What does your scriptures say about dinosaurs.

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Darrell Roberts profile image72
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

What does your scriptures say about dinosaurs.

Does your spiritual book describe the dinosaurs, how they were created how they dies? If so what happend.  If not why not?

2. Paul Westphal profile image61
    Paul Westphalposted 11 years ago

they arrived by evolution over 65 million years ago and all religions and spiritual books are myths

1. whonunuwho profile image53
      whonunuwhoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The truth be known, all spiritual books and records have a like beginning and are closely related and based on truth. What better way to create creatures and living things on this earth, than by evolution and that is a product of a Creator,God!

2. lone77star profile image71
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, you're off by a few million years, like perhaps 100 million or so. Dinosaurs ceased to exist 65 million years ago. They started far earlier.

Bible is truth. Most interpretation is myth.

3. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

I do not know about scripture mentioning about dinosaurs.

As far as my knowledge concerns, it is the evolution of earth when the solar system began. Life begins with the creation of creatures and humans till the current date.

It will be interesting to know about the past so we can nurture the future. As how they died will be the cycle of lives in sickness.

4. peanutroaster profile image65
    peanutroasterposted 11 years ago

Although random fossils were found from time to time in the years when the bible was written, people didn't know what they were so they found no need to explain them when they wrote the bible.

5. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

I don't know about dinasaurs in scripture.  However, in old maritime charts, wherever there was an unknown area, there would often appear the world "Here be dragons."   

What a terrible loss to the world...no dragons...still the Gallpagos Islands got close with their iguanas. 

Sorry, mate, this question sounds like a rebuttal of something I haven't read.

Darrell Robertsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My scientist friends give me a hard time with these questions, so I ask my fellow hubbers for their thuoghts. Thanks for the answer, Best wishes. I will check out this Gallpagos Island.

6. Radical Rog profile image71
    Radical Rogposted 11 years ago

Genesis doesn't answer, but the Secret Book of John, who also wrote Revelation, describes the beginning of time as we know it.
    What follows is conjecture but describes a more logical process than evolution and the Genesis creation story when all the evidence is taken into account.
    The earth was created barren and unfertile, only able to support simple plants. Dinosaurs acted as vast earth moving machines, feeding on these plants and excreting waste that fertilised the land enabling the creation of more complex plants and animals. When their purpose was done they were no longer needed.

1. whonunuwho profile image53
      whonunuwhoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting and where might we see this book of John?

2. Darrell Roberts profile image72

I am going to find this book. I consulted my guru google and i found this interesting link http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/dinos.shtml/
      I hope you could take a look.  Thanks for the answer. Best wishes.

7. MrMaranatha profile image73
    MrMaranathaposted 11 years ago

God Created them.  They are named by such names as Dragon, Leviathan and Behemoth in the Bible.
    As for the Billions of year time line... It is all about theories and Dates that are arbitrary... Circular Reasoning based upon Faulty Logic with a compounded margin of error that reaches out into an Infinity that may or may not exist.

As for teaching Myths... Or Fairy tales... Lets see... Hmmm how does any good Fairy tale begin???

"Once upon a time in a land far far away...."
    Or... maybe...  "Billions of years ago in a Primordial soup..."

All History before about 6000 years ago is "Pre-Historic" and therefore is based on Theories...    You can choose to Trust in Science as your god... But Science did not make us... You can trust in Random Chance but that is also foolishness to me... Chance and time only makes Destruction and Desolation.
    Or... You can think in terms of a Creative Designer who has the Power to make things happen... And has an interest in seeing his Creation progress in a certain direction... and Prosper. 

I choose the Latter... To believe in a God who Loves us and would like the best for his Children... and Gave everything to insure that we have what we need...

You Choose which Tale you want to believe... Billions of Years... or a New World that was Created full age... But your Really Choosing allot more than that.  Your Choosing to do it your own way... and Rejecting the Creator...  Rejecting the Creators Designs... Rejecting his Blue Print for your Lives... and Rejecting his Back up Plan that would save you from the errors of your ways (Sins)... Then... when everything Breaks down... for your foolishness... Then you want to Blame God for what you have broken.

I choose to stand on God's Side.,...  and the side of His Son that was killed for your Sins.

1. Radical Rog profile image71
      Radical Rogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

God gave us everything! Christianity, Judaism and Islam all founded on Abraham and Moses. How about a straight forward explanation instead of a mystery that allows millions to kill each other in holy wars believing they are doing God's work?

Hmm, I would not totaly discredit what scientists have to contribute to the knowledge of our planetary story.  Scientists could rgue that the scritures were altered and things were left out.  Thanks for the answer. Best wishes.

8. SidKemp profile image86
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

Our current understanding of dinosaurs arises from physical evidence - fossils of dinosaur bones - first found in the 1600s, and basically described in the 1800s according to theories of evolutionary biology.

The Jewish scripture, the Hebrew Bible (called the Old Testament) was written over 1,500 years earlier, when there was no knowledge of dinosaurs. The Christian testament (New Testament) written about 1400 years before the discovery of dinosaurs, focuses on the life of Jesus. The Muslim holy scripture, the Koran (Q'ran) was written 1,000 years before the discovery of dinosaurs. That is why they are not discussed there.

The Vedas, the Hindu scriptures, are even older. Buddhist scriptures are older than the Christian New Testament, and focus on the elimination of suffering through human activity, so the origins and death of dinosaurs is not very relevant to them.

Ancient Chinese non-religious naturalistic texts show that the Chinese understood fossilized bones of large animals around the year 500. We translate their word for dinosaur as "dragon."

The idea that dinosaurs are discussed in scripture arises from two confusions. First of all, the earliest discovery of large bones in England in the 1600s was attributed to giant men because the thinker, a chemist named Robert Plot, believed that the Bible's mention of giant men was related to the large bone he saw.

