Is America "Exceptional"?

Jump to Last Post 51-86 of 86 discussions (407 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

@ediggity
    Regardless of whether people visit a country because they are curious or they want to have fun, more people  still chose to see France, rather than America.

However, it's even more complex than that. If  you add up all the people who go travling teach yesear, there are 400 million tourists each year of which only 54 million choose to go to the America. That means 350 million chose to go eglsewhere and the country which had the most visitors was France.

This was my last post to you because I'm busy. Thanks for the discussion. Have a good day. smile

1. ediggity profile image61
      ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you would be correct about more people choosing France, a country that borders 5 other countries, and is neighbors with the UK.  The US borders two countries and still received 54 million visitors.  That's pretty phenomenal considering the distance and cost to reach America from other countries.  Lastly, many Americans go on vacation in America, which is roughly 3.8 million square miles, and I would also love to see the statistics on what country the people traveled from. I suspect many are from America.   Glad to see America keeps you busy, don't hate on her to hard.  smile

1. John Holden profile image59
        John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You seem to think that there is great merit in many visitors to the US being US citizens, I don't get it!
        Surely that's a minus point, not a plus.
        How many US citizens hold a passport and use it, as I recall it's not many.

No, that's exactly my point.  Not to give credit to those Americans for vacations, and we still have 54 million visitors.  lol

2. profile image0

It’s finally settled. America is not the most Exceptional Country in the world. Israel is, for the following reasons.
    Israel has achieved all this while engaged in regular wars with an implacable enemy that seeks its destruction, and is economy continuously under strain by having to spend more per capita for its own protection than any other country on earth. This from a country just 55 years young having started off life on a
    very frontiers-like basis, whose population had mostly just emerged from the devastating World War II years.

1.    Israel has the highest ratio of university degrees to the population in the world.
    2.    Israel produces more scientific papers per capita than any other nation by a large margin - 109 per 10,000 people -- as well as one of the highest per capita rates of patents filed.
    3.    In proportion to its population, Israel has the largest number of
    startup companies in the world. In absolute terms, Israel has the
    largest number of startup companies than any other country in the world, except the US (3,500 companies mostly in hi-tech).
    4.    On a per capita basis, Israel has the largest number of biotech startups.
    5.    Israel has the highest average living standards in the Middle East .The per capita income in 2000 was over $17,500, exceeding that of the UK.
    6.    With an aerial arsenal of over 250 F-16s, Israel has the largest fleet of the aircraft outside of the US.
    7.    Israel's $100 billion economy is larger than all of its immediate neighbors combined.
    8.    Twenty-four per cent of Israel's workforce holds university degrees --ranking third in the industrialized world, after the United States and Holland - and 12 per cent hold advanced degrees.
    9.    Israel is the only liberal democracy in the Middle East.
    10.    In 1984 and 1991, Israel airlifted a total of 22,000 Ethiopian Jews at risk in Ethiopia, to safety in Israel.
    11.    -When Golda Meir was elected Prime Minister of Israel in 1969, she became the world's second elected female leader in modern times.
    12.     When the U. S. Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya was bombed in 1998, Israeli rescue teams were on the scene within a day -- and saved three victims from the rubble.
    13.     Israel has the third highest rate of entrepreneurship -- and the highest rate among women and among people over 55 - in the world
    14.     Relative to its population, Israel is the largest immigrant-absorbing nation on earth. Immigrants come in search of democracy, religious freedom, and economic opportunity.
    15.    Israel was the first nation in the world to adopt the Kimberly
    process, an international standard that certifies diamonds as "conflict free."
    16.     According to industry officials, Israel designed the airline industry's most impenetrable flight security. U. S. officials now look to Israel for advice on how to handle airborne security threats.
    17.     In 1991, during the Gulf War, the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra played a concert wearing gas masks as scud missiles fired by Saddam Hussein fell on Tel Aviv.
    18.     Israel has the world's second highest per capita of new books.
    19.    Israel is the only country in the world that entered the 21st century with a net gain in its number of trees, made more remarkable because this was achieved in an area considered mainly desert.
    20.    Israel has more museums per capita than any other country.
    21.    Israel has two official languages: Hebrew and Arabic.
    22.     Medicine... Israeli scientists developed the first fully computerized, no-radiation, diagnostic instrumentation for breast cancer.
    23.    An Israeli company developed a computerized system for ensuring proper administration of medications, thus removing human error from medical treatment. Every year in U. S. hospitals 7,000 patients die from treatment mistakes.
    24.    Israel's Given imaging developed the first ingestible video camera, so small it fits inside a pill. Used to view the small intestine from the inside, the camera helps doctors diagnose cancer and digestive disorders. (Our Arkady contributed to this project. Irit)
    25.    Researchers in Israel developed a new device that directly helps the heart pump blood, an innovation with the potential to save lives among those with heart failure. The new device is synchronized with the heart's mechanical operations through a sophisticated system of sensors.
    26.    Technology... With more than 3,000 high-tech companies and startups, Israel has the highest concentration of hi-tech companies in the world -- apart from the Silicon Valley, US.
    27.    In response to serious water shortages, Israeli engineers and agriculturalists developed a revolutionary drip irrigation system to minimize the amount of water used to grow crops.
    28.    Israel has the highest percentage in the world of home computers per capita.
    29.    Israel leads the world in the number of scientists and technicians in the workforce, with 145 per 10,000, as opposed to 85 in the U. S., over 70 in Japan, and less than 60 in Germany. With over 25% of its work force employed in technical professions. Israel places first in this category as well.
    30.    The cell phone was developed in Israel by Motorola, which has its largest development center in Israel.
    31.    Israel is ranked #2 in the world for venture capital funds right behind the US.
    32.    Outside the United States and Canada, Israel has the largest number of NASDAQ listed companies.
    33.    Most of the Windows NT operating system was developed by Microsoft-Israel.
    34.     The Pentium MMX Chip technology was designed in Israel at Intel.
    35.    Voice mail technology was developed in Israel.
    36.    Both Microsoft and Cisco built their only R&D facilities outside the US in Israel.
    37.    The technology for AOL Instant Messenger was developed in 1996 by four young Israelis.
    38.    A new acne treatment developed in Israel, the ClearLight device produces a high-intensity, ultraviolet-light-free, narrow-band blue light that causes acne bacteria to self-destruct -- all without damaging surroundings skin or tissue.
    39.    An Israeli company was the first to develop and install a large-scale solar-powered and fully functional electricity generating plant, in southern California's Mojave desert.

