Childhood is the best stage of life. Do you agree?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (72 posts)
  1. devisree profile image62
    devisreeposted 11 years ago

Childhood is the best stage of life. Do you agree?

A stage Without worries ,Being cared and loved by parents and relatives is a memorable stage in life.

2. Ivan Ivanov profile image60
    Ivan Ivanovposted 11 years ago

I comlpetely agree ... When a person grows up they forgot the little things in live ... everything is concentrated either on career or family and loved ones ... There are always problems and grown ups just can't seem past them for a bit ... hmm//

I am really happy I am still sort-of a kid (19 years old) ... but the thing is I am in that phase where I need to grow up sad ... I hate it ... I have a great job (for months now) and going to work is fun and exciting for me, I have friends and we are going out and whatnot, but still I hate the fact I can just act silly and not think about life ...

devisreeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi  Ivan Ivanov
      Thanks for answering

3. Spongy0llama profile image82
    Spongy0llamaposted 11 years ago

I disagree. I would argue that the early twenties are the best stage of life because that is when one is at the physical and mental prime of life. It is also a wonderful stage where most people enjoy the independence of being an adult, but not as much responsibility as someone in his or her 30s and 40s and beyond. However, as a 23 year old, I am probably rather biased, lol.

Thanking you for  answering.Each one has his own experience.

4. Jeannieinabottle profile image90
    Jeannieinabottleposted 11 years ago

I am one of those rare people that prefers adulthood over childhood.  I like being responsible for myself and not following my parents' rules.  I never really enjoyed being a child; some people say I was born old.  I always wanted to be with adults and not deal with children.  I found them to be immature. 

I am quite happy to be an adult now and live how I want to live.  I am able to plan out everything I want in life and I only have myself to blame if I don't succeed.  I just prefer it that way.

Thanks  Jeannieinabottle for stopping by and responding.Happy to read  your feelings.

5. hecate-horus profile image62
    hecate-horusposted 11 years ago

Nope.  In my case, I don't agree.  I grew up lonely, awkward, and picked on.  Yes my parents loved me and I have good memories, but the memories I'm making now (with my kids)are MUCH better.  I'm in the best stage of life in my 40's!

Thanks for commenting  Each one has his own opinion  Happy to see your comment

6. Gina145 profile image69
    Gina145posted 11 years ago

I don't think it's possible to generalize on something like this. I'm sure that there are many people for whom it is true. But some people really have miserable childhoods due to abuse or bullying, and with a lot of work may finally find happiness in adulthood.
    In truth I'd like to believe it is false because I hate the idea that the best part of one's life is over so early and that we spend the rest of it wishing we could return to a better time.

Thanks  Gina145 for your answer.

7. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

No, not for me it wasn't. It was full of misery and pain.

1. Express10 profile image85
      Express10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Many people are in this boat, including myself. Due to this I find it better to think about the past good times and the current good times no matter if they occurred in your teens, twenties, or older.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree Express.

3. devisree profile image62

Hi JThomp42  Thanks for answering.Life is a mixture of hppiness and sorrows.To overcome this I think   live in the present  with trust in god is the best method.

4. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, for that is what I do.

5. fpherj48 profile image62
      fpherj48posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It truly breaks my heart to hear someone tell of a sad, lonely or miserable childhood.  Not only do I realize how very blessed my sister and I were.....I get this urge to take all parents by the shoulders and shake them silly!!

6. Laura Schneider profile image85
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

JT, you'll not be surprised to hear me agree, and to wish that our childhoods had been better. In my case it was not my parents' fault--there's nothing you can do, after a point, about some problems that caused, in my case, misery and pain. Peace!

8. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 11 years ago

Totally disagree - I think the best time of life is the stage at which we find ourselves warts and all.  I have not had a perfect life by any means but I know the trials and tribulations have created the me I am today and I am very happy in my mid fifties.  My mum at 80 had a date and that made me happy too:-)

1. Nellieanna profile image68
      Nellieannaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ditto that answer!  The moment that's being lived NOW is the best.  Regretting or reliving any past times or anticipating any future ones is wasting the NOW at one's disposal.  At 81 in about a week, I'm fully alive & going! No 2nd childhood for

2. devisree profile image62

Hi Lizam1,
          Happy to read your response.

9. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 11 years ago

I agree on your points here of why childhood years would be the best stage, and one should live those years to the fullest. The years one would never get back.

Hi DDE  Thnaks for stopping by.
      The years would not come back but the memories?

10. pstraubie48 profile image80
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

No I do not really think I agree with that.
    There were times in childhood when I had the greatest sadness. And it seemed to cause me to grieve more than I would now as an adult. My  ability to understand the death of my precious sister who I adored, the death of my grandmother who I barely got to know at all, the death of many pets I loved...all happened in my youth. It did not scar me for life or anything as my life is full of joy thank goodness. And yes I had loving parents who sheltered me from many things so that too was a cushion for me.
    I also had an idyllic childhood in many ways but to single out childhood as the best stage I cannot do.
    I thought having my daughter was the best stage ....and it WAS AND IS amazing. I cannot say enough about her and have written about her in many hubs. And just when I thought I could not love anyone as much ....
    another stage came along....my grandson in 1995 and the earth stood still...what a wondrous creature he is...and then in 2010 another grandson, never supposed to be on the planet...wow...how could I stand it??? So much love.
    So you see it is difficult for me to single out my childhood as wonderful as it was as the best...
    the best was yet to come...Great question...

Thanks for stopping by and responding.
      Yes,A lot of events had happened and will happen through out our life which makes us happy or sad. We should realize the fact that life is a mixture of these two feelings. Once again thanking you for open answer

11. Escobana profile image76
    Escobanaposted 11 years ago

Absolutely not!

I prefer my thirties over any stage in life because I can finally breathe on my own and get rid of the weight I felt, throughout most of my life before landing on the soft spot of my happy life in Spain.

Hi Escobana Thanks for stopping by and for the surprising answer.

2. Escobana profile image76
      Escobanaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're very welcome:-)

12. Alecia Murphy profile image71
    Alecia Murphyposted 11 years ago

I think it depends on your perspective. I love how childhood gave me a chance to explore life and learn without being tainted by expectations but like alot of others, I experienced deep hurt and learned of how hard life is. But that being said, I wouldn't take it back because it helped me come this far in my life.

Thanks for answering

13. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

It is a nice time without the stress adults have but at 47 I am having an amazing time now . I loved the family time having 3 girls growing up as well . Now I am remarried & having a lot of fun !

Glad to know about your opinion.Best wishes.

2. devisree profile image62

Hi  freecampingaussie
      Glad to know about you .All the best.

14. dksuttle profile image75
    dksuttleposted 11 years ago

Twenty years ago I would have said a resounding yes, but today I am 67 and I must tell you that this is the best time of my life.

Happy to see your answer  dksuttle,   Live in the present and enjoy life Best wishes

15. Pamela99 profile image90
    Pamela99posted 11 years ago

My childhood was not wonderful either, although I did like it better when I was in high school but not at home. I liked the mid-twenties and thirties the best. Older now and have some health problems, or I might like this time the best. It is simpler in many ways.

Thanks for sharing your opinion

16. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 11 years ago

No. Being an adult lets you call the shots. You have the freedom to do whatever you want. There is a lot more you can do as an adult. You don't have to answer to anybody. You are the boss!

1. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen! :-)

17. agilitymach profile image92
    agilitymachposted 11 years ago

I disagree as well.  My feeling is that every stage in life is great, and there isn't a "best."  I'm almost 50 now, and each stage has had it's wonders and glories.  They've each had their cons too, even childhood.

No, I always feel I'm living the "best" years as I'm living them. My life right now is awesome.  A life spent thinking the best is behind you is a life spent lost in the past.

Thanks for your comment.

18. bizzymom profile image62
    bizzymomposted 11 years ago

I do not think any stage of life is the best.  Each stage of life has its own wonderful qualities.  It is what you make of each stage that makes it the best.

Thanks for the response.Your point of view is correct

19. fpherj48 profile image62
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

The "best" stage of life, is the one we are currently in....whatever stage it is.  We can do nothing to stop time from passing or our selves,  from growing older.   Each stage is meant to be lived to the fullest, enjoyed and create growth and wisdom.
    As we complete one stage in life, we move on to the next and the flow is natural, and comfortable, for this is what nature intends.
    We experience the goodness and the tragedies.......successes and failures, as we move along through each and every stage. 
    While childhood can be wonderful for many...it can be horrific and filled with pain for others......in either case, it is good to move on, from too much happiness or too much sadness.  The mysteries that are before us, can be the leveling stage, to teach us balance.
    With each stage, there are lessons to be learned....and we should always love to gain in knowledge.....to reach our spiritual greatness.
    Whatever stage we are in at the present time, is exactly where we should be...for it is precisely how the Universe creates complete human beings.

