Satisfaction with Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-45 of 45 discussions (117 posts)
  1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

Are you satisfied with the traffic and earnings you hubs fetch?

Yes or No?

Reasons?

1. Lady_E profile image63
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Def No.  I honestly can't get the hang of it. I don't understand how I can have over 2,000 page impressions and not have reasonable earnings. I'm assuming page impressions is traffic?

Anyway, some day I'll see the light but for now I'm just enjoying writing and interacting.

Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Above in this thread they are telling that write bundle of hubs, only then you will get to earn some good money. Bundle = 80 at least :p

Thanks a lot for the advice.
          I'll start working on it. smile

2. NYMiskovic profile image60
      NYMiskovicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nope!  I've been here 3 weeks and haven't made a single red cent!  I know it's early and it will take time so I am haning in here and hoping....

2. Anti-Valentine profile image76
    Anti-Valentineposted 14 years ago

My Traffic and earnings on HP are likely a lot better than my blogs.

Why? Too many reasons. HP is an all ready recognized source for information, whereas my blogs are relatively new in comparison.

3. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

I guess I am satisfied, I guess I hoped for more earnings though.

4. Anti-Valentine profile image76
    Anti-Valentineposted 14 years ago

Things take time though. For the first two or three months, I wasn't happy with my traffic or earnings, but after that, things get better gradually.

5. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

No

Just dont make enough sad

1. Candie V profile image63
      Candie Vposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course you and I don't do the "Product hawking" some folks do.  Are we here to be informercial salesmen or write stories? That's the line.. tho key words could make a little difference, but not tons.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yea I have to be more market orientated perhaps,or go the other ,or get another job lol

6. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

Satisfied with a place to write that is free and the people are great.  Sure I am not rich, but then again, I don't make my living from this.  Since, yes, satsified.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I am very satisfied with HubPages. If I wasn't, I wouldn't write here. I have earned far away and above here what I have earned on almost every other website I have written for combined.

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I'm very satisfied for being 4 months in and at 135 hubs. Haven't seen this much google traffic this fast and easy, since pre-Florida update.

9. BristolBoy profile image61
    BristolBoyposted 14 years ago

I think the fact that I am still here after 5 months and quite a few hubs speaks for itself!  I must be satisfied!

10. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 14 years ago

Yes I'm plesantly  surprised by HubPages.  I've been here around 18 months and I only write a hub every few weeks yet my earnings are currently increasing around 15-20% per month.  When I started my earnings dropped from an initial $9 down to 7 cents after 4 months.  The moral is stick with it and don't be put off by poor initial results.

Like a lot of others I'm here because I enjoy writing but the money is a nice (and improving) bonus!

11. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

Not satisfied. Yet. Reason is that my earnings are unimpressive, but my traffic is picking up greatly, from about 20 per day, a couple of weeks ago, and now an average of 100 per day. Nowhere near what i envisaged. But i know patience and persistence pays off.
    Im sticking with HP. Great place with great potentials. That is if i improve on the keywords matter.
    And write more hubs. Sigh!!

12. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Overall, yes.  I like the amount of traffic I am getting.  Even though it is not overly impressive, it is much more than my blog gets.

I also greatly appreciate the control I have over my articles.  I can revamp them anytime I like and delete them if I decide to.

13. curiozities profile image60
    curiozitiesposted 14 years ago

Not yet.  I'm seeing little traffic and less money (see my latest hub) but I've seen others say it takes time, so I'll continue being patient.

14. Lissie profile image77
    Lissieposted 14 years ago

If you replied to this thread dissatisfied with your earnings and with less than 20 hubs - the answer is quite simple- publish another 60 or 80 - and see what happens...

Good advice Lissie ,Im on it..phew smile

2. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree writing tons of hubs is part of the cure. But you also have to write hubs that are geared toward selling something or toward generating good google ads.

3. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Adding to that: they can't be hubs that are blog posts of personal life experience, rants, jokes, poetry or whining about HubPages.

1. SEM Pro profile image83
        SEM Proposted 14 years agoin reply to this

WOW Darkside - there's a world of wisdom in your response. Why not personal experiences? Aren't authors who write from personal experiences the only ones with true original content? I've seen how much of the poetry doesn't get huge traffic but you seem to know why. Do tell please - I'd appreciate it!

