40% drop in views so far today. Any thoughts?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (113 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years ago

I am very surprised to see that my page views have dropped so drastically today.  I see no reason for it and am wondering if something has happened site wise or if this is just my own problem.  Any thoughts?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If it's just today, there's always a chance there's a glitch in the figures.

2. misterhollywood profile image91
      misterhollywoodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What I have done when this happens is do a quick Google search and Bing search to see how my stuff is being listed. While not the most accurate way of seeing what is going on it can be a helpful approach in terms of gauging traffic changes.

3. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually, what you are reporting is not a new phenomena for you.  Two years ago, you thought it was due to back-to-school.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/102287

1. suramyakh profile image60
        suramyakhposted 9 years agoin reply to this

^^ That is so creepy, relache! (chuckles)

2. FatFreddysCat profile image95
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

Yeah, it's weird. I had seemingly settled into a pretty comfortable "groove" for the past few months, getting roughly the same # of views per day... then all of sudden, the #'s have been up one day, down the next, up, down, up, down like a yo-yo for the past week or so. Unfortunately, today seems to be a "down" day. sad

3. dwelburn profile image91
    dwelburnposted 9 years ago

Yes; I'm down over 50%. Hope it's just temporary.

4. Writer Fox profile image33
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

This is the last week of summer vacation in the northern hemisphere.  The UK just finished a three-day weekend banking holiday.  The US has a holiday on September 1.  The school year won't start until after Labor Day.  I wouldn't panic until after September 2.

1. Dale Hyde profile image81
      Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

School started here in the Houston area yesterday. smile  However, the views don't concern me as much as a drop in earnings.  The earnings have dropped in comparison to the views by 50 percent from what I am seeing.

1. Solaras profile image95
        Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Indeed Dale - the drop in earnings is depressing.  50% down for me as well.  School started in the Atlanta area 2 weeks ago. Amazon sales improved some as a result, but overall, I am still waiting for summer to end.

1. Dale Hyde profile image81
          Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't dwell on statics too much, but I can see where my earnings has dropped versus page views.  Someone is making the money but not I, lol.  I am thinking this is the lowest earnings I have seen in the almost three years I have been here on HP.

5. My Bell profile image94
    My Bellposted 9 years ago

I experience the "yo-yo" of stats often. I'm new to this, just 3 months in, and don't have too many hubs yet so that could be the reason. I'm sure there are time of the year when numbers naturally go down due to holidays, weather, timing of hub topics, etc. I'm still learning here and love to learn from those like you who are seasoned, committed, and are publishing super hubs!

6. firstday profile image60
    firstdayposted 9 years ago

Same here those arrows up and then down.

7. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 9 years ago

Yep me too! I did wonder if it was a glitch or whether Google was doing its little juggle dance again! shift us all around to keep us on our toes!

8. rebekahELLE profile image87
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

My views are up today.

It could very well relate to topics.  Vacation time has basically ended in the US.  It's back to school. Some states are already back in session.

9. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 9 years ago

I've been stuck in my lowest numbers for a while now.  Figured HP tweaked the algorithm again.  Maybe it's just summer.  Hope so!

10. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I am in PA.  In my area, school started today, and yesterday for nearby county.

11. ologsinquito profile image82
    ologsinquitoposted 9 years ago

Glad it's not just me. If it's any consolation, it seems to be the same, at least from my perspective, on other platforms as well.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, I am hoping this is not another Google attack!  I've been hit hard three times over the past 2 1/2 years and finally have managed to crawl back up to a decent amount of views and money...and WHAM!

My main niche is summer vacation oriented but even with that., THOSE hubs are getting views but for the rest I am seeing straight zeros and many, many blue arrows.

This really sucks!

12. firstday profile image60
    firstdayposted 9 years ago

Oh TIMETRAVELER2 it will get better…hang in there.  I am still trying to figure out how to do all this.  You are a pro.

firstday:

Well, no matter how many years you do this, you still are subject to the ebbs and flows of external situations.  This is a perfect example.

Don't try to take it all in at once or you will go crazy.  You will learn as you go, just as I did.