What other country in the world can lay claim to such an achievement?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lots of countries have achieved great things.  Can you remind me what financial support Israel gets from the US, and if it  is so successful, why does it need it?

I will give them one thing.  They can build walls.

1. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@ Mark.

Big Smile.

Precisely. smile

Yes, the strength of Israel is the Jewish disapora, just as America claims its strength is its diversity (many immigrants). 

Of course, many countries have achieved great things. That's precisely why the comment that America is exceptional is so idiotic. Nobody  denies that America is awesome. However, every country in the world can find things that make it exceptional...

wink

Well apart from Belgium of course.

I joke.  Which is what I should stick to, rather than trying to make a political point.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
            Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Two words.

Beer.
            Chocolate.

Not much else admittedly, but I think this is enough. big_smile

Yes, that's plenty.  Puts those pyramids in perspective.

I jest again, foolishly, but topically.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
        Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it's $4 billion a year or thereabouts. Like pouring money down a rat hole.

1. profile image59
          logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is the thing that Congress does best, pour our money down lots of ratholes!

2. AnnCee profile image67
      AnnCeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sophia Angelique,  Indeed Israel is a very exceptional miracle.  Despite Barack Obama's bad attitude toward it his new budget includes an increase in foreign aid to Israel which receives more from us than any other country.  I am absolutely in favor of this.   A miraculous number of Jews from so small a population have contributed to the world in ways that have won them the Nobel Prize.

-------------------------------------

4 Muslim vs. 129 Jewish Nobel Prizes?
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      The Global Islamic population is approximately 1,200,000,000,
      or 20% of the world population.

They have received the following Nobel Prizes:

Literature:
      1988 - Najib Mahfooz

Peace:
      1978 - Mohamed Anwar El-Sadat
      1994 - Yaser Arafat

Chemistry:
      1999 - Ahmed Zewa

TOTAL: FOUR

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      The Global Jewish population is approximately 14,000,000,
      or about 0.02% of the world population.

They have received the following Nobel Prizes:

Literature:
      1910 - Paul Heyse
      1927 - Henri Bergson
      1958 - Boris Pasternak
      1966 - Shmuel Yosef Agnon
      1966 - Nelly Sachs
      1976 - Saul Bellow
      1978 - Isaac Bashevis Singer
      1981 - Elias Canetti
      1987 - Joseph Brodsky
      1991 - Nadine Gordimer World

Peace:
      1911 - Alfred Fried
      1911 - Tobias Michael Carel Asser
      1968 - Rene Cassin
      1973 - Henry Kissinger
      1978 - Menachem Begin
      1986 - Elie Wiesel
      1994 - Shimon Peres
      1994 - Yitzhak Rabin

Physics:
      1905 - Adolph Von Baeyer
      1906 - Henri Moissan
      1907 - Albert Abraham Michelson
      1908 - Gabriel Lippmann
      1910 - Otto Wallach
      1915 - Richard Willstaetter
      1918 - Fritz Haber
      1921 - Albert Einstein
      1922 - Niels Bohr
      1925 - James Franck
      1925 - Gustav Hertz
      1943 - Gustav Stern
      1943 - George Charles de Hevesy
      1944 - Isidor Issac Rabi
      1952 - Felix Bloc h
      1954 - Max Born
      1958 - Igor Tamm
      1959 - Emilio Segre
      1960 - Donald A. Glaser
      1961 - Robert Hofstadter
      1961 - Melvin Calvin
      1962 - Lev Davidovich Landau
      1962 - Max Ferdinand Perutz
      1965 - Richard Phillips Feynman
      1965 - Julian Schwinger
      1969 - Murray Gell-Mann
      1971 - Dennis Gabor
      1972 - William Howard Stein
      1973 - Brian David Josephson
      1975 - Benjamin Mottleson
      1976 - Burton Richter
      1977 - Ilya Prigogine
      1978 - Arno Allan Penzias
      1978 - Peter L Kapitza
      1979 - Stephen Weinberg
      1979 - Sheldon Glashow
      1979 - Herbert Charle s Brown
      1980 - Paul Berg
      1980 - Walter Gilbert
      1981 - Roald Hoffmann
      1982 - Aaron Klug
      1985 - Albert A. Hauptman
      1985 - Jerome Karle
      1986 - Dudley R. Herschbach
      1988 - Robert Huber
      1988 - Leon Lederman
      1988 - Melvin Schwartz
      1988 - Jack Steinberger
      1989 - Sidney Altman
      1990 - Jerome Friedman
      1992 - Rudolph Marcus
      1995 - Martin Perl
      2000 - Alan J. Heeger