Not writing about whining about HubPages is obvious as has been pointed out: if someone doesn't like it here - "leave". And if someone has a personally negative experience and simply use this venue to rant or vent, who benefits from that? The more personal I get from what I've learned in life, the more value I feel I'm sharing. And, the more personal others get, I feel as though I've just walked a mile in their shoes and gain volumes. Not so? Why?

1. darkside profile image66

I'd certainly want a review of a product to be real, that's not the personal experience I speak of.

It's the blogging my feelings personal experience that I refer to. Talking about having bad day at work. Or an argument with a partner.

Money comes from advertisers. They are choosing specific keywords that they want to be contained with a page to trigger their ad.

I've just published a hub on boat anchors, and I did some keyword research.

There's half a million results for boat anchors on Google. And just 70,500 for "boat anchors". But that really doesn't tell me much at all.

What's more important to know is that there's 487 people searching for boat anchors every day. Now that's a good thing to know.

What's an even better thing to know is that there are 34 Adword Advertisers paying money for clicks for that keyword.

Now I've just published an article specifically about boat anchors. I could have written about walking down the beach hand in hand and seeing an old rusty ships anchor partially buried in the sand. Which one has the greater chance of being indexed and ranked highly for a search for boat anchors?

Personal blog posts can be a lot of fun to write, and on occasion, depending on the ability of the blogger, they might even have a chance of being enjoyable to read, but they're not much good for monetizing via Google Adsense.

Good money is made by focusing the sights of the sniper rifle and targeting, and personal experience doesn't even cut it in terms of being a shotgun effect. It's more like throwing handfuls of sand and hoping to make some kind of impact.

Perfect - useful and tremendously appreciated Darkside!!! Started to read your hubs and they are equally so. After offering (hopefully) thought provoking, heart changing healing, I will definitely turn to the financial aspect of targeting for bucks. And I know just where to begin learning smile

2. Shannondoah profile image57
        Shannondoahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well I for one, cannot whine about Hubpages of my Earnings, as I haven't written anything.
        There is alot of poetry, on here (Not Cool?) I thought of that,   I do not rant either, but was going to write about my Life Experiences, Not Cool, I am totally worse off now than I was before. Is it better to write from the requested Hubs then?

15. Richard Ring profile image60
    Richard Ringposted 14 years ago

Only been here a few days but appreciate the tools and location to write without having to do the server-side work myself. I'm satisfied so far.

16. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

hmmmmm, I enjoy the forums, but in terms of making money, I'm starting to think that my time might have been better spent elsewhere, but it has been fun.

1. MontyApollo profile image60
      MontyApolloposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's sort of a bummer. You write so well and entertainingly (is that a word?).

17. Shannondoah profile image57
    Shannondoahposted 14 years ago

I have not  written a thing, not one single thing yet. I want to see if it is worthwhile, first.
    I am looking at a Couple of Options, but I would find that if I had to write 60 to 80 to gain anything, I couldn't be bothered.
    I only wish to write material of a good quality, and simply shudder at the thought of crankin out that many, at this stage.

1. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wish you the best, but methinks you are in for a rude awakening, my dear.

1. Shannondoah profile image57

Very nice of you to say that!, especially when you have not seen my articles.

2. darkside profile image66

You've got yourself caught in a catch 22 there.

If you don't write a single hub, you'll never find out if it's worthwhile.

Here's what I'd do, research, write and publish 10 hubs. Leave them for a few months, come back later and see if they've got search engine traffic and Adsense clicks.

Don't promote them at all. But make sure they're unique and useful.

What do people find most interesting small talk, or very serious?

18. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

it's been a learning experience. I feel Hubpages has given me more publicity, but it has also cramped my style and been creatively confining. I get dissapointed that I put a lot in my writing and no one visits my pages or my score is low. I am not here for money, so that part doesn't matter...

