Divorcing HubPages

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (50 posts)
  1. profile image0
    anndangoposted 9 years ago

Ugh, I am so close to the $50, I'll wait until I get paid, and then I'm outta here. Yay! Yep I'm divorcing HubPages. Not interested in writing here, better things to do. Too much work, it's not worth it, waste of time.
    Ciao.

1. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

It surprises me that rational, intelligent adults are sometimes unaware that so-called "rants' (complaints, grievances, purging, etc) are acceptable and beneficial to one's physical & mental well-being.  We have the right to voice opinions, share our feelings and express our thoughts, regardless of content and context. There are times and circumstances when "unloading" is a welcome privilege.
      It never ceases to amuse me that individuals are judgmental in these cases but surely not when they have issues of their own they choose to expound upon.  Not much bodes well with some unless and until, IT HAPPENS TO THEM.  Suddenly, it then becomes OK to rant.  We can see this as a sad but evident double standard.  This is easily put aside.
      I am sorry to learn of your disillusionment which leads you to prefer to leave this site.  I am always a bit sad to lose good writers. 
      However, there have been numerous hubbers who have made this same decision and I do try to understand.  I don't however forbid you the right to make your exit statement.
      I sincerely wish you luck and success in your future endeavors, where ever they may take you.  Peace, Paula

2. Ilonagarden profile image92
      Ilonagardenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I thought this was an informative rant, if only for the way it points up how many people are under the impression that online business, or any money producing work at all, is an effortless endeavor.

I have found that everything I've done online required a great deal of effort and time. That was true of the years when everything I wrote and created was free and after I began to monetize the pages that represented hours and hours of hard work.

Excellence is worth aiming for and it will take time and hard work.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000-nothing worthwhile is easy.  To accomplish worthwhile goals take effort, organizing, and HARD WORK!  The rewards will increase over time, believe me.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

When you leave, don't delete your Hubs - they will go on earning long after you've gone, and the money will go on being paid into your Paypal account.  It may be only a few dollars but why miss out on that?

Following other Hubbers, reading Hubs, commenting, liking and being active on the forums are all fun, but they're all totally irrelevant to making money.   So you can easily stop doing all those things, and your existing Hubs will continue to earn regardless.

4. HomeArtist1 profile image57
      HomeArtist1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Apparently you didn't gear your work toward your income objectives. If you were writing here to earn commissions, you need to re-evaluate your hubs, keywords, products offered, etc.

Your work is engaging, well written and very nicely formatted but it is fodder for magazines and personal blogs, not earning money per se. I'm sure your hubs are much appreciated as being part of valued, text rich content and pertinent/personal images.

What kind of traffic are you looking for? Where do you want to realize most of your income?

Decide how you want to earn and write in *that* direction and for *that* audience and offer appropriate products.

You may want to consider your own blog if you're not happy with sharing revenue via the Ad Program, as I didn't see any product modules on the hubs I visited and don't see another way of earning commissions.

Best wishes on your new venture.   .

5. Dale Hyde profile image79
      Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

When I started here in January of 2013, I was gung ho and wrote a lot.  I was up to 150 plus hubs.  I am at a third of that now.  The first year was great, earnings were great, payouts were monthly.  Then change happened.  Whatever you want to blame it on, Google or HubPages, the fact of the matter is changes took place that killed many of my views and much of my earnings.

I am down to approximately 50 hubs now after having numerous ones unfeatured (moved these to my blog).

I still earn off of what I have left, however payout is stretching out to three months now, and may well even go to four months.

I stopped publishing for almost a year, and popped in and published two hubs.  One was featured and one was denied the honor.  This put the brakes back on my new material here.  I now focus on my blog.

That being said, I will not leave HubPages, as it may rebound at some point.  What I lack it all of the additional time needed to continually tweak and make changes to hubs that were supposed to not require this amount of continual work when I first became a member here.  So what I have sits, and occasionally I will get in the mood and find the time to do a little tweaking here and there.

My main point here is follow the advice of others, or at least consider it, and leave what you have here and leave your account open.  Take a hiatus and put your efforts elsewhere for a period of time and let what you have here earn a few dollars here and there.  Leave the door open. smile

6. redmondunmore profile image58
      redmondunmoreposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I will see how it goes.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

But you felt the need to leave only after having a little rant? I hope that made you fell better. Good luck with your future endeavours.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Like any other expression of opinion, rants vary in their value.

This one lacks any real information of value to the audience it is being delivered to. So why should I applaud?

That is the subtext of my response which you apparently either missed, or maybe you feel OP gets to have a little vent but no one else has that same right/opportunity (?)

4. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image83
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 9 years ago

Please reconsider the decision. You may earn even if you don't write. But in the beginning, it is a very hard work to reach that level. Ilonagarden is right. The writing endeavors may extend for weeks, months and years. It is not an easy job to get noticed among billion of pages online.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I did pretty much the same thing a couple of years ago by deleting most of my hubs and using them elsewhere. Did I make a mistake, probably so.  I have been here for 3 years and started new hubs recently to add to those that were left here.  The one thing that those who do well with sales, that do well with earnings altogether, have told me: Don't delete, let them season and keep on writing. Jumping to 3 years later: My traffic isn't anything to brag about for sure. However, I have had at least one sale a month since holiday season of last year.  My earnings, again nothing to brag about, but they have tripled even without sales. I reached my first payout only recently.  However, if I keep adding to my HP account, my earnings will go up for sure.  Hopefully, I will see 2 payouts a year which is better than no payout a year.  I have a hub that is 3 years old and have finally made a big sale from it.   I also used other, flavor of the week, sites and haven't earned anything. Why? You don't get paid by them. You get paid directly by Amazon and/or Google Adsense which has a $100 minimum payout.   Am I a seasoned writer!  I have written for HP, as well as other platforms for 3 years at least, I have written articles for clients and did well until the work requests turned into more tech type orders which I know nothing about, so that income is gone.  The one thing I have learned, jumping from platform to platform does not help.  For some,it works when they spread their work around. Do I get aggravated here? Of course, I do.  But regardless of where one writes, we need to unlearn old ways of SEO, etc and learn new ones as Google changes what it likes and dislikes from minute to minute.  So, I guess I will continue plogging along here.

6. profile image0
    anndangoposted 9 years ago

Onto bigger and better things in the writing world smile My time and effort is better focused elsewhere with big $ contracts for major magazines, etc. I can get bored easily and simply lost interest here.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Like I said, you don't have to be active on HubPages to earn income.  Just leave those Hubs published and concentrate on other things.  I've known several Hubbers ignore their accounts for a year or more and see earnings that continue to increase.  I've been here over six years, but three-quarters of my  Hubs were written more than two years ago.  I'm active on the forums because it's my place to take a break when I'm online, that's all.

1. profile image0
        anndangoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I could leave them, but then they get unfeatured or whatever and you have to fiddle a bit with them. The community is mostly friendly but time for me to move along little doggie.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
          Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Marisa. And even if some do get unfeatured, what does it matter? You can leave them unfeatured if you don't want to be active on HubPages, anyway.

I just read 'How to Sneeze Like a Girl' and enjoyed it very much. I hope to read more of your hubs now I've discovered you, so it would be a great shame if you deleted them!

1. profile image0

Aw, thank you. I probably be here for another 6 weeks yet before I reach that $50!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

There's no "whatever".   Yes, there's a risk they may get unfeatured, but they don't need much of a heartbeat to stay featured.  And anyway, why do you care, unless you have somewhere else to use them?

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you are determined to leave, you can give me your account and hubs. I will water and nurture them. big_smile

1. profile image0

Ha! Thanks for the offer!

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
          paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am here to serve. big_smile

7. misterhollywood profile image91
    misterhollywoodposted 9 years ago

Why not write for magazines and for Hubpages? Kind of nice to have diversity with income. In fact, it might be symbiotic.

1. profile image0

My professional writing is more rewarding in many ways. I'm just tired of HubPages, sorry to say.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

With magazines, you can earn payments of a thousand dollars for the equivalent of a Hub that will never earn that much money here in a decade, and you don't have to come up with the pictures either.

The fact that this person has been writing here says a lot about their actual magazine writing skills, or what may be a genuine lack thereof.

1. profile image0

Well you are right about one thing. Print media does pay quite handsomely compared to HubPages.

8. firstday profile image59
    firstdayposted 9 years ago

The best of luck to you.  It has been nice to meet you.

1. profile image0

I'll be here for a bit yet. I need two more dollars which will probably take me 6 more weeks!

9. firstday profile image59

Yes, I read the sneeze hub too.  LOL

10. firstday profile image59

My favorite part of your profile is the fact you gave yourself a score of 100.  LOL

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha! I didn't notice that until you mentioned it; I thought it was the actual score. Funny stuff.

1. profile image0

Just me being cheeky.

11. word55 profile image70
    word55posted 9 years ago

You shouldn't give up just yet. Let me tell you, I can have a nice score, then I publish a hub, it gets featured then my score drops and I'm like, I shouldn't have published a hub. Duh, my score just dropped. I'm sure some hubbers don't care if you leave. They feel there's more opportunity for them, anyway. You should hang in here like many of us. I'm sure you'll make it to 100 if you have a little more patience and resilience because your writing is pretty exceptional. Divorcing Hub Pages? Are you kidding? You'll be the sore loser. So, hang in here like I am. It doesn't matter to me where my score goes. I have a few friends here and that matters more. We benefit from each others' info that we share so hang in for the long haul.

