Have you ever ripped a book apart because the ending was bad?

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (60 posts)
  1. pmorries profile image65
    pmorriesposted 11 years ago

Have you ever ripped a book apart because the ending was bad?

I once read a book where the main character died, his wife was raped and died during childbirth, all of his fellow heroes died, and his kingdom was plunged into chaos. I tore the book in half and threw it against the wall. Have you ever had such a visceral response to a books ending?

2. mysticalrose profile image63
    mysticalroseposted 11 years ago

Hahaha..not really..at the most all I have done is bang my head against the wall and hid the book where I wont have the misfortune to even glance upon...

pmorriesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ouch, I would rather throw the book against the wall.

3. iviskei profile image71
    iviskeiposted 11 years ago

That's....an odd ending. What is this book called and who is the author? I've never been that angry at an ending, but I've been sorely disappointed in several endings. Especially when it feels like the ending has no relevance to the rest of the book.

I read the book over twenty years ago, so I really cannot remember  who wrote it. Also, I do not remember being all that angry. But, then again, I have never torn up another book again.

4. sashenikainderby profile image60
    sashenikainderbyposted 11 years ago

I understand your frustration because it is a human nature to hope for a happy ending but in real life it is not always like that. A good book is an escape and somehow a guide to a better future. It can also give you a valuable lesson.

Sometimes I stop reading a book if I do not like the content because I believe that what we think is what we are. Reading about destruction makes you destructive in your everyday live.

5. samtebbutt profile image70
    samtebbuttposted 11 years ago

No but I walked out on the ending of the film "The Green Mile" From the shock of seeing such gentleness extinguished

It sounds like you are a gentle person yourself  (a compliment  in my book).

6. Steele Fields profile image69
    Steele Fieldsposted 11 years ago

No, but I threw one across the room in the middle of reading it-  it was "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."  I absolutely loathed it.  I also threw "Sula" across the room (although  many of my friends who loved it were appalled and said I just didn't 'get' Morrison's symbolism) 
    I only made it to page three of James Joyce's "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man," but I didn't throw that one since there were other teachers in the room, so I simply put it back on the table and acted like I had already read it.

I love both of your honest answers, and I thank you for your comments.

2. dysfunctioniskey profile image59
      dysfunctioniskeyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's so funny- the same thing happened to me with a Danielle Steele book several years ago, and I have never picked up a Danielle Steele book again!

7. cavallo profile image61
    cavalloposted 11 years ago

It happens, for real too.Maybe not to such an extent.

8. profile image0
    KDuBarry03posted 11 years ago

I think I did this when i was reading a particular book and the dialogue was absolutely ridiculous...it wasn't the ending, it was halfway through!

A book has to be EXTREMELY bad for me to rip the book and not even consider rereading or rebuying it.

9. Preethi Anusha profile image68
    Preethi Anushaposted 11 years ago

Naaa .... I through the book into crap the moment I sense something stupid ahead ... so never came to such a situation

The book was so well written, for 3/4 of the book, I did not see the train coming.

10. cam8510 profile image89
    cam8510posted 11 years ago

I have never done that.  I just wanted to pass on a word of caution.  It is much more expensive to do this to a Kindle version of the book.  I do have to say though.  I could have done bodily harm to Stephen King when I finally finished the Dark Tower series.

I have tried to get into that series on a few occasions, but , now, I will just wait for the movies to come out.

2. cam8510 profile image89
      cam8510posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just read today that Warner backed out of making the movies.  An independant group is interested though.  Read the books.  Stephen King movies can be really bad.

11. bizzymom profile image62
    bizzymomposted 11 years ago

I have not ripped a book apart, but I have given books away even before finishing them if they are too sad.  I don't blame you though.  I won't even continue reading a book if it is so sad and chaotic.

I agree with you comments for the most part. I have started reading many books in my time, only to put them down because they did not get better.

