem to be able to bridge the gap, yet my heart screams louder and louder for her every time I see her. The only thing that has maintained my sanity is convincing myself that the joy of loving her is present whether we are in a relationship or not.

2. cludjojo profile image61

true! I agree with you Emile

9. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

If someone was a 'hardcore' Christian, wouldnt that person be truly accepting and tolerant to a partner's different view? Or by hardcore Christian did you actually mean a stubborn Bible thumping hypocrite who refuses to admit to having a materialist's world view?

10. Jonathan Janco profile image60

I've been in relationships with a lot of women who would give me the speech starting with, "I don't know what to do about your take on the world, but . . .". And I would often respond with, "why do you think you have to do something about it? I love you for you. If you dont feel that way about me, why be with me?" Every relationship I've had where that conversation has taken place eventually ended, but didnt end because of that conversation.

Jonathan

I have this lone wolf theory

A lone wolf will die if separated from the pack, human are very social creature too and they often feel if they don't belong to a group and  they will die also. It's not about your views of the world; it's the insecurity of not belonging to a group for them.

Since my life 50% is about me and 50% about everyone else, I feel secure in my own skin and know most of the solutions toward happiness are within. I Love myself first and I trust my other true love will come.

Not as easy as it sounds.

11. Cari Jean profile image88
    Cari Jeanposted 12 years ago

A true Bible-believing Christian wouldn't marry an Atheist because the Bible says that a believer should not be yoked with an unbeliever...for what do light and darkness have in common?

Cari Jean

What dose dark and light, front and back, up and down, left and right all mean.

I know this!!!!     They are all connected

Or in human being case we are all in the same boat, like it or not, then why always keep separating things?

2. Jonathan Janco profile image60
      Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Atheist and Christian has nothing to do with light and dark. I've met plenty a 'bible believer' who have been very dark and hateful. And use the bible (usually the only thing they ever read) as a means to separate themselves from others and feel as though they have a god-given right to judge others. I've also met plenty of people with a purely materialist world view who are quite accepting of others' views. Bear in mind the bible was written by people who were extremely racist, sexist and unforgiving of anyone outside of their narrow views. To be Christian is to follow the narrow views of others. To be Christ-like, one needs no church or bible, one simply needs to accept and forgive.

3. cludjojo profile image61

well the Bible also says to love and accept one another, be like Christ and follow his example. Christ dwelt in the houses of people called "unbelievers" at the time and was judged for doing that. But He stated that He came so that everyone could have access to His kingdom, His love. Christians have judged in the past and still do based on the same fact (people choose they ways). But the fact is: many Christians have even been the reason for people to become atheists too because of their propaganda and lies, and hypocrisy. I am a happy Christian, I have no right or power to force anyone to become one. I wished everyone could know this real person of Jesus, It's simply been amazing journey! but what can I do? I guess keep sharing LOVE! We can't force people

12. DoubleScorpion profile image77
    DoubleScorpionposted 12 years ago

Luke 14:26“ If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.

A true Christian is not allowed to love anyone but Christ, therefore it would never work out.

(Oh and they would have to be suicidal as well, or so it would seem)

1. profile image0
      brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Prior to the verse above, is the parable about the wedding feast and how the invited guests made excuse to not attend so the lame, blind and crippled were invited and then people from the highways were invited.
      At the time of this writing, newly converted jews to christianity were persecuted by their family, friends, co workers, government. These are the invited ones. The parable discusses how christians are not to bow to family, friends, etc pressures... they will find company in other (Un)invited ones who share common ground.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image77
        DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Which is of course why a mixed marriage would never work.

And for the rest of your comment, I'll leave you to your thoughts.

13. DoubleScorpion profile image77
    DoubleScorpionposted 12 years ago

I know this is a little off topic, But if you want to get a somewhat similar idea of biblical times, take a trip to the middle east and see how their culture works. That is about as close as you will get in modern times to seeing life from the biblical times.

I would love to take a look, but will pass for now. I couldn't be sure who would be shooting at me. smile

Comes with the backward thinking of the religious extremists on all sides of the seemingly endless killing over who has the right god, even though their religions came from the same source.

Brain dead the lot of them! Amoral to the extreme. Beyond comprehension to a sane person.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image77
        DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've been over there more times than I care to count. And I can say from personal experience, that is the closest culture that I have seen in all the countries I have visited, that closest resembles what is described in the bible.

