Toddlers and Tiaras on TLC channel

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (24 posts)
  1. trish1048 profile image68
    trish1048posted 14 years ago

Love it or hate it?

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think the mothers are doing their daughters a serious disservice.  No matter what they say, it is their dreams being pushed onto the child.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Hate it too, watched one episode and won't watch another.

3. trish1048 profile image68

I absolutely hate it.  I agree.  The mothers are living vicariously through their daughters.  In a clip one night, one mother said I don't care if people hate me or think I'm a bad mom.  Another said, I don't see what's wrong with it.  They are learning poise, how to take direction, blah blah blah.  These mothers sicken me.  Someone tell me why a child can't be taught those things at home.  These beautiful young girls are being taught to be puppets, to smile when they are sad, to be more beautiful than the next girl, more talented, and on and on it goes.  If anything, these poor girls will grow up with superficial values.  They will learn that if they are not pretty or talented enough, they are nothing.  If it's some kind of educational perks the mothers are looking for, there are schools for that.  Children do not have to be put on parade and gawked at.  Toddlers!  what next? 
    Mothers of pageant children, wake up!  Daughters at 3, 4 and 5 years old are being made to look like hookers, for God's sake.  Teaching them 'bumps and grinds'?  'Come hither' looks?  Downright disgusting.
    For those of you who haven't seen or heard of it, go to TLC's website here http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/toddlers-ti … iaras.html

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79

What really gets me is how adult they make so many of these children look. I could accept it grudgingly if they didn't have then done up like cheap hookers.

5. Herald Daily profile image59
    Herald Dailyposted 14 years ago

So, doesn't what happened to Jean Benet Ramsey mean anything to those moms?  Man, that is hard to believe.

6. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I say shame on TLC.  They used to have educational programming.  There have always been "stage moms".  They do not need to be glorified.

7. trish1048 profile image68

Where I live, I watch HLN news.  Every night, Nancy Grace and Jane Velez Mitchell each have two hours.  Their focus is on missing children.  They report other headline news, but the main focus is missing children.  All these pageant moms have to do is watch a few nights, and they will get an eye and ear full.  Hell, pick up a newspaper.  Maybe they think, oh, that happens to other kids, not mine.  It only takes a blink of an eye!  It happens every day, every hour all over the country.  No child is immune.  And, to put these precious children on public display is beyond my comprehension.  What the hell are the mothers thinking?  Obviously, nothing.

8. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Hate it
    Nothing child like about at all.

9. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 14 years ago

We can be pissed off at what TLC is doing, but they are at the same time reflecting a current in society that is real.  Pedophilia exists in many realms, from those who act on it to those who enjoy it vicariously.

A question to all who enjoy this program...why?

10. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Not sure I would have liked it, so I did not watch it in the first place.  The preview with the dad choreographing the daughter's dance moves just freaked me out.  To me it almost seems as if he wanted in a pageant, and I think he should do that rather than have a toddler participate.  Sorry if that comment offends anyone, but I really find these young beauty pageants to be a bit disturbing.

11. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

I'm not a big fan of most reality shows. This one takes tacky sensationalism to a new extreme.
    I have watched it a few times -- to me it's like watching an accident on the freeway. You know you shouldn't gawk, but just can't turn away because it's so horrific.
    Agree the mothers are downright scary. Amazing how dumpy and unattractive 99% of them are. And there are even some dads involved.
    Really tough to watch when they drag their other kids to watch "sissy" compete. That must be a swell way to spend your childhood. What message does it send to the non-competing siblings?
    And all you have to do is take one look at the judges to know what they're there for. *shudder*

12. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

It's disgusting.  I just think, "Is this what you want to do to your little girl?!!"  What I noticed about the site (mentioned above) is the "before and after" pictures.  The "before" pictures look like the mothers put no effort into dressing their little girls nicely.  If you look around at a lot of preschools and kindergartens it's plain to see that a lot of "regular" mothers give their little girls nice outfits and hair accessories to wear.  There are really cute/pretty little outfits for little girls.  The little girls in the "befores" look like their mothers don't bother with what's cute/pretty if they're not dressed up for the pageant.  They go from the extreme of "looking like orphans" to the ridiculous (and I think almost abusive) "saloon girl" look.  The little girls just look bizarre.  It kind of reminds me of these crime shows where pervert-freaks do things like put weird make-up on their victims.  I treasured my own little girl too much to ever have been willing to "turn her into something weird" like that.

At the very least, the people running those pageants ought to have some rules about age-appropriate dresses and hair and limited make-up.  If the parents are too stupid to treasure their own child's "little-girl-ness" someone ought to do it.

13. Lady_E profile image60
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Not a good idea. If there was no money involved, I'm sure they wouldn't do it.

14. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

My best friend is a model and her mother used to be. You would be shocked at the stuff she says to her daughter like "it's ok to be a little showy! You want people to look at you"....her mom is absolutely insane. She has always been a 'stage' mom and is trying to live through her daughter. It's very hard for my best friend to deal with.

On the other hand, I have another friend who participated in pageants when she was little and she loved it. She also has an overbearing mom, but she still enjoyed the experience. She wanted to do it. Even at age 4/5/6, she remembers being stressed, but still having a great time.

Ultimately, I don't agree with moms like that, but it does depend on the child. Sometimes, you can clearly see that mom is more into it than her daughter and that is not right, at all.

15. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

It's definitely a sub-culture that TV is exploiting for its own gain. People must watch this stuff or it wouldn't be coming back for a second season, right?
    I have been thinking about this and wonder if "forcing" your little girl to participate in pageants is more harmful that "forcing" your kids to play soccer if they really don't want to. I think the major difference is soccer is a team sport and the child can learn valuable lessons from it.
    Pageantry is the ultimate narcissism feeder.
    What happens to that precious, flirtatious little 4/5/6 year old when she hits puberty, gets zits and maybe isn't so pretty anymore? Who will be more devestated? The child... or the mother?

16. ledefensetech profile image67
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

Hate it.  It says something sad about these parents that they try to live their shattered hopes through their children.  Many of them either never got over the fact that they got older and could no longer compete in pageants or were never considered for pageants in the first place and want to make themselves feel special by having their kids compete.

As for this being a program of the "Learning Channel", well the rest of public education has been dumbing down education for decades now, it's only to be expected that the "Learning" Channel do the same.

17. trish1048 profile image68

I'm so glad to see I am not alone.  Thank you all for commenting smile

18. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Yes, I used to really like TLC now it's mostly cheap reality shows.

19. Maddie Ruud profile image71
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

Pageants, at any age, make me sick.  I've spoken to some women who say it is empowering.  How could being judged [primarily] on your looks be empowering in any way?

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't imagine feeling like I had to look like that at such a young age.  I saw a documentary of two pageant kids in their teens.  One of the girls got out of it and was doing well in school, and with friends.  The other stayed in the pageant circuit and was a basketcase.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree.

Message is loud an clear it seems , if ya hot yer in
      if ya not , yer out .

Some of those big girls ( mums) definately have some issues!

20. cindyvine profile image68
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Did they ever find out what happened to that little Ramsay girl - who did it?

21. cindyvine profile image68
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

I thinkthe pressure on those kids must be so stressful.  What was that movie about that little girl, Little Miss sunshine?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)