Help Me Name My New Dog!

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (53 posts)
  1. wordscribe43 profile image89
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

http://www.petango.com/sms/photos/1789/01d04fda-bc70-47fd-8968-a84629c1b9ec.jpg

We just adopted this four year old cutie from a VERY cool organization here in Oregon that gives homeless/shelter dogs a second chance.  He's been in foster care with an awesome family since August 2nd, but was in shelters and shuffled around before that.

He's a Labrador/Retriever/Pointer mix and boy is he cute.  He knows lots of tricks, one being he can actually play dead.  His temporary name has been "Texas" which is not our favorite name.  He doesn't seem to respond to it, so we don't feel too badly changing it.

Anyway, we've been brainstorming names all night and I decided to see what awesome names you guys could come up with.  I don't like "cutesy" names, if you know what I mean.

1. Diane Inside profile image73
      Diane Insideposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Since hes getting a second chance I'd say call him Chance. He  looks like a Chance to me.

2. rikabothra profile image60
      rikabothraposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I looked at his picture, only one name came to my mind - "Pokey"!!
      Do let us know what you name him finally.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Spot smile

4. noenhulk profile image60
      noenhulkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

jack, jackson, rigor, cholo, chingoy. Let us know what name did you use if you had it already. Good luck!

2. maddot profile image65
    maddotposted 12 years ago

what about "Lucky"?

3. profile image53
    Tinatinposted 12 years ago

How about Hippy?

4. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

He has a patch over one eye - pirate?

1. maddot profile image65
      maddotposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What about "Hub"?

wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

He he he.  "Hubs"

5. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Robbie?  Daniel?  Stevie?  Markie?  Snickers?  Toffee?  Hal?  Louis?  Jacob?  (To cutesy?)

Maybe... Honor?  Captain?  Leader?  August?  (Gus?)  Friendship?  Leo (his new life started under the sign of Leo)?   

A friend was thinking of naming her dog "Spackle" for reasons that had to do with patching holes (because her new little dog brightened "patched up" her own blue mood).

(In any case, I love you for giving yet one more "sweetie" in this world a home and someone to love him.   smile  )

Wilfred

2. wordscribe43 profile image89

That's so funny you said "Leo" b/c he's kinda my birthday present.  My daughter's birthday is just two days after mine, we're both Leos.  It's one of the names on our list.

6. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

Call him Harvey--
    which is short for Harvey Dent. Harvey Dent is Two-Face from Batman who was played by Tommy Lee Jones in Batman forever. More recently in the Dark Knight Two-Face was played by Aaron Eckhart.http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5413105.jpg

OMG!  That's a contender.

1. Mikeydoes profile image44
        Mikeydoesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! One of the better ideas I'll ever come up with. Good luck either way!!

Thanks, Mikeydoes!  We really love the name "Harvey".  So far, that's what we're calling him.  Sometimes, over time, another name pops out and sticks.  But, for now we really think it suits him.

I want to thank everyone for posting ideas.  I knew you guys would come up with some great ideas, and sure enough you did. 

So far so good with the new dog.  He and my other dog are doing well... except when it comes to toys.  We had a few scuffles today, so we're a toy-free zone for now until we get it ironed out.  They don't fight over food, but they fight over toys.  Go figure...

1. Mikeydoes profile image44
            Mikeydoesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Woot! Thanks and congrats!

7. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

He looks like a real superstar and given his love of performing, how about Superstar?

PS: I've never had a dog but I know when naming cats that sometimes you just have to wait for a week or two before the "right" name just inserts itself into the conversation.

Frodo

Earnest

8. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

I was thinking of pirate names, too. You could name him Black Bart, Captain Kidd, etc. Cute new puppy!

9. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

He looks so bright and curious I think he will find a name for himself soon, then he just needs to let you know what it is smile

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

come here,

Biscuit
    Harvey
    Charlie
    Marcus
    Patch
    Snickers

He's adorable! Be sure to let us know. smile  He's a lucky dog!

11. Hugh Williamson profile image77
    Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years ago

He reminds me of the dog in the old "Our Gang" comedies. His name was "Petey"
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5413439_f248.jpg

12. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 12 years ago

How come nobody names their dogs "Fido" or "Bowzer" any more. How about an old traditional name like that. Call him by several names until he responds to one. Let him choose his own name!