Economics:
      1970 - Paul Anthony Samuelson
      1971 - Simon Kuznets
      1972 - Kenneth Joseph Arrow
      1975 - Leonid Kantorovich
      1976 - Milton Friedman
      1978 - Herbert A. Simon
      1980 - Lawrence Robert Klein
      1985 - Franco Modigliani
      1987 - Robert M. Solow
      1990 - Harry Markowitz
      1990 - Merton Miller
      1992 - Gary Becker
      1993 - Robert Fogel

Medicine:
      1908 - Elie Metchnikoff
      1908 - Paul Erlich
      1914 - Robert Barany
      1922 - Otto Meyerhof
      1930 - Karl Landsteiner
      1931 - Otto Warburg
      1936 - Otto Loewi
      1944 - Joseph Erlanger
      1944 - Herbert Spencer Gasser
      1945 - Ernst Boris Chain
      1946 - Hermann Joseph Muller
      1950 - Tadeus Reichstein
      1952 - Selman Abra ham Waksman
      1953 - Hans Krebs
      1953 - Fritz Albert Lipmann
      1958 - Joshua Lederberg
      1959 - Arthur Kornberg
      1964 - Konrad Bloch
      1965 - Francois Jaco b
      1965 - Andre Lwoff
      1967 - George Wald
      1968 - Marshall W. Nirenberg
      1969 - Salvador Luria
      1970 - Julius Axelrod
      1970 - Sir Bernard Katz
      1972 - Gerald Maurice Edelman
      1975 - Howard Martin Temin
      1976 - Baruch S. Blumberg
      1977 - Roselyn Sussman Yalow
      1978 - Daniel Nathans
      1980 - Baruj Benacerraf
      1984 - Cesar Milstein
      1985 - Michael Stuart Brown
      1985 - Joseph L. Goldstein
      1986 - Stanley Cohen [& Rita Levi-Montalcini]
      1988 - Gertrude Elion
      1989 - Harold Varmus
      1991 - Erwin Neher
      1991 - Bert Sakmann
      1993 - Richard J. Roberts
      1993 - Phillip Sharp
      1994 - Alfred Gilman
      1995 - Edward B. Lewis

TOTAL: 129 ONE HUNDRED TWENTY NINE

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60
        uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes and Yassir Arafat had to wipe the blood of Lebanese Christians from his hands before accepting his award.

1. AnnCee profile image67

The prizes for politicians are a joke. BO got his for his plan to open a dialogue with Iran and make peace in the Middle East.   They should ask for their money back.

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
            Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does anybody really take that Nobel Peace prize seriously.  It's become more of a political joke, especially when Shiny got it.

I don't believe they are taken seriously anymore. Maybe they've always been in the hands of globalists to push their agenda.   Never looked into it.

3. lady_love158 profile image59
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

I found this which I think explains American exceptional well;

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/ … guest.html

4. profile image0

And now that we know that America isn’t exceptional, let’s look at some really awesome things that America does!

1.    America is amazing at distributing information. I found all the information I needed to fix up my life in America. It wasn’t that the information wasn’t out there. It was. And America is Number 1 at bringing useful information to anyone who is looking for it. Yes, lots of people don’t have information in America. But that’s because they aren’t looking. If one wants information and one makes even the slightest effort to look for it, in America it can be found. And remember, it’s information that changes lives. Smile.

2.    Americans are first responders when it comes to tragedy in other nations. There is a nation wide effort to give. Having lived in many other countries (as you all know by now), I can tell you that I have never witnessed anything like it. Americans give from their hearts in a big way!

3.    Despite all the ugly corporate shenanigans out there, the country is still a first class democracy. The fact that Obama became president means that a helluve lot of people voted for him and approved of him despite his ‘black’ skin. What that tells me is that while there will always be pockets of racism and bigotry in the world, in America, it is truly dead.

4.    On an individual basis, while I have torn my hair out at the level of ignorance, I can also say that I am truly impressed and touched by the number of people in this country with an olive branch in their hand, giving generously of their time and wisdom to others. Yes, they get on their high horse fast if they feel they have been insulted, but their first instinct is often to help. Again, I have never encountered this to this degree elsewhere.

5.    It has San Diego Comic-Con International and I don’t know anywhere else where one can get taught by the world’s most brilliants artists, actors, writers, and creators for the price of entrance is only $100 for the most amazing four days of one’s life. The San Diego Comic-Con is the world’s biggest run convention by volunteers (myself included) and each year it caters to close on 146,000 people who come from all over the world to hear what the world’s leading movie makers, comic book writers, authors, artists, etc. have to say. It is totally unique – and dare I say, exceptional?

5. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I second that Sophia. America treats people equally, generous, accommodating, always willing to help, happy (always laughing) people and proud of their history (and who they are) no matter what. There is no other place for my daughter to grow but here, and this is our home. And yes I traveled a lot, all places have to offer something unique, all have rich history and culture on their own, but America provides a venue for my daughters dreams and aspirations (she is only three by the way) LOL

6. lady_love158 profile image59
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

Only in America! What other country gives away FREE Golf Carts? LOLOL

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110203/ap_ … ax_credits

7. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

the romans thought they were exceptional.

Until their monetary policy crushed them

1. profile image59
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They were exceptional in many ways.  Monetary policy was just one facet of their downfall.  Politcal corruption, trying to do too much over too large of a geographical area, unemployment of the former military members.........
      Sound familiar?

And not to forget the Roman Empire lasted for about as long as the US has been in existence for. Not half a century or so.

8. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Well this attitude from our international brethren is really quite dismaying.
    You KNOW you all worship at the altar of America!
    Bow down to the almighty dominator of the world!
    The greatest country evah in the history of the universe!
    You're just all jealous because we can Russia from our house and you can't.
    Neener, neener, neener lol lol lol

1. lady_love158 profile image59
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes the rest of the world should show a little more gratitude and respect, it's American economic and military powers that allows them to live in their socialist fantasy lands!

No, you have to earn my gratitude and respect, you can't command it.
        As for the rest of your rant, do try to keep in touch with reality, look to your countries efforts to wipe out any country that shows socialist leanings, even to the point of installing tyrants to keep the people oppressed.

Ah but we do that to keep you Europeans safe in your socialist fairy lands! LOL

It seems John is biased, because he dislikes America.  lol

LOL! I know! But you have to admit, there is an element of truth in what I said. We spend more on defense than the next 14 countries combined and half of our descretionary spending is defense related, and much of our defense budget is foreign aid which also falls under other line items in the budget! Could you imagine if France had to protect the Suez canal or the straight of Hormuz, or had to fight pirates off Nigeria? These European countries don't know how lucky they rae to have America as their friend!

1. DTR0005 profile image60
                DTR0005posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Uh Lady, so our military spending, dumping tax money or borrowed money, into corporations (defense contractors) is great but dumping money into social programs is bad, is that right? I am just trying to figure out the depth of the duplicity in your thinking.... I mean as a liberal, I can see how pumping federal money into defense spending (private contractors) stimulates the economy - it pays employees, these employees spend their money here and there and pour it back into the ecomomy, etc . But apparently you can't see how giving a guy with nothing a $1000 doesn't benefit the economy. I mean if I had nothing and you gave me $1000 I would probably spend it on at least SOMETHING, right?... you know.. makes sense. But you give a guy with plenty of money a $1000 and he will stick it in the bank, maybe not even cash the check - who knows? I mean you being a mover and shaker in the drug business, a captain of industry should have money to spare - what would you do with it?

I didn't say such enormous defense expenditures were great, I said those expenditures made by American taxpayers that have benefited from America's prosperity and freedom, have removed the burden of self defense from Europe and other countries freeing up resources to be spent on social programs and entitlements. In spite of that most of those countries are near bankruptcy and I wonder what will happen when America can no longer afford to do what we've done in the past. It's in all the world's interest for America to remain economicly strong.

What absolute squit! How has the US relieved the UK of defending itself from US induced terrorist attacks, how has it relieved the UK from mega spending on defending the US war in Afghanistan?

2. John Holden profile image59

I'm not biased and just because I don't worship the US doesn't mean I don't like it, really there is much to like about the US once you get past the arrogance of many of its citizens.

Haha! You guys will turn your backs on us in a minute and get in bed with China if it means you get to keep your entitlements!

2. ediggity profile image61

Well, there wouldn't be an America without all of it's citizens, so I don't quite understand your logic there.  No ones asking, expecting, or wanting you to "worship" America.  lol

Many does not equal all, OK?

Ok, we'll just say many (def: a large number).  It still wouldn't be America without them.  smile

2. DTR0005 profile image60
          DTR0005posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That was a good one John! and very true...lol

9. Mighty Mom profile image77

Other countries show their patriotism all the time. Have you ever watched the....
    Olympics
    World Cup
    Davis Cup?

Did you even read the article?  It acknowledges patriotism during sports events, and so do I.  I'm not referring to sports events, if that was the case I could have just stated Americans want America to win in the Olympics.  That's a no brainer.  smile

10. Mighty Mom profile image77

Oddly enough, those "European fairlylands" have been in existence centuries longer than the US. How did they ever survive before 1776?

Needless to say for the last 100 years America has basically paid for their defense freeing up resources to hand out entitlements to the populace... and still they're all going bankrupt! What's going to happen when they have to pay for their own defense?

You mean you're going to cancel and refund the money we paid to you for your help in WWII!

LOL! We rebuilt your wrecked nations! Hey keep the change! LOL

More spin, keep it up.

