Am I the only one with HP ads turned off?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (50 posts)
  1. wordscribe43 profile image89
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

I will admit right off the bat I don't think my comparative studies between having HP ads on versus off have been very scientific.  However, I am NOT impressed with my earnings when I have HP ads on.  What I make with them on I consider a terrible Google Adsense day.  So, I'm giving up on them and sticking with Adsense only.  Am I the only one left?

1. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have used Adsense only for months. I got nowhere with HP Ads. But I made money with the Adsense ads.
      Since the "season" for my money making hubs is closing down from their peak time, I may consider trying HP Ads one month to see if they have improved any.
      It seemed when I had the HP Ads, they did not match my content. So I had no reason to use them in the past.

2. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nope, I used HP Ads for a week, I was enabled during the second wave when they began rolling out the program for a few hundred hubbers at a time. This was April last year but I didn't like anything affecting my Adsense either, I like the way Adsense goes straight into my bank.

2. wordscribe43 profile image89
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

Well, I'm not the only one then...  I feel so restless with them on, fearing I'm missing one of those insanely great Adsense days... the kind of days I'd never get with HP ads alone.  Guess I'm a thrill seeker.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah Right... Say that on the end of a Bungy or 10,000 ft up and over the coast when they push you outta the plane for the first time! big_smile

3. viking305 profile image93
    viking305posted 12 years ago

No I have them off too.  Had them on quite a few times but always takes away too much money from my Adsense earnings.  I have to get about another 10 dollars I think to reach payout and then that is it.

On average it was 1 to 2 dollars on HP Ads and 2 to 4 Euro on Adsense.  When HP ads were off I got on average 9 to 15 euro a day so no contest really.  I put it on last month for about 10 days to try to reach the payout but my earnings were too far down.

But I suppose really it depends on the hubs you write.  I am sure certain hubs would bring in a decent amount of earnings from HP ads.  Depends what HubPages is advertising.

Maybe those who do very well with HP ads could let us know as well.

4. Rosie2010 profile image66
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I have never turned off HPAds.  I want to experiment, but I'm earning 5X more on HPAds than Adsense so I'm afraid to rock the boat.  I'm getting Adsense paycheck every two months, even with the new HPAds layout, so I'm happy with that.  Would I make more money on Adsense if I turn off HPAds?  I don't know.. but considering Adsense requires clicks and HPAds just views, most probably not.  So I will leave it be... for now anyway.

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

"Guess I'm a thrill seeker"

Yes, Hub Ads is less exciting than Adsense.  You get your earnings figure once per day and it remains within certain parameters - no really wild fluctuations.  It took me a while to get used to living without the ongoing rollercoaster of Adsense earnings, but although Hub Ads are a little boring, they do earn me more money on average.

wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Totally boring!  lol  But, in my case not as profitable.  I seem to make about $50 more with Adsense alone than with HP ads turned on.  I wonder why it's different from hubber to hubber.  Is it topics?  Sheer traffic numbers?  I wonder...

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
        PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have other websites where it is Adsense only, but the CPM is much lower than the Hub Ads rate, even when I factor in the 40% that HP extract from my pages' total earnings.

It's quite feasible for someone who knows what they're doing to do better with Adsense, however, which is why I'm glad that we have the choice!  ;-)

I have considered doing an experiment and switching off Hub Ads for say a month, but my traffic is so up and down nowadays it's difficult to find a good time.  Plus I am concerned about missing out financially.

Making the choice is soooo difficult, isn't it?  When I switch them off, I feel stressed.  When I switch them on, I'm sure I'm missing out on great money.  It haunts me, really.  It starts to feel like playing the stock market!  yikes

As I said, I'm NOT totally convinced I've done the best case study here.  It's hard to do an accurate one, really.  Especially since I'm continually adding new hubs.  So, I rely on CPM... which is better with Google ads alone.

With HP ads on, my best hubs' earnings are just obliterated.

2. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The way to do it, Paul, is to switch off HPads for the month and then calculate your CPM for total income.  Add together HPad income, adsense (and even Amazon if you want to) and divide it by the views.

Do that again for a month with HPads off. 

Compare the two CPM values.  The income may vary because of varying traffic, but the CPM should tell the tale.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
            PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I understand that, wilderness.  I was trying to say that the problem is that there hasn't really been a good 2 months when my traffic hasn't been disrupted in some major way by Google, or the introduction of subdomains, or seasonal factors, since the Hub Ads were introduced.  The Oct-Dec run up to Xmas can't be easily compared with the month or 2 imediately following Xmas, because of what the advertisers are willing to pay.

