When was the first time you started writing and what piece of work did you creat

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Docmo profile image92
    Docmoposted 11 years ago

When was the first time you started writing and what piece of work did you create?

I remember writing a story about a time traveller as a schoolkid in the backpages of a notebook and the buzz it gave when my classmates read it... I also wrote a short poem about a piece of chalk being a martyr as it slowly wore itself down teaching us kids... my teacher was very impressed! What was your first experience?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7193887_f260.jpg

2. agilitymach profile image95
    agilitymachposted 11 years ago

The chalk and martyr was very creative!!

I don't remember my first story, but at a very young age - shortly after learning to read and write - I began writing.  I believe my first story was about a girl and her horse, but I don't remember the plot.

1. Docmo profile image92
      Docmoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

thanks! My teacher was very effusive about the chalk poem. A girl and her horse is always a great start...

3. beadreamer247 profile image62
    beadreamer247posted 11 years ago

I was already writing much longer essays than my other classmates with ease as soon as I was able to write and my teachers were amazed. It didn't take me longer...just flowing out of my pen. Later when I was 14 I had about 30 penfriends all over the world....none of them got short letters. I also was writing poetry at that time.

1. Docmo profile image92

A great start!

4. RunningDeer profile image68
    RunningDeerposted 11 years ago

I was five or six.  I wrote this story about a chick looking at all the other farm animals.  I even drew illustrations and made a cover!  I still have it somewhere in all my stuff packed up at home.

1. Docmo profile image92

you should find it and publish it!

5. WritingPrompts profile image64
    WritingPromptsposted 11 years ago

When I was around 5 or 6 I recorded a story about a carefree princess from carefree kingdom (with a whole lot of other carefree things in the story - must have just learned that word or something.)  I kept the recording for a long time until my sister recorded over it... by then I was writing for real though.

1. Docmo profile image92

I too remember learning new words and using them till they wear out!

6. MartieCoetser profile image69
    MartieCoetserposted 11 years ago

Apart from writing ordinary essays in school, I entered a competition when I was 12 with an essay titled, "A Narrow Escape". About a girl facing a leopard in a tree. I won the competition. The second win was 2 years later with "Buried Alive".

1. Docmo profile image92

Awesome titles Martie.. you always knew how to capture the readers attention and curiosity.

7. hockey8mn profile image68
    hockey8mnposted 11 years ago

My first recollection of writing, if that is what you want to call it, has to been when I was young, maybe 10.  I would write these notes to my parents after I did something stupid.  I would say how sorry I am for what I did.  I would then turn it into an airplane and float it down to my parents.  I also remember the day it stopped working.  I threw jinga blocks through a stain glass window.

1. Docmo profile image92

what a creative apology... i may steal it for a story he he .

8. btrbell profile image86
    btrbellposted 11 years ago

I wrote a poem in 4th grade about the Vietnam war. I remember the pride (and embarrassment!) I felt when my teacher's and parent had me recite it. Even ,ore interesting? I still remember it.

1. Docmo profile image92

awesome. The mixed emotions of being hauled in front of an audience is a familiar feeling...

9. lone77star profile image74
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

My first creative writing was a short story called "The Giant Hercules," written in 1958.

I remember asking my great aunt Edna how to spell "atmosphere."

Inspired by some quirky fantasy movies starring Steve Reeves, I wrote of a young Hercules who fell in love with a princess and wanted to impress her by throwing the discus which he had made enchanted. He threw it out of the stadium and it went into orbit. Much later, it landed in the stadium. Hercules sleep walked toward the discus, growing smaller and smaller when he got close. He was able to pierce the surface and found himself floating in space in a block of ice, growing smaller and smaller still. Finally, he entered the atmosphere of Earth and landed on the surface.

Years later, I was startled to see a billboard on the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles showing Lou Ferrigno as Hercules amongst a field of stars and up to his waist in a block of ice. I couldn't help but laugh.

1. Docmo profile image92

wow. Isn't it amazing ( and slightly annoying) when something we imagined years ago crops up in someone else's creative space years later...

10. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

Around 5 or 6 yrs old.  The writing was a poem, soon to be followed by another, and these were given to family members as gifts.  The first was given to my grandmother for her birthday; the second to my parents for their anniversary. 