One important thing to learn is not to look at your traffic stats daily.   

You can't draw any conclusions whatsoever from what your stats are doing on a daily basis, because Google doesn't react instantly to what you do.  Also weird things can happen - e.g Google might launch an update, make a mistake which causes the SERPs to go haywire, then roll it back the next day.  So it's a waste of time and causes unnecessary angst.  Traffic is something to look at once a month or so, and then you may see trends.

13. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Burning Man, clearly.

14. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Lots of parents took their children back to school today. Lots of people returned to work today. Less people are goofing off on the internet at work. College students returned to classes as well. I think that's some of what might decrease traffic on a Tuesday in late August. Most schools in the DC/MD/VA areas opened yesterday and today.

I can't wait to see more people goofing off at work!

Here's how bad it is:

Two days ago my main Google search views were 644.  This morning, so far, they are 80!

I know I've been through this before,but this one really hurts because I was doing the best I have ever done since being on HP.

I just wrote a forum a few days ago stating that I now have 200,000 plus views.  Maybe I cursed myself by doing that!

At these rates, i'll be 103 before I make it to another 100,000!

If it is not just me, something is going on, but I find it hard to believe that back to school, etc. would cause this much of a drop.

I cannot help but think that Google is messing around again, but so far, I have not been able to find any evidence of this.

1. Writer Fox profile image33
          Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's worldwide right now.  Some SEOs think it is a Google Panda update:
          https://www.seroundtable.com/google-upd … 18980.html

Some think it is a Google Penguin update (play the video):
          https://www.seroundtable.com/google-pen … 19009.html

So far, there has been no official response from Google and many have already asked for one.

Writer Fox:

Thank you SO much for posting this. I just KNEW this had to be something much bigger than end of summer, back to school stuff.

I would love to know what it is they went after (who wouldn't??) because I have worked my butt off trying to provide everything Google as asked of writers...and now THIS?

Please keep us in the loop, I'm sure many here are as upset as I am about this.

No one is really certain at this point what has happened.  The last announced update, Panda 4.0, was on May 17th, but HP traffic actually went up from that one.  However, some of my pages lost about 40% of traffic, and now are back up.

It looks like to me that Google evaluated the HP site on August 12th, and traffic has fallen 9% since that time (mine hasn't). But, the last two weeks in August are typically slow and school has not yet started on the east coast, at least not in New York.

Have you checked your Google Webmaster account to see if there are warnings or penalties?

Writer Fox:

I'm not sure how to do that but nothing is showing on my dashboard that I can see.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

Check under "Messages" - first link under "Dashboard" on the left menu.  Also, see this for big pictures:
                  http://blog.searchengineacademy.com/blo … s-warning/

Writer Fox:

Thanks.  I looked there and there were no messages at all.

Do you know, when something like this happens, just how long it takes Google to reorganize everything so that page views normalize again?

In the past it has taken many, many months after a hit, and I am hoping that will not be the case this time, especially with all the new writers coming over from Squidoo and the holidays just around the corner.

15. cfin profile image65
    cfinposted 9 years ago

Mine is also about 40%. Maybe 45% drop. I was doing so well sad

16. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 9 years ago

To be honest I think its Google doing its shuffle again, I was just looking up a site that I always read and would you believe it? its totally disappeared! It usually sits nicely at the top of Google but now we have a third rate one sitting there, and the one I read has gone, maybe the shuffle has left us all at the bottom of the card deck so to speak!

Forgot to say, even trying to find Bubblews is a chore! There are loads of links to posts, but the actually Site itself has disappeared unless you click on someone else's link!

17. profile image0
    Tilecleaninghubposted 9 years ago

Could be the squidoo migration.  There will only be one hubpages result per search query.  So for example if you have an article about baking a pie and there is a better article from a squid about baking a pie then the squids article will overtake you.

1. Nell Rose profile image90
      Nell Roseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I hope that's not the case, but it did cross my mind. We will see.

2. Writer Fox profile image33

The Squidoo migration hasn't happened yet.  It will start on September 2nd according to Paul E's forum post yesterday. So, that's not the reason for this drop in traffic.