Secondly, in recent decades, there has been a very confused debate between ideas of Biblical creation and ideas related to evolutionary theory of biology. For those who believe creation occurred in some way as described in the Bible, there is a need to explain the evidence of dinosaur fossils. All such thinking is from the last few decades, or couple of centuries, at most. It does not reflect what is written in scripture, whatever the current thinkers may say. Rather, it is their own interpretation.

To learn more, see the History of Study section under Dinosaur on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaurs#History_of_study .

Hmm I was actually studying the Srimad Bagavatam the Hindu scripture that describes the creation of the universe.  I figured since this was one of the oldest text they may have answer.  I did not find anything conclusive as yet. Thanks for the answe

9. Virtuous1 profile image60
    Virtuous1posted 11 years ago

It says nothing about it...I don't believe in Evolution

1. lone77star profile image71
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why? God created evolution just as he created gravity.

Sadly, too many Christians believe their own poor interpretations and get lazy and arrogant. Heaven requires that we be humble and hungry for answers. You can't do that with a closed mind

Wow Lone777 you are tough.  I know the question cause people to have to think.I am trying to find the balancing piont between religion and science. God in God's infinite wisdom may have hidm the answer. I agree people shuold have an open mind. Thanks

3. breathe2travel profile image73
      breathe2travelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The original Hebrew of creation depicts God calling forth the sea creatures and birds,where as He actually "created" man. I believe that the "calling forth" could include the morphing of certain species. Study is important for truth. smile Best regards.

10. whonunuwho profile image53
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

"Dino the dinosaur happily enjoyed munching a shiny new apple", whoops, that was from my daughter's old kiddy book. The scriptures tell of how God created the earth and all that was in it, He created the great beasts and the small and later created man. This is told in Genesis 24-26, if you care to read. Ecclesiastes 3,19-20 describes how all living things perish from the face of the earth. On a cheerful note, God must have known that we would need dinosaur remains and other fossils to help create the oil from which they are made. How else would we be driving about in our V.W.s?

1. peanutroaster profile image65
      peanutroasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Organic matters (mostly plants) are thought to have produced the bulk of oil.  At process that would take hundreds of thousands of years.  The all knowing God is so clever that he planned ahead for our eventual discovery of this oil.  Or not.

11. HeadlyvonNoggin profile image84
    HeadlyvonNogginposted 11 years ago

Genesis 1:20-21 And God said, “Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.” And God created great whales and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind; and God saw that it was good.

The two Hebrew words translated in verse 21 as 'great whales' are actually ‘the monsters’ (e-thninm) and ‘the great ones’ (e-gdlim). They came from the waters and were created in the same breath as birds, which are directly descended from dinosaurs.

If there's any mention of dinosaurs in the bible, it's here. The creation account is the only place in the bible that addresses that time frame. And verse 21 would be the correct place chronologically.

12. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

Actually, the Bible doesn't talk about dinosaurs. They died out 65 Mya.

It is uncertain what the leviathan and other creatures mentioned in the Bible refer to, but they could not have been dinosaurs.

The dragon of myth may actually have been a mechanical flying craft of Atlantis. No joke, folks. Scientific evidence shows that a big event happened right when Atlantis supposedly sank in the sea -- 9620 BC. Myths from around the world describe dragons (from drakon, Greek for "snake"). Greek, Egyptian, Phoenician and Georgian legends tell of golden dragons that flew and sometimes appeared as human and sometimes as dragon. The stories start to make sense when we view them as airships shaped like snakes. Perhaps some of the biblical stories included these artificial "creatures."

There is a timeline in Genesis, though, that is compatible with those of science.

And it shouldn't seem strange that God would create a universe that is knowable (through science) and that His creation would be compatible with science, because science studies the products of His creation.

13. breathe2travel profile image73
    breathe2travelposted 11 years ago

From my hub, "Why Bad Things Happen to Good People, Part I" -

Many Christians approach the Bible as the end all of all, so to speak. If dinosaurs aren't in it, then they never existed, for example. I say, when you study the original Hebrew translation, the Bible leaves room for dinosaurs. Without getting too deep, let's look at the opening verse of Genesis: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form, and void. The accurate translation of the word "was without form, and void" is "became without form, and void". Think about that for just a minute. Something had to be there in order for the earth to become void. "In the beginning" is not in reference to the beginning of all things, rather, the beginning of this season on earth.  Wow, that opens a biblical  door to a whole lot of unpenned history -- and actually causes archaeology to support the Bible.

There is much, much more we could look at in Genesis, but I think this one example shows the importance of studying the word in depth. Too often, the Bible is read horizontally rather than vertically. People read it surfacely, in conventional understanding, rather than study it.

Could you imagine turning in a thesis defending that Scout Finch of Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird was a bigot, citing when Scout asks her father, Atticus, "Are we n****er lovers?" Anyone who reads the book knows it decries racism and exposes prejudice, and that Scout's father, Atticus, is a champion of social justice. Scout is in no measurement prejudiced. And yet, people toss around scripture to "prove" their point. They approach scripture egocentrically -- to prove their point -- rather than Christ-centrically. And thus, gregarious error repeats itself, turning people away from truth."

Interesting, I actually began to study Genesis word for word when  was yonger, and I think that because of the time and language gap there is a lot of possibilities that are there.
      Best wishes.

2. HeadlyvonNoggin profile image84
      HeadlyvonNogginposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This view, aka the gap theory, is not necessary. Just realizing the humans created in Gen 1 and the creation of Adam in Gen 2 were two different events takes Genesis out of the realm of mythology or metaphor and places it squarely into known history.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)