Multi-tasking

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (39 posts)
  1. alekhouse profile image71
    alekhouseposted 14 years ago

There's evidence that women multi-task more than men. Wondered if that was really true. How many of you hubbers multi-task and to what extreme?

1. profile image51
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would actually agree with that, I am crap at multi-tasking !

1. profile image50
        Early C.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ther is also evidence that multi-tasking drops your productivity to a point where you should have performed each task seperatly

2. TrinaLynne profile image70
      TrinaLynneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some days I can't walk and chew bubble gum....lol. But usually I can type, deal with the kids, make dinner and talk on the phone.....lol. Just call me superwoman. lol lol

2. feeweewv profile image61
    feeweewvposted 14 years ago

I have to say, I am a multi-tasler to the extreme. Right now, I am texting on my phone, hubbing, cooking dinner and watching Oprah.  I have to say, also, I am fully involved in each lil project.

3. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

some men can watch football, and drink beer at the same time....

1. profile image48
      CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Captain can't, he even spills that smile

2. Amanda Severn profile image94
      Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So they say!

3. alekhouse profile image71
      alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good one, Brenda!

4. Teresa McGurk profile image60
      Teresa McGurkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol  but when you ask them what the score is, they always look at their watches, have you noticed that one?

1. profile image0
        \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I will look out for that next time...

4. Dolores Monet profile image96
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

multi-tasking is an over-rated ability. when you multi-task, you really don't concentrate on any one thing and teach yourself to lose focus and, in effect, become ADD

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The trick is in knowing what tasks can be done at the same time.  Letting the washing machine run while the pasta is boiling while you're waiting for hair to dry while you're writing are just a matter of quickly checking on whatever you've got going. (Voila - at some point the laundry's done, dinner's cooked, your hair is ready for the curling iron, and you've written an article.  smile  )

2. alekhouse profile image71

You are absolutely right, except for the part about ADD. If you have ADD or are prone to it, multi-tasking could make it worse, but it wont cause it. 

The brain can only process one thing at a time, so when you're multi-tasking it has to switch back and forth among the various tasks.

But we're not talking whether or not multi-tasking is good or bad. The question asked who does it the more, men or women, and to what extreme.

1. Christenstock profile image57
        Christenstockposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am a multi-tasking machine! If cigarettes were waterproof, I'd smoke and surf at the same time.

On the ADD note, males suffer more from such disorders and learning disabilities by more than 50% over females. Because of this, I would say that the ability for females to learn and multi-task are considerably higher than males. Some MITers have discovered a gene more prevalent in females over males, thus providing some support to this multi-tasking theory; which may also lead to the premise of higher ADD stats in males over females.

5. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

does that mean he is not a man or he can not multi task...

1. profile image51

The Captain is deff all man but I have already said I can't multi-task, be impossible to do two things at once.

1. profile image48
        CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can smile

1. profile image51

Well ain't you just the cleverest lil thing, just remember yer shore leave finishes on Friday wench !

2. Enelle Lamb profile image72
        Enelle Lambposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cap'n - doesn't that depend on the task?

2. alekhouse profile image71

Heavens no! Honestly, I don't know what it means. We're just talkin' about what is and what isn't, not the implications of such. Actually I just wrote an article on it, on another site. I would put it on here, but I'm afraid the hub police would get me.

6. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I can't multi-task. At. All.

And I'm proud of it. One thing at a time. I like to give my full attention yadda yadda.

*wanders away yapping on the phone, carrying coffee and kicks the Dragon*

7. dipless profile image69
    diplessposted 14 years ago

Yeah us men are no good at multi-tasking, makes me sad i want to be able to do more than one thing at once sad

8. cindyvine profile image67
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

I have to be able to multi-task to get things done!

9. trish1048 profile image68
    trish1048posted 14 years ago

I feel women do it more, simply because when you have kids, more often than not, the mom has to juggle many things.  All the father has to do is go to work, come home, plop on the couch, and grab the remote, then yell, hey hon, bring me a beer smile

Seriously, I can and do multi-task both at work and at home.  I hate it at work because my belief is, as another poster said, bits of things are getting done.  I would much rather work on one, possibly two projects at a time.  When you have to handle more than that, the quality suffers.  Add to the multi-tasks constant interruptions to drop what you're doing to handle yet another issue, well, it makes for a very stressful work day.  When I was in a production environment, all they cared about were the numbers, however, they also wanted 100% accuracy.  Well, guess what?  It's impossible to have both.  If someone out there says it is possible, then I guess they walk on water too.

"I feel women do it more, simply because when you have kids, more often than not, the mom has to juggle many things.  All the father has to do is go to work, come home,"

This is exactly right, according to the research: Women have been doing this since early times. Pioneer women are marvelous examples of multi-taskers. They cooked, cleaned, did the laundry, chopped the wood, took care of the kids, the house and the family; made their clothes, etc. etc. And the guys went hunting.

10. HealthCare Basics profile image61
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

I can multi-task if need be. I ocassionally am writing a Hub, checking Mom is not lighting my deck on fire when she takes in a cig, cook dinner, and talk on the Bluetooth..... and that's when I noticed my one little dog lifting a leg on the trash can because I failed to hear his signal to go out..... smile

11. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

My other half maintains it's impossilbe to look after a child and do anything else (cooking, cleaning) at the same time. I don't have that problem (-:

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a gender thing, ya know smile

2. megs78 profile image60
      megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

My husband has never actually voiced that its impossible to look after children and keep a house at the same time, but when I leave him and the kids, I come back to some pretty big messes.  The thing is, I let it go, because he is a really good dad, and when he's there, he's there.  I, on the other hand, do it all, but for some reason, I'm good at it.  I don't really know why I am, I just am.  Must be a mom thing.  or girl thing.  Who knows?

smile
      Megs

1. LondonGirl profile image82
        LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I take the piss, but my OH is fantastic with our son, so I don't do it too much (-:

12. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

When my kids were little, if I left them with their father for a half hour while I ran to the store, he would essentially situate himself on the couch and truly "watch" them (not supervise, not intervene, not anything - just watch).   smile  Apparently, he wasn't a multi-tasking father either.

Got a good laugh out of this! Soooo funny

13. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Let's see. Right now I'm watching So You Think You Can Dance?, reading the forums, reading another site's forum, and petting the cat who is sitting next to me.

14. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 14 years ago

I usually have five or six different windows open on my laptop, and have three or four writing projects on the go at once, so I can go from one to the other.  At the moment I am IM-ing writing this, reading new hubs, writing two, and watching Hulu.com.

15. R. Blue profile image62
    R. Blueposted 14 years ago

I prefer intense concentration on one goal at a time... I like to savor the object of my attention......I eat one thing at a time.....saving the best for last.   Yes...I'm a great multitasker.

16. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

The only way for me to start, maintain and complete projects and run a home is to multitask.  It's not unusual for me.  I think that I'd be at a lost as to what to do if I didn't have at least 12 balls up in the air at the same time!!  big_smile

17. lafenty profile image66
    lafentyposted 14 years ago

I think multi-tasking is a necessity of life these days.

18. rapmanual profile image40
    rapmanualposted 14 years ago

I think its about getting things done when it's most needed at the right time. Just juggle things so they work that way, you don't need sticky notes, use a common text editor and minimize it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)