Why Do Women Go Against The Word Of God And Seek To Preach In Churches? (1 Corin

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (25 posts)
  1. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

Why Do Women Go Against The Word Of God And Seek To Preach In Churches? (1 Corinthians 14:34-36)

2. Heym0mxtwo profile image59
    Heym0mxtwoposted 14 years ago

Why are women considered less worthy in your bible? Why should a woman not be allowed to preach in a church? What kind of God judges people by their anatomy?

3. HOOWANTSTONO profile image60
    HOOWANTSTONOposted 14 years ago

These verses are talking about wives that got hooked on jabbering in church, and has nothing to do with preaching.

There were Female Prophets in the bible,
    Miriam
    (Exodus 15:20)

Deborah
    (Judges 4:4)

Huldah
    (II Kings 22:14)
    (II Chronicles 34:22)

Noadiah
    (Nehemiah 6:14)

Anna
    (Luke 2:36)

1Co:14:34: Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
    1Co:14:35: And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
    1Co:14:36: What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?

1. profile image52
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Let's look @ Usurp I Tim 2:12-What is definition? Not in power? Then what? Eph 5:23

4. BB 4 Jesus profile image60
    BB 4 Jesusposted 14 years ago

First of all you have got look at the whole context of 1 Corinthians 14:34-36; Paul is talking about the order in the church service and that women should not be interrupting the service with their questions but wait to talk to their husbands later about it.
    The verse that God states that women are not allowed is 1Timothy 2:12-14; "12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression."  There we see that women are not allowed to teach men because it was Eve that deceived Adam.  This does not stop women from teaching women as we are exhorted to do in Titus 2 nor does it keep us from teaching children.
    So now that we understand why women are prohibited from teaching men we have to see what Eve did and what God said in His judgement to her.  In Genesis 3:2-3; 2 And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; 3 but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’”  Where in Genesis 2:16-17 God said, 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” You notice that Eve added to God's Word that even by touching the tree they would die.
    In His judgement to Eve in Genesis 3:16; 16 To the woman He said: "I will greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception; In pain you shall bring forth children;  Your desire shall be for your husband,  And he shall rule over you.”'  We see that the woman is going to struggle with man being over her.
    Many churches that allow women as pastors do not teach verse by verse; book by book therefore not getting the whole counsel of God.  Instead they take a verse here and a verse there to support their view. Some don't even believe that the Bible is the ultimate authority, thus leading to views that are not allowed in the Bible.

5. profile image52
    AM Manposted 14 years ago

This scripture does not have anything to do with women preaching.
    This scripture was a letter to the Corinthian Church on keeping things done decent and in order.
    If you look throughout the Bible, There are numerous women that were used of God just as greatly as men were!
    Also, there are examples in the New Testament.
    One that comes to mind is the story of Aquilla and Priscilla of which took a man and expounded the scriptures more perfectly unto him.
    Also, if you study the history of the United States, you would find that a vast majority of early churches in America were poineered by women..
    Hope this helps.

6. yes2truth profile image60
    yes2truthposted 14 years ago

First you must understand that the organisations where these women are ordained are not the church - they are counterfeits. E.g The AngliCAIN Church with it's HQ in CAINterbury Kent (kingdom of the Kenites) England. As you can see this is the Church of Cain where anything goes including the ordaining of homosexuals (as in the American branch known as EpiscoCainianism) and some lesbian women (as in the UK head branch.)

The husband is always the head of the wife and he is to love her as the Lord Jesus Christ loves His Church. The wife is to submit to her husband and remain loyal, so there is no way that a woman can rule or have any authority over a man in the True Church.

Having said all that there were no hierarchies in the first century church, all members were equal. Elders, Pastors and Bishops were overseers, not rulers or leaders. There were no leaders or little Hitlers in the Church of God and nor are there any today.   

Finally, being a prophetess does not give a woman any authority over a man nor any authority in the Church of God.

