Make Monday Forum Amnesty Day?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (78 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Just an idea I'm tossing out there. How about HP declaring on Monday a blanket forum amnesty for all forum-banned Hubbers?

I'm saying Monday so that HP has the weekend to mull the idea over.

I am not suggesting any changes to forum rules. If HP grants the amnesty, and a Hubber turns around and perpetrates another no-no, then they get banned again.

So, what do you all think? Would you agree or disagree with a one-time, all-is-forgiven, brand-new-start amnesty?

If nothing else, it will probably liven things up around here. Leastwise for awhile...

I am not emotionally attached to either point of view on this. I just think it would be an interesting experiment. Whatever happens, happens.

And if Monday is not a good day to start the amnesty, how about Christmas Day? Or Halloween? big_smile

1. SmartAndFun profile image93
      SmartAndFunposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sounds good to me. It's not like HP would be turning murderers out of jail and onto a playground full of little kids. They'd just be letting a few anonymous people type their thoughts into an internet forum which barely has any users any more. The forum could probably do with a few more posters, but I doubt any of the banned hubbers would take HP up on it, anyway.

2. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years ago

Aren't the bans temporary?  I like the idea.  Kind of a pardon for bad behavior.  I don't think I would ever need one, but who knows.  Maybe issue everyone a "get out of hubber jail free" card.  One time only.

paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The bans start out temporary. But if a Hubber keeps putting their foot in it, it can result in being permanent.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol, thanks for the much needed laugh on a Friday lunch break.

Although I think relache makes a valid point.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 10 years ago

Anyone who has been permanently banned from the forums got that way by demonstrating a history of recidivism.

Why should repeated bad behavior committed after previous negative reinforcement suddenly be rewarded?

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73
      Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You do make a good point.  Forever is such a long time, though.  Or should that go in the platitudes thread?  LOL

1. aa lite profile image85
        aa liteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Isn't the whole forum basically one big platitude thread, now that the recidivists are removed?

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

I'm just a kinder, gentler paradigmsearch today.

4. Muttface profile image79
    Muttfaceposted 10 years ago

Yeah, the forum threads are kinda boring. Don't know who these firebrands were, but they sound like fun.

5. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I was under the impression that when someone was permanently banned, they just opened a new acct. Do they ban the URL or just the account itself?

6. relache profile image72

Beth, it's possible to be banned from posting in the forums due to repeated civil infractions while still keeping a valid Hub account.  Meaning you create content just fine but really don't play well with others.

If your actual Hub user account is banned (spamming, TOS violations, etc), creating a new one to circumvent that action is grounds for having any new accounts banned as well.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

In other words... they have nothing to lose.

7. relache profile image72

Admins tracks access by IP addresses.  If you are banned from the forums and get caught sock puppeting, that's a TOS violation.

Tell ya what... Start attacking people and insulting them constantly in the forums, and then you can see just what you lose.

1. profile image0

I have someone in mind.

2. CraftytotheCore profile image75
      CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good to know info.  Note to self.  Play nicely.  big_smile

8. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

I'm guessing Randy is feeling left out again...

1. profile image0

Who's Randy?

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

He was banished long before your reign began and is destined never to be one of your loyal subjects.

Of course, you can visit his cabin on the edge of the woods, if you wish. Randy, himself, is awfully quaint but you will find a collection of unsavory types in attendance.

hxxp://randygodwin.hubpages.com/hub/A-Poisonous-Clique-The-Henhouse-Chronicals

Try not to let him turn you into a hen.

lol lol lol

2. WriteAngled profile image74
          WriteAngledposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ooooh, exciting. I've never been called an unsavoury type before!!!

I find the poisonous clique a good bunch. They are currently my main reason for continuing to visit this site.

3. profile image0

I think I did meet him. He was always mad at HP's right? I didn't know he was banished. I hope Im not confusing him with someone else, but I think he was here less than a year ago.

Randy believes that HP is a semi-criminal conspiracy that exists purely to take the pleasure out of being a contrary, elder gentleman.

1. profile image0

lol. Is he elder? He doesn't look it... of course ive been looking at a 74 year old man a lot differently than usual lately so I may not be a good judge.