11. Mighty Mom profile image77

Did I even read the article? Oh, you busted me there, ediggity. As the original poster (aka OP) I posted an article I hadn't bothered to read. Do you think I should? Is it worthwhile? MM

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say?  I read your OP article when I first came to the thread.  I was referring to the article I posted about patriotism in the UK.  smile

12. Mighty Mom profile image77

Give it up, John. The UK will NEVER be as exceptional as the US.
    Our new yardstick for determining exceptionalness is proximity to France. The UK is only 700 (or 550, or 20, depending on whose number you believe). Whereas the US is thousands of miles away from France. That makes us more exceptional. Anyone can see that lol!

No, no, that makes you "curious" if you decide to travel those distances and visit.  The visit itself has nothing to do with being an "exceptional" place.  lol

But earlier on in the  thread you were arguing that the US was exceptional because a lot of people visited!

Oh, no, the statistics from the UNWTO were proven wrong.  Tourism is solely based off curiosity.  lol

13. Mighty Mom profile image77

Oh, sorry ediggity. I missed that article on patriotism in the UK. I will go read it. I apologize to you! MM

14. Mighty Mom profile image77

Ok, I am back. Read the article on lack of national patriotism in England.
    Very interesting, really. The article says the Netherlands is the most patriotic of countries polled. Yet you don't hear or see the Dutch pushing their country in anyone's face, do you? They are proud of their country, but quiet about it.

I believe there is a parallel here in the US with both the Dutch and the English. I wouldn't necessarily call it "political correctness" that prevents many (most) of us from going around touting "American Exceptionalism." It is not that we are not patriotic. It is that we find that super-patriot stuff distasteful and vulgar.
    We'd rather BE exceptional than SAY we're exceptional.

Exactly!

15. Mighty Mom profile image77

Excerpted from the article in the original post:

"Calling oneself exceptional inarguably is problematic in the midst of an ongoing financial crisis; two wars that have resulted in untenable casualties; and crippling debt and deficits that betray the trust of future generations and behold us to China.

It also may feel jingoistic and inappropriate in these global times for one nation to set itself apart for self-admiration.

We mustn't brag, after all. Great nations don't have to remind others of their greatness. They merely have to be great."

That seems to me what John Holden is saying about UK and what I and many of us Americans are saying about America.

Yes, absolutely.

16. Mighty Mom profile image77

Whew! Should we close the thread now, before we launch another circular round of needless arguing smile?

It's your thread.  We're playing by your rules.   smile

17. livewithrichard profile image74
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

There is no doubt that America is a great country. As for exceptional, maybe once early on in our history, but we kind of lost our path. 

I'm a veteran and patriotic. If that makes me a "scoundrel" in the eyes of foreigners, who freaking cares? I'm here doing my share to make this the best place to live for my family, they're there hopefully making their country the best place to live for their families.

How can we be exceptional when we are so tied to the global economy? So dependent on foreign oil? And so politically correct that we've gone so far as to dumb down our own children?

There is greatness in this country, there is diversity, there is opportunity, and enough natural and human resources to shape our own destiny.  There are more than enough of us here that we don't need to tell the world, we'll show the world.

Yes, don't tell us, show us.

1. livewithrichard profile image74
        livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We are showing you, you just need to know where to look.

2. uncorrectedvision profile image60

Where is your black PM?  Where are your black Foreign Secretary?  Where is your woman Foreign Secretary?  There seems to be a little exception there, not much perhaps, but a little though I am certain that is not what is meant by Americna exceptionalism.  It appears from this forum the definition is wildly varying and purely personal ranging from the rosy-visioned patriotic to the, equally delusional, copro-blepsic.

But we aren't claiming to be exceptional!

America is exceptional, Americans are not.  There is no qualitative difference between Americans and anyone else.  It is a complex idea to grasp.  I have a friend who is originally from Greece.  He attends a Greek church, sends his children to Greek school.  He is very proud of being Greek.  A man in his restaurant once made the mistake of saying,  "If you are so proud of Greece, why don't you go back there."  I had to stand between George and the fleeing man. 

George is proud of being Greek as a groom is proud to be from his parents.  George loves America as deeply as a groom loves his bride.  It is part of America's exceptionalism.  A man can come from anywhere in the world and be as much of an American as someone whose family came over on the Mayflower.  Nigeria, Senegal, Ecuador, Lebanon, Iran, Greece, Mexico, Wales, China, Japan, South Africa, Philippines, - I have known Americans from every where. 

When does a foreigner become French, British, German, Italian?  Are people from former colonies the only ones who can become French or British?  Are Indians or Pakistanis as welcomed in British government as Bobby Jindal is in Louisiana or Nikki Haley is in South Carolina - both in the notorious South and both Republicans.

Can someone become Canadian or Mexican merely be moving to and sinking roots in Canada or Mexico?  Step off the plane or, like my grandfather, the boat and say," I am home." and mean it.  Is that what it takes to be an American?

I'll go with that. It sounds sensible to me and much more acceptable than a race of super beings.

1. Sufidreamer profile image77
                Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

+1 - I admire the way that America 'absorbs' immigrants and, in return, they become proud of being American.

The US government has done some good things and some bad things, like the government of most countries. However, I meet a lot of Americans over here and, almost without exception, they are kind, warm, respectful, and open-minded.