I continued on with writing a story in school at age 12 and winning the Young Author's Award for that one.  It was my first memoir-telling tales of my brother, six years younger than me, and his antics.  It kept the class laughing.

The following year I won another award for a fiction piece that had an O'Henry twist to it.  (I believe I had mentioned that to you about a year ago in some discussion we had re: favorite authors who have influenced us).    I had NOT won any further awards for my writing until I joined Hubpages and then ended up with three in the first few months of membership.  Thrilling and validating, that's for sure.   

Recently I submitted a '10 minute' play for a local theatre's annual 'short script' contest.   Judging will be October 5th and we will be notified after that.  I'm excited, and holding my breath that I am one of the five finalists.  They get to have their play presented to an audience in November!   It was the first play that I've ever written and was challenging, but exhilierating. 

Great question-thanks for asking.  smile

1. Docmo profile image92

it's always a nice experience to be recognised early and the confidence boost it gives to pursue the passion of writing... I remember the O Henry conversation. I too can never forget the Gift of Magi... the sheer beauty of that ending.

11. MickeySr profile image79
    MickeySrposted 11 years ago

I think probably the first things I wrote, certainly the first things I remember sitting down and writing, were cards - birthday and Christmas cards for my mom when I was around 6 or 7. Sometimes I would write what I counted as serious and sweet poems, but mostly it was stuff like this ~

It's your birthday or so I've been told,
    Your smile should be shining like gold;
    But instead you feel sad,
    Though things aren't that bad;
    You could be dead instead of just old.

1. Docmo profile image92

Not much has changed Mickey Sr.. that wry humour, the clever rhyme and the  'twist' ending that shocks but gradually gives us a smile...

12. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Docmo....I won't count the letter I wrote to my parents when I was 6, making a list of demands.lol.  They saved it forever, because I think they simply wanted to show me, what a little brat I was, once I had my own children.
    I'm pretty sure it was 7th grade.  Our assignment was to write a 1200 word composition on any country but our own.  In my usual fashion, I let it go until the very last minute.....(the night before).  Obviously, in the dark ages, we had no computers...no google....just good old fashioned books, encyclopedias and spending a day at the library.  Too late for any of that.  No sweat.
    I chose England and in a matter of an hour, wrote out 1200 words in long hand of pure, unadulterated fabrication.  Literally, I made up an entire composition of whatever came out of my head, with no idea if any of it had anything to do with England.  All I was sure of was, that it read very factual and official.
    Obviously, my teacher (a NUN) knew nothing about England, nor did she bother to fact-check our work.  I got an A+...a gold star....and she wrote "Excellent" across the top.  She then pinned my composition on the bulletin board and told the class that my composition was an example of perfect work!   
    Did I feel badly?   Not a bit.  I figured if all else failed, I could always get into Politics!

1. Docmo profile image92

And therein starts a life of creative storytelling... Fantastic!

13. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

I was 13 and spent two years writing a story from the middle ages. It turned out to be 243 pages on Microsoft Word, but I never finished it because no ending seemed fit.

1. Docmo profile image92

You should rediscover and finish it ... What a mammoth effort!

2. lburmaster profile image73
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the enthusiam. I might just do that over winter break. Thanks!

14. JezDramaQueen profile image61
    JezDramaQueenposted 11 years ago

I first started writing little 4 lines poems when I was about 12 but most of them never made sense hmm but it was those poems that made me realise I liked writing poems and stories smile xx

1. Docmo profile image92

from little acorns...

15. unvrso profile image83
    unvrsoposted 11 years ago

I started my first six hundred words piece of work during a weekend camping trip to the mountains. While in the mountains, I found myself in the middle of a lightning and thunderous storm, which did not let me do anything for three days.

Water kept pouring under my camping tent, causing me to stay awake during part of the night. The wind and the heavy rain, along with loud thunderous lightning inspired me to start writing one of my first stories about this event.

When I edited my piece of work, and analyzed everything that I had portrayed about my fears and concerns during my first night in the wild, as well as the ideas embodied from the senses, is what initiated me into the craft of writing.

This occurred eight years ago and I have continued writing since then. The piece of work I created was a narrative from my own experience.

1. Docmo profile image92

the immersive experience of capturing what we experience is a great training ground for writing...