74? I know the feeling, Beth. When they are really old they can't just leg it when you start to make your moves.

1. profile image0

You haven't seen this guy.

4. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73

Oh, how I miss Randy!!

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
            LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

5. Beth Godwin profile image69
          Beth Godwinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As Randy's wife , I resent your comments in regard to my husband.   Randy has never had anything against hub pages , he just speaks out when he feels justice is not being dealt in regard to it's members. People who have the courage to " buck the system"  are usually singled out for retribution.  In regard to Randy's ban from the forums,  I only concur with one instance deserving of a ban.  I noted that other people could say much worse with nothing being said or done , depending on the identity of the person in question.   

I agree that amnesty day would be a good move on the part of hub pages.  Members should not be banned unless their actions were so egregious that no other option was available.   Face it, if anyone wanted to post on forums they could always use a sock puppet, which Randy has not done.   Actually, Randy has been very loyal to Hub pages, and is just seeking to  bring attention to needed improvements.  I think hub pages should have an unbiased panel to determine if a member should be banned.  Course, as a retired Judge, I am always seeking justice. 

While, you may not agree with Randy, it's people like him that made this country great.  Everyone has the right to freedom of speech.   If people would look at criticism with an open mind and not just dismiss it as sour grapes,  they might find some value in what is being said. 

I guess if my association with Randy makes me " unsavory",  then I am proud to wear the banner.  I am surprised YOU were not banned for clearly insulting other HP members as referring to them as " unsavory.", not to mention, the personal insults you have directed toward my husband. .  But then, I'm not too surprised!

1. relache profile image72
            relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that what happened to your husband and his forum privileges?

1. Beth Godwin profile image69

No it is not what happened.  As I previously stated, I only saw one occasion where I felt his offense to be warranting of a temporary ban.  Many other people were in agreement.  That is why I suggest a unbiased panel to vote on all complaints received and vote on  the question as to if the offense is ban worthy. Also, the name of the person accused should not be known to the panel.  That way, justice is indeed blind. 

Unless someone files a complaint no action should be taken.  That way no witch hunts flourish.  And we all know how that turned out.   Earnest people are indeed dangerous to those in the wrong.  I have nothing against yourself, Hub pages,  or anyone else on here for that matter.   I think that Hub pages showing goodwill and  grating amnesty would go a long way.  Then  incorporating a improved method for issuing bans .    Just sayin'........

2. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73

I agree with you.  I have seen a lot of people make vicious attacks, a few times even at me, that never got banned, not even temporarily.  I don't know how certain people get singled out, and others don't.  If it's supposed to be the same set of rules for everyone, why are only certain people being banned?  I have had some people say some nasty things about me, and I have seen nasty things said about others, and a lot of times, those people don't get banned.

1. profile image0

I mentally ban them. I put my fingers in my ears and say "I can't hear you, I can't hear you" and then I tell myself I'm better than every one else, then drink 3 shots of hard liqueur. I have found this combination works better than any other I've tried.

I find that works with my children, too.  When they are being particularly nasty, I separate them into their individual rooms, and I put on my headphones until they are done arguing that it was the other one's fault.  LOL!

2. relache profile image72
              relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Two things have a huge influence on who gets banned.

1)  Name-calling.  If you never do this, it's actually rather hard to get banned (unless you are a spammer). 

2)  Reporting.  This is probably the #1 influence.  People who get reported to admin and are determined to be breaking the forum rules incur bans.  There are a lot of site users who opt to attack back when attacked instead of reporting the person who attacked first.  Then the person who got attacked gets reported (most often for name-calling) and they get banned, and the original attacker (who wasn't reported) has nothing happen.

1. aa lite profile image85
                aa liteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The one time I was banned for a day, it was for telling a troll he was "culturally deprived" for not having seen the British meerkat commercial (Troll had made fun of my "simples"). 

I thought the ban was very funny but I can't say it filled me with confidence that the moderators knew what they are doing.  I sort of suspect the troll reported me, I think he was trying to cause as much havoc on the forums as possible.

