Which do you prefer for generating traffic to your Hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (46 posts)
  1. MomsTreasureChest profile image83
    MomsTreasureChestposted 10 years ago

Which sites do you personally find work best for increasing visits to your Hubs?  Google+, Pinterest, Facebook, Your Own Blog, Twitter?

1. Hamshi profile image67
      Hamshiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

1-Google
      2-Pinterest
      3-Yahoo
      4-Aol/Ask
      5-Bing

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Google.  No plus, just the google search engine. 

Pinterest shows up some as well.  I do get quite a few visits from HP and from my own subdomain.  All the others are virtually worthless for more than a day or two of visits.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Unless you are concentrating on one topic, like AgilityMach does, Facebook isn't that helpful. People (other than friends) aren't going to follow you on Facebook just because you write well - they will follow you because they're interested in your subject matter. 

I would never promote on my own blog.  That tactic used to work - but unless your blog is getting lots of traffic, how do you expect it to help drive readers?   Google counts only one or two links from one site to another - so it doesn't matter whether you link from your blog to every single Hub, you're only going to get credit for one or two backlinks.

Wrylilt has a good Hub on how to use Pinterest - basically, you need to make your own images with "teaser" text for it to really work. 

As Agilitymach says, it helps to know where your target market hangs out on the internet - then you can network, network, network and get yourself known.  The trouble is, if you don't have a target market (i.e. if you're writing about a variety of topics). then you'll have to do that for every single Hub topic you cover - and that's an awful lot of work.

1. agilitymach profile image95
        agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  smile

1. NanahoChan profile image60
          NanahoChanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

But I get my inspiration from writing about random topics everyday...

4. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I get traffic from almost every Google subdomain such as UK, India, Canada and about 12 others. Google.com is of course my biggest source followed by its subdomains, Pinterest, Bing, Ask, Aol and my own blog. I get a lot of traffic from my blog back to my recipes here.  The traffic from Facebook and Twitter is so low it's almost non existent.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think the OP was asking how you generate traffic, not where it comes from.

1. Cardisa profile image88
          Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sheesh...lol...Thanks Marisa. I don't do anything other than write and hit the publish button. The most I do is actually before I write, I research my keywords to make sure they will pull adequate traffic. 99% of my backlinks are from sites I don't know. Tweeting and FB sharing are worthless.

5. Traci Ruffner profile image60
      Traci Ruffnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was curious about this myself.  I have been posting links to my hubs on facebook, but I don't believe I am generating much traffic that way.  If there is a trick to generating traffic I would love to know.

6. That Grrl profile image72
      That Grrlposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I get Google traffic and some from each other the other you mentioned. I don't rely on those sources however. Go out side the standard boxed sources for travffic. Find the people you want to read your stuff and tell them about it. Look for forums and groups relevant to your topic and become part of those communities. Let people know you have written something they would find useful - once you build some interaction with the community so you won't be seen as a marketer/ spammer. You can also look at places to promote your content offline. Almost everyone (especially here) sticks with the common, standard stuff for grinding traffic. If you really want traffic you have to look for READERS, not traffic. Go out and find the people who will want to read your content.

7. Brie Hoffman profile image61
      Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I use all that you mentioned except I don't have my own blog.  I tried it but didn't get much traffic so I shut it down.

1. Solaras profile image94
        Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's too bad you took it down. It takes time, but my best performing article is on my blog. I ignored that blog for 8 months, but traffic grew steadily. The two top articles there out do my best Hubs.  I am trying now to use them to drive traffic here since Adsense is so miserable. They are not really appropriate for selling on Amazon.

1. Brie Hoffman profile image61
          Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What website did you use?

8. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lately, I've been getting a lot of traffic from Pinterest thanks to all of the Hubbers who have been pinning my hubs.  I'm a garden writer.  Gardening is a popular topic on Pinterest so I am very grateful to everyone who has pinned my hubs.

9. Nadine May profile image73
      Nadine Mayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I share posts from others to the buttons you have already added, but I would love a LinkedIn button added to the R side of our page. At the moment I add my own address link to LinkedIn.
      My highest no. of visits are still from Google.com

10. Maina Ndungu profile image92
      Maina Ndunguposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The best way to increase traffic to your hubs is to do good keyword research and write great hubs.
      If you must try extra hard to get traffic to your hubs, something may be wrong. I've gotten information I can't confirm that google penalises guys who spam the social media with the same same links from the same domain/sub-domain, and same same user. If you write beautiful hubs, you'll get visitors from google.etc and you won't have to mind about not getting traffic. As the saying goes; He who toils in the sun eats in the shade.

2. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Google. google.ca, google.au, google.uk, etc. Google, google, google.
    Bing and yahoo are are giving me traffic, too.

1. Dan W Miller profile image73
      Dan W Millerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

OK, so now how do you get your hubs seen on those sites? Not exactly a direct space to post them on and attach to these sites.

3. electronician profile image80
    electronicianposted 10 years ago

Apart from search traffic I get most from Stumbleupon, followed by Pinterest, then Twitter and then Facebook.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

My traffic comes mainly through Facebook and from a number of message boards/forums that I belong to dealing with movies & music (which are the two things I write Hubs about most often). The other forum members have known me for a long time and are aware of my wanna-be critic/writer status, so they throw me some pity views/shares. big_smile

I've been using Pinterest for a while but haven't seen much results from it, I guess I'm not pinning the kind of stuff that Pinteresters dig. 