7. twill4jc profile image63
    twill4jcposted 14 years ago

I thought i came to set things straight but look like everyone else already have done so!!! But to add my two cent.

In the days of the Bible women were prophets, and Paul refered to one of the women as being great an outstanding among the other apostles! 1 Cor. 12:28, says "And God hath set some in the church, first apostle, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers". In Ephesians 4:11, "and he gave some....evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers". So if God called a woman to be a prophet why would'nt He call a woman to be a Pastor!

Distinctions between men and women are physical and functional, rather than of their own essence.  A spirit has no gender. After God created man, He placed him in two physical houses, male and female. This means that man the spirit exist within every male and every female. All of us-males and females alike are man. The essence of both male/female is resident spirit within them called man.

For more info and understanding check out my hub under women ministers.

8. oscarwms profile image61
    oscarwmsposted 14 years ago

So if God called a woman to be a prophet why would'nt He call a woman to be a Pastor!

"This is a worthy saying: 'if someone aspires to be an elder (Pastor/Bishop), he desires an honerable position.'  So an elder must be a man whose life is above reproach. He must be faithful to his wife. He must exercise sel-control, live wisely, and have a good reputation. He must enjoy having guest in his home,and he must be able to teach. He must not be a heavy drinker or be violent. He must be gental, not quarralsome, and not love money. He must manage his own family well, having children who respect and obey him. For if a man cannot manage his own household, how can he take care of God's church. (1 Tim 3:1-5)

I see a lot there that would even exclude a lot of men from this position. What gets me is why women would ignor this clear explination of what a pastor should be and think they can fill this position. God's word is clear. If a man cannot rule his family well how can he rule in the household of God. No where in the Bible will you find God giving rulership of the women over the man. A prophitess is not a ruler over men nor is she exercising authority over men. When a preacher preaches he is preaching with authority over the whole congregation. I never have or never will sit under authority of a women pastor. All the ones I've seen have hinpecked husbands who wont let their husband rise no higher than a Deacon, and spoiled brats for children because they do not spend time with their children.

9. A M Werner profile image60
    A M Wernerposted 14 years ago

Christianity is not suppose to lower itself to a worldly understanding of worthiness or a capacity to perform.  1Corinthians 6:12 says that 'All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient.'  Because we commit ourselves to Christ - we do things Christ's way, not out own.  There are hundreds of denominations and churches because everyone picks at the Bible until they come away with those things they like and discard that which they don't.  Sometimes we just have to simply accept that what we want to do in life, or have a capacity to do, will not conform to His Will.  The world may perceive this as saying women are 'not being all they can be' or 'women are being deemed unworthy' but I believe it takes great courage and faith to obey the will of the Lord, greater than preaching itself.  The elder women are to be teachers of the younger women - that in itself is a great responsibility.  As for the place of assembly, it is to the shame of men if none stands up to lead.  And perhaps that is where the real blame needs to be laid - it was afterall Adam's fall - not Chavvahs (Eves), that got this world into this mess.

10. Lady LaShonda profile image74
    Lady LaShondaposted 14 years ago

Woa!!!!
    I really can go on and on about this subject. But to add a very important key is we all have to remember who God is...

We all are created in his image and likeness. The only thing that separates us from God is SIN. In order for God to correct the sinful desires of Man is to appoint, select, send, mandate, or whatever word you choose to use, for that purpose.

God said in Joel and in Acts that he is pouring out his spirit among all flesh...old men shall dream dreams, young men shall see visions...AND HIS SONS AND DAUGHTERS SHALL PROPHESY.......This also extended to the manservants and MAIDSERVANTS. In fact, How many people were in the upper room when the Holy Spirit fell? It wasn't just the apostles. There were hundreds. Men and women were present. The Holy Spirit fell as a result of the sermon being preached by Apostle Peter on the very same subject in the 3rd chapter of Acts. Joel mentioned the same because it was prophecy. Acts was prophecy fulfilled.

