How do you learn to listen to your inner voice?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (30 posts)
  1. xanzacow profile image60
    xanzacowposted 11 years ago

How do you learn to listen to your inner voice?

My inner voice, or conscience, or intuition, or whatever it is, tells me to do things sometimes. When I listen and follow through, it is usually a good outcome. More than not, though, I tend to ignore it. How can I learn to pay more attention to it?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

I call it my "gut feeling." Anytime I have ignored it, I have failed. So, now I always listen to it. It is normally never wrong.

1. lone77star profile image74
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That "gut feeling" -- the still, quiet voice, within -- is the true self, the child of God -- the immortal soul.

2. xanzacow profile image60
      xanzacowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mine is usually correct also. Thanks JT.

3. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome xanzacow.

3. ii3rittles profile image78
    ii3rittlesposted 11 years ago

Everyone has an intuition. Most people don't know how to use it to help them in life. Its usually a feeling that  something is happening/is going to happen prior to having evidence or truth in the matter. The best way to learn to listen to it, is not doubt your own heart. When you learn not to doubt your heart, life will become easier. You can't trust your mind because it wonders... Only listen to your heart, that is where truth and love rest.

I think this is more on the lines of what I am talking about. Just a moment ago, I was thinking about my 6 year old who is in school. One of those "longing" thoughts. Then the phone rang and it was the school nurse. He is okay, but it was odd.

4. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

I got bummer news for you. I say of meditation, mindfulness and self awareness that you get the good news and the bad news: The good news is that we are sensitive to all that is around and in us; the bad news is that we are sensitive to all that is around and in us.

You merely block out all but inner voice for minutes graduating to hours a day. Like working out, you build muscle memory to get there. Gradually it will take a priority in your "senses" if you want it to. Going with your gut, means that you are also empowering your "gut" to feel what is around you. Normally quite good. But I have at times been "blissing out" and walk into other folks space and been nearly knocked breathless by the angst atmosphere.
    This is a two edge sword my friend, tread wisely and consult some you respect.
    Remember also that this feeling inside is more primitive and will more closely have attributes of Fight or Flight.
    So you can learn quickly by practice, but it should be slow for defense reasons.

Fight or flight. That is a common instinct of mine. Usually for what seems to be no reason at all. I just chalk it up to anxiety. Something else?

5. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

I pray silently daily and listen to my inner self as it helps in my daily life. It is a matter of practice daily where you can do meditation or prayer. You will be able to hear your inner thought.

Thank you edhan!

2. manatita44 profile image70
      manatita44posted 11 years agoin reply to this

To: Xanzacow. Continuing... When nature is calm in the early morning hours. Pray for focus then sit and listen. Use an object, a candle and flame or visualise beauty inside your heart. Breathe out restlessness, breathe in peace. Do this every day x2.

6. lone77star profile image74
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

The inner voice is the true self (immortal soul, Holy Spirit, Holy Ghost, child of God), within. This is the invulnerable self that we need to wake up.

The other "self" is false -- ego. This is the vulnerable self, sometimes victim, sometimes perpetrator. Ego is all about selfishness.

The true self -- the quiet, still voice within -- is all about love and helping others.

How can you learn to pay more attention to it? You've already started by being "aware." Awareness is key.

Learn to be aware of your feelings and attitudes. Learn to distinguish between selfish attitudes and generous ones -- not publicly generous (for that is selfish), but anonymously generous. You can be "anonymously" generous in public; it all has to do with spiritual attitude.

The antidote to ego is humility. Help others before yourself. Be of service to others. And as you do these things, be aware of your thoughts and feelings. Never hide from any of them, even the darkest. Just shine a light on them and turn your back on the negative, just as Yehoshua turned his back on the devil.

Sometimes, paying attention to current feelings and following them back to earlier thoughts, attitudes and feelings can open up greater awareness. Thoughts and attitudes can block awareness. Practicing awareness can blow those barriers away. Like Yehoshua said, know the truth and the truth will set you free. If you ever have a problem and think you have the truth (reason) behind it, you need only look if the problem persists. If it does, you haven't found the truth of it. It's that simple.

Good advice, thank you

7. CrescentSkies profile image63
    CrescentSkiesposted 11 years ago

I don'y really have an inner voice, just gut feelings whenever I'm about to do something right or wrong (by my own moral code naturally).