The varying traffic can effect the CPM, because the weighting of it towards specific types of hub at certain times of year can have a major effect.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, wilderness, just stating how difficult it is.  All in all, I'll probably stick with Hub Ads, but if I could choose the ads for individual hubs, rather than a one-size-fits-all, I would prefer it.  :-)

6. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

I don't know about the others but post panda I see a lot of low CPC values from adsense clicks generated on my other websites.

7. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
    Hestia DeVotoposted 12 years ago

My HubPages ad earnings are so low, I've just recently turned off my HP ads to see what I get with AdSense alone.

8. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

I have never tried HPads, I did have my highest Adsense earning month ever in January.  January is the first month that I made a payout in one lunar cycle.  smile

Congrats, Reality Bytes.  Same with me, January was great!  smile

9. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

I don't have HP ads on either. The few times I tried my Adsense tanked so fast, it was unbelievable. January was a great
    month for me and February is doing pretty well so far. Not about to rock the boat!

10. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

So it seems there is a split jury here.  My adsence (aka ad-cents) is miserable, but HP is consistant and a higher monthly total than I ever earned with AS. A little Amazon is ok, too.

11. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

I do very well on HP Ads, but it never fails to amaze me how many people still don't understand just why their Adsense earnings drop dramatically when they go on to HP Ads! Of course they do, your adverts drop to just one from Adsense per page, the point is at the end of the month do you earn more? In my case I earn well into 3 figures a month from HP Ads, another 2 figures from Adsense. I would not expect Adsense income to stay at the same levels if I am dramatically reducing the amount of advert space they have in favour of HP Ads (even though many of those Ads are Adsense at a glance, they are being paid out by HP Ad programme). On HP Ads the only Adsense block paid out by Adsense is the last one on the bottom right of each Hub, which seems to be something not being allowed for by those who say their Adsense earnings drop when they use HP Ads.

Personally I am definitely much better off overall on HP Ads, and I did try the whole 'turning it off for a month' experiment to check this out and make proper comparisons.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. It's almost an either/or equation, since with HP Ads enabled, you have only one Adsense slot available. All that matters is your combined monthly total.

I, too, felt uncomfortable with HP Ads at first - I missed the stats available through Adsense.  Then I started to earn income through HP Ads and learned to stop worrying about it.  I did try a month with/a month without and my combined earnings with HP Ads was far better than Adsense alone.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I understood that when I've tried HP ads (and I didn't do horribly with them, by any means), but the HP ads averages combined with the lowered AS averages still didn't amount to some of my common averages with AS only - not by a long shot.  Over the course of a month, and with things like traffic changes or my switching (that type of thing) it's been hard to see an actual monthly comparison because the most recent HP ads trial was exactly one full month, but no other full months.

I think who does better with which "plan" can depend on the kind of subjects a person writes about, and whether they lend themselves well to the HP ads.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
        mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree Lisa, I just keep on seeing people (not necessarily you) in different threads saying 'I don't use HP Ads because my Adsense earnings drop dramatically when I do'. The reason for this is so obvious to anyone who checks the way the adverts are split between Adsense only and HP Ads and Adsense combined, that it warrants pointing out each time why this is the case, and why the only figure that matters is the overall earnings, not the Adsense earnings.

12. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I've tried HP ads a couple of times.  The earnings with that and AS versus AS only can sometimes be pretty close, but I settled back to Ad Sense only.  There can be a pattern with AS only, and if I don't do anything to mess up the pattern (for example, switch to HP ads or make some other big change across my stuff), a good pattern is something I like to stick with. If some big, dramatic, thing happens with either of the programs I may switch; but for now, I've just decided to be happy with AS only and aiming/hoping to have more and more of those substantially high days and averages that, for me, aren't usually a lot different from the HP ads/AS combo high's.