Reddit is also good for an occasional quick burst of traffic but it generally doesn't last very long and if you overdo it you'll get banned, so I use it very sparingly...

5. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

For me it's definitely Pinterest and Google

6. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

I have a Facebook friend who I share my stuff with.  He sometimes comes over for a view.  Once he left a comment.  "It's a bit crap" he said.

I haven't seen him since then but I keep on sharing.

1. Solaras profile image94
      Solarasposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL

7. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

I send all my stuff to Homeland Security. For some reason they seem quite interested.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You don't need to send your stuff to Homeland Security. Just use certain keywords and they are guaranteed to check your hub out anyway.
      I wrote a hub about that...

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

According to analytics real time, I once had a visit from the white house.  Right name, right location on the map.

They stuck around for quite a while, too, but only checked 2 hubs.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
          Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Izzy really did write a Hub about that:
          http://izzym.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Ge … d-Security

So, let's have a drill concerning the outbreak of illegal immigrants spreading viruses and Trojans, resulting in deaths in the human to animal populations and the collapse of civilization as we know it.

1. Will Apse profile image88
            Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You should check out my SEO page: 'Getting into People's Goodbooks is Harder than You Think.'

2. Traci Ruffner profile image60
      Traci Ruffnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Now that was funny wink

3. Solaras profile image94
      Solarasposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL!!!!

4. The Reminder profile image75
      The Reminderposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Homeland Security hehe

8. Marchello profile image61
    Marchelloposted 10 years ago

I would like to see more search engine traffic ( google, yahoo, bing.. ) but if I need to choose from other sources of traffic I would choose some forums and Facebook.

9. dennisbruckner profile image61
    dennisbrucknerposted 10 years ago

Google is by far the best traffic source for me.  Post articles on other pages, get them to back link to your site and you create your own little traffic web that makes the internet that much better. smile

10. agilitymach profile image95
    agilitymachposted 10 years ago

Far and away, Facebook.  Then Google and the other search engines.  I also get some Pinterest and actually quite a few forums and boards that deal with my topic of interest. 

My target market is tightly knit together on Facebook.  Knowing where your target market "hangs out" on the Internet is a huge help.  Having a Facebook Fanpage with readers truly interested in reading your stuff helps.

Just look at your numbers. facebook and Twitter are pretty low and I have a big, loyal fan base, too. GOOGLE generates tons of lookers (at least for me.) And just LOOK AT the different Google sites worldwide that exist! I never knew!

Dan, I do look at my numbers. smile My FB numbers are well over 5 times my Google numbers.  But, remember, I am a niche author with people who follow me because they want to read what I have to say about the sport and dog training.  They don't just follow me to follow me.  They are active, avid readers and sharers of agility information on FB. 

My market is, as I said, tightly knit together on FB.  My personal FB page is filled with agility friends from around the world.  Everyone who does agility has hundreds of FB friends who do agility, and the community is active on FB.  We find it a great way to pass on information - including articles on the sport.

Learning where your target community lives on the internet is how you can help your hubs go viral.  It's harder to do if you write hubs on many, many topics.  I pretty much just stick to my area of expertise.

Ms. "Mach,"  - As Arte Johnson used to say on Laugh-In, "Veeery eeenteresting."  You've pointed me in the right direction by giving me some great ideas that are brewing inside me now.
          Lately I'm just "getting my feet wet" with a more serious approach to writing and becoming more "HubPages savvy. "

Our numbers are completely flip-flopped!  My large, active fb & Twitter audience is used to my stand-up comedy approach online along with only leisure social interaction and that HAS worked out nicely for me.

However, I'm branching out lately while involving myself in more cerebral matters online so that I can get all that I can from "the internet experience."
          Maybe the bottom line is that I should hang out with loyal followers who enjoy reading and writing as much as I do!
          Thanks for some great feedback! 
          ~ D.

Most Hubbers are like you.  Their numbers are heavy in Google and far less in social media.  If I relied on Google, I'd be pretty poor. smile

Good luck expanding and growing!!  I hope you get an even bigger loyal following.

11. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
    LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years ago

On a side note, I use http://www.scoop.it/.
    They post on Tumblr, Facebook, Tweeter, LinkedIn etc at the same time.

12. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 10 years ago

Google gets way more traffic than anything else, but I also get quite a bit of traffic from Pinterest on different topics, particularly some teaching and recipe hubs.

13. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

1. Google
    2. Pinterest
    3. Facebook

Though only a few hubs seem to be madly in love with readers on Pinterest, yet all of them are getting something from Google. I guess the more you write, the bigger the Google traffic becomes, even if only 1 reader at a time!

14. afahrurroji profile image60
    afahrurrojiposted 9 years ago

I always use Google+, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and sometimes using LinkedIn. But the most preferred to use Google+.

15. panasonicindia profile image57
    panasonicindiaposted 9 years ago

You can't get instant traffic.
    To increase traffic your need to optimize it as per the hub page guide line and share it on different social platform.

16. Novel Treasure profile image89
    Novel Treasureposted 9 years ago

1) google
    2) pinterest - just recently have I started to get routine notifications that my hubs are being re-pinned. it correlates to when I started using more of my own pictures rather than those off the net.
    3) various blogging communities I belong to

17. pitechindore profile image40
    pitechindoreposted 9 years ago

In my opinion Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter are the best traffic generation sources as in my view every person on this globe have a profile on this sites. So these are the options.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)