19. Kidgas profile image62
    Kidgasposted 14 years ago

I have to say that I am satisfied with HubPages.  I am not a writer and could never make a living of it.  I am writing to share information which hopefully someone might find useful since I do like to teach and share.  While my traffic and earnings are not like some people, they have clearly exceeded my initial expectations.  I will be utterly amazed if both traffic and Adsense clicks continue to progress at the current pace because then over the course of time, WOW.

20. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

I am new to Hubpages. I've just written 12 hubs so I guess I still have a looooonnnnnnggggggggg way to go. Right now, I'm not thinking about earnings. I'm just enjoying my freedom to write and to read other people's hubs / comments. I have a day job and other part-time jobs that can keep me satisfied in terms of financial rewards smile. But if I earn anything from this, why not? It will be an added bonus. As to satisfaction with Hubpages? Yes, I am satisfied. As to the earnings? I'll get back to this question next year. Cheers!

21. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 14 years ago

Yes, I am happy about my earnings. These days I earn more from HubPages than what i earn through my Blogs though that was not the case till 2-3 months back.

I am also happy that I could learn a lot from HubPages and improve myself apart from branding myself as a Writer and Expert on some topics.

That's nice to know Anamika. Good on you.  If you weren't all the way in India, I'd have loved to chat with you about it over Coffee.

Are there any Hubs that you specifically found useful to help you?

Cheers.

Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yea E, it will be worth knowing.

22. DennisBarker profile image61
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

I'm pretty satisfied, getting good traffic on a few of my hubs now that I've tweaked them, earnings not huge but with luck growing in the right direction. My target is 100 hubs by christmas and by then I should know whether putting in the time to write another 100 next year is worthwhile..

23. profile image49
    CabinGirlposted 14 years ago

I am satisfied, if you reply you are not satisfied leave, how easy is that ??

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And then come back again the next day, and then leave again (repeat until desired attention level has been reached, as attention levels drop, repeat again).

It is possible to be dissatisfied with something but also choose to put work into improving on it, without walking off in a huff, so you'll excuse me if I wipe my ass with your advice.

1. profile image49
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can kiss it if you want smile

Think I'll pass, cheers.

2. profile image49
        CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice to know you notice what I do, personally I haven't a clue what you do, keep watching though, I like it. Keep that ass clean smile

Well Jeez my friend, you make sure that everybody's aware of what you do, and if you're really taking some kind of pride in your online forum antics, well that's a little sad then ain't it.

1. profile image49

I take pride in noticing you now copy my split titles, I love that you take interest in me but I care not what you think, like who would care about someone who writes about Lady Boys Feet and Thai Bar Girls lol, so please don't make me laugh about pride.

Ahhhh, that's genius, you came up with the split title, pmsl, ah brilliant.  I think almost everyone at HP is now copying you.

Yeah easy to grab a few titles from somebodys profile without reading anything right?  Maybe I should spend more time writing about my separation anxiety, she left me, boo hoo!

1. profile image49
                CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try Lady Boy Leaves His Thai Girl smile

Oh no, the sock puppets are ganging up on me, I can't take it. big_smile

1. profile image49

Ok no more, I actually like you MrVoodoo you can both give it and more importantly you can take it. Enjoy your day and keep that humor going smile

3. Shannondoah profile image57

I looked at Darkside, and I was impressed, but I looked also at this one and I was totally confused. It seems to say Happy one Day Annoyed the next, I do not understand what is happening with Cabin Girl.
        I will write 10 probably, and see how they go.
        So thanks Darkside.

My apologies for your confusion on that one Shannondoah, I hijacked the thread earlier to pick a bitch fight with BC and CabinGirl, we rolled around on the floor and called each other tossers for a bit, then made up.  It happens occasionally at Hubpages (especially if we're either drunk, or had been drunk the night before) big_smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Hi there ,welcome to Hubpages
          My experience was naive ,and I fumbled about quite a bit ,but people learn in various ways , mine was just do it and be open to critque along the way.
          In fact I look back now ( all of 9mths) and my first hub , I bared my soul lol next two were crappy , then I actually started to improve..

Just be yourself , learn from others ,but if you write exactly what only brings money ,people wont stay long on your page either.

Good Luck smile

Thnx eagle Kiwi, nice to meet you.

24. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I started writing here just for fun and to build an online presence so I could get freelance projects more easily. The first year I only had one payout. Now I'm to the point where I can seen that with a bit of work I could get a decent monthly payout here, which is something I never expected. So yes, I'm happy here.

25. aidenofthetower profile image66
    aidenofthetowerposted 14 years ago

I am moderately satisfied. On one hand I do wish that I got more money (particularly). One the other hand, I know that if I wrote/write more hubs then my earnings will increase....

26. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

This turned out to be a very long response, and I always feed bad to be long-winded; but I thought - because I have been here awhile, have a mix of types of Hubs, and have earned fairly well - it might be helpful to anyone who hasn't put in two years on HubPages.  It's the kind of specific info I would have liked to have seen two years ago:

I'm not necessarily "satisfied with the earnings" as far as wishing a lot of my Hubs earned more goes; but I'm satisfied to have seen for myself the earnings potential if Hubbers write the "right" kind of Hub.

Of my 200 or so Hubs, an awful lot of them were answers to requests (over 100 or more).  That's because when I first signed up I was just looking to write and found subjects by answering requests.  (I've been "Number 4", or so, "request answerer" for months now.)  The trouble is that requests aren't often designed as topics that people will search for, so "write off" over 100 of my Hubs as not being designed to be very searchable.  If I knew more when I wrote most of them I would have designed them differently.

Then I have some "searchable" and "useful" Hubs.  Those do well.  (I have one I wrote on a disgusting subject, in answer to a request - yellow finger and toenails.  That does surprisingly well, and I kind of regret that I have it in my "collection" because it's so "gross"  smile.)  Some do VERY WELL.  They're the reason I am (in one way) very satisfied with my earnings.  (They're also the kind of Hubs HubPages recommends people write.)  Writing on something that everyone else writes about won't do as well as writing on something that not too many people write about.  Writing something different from "all the other, same stuff, out there" will do better than writing "yet another same-thing about something".

I have some Hubs that some people would call "hawking infomercial products".  I've even been accused of working for the companies (if the Hub is positive) or competitors (if it's negative).  I wrote them because I had the products, would have liked honest thoughts from someone else who had them before I bought them, and thought they were, in their own way, useful.  Those do well because they're searchable.  I'm not selling anything and don't care who buys any of the products I've written about.  I just saw my experiences as useful.

Then there are Hubs I've written that are either based on life experience, research, or what I think is "life wisdom".   I have more than 500 such pieces on one other writing site and 45/50 on another; and a relative few (of that type) on here (after you subtract all the types mentioned above).  I would say the earnings are either comparable or much better to other sites, depending on the individual piece of writing.

I've paid little attention to keywords and don't really promote any of my Hubs.  Even with that, those useful, unique, Hubs aimed at the "right" field/subject can really earn.  The "what-I-know-about-potty-training" type of things earn, but that type of Hub seems to me (again, without promoting, keyword-attention, attention to how the title is worded, or any number of other things that would get me more traffic) to need to come in higher quantities to add up to earnings.  Just as HubPages recommends, "unique" and "useful" (things people will be searching for) will earn best.  "Keep writing" (and adding quantity) will also add up in earnings.

So, I am satisfied that there can be excellent earnings on "the right kind of Hub".  I'm satisfied that "any old, reasonably well written" Hub on any subject can earn if Hubbers write enough of that type of Hub.  I'm satisfied with knowing that I could/should be earning a lot more if I put in the time/effort in promoting my Hubs or writing more specific/searchable ones.  I'm satisfied in that I've generally earned about 10 times more on HubPages each month than I've earned on other sites (although this month I've seen a decrease so far and may only earn about three times more).  (Again, though, consider that I have 560-something articles on one other site and only 200-something here, with - like - 145 of them aimed at answering requests and disregarding what "the right kind" of Hub is.)  Hope this has been helpful.

27. Nanny J.O.A.T. profile image66
    Nanny J.O.A.T.posted 14 years ago

Am I satisfied?

In most ways - Yes, In some ways - No!

I'm satisfied with the personal atmosphere and the ability to connect with people that can teach me how to write better and smarter.

I'm satisfied that the site itself is easy to use without alot of restrictions and technical behind the scenes work.

