How long would you say a hub from start to finish should take?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (41 posts)
  1. tlcs profile image62
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

Hi Hubbers,
    I am curious as to how long you would spend from start to finish on any particular hub, do you set yourself an amount of time to spend on it? Would you spend longer than one day on one hub?
    tlcs is curious!

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

My earlier Hubs, I could take many hours on; I'd estimate, 6-8 hours on some of them; that includes outlining them, taking pictures, etc. Strangely, those Hubs get little traffic. I started working more on keyword phrases, seems to be more fruitful.

I'd say a Hub that requires extensive research could take as long as 4 hours to complete.

1. Billie Kelpin profile image85
        Billie Kelpinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Very helpful, Nate

2. Billie Kelpin profile image85
        Billie Kelpinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Could you explain how you work on keyword phrases a little more -  perhaps a hub on it ?

1. NateB11 profile image88
          NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Billie, no problem. Sorry, I didn't notice this reply until just now. I do have a Hub on keyword phrases in my slider on my profile. It explains essentially what I've been doing with keywords phrases, what's worked and what I'm trying out. The gist is this: I used Wordtracker's keyword tool when it was being offered for free for awhile; it's the best source I've used for keyword phrases, but you have to pay for it. Also have used keyword planner. I put in a keyword or keyword phrase and see what has pretty good search volume--at least several hundred searches a month, but better in the thousands. Also, look at other phrases offered by the tool. Then check competition by Googling the keyword phrase--if big guys are on top of the results page, probably a no-go. Wordtracker, by the way, gives you the competition right in their tool, called the KEI.

Other than that, I use Google auto search, the drop down that appears when you type into the search engine, and also the suggestions at the bottom of results pages on Google.

In addition I test things out on blogging platforms like Blogger and used to use Bubblews. Lately I've found Milk the Blog is good for this. I'll write a short piece and see how it does. If it does well, I'll write a longer and better piece and publish it where it will do better in terms of earnings.

Finally, I use stats from Google Analytics and stats my webhost provides for my blogs. In GA--Acquisition--keywords--organic. gives you what keywords people used to get to your article; you can use those variations to write a new article with a different angle. Also Webmaster Tools can help with this if you go to Search Traffic and it will show you keyword phrases people use that got them to your articles.

I found with Wordtracker, if you use a vague keyword phrase you can find some other actually good keyword phrases.

3. tlcs profile image62
        tlcsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this.

2. oceansnsunsets profile image85
      oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

For me, it depends on what I am writing about.  I kind of let the hub drive that endeavor really.  For instance, I set out to write a hub two days ago, and I have not finished it.  It is taking longer than normal for me, and I have been working inbetween also, but I would have liked it to be done. 

Really, with editing over time, if you need to go back and tweak or do anything, I have decided it saves more time to take more time up front, and get it how it should be, over hurrying.  The hurrying can often mean you will have to revisit anyway, which sometimes could have been prevented.

3. Pollyanna Jones profile image95
      Pollyanna Jonesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I guess it entirely depends on the subject, and the field that you are covering. I write about things that take a bit of researching, and I also arrange to meet people to interview them for some articles, as well as take a lot of my own photos.

I'll tend to take lots of photos wherever I go, with the thoughts of writing a Hub about them at some point in the future!

When I'm ready to get stuck in with an article, I allow myself a week to write it up and get it published. This allows for on average 1 hour an evening, so besides the photos and field trips, a Hub for me takes about 6 or 7 hours to write. If I have a topic that is more easy for me to write about, I can chuck it out in about 4 hours.

I don't want to put pressure on myself, and I write about articles I like to write about; I don't tend to write Hubs based on the latest hot potato, but I do try to keep them interesting. If I'm lucky I can get one that gets a lot of views!

I'll only publish when I feel it is right, and even then, I may go back to it to tweak it from time to time.

4. lisavanvorst profile image63
      lisavanvorstposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes it will come to me at night, when I awake in the morning or even at work. When this happens  I usually write it down first and then put the pictures in. I would say an hour. Other times I start a hub but then I am not happy with it and so I save it and go back the next day to finish it.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

It all depends on amount of research needs to be done, taking notes,putting hub together.  It could take 1 hour to several days or longer depending on your own schedule, and how many interruptions you get.  If you are including products, it takes time to select them.  If you are doing Keyword searching, you need time for that.

If the HP site is acting up, it has taken me several hours to do what I should have been able to do in 15 minutes, which is to get hub posted on HP, products added, and published.

