What is Biblical Counseling?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Abrushing1968 profile image77
    Abrushing1968posted 11 years ago

What is Biblical Counseling?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6866440_f260.jpg

2. no body profile image68
    no bodyposted 11 years ago

Biblical counseling is not just having a mindset of Scripture while you psychologically evaluate them. It is the ability to isolate where a person has deviated from "thus sayeth the Lord" and to be able in love to restore such a person to a right relationship with God by using the Bible as the sole rule of truth and practice, the straight-edge for life. If the person does not know Jesus as Savior it is the duty of that counselor to point out that is the first place he should go, that all answers are in Christ. If the person knows Jesus, then it is the job of the counselor to dig out where the person strayed from the truth and let him know as kindly and specifically where he deviated and to encourage him to get that thing right.

Abrushing1968posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks No Body. I do agree. judging from the responses several other do as well. Well said and thanks for adding your thoughts to mine.

3. kellyteam profile image60
    kellyteamposted 11 years ago

No body said it all. I totally agree with that answer. The Bible is the authority used for biblical counseling.

short and sweet . Can't argue with that.

4. MrMaranatha profile image71
    MrMaranathaposted 11 years ago

For different types of people it can be several different things:
    1) For longer term Christians who should already know the Bible from cover to cover Christian Counseling is the Job of tactfully Reminding them of what the Bible (God's Word) says on the subject they are having trouble with and then helping them plan the path which will help realign them with the Scriptural way in which they should be going.
    2) For Shorter Term Christians it is the task of educating them in what the Bible has to say on subjects that apply to them and encourage them toward further study of the scriptures.
    3) For non-believers:  The first part of Christian Counseling is the establishment of truth according to the Bible and gaining an understanding that the world and its ways are mostly off the right track for happy families and peaceful lives.
    Salvation should be discussed: Biblical Salvation By the Bibles Plan of A) Belief in Jesus as the Son of God who is the Messiah.. the atoning sacrifice for all of our sins) B) Placing our faith in the Son of God, and C) Following His Guidebook (Bible)  for planning out our lives.
    Following those important first steps Counseling progresses toward educating them in what the Bible has to say on subjects that apply to them and encourage them toward further study of the scriptures...  And beginning a life time of learning more about their Creator... and Learning to trust him in all things.

Mr.Maranath I have to say that I think you nailed it. Excellent incite

2. MrMaranatha profile image71
      MrMaranathaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Adressing what musicman had to say below.. you may want to ask another question..."What is the difference between Biblical Counseling, Christian Counseling and other common sources of advice for life or marriage?"

5. Evans4life profile image71
    Evans4lifeposted 11 years ago

Biblical Counseling is sound advice and wisdom using the principles of the Bible as guidance.  We have all heard the adage the Bible stands form Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth.  Therefore, these instructions should be the source for counseling.

Evans4life Actually I had never heard that adage before, but I thinks it is a good one.

6. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

Good question.  There is a vast difference between what it is, and what it should be. 
    What it should be: preaching and practicing love and respect for one another without judgment, ridicule or condemnation.
    What it is: an instrument for control over others, placing fear and guilt and doubt, in the minds of children who grow up without the ability to rationally think for themselves.

D william. I suspect that you are speaking from a grudge of some kind. Your comment reveals some anger and resentment toward either the church, Bible, church leadership, or all of the above. Sadly these are people/things that could bring you peace.

2. Rina Pinto profile image59
      Rina Pintoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are right d.William, If the Holy Spirit lives in ones self then i dont think the result would be like condemning one another. According to the Bible, Jesus never condemned the woman, instead He said your sins are forgiven. Ppl even after reading

3. d.william profile image74
      d.williamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have no grudge. I just learned how to think for myself.  I am free of hatred, guilt, doubt or suppression.  I also believe that God hates no one. (I know, radical and anti religious thinking-must be satan driven)

7. profile image0
    angela lettposted 11 years ago

Biblical counseling is giving and receiving advice that is based solely on what the bible has to say about a subject or similar subject. It means that instead of seeking a friend's opinion about a subject, you search the Bible to see what it has to say. Also, I live what no body had to say about biblical counseling. I agree with him.