I'm definitely satisfied with being able to read and rate other's works and have mine rated and commented on without the sense of competition found on other sites.

I'm NOT satisified with the trend it seems that Hubpages is taking. The emphasis has turned more and more to how to make money - not how to be a great and effective writer. This is both by staff and by the writers themselves.

One of the items on the checklist for starting a new hub is that it be primarily english- yet we get hubs that are nothing but pics and badly translated english. We get personal rants and raves that detract from the purpose of being here.

Hubpages is coming to the crossroads - are they going to be a respected website for their quality of articles and writers or are they going to let quality suffer for the almighty dollar?

1. darkside profile image66

HubPages has always been about making money. The site wouldn't exist if it didn't make money.

That's not to say that people can't write about what they enjoy.

Just if they want to write well, and effectively, it can be profitable.

Quality doesn't have to suffer. Look at magazines. The better the quality the more likely people will buy the magazine.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

People are all looking for different things from a writing site.  Some people are looking to learn about writing.  Some have been writing for years and aren't looking for tips on writing.  I've drifted from another site because they are so focused on "helping beginners learn to write".   It's really obnoxious for "non-beginners" to "exist" on a site where the assumption is that everyone needs tips on writing.  The site in question has even "spread the word" that "it's not enough to have a way with words".  Well, having a way with words does help and count on HubPages.  It's reflected in people's HubScores, which then translates, at least to some degree, to traffic and earnings.  I've noticed that a lot of people on HubPages are really excellent writers.  I doubt they're looking for tips on how to write better.  The thing is, though, that even that well known site that is now so focused on teaching people how to produce a "high-quality, professionally written" article pays no attention to helping people learn more about how to produce "great and effective" writing.  No site is going to offer every one of its thousands of members what they're looking for.

28. Lisa HW profile image61

Nanny JOAT, I think it's interesting that the "almight-dollar" thing is your take on HubPages.  I don't see it that way.  I had been writing for another site, and they got too much into the "let's all help everyone else learn to write" thing.  I've drifted, because - sorry - at my age I'm not interested in learning what I don't know already or in being other people's English teacher.

What I like about HubPages is (first) that I think there are a lot of really good writers on here.  Sure, there are some junk Hubs; but it looks to me like the percentage of good writers is very high (compared to some other writing sites).  I'm not embarrassed to have my stuff on here because - really - I see my stuff as among the crummier level of Hubs on here.  I'm more embarrassed by my own Hubs than embarrassed to have my stuff on here (as I have been on some sites). 

People have the creative freedom to add all kinds of stuff to their Hubs and to write whatever they want to write.  One reason I don't earn more than I do is that I go back and forth between writing what I feel like writing, writing in answer to request because I'm in the mood for a challenge, and writing something I think is useful or informative.  I don't think being interested in earnings, of HubPages' admin's mentioning ways to earn more (which is what a lot of people are interested in doing) is only seeing "the almighty dollar".   We, Hubbers, aren't getting e.mails that remind us/tell us about how to write a "professional, high-quality" piece (as one site sends out).  We're left on our own to either aim for better earnings or not.

Some people don't care about earnings.  Some - even creative writers - welcome tips on increasing earnings.  Some people aren't "writer types" and only want the earnings.  It's all fine.  HubPages is a business and businesses aim to earn, but that means that HubPages is also supportive of writers who hope to increase their own earnings.  I don't talking about earnings is a bad thing or means that people can't care about the quality/creativity of their own writing.  People who don't care about earnings don't have to feel pressured to earn.  I find HubPages, more than a lot of other sites, is a nice blend of creative outlet and earnings potential.

1. Nanny J.O.A.T. profile image66
      Nanny J.O.A.T.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you may have misunderstood my reference - I see hub pages coming to the crossroad of having to decide between quantity and quality. There is always going to be commercialization- hub page admin does a very good job of pointing people in the right direction - but there has to be a balance or you tip over into a money making machine without thought for what you are actually putting out.

I am in no way saying DON"T MAKE MONEY!!, but look at the forums- Adsense this, Google that, He said She said. People are quickly drawn to making money rather than writing good content. The question for hubpages becomes do they want to make money by sheer volume or by having a reputation of having quality work that is original?