1. Nell Rose profile image90
        Nell Roseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Fox that's good to know.

Hi Nell, 

Check the posts above.  Something is definitely going on with Google right now.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Tilecleaningclub:

That is not necessarily true.  If one person's article is better than another's, then the better one will show.  It doesn't matter which group the article came from

18. LesleesBits profile image84
    LesleesBitsposted 9 years ago

Mine dropped about a week ago. Drastic and has since stayed on the low side. Totally bummed

19. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

TIMETRAVELER2,
    End of summer, many students/teachers went back to school - including college.

Marisa:

Well, it's hard to think that it isn't a Google update when Writer Fox states that this issue has happened worldwide and so many other writers here are having similar problems.

There's not much I can do about it anyhow except wait, but man, this one really hurt!

Saying a two-week-old Google update caused a sudden loss of traffic today, is like saying there was a storm 10 days ago which knocked a flowerpot of my wall this morning.

Marisa:

So you think this is an end of summer, back to school issue?

No, I'm saying I don't know.   

- Maybe it's back to school
            - Maybe there's a glitch in traffic reporting
            - Maybe Google is testing
            - Maybe Google decided the last update didn't work as they'd hoped, so they're tweaking it
            - Maybe they have issued an update
            - Or any of half a dozen other reasons we haven't thought of.

Only the last one is going to result in a permanent change.   It's far too soon to tell.  There's no point in even trying to work out what has caused a traffic drop within one or two days.  If it is another new update, then it will take a day or two for the professional webmasters to start reacting.  Chill!

Marisa, didn't you even read this thread?  She hasn't lost her Google rankings.  Her rankings are still holding and her lack of traffic is not due to Google.

If you read TT2's most recent comment, the message she's taken from your post about the August update is that it is the cause of her traffic loss.  I'm trying to point out to her that's highly unlikely.  There are many options whenever there is a traffic loss, especially when it's only been a day or two, so it's sensible to wait and see.

1. dwelburn profile image91
                  dwelburnposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well I have lost all my rankings. They are completely gone. My traffic has dropped from 800 a day to 150, so it's really bad. This did happen once before though and it came back - but took several weeks.

dwellburn:

Did you do anything to make it come back or did you just wait it out.  Your loss seems similar to mine and I cannot seem to get it to move.

2. Susana S profile image91
            Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes your pages hold their SERP's for your main phrases, yet you lose traffic/rankings for lots of long tail phrases. That's worth checking in your analytics.

Personally, my traffic is up over the last week or so, but it's mostly my editors choice hubs that have risen. Some of those have also recently been edited by a Hubpages editor and I think that's having a positive effect.

2. Writer Fox profile image33

Sorry to inform you, but datasets don't always update on the same day.  August 26th was a major day of turbulence in Google rankings:
          http://mozcast.com/

MozCast says it was created because Google issues all kinds of small updates all the time, and their site is meant to be a way of tracking the "turbulence" caused by all those little updates.   It's not saying that a major update takes a long time to have an impact.

20. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

My traffic has seen a recovery over the last few weeks, it had dropped a few months back and has now recovered back to where it was before.

How many times have we seen this here? My traffic has dropped and then recovered at the next "update" so many times that I just don't worry anymore.

I am sure that everyone that has experienced a drop will see the traffic come back...

I also get affected heavily by advertising on Google searches, I rank in the top 3 for a few phrases and if there are no adverts on the search I get reasonable traffic; however if the advertisers are active and the top 3 spots taken up by adverts I see different phrases dropping significantly for traffic.

However as some are reporting that their rankings are still in the same place that would indicate that people are just not searching online to find your keywords - although make sure that you are logged out of google before you check your ranking.

Don't Panic - This roller coaster does go up as well as down!

That's interesting about being affected by advertisers, I never thought to look at that.

21. dhimanreena profile image65
    dhimanreenaposted 9 years ago

Well you don't need to worry as many times, due to reason known to hub pages only, you witness a change in your traffic. Eventually, it will take time but will surely increase.