Now the Lord just revealed something else to me just now as I type. He said the gospel of Jesus Christ has to be preached among the Greeks, the Jews, and the Gentiles. Who is going to preach to them? A bunch of men....NOOOOO!!! Not just men, but whomever God seeks to appoint. Remember he can use a donkey to get his point across.

Back to what the Lord revealed to me....Gentiles are you and I who are non Jewish. By us accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as our Savior, we are joint heirs to the kingdom with Isreal by adoption into the fellowship and Christ's Family. We get to partake in the very same promises that Abraham received by God. Heaven belongs to us as well. The least we can do to express our gratitude is preach the word of God rather male or female......

I read all of the comments in this section and the most rediculous phrase was made by oscwrms " No where in the Bible will you find God giving rulership of the women over the man. A prophitess is not a ruler over men nor is she exercising authority over men."

You really need go back to the Bible and learn. Let me ask you this question?
    How did Prophetess Deborah become a judge over Israel?
    I'll tell you how and it clearly says this in the Bible.
    Judges 4:4 And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time.

Why didn't her husband judge?
    Because if you read the previous chapters, you'll find that the men were in disobedience and war was everpresent. Because of this, Deborah was the closest to being the purest to judge Israel. Lapidoth was too weak spiritually to perform such task. God chose Deborah because he couldn't find a man worthy enough to judge. STUDY MY FRIEND.

11. H P Roychoudhury profile image41
    H P Roychoudhuryposted 14 years ago

Human being both male and female is the creation of God. Although the constitution of body is different physically due to difference of secretion of few glands of the body but the hemoglobin is the same. The hidden spirit is the same because the time of birth and the time of death are not specified in any case.

12. laurel phillips profile image60
    laurel phillipsposted 14 years ago

What is forgotten is that Paul was talking from his sociological perspective.
    Here are a few more questions . . .
    Why don't we have all have multiple marriage? After all, the patriarch Jacob did (Gen 35).
    Why don't I circumcise my friend and missions companion? After all, Paul did (Acts 16:3).
    Why don't we murder entire ethnic groups? After all, the nation of Israel did (Joshua 5, 8, 10, 11 . . .).
    Why don't we follow God's word verbatim? We don't follow the Ten Commandments verbatim. Covet lately?
    Why don't we keep slaves (Philemon1)?
    Why don't we impose the same historical rules on men as we do on women? After all, I like husband who will give himself to me sexually without reservation and who is forbidden to divorce me (1 Corinthian2 7),
    We have evolved sociologically. We know now - well most of us do - that women are equal to men. God knew this and so He used a woman to prophesy to the Nation of Israel and lead them into battle(Judges 4:4 - 10) because the man he appointed man wouldn't step up to the war plate without a woman in command. Perhaps that is why women are speaking in church today regardless the troglodyte (cave dweller) notions still imposed by "well meaning" men (and unfortunately women too), think?
    Perhaps Paul knew that the ignorance of his society would not tolerate the equality of women and so to keep the peace he “recommended” they stay quiet?
    BTW. Hate anyone lately? Not going to heaven then (1John3:15)
    Don't take it personaly or literally.

13. Bigwilly417 profile image58
    Bigwilly417posted 14 years ago

To understand this verse you must know the History surrounding the church at corinth, and the culture during this time period. the Church of corinth was divided into 2 sections, 1 for the men and 1 for the women. during worship, it became so distractive due to the women chattering, if she did not understand something, they would talk through the walls at their husbands, asking questions, this is where you get the verse, let your women keep silent in the Churches;for it is not permitted unto them to speak. verse 35 goes on to say " and if they will learn anything,let them ask their husbands at home. this verse let's us know that the man is suppose to teach his wife the things she needs to know  regarding scripture, but in this day and time in any given Church, women outnumber men. so how can you teacg your wife anything if you are not in Church or in a position to be taught anything yourself. the problem lies here, men want to be considered rulers, and Leaders, but you cant Lead if you don't know how to follow.and you are not a good leader if when you look behind you, there is no one following you. If you were to read in Genesis you will find that God did not create woman to be behind a man, he placed her to be by his side, and he gave them dominion over the Earth. In order to get the correct understanding of the Scriptures, I suggest you pray to God that he may open your minds so that you can receive a clear understanding of his word, that he may reveal to you what it is that he is saying to his people. too many of us want to give our own interpetion of the scriptures.