Good stuff. thanks for adding you thoughts to mine. Am grateful.

8. Rina Pinto profile image59
    Rina Pintoposted 11 years ago

A Biblical Counseling is a God's way to get you to Know His Mind and Heart through mainly His Holy Spirit, which is the Best way and another way is through thorugh God's chosen vessels like the Prophets, Pastors, Evangelists, Preacher. But the exact defination would be : A Radical change being brought about within one's self with true Repentance of one's sin in him/her. I could write a lot but .. may be a Hub could be written for all to see.

Nice Question sir,

Good points Rina. Where would we be with out the holy spirit and God's people.

9. musicmanayw13 profile image59
    musicmanayw13posted 11 years ago

In short, biblical counseling it taking the scripture and applying and meshing it with psychological studies.  Whereas a secular psychologist will use book methods of counseling, ie, Sigmund Freud & Kurt Lewin, biblical counseling applies these diagnostics along with scripture.  For a christian, or someone who believes in God, it can be a tool that allows familiarity to help cope with psychological needs.  What many do not know, and only with intense study will you find, there are many psychological cases throughout scripture that upon examination, you will find relate to us today.  God knew we would be in need of a variety of helps; thus, through the Word, we can find the answers to all of our problems; we just have to accept and believe in it.

1. DeBorrah K. Ogans profile image61
      DeBorrah K. Ogansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Biblical   Counseling is when we utilize Biblical Principles from the Word of God to correct any faulty behavior.   God the Father is our Creator and The Bible is our Life Manual!   God knows what is best for us.  The Bible contains a plethora of exa

2. Abrushing1968 profile image77

Musicmanayw13 I get worried when we try to mesh the wisdom of men with the wisdom of man. Christian psychology often compromise God's word. I am not trying to establish that all Christian Psychology is wrong and I think you made some excellent points

3. MrMaranatha profile image71
      MrMaranathaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The question was specifically "What is Biblical Counseling?" Not... "What is (so called) Christian counseling?"  "Christian Counseling" by today's standards has truly been blended with mans opinions and has strayed far away from What God has Said.

10. DeBorrah K. Ogans profile image61
    DeBorrah K. Ogansposted 11 years ago

Biblical   Counseling is when we utilize Biblical Principles from the Word of God to correct any faulty behavior.   God the Father is our Creator and The Bible is our Life Manual!   God knows what is best for us.  The Bible contains a plethora of examples to help us.  When  needed wise counsel  is readily available  within His Word to help us get back on track!  One can discover   how to conquer fear, anxiety, go through grief,  overcome obstacles, build a better marriage,  deal with difficult relationships, advice for raising godly children as well as  find a wealth of encouragement… The potential is endless.

For example!  When we purchase an automobile it comes with an owner’s manual  that contains many options that  will help you to maximize the potential  use of your  automobile.  How to maintain and keep it running efficiently.  What to do when it needs servicing etc.   God  has created each of us for a purpose.  The Bible contains the necessary information to help us  maximize our potential!   

The Biblical Counselor  is aware that God always allows us the freedom of choice and makes the counselee aware of the consequences of their choices... Although  educated on psychological  theories etc  as well,  it should always be  the  principles within the  Bible   that  are the  true “Biblical  Counselor’s”  foundation for wise counsel that supersedes anything else!

DeBorrah, at the moment I am so torn between your answer and Mr.marathon's for best answer.  Thank you for taking the time to chime in.

11. Precious Pearl profile image77
    Precious Pearlposted 11 years ago

Biblical counseling is counseling that utilizes a foundation of the Scriptures with the balance of wisdom and knowledge in helping someone that is going through a crisis either of the spirit, mind, emotions or body.  Most of the time, those who seek out Biblical counsel are those that believe in the basic principles of the Bible and that those principles will help them to be healed of wounds from the past or present.

Precious Pearl healing the wounds of the past and present. Indeed. thanks for sharing

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)