13. soni2006 profile image75
    soni2006posted 12 years ago

HP ads are working excellent for me since the time I have turned them on. The earnings are superb, and I would recommend everyone who has more than 10000 plus page views per day to immediately switch on HP ads. I would like to tell you that at 10000+ traffic you will be earning between 25 to 27 dollars on a daily basis only on HP. The adsense income is again there for you. It's very simple, with HP ads turned on, you can immediately bank upon on your income as they are based on page views whereas you can never imagine what day is going to be tomorrow for you if you will remain with adsense on and HP turned off, as adsense ads are based on clicks. I think you got my point.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with your figures Soni. -- I have not been here quite as long as you, do not have the huge number of hubs or views that you have, but-- proportionately (with 1/8 of the hubs and less than 1/10 of the views) I would say that my daily earnings are equivalent,( about 1/8 of yours) and I'm happy with that.
      People need to realize that 'aging',  and numbers of hubs (that get views) are the keys to earnings. Simple as that.

2. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

If I ever multiple my views 5 fold, I will use HP Ad program lol

14. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

Misty, I get why the Adsense income dropped dramatically, but the fact was, I wasn't making any money off of HP at all. Pennies, maybe. Simple as that.  I can make more money faster with Adsense than with HP ads.  I think it has alot to do with the type of articles I write. Half the time the HP ads had absolutely nothing to do with my articles which I think detracts from their credibility. smile

Rochelle is right, it does have to do with the time your hubs are up and how long it takes for them to get established.  It took 8 months here before I started seeing some income.

Not sure why everything has to develop into a debate here.  Each person's experience is going to be different depending on what they write, how they get traffic to their articles, and yes, the quality of what they write.

I do see dips on some days with Adsense, but the good days outweigh the bad in my opinion. Each to his or her own!

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that you are correct in the the topic affects the earnings, not only for specific hubs but in a general way.

To see this you only have to look back a couple of months to when HPads was running the Drano ads on "home" category hubs.  The CPM for those hubs was phenomenal but fell by 50% when the Drano campaign ended.  This is going to happen on a continual basis as the advertisers signed up by HP change - types and styles of hubs will see an increased earnings level that comes and goes with the advertisers.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89

Oh don't get me wrong, for some people I totally agree Adsense works better than Hub Ads, I suspect sales hubs work better with Adsense, and informative Hubs work better with Hub Ads. It does take time for Hubs to become successful, and like you my earnings didn't start to take off until I had been on HP for about 8 months ++. It was well over a year before I hit payout. What I was saying was that in many threads (not just this one), I see people refer to their reasoning behind not using HP Ads is that when they do their Adsense drops dramatically. I suspect many of these people don't realise the way the adverts are distributed, and why it is only logical that Adsense would drop if most of the adverts are suddenly paid out from HP's Ad program instead. Fortunately you are not one of those people who doesn't know this, but there are many who could benefit from being made aware of this smile

As shown below the bottom left image for anyone unaware is the Adsense only layout of adverts (all in blue), the bottom right image is Hubpages Ad program split, the only blue advert being the one remaining Adsense one.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6124714_f248.jpg

1. Ingenira profile image75
        Ingeniraposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How unfortunate that the adverts appear at the bottom right is often not related to the article content, resulting in low Adsence income.  Is there a way to change the advert such that only the related advert is displayed ?

No, as far as I know there is no way of doing that sad

15. sabrebIade profile image79
    sabrebIadeposted 12 years ago

I have only been running HPAds for a little less than a month and for me they are within a dollar or two a day of straight Adsense.
    No real difference.
    BUT, I am far from getting the eBay ads implemented on all my Hubs.

16. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I hate threads like this, because then I go back to experiment with HPads on/off.

My traffic levels are now lower than they were 18 months ago with a fraction of the hubs, but my adsense earnings then were higher than I am now getting with HPads/adsense combined.

Any time I have tried to switch HPads off, my Adsense has not recovered.

So I kept it on.

Last night, I switched HPads off, but only for a couple of hours.

Today I find I am on half earnings, and half earnings takes me well under the dollar mark sad

It was only off for two hours and in that time I hardly got any visits, so how come my total visitor number has dropped by half according to HPads?

Just a guess Izzy, because I am not sure exactly what you mean about your views being 'half', but is this section from the FAQ a possible answer:

"Why are my Ad Program impressions lower than my Hub views?

The reported Ad Program impressions are lower than your Hub views. These numbers are not supposed to be the same. In general, for every 1000 Hub views, you should be seeing about 600 Ad Program impressions. This is explained in further detail in our impression sharing program.