22. Aline Louis profile image58
    Aline Louisposted 9 years ago

Totally agree with Susana.

23. ilikegames profile image64
    ilikegamesposted 9 years ago

A few drops across the board but I'm not seeing anything major.

24. Brite-Ideas profile image95
    Brite-Ideasposted 9 years ago

One reason that I believe there's been a shuffle too by google is that sites I normally see sitting with me on the first page (that I'm currently no longer on at the moment!) have also been shuffled out of their spots (Country Music Sites btw)

There was a "shuffle" around August 8th.

25. Brite-Ideas profile image95
    Brite-Ideasposted 9 years ago

Using humor to get through this I told my youngest son to tell all his friends that all the best content on Google is on the second page now

1. neosurk profile image88
      neosurkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree --- with both humor and the second page fact big_smile

26. LindaSmith1 profile image61

What kills me is that when I search for something, the first page is nothing but Pinterest.

Perhaps that supports Paul E's idea that a large image at the top of the article is a good thing and Google likes big images.

What kills me is that Pinterest has extracted the ingredient list from the recipes I posted there, so there is no real reason for people to come to my hub for the recipe.

If that particular pin isn't bringing you traffic, ask the pinner to delete the content of the pin. If he doesn't respond or doesn't want to remove the description, file a DMCA notice and send it to copyright @ pinterest  dot com; and pinterest will take care of it. They respond pretty quickly, I had mine deleted within hours!

The ingredient list is on my pin! I guess this is a new feature from Pinterest to extract recipe data; it's like a grocery shopping list with ingredients laid out as produce, oils, spices etc... 

@Examiner - this pin was bringing it the most traffic, however traffic has died off over the last month or two, perhaps with the addition of this new feature. I will give it another month, and if traffic is still dead, I will delete all of the recipe pins.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Solaras:  Where did you ever read that?  From what I understand, Google wants to have as little as possible blocking top of the page adsense advertisers and therefore may like big photos (which I have never heard) but I doubt they want them at the top of the page.  Also, Google wants to see content above the fold...a large photo blocks that.

1. relache profile image73

In his June 30th blog post, Paul E said, "I strongly recommend laying out Hubs with the mobile reader in mind. The best practice for this is to use all full width capsules."

relache:  I know what he said, but Google has stated that it wants to see content above the fold.  How do you do this if photos fill up the entire above the fold space?  I'd really like to know, because I have wrestled with this since Paul first made that comment, and I think my massive drop in views may be attributed to the fact that I followed that advice because I changed every single hub to meet Paul's guidelines.  It was the only really huge change I made in the recent past, which is why I am wondering if this was my problem.  I have changed all of it back again to the way it was, along with other updates, but my numbers have not recovered.  It is almost a month now since this happened.  I know I have taken hits before, but this time it was the worst because I finally was doing well with views, cpms and income.  This month I will not make payout save for a miracle.

Google does like to see content, as you said, but images are also content. Google can see that those are pictures, they can read the caption, the texts around it and present it in their image search.

One of my lens used to bring most of the traffic through image search only. The source was images.google.com instead of Google.com. What I want to mean is that full width image at the top *might* not be your problem.

What Google does not want to see at the top are tons of ads, Javascript (and probably, iframes too) which are hiccups in the way for their spider.

If Google doesn't want to see ads at the top, why do they put theirs in that position?

It's Google, that's why! They want to make money off of their search results. PS. it's not a website or a web content, per se. cool

2. relache profile image73

You do it by not filling up the entire space above the fold with an image.

relache:  I took a quick look at a few of your articles and noticed that you are only using full width images further down the page, and even then are not always using them.  So apparently you didn't take the advice you are sharing here.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
              Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think she's only showing you what Paul Edmondson said.

Jayne Lanser:  Perhaps, but it appeared to me that she was suggesting I should be following Paul's advice (which, by the way, I was already aware of).  However, why would she share that link if she herself is not doing what he suggests?  I was just making a point.