Wow! That sounds like hell on earth! sad

That's true

If I were to do a film about biblical times, in some small towns in the Middle East, there would be some building two thousand years old. I would not have to do set designs or customs changes; it's all there, like time stood still, no hydro and just a few hand dug water wells.

2. profile image0

They are not actually killing over who has the right god. god is in the background true, but its not the motivating factor...war is on because of history. The God of the Bible has promised to restore Israel and the surrounding nations know this, so they tried to thwart that event. In 1948 when israel became a nation again, the surrounding nations got very scared as they see the bible unroll yet another one of its predictions. Now they war to prevent the temple being built.

14. Jonathan Janco profile image60

I am very trusting in that sense too. And someone who has a very different view of things is capable of teaching me something. The human species is what  feel a belonging to. Every group within appears to me as a separation.

15. R.S. Hutchinson profile image72
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

through love, all things are possible.

16. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

What is most amusing about the religious forums is that very little is discussed because goddunnit sort of closes a lot of doors. smile

I won't speak for all non believers, but for myself, one iota of proof would see me line up for an eternal life! I actually love my life! lol
    I am very accustomed to changing my beliefs daily like my underwear.

There is little point in retarding our own growth just to be right.

In engineering and fabrication, one often has to change beliefs when using different metals, tempering them differently, machining them at different feed and cut speeds to get the required strength and flexibility for a particular application. Along the way, most the original beliefs have to change on the spot in light of data provided by testing.
    Change is constant just like life.

In the light of any proof for a deity I believe many people would happily take it on, whereas to the religiously impaired, it needs to comply with the hate filled scribbling of a bunch of old racist sexist goat herders from 2,000 years ago, and worse, to believe their particular reading of it is the correct one!
    That more than defies logic......... that is megalomania plain and simple and no change seems possible to me from a position such as that.

1. profile image0

So you are telling me that if you were being escorted by Moses through the red sea and then witnessed a pillar of fire by night and a cloud for shade in the day that you would be a 100% good christian?

More than that! even the slightest proof would motivate no just me, but most readers of these threads.
        The thing is it is all nonsense and no proof has emerged in thousands of years.

1. profile image0

So you are better than all of the Jews?
          Belief is just the start. Everything else a christian has to do and go through still counts. Seeing a miraculous proof of God would not make you a good christian, in time, you would still falter. Choosing God is the way to God. Your eyes are closed now and your ears don't hear anymore, if proof stood on your foot you would find a way to rationalize it.

Never a single bit of proof, just more goddunnit from the book that claims to be it's own truth!

Intellectually microscopic. lol

17. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

Uneven match like expecting Oil and Water to mix.

True!
      Are you still cheating the cold weather?

Ya should go home ya know!

When people leave New Zealand one end of the Island rises when they depart so the other end gets flooded. You may have unbalanced all 9  inhabitant's land and sunk a few billion sheep with your thoughtless actions in leaving your country! smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The weather here is breaking records roll

Which is nice if you're a bloody pineapple lol

Awww..sad  @ my thoughtlessness...but I have the utmost confidence in those remaining dynamic 9 lol

Hell,now Im homesick..

I'm here to cheer you up! Most of this end of the world is freezing cold! lol

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
            Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! smile

Be patient, least you are closer to Spring everyday ,thats my fav season anyway.

18. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 12 years ago

to be honest, I just don't think a "hardcore Christian" can make anything work, but that's just me . . .

19. profile image0
    wongomowaleposted 12 years ago

I can't see a couple like that getting married in the first place. I know moderate Christians who would refuse to date anyone but other Christians.

20. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 12 years ago

A christian should not even date a non-christian. Yes, i know this sounds severe but in the interests of obtaining Gods BEST for their lives it would be best if they could pray together, discuss bible together, pursue God together.
    This is the pattern and it is best to adhere to it.

Remember the sons of God and daughters of men. (genesis 6) One are believers and the other isn't, and we see where that got them.

Then there is the ever famous:
    2 Corinthians 6:14   Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship has righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

rotheryochananposted 117 minutes ago
      A christian should not even date a non-christian. Yes, i know this sounds severe but in the interests of obtaining Gods BEST for their lives it would be best if they could pray together, discuss bible together, pursue God together.
      This is the pattern and it is best to adhere to it.