3. tlcs profile image62
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

I set myself a challenge of four hours per day. Sometimes I can do one hub and sometime two. I don't think I would spend any longer than one day on any particular hub. Mind you I touch type so that probably explains why I am able to achieve this. Thanks LindaSmith1, I think I'm doing ok.

4. CuAllaidh profile image80
    CuAllaidhposted 9 years ago

It depends, my medieval games articles are short and based on two books I am in the process of writing thus the research is already done, I just need to change some wording to make it work better as a stand alone article, those only take half an hour or so, others take longer, my latest one on the medieval dancing plague took me a few hours to write because I had to do some additional research rather than just rely on my memory, others I have taken weeks to write.

5. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

Mine can take anywhere from 1 to 12 hours.  I'd say the average is probably about three and a half hours per hub actual desk time.  I rarely write a hub in one sitting though, and there is time spent simply thinking about what I am going to do and planning the strategy, doing the research, taking the photos, etc.

1. tlcs profile image62

Your response is in line with how I work. I leave my desk when the hub is finished, from start to end including pictures, videos etc

6. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 9 years ago

Some of my longer hubs take approximately 3-4 hours spread over a number of days.By long I mean up to around 3000 words. Shorter ones on a pro rata basis. Subject matter tends to dictate the length and time!
    However long it takes I hope the end result is worth the blood, sweat and tears!

7. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

I don't set a schedule for any of the writing I do beyond getting things done before their deadlines for clients and contests. That doesn't involve setting a specific amount of time aside for each piece, it involves working until the piece is done, no matter how long it takes and giving realistic and generous time frames in estimates.

As far as hubs go, they each take exactly as long as they take.  How much time that may be varies wildly. 

The quickest hub I wrote was my money rose hub.  It was written for a contest with a time limit back on Squidoo.  I executed the craft project while photographing each step, edited the photos in PhotoShop, and wrote the tutorial all within half an hour.  That is my top speed for a hub or hub-like piece.  That was the one and only one time I made a piece for a content farm that quickly.

I couldn't say what my slowest writing speed is because many of the pieces I write for sites like HubPages come together a sentence or two at a time between writing other things.  Some pieces might take months to come together and the actual writing time for each has to be hours at least.

On average, I'd say my hubs take anywhere from forty-five minutes to 24 hours to write, depending on the topic and the individual piece.  That is, if only the actual time spent working on them (including research, image creation or acquisition, writing, and assembly time) is counted.

8. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

There's really no "ballpark" figure. I've done hubs that came together very quickly - I banged them out in just an hour or two. Others were in progress for a number of days before I was finally satisfied enough to press the "publish" button.

I still have one never-published Hub that actually dates all the way back to 2012! Every once in a while I pull it up, work on a few bits and pieces, and then put it back again cuz it never feels quite "right" to me. After all this time I guess I really should get off the fence and either publish it or can it!

9. Availiasvision profile image81
    Availiasvisionposted 9 years ago

My average is about 3-5 hrs.  It depends on how many pictures I need to find and how much research I have to do. Sometime I go out and shoot my own photos, which can add hours to the process.  Two years ago, before Hubpages wanted tons of capsules and a minimum word target, I think people could get away with doing one in one or two hours.  Now, if you want it to rank well, you have to add in tons of pictures, call outs, videos, and amazon capsules.

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

I don't have the time I used to have to write, but I don't think there's a set time frame that works for everyone.  We all have different lifestyles, work schedules, etc.  I think it's reasonable to put together a quality hub in 4-6 hours, but depending on the topic it could require more time especially since we want our hubs to have some meat on them.  HP gives us such a great platform to publish.  Hopefully in the new year, I'll have more time to write, albeit, it's always in fragments of time.  I usually write it out longhand first and edit it, then go to the computer and write/publish.  It seems to work better for me to do it this way.

11. RanaKm profile image42
    RanaKmposted 9 years ago

Whatt!! 4-6 hours?? It's a lot! Who does that? Mine at max take 1 hour if not 30 mins - the ones wiith 1000+ words take at max an hour n 15 mins in total n smth like that.. I dunno it also depends on how fast you're thinking and how many ideas are already prepared + ur typin speed

12. My Bell profile image94
    My Bellposted 9 years ago

I'm with you, Rebekah. Mine take about 4-6 hours too because I'm meticulous with my research and photos. It's a side effect of my journalism degree. Love to write though!

13. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 9 years ago

It's impossible for me to say as I don't do my research all at once. Most of my research is in books so I scan through several and that can take some time. Being interested in something ain't a quick slapdash kind of effort. It can take me down corridors that I don't include. There is so much background material to absorb, then I have to try to boil it down so it fits in an article without leaving important aspects out. I also look at similar articles on the topic that are online so that I don't create something that's already there. I try to offer people what I'd be looking for. Then finding images that are free to use and fit my mental image of the hub takes time. Then I go to youtube and get lost on all kinds of stuff including music...

14. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 9 years ago

How long should it take?  a fraction of the time it takes me!  I can spend days trying to get something out - hence, I don't have much out there.  I admire the 3-4 hour responses (and under?) Wow! Impressive.  I wish I could do that smile

15. mdgardner profile image91
    mdgardnerposted 9 years ago

I would say on average about 3 hours stretched out over several weeks. I don't have the time to do an entire article in one setting.

16. vocalcoach profile image95
    vocalcoachposted 9 years ago

I depend on a combination of inspiration plus motivation when I create a hub. Unless I am truly inspired, I do not write.  Having said this, I would guess I work about 3-6 hours total, but even this varies.  Sometimes, my muse really gets me going and I can knock out the content in an hour or so.  But that's just the content.

I spend a fair amount of time selecting relevant images.  Adding a 'floating' hub for additional information takes extra time. Then there are the extras like a poll, video or map (or all three).

Editing is a must so I put as much time as needed for this. I continuously check the lay-out to be sure it all flows. (Something I failed to do 6 years ago.smile

Now, poetry is a different story.  I can whip out a completed hub including images, videos and a short story to accompany  my poem in 15-20 minutes.

Unfortunately, poems bring in less traffic, at least from where I sit.
    Thanks for this topic.

1. tlcs profile image62

Yes I think your right the content can be quite quick however the editing and additions such as video's, picture do take time to find. Poetry is something I haven't attempted to date.

17. profile image0
    ShirleyJCJohnsonposted 9 years ago

A lot of times, like Pllyanna Jones stated, it depends on your subject.  I will research for a day, sometimes two, and then can spend up to eight hours getting it set in a hub for publication.

18. tlcs profile image62
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

It looks like that on average so far I am doing ok. Researching seems to be where most of the time is spent looking at the answer from all of you. Very useful and helpful thank you, please keep coming with your views.

19. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

It has always taken me the same amount of time as it takes me to unravel a ball of string....

Not sure if that helps - but every ball of string I have had is of different thicknesses and lengths and some I have to keep coming back to and unraveling a little more each month..

1. tlcs profile image62

Very good! I like that explanation!

20. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

On average 8 hours for a 1700-3000 word article including finding photos and videos I like, proofing, walking away from it...sneaking back up on it.

1. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My hubs can take several days especially if I am writing and creating something for a wet felting tutorial.  I take the photos as I go through the process.   Editing the images can take a while, as does uploading the images and only then can I actually write the tutorial.

21. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 9 years ago

I spent weeks on one of my hubs. It was about decorating blown eggs in several different ways, and I had to create and photograph the eggs before I could write the hub. The photos were the hardest part. Writing the actual hub and putting it together probably didn't take much more than an hour.

1. tlcs profile image62

Wow, that's impressive!

22. evelynsaenz1 profile image75
    evelynsaenz1posted 9 years ago

My hubs started as Squidoo lenses. I started 7 years ago and am still refining them.

23. Beaddoodler profile image67
    Beaddoodlerposted 9 years ago

I'm not a prolific writer, but when I write a hub I start with a rough draft, spend time researching and collecting links etc.  I usually work 30 minutes at a time as my eyes won't look at a computer screen any longer than that.  Some of mine take me a week to collect all the data and put it in a hub.  Others I can do in a couple of hours.

24. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 9 years ago

When I was new here, I tried to write a hub a day.  I was trying to get established.  After 100 hubs I slowed down to about a hub a week.  Working part time and working on my third book, I've found that's about how long it takes me to write, research, let it sit, re-read and edit a hub.

1. tlcs profile image62

OK, so roughly how long did it take you to write 100 hubs and are you making an income from them yet?

25. Dressage Husband profile image66
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

It really depends on how much you know on the topic and what that is anything from a couple of hours all the way up to a week or two. The low being for Hubs like recipes etc. and the long being for creative writing or a topic on which you had to do a lot of research. In other words it was a quesrion a bit like how long is a piece of string?

1. tlcs profile image62

Yes your right, I asked the question because I thought that I was spending far to long on anyone subject that I write about, however the discussion has proved to me that I am spending around about the right amount of time on average.

26. word55 profile image70
    word55posted 9 years ago

Some hubs have taken me an hour to 3 hours and some have taken 2 and 3 days.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)