1. Beth Godwin profile image69

My point exactly.  That comment was certainly not reason enough to ban someone.  I agree that spammers , threats, and really viscous attacks should result in a ban. but people are being banned for snide or off hand comments and that is just crazy.  According to HP rules, if I reported Will  then he would be banned for calling Randy quaint and his associates unsavory, { personal attack}  but that would also be crazy.  LOL I would defend him if he was banned for his comments, as being no reason to ban someone,  as well.  While, I don't agree with his opinion, he has a right to it.  I certainly would never associate the word " quaint" with Randy. LOL  Colorful yes. LOl  .  It is the differences of opinion that makes the forums interesting.  More traffic, more money for hub pages.  Take a tip from Miley Cyrus. She offended most everybody with her performance., but has been on TV non stop since, SNL, Ellen, ect... The money is just rolling in.....  LOL.   Religion and politics are hot topics so persons afraid of the heat shouldn't enter that domain.  LOL

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
                    Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I found that out during our last US Presidential election. People were getting very heated. I try to avoid religion here completely, unless somebody copies a pile of scriptures from the Bible and tries to pass it off as a hub.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
                    psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Crazy or not, it is easy to not do the things you are not meant to do.  If people choose not to...[shrug]

3. Writer Fox profile image31
                    Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it would be crazy.  I think you should report Will.  By the way, would Randy be interested in joining a private forum for Hubbers?

9. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

Where does one find this "poisonous clique?" They sound like people I wanna hang with. Do they have a newsletter?

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Come and meet the poisonous ones any time you wish: randygodwin.hubpages.com/hub/A-Poisonous-Clique-The-Henhouse-Chronicals

No censorship operates there

10. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Oh please don't.  People get banned for a reason.

11. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 10 years ago

Banned from the forums and not being able to interact with the almost ten post per hour average, must be so, so, frustrating...

lol

C'mon, being unable to participate on the HP forums is equivalent to no one visiting your myspace page!

I don't even visit my MySpace page...

12. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 10 years ago

A lot of the permanently banned are spammers.  I don't want them back.  Some of the serial offenders are also pretty tiresome, rather than exciting as some have suggested, in my experience - they just complain about the same things over and over again and attack anyone who dares to have an alternative opinion, which gets tired quite quickly for me.  (They are banned for attacking others, not the repetition, by the way). smile

1. profile image0

Does it not seem we have similar types poster(s) now?

13. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

I have a feeling someone needs to hang for some outrage or another.

The earnest are a dangerous bunch.

14. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

According to the pattern, someone with a hubber score of 96 needs to post now. I will delete when that happens, don't fear.

15. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 10 years ago

It all seems so weird . I haven't been posting on forums the way I used to , too boring I guess ! I think anyone should be forgiven though , after all it's only the internet !  Maybe us old timers should fire this place up once in a while ........:-}

I agree. It is just the internet. Most people here are anonymous, so why are forum disagreements taken so personally?

Other forums I frequent manage to keep things in check and somehow allow a back-and-forth without banning half their members any time one of the kiddies baws to a mod. Mods can be very effective at keeping discussions going without banning anyone from either side. Members know who the mods are, and respect them because they can see the mods' work in action, as the mods post about what is going on and cite which rules were broken any time a post is moved or removed. Posts are sometimes moved or removed, but members are rarely banned.

HP is now putting ads on their forums. If they want to make a little extra dough, they should allow the forums to be fun and interesting again.

16. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

Hey!  I'm Class Clown!!  Time to liven up the whole place with a song...

Oh we're all Bubbling..

Sorry.  Wrong site.

1. profile image0

I told you, that would have been funnier without your pants.

google translation for pants: trousers.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Too late!  They're off now!!!

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8433621_f248.jpg

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
          Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Although the forums have been a bit boring, they used to get really nasty. I got banned once when somebody was calling me names! I wrote to the administration and got reinstated. Why look for trouble? People are here to write and make money, not to get into discussions about controversial topics. If you ban religion, politics, and people who want to talk about their ex's as topics, maybe that would be OK. Mark, congrats on Class Clown, I voted for you!

17. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 10 years ago

Okay so lets start a fight , I'm looking for trouble , is it You ? Do You Wanna wrestle  Huh ?Huh? Come on ! Go ahead ban me ..........:-} I'm a lover not a fighter !

18. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

That's not how lovers talk where I come from.