I'm suggesting that maybe a little bit of a return to professional ethics and etiquette should be called for - this thread being an example of when people forget that this is a writing site and act like they are at home chatting with friends.

I like good banter just as much if not more than anyone else. But - it spills over into other areas and hubs and detracts from the reputation of the site and that hurts us all in terms of "the almighty dollar".

I'm also talking about the so- called junk hubs- what percentage is acceptable? If you never get a second chance to make a first impression - how many visitors have we lost due to it? That's the decision that Hub pages will have to make in the near future. It's a tough one and I applaud the staff who try to do their best about making it.

The original question was how satisfied are you with Hubpages- I gave my opinion - that is what it is - MY opinion, based on my observations as a participant on this website.

Hubpages has great originality - I would hate to see it become "one of those" writing sites - because of the "almighty dollar".

29. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Lol hey dont apologise to me, I was winding you up and trust me as you well know nobody takes the hump more than me, but sure the place would be damn boring if we were all the same. Take care Voodoo smile

30. Eaglekiwi profile image74

lol laughin with you not at you

lots of water and Vitamin B

Im impressed, seriously I am smile way to go MrV n Badco

Yeah, who do you think you're laughing at?!? Wanna fight? big_smile lol (Joking)

I was gonna drink lots of water and maybe some Vit B, but just discovered another 6 beers left over from last night, sweet, hair of the dog! wink

http://abhishekkatiyar.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/hangover.jpg  ut ohhh...cheers smile

31. profile image49

Oh shut up ya nosey cow smile

PS - Meant in a funny, nice way ok !!

bring it panda eyes lol ;lol:

1. profile image49

Lol noooo way, I only wind guys up, do I look stupid enough to try and take a woman on, especially one like you moi friend smile

wisdom does reign upon the slippery decks smile...besides cows rock

hey whats that last part mean ,especially like me?  lol

2. fortunerep profile image69
          fortunerepposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I notice things becuase that is what i do, you have used moi several times, were you bad girl that commented on my hub, need to talk
          dori

Hi Dori not sure if youre asking your question to me or Badco?

If it was me ,not Im not badgirl, Im a good girl lol
            Were you meaning Mandy a.k.a badgirl perhaps?

1. profile image49

Thats who she meant, will you please tell her it wasn't me or moi smile

your word is good enough bc smile
                p.s I use the word moi too though ,so wasnt sure if she thought it was me...

I have only ever been eaglekiwi (diff avatars,in case ya never noticed..sshhh bc..) but same name

but hey dori if ya wanna talk to her just email one of mandys avatars??

2. profile image49

No I deff wasnt badgirl but I think most hubbers in the know do know who badgirl was. I also use jeeez as well as moi as also methinks and have noticed a few also using them but deff not guilty of being badgirl and am sure others will back me up on that. Or do it yourself, I only just left a comment with you, check the ips, mine is always the same !

32. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

In regard to commercial hubs, I think it they are not guaranteed money makers. Some people have a knack for writing them and do very well with them, but I find my best-earning hubs are 'how to' and 'top ten' lists. Funny hubs, especially top ten funny hubs, usually do well for me too.

I think writers are all different. It's not lucrative to write about your feelings but if you don't put a personal spin on it you won't have any fun and people won't come back. There's a gazillion ipod blog posts out there, why should anyone especially care about yours?

You can kill yourself finding niche topics, but again, speaking only for me, I like to at least care about what I write a little bit. And sometimes topics I think will be big earners are dogs, and others that I just write on a whim are big earners. My top earning hub was a rant about how stupid affiliate marketing is. It's still earning after a year and a half.

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth---about 2 cents. lol! lol

1. profile image49

Funny deff does well but pays really bad. My best regular viewed hub which I only did for a laugh is the Lingerie one, I did it nearly 2 months ago and it still gets 30-40 views a day.

Oh plus as you said my top 10 music videos, you are right though best just writing commercial but enjoy the topic. It really is a surprise though what hubs turn out popular, but thats the fun of writing !

