New Hubbers Need Your Comments and Ups/Downs

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Perspycacious profile image63
    Perspycaciousposted 12 years ago

It is especially important, particularly in support of new Hubbers, that when we have read one of their Hubs, we indicate our reaction by taking the few seconds needed to indicate our reaction to their Hub (funny, awesome, useful, interesting, etc.). Not only might it be a needed encouragement and reward for their creative time, but the accumulation of those comments over time builds their public credibility when new readers see their scores for their past Hubs.
    Let's take those few seconds to support their efforts.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is exactly why we have the HubGreeters team!  But you don't need to be a HubGreeter to make a difference in a new Hubber's day.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree that reading and commenting on Hubs is a good way to encourage new Hubbers, while they're waiting for their Hubs to gain traction with the search engines.  However don't fool yourself that it will make any significant contribution to their ultimate success.

The HubPages community is great, but the readership you'll get from it is tiny compared to the readership you'll get from search engines.  Over time, the vast majority of your readers will come from Google, Yahoo and Bing - and they won't even know what your scores mean, or care how many comments you have.

3. Spencer Camus profile image60
      Spencer Camusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What lovely sentiment. I'm still relatively new (I feel) and love it when I get good feedback on my hubs. I was encouraged from  the off, especially when it was feedback from long established or widely followed hubbers.

Truth be told, I've been pretty slack on reading and commenting on anything recently. Shame on me! *slaps self on wrist*

I will endeavour to do more, once I've shifted a load of work I have on.

2. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

Typically I am a cynical, sarcastic bombast in these forums, but I actually agree with your post. At least to a point.

Many people come here and decide to "try it" with their writing. It may be that writing is their main purpose; it may be that they are really only wanting to make money and view writing as a vehicle for that; or it may be some combination of those and who knows what else, but regardless, I think that if there is to be a continued sense of community on HP long term--which I know I enjoyed immensely my first year on HP and still do in the degree to which it still exists now--it requires a bit of effort on the part of the more experienced.

Whatever you can spare, you know? Don't have to crap on the crappy hubs, but if something is good, say so. Heck, even if it's just okay but suggests there's a chance that, with continued effort and some reading of tips and advice, they will eventually do well, why not say so.

None of us wants to write in a vacuum, and everyone likes encouragement, even people who say they don't.

3. Rising Caren profile image80
    Rising Carenposted 12 years ago

I agree with this post but there is one thing that bothers me....

Why "New"?
    I think it should be "All Hubbers Needs Your Comments and Ups/Downs". We all need some support smile

4. JT Walters profile image70
    JT Waltersposted 12 years ago

I think new people need more modeling at the beginning. I know I needed it and still do.  So I think all of use can use rating to help us become better writers especially those who are new. I try to read as many as i publish a day and then if not that then at least 5 a day on average.  Sometimes I don't have a comment but I will rate.  That is if it is something I understand if I don't understand I try to avoid passing judgement unless it is really well written period.

5. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

Yeah, it's not just new people, Rising Caren. Everyone wants to know someone else knows they exist, acknowledge their contribution. But I think the OP, and JT Walters have a point that new people might need it more. It's that ice-breaking thing, you know? Nobody likes being the "new guy" and then being ignored. We all really appreciate that first person who says "hello" to us in a new environment, even if when its all played out, they turned out not to be our favorite person in that new micro-universe.

1. JT Walters profile image70
      JT Waltersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agreed

6. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

Support from other hubbers is nice but if you want to make money you need to focus on getting traffic from search engines, especially Google.

Once you start making money that will really give you a boost.

Sadly, it usually takes longer than six weeks before the traffic from those sources is enough to motivate a new writer.

p.s. I would avoid bold in your hubs, Perspycacious. It will alienate readers and possibly search engines too.

1. JT Walters profile image70
      JT Waltersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And I really agree.

2. Perspycacious profile image63
      Perspycaciousposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good thought Will, and uses more ink to print, also.  I think I started Bold for my mother's ease in reading (at 103 and some cataracts.) Added Note:  I was not asking for Hubber comments for myself, although of course they are always welcome.  It just struck me that people could write good comments about how much they liked the New Hubber's Hub, but weren't taking the time to Vote Up and mark its qualities.  In the long run those count.