That will do for me smile

Thank you John,

Hardly a race of super beings, in fact, I would suggest that in some ways Americans are more flawed than some because they tend to abuse their liberty and prosperity while ignoring their opportunities and education.  Perhaps that is why new immigrants tend to be really awesome Americans while long rooted Americans can be lazy and foolish.

F1 hybrid vigour smile

If the difference were genetic rather than cultural or behavioral.  One could make the case that these demonstrate similar traits similar to genetics, I suppose.

2. Greek One profile image62
              Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As per your last paragraph... yup.. as in the case of my Greek father, George (no relation to your friend... but most Greeks are named George) who landed in Halifax, Canada... they can

God Bless Canada.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73
          Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Where is your woman Foreign Secretary?"

Are you forgetting Maggie Thatcher? The woman Prime Minister?

Desperately trying to!

Didn't ask because I didn't forget.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73

Just deliberately overlooked her?

18. Mighty Mom profile image77

Hi there livewithrichard. Good to see you (as always).
    Totally agree with everything you say, but have one question:

You said,"... and so politically correct that we've gone so far as to dumb down our own children..."
    I concur America has been on a dumbing down downward spiral and it scares me. However, I would like to hear your thoughts on how this is related to/caused by being "politically correct."
    I may be misinterpreting your thought...
    can you clarify, please?
    Thx!

I'm sure you know all about No Child Left Behind. For its intent it was a good idea but in practice, like most good ideas, its crap. 

With No Child Left Behind, the students in rural Mississippi have to be taught at the same level as students being taught in Barrington, Illinois (an extremely wealthy town)  But are they really?  I seriously doubt it. You see the school district with financial means only needs to loosen the curriculum (dumb down) so that they are closer to those districts with tighter funding. Why would they domb down? So their school gets a higher rating, of course which means they get rewarded with more resources an in the new system of merit pay the teachers in the wealthier district will get paid better for doing less work (than teachers in poorer districts)

19. Mighty Mom profile image77

Oh, now I see your point about political correctness and dumbing down. But Obama has gotten rid of No Child Left Behind.
    We have a long, long way to go to fix our anemic education system. We're really screwed if we ignore the ignorance quotient in this country!

LOL he didn't get rid of it, he stated in the his State of the Union Address that it will be replaced or actually reauthorized as the ESEA http://www2.ed.gov/policy/elsec/leg/blu … index.html

I haven't read it yet but its an Act that was established in the late 60's and reauthorized every 5 years then NCLB came along in 2001.  I fear that its just another good idea that's going to get turned into crap.  Personally, I don't think the feds should have their hands in education, at least not in the elementary and secondary levels.

20. Mighty Mom profile image77

He he, ediggity. Hub Pages forums are like Fight Club! Rule #1: There are no rules! smile

I thought it was don't talk about fight club?  Oops, I did.  tongue

21. Mighty Mom profile image77

The management reserves the right to adapt or change the order of Fight Club rules for use in this thread lol

22. profile image0
    awesome77posted 13 years ago

I have visited some countries in Europe, Africa and America is still the best for the following reasons:

1- Best country to start a business. Have you ever thought about why all the major startups started in AMERICA!

Microsoft

INTEL

Google

Yahoo

Hubpages

Digg

Webmd

Internet

Franchises

Airplane manufacturing

Etc

Europeans are burdened by severe regulations that prevents business startups.

2- If you need to raise money: YES America has so many sources and you are only limited by your desires and creativity!

3- Open arms to immigrants. Look at all the successful stories about immigrants creating successful companies!

4- Music -- America owns the music industry down-part! We set the trends and everyone else follows! Why do you think that is?

5 - America is the bread basket of the world today! We produce so much food that is exported to other countries, sometimes for free!

6- The most generous people on earth. Try getting the Germans or French or Danish people to give donations in cases of natural disasters. Most other countries are very stingy and the people are less generous!

Without America, Europe would be finished and under dictators! Oh yes, America has some problems, but it is still the most AMAZING, GENEROUS, INNOVATIVE AND BUSINESS ENGINE OF THE WORLD TODAY!

So based on those factors alone, Yes AMERICA IS VERY EXCEPTIONAL AND i challenge anyone to show me another country that has done so much to help other countries in the world today!

23. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I think the U.S. has a lot going for it - we are innovative and unique - but I think we tend to have an exaggerated opinion of ourselves and often overlook the wonders of other people all of the world - we get exclusive and our superior attitudes don't do us any good.  Other nations have had answers for thousands of years to questions we are just thinking to ask.  We are relatively "babies" in the international political arena -  lucky babies, and lucky that other nations have put up with our posturing for so long.  I'm very glad that open attitudes here seem to be growing, but saying we're "exceptional" is not going to help us understand and sustain ourselves in the world.  We need to keep learning.  Some humility won't hurt us at all.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...good response....good folks in the US................

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

gnite Mega!......later...gater....

...from the great gig somewhere in the pacific ocean......

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a wonderful post, mega!

I think the trouble with Americans is that they're too competitive.

They think that if America isn't "exceptional", then some other country must be.  The point is, every country is different.  All countries have their good points and bad points.  Why must there be one country that "wins"?  Can't we acknowledge the value in difference?