Some will have incest together like the Adams Family, Some will kill others who don’t believe what they do together, and Most will masturbate to Jesus together,

1. profile image0

I guess you missed the word BEST.
        you have two people standing in the room, both want to marry your daughter and they both love her equally and she them, but one has a promising future in some job because he graduated university, the other is a car mechanic. If you don't see the obvious advantages in christians dating christians then your just not using common sense.

2. Evolution Guy profile image59
      Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It does not sound severe. "Insane" is the word I would choose. This is why your religion is so divisive and causes so many conflicts. sad

1. profile image0

They should go along, if they're "hardcore" enough...

2. profile image0

As a christian, the woman i date i want to be bible quoting and scripture knowing and God loving.

1. profile image0

Be sure to leave her some time to mate.
          hehehe

3. A Troubled Man profile image58

That's probably why Hitler had Jews wear yellow stars, in the interest of obtaining what's best for their lives.

4. profile image52
      ibneahmadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I Christian should not date with a Christian; unless one is legally married.

I don't see anything in Bible , Jesus and Mary dating with others.

1. profile image0

We haven't seen Joseph and Mary dating at all neither...
        Besides, the thing is not about Christians dating with Babouans.
        It is about men and women.

Mary Magdalene was of royal blood, and in fact the wedding at Cana was actually the marriage between Jesus and Mary Magdalene. The so-called "miracle" of turning water into wine was just Jesus commanding his servants to serve more wine on his very own wedding day

Who knows maybe they had children, too much wine can do strange things. Jesus did want to hand over the church to Mary, but Peter had his own ideas

1. profile image0

Sorry. I'm not at all documented on those matters.
            I cannot pursue this "debate".
            But I've heard that after Jesus resurrection he and Mary Magdalena were seen often at the Monte Carlo Casino playing considerable sums.
            Is it true ? I dunno. But...

2. profile image0

I've read the same book not that i can recall the name of it. Why would jesus bother with marriage when he knew he would soon be crucified. When he had so much traveling to do. When the kingdom of God was so very important and his mission so vital. Its obvious he hung out with the disciples and as he walked everywhere he traveled he didn't have extra time, his schedule was very busy. I am sure mary felt something, i can imagine he was a real babe magnet, but if jesus played around like that he would not have been the sinless sacrifice.
            Jesus wanted to hand the church over to mary, now that a laugh, what scripture do you have to back that up?
            So you think jesus got drunk even once? That's a laugh to. You have to consider the importance of jesus and what he was like only to realize that jesus played it safe, he leaned to the side of spirit and far away from the flesh.
            This is why i never admonish outsourcing away from the bible. There is so much crap that ends up confusing people as to what is truth and what is deception.

WOW!!! You must have been there to see the whole thing unfold.

You must have been much older than the 969 year old man.

Let me get my super human cape on and fly ON over and - I Wanna Shake Your Hand you are a somebody.  I really like to know. YOU  I’'mm shackingggg all over!!!! like I saw the Holy Ghost

1. profile image0

you're also a bit of a 1/4 wit

Silly statements deserves silly response,

21. profile image52
    ibneahmadposted 12 years ago

I think they should first settle the differences so that their marriage is successful.

good luck with that one,
      somehow, some rare ones do find a way.

22. dutchman1951 profile image59
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

no absolutely not!

when you believe you live the belief, adopt it as a life style.
    opposite lifestyles will croos, there will be tenshion, fears, human emotion and interactions that will be troublesome to both.

so no, I would say will not work at all.

I have personally meet mixed couples that look good together and they tell me how happy they are together, I believe them.

On the other hand: generally the odd are against them.

23. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Well I don't fancy bringing a religionist woman to orgasm then getting told I must be the devil for doing so. Not my idea of a good time. smile

I guess I would have to agree with you. smile

24. profile image52
    Questioninglife89posted 12 years ago

This is quite an interesting thread
    To me it seems like the atheist will always attack the Christian for believing in something "pointless" and the Christian (if trully a Christian) will not attack but more like always hope and be burdened by the thought that their partner soon believes in the same as themselves
    Im trying to be completely unbiased but it's true that they would have a tough life if they follow and are strong in what they believe in
    For them to work out ok it would mean for either the atheist or Christian to push away their beliefs which doesn't seem like happiness to me
    What if the atheist person seems education as a very important thing? And the Christian person doesn't see it as such an important factor of life because church and their beliefs are much more important...
    I think that then is when the atheist will be put in the christian's shoes
    It's not about people attacking each other trying to force their beliefs down the other one's throat its about the mistake each other made by sticking around knowing that it would be a very controversial issue down the road

1. profile image52
      Questioninglife89posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Im sorry I think controversial isn't the word I was looking for more like difficult

25. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I think it would be tough for such a marriage to work.

