Do you know a Christian who has pushed you away from the faith?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (19 posts)
  1. sholland10 profile image84
    sholland10posted 12 years ago

Do you know a Christian who has pushed you away from the faith?

2. ii3rittles profile image78
    ii3rittlesposted 12 years ago

I love my aunt dearly and she is actually what helped me find God. She found him and his love and shared it with me. At the same time, I must be careful when we are together. She has a strong dislike for my mother and she will cause me to dishonor my mother and I know God don't like it. I really need to work on not letting anyone effect my faith, even in the least bit.

3. lovelife08 profile image59
    lovelife08posted 12 years ago

She didn't push me away, but I definitely did not appreciate her forcing her views of Christianity on me when I'm already a Christian.  She was just preaching to the choir.  Her time would be much better spent talking to someone who doesn't believe.  Doesn't do much good to try to "Christianize" somebody that's already a Christian.

4. LVidoni5 profile image78
    LVidoni5posted 12 years ago

We are responsible for our own faith. Every human on earth is a hypocrite Christian or not. We are incapable of living up to our potential and convictions. That's the reason for the gospel. The non-believers or atheists should stop looking for christians to be perfect, if they want perfection look to Jesus.

5. HSanAlim profile image60
    HSanAlimposted 12 years ago

I know hundreds of them that push people away everyday.  If you shared a real life experience th. at shows Christian values, instead of being inspired you get asked questions like. And what will you do with that experience.  I have had enough of proselytizing people of any faith.

A person that believes in God, acts in the proper way, all the time and every day. Not only when in church, or in a mosque, or in a temple.

6. Apostle Jack profile image60
    Apostle Jackposted 12 years ago

There are only a few that are true Christians,and sometimes one can mistake an open spirit from one that have already decided on the answer.Falsehood and corruption is most of what you see in both the Church and the world and it is easy to be confuse.
    The way the whole matter is today is no wonder that we make wrong choices.But don't blame it all on the rain when one can always choose not to stand in it and get wet.
    But I agree that heads have turn in the opposite direction because of the Fox among the sheep.And those that only claim the name,but can't claim the fame.

7. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

i don't think any pushed me away but i no quite a few that showed me that christians are as bad as anyone else. even on here there are a couple of hubbers that though they claim to be christians, they seem to be just rude, selfish people. i've never had "faith" so that's why i say no one pushed me away.

8. sholland10 profile image84
    sholland10posted 12 years ago

Some great responses.  It ultimately is left to us to make our own decision, but sometimes when we see someone who claims to be a Christian judging and pushing others by trying too hard, it does push them away. 

Christians are by no means perfect.  It's the ones who think they are that are the problem.  We are all individuals and we all have faults.  We also have our own political views and feelings about lifestyles and passions.  It is the way we share our lives that makes the difference though.  As Christians, we need to keep Christ in mind and think about how He handled things.  He always kept perspective and compassion in the forefront.  He never showed anything but unconditional love.  He was not afraid to say what was right and what was wrong, but He did not, though He could have, judge others. 

Please keep the comments coming.  Your responses are completely fascinating to me.  I want to hear others' thoughts and opinions.

9. profile image0
    Guantaposted 12 years ago

In my early years as a Christian I kept making the same mistake over and over again, and that is to expect people to not act like people. 

Today,  however, my faith is stronger and since I expect to be dissapointed by others I am less dissapointed.

10. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 12 years ago

When I was fourteen I started  going to a christian church. At seventeen I studied the scriptures for hours at a time.
    I started seeing things that did not seem right as far as doctrine. I felt I needed to find another type of church. I asked God to show me for sure if it was Him telling me to leave.
    I told the pastor my interpretations. He told me to stop changing the meaning of scripture. The very next week I showed him another part of scripture I was concerned with. Later he and his wife told me to leave the church and find one where the people believed as I did.

I left the church, met my husband to be at eighteen and converted to the Jewish religion.
    I have been extremely happy ever since and very blessed.

So I'm glad they pushed me away.

11. whoisbid profile image61
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

I don't know if I have ever met a christian who believes or has faith. Of course I have met people proclaiming to have faith and pretending to have faith but I never seen anyone who believes what they claim to believe. It is almost like christians are the exact opposite of their supposed leader Jesus Christ.  I am shocked by the things I have seen religious leaders do in secret- things that even atheists don't do. My mother died recently from cancer and she was being bullied by people in her church. Those people wanted to sell her stuff from their multi-level marketing scam and I don't think anyone really cared about my mum. They just wanted to exploit her financially. Some even gave my mother false hope. I was personally disgusted by these groups of people and feel they are completely off their heads.

12. profile image0
    Daniella Lopezposted 12 years ago

My father was definitely an example of what a Christian should not be, yet he was very religious. I wouldn't say he exactly turned me away from Christianity, but he definitely had a huge influence.

I have however met some amazing Christians who lead the sort of lives the Bible teaches for them to lead. I do not personally believe in this faith, but I would say I've met an equal amount of good Christians/bad Christians (if I can say that).

