Rear Ended Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (78 posts)
  1. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 8 years ago

Glancing at several of my hubs, I have seen way too many related hubs featuring pictures of people's rear ends. One of my hubs, about an historic area of Baltimore shows 2 pictures of posteriors. The hubs are about shaving one's butt the other about cysts. Not only are the hubs totally unrelated, but I find such links to be off putting as they have nothing to do with my content. I have found these pics all over the place here.

So people ( the very few that do) look at all the pretty pictures of old buildings then fall upon a photo of somebody's pustulated behind. Am I the only one who finds this distasteful?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I find it very distasteful, Dolores. You are not alone on that.

2. rainsanmartin profile image85
      rainsanmartinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Dear Lord it's true. I hope this distasteful trend will end soon.

Dolores Monetposted 8 years agoin reply to this

haha. I don't want to sound like a prude, but (on my hubs) I don't want to look like an ass.

1. profile image65
          HOWTOMAKEAposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ha!  Funny!  I see that horrible boil ad everytime I sign on.

3. pagesvoice profile image72
      pagesvoiceposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No, you are not alone in finding these crude pictures distasteful. We visited Baltimore this past summer, stayed at the Baltimore Harbor Hotel and spent time at the Inner Harbor and loved it! I will admit, I did see one butt while taking the dog out early one morning and a homeless man was taking a sponge bath in the dog park across the street. Trust me, that moment was not worthy of taking a picture.

4. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am sick of looking at these pictures at the bottom of my hubs. Why are we getting these type of photos?

5. PegCole17 profile image93
      PegCole17posted 8 years agoin reply to this

You're not the only one. It degrades our work and gives the wrong impression to have "related hubs" show up that are totally unrelated or visually unappealing.

6. Solaras profile image96
      Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

WOW - I never looked until your post - there it is on my hub about dog health - "Sebaceous Cysts" with a picture of an unfortunate butt.  Unless this photo is worth the last, and I mean last dollar, per miserable CPM , I am earning here at HP - this crap needs to go.

7. julieann26 profile image85
      julieann26posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with you - naked butts have nothing to do with character actors from the 1940s.

8. profile image0
      candyhippieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I just published my first hub. Same thing at the bottom. Maybe it takes time? Maybe an algorithm is adjusting suggestions to the hub's content based on visitor activity? Nonetheless, eeww... I'd definitely rather see some relatively neutral default recommendations.

1. profile image0
        candyhippieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Update on my own comment: the problem is already resolved! Perfectly on-topic hubs have appeared in the place of butts and cysts within a couple days of publishing. Hooray!

2. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

Yes, I am sick of seeing a pic of a bare butt for the hub about how to shave one.....it appears on every hub I view. I wish the related hubs were actually related.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am also finding them on many hubs. Very ugly images. Not at all related to our topics.

3. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 8 years ago

Flag the offending Hubs for review, and include in the comment part how you feel about the imagery.

That identifies and gets the offensive material on admin radar much faster than random complaints in forum threads.  They want you to be specific, or they aren't going to deal with it.

But these pics are everywhere. I don't want to flag myself do I? The pix are related hubs put up by HP, not specific writers. And the shaved butt hub had been featured on the welcome page.

2. Venkatachari M profile image83

These hubs are sponsored by Google and you can't remove them. Only Google should remove them when HubPages administration complains to them.
      I hope the staff are looking at this thread and take some necessary steps.

They do not appear in ads

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is a hub that is here on Hubpages, not an ad. I'm not even talking about the one how to shave a behind. It is the one with the bare behind with pus. The hub itself is ok. I just don't like bare butts on my hubs.

3. Jodah profile image92
      Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I flagged the offending hub for review, but it's not actually that I have anything against the actual hub, just that it keeps appearing as a recommended hub on everything other hub I visit as well as my own. It could be worse, the same author has another hub "how to shave male genitals (with images)"

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

Interesting. I'm suddenly seeing Arab butt ads on my website. I kid you not. And I've never done a search for Arabs or butts. lol

Yet you have somehow developed a reputation.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60

They want me to date Arab women they do. And I can join for free!