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes! That lingerie stuff really takes off! Bard of Ely has some of those. I wrote one for a lark just to see if it would get hits, and it's my third most viewed hub now but Google keeps pulling the ads. They pull them then put them back then pull them then put them back. It's nuts. yikes

33. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Just wondering Pam ,since my travel hubs seems to do ok , wouldnt I be better trying to write for a tavel place or something?

Thats commercial right?

And with the personal type hubs , in the beginning a few friends said , write about your own experiences because everyone likes to hear about other peoples lives right?...so I did , but those people just read and dont click the adds..lol,so youre right there.

I decided to put some different Amazon adverts instead,like for a relationship one ,maybe 'career choices' instead of my first impulse to use ' mushy adverts' candles or diamonds etc...dunno yet.

On a positive note my earnings are beginning to increase ,but erratically...definately still penny's, but seeing just one cent jump to 50c (a day) made my heart race!!
    I thought I was having a hot flash lol

1. profile image0

I know people who do GREAT with travel hubs, so if you like to write them, wow, go for it. I see lots of travel writing projects posted at Elance.com, and I know lots of other web sites need it too. Sufi Dreamer and Lissie both do well with travel hubs. Lissie is making out like a bandit here. She is a resident Goddess of Revenue. big_smile

I know you will get there! It seems to take forever at first, but then once you get your first payout, they come faster and faster.

Thanks alot for the tips and encouragement, not quite ready to graduate yet ,but great to know Im on the right track smile

34. profile image49

Oh and Tattoos, that topic does really well and deff I will be writing about Tattoos again. !

1. profile image0

Seriously? I'm gonna try that. I'd love to get a tattoo but I'm too chicken so this could be away to vicariously have fun with that. smile

1. profile image49

Averages again 30 a day but it also does really well with adsense clicks as the readers are looking more tattoo info so give it a go !

35. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Badcompany ...its all good...

http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ni6G_GNopb_fBM:http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/GottaLaff/CowKissingAir.gif

1. profile image49

For some sick reason I kinda find that sexy, I need to get out and meet a nice woman, or if all fails a nice man smile

That's a must bc! If a smack from that turns you on - hop ashore a bit my friend - there are signs everywhere LOL

36. fortunerep profile image69
    fortunerepposted 14 years ago

To ne honest, I don't make alot of money, change actually, but I know me and If I have been here this long and have not left, I have to love it and I do. Write for free, meet great people and earn money, hell i even became reunited with my Unlce here.  What more can you ask for except free drinks. 

dori

Love it dori! so true. Helluva drive to get to you but next time I'm passing through - I'll bring you a few free drinks K? Whats your favorite?

1. fortunerep profile image69

Well Sem Pro I dont really  drink alcohol but I was a bartender to 6 years during college.  I made up a good drink it is called a HUNKY-DORI

malibu rum
        blue liqueor
        pinieapple juice
        splash of sweet and sour
        splash of grenadine

I could sip on that one all night!  It's pretty popular in Chapel Hill, NC

37. Lisa HW profile image61

SEM Pro, I've written some personal-experience Hubs based on, I think, the kind of reasoning you've used (that it can be useful to some people going through some things to read about what others have learned from going through the same thing).  I used to be self-conscious about them, because they were personal experience.  I hoped readers would realize my point was to share what I'd learned, rather than just vent about a bad experience.  Whether it's on this site or elsewhere, some of them have actually done ok enough (considering they're not "how to earn a million dollars a day" or "how to lose weight while eating all you want", so I can't expect that kind of traffic).  One thing the more well written ones have done (on here or elsewhere) has been to increase my "ratings" or whatever "reputation" I have as a writer (and thereby contribute to traffic/earnings indirectly).

I think there is a difference between "This is my rant about my horrible day with my horrible husband and horrible kids and horrible boss" and "These were issues/experiences I dealt with when I had a premature baby" (or moved to the US or took care of my elderly parent or some other big "life issue").  I do think some personal-experience things do have something of value to someone looking for other than the usual "clinical" thing that addresses the subject.  I think it depends on how much/how directly they are sharing knowledge/information/experience.  I do think sometimes that being too subtle about why we share some experience can mean readers don't realize we're trying to share what we've learned, rather than just tell a story.