12. c1234rystal profile image59
    c1234rystalposted 11 years ago

Can't say I've ever done that lol, but I've read a book that's considered a classic which I thought was mentally draining, depressing and just hard to get though. I would feel sick and tired after reading a few pages lol!

It has always amazed me how quickly I can read a book I  love, but how long it can take to read a supposed classic.

13. tmbridgeland profile image80
    tmbridgelandposted 11 years ago

No, and only rarely thrown a book away. Once a friend of mine showed me his technique for making thick paperbacks more convenient to carry. He just tore them in half. I was pretty shocked, had never considered that before.

A book would have to be not just badly written, but morally awful before I would consider damaging it.

In my defense, the book was a paperback, but your point is a  valid one.

14. PurvisBobbi44 profile image89
    PurvisBobbi44posted 11 years ago

No, I was taught to respect books at a very early age.

I was taught to respect books at an early age also, but there are some books that do not deserve are respect, but, at the same time, I would never wish them banned.

15. prettynutjob30 profile image84
    prettynutjob30posted 11 years ago

No but I have definitely thrown a bad book across the room before.I hate it when a book is good all the way through except for having a stupid ending that don't make any sense.

I know what you mean, you can feel betrayed and feel like you have wasted your time (and I never feel like reading is a waste of time).

16. Cre8tor profile image93
    Cre8torposted 11 years ago

Though I've not ripped a book apart, I have definitely been affected emotionally by certain books and films. A bad example would be that I ran out of the Karate Kid just praying someone wanted to fight with me...of course I was 10 but I was ready!

book X emotion = (cover / pages) 2
    ALGEBRAENS!!!

Cre8tor, sure you were only ten when you wanted someone to fight you...

2. Cre8tor profile image93
      Cre8torposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, outside of my defense of algebra, I'm quite the peaceful critter.

17. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

Back in college, about 30 years ago, I was a big fan of Robert Ludlum. And the deep reason for that was that I could count on the ending. No matter how bad things got, the hero, outnumbered (and often an amateur) won against the big bad guys. Then I read one where he didn't. He survived to become an assassin, but the evil guys succeeded in their plot and headed on to rebuild the Nazi empire and take over the world.

I didn't tear the book apart. But I never read another Ludlum. And I felt deeply betrayed for 20 years.

I think that us avid readers take are reading quite seriously, and that reading a book can be much more intimate than watching a movie.

18. BobMonger profile image61
    BobMongerposted 11 years ago

I can't say I've thrown one across the room or ripped it in half, but I've read some real turkeys. I'd rather have a bad story line if the book is at least well written. The ones that get me are neither a good story or well written. You feel bad when it's over because some poor tree died so that book could be published. Just so it isn't a total waste I'll keep it in my back-pack to use instead of toilet paper when camping. May as well recycle and get some use from it.

Some books serve a better purpose as recyclable material...

19. NicholasA profile image58
    NicholasAposted 11 years ago

No I haven't. That seems a bit childish. To do something like that shows a lack in self control.

Well, I was pretty young at the time,  but passion does sometime mean that you have to or do lose control. Also, I have a hard time calling another feelings childish, and I did one time in my life (which is hardly a habit).  lol

20. RNMSN profile image59
    RNMSNposted 11 years ago

I just finished "Unraveling' and it was good/but at one point I was hardly working/scuse me/working hard smile and got to a place so surprising and so not what I was expecting that I loudly said "No you didnt just say that!" and my co workers laughed at me!Needless to say I had to go back to work then,no longer able to disguise what Id been doing haha
    as writers ourselves arent we striving to surprise/make people think/go outside their own comfort zones?
    even if we make readers angry,arent we just wanting to make them use their intelligence and grow themselves as humans?
    and isnt that what we want as readers ourseves?

I think your comment about making an out loud comment while reading a book is a cool one. I believe that best writers make you forget that you are reading a book at all. In closing, the rest of your comments are valid also.