13. theeaglesrose profile image60
    theeaglesroseposted 12 years ago

I know some I have blamed before of this. But your faith is a personal relationship with God and if a person has been able to put a wedge between you and God, then the problem is not with that person..it is a problem with you....because you are not looking to God for your faith, but to people and people ...including yourself...will always let you down. It is why we are human and NOT God.

14. Azaurmyth profile image60
    Azaurmythposted 12 years ago

Several. I used to be Christian, but I had so many others telling me that what I believed wasn't right with God, or with Jesus or with the Bible. So I did what they basically wanted me to do. I did my research and I found something where I wouldn't be critisized as much. Being a Pagan has made me so much happier because I can be who I truly am and still be very religious. I don't strive to be perfect, I just strive to be a good person; calm, just, helpful and kind. It's an everyday struggle, but I pray more now than I ever did before which surprises a lot of people. And I am far more religious now than I ever have been. I'm happy that I was pushed out.

15. angelicwarriors profile image72
    angelicwarriorsposted 12 years ago

before I was a Christian many pastors pushed me away from religion and faith... it was either their way or the wrong way... as a born again Christian I have tried very hard to not be like the people I remember...

I am currently studying the Bible in a four year school... I listen to the Bible and my lessons in my car... there are alot of things I am told to do in the gospels but I cant seem to find where I am to force my beliefs or even God on anyone...

I am instructed to spread the "Good News" so I do try that BUT I do not force the issue... I have lived a rough life, and most of the people I talk to have as well or still are so it force will get me no where...

The love Jesus showed to people brought the most results, as with us, we can talk to we are blue in the face.. but our actions will rpoduce more fruit... prayer, love, and understanding will do more then all the words....

Many people feel that they must "SAVE" the world and that is where the Bible thumping push Christian comes from...

16. litsabd profile image65
    litsabdposted 12 years ago

Of course I do...as a youngster I was afraid of God, seeing nightmares that Devil was on to me each night. I was terrified of religion and God. But as the years started adding wisdom to me and maturity about life it self I came to terms with me and God. Now I beleive in my own way and feel God in every step I take.

17. pstraubie48 profile image81
    pstraubie48posted 12 years ago

i have not been personally pushed away from from faith by someone who says they are Christians...but I have had friends who have.
    A Christian should, in my estimation, reflect the Love of God, and if they do it will shine in their lives. There was a young man I taught with years ago who was very active in his church and wore the banner Christian but his behavior was confusing to those who were not Christians or were trying to decide if they wanted to become Christians.
    Without being judgmental, I can only say that the temper he displayed on many occasions when something did not go his way, was very 'off putting' to those who knew he professed to be Christ-like. Those who saw that said to me,
    If that is what being a Christian is like the I want no part of it.
    That should be a lesson to all of us. Maybe we should ask ourselves:
    Do I live my life in a way that others would encourage others to become Christians?

18. pastorjerryl profile image60
    pastorjerrylposted 12 years ago

I started attending church as a teenager, mostly because a girl I liked went there. The example of Jesus, and trying to live like him, lasted quite a while longer than the crush on the girl, but noting how holy some folks looked on Sunday vs. how they lived the rest of the week soured my attitude and I walked away from the faith for a long time.

Years later as a pastor, I found myself dealing with the fallout of those kind of situations. An incredible number of people have left fellowship for one reason or another, and are now scattered throughout the world, often left with unhealed wounds and scars.  Unfortunately the "Church" has quite a few people who confuse being a "strong Christian" with being strongly opinionated (read that as hurtful).

One of the problems is that we get hung up on names. The term "Christian" is almost generic, being applied to a wide range of behaviors, some of which are hardly Christ-like. On the other side of the pew, calling someone a hypocrite is like making a mud pie; you can't do either without getting dirty.

Instead of looking for "truth," some folks might do better looking for "value" in their lives, which is what Jesus brought. The Gospel should be a mirror in which we can use to adjust our behavior, not a microscope to focus on others' sins.

19. Kiss andTales profile image60
    Kiss andTalesposted 8 years ago

The problem is this , as an example can another family member make you stop loving your mother or Father, ? just because they can cause injustice or problems for you .
    Or just reverse this, can another child stop your parents from loving you. ?
    Really you are the only one who has the power to stop anything , you are behind the driver seat of your heart and mind.
    People will always do and say imperfect things because they are imperfect.
    But should we take it out on the heavenly Father because of other humans imperfections. No!  Not fair.
    What if a boss on a Job got mad about another's work performance,  then he decides to take deduction from your hard work by payroll.
    He says Jim did not do well in his performance and I am doing paycuts
    on employees checks.
    Is this fair?  No.
    The point is loving the Heavenly Father has nothing to do with you fellow worshippers,  each person is responsible for their own relationship.
    As Jesus has said we learn to forgive and we keep focused on the target of our love and devotion to the Heavenly Father Jehovah.
    No one should ever have that power over your love for him.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)