If it was an individual proclaiming, "I'm exceptional!", I'd tell them to stop being so big-headed and up themselves.  I'd say the same to America.

1. SparklingJewel profile image66
        SparklingJewelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...it's not just that Americans are exceptional...its the souls that come to America with the concepts of America being the place where that exceptionality is/used to be appreciated and celebrated..its the concept of being American that matters...and I will take it one step further, any person with that belief in "consciousness" of exceptionality, of creativity and innovation, of being a mover and a shaker, is American regardless of what country they are from...but coming to America is "the" place where others of like "mind" will support and nurture that "mind"............used to be anyway, and that where we need to get back to.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

I think "used to be" is the important point here. Americans have been brought up on a dream, but because they don't travel abroad enough, or see enough of international affairs on TV, they don't realize how much the rest of the world has moved on.

Wow, that's a pretty bold statement with nothing to back it up. No pun intended.  lol

Maybe you don't realize Americans are such figures of fun in the rest of the world?

British and Australian comedy programs are always scoring easy points by going out and interviewing Americans in the street.  They don't even know where other countries are, let alone what's happening in them.

Of course, I'm sure they interview hundreds of people then pick out the really stupid ones, but it's still amazing that they can find so many ignorant people. 

I also met quite a few Americans myself on my two trips, and the majority were thoroughly ill-informed about life outside the US. What's more, they seemed to have little interest in knowing, because they believed America is the best, so why bother finding out what the rest of the world is like?  That's why this "exceptional" business is so dangerous, IMO.

So, your TV shows go out to "score points" and make fun of Americans, and yet you wonder why Americans don't desire to find out more about you? roll

I think you are the one who is seriously misinformed if you think your TV show, and meeting a "few" Americans constitutes as backing up your original statement with facts.  smile

3. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

On the positive side I read somewhere recently that many people come to the U.S. or UK or other western countries for graduate work or on business and decide to stay. But very few people go to China to study or work and decide to stay. Most of the ex-pats who are working there can't wait to come home to the US, UK or European countries. The hubber, China Man" a UK native is apparently an exception. He seems to like China.

Ralph, that's true - it's easy to pick out countries where no one would want to live! 

However, the point of this thread is to discuss the assertion that America is exceptional.  Many people come to Australia on holiday or business and decide to stay.  Ditto for the UK, many European countries and the United States.  America doesn't stand above the other Western countries in that regard.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
          Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I'm not arguing for American exceptionalism.

No Ralph, I know you've got more sense than that!

4. Mighty Mom profile image77

Amen to that! Let's restore our educational system with higher standards and an actual EDUCATION for our kids. Let's nurture the minds of our children.

5. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

ex·cep·tion·al   /ɪkˈsɛpʃənl/  Show Spelled
      [ik-sep-shuh-nl]  Show IPA

–adjective
      1. forming an exception or rare instance; unusual; extraordinary: The warm weather was exceptional for January.
      2. unusually excellent; superior: an exceptional violinist.
      3. Education . (of a child)
      a. being intellectually gifted.
      b. being physically or especially mentally handicapped to an extent that special schooling is required.

Hmmm...well I agree with No.1

6. thirdmillenium profile image61
      thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

It THINKS it is exceptional

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73

We do tend to be exceptionally arrogant on the world stage.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
          Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exceptionally perceptive of you.

7. megs78 profile image60
      megs78posted 13 years ago

I think 'important' better sums up the United States.  Its not perfect, its not the best country in the world, its not exceptional, but it certainly is important for many reasons, which I don't really think need to be listed.

8. Bronson_Hub profile image61
      Bronson_Hubposted 13 years ago

So many posts, but the first thing that popped in my mind when reading the title, "Is America Exceptional?"  was,

"America!  F*CK YEAH!"

1. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+ 1!

9. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
      VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 13 years ago

America is exceptional because,....

1. It is the first and only country to use the nuclear weapon.

2. It is restricting others not to produce WMD, while holding a large stockpile of deadly weapons.

3. It is a democracy larger than others, next only to India. But it encourages anti-democracy military dictators in each and every country.... it has failed only in the subcontinent.

4.America has killed hundreds of thousands of poor people by using deadly weapons in Japan, Vietnam, Korea, Bangladesh (through Pak. military in 1971). But it is heralding human rights in every country, including China and India. Law in every country forbids basic rights to the criminals and put them in jails. But America calls them "violation of human rights".

5.It lined a whole village people and shot them in Mylai, South Vietnam before 1975 just for showing solidarity with North Vietnam. But no one could even protest..

6. In no other country, were two Presidents assassinated just for showing solidarity with poor black people.... Lincoln and Kennedy.

7. Even after a great economic downfall, it is the only country which could keep a large military force with huge weaponry; and also no country will offer "aid" even during that economic crisis. Getting loans from east... "aiding" the east with arms and financial aid.

More and more.... America is really exceptional.

10. AnnCee profile image67
      AnnCeeposted 13 years ago

America pays an exceptional amount of money to feed people and keep a lid on bad guys in the world.

