What is the best way to end a relationship that you feel is weighing you down?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (33 posts)
  1. cuttler profile image60
    cuttlerposted 11 years ago

What is the best way to end a relationship that you feel is weighing you down?

Have you ever felt stuck in a relationship and the only way out is the hard way? How would you go about ending such a relationship?

2. ronhi profile image66
    ronhiposted 11 years ago

Am following this question because i need the answer too!

cuttlerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The answers here are just amazing. Its just great how HP provides us with more than a writing platform but also some form of social meeting place.

2. lupine profile image65
      lupineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

ronhi - There is lot's of good advise here. Don't make it any harder for yourself or the person you want to break-up with. You will have to be strong and polite. Maybe they want to break-up to, but can't do it either.

3. Stina Caxe profile image81
    Stina Caxeposted 11 years ago

Well if you are my ex then apparently you don't speak to the person for two weeks while they worry about you and then you send an email saying you can't do this anymore and need to move on.

I think the best way is probably to just straight up tell the person you are with that you don't feel happy in this relationship anymore and you think it would be better on the both of you if you split up.

I once tried breaking up with someone over email and it did not go down well. I think your second suggestion is much better, though it is the hardest coz then one has to deal with the tears and heartbreak firsthand. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

My friend it is so hard to hurt someone. One of the hardest things to do. I would take the noble route and just be totally honest. It's not going to be easy, but in the long run it will be better for both of you. Good luck my friend!

Tell me about it...the worst part of it is coming out as the bad guy...but it's for the best. No point living a lie, right?

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly my friend. That is not healthy for either of you.

5. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

You have to be honest and have a tough conversation.  Tell the person that you feel you are just not compatible and that you feel it would be best to move on and explore other possibilities.  Wish them happiness and work to be amicable about it.  I would suggest honesty, be kind but direct.  "I'm sorry, but this relationship is not working for me because of ___________"

It may be painful, but not doing the right thing or just leaving the person to wonder is even more painful.  Best to do it the right way so that both parties are able to move forward in the best way possible.

The right way....always the hard way...but the best way. Am still summing up enough strength to do it and I totally agree with you that honesty is the right way to go...hard, but right. Thanks for sharing you thoughts.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Honesty really is the best policy.  While is it hard, and very uncomfortable, it has to be done.  Don't take the cowardly route and say the standard, it's not you, it's me.

Sit down, tell them you are grateful for the good times but your feelings have changed and to be fair to everyone, you need to move on. Look them right in the eyes, take their hand and tell them the absolute truth.

You will both - eventually - be better for it.

Thanks Duffsmom...always hard to break up with someone but sometimes it is for the better....thanks again for your suggestion...I highly appreciate it

7. dashingscorpio profile image82
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

The simple answer is you need to end the relationship. Life is too short to be wasting your time as well as your mate's time.
    Among the reasons why people delay ending relationships is because they don't want to come off as being "the bad guy". The truth is nobody laughs when they get dumped! Therefore stop worrrying about how (you) may look.
    Another reason is they are waiting for a "good or right" time to break the news. There's nothing like feeling great and having someone burst your balloon. There never is a "perfect time" to shock someone with a breakup!
    Essentially the first thing you need to do is anticiapte how the person might react to the news. Too often people have been physically hurt or killed because of a breakup. No one believes it could happen to them. Men in particular do not consider it a possibility. See what happened to Travis Alexander. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … hower.html
    The next thing is be prepared to be (done and gone) after the conversation. In other words if you have stuff at your mate's place you want to either gradually remove it or box everything up  and load it into your car before having the conversation. If you have things of theirs make sure you bring them. It's best to breakup at their place for two reasons. 1. After you say what needs to be said you can leave. 2. You don't want to force them to drive home or wherever while upset.
    Keep the conversation short and to the point. Do NOT send any mixed signals such as trying to comfort the person or offer the "instant friendship" life line. Exes need time apart before they can become true platonic friends.
    Don't get sucked into a "blame game" or heated argument. If you truly have made up your mind there is nothing to fight about.
    Be honest: "I have given this a lot of thought and I've decided it's best that I move on." Expect to be asked "Why?" There is no answer you could give that would put a smile on their face or cause them to believe you made the "right decision". The only real answer to the (why) question is "I'm not happy being in this relationship." Their goal is to get you to list some reasons so they can tell you how they will "change" or offer ways to make the relationship work.
    Expect to be accused of "cheating". No one wants to believe they were dumped without something underhanded taking place. Stick to your guns and say good-bye.

This is truly great advice. Thank you for taking your time for this. I have taken into what u have shared and I think I can avoid a bad scenario by following most of your advice. This answer is a gem. Thank you for sharing

2. dashingscorpio profile image82
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cuttler, You're welcome! Best of luck!

8. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
    ReneeDC1979posted 11 years ago

I would say end it.  You have to do it sometime.    Why keep putting yourself through agony, pain, sadness, hurt, whatever your feelings for the sake of sparing the other person?  You have to be happy also.  Sometimes we hold on hoping things will change.  Sometimes we hold on for the fear of being alone.  Sometimes we hold on because of the fear of the unknown (how will they react?, will I regret it later?, now what?)  But, you have to come to grips with the fact that the relationship has changed and it may not get better - it may only get worse.  Put on your grown-up pants and have a healthy adult talk with the other person.  Let them know how you feel and move on.  I read a fellow hubbers advice on relationships and a great line of advice she gave was tell the other person, "I am not the right person for you."  That way you take the blame off of them and change the situation to we need to find the right person for us.  And don't worry, it will be okay.

Thanks Renee...my only hope is that we can leave it on good terms of understanding and mutual respect towards each other. Actually the questions you mentioned have been running in my mind but I think its about time I stood my ground. Thanks again

2. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
      ReneeDC1979posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Anytime.  Believe me, I've asked myself those a few times.  I think that is why it was so easy to answer the question.  I wish you well, whatever your decision.

9. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

I had a similar situation where I thought the situation was already over. He had moved away, we "lost" touch, problem solved. Then he moved back a few years later. I'd considered telling him to leave me alone and came very close on a few occasions. But the best way is to almost whipe yourself off the map. This isn't usually possible if that person is someone you constantly see at work, church, or school. But it's easy to block someone on facebook and block all their calls, yet harder to stay away from their social groups.

Thanks Iburmaster...I just hate to think of how it would be if I broke up with her only for her to bump into her everyday at work. Lucky for me we are worlds apart and I can easily go off grid from her and wait it out. Thanks again

10. lupine profile image65
    lupineposted 11 years ago

The best way to do anything, in this case, end a relationship, is JUST DO IT! Don't think of it as "hard", it is hard for you to keep thinking about it. Just tell yourself it will be easy and you will feel better after. Just be to the point and do it calmly, don't be rude to the other person either...if you are ending the relationship, you are beyond any further detailed discussion. Good Luck!

Thanks. U have it up very well. I agree that I have been racking my brains too hard about this whole thing. It would so much easier if I just took the high road and ended it as it is. thanks again for sharing.

2. lupine profile image65
      lupineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

cuttler - you are very welcome! Did you ever think that maybe she no longer wants to be in a relaltionship, but doesn't know how to tell you?

11. CrescentSkies profile image63
    CrescentSkiesposted 11 years ago

"Sorry but I can't see you anymore, we're two different people and we're walking way different paths."

I guess I'd say something like this? But then again I lack all sense of tact so I might say it like

"It's not you it's me...I don't like you."

I guess you never know until it happens...I really hope I say the first one cause the second will make me feel like a total prick neutral

True, the dynamics of this situation can really change. One minute you are reading the breakup speech n before you know it the speech turns from breakup to reconciliation.

12. Escobana profile image75
    Escobanaposted 11 years ago

Ending a relationship is tough, period! I ended mine recently because it WAS weighing me down more than I could bare.

I'm talking about a long-distance relationship with someone who took his distance step by step. How to end such a relationship?

By Whatsapp! Seriously, because he never picked up his phone anymore. Was it the right way? No, but there is no right or wrong when you break up with someone, as long as you are honest and polite in your words.

More importantly is this....I feel I can breath again since I took the decision. I've released myself from the suffocating feeling I experienced, for having to suck up another failure and for having stepped away from total insecurity.

And breathing in all honesty my friend, is worth much more than getting stuck in any relationship. Life is too dam beautiful to see time ticking by in an unhappy relationship.

Good luck though. You're the only one who knows how and when.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I can't wait to get this heavy load off my back and breath a sigh of relief. For long I have feared what it will do to her but in the end I realised that if am not happy then I can't make her happy. Thanks again

2. Escobana profile image75
      Escobanaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're very welcome. I really hope you'll be able to breath a sigh of relief as soon as possible....

13. lovish09 profile image58
    lovish09posted 11 years ago

Nothing can get better if both male and female try, understand and respect the circumstances at that time but this is not what happens generally. Stop contacting the person , BLOCK him/her from social sites can be one of the best possible ways of NOT remembering him/her.

14. AbFreak101 profile image60
    AbFreak101posted 11 years ago

Send them a Text message on a late night out

15. platinumOwl4 profile image71
    platinumOwl4posted 11 years ago

The first question you must ask is why is this relationship weighting on you . Once you can answer that question, then you can have a lite lunch or dinner and present your case to the person in question. Constantly reminding yourself that the person in deeply involved in this relationship. He or she in a valuable gem you don't want to destroy them mentally or emotionally.

16. profile image54
    frumpletonposted 7 years ago

Well, if you have given this other person chances to change their ways and they still don't, then it's time to move on.  I was in a relationship for 22 years with a man who only worked one year.  I paid for everything.  (stupid me).  I finally got fed up when he wanted to smoke his dope and take a nap all the time and expect me to do all the other work.  I told him I was leaving.  He could come with me or not.  He chose to stay where we had been living in a logging camp.  No running water, or electricity.  I used to shovel a very long driveway by hand (unmaintained road) as well as the path to get water at the stream (which I had to lug) and to the outhouse.  You just have to give them a choice.  I loved him but couldn't live with him anymore.  Tell the person you are not satisfied with the way things are working out.  Give them a chance and if that fails, then say "Goodbye"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)