She's just suggesting, in answer to you, where Solaris might have read that Paul Edmondson recommends full-width images at the start of a hub.
                  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/124124? … ost2641116

Jayne Lancer:  OK.  Point taken.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87

Which is unnecessary advice, because HubPages makes all capsules full width automatically when someone views it on mobile anyway.

All you have to do is be aware that half-width capsules expand above their related capsule, not below.   So you have to consider whether that will look odd.

Marisa Wright:  Thank you.  What you say here about Paul's SEO expertise below and what you said here make my point.  If I am doing something that is the result of somebody else's advice that is working well, then I might share that information.  However, if I am not following that advice myself and therefore do not know whether it will work or not, why in the world would I pass it on?   I did not ask whether Paul or anybody else made statements about this issue because I had already seen what he said.  In my mind, and in my case, the changes I made due to his guidelines appears to be something that may have damaged my rankings.  This may be because I did something wrong with my images, but all I know is that  before I made that change, my numbers were doing just fine.  Bottom line:  if you are doing something yourself that seems to be working, I'm happy for you to share it with me.  If not, don't waste my time with it.

2. Solaras profile image95

I can't find it now, but in one of the Squidoo forums he said that large, high quality images were as good or better than content at the top of the hub.

It seems counter-intuitive, but the trend is for a large "hero" image in design, so maybe there was a shift at Google too.

Paul Edmondson said this, although not on a Squidoo forum:

"My belief is images are content.  So a great image above the fold is as good, or better than text.  It's not a one size fits all rule, but generally it's a good idea.

If you're thinking about this purely from a rule perspective or what's better for search engines, I'd suggest thinking about it a bit differently.  What is the best strategy to engage a user that is most likely passing by quickly?

Images are a great way to get someone's attention.  I can just see it now.  Each hub with a leading picture of a cute cat with an embedded text quote:)"

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/123705? … ost2620273

Thanks for finding that Jayne!  I thought everything had been a Squidoo forum for the last month. lol

This is an excellent article about placing things "above the fold"
                http://moz.com/blog/life-above-and-beyond-the-fold

Also, I do not understand the point of using wide images if they come up wide in mobile devices anyhow.  By keeping them on the right , wouldn't you still be covering all the bases?

Also, I think load time is very important.  It takes longer for a large image to load than a small one, and people want info fast these days.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

It's important to remember that Paul is not an SEO guru, his IT expertise is in other fields.

Here is a good discussion about sliders by Yoast, who is an SEO guru. You'll notice he mentions that they "push the content down", which is equally applicable to a static image.   
                https://yoast.com/opinion-on-sliders/

"Hero shots" are widely used on websites now but they are often clickable - they're a carrot to take you straight to a featured product or featured content.  Besides, there will usually be a navigation bar above the image, so readers immediately know there's a lot of interesting content to browse through.  That's not the case on HubPages - the reader has to scroll down. 

I was chatting to one SEO consultant the other day, and he is frustrated at the way designers are going for hero shots everywhere.  He sees it as the same as when Flash became popular - graphic designers adored it, even after it was discovered that Google's robots couldn't read Flash so it was suicide for SEO!   On his sites, he always makes sure there is some text above the hero shot - and he's found that improves Google rank noticeably.

Couldn't agree more!

I'm still trying to figure why Paul Edmondson persists with this advice.

2. gitachud profile image67
            gitachudposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What kind of traffic do you get at this time of the year for your main keywords. Using Google trends, the RV keywords tend to have fewer searches between August and December. Year on year, the number of searches is trending downwards.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11789839_f1024.jpg

I do not only write about RVs, and it has taken a very long time for my views to "age" and be noticed, so I cannot tell you how last year was because this is the first year where I have seen some success.  Unfortunately, ALL of my topics took a hit, so I cannot blame the problem just on the fact that summer has ended.

gitachaud:

That search term is not one you would normally use if searching.  There are tons of others such as fifth wheel, camper, motor home, coach, etc.  You cannot judge the Google trends thing with just the term "rv trailer", but it was nice of you to check that out.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image60
          The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Solaras,
          If they are your Hubs/photos, just go to Pinterest and delete them.