14. David Schulze profile image62
    David Schulzeposted 14 years ago

Why do people who interrupt the scriptures fail to bring it forward. 

When the scripture was written women had no rights, no say and were generally treated badly.  They were for having babies and running the household.  That is why this belief was held too during this time period.

That is not the case today.  Today their role in society is as important as the role men play.  Therefore in our society today, there is nothing wrong with a woman being a preacher.

In our society today women have a much more complex role to play.  In many cases it takes a woman to reach a woman.  It takes a recovering addict to reach an addict.  Only a person who has been through a divorce (which is another issue that is perverted in today's church) can help someone else going through it.

To not honor women and give them their rightful place in the church is wrong.

And in today's society, women far outnumber the number of men going to church.

15. adayatech profile image60
    adayatechposted 14 years ago

Isn't the message more important than the messenger? Would you reject the truth because it was presented to you by a woman? Would you accept a lie because it was told to you by a man? If so, you will be easy to deceive.

16. profile image57
    notsocraezmeposted 14 years ago

I believe that in those days women were treated by men, like possessions, and were not allowed to speak at functions, including Church, so a lot of laws were laid down.
    There was a time when I thought women should be quiet in Church,and only sing in the choir or teach Sunday School, but in most Church groups, if it weren't for the women opening up their mouths and teaching the Word of God, many Churches would be closed. Men are not taking authority in the Churches because so many men do not want to truly serve God.
    I believe that if a woman is called by GOD to preach or teach the Gospel, she should do it.  The Lord called me into evangelism years ago. I talk about the Lord whenever and wherever I can. Maybe I don't say enough about Him. And maybe I need to live closer to God so I can also be a better example for Him.
    Ladies! If God calls you into ministry, don't hesitate. There is an urgency to win souls for Christ. The Lord is coming soon and I think He wants EVERYONE to serve.

17. aoiffe379 profile image60
    aoiffe379posted 14 years ago

Do you realize that in some locales/districts, there would be no Christians or few Christians if this text proved a hard and fast rule? Many men who could work in the Vineyard linger with the wine glass too long,chase pleasure or smoke or think of ways to earn a fast buck. I assist at a small church and the men there are as scarce as hen's teeth!We women work along with the Pastor who is smart and wise enough to recognize the importance of women in ministry and allows us to preach/teach. Time is too short to major in the minors. Everyone- male or female -has to work while it is daylight. Thus, it is not necessarily women seeking to preach but women being sought to take their place like those with Gideon's band.

18. hypnodude profile image60
    hypnodudeposted 14 years ago

I knew that the Bible was written by men. If written by women probably it would allow them to preach as well. Unless someone thinks that God loves men and hates women, or loves more certain people than others.

19. terced ojos profile image60
    terced ojosposted 14 years ago

Because the bible is subject to private interpretation regardless of what pastors or supposed bible scholars say.  My pastor says a woman can be a pastor if she has the "covering of a man" whatever that means.  The bible can be twisted like taffy to justify any act from the benign to the horrific.  Just ask the KKK.

20. Allan McGregor profile image60
    Allan McGregorposted 14 years ago

If you read this scripture in the original Greek, you discover that the question is self-answered by the text. Look again, more carefully at 1 Corinthians 14:36-38,

'What? Was it from you that the word of God went out? or did it only come in to you? If any man seems to himself to be a prophet or to have the Spirit, let him take note of the things which I am writing to you, as being the word of the Lord. But if any man is without knowledge, let him be so.'