21. profile image0
    chloelozanoposted 11 years ago

I can honestly say I have never thrown a book across the room or ripped it apart. I have deleted books from my Kindle in the middle of reading them because they are so bad though.

A more rational, and less expensive , choice to be sure.

22. unvrso profile image83
    unvrsoposted 11 years ago

I have never ripped a book apart. On the contrary, I have fixed some who were torn apart. I did this while staying in a country house away from the city.

I had plenty of time to read and when I saw those two books, I engaged in the task of putting all the pages together. When I finished, I read them.

I have done the same thing while in a very similar situation, and I thank you for your comments.

2. unvrso profile image83
      unvrsoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome!

23. Matthew Weese profile image60
    Matthew Weeseposted 11 years ago

Guess what, A book that allows you to see not all stories are happy, and not all lives are Hollywood perfect. Sounds to me like you showed a great deal of immaturity. Have you ever read the (Scarlet Letter)? it's a great read, however; it stares into the ugly of life.

Or...the book took such a strange turn that one may have not acted in the usual way; however, I was young at the time, but, who knows, I might do it again.

2. Matthew Weese profile image60
      Matthew Weeseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When I read the diary of Anne Frank, I felt truly pissed, because of the end, sad thing is it was true, I'm not even Jewish, I'm of German descent. Heart felt war, that one.

24. Georgie Lowery profile image92
    Georgie Loweryposted 11 years ago

I haven't torn up a book but, like Steele Fields, I did throw one across the room. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Right at the part where Aslan got killed. I did read it again years later and felt all stupid.

Georgie, you are just sooo...human.

2. Georgie Lowery profile image92
      Georgie Loweryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am. Don't be fooled by the eight arms. Or the antennae.

25. JayeWisdom profile image89
    JayeWisdomposted 11 years ago

No. I have too much respect for books to ever destroy one. There is no excuse for throwing a temper tantrum just because you don't like a book's ending. (Would you throw your TV set against the wall and break it if you didn't like the way a show ended?) Even if I don't like a book, someone else might feel differently about it. If I buy a book and don't care for it--for whatever reason--I donate it to the public library.

We can agree to disagree on the no excuse comment, and I have never thrown my TV against the wall or thrown anything at my TV; however, if I can think of some situations where I might do so (watching TV in a Nazi Germany like situation might do it).

26. woodamarc profile image44
    woodamarcposted 11 years ago

I've not done that... But I've hated the ending and wondered why the author couldn't have seen the end game as a glass half full.

27. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

No.  I have had endings that left me sad, or frustrated but that kind of outburst goes against my reserved nature and I would be thoroughly embarrassed by it.

28. onegoodwoman profile image67
    onegoodwomanposted 11 years ago

No, I have not............

I have cried at some readings.......

Often, when finishing the reading of a tale, I have felt the loss of a friend.

sometimes, I have wished that the saga could continue..............but, NO,

I have not EVER destroyed a book or its telling.

29. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

No, but I've ripped a bed sheet from anger because of a lie someone told me. Does that count? As for what you did to the book, I would never have reached the end-perhaps it was based on an unfortuante true story. I think you did the right thing.

30. profile image0
    danielabramposted 11 years ago

I did use a book with a bad ending as toilet paper...

1. cam8510 profile image89
      cam8510posted 11 years agoin reply to this

There could be a tax break in that for reuse/recycling.

31. profile image48
    janpolelengposted 11 years ago

No, never have done that before.
    Because i don't read books (novels or any stories)
    I only read textbooks like math, science, software engineering so I can't find a reason to rip it in half because I think that I will be needing it next time as my reference or I can use it as a reviewer.

(is my answer logical?)

^_^

32. arbitrarycurls profile image61
    arbitrarycurlsposted 11 years ago

As a writer, I couldn't see tearing up a book no matter how infuriated or disappointed I was. But I'm not the kind of person that acts out physically when I'm angry anyway so I think that probably goes hand in hand.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)