16. Beata Stasak profile image77
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

My first writing has been done on my Grandmum's verandah when I was four. I have been bored as it was raining outside and I found my aunty's old handwriting schoolbook with various words she practised writing. I have copied them on a floor with a piece of chalk without having any idea what does it mean. I have created my first poem and my Grandmum kept it there until the house was demolished by communists two years later:

Rain comes
    rain goes
    but you are here
    and I am too

1. Docmo profile image92

what a beautiful poem ... it still works...

17. PseudoMcCoy profile image60
    PseudoMcCoyposted 11 years ago

Well, if my memory serves me right, it was way back in 2006 when I was in 8th standard. It was a poem inspired from Dream Theater's album, "Falling into infinity"; In fact I had luck first time around itself, as that ended up getting published in our school's annual Magazine "Mystique". I was elated. Truth be told,I wrote that poem in one shot, as my stream of consciousness flowed, and had a different notion in mind, but my teachers, parents , few friends (Who were thankfully un-cool  to read it) had their own interpretation.

1. Docmo profile image92

Always nice to get one's  first work recognised... Well done!

18. Emanate Presence profile image69
    Emanate Presenceposted 11 years ago

Thank you for asking your question!

My warmest memories are from high school. In 1970-71, I was on the staff of the school newspaper, 'Spilled Ink.' The English teacher who sponsored the newspaper arranged for me to interview Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, the founder of Transcendental Meditation and guru of the Beatles.

In the middle of a Colorado winter snowstorm, with three other students, I drove from our foothills college town to a log cabin in Rocky Mountain National Park where I did the interview, sitting across a coffee table from Maharishi, brown-skinned and in his flowing white robe, and asked him questions about using the mantras I knew from my practice of Japanese Buddhism and reading of Tibetan mysticism. My write-up of the interview was a significant piece for me. Another was, as editor of the high school literary magazine, Myriad, when I wrote prose titled "The Universe is You." Forty years later, I still come back to lines such as,

"How am i different from this tree,
    from the blades of grass on the lawn,
    the stars in the heaven above?
    Why do i have a border
    why do my molecules not
    blend with the air
    Why is there always me and it? -
    my essence apart from all other existence
    where do my thoughts come from?...."

1. Docmo profile image92

A great experience and memory.  A profound thought expressed in those words too... A born talent!

19. Daisy Mariposa profile image74
    Daisy Mariposaposted 11 years ago

Docmo (Mohan),

In third grade—when I was eight years old—we had an assignment to write an essay about spending a winter holiday with family. I didn’t write an essay. I wrote a play—with dialogue, staging, costuming, etc.

Much to my embarrassment—remember, I was only eight—my teacher called me up to the front of the classroom one day, and announced that my play was going to be presented in the auditorium to the entire school (first through eighth grades).

Perhaps this is what got me interested in writing about the performing arts.

1. Docmo profile image92

awesome. Must have been a special moment.

20. Deepak Chaturvedi profile image62
    Deepak Chaturvediposted 11 years ago

Yea,first experience was excellent I wrote a poem when I was in 12th standard.Next day I sent to a national, famous magazine and within a month got acceptance and got publised.That poem was on life of metro.

1. Docmo profile image92

well done!

21. profile image0
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 11 years ago

Docmo,

The first thing I ever wrote was an article for the school newspaper in high school. I have since gone on to write, radio copy, theater reviews,publicity materials, speeches, magazine and newspaper articles, and net articles.

Lisa

22. bravewarrior profile image86
    bravewarriorposted 11 years ago

In 6th grade Catholic School, we were challenged to write a spoof on the TV show Dragnet.  My story's characters were a dollar bill, a sneaker, baseball bat and a garbage can.  I got an A+ on my story.   I no longer have the composition book in which I wrote the the assignment.  Oh, how I wish I could read that story again!  It would be posted here on HP with all the imperfections of a new writer!

23. krillco profile image87
    krillcoposted 11 years ago

Sixth grade, a poem about 'knights of old'...wish I still had the poem!

24. CrazedNovelist profile image85
    CrazedNovelistposted 11 years ago

Back in 2006 is really when I started writing fiction. I was writing poetry and pieces of stories and eventually began writing my first novel. It kinda crept up on me. It was summer fling, but then it grew to an immense love that I to this day haven't forgotten. I completed essays, newspaper articles, and my first book by the end of 2006. I love it. smile awesome question, Docmo.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)