Google Panda refresh happening now!

Jump to Last Post 51-61 of 61 discussions (168 posts)
  1. jreitz profile image65
    jreitzposted 11 years ago

The site downtime yesterday was a networking outage in the datacenter we are in, it was not related to HubPages specifically and service was fully restored within four hours.  By 8:15 am PDT Friday we were (and are currently are) operating normally.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There was another algo update, it seems, that may have affected many hubbers, myself included (though not this account).

http://www.webpronews.com/matt-cutts-ju … ge-2012-09

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
        Gordon Hamiltonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Traffic now down circa 80% from established levels less than 48 hours ago. Have to go back years rather than months to find such low levels of traffic... Hope it's a bedding in period...

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
          paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Right now
          active visitors on site"

I seem to be alive and well... I'm not getting rich, but I do hit payout every now and then. Google still hasn't indexed my last hub though. Kind of kills my desire to write...

1. IzzyM profile image87

I had a hub once that didn't index for weeks, and this happened long before the 'idle hubs' change.

I think you should forget about it, and concentrate on writing another hub, if you feel like it. It will index eventually.

It only really matters when your hub is on something topical, or for a rapidly approaching holiday or season.

My active visitors on site have reduced from about 11 - 25 to about 2 - 8.

Hey what has been your highest number?

Mine was 230. I was so excited I wrote it down lol.

It lasted on and off for about a week! Long gone now.

Alas, my personal best is still in the single digits. But hope springs eternal...

Sorry to be so naive - but where do you get that sort of information?

Proceed to Google Analytics.

Click "Home".

Click "Real-Time".

Click "Overview"

Ahh - OK. Thanks anyway. I've never been able to figure out how to register for Google Analytics and have tried several times, including using the guide in HP learning centre. Techy things are most definitely not my forte... sad

2. IzzyM profile image87

When I look at my own subs, the two that are worst hit are both niche subdomains with keyword in url.

On the other hand, they are not thin content or low quality, so hopefully it is only a bedding in period that traffic stays away for.

2. IzzyM profile image87

Forgot to say - thanks for posting!

It really is important and appreciated when staff make an input on a thread smile

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 11 years ago

My traffic went way down so far for Friday and Saturday too, but I'm not sure it has to do with a new Panda or anything. I searched my keywords and I'm still on the front page for most hubs. I have noticed that about.com is coming up as many as 5 times for the first results. I smell something fishy there.

1. IzzyM profile image87

When Panda initially hit this site, I saw my traffic fall by the hour, yet still saw my main keyword hold their position for the longest time.

I fear that Google SERPS is not much of a benchmark.

I am still seeing a huge loss of traffic on my other subdomains, yet the SERPS read the same as usual. I don't trust them.

1. David 470 profile image81
        David 470posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's how I am feeling sometimes because I had some hubs that were high in SERPS, but traffic was still going down. Of course this could just mean that  those keywords were getting less searched, but I still think SERPS are not the only benchmark to go off of.

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image93

I really need to get beyond my Hovis, Horlicks and flat cap. SERPS (State Earnings Related Pensions Scheme) that stands between me and bankruptcy in my latter years?... I have never heard of SERPS in relation to anything else. Having said that, Google probably owns my pension now as well...

1. Dale Hyde profile image81
          Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, last I looked, Google was buying up everything in sight, lol.  The wife and I was just talking about all the areas that Google has moved into. Google is amazing in that aspect.

1. profile image57
            Southernmapartposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How about posting a list for us?  Thanks.

Google has this great "new" tool that most of us use to learn about such "lists"....it is used in a thing that takes personal time called "research."  Research for another I get paid to do. smile  I would suggest that you use that new tool by Google called "Search." smile

1. profile image57

I understand and appreciate your position.

2. GoGreenTips profile image60
      GoGreenTipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have had the same experience...I had four hubs on google first page, they still are, but have dropped down the page; Taking top spots are yahoo answers, ask.com and other answer sites with the same keywords. Interesting?

3. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

"Right now
    active visitors on site"

Paradigmsearch contemplates life... big_smile

I had four at one time earlier! I was grabbing a beer to celebrate and pop, poop, crash....zero..... . However, it is a cool tool.  smile I like cool tools (no weird comments here.) smile

4. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 11 years ago

A lot of fishy things are happening lately. I write for dog magazines and newsletters and must provide reputable links to back up facts on my articles and my search results yield a bunch of youtube videos, yahoo answers and forum posts. I hate Google at the moment; my searches yield poor results and I have to dig deep like 5 pages to avoid the crappy websites and find the more reputable ones. Also, there are some terrible websites on the first page. I know some websites pay to get on the first page of Google, I wonder if this can play a role in this....

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7216936_f248.jpg

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is one of the strangest graphics I have ever seen-- pirhana people?

1. mythbuster profile image71
          mythbusterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There must be a story behind the pirhana-people... lol

Do you know the story?