2. Silva Hayes profile image75
      Silva Hayesposted 9 years ago

I was getting a payout every month, then beginning in August and continuing into September, my earnings were cut in half.  Concerned.

Yes, my pageviews remain the same, however my payout has been cut in half for roughly the same period of time.  Very discouraging....

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

Uh-oh... My views yesterday were significantly lower than my views on the previous Saturday. The way things have been going around here lately, I'm starting to get nervous.

4. rebekahELLE profile image87
      rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

TT, didn't you comment at one point recently that you had some unnatural links coming to some of your pages?  Was that you or another hubber?

I read the most recent whiteboard Friday on the moz blog and Rand Fishkin details what he has observed with Google's recent activity. 
      We're seeing Google continue to move beyond just reading pages, instead attempting to truly understand what they're about. The engine is drawing connections between concepts and brand names, and it's affecting SERPs
      I don't know the answer to your problem, but the link is worth reading and it's even better to watch the video.  It's about how G is connecting keyword relevance to websites through more than just domain names.  It talks about branding, relevance, associations.  Quality links still make a difference.  I hope things can start to look up for you soon.

rebekahELLE

I will take a look in a bit, but right now I am exhausted.  I just spent most of this past week reviewing every single link...3600 of them...and sorting out the good from the bad so that I could use the Google Disavow Tool to unlink from them.  Just now got all of it finished and submitted.  I found three horribly malicious links among them, but it could be a month or more before Google can do their part, so if those links were the problem, I have a ways to go yet.

The truth is that this could be so many things that it boggles the mind.  I have tried my best, and continue to try, to update for keywords, formatting, titles, content, images and bad links.  You would think something there would help...but who knows.

The problem, as we all know, is that we really have no control over what Google does.  I am not the only person who is having issues right now, so perhaps the article you linked to may expose the problem.  All I know is that I am very, very tired right now.  This has been a physical and mental killer.

5. neosurk profile image88
      neosurkposted 9 years ago

Does anyone have a good news update? Mine may be too soon, but yesterday and even today's trend implies it is getting slightly better. I even have a red triangle in a hub now. How I missed them!

1. Brite-Ideas profile image95
        Brite-Ideasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

yes, I'll post a hint of good news (but it's just a hint) - two of my high traffic pages have found their way back to the bottom of the first page on google for their best search term keywords - when I first entered freak-out mode those pages had been 'disappeared' from search, then to the 3rd page, then to the 2nd, now at the bottom of the first - BUT I'm not seeing anything for all the related searches I used to get for those, so that still has to happen. Also, I still have a ton of pages yet to recover, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

OMG! Guess what? Two of my hubs have also re-appeared on the first page for the keywords I was targeting. They were in fourth or fifth page during my freakout phase. I see light at the end of the tunnel smile

1. Brite-Ideas profile image95
            Brite-Ideasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

that's good news for sure, for all of us! my traffic is slowly, quite slowly, trending upward again - perhaps we're heading out of this? Sure hope so!

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61

But what about personal photos, images of scenery etc that have nothing to do with a specific product such as those that look like a regular image , but then you see source Amazon which is clickable and takes you to page for that product.  Both types are being used for photo about first text box.

That's what I'm saying.  Even Paul says it's not a "one size fits all".   

When most readers arrive at a Hub, they're looking for an answer to their search query.  If the photo relates directly to that search query, there's a better chance he will scroll down to read the rest.   If it's a personal photo, he's more likely to think "I don't want a personal story, I want an answer!" and click away before checking the rest of the Hub. 

The chances of him clicking through to Amazon are small, IMO, because the link to Amazon in the Source box is not prominent.  If clicking on the photo led to Amazon, then we'd be in business.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Visits are down six percent, while impressions and clicks are up.

8. Writer Fox profile image33
      Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

My traffic is up a little, just by a few hundred more per day.

9. LindaSmith1 profile image61

relache: You lost me on that one.  If we put an image at the top, we have no control over the size which is huge.  The only option is to move it to the right of out text boxes so that it will be a smaller size.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)