13. profile image0
    SunnyJayposted 12 years ago

She is right you know, they often choose their own names. I named my cat Sparkle but often said, look at that little girl, or what a pretty little girl you are. Well, one day when I was talking to my daughter about her and I said little girl, she (my cat) looked right at me. I discovered she did not respond to Sparkle but came right to me when I said little girl. So "Little Girl" it is.

14. R.S. Hutchinson profile image71
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

According to dog trainers one syllable names are best for dogs.

What about "Jax"

15. wordscribe43 profile image89

Oh my gosh!!! You guys are the best.  So many great names.  I'm going through them all one by one. 

Thanks so much, you guys.  smile

16. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Popeye, Ruff, Carlos, Heinz...

Heinz because he's 57 varieties

Oh... "Heinz" is good, too.  This is getting harder and harder, so many good names.

17. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Actually, he looks like a 'Jack' to me smile

You're spoilt for choice now smile

1. Dolores Monet profile image95
      Dolores Monetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He does look like a Jack.

18. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

What about Rebel? It seems the poor little dog has had a bit of a rebellious existence, through no fault of his own. That was also the name of the dog in Champion the Wonder Horse (surely one of the greatest TV shows ever produced...wasn't it?! tongue) OK, so he's not a German Shepherd but that doesn't really matter.

(How sad am I with the theme tune from Champion the Wonder Horse playing on YouTube as I type this! smile )

Whatever you decide to name him, the important thing is the love I am sure he will know and the great future he has in store.

19. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

MANGO - you can't go wrong with a name like that! big_smile

Mango is good, too.  Agh!  This is hard.

20. miccimom profile image60
    miccimomposted 12 years ago

He is sooo cute!  He seems like a Jack to me.......but I did like the other Hubbers choices, Harvey and Petey!  Congratulations on your new family member!

21. seamist profile image60
    seamistposted 12 years ago

He looks like a Bandit to me.

22. sinbad27 profile image69
    sinbad27posted 12 years ago

Zeus

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Was Sinbad not a pirate?

23. wordscribe43 profile image89

Wow... every time I log on I get another option.  We are leaning towards Harvey for now.  We like Petey, too but my son's name is Peter.  I guess we could change my son's name.  lol

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am saving this name for a future dog but Gratch is my next name for a dog.

Gratch is a character from the Sword of Truth series.

If you like it, its yours.  LOL like I could stop you.

24. carolp profile image79
    carolpposted 12 years ago

I suggest Jolly, Jollie. Benny. Good luck. My dog's name is Benda. We adopted her name given from the owner. Here in Switzerland they named the dog depending on number of births of the mother. The first birth dogs are named beginning with letter A, second birth B and so on. My dog Benda belongs to the second birth so all the 8 dogs names beginn with letter B.

25. kmuise profile image65
    kmuiseposted 12 years ago

He looks like  a "Phil" to me...

26. Pamela Sarzana profile image58
    Pamela Sarzanaposted 12 years ago

Lewis
    Louie
    Dooley
    Marcus
    Trick
    Captain
    Digger
    Gage
    Gunner
    Nipper
    Doc

27. profile image57
    MCanestorpposted 12 years ago

Benny. He looks like a Benny to me.

28. wavegirl22 profile image47
    wavegirl22posted 12 years ago

He Looks like a "Patches" to me  ..

29. jennysbus profile image61
    jennysbusposted 12 years ago

REX!

30. laptop-computer profile image60
    laptop-computerposted 12 years ago

hello wordscribe43

perhaps some asian name:

tukul
    gogon
    jojon
    bopak

31. Kelly North profile image61
    Kelly Northposted 12 years ago

Adorable dog, he looks like a Jack to me.

1. noenhulk profile image60
      noenhulkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can also add "topak" A good name coz he knows many tricks.

32. rembrandz profile image79
    rembrandzposted 12 years ago

Hey these too names came up...sorry it's not so cute....though I simply love pets...
    But when I looked at him I thought of 2 words...Black-eye and Pirate.
    So making it sound positive I thought of these too.
    "Black-eyed Peas" or Pirate (a loooong one - Pirate of the Carribean).
    Sorry ignore it if it offends you.
    TC

1. rembrandz profile image79
      rembrandzposted 12 years agoin reply to this

sorry spell-checking my post...too=two yikes/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)