Thanks fpherj48 for the detailed answer.As you said live in the present is the best way to enjoy life.

2. Laura Schneider profile image85
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

fpherj48, you sound like Emanate Presence (this is not a bad thing). I agree with you, and that song lyric from the '60s, "Sha-la-la-la-la-la live for today."

20. That Grrl profile image71
    That Grrlposted 11 years ago

Childhood is a time when you can't make most of your own choices. If you are wishing for childhood, or think that was the best time of your life you must be feeling overburdened with troubles now. Either you really are going through a hard time, or you are very pessimistic and negative and can't see the good things in your life.

Thanks That Grrl for stopping by and commenting,

21. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

No not at all. I had worries, fears and no power to make it better. Being an adult when things happen I don't like I can take action - as a kid I could only watch horrible things unfold.

Thanks for responding

22. lupine profile image65
    lupineposted 11 years ago

Only if you have the best parents and family ever! If you are well cared for, loved, protected, fed right, taught good values, observed good values and honesty...then I would say yes! Unfortunately, today with both parents working, children are raised by other people and don't feel the love and care that they should.

Hi lupine,
      Thanks for stopping by. As you said in this mechanical life how the parents can care their child properly if they both are working?

23. livenlearn87 profile image69
    livenlearn87posted 11 years ago

It all depends on the type of childhood a person had.. I believe it should be a very wonderful time;unfortunately, some children don't get the experience you described with love and no worries. For some children, childhood is a time they wish they could forget... It's sad because ever child deserves a loving and carefree childhood, and it seems rather unfair that sometimes children are robbed of that..

Thanks for   sharing your thoughts . I agree with you  livenlearn87.

24. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

i agree because when i was young , my mom and grandmom always pampered me and my brother. When i reached adulthood, i had many worries and had to work 3 different jobs per day to supply income for my family, my bro's education, his car and house installment. Frankly speaking, i don't have any savings at all. All the money I earned goes to the family. Hence, childhood days were my best stage of life.

Hi  peachpurple
      Thanks for opening your views.

25. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

Not for me! I couldn't wait to become an adult and make my own choices and decisions in life. I welcomed the responsibilities that came with freedom. I've always hated being "told" what to do and feeling "powerless". I'm a big fan of "It's your life. Take the wheel!"

Hi dashingscorpio,
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting

26. Hendrika profile image67
    Hendrikaposted 11 years ago

I have to say I also did not really enjoy childhood. I do not enjoy being dependant on others for my life from day to day.

Another problem is that parents make terrible mistakes, I know I did with bringing up my children!

So, no I prefer adulthood

Hi  Hendrika 
      Thanks for answering.

27. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 11 years ago

That is a hard call, but  would have to say yes.
    I had an incredibly wonderful childhood the kind that psychologists love to say nobody had. I have a wonderful family and lived in wonderful places. I come from a farming family so I have that connection to nature and since we lived next to a national forest my back yard as far as the eye can see and then some. But we lived near a large town and not all that far from Los Angeles so we had all of the advantages of the city.
    My teenage years were also great up till I was 19 when I had a terrible industrial accident. Due to that the thing I remember most about my early 20s was pain.
    Life was great in my 30s so they would be in contention. I had my own business and more hobbies than time, but sufficient time for my hobbies.

Of course there isn't much point in wanting anything other than today I would say that things are good for me now, but far more worrisome than those happiest times. I still look forward to tomorrow and if I die in my sleep I had a damn good run.

Thanks  Borsia  for your response.Face the life with courage.God will do the rest.

28. jennshealthstore profile image80
    jennshealthstoreposted 11 years ago

I would not say it would be the best stage but an important stage. Every stage in life gets us to the next level. Every stage leaves us memories, good and bad and allows us to become the person who we are now.  If you think back to when you were a child you might say you had no worries, but you probably did not think that when you were a child. We did have worries as children, though if we look back at them now they seem like nothing compared to what we are faced with as adults, but back then to us as kids they seemed liked a big deal.