Ad Program reports are on a calendar day basis, whereas Hub views are based on a moving 24-hour window. However, if you view your report looking at a longer period like "month views," these numbers should be fairly close. Some other things to keep in mind:

Some of your Hub views could be from people using ad blocking software/plugins, so in that case, ad impressions will not register.
          Hub views that happen in the HubHopper are not considered Ad Program impressions since there are no ads on Hubs in the HubHopper.
          Some people might click away from your Hub too quickly before all ads are displayed.
          Ads are disabled or you have your Ad Level Setting set to "None" on some of your Hubs"

1. IzzyM profile image85
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh no I didn't mean that - I know HPads views are always way lower than total HP views.

Normally my HPad views are pretty much the same day to day.

Yesterday those views were half the normal (and I'm only talking about the views shown in HPads) while the ads were only turned off for two hours, and even then, not a time when I get most views.

I'm wondering if perhaps they stayed off even although it says 'active'.

Didn't HP staff say something earlier about taking away the ability to switch it off and on too frequently?

Either way, I'll know tomorrow.

Strange then, I will be interested to see your results tomorrow. Perhaps a longer test would be a good idea, e.g. 24 hours or even a week.

1. IzzyM profile image85

I didn't mean it to be a 2 hour test, I just got cold feet.

Better a little with HPads every day than nothing at all with Adsense. I've tested for a week or so at a time before, and HPads came out on top each time.

17. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
    Hestia DeVotoposted 12 years ago

A two hour test sounds like a bad methodology to me.  How can you test something as complex and variable as web traffic in just a miniscule two hour sample? 

I switched off my HP ads at the beginning of this month and am going to leave them off for the entire month to see how they perform.

So far, in four days, I've made almost as much money from AdSense as I made for the entire month of January.  If that holds up, it's going to mean I earn much more from AdSense alone than I did using HubAds and AdSense combined.

1. IzzyM profile image85

That is excellent to hear! I might try it again in March, but for the whole month, not just a week or even, 2 hours...

1. profile image0
        jenuboukaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am with Izzy  here.
        I began with both then freaked out I was losing money, even if it was a couple of cents, switched to AS only, then switched them on (HP) in January, now I am getting 3 x as much traffic due to what I don't know. Time?  Now I read this and want to shut it off again. ARGGG!
        I see more daily earnings with HP ads than AS, but I thought is was based on impressions not clicks with Hp. 
        I am officially confused, again.

HP Ads earnings are based on views (impressions), you are correct. Adsense earnings are based on clicks. It seems hubs designed to sell stuff do better on clicks, and hubs designed to answer questions e.g. how to, why, where, what etc, do better on impressions/views. Hope this helps smile

I think you could be on to something here, Misty... I mean about the types of hubs that seem to fare better with Adsense only.  I've been suspecting the same thing.  No way to be sure, of course...  But, about the best hypothesis I've been able to come up with, too.

2. profile image0
            jenuboukaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Misty,
            Yes that helps a great deal.  That makes a lot of sense.  I guess for me the amount that each accredits my views/impressions equals out to pay the same.  While it may only appear in pennies it really comes down to the traffic.  As it may feel like pennies a day it can add up once the traffic is by the thousands per day.  I see my traffic beginning to steady out and for my hubs HP ads apply better.  Although lately some of the ads are a bit way off as to complying with my overall subject.   At any rate your explanation is awesome, Thank You!

Glad you found this useful smile

18. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

Aaargh again! Now you're making me think I should try switching HP Ads off for a trial, because my views are way down.

19. dannyhodge profile image74
    dannyhodgeposted 12 years ago

I still don't fully understand the Adsense part of Hubpages. I have it on, and connected to my Adsense account in my HubPages settings, but i don't have a clue where to find how much im earning on Adsense.

If its on the Adsense account - then where? I have ads on my own sites going too, and they work fine on it - but i never see anything from Hubpages.

Thanks a lot.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can add your HubPages profile as a channel within Adsense. You can add individual hubs as well, but that gets fiddly if you've got more than a few hubs, and there's a maximum number of channels anyway.

You could also try learning the arcane ways of Google Analytics. It's bloody complicated, but you do get lots of nice graphs.

1. dannyhodge profile image74
        dannyhodgeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I use analytics anyway smile And does it show up your income if you set it up as a channel?

1. profile image0
          EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can go into URL Channels and tell it to look at a specific date range, e.g. the past 30 days (the default is the previous day). It shows data like no. of views, no. of clicks, CTR & those all-important earnings.

Even if you use Analytics, it's still useful to have Adsense channels set up for each of your main URLs, because it's so much quicker to get a global overview of how much each of your sites have earned in the past month or whatever.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)