2010- dollars in millions:

7,595 -Child Survival and Health

2,734 -Development and Assistance

6,504 -Economic Aid

5,274 -Military Aid

762 -Assistance Europe, Eurasia, Central Asia

732 -International Broadcasting

2,341 -International Financial Institutions [almost doubled y/y]

1,947 -International Narcotics

1,480 -Migration and Refugee Assistance

1,690 -Agriculture Aid

765 -Non-proliferation and Anti Terror

296 -Peacekeeping

110 -International Military Training

357 -International Programs and Organizations

Whoo-eee!   Just think of all the hidey holes and dirty hands those dollars fall into.

I wish America was a little less exceptional and more practical.

1. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
        VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really wonderful!  I have not heard these before...... does America really spends so much for development? 

It is worrying to note that only 296 for peace keeping;  and 5274 for military aid..... Is it not unbelievable?  While spending 20 times for military aid, one is spent for peace-keeping.... How and where can you find peace?

Moreover, all these are not spread to all nations.... only rogue countries like Pakistan and Afganistan, etc, where America can play its game. Nowhere else... !

11. Ralph Deeds profile image66

The U. is exceptional (#1) in only one statistic according to the CIA--number of incarcerated citizens per 1000.

Must be pure hell on earth for you living here.  Sad for you, it'll get even worse as Americans prevent your heroes from turning it into one of the morally superior third world countries you so admire.  sad

12. mortimerjackson profile image58
      mortimerjacksonposted 13 years ago

America certainly is "exceptional." I mean, we certainly have lots of "exceptional" people in this country.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4653374_f248.jpg

In all seriousness though, the idea of American exceptionalism is just a fancy way of saying nationalism. If you think that America is the greatest nation in the world and that it has the right to adjudicate on the rest of the world, then you believe in American exceptionalism. If not, then you have at least half a brain.

1. drdspervez profile image70
        drdspervezposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes America is exceptional because it's ruling almost the whole world and interfering in other countries affairs.

DR.DURRESHAHWAR PERVEZ

1. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
          VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 13 years agoin reply to this

America "thinks" that it is ruling the whole world....
          Its soldiers returned failing in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, and Afganistan...
          They must be contempt by atleast saying that they "rule" the world....  the failing side of the world.

13. Ralph Deeds profile image66

Here are some revealing statistics from the CIA and other sources which illustrate how unexceptional the US really is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/19/opini … arlesmblow

Here's how the US ranked

Income Inequality--3rd most unequal out of 34 countries listed, ahead of Hong Kong and Singapore

Unemployment 25th highest our of 34

Level of Democracy--18th out of 34

Well Being--20th out of 34

Food Insecurity--19th out of 21 countries surved with the question Have you gone hungry in the past year?

LIfe Expectancy at birth--76.24 years--27th out of 34 countries

Prison Population--NUMBER ONE--743 per 100,000 population

Student Achievement:

Math--24th out of 31 countries
      Science--16th out of 31 countries

14. Charles James profile image68
      Charles Jamesposted 13 years ago

I generally like Americans. I have considerable concerns about many actions of the American Government. I can distinguish between the two.

Americans do seem a bit careless sometimes. In 2003 the Defence Department Inspectorate found that the Pentagon could not account for 56 aircraft,32 tanks, and 36 Javelin missile command launch units which had all simply gone missing.
      And they went to Iraq to look for missing weapons!

15. MickeySr profile image77
      MickeySrposted 11 years ago

It's ludicrous to either fail to recognize, or to decline to acknowledge, that America is exceptional . . . it's a contagion carryover from the contemporary notion that everyone who 'shows up' ought to get a trophy. We've come to think that recognizing and acknowledging some virtue or achievement is in itself arrogant . . . recognizing something that is true, acknowledging facts, etc, is not arrogant - assuming that some particular virtue or specific achievement makes you better than your neighbor, that is arrogance.

Perhaps you need to have a historic perspective, an inclination to see things in their historic context, to recognize America's exceptionalism. When George Washington defeated the British Empire to win America's independence, he voluntarily turned in his commission (as commander of the army) to congress and returned to civilian life - King George of England, upon hearing this, said "If he does this he will be the greatest man in the world" . . . he said this because America was marking-out a new course for the world. Historically, America was undeniably an exception from every other nation that ever existed. The concept of civil leaders serving the people's interest, rather than royalty or despots abusing the people for their own interests, was a turning-point in history - and it was an American concept.

Now, here's the trick; that wasn't that long ago. America, it's principles and ideals, remains exceptional among nations. Certainly there are chuckleheads who will cheer on America in a 'right or wrong' sensibility and who only advance America as 'exceptional' in a sense of 'best' or 'superior', and that only because of a chauvinistic disposition based on personal association - but that will only hinder similarly jargon blabbering ill-informed folks to shun the reality of our exceptionalism.

I see folks who assume America's exceptionalism with little knowledge of what America actually is (a striking experiment in self-governance) and only cheer for America as they might cheer-on their 'home team', as virtually the same manner of folks who assume America's fault in every circumstance and count acknowledging America's historically observable exceptionalism as arrogance. Was Rome a long lasting empire, did the Mongol empire cover a massive area of land, were certain ancient (east) Indian and Central American empires brutal and bloody cultures? The answer is 'yes', it simply is 'yes', it's history, it's demonstrable - is America exceptional . . ? . . the truth is 'yes', it's history, it's demonstrable.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)