Is it right to tell your husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend or partner about y

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (19 posts)
  1. ubanichijioke profile image74
    ubanichijiokeposted 12 years ago

Is it right to tell your husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend or partner about your PAST SEX LIFE?

Does it help or mar a relationship?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5296321_f260.jpg

2. Neil Sperling profile image60
    Neil Sperlingposted 12 years ago

LOL - that depends on two things

1- you
    2- your new partner

If you are looking for an answer that fits every situation, you will surely look for decades.... no ... CENTURIES !

3. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 12 years ago

I would not bandy it about like telling a funny story. But if it comes up, I found that honesty is always the best policy. How can you be held accountable for past events that have nothing to do with the current status of your relationship? If you have made a clean break with the path and there is nothing there that could have adverse effect on the present relationship, then sally forth. Any partner that would condemn you for something you did prior to you meeting him or her is nuts and I would consider carefully about how mature such a partner is.

4. ambee12 profile image70
    ambee12posted 12 years ago

It depends.  To build trust and open-ness in a relationship, it is better to be upfront of what you have done in the past so that when you are married, your partner is not caught by surprise if someone tells them something about you and then starts doubting you.  This is actually what will create mistrust and suspicion.  So to live a "happily married life", it's better to share
    whatever you have done in the past with your future partner.

5. jhendor profile image70
    jhendorposted 12 years ago

it is not in anyway advisable because it will only cause jealousy

6. lovesleftovers profile image64
    lovesleftoversposted 12 years ago

Carly Simon has a song titled, "We Have No Secrets". Basically it's about how you think you want to know someone's past lovelife (and secrets) until you actually hear them. Personally, I feel there's no reason to offer this information to a loved one. Why would you want to picture the person you love in a heated moment of passionate love-making with someone else? I don't want that image in my mind. We all have pasts, but that's exactly where it belongs, in the past.

7. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Yes I think it's healthy to let your partner know about your past sex life. It could save a lot of pain in the future and the option of both of you getting checked for stds should be a priority to ensure that all is well and healthy in the relationship.

8. truthfornow profile image72
    truthfornowposted 12 years ago

Sometimes people think they want to know, but really they don't want to know.

9. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 12 years ago

If the information is relevant (such as for health concerns, etc.) then yes. Otherwise -- why would you even want to know? Personally, all I care about with my husband is that I'm his only sex life now. He lived without me for 49 years and has kids with two different past wives and had numerous girlfriends. I know he's had sex with a lot of different people, but I also know I don't want the details any more than he wants the details of my private life before he came into the picture.

10. danielleantosz profile image73
    danielleantoszposted 12 years ago

generally, its a bad idea.  It ends up in the "numbers" game.  Who slept with more people, etc. Don't lie if asked about a specific person, but there is no need to compare a list of old lovers, either.

11. Stone Gifts profile image60
    Stone Giftsposted 12 years ago

definitely no
    it is another reason for the manifestation of jealousy

12. Hunbbel Meer profile image76
    Hunbbel Meerposted 12 years ago

Before you two become soul-mates for the rest of your life, it is good to share all the information with each other, for ONCE and FOR GOOD.

If both persons will share to each other, then there won't be any doubts and grudges remaining, but it will save a heap lot of heat later thereafter in a relationship, if one comes to know from any other source. That will be a root-cause of creating doubts then.

13. Wonder Referrals profile image40
    Wonder Referralsposted 12 years ago

If you are in a serious relationship with someone ,
    it's a good idea to talk about your past sex life
    especially if you were involved in some risky past
    sexual behavior.
    Your past risky behavior can affect your new
    relationship if you have never been tested for  HIV.
    I worked in the health care field for years and part of
    my  job was to talk about risky sexual behavior.
    It's better to talk it now, so there won't be any regrets.

14. profile image0
    Binaya.Ghimireposted 12 years ago

You can tell about relationship, but not sex life. Sex is always inherently dangerous.

15. Amy Becherer profile image66
    Amy Bechererposted 12 years ago

If I put myself in the position of beginning a sexual relationship, although I always make an effort to be non-intrusive, I would want to know any information that might impact my health.  In fact, the law will prosecute in cases where someone in a personal relationship, unknowingly, acquired a sexually transmitted disease. The stakes are high with diseases that are lifelong or life threatening.

Even knowing someone for a long time does not insure honesty in this facet of relationships.  Yes, there is the risk of rejection in revealing personal information regarding promiscuity and its common consequences, but the alternative is harming another and the consequences of those actions can bear legal ramifications and lifelong damage to personal reputation. Living with the consequences of being  known as a careless, deceptive liar is a heavy burden that is difficult to undo. Living with your conscience is even worse.

16. TheRealJohnMiller profile image59
    TheRealJohnMillerposted 12 years ago

If asked, be responsible and honest. They have a right to know.

If not asked, breach the subject. Just as you should be honest, they should respect your right to know, especially when it could be a matter of health.

17. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 11 years ago

No I don't think it is a good idea to talk of your past sex life to any of your partners

18. Alaina Smith Cain profile image61
    Alaina Smith Cainposted 11 years ago

I think it's on a need-to-know basis. For instance, if you screwed a close friend or a family member of hers before you met her, tell her and the sooner the better. If you used to have random one-night-stands, don't tell her. If you have an incurable disease, tell her. If you just got crabs, don't tell her. If you ever screwed animals, tell her. If the girls you screwed used to give you stuffed animals, don't tell her. If you're attracted to other men, tell her. If you've been with men that she's also been with, definitely tell her! If you have kids, tell her. If you tried to get somebody pregnant, don't tell her. I'm all for "honesty is the best policy" and "the truth will make you free", but I'm also a big fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Life give us enough awkward moments without us having to look for more to get into. Let the past be the past and just focus on that woman in the present and maybe even in your future.

19. profile image52
    skytreeroadposted 10 years ago

That depends on if you both have a clean bill of health or if either of you have been exposed to AIDS. Usually by adulthood everybody has a past. If you don't have a past I would definitely mention that once the relationship gets serious. It is said that you have had sex with everyone that the other person has ever had sex with once you do have sex. Everybody expects the other person to have a past once you reach adulthood.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)