7. natures47friend profile image71
    natures47friendposted 12 years ago

Hi. I am about to publish my first hub and definitely need some modelling like JT Walters said.
    I agree with perspycacious and love your comments Shadesbreath. But everyone deserves a chance to try...don't they?

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
      Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They do, Natures47friend. Everyone does deserve a chance.

BUT, "everyone" in the writing universe would do well to dwell within themselves as writers rather than within the realm of outside opinion.

I do, totally, get the need for support and encouragement, but sometimes you just have to labor in silence and let the quality of your effort speak for itself. The old "cream rises to the top of the pail" thing.

It's the disappointed expectation of approval that bites, and that pain distracts from the fact that respect is earned over time. So, come to this with the purpose of writing well, learning etc., and give the community time to discover you. They will. Especially if you PARTICIPATE in the community. I all-caps that because so many come wanting to "get" rather than give.

Hopefully you'll publish soon, before I go to bed. I can't help but being curious. smile

8. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Ayup.  And that is something I forget to do, so I am happy to be reminded.

9. Max Dalton profile image84
    Max Daltonposted 12 years ago

As a new hubber who just asked for feedback and received it very quickly in a separate post about an hour ago before I found this one, it feels good when the people who've been around here for a while take a second to give you feedback in any capacity.

10. authorfriendly profile image65
    authorfriendlyposted 12 years ago

I think we should define "new" as the first five or ten thousand views. I know at 5K or so I am still a newbie in skill and knowledge at least.

11. Infiniteresearch profile image68
    Infiniteresearchposted 12 years ago

I'm about as new to this as they come and I truly appreciate the votes and advice I have received from other hubbers. Your forum is a wonderful reminder.

12. Xenonlit profile image59
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

I try to read a few every day and to give encouraging words to the good ones. There are a lot of good ones to encourage, too! I did alright at first, but things seem to have died down.

13. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Agree with Marisa. Hub scores do not truly reflect the number of views a hub gets and its earnings and thus are meaningless.

While an intelligent comment or two might add substance to a hub, the idiotic voting system is absolutely useless and makes this site look as if it is populated by illiterate schoolchildren, particularly with the insistence on the ridiculous "awesome". If a hub gains sufficient interest from a reader, it might be worth a comment. Including a automated push-button comment system denigrates the whole experience in my opinion. I have never, ever selected one of those options and never will. I really wish I had the facility to disable them on my hubs.

14. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

WriteAngled: I agree with you on those vote up vote down, etc.  They do not bring traffic.  If somebody takes the same amount of time to do the stupid things, use that tiime to hit Google + and other share buttons.  Sharing with those outside of Hub pages, is where we need the traffic from.  But I notice not too many use those buttons on hubs, but they will vote up or down, have 20 awsome etc votes, yet not but one or two shares.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Very, very good point.  I hadn't thought of it before, but it's an excellent reason to get rid of the voting buttons.

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've never understood what the voting buttons are for - is that how they ranked the top 200 new hubbers?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

No, it's just used to calculate a small portion of HubScore.

15. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Well! I got curious and went searching.  What is the value of the vote up and down buttons.  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BUT A FEEL GOOD OR FEEL BAD BUTTON. OR MAKE SOMEBODY FEEL BAD BY VOTING DOWN.

http://hubpages.com/question/136177/exa … swer352154

16. LindaSmith1 profile image60

This is a response I pasted here from the link I posted earlier:

Once upon a Hub... the up and down votes used to be viewable. (this was a few years ago when they were first added as a feature) And instantly, everyone became obsessed about them, especially down votes. People wanted to know just who was voting them down.

And thus, admin decided to make that info not viewable, and have since said that it's just a tiny fraction of what goes into a HubScore calculation.

So, to go back to your original question... very little happens when someone votes a Hub up or down.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)