I visit Randy's chatting page. I discovered it quite by accident after reading a number of his excellent hubs. Actually I think it sets a very good example for how a 'forum' should be run. People feel comfortable enough to share instant thoughts, conduct discussions, debate points and disagree with each other.

I don't think anyone could realistically consider me 'unsavory'. lol. There are many conversations on Randy's page - and in the forums - where I don't have anything to contribute so I read but don't write.  It isn't necessary to express an opinion on everything.

19. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

BTW, Mark. I hope you are not offended by Class Clown. I always loved and admired the class clowns when I was at school ... Plus I consider you to be a clown with class!

Oh I like that - cheers!

20. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

Hell yeah - bring them all back!

Most have been banned for misdemeanors rather than out and out being truly offensive.

Everyone has a right to freedom of speech and we all have our own opinion, some choose to voice that opinion and others are a little too polite to do so even if they are thinking it! But the problem is with HP is that what one person thinks is an innocent comment or a little risky is to some moderators and other forum users a crime against humanity!

If someone calls someone a name - grow up!!! Sticks and stones as they say!! As long as the person is not going out of their way to follow someone around the forums, creating highly downright rude and threatening posts, then what does calling someone a righteous fool or an idiot that should have left his head firmly planted in his/her own ass where it belongs matter??

If you can't handle the heat stay out of it! If people are getting heated and you are feeling offended get out of the conversation and leave the real fools to it..

I was always told that when you argue with a fool that no one will be able to tell you apart!!

Let those that have not threatened anyone else or really called someone something truly offensive come back.. These are not the people to worry about anyway as the real trolls and offensive idiots just change their ip, create a new account and come back to cause problems..

1. Writer Fox profile image31

Is there a TOS somewhere that lists reasons people get banned from the forum?

Worried that you might be hanging from a thread? Or looking for a tool to exploit?

And so, from under the bridge, we have a comment that doesn't at all answer the question in the post.  Are you just looking for a thread to exploit?

'from under the bridge'

What is that meant to mean?

1. profile image0

I think he/she is calling you a troll.

He/she often does that when flustered. So you are probably right.

1. profile image0

You really should write a "How to make friends" hub. You have a knack.

2. quiterandom profile image69
        quiterandomposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would imagine that the term "Author Content", in the Hubpages Terms of Use document, probably includes forum posts.

Nope, that didn't help much.  What I've learned is that pointing out that someone is "culturally deprived" will get you banned.  Other reasons are unknown but a little traffic cop shows up and gives you a banishment notice, according to this thread:
          http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/117228?page=10

It's apparently OK to call someone "unsavory", "disillusional", "quaint", give someone a "Duck Cough” or to say that someone "believes that HP is a semi-criminal conspiracy that exists purely to take the pleasure out of being a contrary, elder gentleman."  And then there's the case of the famous missing troll for three weeks beginning on September 17; it's difficult to identify just which post found him MIA from the forum, though he was still commenting on Hubs.

Yeah "Duck cough" was funny.  I'm surprised I got with away with that.

You are apparently loved. big_smile

2. Writer Fox profile image31

It was funny.  I'm glad you got away with it, too!

21. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

HP is noticeably absent from this thread. That could actually be a good sign. It would really be interesting if they were to actually do it.

It is my theory that many of the banned would have learned and would be entertaining posters. Some, of course, would immediately be banned again. Not a problem.

I've seen the posts noting bias. I agree that some bannings were incorrect. What with bannings not being that frequent, it would not be an undue hardship for HP banning decisions to be determined by more than one staff member. Just a thought.

My thoughts only apply to those hubbers whose accounts were not banned. Spammers in particular.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would predict that having them all back at once (remembering that a good number of them were basically bonkers and most of the rest were spammers) might drive many users off the forums altogether. I doubt banned people are tagged with why they were banned so they would all just flood back in.

I think the forums have been pretty good since the division into two zones.  Peaceful.

I agree that separating the hot topic forums from the HP-related forums was a good idea.

I think most of the banned people don't care to come back to the forums anyway, but I'm sure a few would.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

You are dead bang right re: the two zones. That religion crap being shoved in my face everyday really was awful.

Yes, I am so glad it's gone. And the politics, too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)