1. profile image0

This was so well said. I agree with what you say here.

I like HP because there's more to it than just money. The community, the personal sharing, etc, and I think you are right that there's a certain kind of personal essay that is more universal. I like to read those kinds of hubs, and even though they might not make big bucks I'd miss them if people quit writing them. I'm certainly not going to quit writing them, because for me, that kind of hub is what makes it fun and rewarding to be here.

Sometimes I think the internet hasn't been good for writing and writers, but when I write about that, I get clobbered (usually). What I mean is, it pushes quality down and commercialism up. smile

38. SEM Pro profile image83
    SEM Proposted 14 years ago

Lisa - true, true. Thanks to Denny, think my hub on overcoming incurable diseases is now enjoying a whole lot of traffic and I love every second of it thinking it may just change a person's whole life - that was about as personal as I could get. So I agree with you - they seem to increase overall traffic and other's realizing we're not just venting without purpose.

I'm not much of a drinker myself dori - but I do believe a girl's night out (mine usually ending with achy ribs from laughing so much and having a truly great time)might be just the thing we need once-in-awhile. Seems to be a real "union" of Hubbers in the works to head to Florida and listen to Jimmy's band with James and a few others - will your schedule allow?

1. fortunerep profile image69

When is it planned for?

Well now, let's see - when are you available?

39. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I enjoy the variety and quality of many of the authors on the Hub.  I didn't join specifically to make money, but to read and to write (yes, I know I'm not near the writer most are).  My traffic is very low, so I'm not making any money.

I do enjoy the forums.

40. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Whose going to Florida?

It's beginning to look like a bunch of us EK - are you in?

Ohhhh I wish..dammit I do,sounds like a blast!

Not this time semi sad

Dang - havin' you there would guarantee achy ribs smile

I'm betting (just so bc knows we all do once-in-awhile) you change your mind after 3 more hubs about it - then you'll be jumpin' in your car saying "who cares if it's 3,000 miles away!" lol

oh jeez Florida's just down the road ,after a 22hrs up in the clouds on a Boeing  lol

p.s Is Fl only 3hrs from SC?

OOPS sorry speed read and only picked up the number 3 ,in 3,000 lol

Speed read? That's a subliminal slip - the bet's down to 2 smile

I'm in GA now, dori's in Chapel Hill (but hasn't responded yet), and old fan and previous bass player are in AZ but James says he doesn't think there'd be enough fans to plan a reunion there... so FL - Orlando - it's already happening wkly. Let's see, few more "jacabear"... have to make a list...

oh wow so im smack bang in between you too ,that is South Carolina..never did well in Geography either lol

Be patient with me Im a foreigner...( ohh now theres a band!)
                and Im also shy

SHY??? you might be mixing the dictionaries with the maps Girlfriend LOL If you're in SC - believe me, we're picking you up!!! Chapel Hill is in NC - just north of you - heading south (along hwy 95 - that's under "fast") to FL - Orlando is northern FL, so it's not far at all - I've driven it about 1.000 times.

Band = White Summer, or actually, Bad Mannerz, but James promises to play too. Another friend of his might be picked up in Anderson, SC (that's under "BFE" - western SC)...

41. SEM Pro profile image83
    SEM Proposted 14 years ago

And despite the criteria explained for a hub's required length or additions, often the shorter hubs, written for a quick breeze in and out, do better.

42. profile image0
    hubpageswriterposted 14 years ago

I am very happy with Hubpages.  It's great to store our writings definitely and have something extra..

43. Balinese profile image40
    Balineseposted 14 years ago

dont know yet -  as im new here -_-_-)))

44. Dale Nelson profile image39
    Dale Nelsonposted 14 years ago

You mean you can earn money here.

Joking.I'm as satisfied as a newbie can be i suppose.Easy to use.Getting more page views than my blog does.So Im pleased to not be hubbing for no readers.(makes sense i think)

45. Ron Mariano profile image60
    Ron Marianoposted 14 years ago

I'm just starting so I wouldn't know yet. I enjoy hanging out here though and reading hubs. Coming in the forums and just contributing to discussions. Maybe I'm saying that I'm here just for fun but I also want to earn a few bucks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)