1. Venkatachari M profile image83

I am receiving mails (spam) to chat with Russian women every day!!!

6. paradigmsearch profile image60

Seriously, looks like HP is keyed into whatever advertising blitz is going on. Butt (sic) sometimes they get it wrong.

It's not the ads, it's related hubs and featured hubs. It looks assanine.

1. favored profile image63
        favoredposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I noticed that Dolores, but why does it say powered by google? This is what's confusing.  If it's not google, then I have to question why HP doesn't  correct the problem.

7. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 8 years ago

I had to look at my hubs too. I agree that the photo of the behind is disgusting. The English used in the hub that it is linked to needs some real work. I can't believe that it is published.

8. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 8 years ago

Are these showing up at the bottom under "recommended hubs?" I wonder what the formula/algo is for choosing the hubs that appear there? They are obviously not "related" hubs, which should have at least something in common with the host hub.

I wonder if it has something to do with hubs that get a large amount of high click-through traffic, perhaps? That might explain why the butt-shaving hub is appearing everywhere -- simply because people click through just to see if it is real or a joke, if it really has photos, etc., and now it has become one of HP's best click-bait articles. I don't know, this is just a guess. I imagine the click-through rate could be high on this one, so the algo automatically plasters it all over the site.

The "related" hubs algo is another subject -- it seems to work better but it is not perfect. For example in Delores's article about Baltimore's iron buildings, the related hubs I'm seeing are all about cooking with and caring for cast iron pots. Articles on architecture would be a better fit -- but at least there are no bare buttcheeks!

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I always assumed that was the reason why the ass, fad diet, and hair color hubs were given more prominence.  What's weird is that sometimes that carousel thingy will show very related hubs and sometimes nothing but asses and fad diets and whatnot even when there exist plenty of related hubs that could be shown instead.  I wonder if a hubs score and traffic have to do with what gets shown.  It's pretty stupid looking if you ask me. Or maybe I just have sour grapes because my hub on how to draw an ass on a graphing calculator never gets shown.

1. livingelysian profile image75
        livingelysianposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lol! Love your reply!

2. SmartAndFun profile image94
        SmartAndFunposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If we were allowed to choose our own recommended hubs, I would happily include your butt-drawing hub! My daughter wasn't all that interested in it, but my son starts algebra next year. As a 13-year-old boy he will surely be delighted to entertain his friends and annoy the teacher with that one. lol

Ha ha ha, but yes, the click-bait articles do make the entire site look tacky. I am curious to know how articles are chosen for "recommended" hubs.

9. livingelysian profile image75
    livingelysianposted 8 years ago

I was thinking the same thing. HP cut off the ads for my piece on Breasts. There were no actual pictures of breasts. It was a health informational piece. Then I see someone's @$$ on my HP with plenty of ads and I am like what? That is so not far

1. Jodah profile image92

Me too, I had ads removed from one of my hubs because I had a pic of a woman with a large butt..even though fully clothed....and another with a black and white pic of a couple (rear view) walking naked in the rain. This one has heaps of bare hairy asses, heaps of ads and is obviously making lots of dollars because it is recommended everywhere. Not happy Jan.

2. SmartAndFun profile image94

I just checked out your breast hub, and I think you could get ads enabled if you remove the section on how men see breasts as sexual, as well as remove the mention of that fact in the intro. Keep the language clinical regarding breast health and breast feeding, and remove the part about breasts being sexualized, round and bouncy, etc.

Just my guess.

10. Elsie Hagley profile image71
    Elsie Hagleyposted 8 years ago

Yes I have seen that also, not very nice.

11. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 8 years ago

The butt-shaving hub featured at the bottom (lol) of a recent hotd. I think it was kylyssa's hub about homelessness. I actually went to have a look at it. Nothing wrong with the hub itself. It is probably very helpful for anyone who is looking for that kind of explanation.

Most interesting was the impressive number of votes in one of the polls. As I recall, it was about 6,000.