Don't leave HubPages, you are such an excellent writer with enormous ability.  Yes, write for various media but keep your wonderful hubs!

2. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
      sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years agoin reply to this

What a fantastic advice!  You keep the real spirit of HP.  Your words are like a tonic. I hope it will help many who are thinking of leaving this nice community of global writers. Thanks for your kind words.

12. profile image0
    debW07posted 9 years ago

@anndango, After seeing this forum thread I went over and read some of your articles, and I must say that I'm sorry to see you leave. You are a very good writer. Your hubs about "The Writing Life" are very helpful and you deserve that 100 that's in your profile pic! I wish you all the best and please come back in the future and let us know where we can read more of your work.

13. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
    LeslieAdrienneposted 9 years ago

Because writing is so personal, you should only write what and where you feel comfortable... I am sure, you will do well in your next endeavor - God Bless You...

1. profile image0

Thank you. HubPages was an experiment to see what this online stuff was all about. Lots of work, little reward in the monetary sense and in personal satisfaction. Interacting is another component of being successful here and I don't have the time to read or the interest in reading a lot of hubs. Nor do I want to engage in forums. I don't want to read snark. I know a lot like it here, but it's time for this gal to move along. I wish you all the best, too!

Anndango, you're wrong.  Interacting here is NOT, repeat NOT a component of being successful here.  That's what I'm trying to tell you.

Richard Bivins proved that recently.  He started a new account and because it's a second account, he didn't use it to interact with other Hubbers AT ALL.  No reading, commenting, following, forum posting, nothing.  It is performing far better than his first account, even though his first account is a few years old!    He is now starting to interact using that account to see if that makes any difference.

So you see, if you were planning to spend the next few weeks interacting furiously to earn your last $2, you are wasting your time because that's not what earns income.  You make money when 90% of your readers come from OUTSIDE HubPages.

If you want to give your earnings a kick along rather than just waiting for them to arrive, you'll get far more benefit by interacting OUTSIDE HubPages than INSIDE.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000!

2. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
          sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Can you please share some tips for OUTSIDE engagements?

That's a big subject.  I wrote a Hub about how to get readers, it's on the slider on my profile.

3. profile image0

That's the thing. I can't be bothered to interact outside HubPages either, LOL. Zero interest.
          SEO? Hate it. HubPages is a great place for a lot of people. I've realized it's just not what I'm looking for or interested in anymore. There are a lot of people who are passionate about this site which is wonderful. No passion for me though.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
            Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, a basic understanding of search engine optimization is usually needed to get visitors from search engines to your Hubs.  Without visitors from search engines, your Hubs will eventually become unpublished here.  You're right that this type of writing isn't for everyone.  Life is too short not to find something you really enjoy.  Good luck.

1. profile image0

Thank you! Good luck with everything too!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Yes, but I'm not saying you HAVE to interact outside, either.  Just that if you want to give your earnings a boost, that would help.  But just going away and leaving your Hubs to sit will eventually bring in the pennies.

2. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have left situations that are bad for me or just not for me, and I've never regretted it. It's the kind of thing we just have to do, and we know when that time comes.

I also am not a fan of the forums nor of snark. Unfortunately, snark became popular in the 90s and there are still dinosaurs stomping around using it like it's still cool, though it never really was anyway. All it is is passive aggressive and cruel behavior masquerading as clever. As for SEO, I'm not that fond of it, but I dabble in it; but I can understand someone not wanting to do it at all; I personally would rather just write and share.

So, I'm saying I understand your decision. If you were to stay, I'd wish you all the success in the world. And I wish you all the success in the world with what you will being doing, either way.

1. profile image0

Thanks! All the best to you too.

Re: SEO. I am not a slave to how or what Google and cohorts think I should be writing, LOL.

14. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years ago

Winners never quit! Quitters never win!!  Don't lose confidence. You will earn everything you wished like traffic and money. Just keep on writing. You are on the way to your first earning of $50.  You see, patience and hard work pay here. If you write and engage well here, I am hopeful that you can reach $ 500 within one year. ( I mean exactly within one year from today). I make this prediction and observation from my own experience. Pls check some of my hubs on HUBS, may be it will give you some confidence. God bless you!

You're not reading the OP's post correctly.  She has already found more profitable writing jobs elsewhere.   

In view of that, it would be foolish for her to continue writing on HubPages.  All I'm saying is that she doesn't need to remove her existing content from HubPages because it will go on earning all on its own, even if she's not active on HP.

15. word55 profile image70
    word55posted 9 years ago

In the meantime, I think you should follow me for I follow you until the divorce is final. Read me like I read you to be sure you are solid not vinyll.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)