...on a side note if your inner voice is actively telling you to do things...er...seek help immediately.

Don't worry, not like that CrescentSkies, more like a feeling or a knowing rather than an actual "voice".

8. dghbrh profile image81
    dghbrhposted 11 years ago

When my heart fills with pure happiness about something that is little confusing whether to go ahead about it or not then I know its my inner voice and I must go ahead. Instead if heart is not happy and little confusing then its the negative signal my inner soul is coming up with whatever it is. Thus i always follow my inner self to walk ahead whichever way in this simplest norm. I don not know if it works like this for others as well. But till now I am happy the way my inner self is taking me in this journey called life here in this world. Thank you.

Interesting. I will see if this happens when my next big decision comes up.

2. dghbrh profile image81
      dghbrhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most welcome and hope you can experience this simple way to hear your inner voice.

9. manatita44 profile image70
    manatita44posted 11 years ago

It will get stronger with prayer, followed by silent prayer or meditation. Do this regularly for three months accompanied by selfless service. That is to say, help someone or others without expectation. Practice regularly, punctually and consistently in the early hours of every morning and every night. Do this for some time and intuition will come to you.
    Remember, harness the energy through 'concentration' (The ability to focus on a point to the exclusion of all else). Then all these energies will encourage the mind to fall vacant or still. This then opens you up to receiving God's Light, which is what will make you intuitive. Remember that we may sometimes get it wrong. A good intuition comes suddenly and when decisions are made, it leaves us with an inner thrill or feelings of joy. Come back to me with any questions.

I have never been able to meditate. Maybe that is a problem for me.

2. manatita44 profile image70

No, my Friend. That is a defeatest approach. An active mind does create barriers, however. So run, swim, cycle, do selfless service. They would all help to calm the mind. Practice breathing; listen to music, do hatha yoga. Sit to meditate when nat...

10. profile image53
    rameschgfposted 11 years ago

BY STOPPING TO LISTEN TO OUTER VOICES-"-SHUT YOUR EYES-MOUTH-EARS-SIT STILL-BREATHE SLOWLY-LISTEN INSIDE YOUR HEAD THE SOUNDS-THE VOICES GOING ON INSIDE THERE-"

I can't hear it because you are screaming so loud! LOL wink

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi xanzacow, I have told him this several times. I really hate to, but I will have to start deleting his answers if he continues to "scream."

3. xanzacow profile image60

@JT--LOL I have never seen rameschgf before, I thought it was an accident!

4. manatita44 profile image70

My friend, rameschgf,
      I believe that you have been told in different ways about this BOLD writing. It is also hurtful to my eyes. Kindly use underscore like everyone else. Is there a reason why you do this?

11. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I'd say to remind yourself of all those times when you DIDN'T listen to it that resulted in disastrous outcomes.

12. profile image53
    NikkiTalkzposted 11 years ago

Have you been let down or suffered a loss in result to not listening up to these "inner thoughts?" If your intuitions are typically on point when guiding you, then perhaps it is time to start paying more attention! Knowing how rests on your ability to trust yourself; follow your heart, or your gut in this case. Instincts, at times, can prove more helpful than logic. Now don't go throwing all reason out just yet; it is wisest to utilize these inner voices appropriately, for instance, at times when another person's, or your own, safety is at stake, and when feelings are involved. If something inside of you is trying hard to get your attention then let go of any apprehension you hold and address the feeling that might save your life, or your relationship, or even from wasting any more time at a dead end job you hate. Take a leap of faith, you just might surprise yourself!

13. profile image52
    linny milposted 11 years ago

I agree with other comments here that your inner voice is your heart talking, "a feeling" or intuition.  It always knows what to do and what's best for you.  Meditation is a good one for tapping into that inner voice or God, which I had never thought of it that way.  Meditation quiets the mind and blocks out everything and the aim is to think about NOTHING except your own breathing.  It's true your inner voice never lets you down if you listen to it.  I guess that is why I have failed in the past to do someting such as get out of a bad relationship, because I didn't listen to my heart.  I thought it was a negative to divorce but by the time I finally did, my inner voice was SCREAMING at me to do it...... or die inside.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)