Thanks for commenting

29. Annie Miller profile image65
    Annie Millerposted 11 years ago

As a child, I couldn't wait to be a 'grown-up'. I imagined all the freedom I would have and no one but me to answer to. Adulthood isn't what I had imagined ... it's much better. With every decade things have gotten better; I have more confidence because I know who I am and what I want.
    My childhood shaped the adult I turned out to be and I am grateful for that, but I would never want to go back and relive that time ... for anything!
    Great question, devisree!

Thanks Annie Miller  for your great response.

30. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

Childhood is just one of the stages in life we all have to get through, for some it is more pleasant than for others but we all, with passing years tend to idolize our starting points in life...if for nothing else just for the assurance that whatever happens to us further in life, there was a time we have blissfuly unaware of what to expect....now we know....

31. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

In an ideal world childhood would be exactly as you've described.  The cold reality is that there are millions of children who do not experience what you've idealized.  For them, they experience abandonment, cruelty, a lack of love, perhaps physical and sexual abuse, starvation, war, etc. etc.     Perhaps one day we can reach the ideal of which you post here.

HI  Denise Handlon,
      Thanks for going through.I totally agree with you.We  should remember the fact that there are a lot of children in this world to who had threatening  childhood dreams .

32. LensMan999 profile image58
    LensMan999posted 10 years ago

Yes, I completely agree with it. It is the period of life that is enjoyed by most of the people.
    But for me it was not so. I lost my mother at a very young age and I don't know why I always felt very lonely. I have heard many of my friends say that childhood days were the golden period of their life. So I think it's true in most of the cases.

33. Laura Schneider profile image85
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

I think it really varies for different people (I haven't read any of the other answers, so I don't know if I'm repeating someone or not).

For me, as a child I was powerless, helpless, and at the mercy of life and biology. I was dreadfully sick almost all of the time, with severe allergies and asthma from a very young age.

As an adult, even when I do get the sniffles as the seasons change I am not powerless: I can drive to the pharmacy for some allergy medicine which I can pay for with money I earned myself from a job I got based on a college degree I earned through hard work and paid for through hard work of a different sort.

I have many fond memories of my very early childhood (pre-Kindergarten), but only about the same number of fond memories of my K-12 years. It wasn't until college that life started getting worthwhile.

To date, my greatest accomplishment is still surviving childhood's many arrows.

Through it all, however, I was cared for and loved by parents and "unofficially adopted" relatives, that much is very true. Some things just can't be fixed with love.

34. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9207721_f260.jpg

It all depends.  For affluent children, childhood is indeed the best stage of life.  Such children grow up in comfort and have the best of opportunities.  They have a childhood which they can travel and participate in cultural and intellectual activities. They have more that just the rudiments, they are in an environment where they can thrive and be at their best.  Their parents have the means in which they can be loved and nurtured as their parents do not have socioeconomic worries which preclude them from being loving, nurturing, and caring parents.

For poor children, childhood is highly tenuous, if not precarious.  Their environment is unstable because they do not know where their next meal will came from, if bills are going to be paid, or even if they will have a roof over their heads.  Their environments are stressful to say the least.  Many of them will have to assume adult responsibilities early because of their parents' impoverished conditions.  Poor children do not have a childhood in the strictest sense.  They are adults early and must be because that is required of them by their parents.  Poor children oftentimes have to work in childhood to supplement familial income or to get the things that other children have.

For children who grow up in stable and loving homes, childhood can be the best stage of life.  Such children have the support to enable them to feel worthwhile.  They also feel that they have a psychological anchor in their parents and the other caring adults who surround them.  Conversely, childhood can be quite hellish on children in unstable and unloving, even abusive homes.  Such children have no bases for security and must develop a tough, outer armor in order to survive their harsh environment.  To them, childhood is quite an arduous, uphill process of survival.

For children who grew up with parents who valued and encouraged their individuality and independence, childhood can be a wonderful time of life.  They are viewed by their parents as humans and are accorded the utmost respect to develop and flourish as independent people.   They are allowed to explore and make mistakes.  They are allowed a familial voice and a sense of power and ownership over their young lives.  For those reared in authoritarian homes, childhood is a time of powerlessness.  They have no voice nor say as to how they should feel, be, or act.  They are subjected to their parents' rules and dictates.  Many of them see adulthood as a time for freedom.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)