26. profile image0
    Fatigmonposted 12 years ago

If one is what you refer to as hard core Christian (not sure what to make of that) but assuming a devout Christian, this situation would not happen.  Christians who follow the teachings of Christ will follow the instruction to NOT be unevenly yoked.

27. msshandriaball profile image75
    msshandriaballposted 12 years ago

I don't think this type of relationship would work.A couple must be in sink when it comes to religious beliefs.

28. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

lol lol lol Marriage is tough enough even for two people who on the same page, these two are not even in the same book.  I can't imagine them getting past the ceremony since the hardcore Christian would probably want a church wedding and the hardcore atheist would most likely not.

It may work if the other partner was a soft core atheist.

OR

How would  you define a self proclaim, hardcore atheist?

How could this Atheist be 100%  knowing God dose not exist?

How can an atheist be right, being unable to study the whole Universe, and come to this final conclusion, God dose not exist.

Fighting about both extreme sides is beyond my understanding, and blocking off core free thinking would be hell.

The way I can imagine anyone getting along, is by respect, as we all live on the same boat together, A romantic couple must be that kind of ultimate human love, that takes them beyond any hardships.

1. profile image52
        Questioninglife89posted 12 years agoin reply to this

So you are saying that perfect love will be the only thing that could get that couple through such marriage
        Perfect love implying respect, trust, unselfishness, etc
        Im starting to understand that if that perfect love were to be weak at any time then it's when matters will fall apart...
        Christ teaches about love and the atheist supposedly loves their partner so if that love were to equal out then I think there would be peace
        It all sounds so cheesy
        But is it really true?

29. Tina Kachan profile image59
    Tina Kachanposted 12 years ago

It all depends on one single question - is your religion something very important to you? the answer to that question for both people should be "no" in order for them to be a functional couple. If it`s a "yes" for him and a "no" for her, the the relationship is not going to work. It`s as simple as that smile

30. Druid Dude profile image61
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

I disagree. As long as both determine to respect the others beliefs, then such a marriage can, and often does work. If there are no major moral differences, then there should be no problem. Many atheists I know live their lives according to moral attitudes which originated in christianity.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

lol

Yes, there are major moral differences, but unfortunately Christianity doesn't teach morals.

Druid
        :Christianity the Origin of Morals:
        Is the USA today, a good example of taking morals beyond?

Than I prefer simple ethics.

31. profile image0
    Cranfordjsposted 12 years ago

Even though the Christian's faith condemns the Atheist to hell? That's in the bible unless you cherry pick it. Then it could work.

Through Christian's double morals and cherry pickings, they could  find a happy middle grounds with atheists.

For fun, can you imagine if R. Dawkins and Pat Robertson entered into a gay marriage together. South Park showed Dawkins having sex with a man, what do you think that was about?

First place
      R.D. and P.R. would not respect each other,  to make gay marriage work.
      2nd -
      Their sex life is none of my bee's wax.

I only know of soft core christian's and atheists mix marriages being happy together. Don't know if any core hard christian or atheist could work it out.

???

32. Amanda Perry profile image58
    Amanda Perryposted 11 years ago

Well I'm married for 6 years been with my husband 10 yrs and we have a 5 yr old together and sence July my husband just turned athist.....and I Christian if course and rasing my son that way too but what do I do I love him but it seems I'm doing everything wrong cause I'm a Christian :(he grips cause I'm raising our son to believe too. And I'm trying to find people that are in same Iraq under stand my sitchuation and can help we through this

Castlepalomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It seems like there is more of a conflict in raising your child as a christian, because your husband is an atheist. I seems atheist/christian have worked out in the pass, when they each respect each other, and keep the personal beliefs to thou self. Your son is too young to honestly decide either way.

33. profile image0
    zampanoposted 11 years ago

Can an atheist and a hardcore Christian make marriage work ?

Maybe some hardcore will help in the beginning of the marriage.
    Then, the Christian's repressed fantasies will have a very important role for the "suite".
    It remains the atheist's part, to stimulate them.
    So, the answer is yes.
    As to the children, I think we should keep them out of this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)