Still made no sense for it to be a related hub though.

1. SheilaMilne profile image92
      SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've just found the sebaceous cyst hub as a related hub at the bottom of mine - all about the Abbey Church of St Savin.  In what way is it related, I wonder?

1. SmartAndFun profile image94

The advertised hubs at the bottom are "recommended" hubs rather than "related" hubs. I guess anything goes in the "recommended" category. No relation required, apparently.

Ah, I misread it.  Not that I think it's suitable for recommendation either.

I agree it is disappointing. sad

12. PaigSr profile image68
    PaigSrposted 8 years ago

As a former Squid the one thing I aimed for were G rated sites. This included any ads that were posted on my sites. The shaving Recommended Hub does not fall into that category. The main image that is being used is enough to throw up a red flag. In fact the main title says Illustrated. However this does not seam to apply to the main image. In fact when sharing my first lens / hub with a friend they were surprised and also agreed the Recommended Hubs were not in the G rating. When I got home I disabled the adds on several of my sites because of that Hub. I don't mind having adds on my sites but they need to have the same ratings as my content.

Agreed. Makes me not want to share articles when the ads or related hubs  run like this.  What would my family think?

1. PaigSr profile image68
        PaigSrposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you

13. SmartAndFun profile image94

OK, I went to visit the butt-shaving hub. I was curious if it has ads enabled, which it does.

The reason this hub passes the taste censors is because the main illustration is a photo of a STATUE. When pictured in a tiny little thumbnail as a recommended hub, it is difficult to see that it the butt-cheeks are carved out of stone and not flesh and blood.

The hub itself is done tastefully, considering the topic. However, I will admit I quickly skimmed it and did not read it closely; for the most part I was looking at the illustrations, which are tasteful. I was actually expecting it to be tasteful, because I remember its author as being direct but professional in his approach to men's grooming topics.

Unfortunately, the realistic-looking thumbnail, combined with the title plastered above it, does not come across as tasteful as a recommended hub. I'm sure this hub is gets tons of click-throughs, which is why we see it all over HubPages.

I didn't check out the cyst hub. I find that photo totally gross. I'd much rather see a super-fit man's bare butt-cheeks, whether stone or real, than that nasty cyst.

14. Vellur profile image95
    Vellurposted 8 years ago

The related hubs are not related at all, the shaving butt and the hub about cysts are what I see the most on my hub pages and it looks awful.

There are now two sections (related hubs and recommended hubs) where there used to be only related hubs.

I agree it would be nice if ALL of them were related, at least in some way, but it seems that HP is using the "recommended" section to push any hubs that are click-bait-worthy, AKA having a high click-through rate. These keep readers on the site longer. At least that's my guess.

15. aesta1 profile image91
    aesta1posted 8 years ago

I don't enjoy seeing pictures such as this when I look at some hubs and I don't understand how this could be in many hubs. I am embarrassed when people vista my hub and see this.

So am I.  People "visiting" don't know we have nothing to do with those things.

16. ologsinquito profile image83
    ologsinquitoposted 8 years ago

I do think things need to be cleaned up.

17. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

Jeebus they're everywhere.  I was just reading some hubs about New Mexico and here they are on this hiking trails article http://hubpages.com/sports/Easy-Hiking- … New-Mexico

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12828564.png

Okay, I get that the section is called "Recommended" and not "Related," but why are these recommended on half the articles on the site?  Did HP determine that our audience largely comprised of people with cysty, hairy asses?

1. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Can't remember too clearly but I think HP said that Google is involved with what gets displayed in the recommended hubs section now.

It's powered by Google or so it says above the "recommended" hubs. It must be a customised search which makes me think Hubpages could refine the search better.

1. Susana S profile image92
          Susana Sposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I wish I could find HubPages explanation about it but I can't. I got the impression at the time that it was a feature Google was experimenting with so hard to say how much control HP have in what's displayed.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
            psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They control whether it is displayed at all.

1. profile image0

+1

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
            Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think the point is that the article in question is a Hub - so should it be allowed as a Hub in the first place, if it's offensive?