2. Dale Hyde profile image81

I just stumbled across it..it is amazing. If you smile the fish smile, if you growl, the fish growl, lol. smile Love it... I am having my own thoughts about creation with such things. smile

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 11 years ago

Well, if HP techno probs are fixed and it's purely the algo change that's causing the flux in traffic, then I guess we'll just have to see how it goes over the next couple of weeks to get a gauge on traffic.

Agreed - the if's, buts and maybes appear to have been covered. It's now over to time, fact...and the Big G! smile

6. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

Google is buying up this, that and the other; AT&T/Ma Bell got spanked a few years back for doing the same thing, and they are back at it, as are SO many other major corporations.
    I don't recall seeing a single thing about the Sherman Anti-Trust Act being repealed or amended, yet, we are seeing more and more of a trend toward monopolies and shutting out of competition.
    Did you know, we are now reduced to just twelve  major corporations,worldwide??!!   It disgusts me!
    My husband's hobby is following corporate lineage, and while there may appear  to be many more than a dozen, there are not--it's just that the ones that have been bought are still operating under their original names... as a "dba" under the new parent company.

1. profile image57

MzLzzy, please consider asking your husband to get us a list of entities and sites scoffed up by Google and post here.  Many thanks for the extra effort.

7. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

@Google. You can buy my subdomain for a mere $99,999.

I am the official Google Broker.. I shall delve into your offer. smile

8. Dale Hyde profile image81
    Dale Hydeposted 11 years ago

Just an update as of this morning. Out of 116 hubs, I have one (1) that is getting views.The other 115 are well under ten (10) views each. An all time low.  My traffic has dropped off drastically over two months ago  My earnings are approximatley 1/4 of what they used to be normally.  My total views are 303...and the vast majority are on the one hub I mention. Google has simple stopped producing my hubs in search results.  What traffic I am getting is mostly Google unrelated.  It used to be mostly Google. 

Actually upon checking my stats just now, The majority of my hubs are reflecting zero (0) views. I have two that are at ten, the few left that do have views are in the low range of under 6 views.

1. aa lite profile image84
      aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Google has just done a panda algo change (as opposed to a simple data refresh) last Thursday, which has again slapped the site.  It is rather strange because they made no announcement about it, in fact it looked like they were trying to conceal it under the EMD update.  Possibly your traffic loss is because of that, the quant cast graph for HubPages looks rather grim.

One step forward, three steps back.

I skip days of coming in as it is so depressing, lol.  Thanks for the additional information.

9. Dale Hyde profile image81
    Dale Hydeposted 11 years ago

I see ten hours has passed and no one has commented. That would be a good thing I would suppose, lol, as I would take it that all is well with others and it is simply my sub-domain that has been effected.

One other note, I did some research and the last time I earned this amount of money was seven months ago, with less than half the amount of hubs that I have now.  The downhill spiral continues.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7234966_f248.jpg

1. MargaritaEden profile image68
      MargaritaEdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Downhill spiral for me also, before last update I had over 500 views a day, today 12.

Sorry to hear this, but it appears to be a "trend".... I was not posting new hubs, but broke my own promise not to do so a few days ago, and that did not help either... sad

10. Marsei profile image90
    Marseiposted 11 years ago

Glad you said that.  I won't do it!

11. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Dale, here's my rather pathetic Hubtraffic for the past week or so:

Pre-September-28: 500-700 visitors a day.
    Post Google Panda 20: 200-375 visitors a day.

500-700 visitors a day is not all that brilliant for 100 hubs, but... ouch.

This drop means that I will not be making the monthly payout threshold on HP until things return to normal. I think about 2-3 more hubs pulling traffic might put me back over that threshold, but after the noindexing mess, I don't feel all that keen about creating new content here. I've just been doing a little SEO tweaking hoping to pull in a little more traffic on existing hubs.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you are going to find that this is the new normal. wink

2. Dale Hyde profile image81

I feel the same about "not" creating new content here. I have put a ton of time into creating "unique" material here and was doing well just to get slapped down over and over to the point of nothing. Very discouraging.  I know it is not all about earnings and I do like to share what I write with people that seek such information with no return such as a HP payout. However, the suppression of the hubs and/or site is also defeating that purpose of sharing with others.

1. cameciob profile image81
        cameciobposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just created a new hub myself,
        It is called "The Google dance"

My views did not recover after 27.
        My latest hubs have not been indexed yet, and they both were published before that date.

Take your hat off, baby

tonight

I'm gonna do the dance

I'm gonna shake it

and wake it

Tonight

i'am gonna do the dance

I'am gonna google

and screwgle

I'm gonna rank you all

Tonight

I'm gonna dance

and I do it for money

chained with gold

and covered in honey

so

take your hat off baby,

and link me....

I long for your eyes

burried under the sky

for tomorrow

you may revive

or may die

cos my name is

Goooooooooooooooooooooogle

1. Marsei profile image90
          Marseiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Clever!  I like it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)