Do you think it reflects negatively on you as a person if you talk bad about you

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (33 posts)
  1. BobbiRant profile image62
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

Do you think it reflects negatively on you as a person if you talk bad about your ex?

Sometimes people will talk bad about their ex, but often those exes are sheer players and bad news.  Do you think it reflects on you badly as a person if you talk badly about the ex, or would you want to know if a bad person was back in the dating scene?

2. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 13 years ago

I don't know really, I've always found that I've rarely had anything to say about them anyway, the thread is cut and are they no part of my life.

3. Loveslove profile image61
    Lovesloveposted 13 years ago

If the ex is bad then why not...but slagging off your ex for the sake of being nasty is not good or needed !
    I have an ex and altough he did the dirty on me he is not a bad man and i would never slag him off to his son,another woman or anyone else.
    I wouldnt have gone back to him anyway..good or bad.
    Talking badly about anyone at all does you no good.

4. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

it depends on what your saying. if your ex and you just didn't work out and you are nit-picking at everything you can then it's wrong but if your ex used to beat you or something like that then tell people just so they can be forewarned.

5. Loving_Life profile image61
    Loving_Lifeposted 13 years ago

It all depends on the 'ex' if theyre definitely a bad person that you wouldn't even wish your worst enemy would date, then say what theyre like.
    But if you're just saying bad things about them because for instance they broke up with you, then don't say anything mean about them

6. tysanders profile image60
    tysandersposted 13 years ago

I think it's a negative reflection if a person talks bad about their ex. If I dated him and then talk badly about him what does that say about me? If we can't say anything good don't say anything at all.

7. ImChemist profile image59
    ImChemistposted 13 years ago

I don't like to speak about my ex in good or bad , because now he is past and to continue my life i have to forget ...
    How i forget him if I'm still speaking about him!!!

8. Silver Poet profile image70
    Silver Poetposted 13 years ago

In general it isn't good to talk badly about someone, but there comes a time when a bit of truth needs to be told in order to warn the unsuspecting.

9. GNelson profile image60
    GNelsonposted 13 years ago

If you are talking bad about your ex than it is not over for you yet.

10. profile image0
    Mr Tindleposted 13 years ago

Generally I think people need to move on. This stands if the ex was good or bad. Some basic referrences may be ok, but why dwell on the past!

11. R.Cochran profile image75
    R.Cochranposted 13 years ago

I agree with a lot of comments on here.I generally don't speak bad of anyone, or try not too. As far as ex's go, most of the people I know who do, usually have some kind of axe to grind and do it more to make themselves feel better about their situation.

12. Vaiebhav profile image76
    Vaiebhavposted 13 years ago

More than it reflecting negatively on yourself, it probably indicates that you are holding a grudge which is more injurious to your mental health. Holding a grudge is like holding hot coal in your palm, it is your palm that gets burnt in the process.

13. onlinearticlespk profile image58
    onlinearticlespkposted 13 years ago

iy we talk about badly about oir ex bad things then it is not a negativity.It will be a good experience and you can make more rational decision about the same issue next time.If i am a good person then no one can speak bad about me. Actually it depend on your thinking which guides you what to speak about ex.

14. craftybegonia profile image60
    craftybegoniaposted 13 years ago

Why would your current one think you'd do differently by him if you talk bad about your ex?

15. Misty May profile image82
    Misty Mayposted 13 years ago

I think it's alright when the breakup if fresh and your talking to girlfriends but when your back on the dating scene I believe you just need to let go. I've heard guys I was with bashing their ex's before and all I could think about was is this what they are going to say about me if we broke up? I makes people sound bitter. Warning a friend or another girl is one thing bashing is different. Just leave it at "he isn't really boyfriend materal"

16. profile image0
    CarolCTposted 13 years ago

If you are saying bad things about them what does it say about you. Better to say nothing and concentrate on moving on with your life.

17. PinotsHub profile image60
    PinotsHubposted 13 years ago

venting to a friend sure... telling the whole world, unless you are perfect, I don't think its necessary

18. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

I think it reflects negatively on the person talking bad about their ex.  Talking bad about anyone is a classless thing to do.  Take your bumps and bruises from the past relationship and move on with dignity--let it go.

19. stricktlydating profile image85
    stricktlydatingposted 13 years ago

I would see no problem with someone talking negatively about their ex.  Afterall, they're an ex for a reason.  I'd be more worried if they were daydreaming of an ex.  Also, I'd much rather my boyfriend talk negatively about an ex than be telling me how great she was!  Eeek!

20. EssyRedfield profile image60
    EssyRedfieldposted 13 years ago

It takes a strong girl to take the moral high ground and not say anything sometimes. But if, for example, he's being a real douchebag and hitting on one of your friends, she deserves to know.

21. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

i try not to talk "bad" about an ex,.. i do think that when the context is apropriate, and the timing is right, i speak the truth about an ex,.. if the thruth is bad,... well, hard to argue w/ the truth. theres always good and bad things to remember,... what you say about others says far more about you than it does them.

22. Jordan Riley profile image57
    Jordan Rileyposted 13 years ago

probably yes....especially to people you are not close to. If venting to your close friends, i guess it is okay...

23. Rockgirl85 profile image61
    Rockgirl85posted 13 years ago

If the relationship turn out bad for both of you, how do you know it will be the same for the next person? Sometimes people make mistakes in a relationship and do not take the relationship serious, which means he/she isn't really interested in you. I think it is alright to talk about bad relationships but don't spend your energy talking bad about that person it is not worth it.

24. tinaweha profile image59
    tinawehaposted 13 years ago

You are allowed to talk crap about your ex as long as you don't have children who might hear what you say.  However, talking too much about your ex on a date is a sure sign that you are not ready for another commitment.

25. LeeWalls profile image61
    LeeWallsposted 13 years ago

A person that talks about his ex forgets that he/she was married to him. You got a divorce for a reason and it's not up to you to save the world. I think if he's dating again others will realize he's bad news and will drop him just like you did.

26. mckbirdbks profile image81
    mckbirdbksposted 13 years ago

It does reflect badly. And your friends don't want to hear it. Your family already agrees with you. Then again it is not wise to keep it all bottled up. Talk badly about your ex. You know they are not speaking kindly about their ex's.

27. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Talking badly about anyone is not appropriate.  The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear someone speaking negatively about another person to me is:  I wonder if they speak about me like that?  To answer with honesty when one is asked a question is acceptable, but to seek out an audience or entertain an audience by speaking about another person in a bad light is not acceptable. 

If children are involved, this impacts them tremendously in a very negative way.  They feel that they need to choose and/or defend the parent that is being attacked.  It's selfish and immature to behave this way as the well being of the children is not being put in the forefront.  If you need to vent, then speak to a counsellor or confidente, but not to everyone.

28. mrpooper profile image38
    mrpooperposted 13 years ago

If people are still talking about their ex then they are not really an ex. Forget the ex and move on.

29. profile image50
    BASKETBALLKING123posted 13 years ago

YES CUZ U WANT OUT WITH HIM/HER AND Y U ONCE LOVE THT PERSON SO YES I THINK THT

30. Amy Becherer profile image66
    Amy Bechererposted 13 years ago

I think the truth, BobbiRant, as you see it is always a positive.  I try to be kind, but not at the expense of telling it like it is.  Talk, if not truth, is a lot of wasted energy, and worse, if untrue, reflective on the integrity of the liar.  Human beings in general spend too much time, in my opinion, trying to validate their reality.  It is unnecessary and often turns to bite the "talker" in the ass.  I have learned from you, BobbiRant, that the truth will set you free.  There is a great deal of release in venting and I believe it is healthy as long as the venter is moving onward and upward and not "stuck" in an endless cycle of vindication and bitterness.

31. Shelvajay profile image60
    Shelvajayposted 13 years ago

Having worn these shoes just two days ago, being the person speaking badly, I do not think it reflects negatively on me in this instance, because we still have unresolved issues, on both ends, and there are/were things that needed to be known to all, that were not known before I started talking.  Some serious things, not just HIS BREATH STINKS either.  But I am getting past this.  Once I do, I will have nothing to say about him, at all...

But in general, I don't think it reflects negatively on anybody if one speaks badly about their ex.  But it does show that there are unresolved issues that need to be addressed, on either or both sides.

32. Apostle Jack profile image59
    Apostle Jackposted 13 years ago

Choices reflect good and evil of negative and positive spirituality.GOSSIP,BACK-BITTING is a conversation of negative proportions,and it ALWAYS come back in a negative consequence.

33. LillyGrillzit profile image79
    LillyGrillzitposted 13 years ago

Great Question Ms. Bobbi Rant.

This is a loaded question, and much of it would depend on the circumstances, and what kind of trash is being talked:

1). Was the ex a perv who tried to diddle the kids?
    2). Did he/she clean out your savings, steal your credit?
    3). Is the person violent or truly unhinged?
    4). Venting to BGF or family?

The messenger is always going to be despised no matter who, or why. (Friends and family will support your venting, because you support theirs :0)) The messenger will be blamed for many problems, because those who go ahead into a relationship with a Bad Egg, often knew that Egg while still with Messenger.

They think they are something special, and are still at the point of believing all of the same lies; you the Messenger fell for, when you Loved said Egg.

In the case where children are in true danger, I think it doesn't matter how it reflects on the Messenger, the kids will thank you later. Same with crooks.

Although, as you know many people will prefer to hide their head in Farmville and pretend all is well. Just saying...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)