1. profile image0

The hubs are fine and do not violate any obvious rules.  The question is should HP be serving up an image of a gross butt cyst to readers who are not specifically looking for such information.

2. profile image0

HP has more control over it than "powered by Google" suggests.  I can think of two hub that are extremely popular that HP probably  manually excluded from the line-up because they would look too tacky (although not tacky enough for HP to unpublish them).  Don't want to derail the thread or open up another can of worms by naming them.

18. KarenHC profile image78
    KarenHCposted 8 years ago

I almost hate to say it, but this is part of the reason why I use Adblock even on Hubpages -- I don't see any  "Recommended Hubs", obnoxious or otherwise, at the bottom of my hubs!

19. SmartAndFun profile image94

It appears these are HP click-bait, plain and simple. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

Maybe I should write a hub about "busty celebrity bikini malfunctions" or "this one weird trick to cure turkey your neck," use highly provocative, disgusting photos, and sit back and wait for my click-bait hubs to be plastered all over HP.

This is basically what HP is encouraging us to do.

1. profile image0

Dibs on goiter
      http://drugline.org/img/term/toxic-goiter-diffuse-15186_2.jpg

Yes I'm gonna click on that for sure but then HIGHLY regret it!!

How about facial deformity...

OK wait, never mind, the field is just too rich in a bad, bad way.

2. kalinin1158 profile image92
        kalinin1158posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lol

20. Millionaire Tips profile image91
    Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years ago

I find it interesting that this thread is two weeks old and hasn't had a reply by a HubPages staff member.  Maybe it is to get us to look at our ads.  Maybe these hubs provide high revenue. It would be nice to get an explanation.  The cyst one is still on my hub today.

1. Jodah profile image92

As this is posted in technical questions you would think staff would have at least read it. A response would have been nice as so many are appalled by these hubs appearing on their own.

21. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 8 years ago

I'm seeing these at the end of most hubs and they are clearly ads but listed under recommended hubs.

1. snakeslane profile image80
      snakeslaneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the 'sad a_s' ads are popping up under the Recommended Hubs heading. What a nasty mess. I hope this gets sorted out soon! Thanks Dolores for the heads up. Or in this case the rear ends up... Is unpublishing our only recourse?
      (edit) I just went back to have another look and these actually are Hubs (not ads) so I guess they are legit. It looks like unpublishing really is the only option.

22. Millionaire Tips profile image91
    Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years ago

The cyst ad is still on the hubs. It makes me wonder why this hub is the one that has been chosen to be advertised all over the place.  Maybe they even chose to pay for this advertisement since it is listed as a Google ad. Surely we all have hubs that we would also like to be advertised, and this one does not seem to be an exceptional one.

My guess is MONEY. I'm assuming it has a very high click-through rate. The title and the photo are quite provocative and I am sure many people click on that ad simply because while they can't bear to see such gruesome stuff, like rubber-neckers passing a terrible traffic accident, they just can't NOT look.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
        Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

And Hubbers like me who click just to see what is so good about this hub that it deserves being advertised on all the hubs.

23. moonlake profile image82
    moonlakeposted 8 years ago

I haven't seen staff responding to anything. They are not explaining on here or on other forums where people have questions about what is going on.

My guess is they are happy with the clickbait and the $$$ the clickbait brings, and they are quietly waiting for this thread to die.

1. Jodah profile image92

There are three separate threads about this same thing.

Yes.

2. profile image0

I think everyone whose pages funnel traffic to them should get a share of the booty.

I would love some of the booty booty. My earnings and traffic have fallen behind. I hate to be an ass and ask for a share, but otherwise I may have to move HP to the bottom of my priority list. I have already moved my HP activity back toward the rear of the bus as it is.

24. carter06 profile image67
    carter06posted 8 years ago

Oh my!!! a rear end is really a rear end right! For one insane moment I thought it was a new regulation or change in a hub style, that I'd missed being away for a bit, ha ha.
    They are a bit offensive aren't they? Just read Kristy's response, thanks!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)