As I point out in my hub 'Let Your Women Remain Silent' and my short series, 'God Created Sex', this is typical Paul in full rabbinical flow, presenting an argument put to him in order to demolish it.

He does this in a lot of his epistles, in a style that any Jew would recognise as a 'Responsa'.

We see this by his derisive conclusion, which in the Greek simply begins with 'E?', or as we might say in English, 'Eh?' before going on to question where this apparently 'private interpretation' came from and ending (if I might paraphrase) with the dismissive: 'If you really want to be a complete idiot, keep thinking like this'.

And 1 Timothy 2:12-14, obviously doesn't refer to 'women' and 'men' in general but to 'wives' and 'husbands' specifically because married ministry teams were common and Paul was cautioning against a woman exercising pastoral authority over her own husband, which would subvert the marriage relationship.

21. bulletproofballoo profile image59
    bulletproofballooposted 13 years ago

I think when you ask that question... Your missing the point of following Jesus. We are Called to Love God and to Love others, and to "go into the nations" to spread that Love to all within ear shot, and to not only tell others of God's love, but to show it by our lifestyles. God never said, "Share who I am and what I'm about to others... Except if your a woman." If God choses to work through a woman to spread and share what he's about, I'm all for sitting down, shutting up, and listening to what she has to say whether it is in a church setting or just hanging out. When you stand so close to God's painting as to narrow out such a small thing, you tend to lose the ability to look at the big picture and what ALL of his people are called to do. God thought provoking question though!

22. lionswhelp profile image67
    lionswhelpposted 13 years ago

Good question but easy to answer if you really are interestd in serving God. First off, Jesus Christ came to restore women to their rightful place, right besides men in His Ministry, Genesis 3:15, Matthew 28:18-20, 1 Peter 2:1-10.

Secondly, God isn't concerned about which gender preaches and teaches, see Galatians 3:28-29. In 1 Timothy 2:11-15 > Paul is clearly putting a stop on the new females that were coming from the Temple of Artimus in Ephesus to the Church of God. These women were very disruptive and noisey, bringing their chants and false doctrines taught to them from the Gnostic Jews who followed the Kaballah. Even men are required to be quiet and listen.

Thirdly, 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 is another attempt by unconverted Jews or Judizers to try and keep women from preaching.
    Probably these Jews are the same guys that wanted Gentiles to be circumcized. Also most scholars doubt that these verses are part of the original text and probably were notes written in the margin by interpreters.  Besides this Paul was being his usual sarcastic self with these certain Jews by taunting them as to who had more authority him or them, 1 Corinthians 14:36-40. Those that misinterpret his words are trying to give us the idea he was against women speaking in tonques or prophesying. No way he was defending these ladies.

Most people that accept these verses as a put down on women are usaually very shallow in their research or hate women. To bad because Jesus Christ loves women and places them in the Church were he wants them. People that are Bereans in nature, that is, those that want the right answers will go that extra mile to prove all things. Read what the Apostle Paul said in 1 Thessaonians 5:19-23 & 1 Timothy 2: 15-19, 24-26.

23. SPIRIT n TRUTH profile image62
    SPIRIT n TRUTHposted 12 years ago

They don't. The historical and cultural context of these verse was about women who were speaking out in church and having conversations during the assembly of the saints and were causing disorder and interruptions instead of peace and order that God is of (1Cor. 14:31).

Also in the same book it gives instructions for how woman are to pray and prophesy in church and how they are not. In Acts 18 Aquila and Priscilla teach Apollos more adequately the way of God, the rest of the story, of the New Covenant. Mary preached the resurrection of Jesus, first, she was the first to see Him and declare Him risen.

For further resources see Beyond Sex Roles by Dr. Gilbert Belizekien and Why Not Women by Loren Cunningham. Grace and Peace.

24. LoisRyan13903 profile image60
    LoisRyan13903posted 10 years ago

Interesting question and very good.  Have to say however there are some excellent women preaches and evangelists.  Even in my home I am the spiritual leader because my husband wants nothing to do with Christianity

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)