Pre marital sex - help with a verse, or what does your Holy Book say?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (63 posts)
  1. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 10 years ago

Pre marital sex - help with a verse, or what does your Holy Book say?

I'm looking for the verse/s that speak of sex outside of marriage - I am aware of the verses in Leviticus on sexual practices, but I was wonder if there is a New Testament one or two about this. I'm not looking to debate them, I'm actually in the middle of a project where I need to discuss them specifically (eg NAME verses) so would appreciate your help.
    I'm also interested in what other religions may say about pre-marital sex - and verses in their Holy Book. This will be helpful also!. Thanks in advance

2. irenemaria profile image60
    irenemariaposted 10 years ago

(Genesis 2:24) . . .That is why a man will leave his father and his mother and he must stick to his WIFE and they must become one flesh. . .
    (Hebrews 13:4) . . .Let marriage be honorable among all, and the marriage bed be without defilement, for God will judge fornicators and adulterers.
    (Matthew 19:9) . . .I say to YOU that whoever divorces his wife, except on the ground of fornication, and marries another commits adultery. . .

1. cloverleaffarm profile image69
      cloverleaffarmposted 10 years agoin reply to this

These verses have nothing about pre-marital sex.

2. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Irene - thank you, these will be helpful also.
      Clover - nevertheless, they are helpful in regards to marriage in general.

3. yupperclub profile image60
      yupperclubposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well God Bless your findings...I almost MARRIED an ADULTERER!  Do you think there is anything about that?!  Thank God I threw back the ring and left him...even though it broke my heart.

4. Lady Guinevere profile image67
      Lady Guinevereposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Some terms, like Adulterer, are much different than what they are in that Bible.  Not everything is in that Bible!  LOTS have been taken out or left out.

5. profile image51
      abt79posted 10 years agoin reply to this

clover-fornication is another word for premarital sex, so this does have to do with it...

3. yupperclub profile image60
    yupperclubposted 10 years ago

I was raised Methodist...I do not recall the Church specifically stating whether pre-marital sex was taboo or not.  I was personally engaged in (more than one) pre-marital intimate relationship.  Although I was sincerely searching for love, many turned out to be just "rape" relationships.  Still unmarried, I have come to just write them off as leaning experiences.  At least I gained the benefit of learning how to satisfy a future husband - should that ever come to pass.  Now up in years, I have ceased that promiscuity out of total disinterest.  I am sure there are stricter religions.  Consult the Mormons.  I believe they more or less prohibit pre-marital sex and could probably direct you in the way you are searching for.  They would probably most definitely be able to recite you or inform you of the scriptures.

Yupperclub - thank you for your answer. I will see what the LDS have to say also. Perhaps it is in the Book of Joseph (I hope thats right), rather than the Bible

4. prasadjain profile image63
    prasadjainposted 10 years ago

Jainism doesn't permit either per-marietal sex or extra marital sex. In their samskrit text-'Ratna karanda Shravakachara'(Jewel box of conduct for householders), it is aid that a house holder should follow 'Brahmacharya' which, in the context of a householder means sincerity to one's wife or husband. Even thinking about other person in terms of sex is the breach of this oath of Brahmacharya.

Thank you for this Prasadjain - interesting to know (and a wonderful name for the text!)

5. vtwilli profile image80
    vtwilliposted 10 years ago

"Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and each woman have her own husband" 1 Corinthians 7 : 2

"but I say to the unmarried and to the widows: it is better to remain even as I am (he is speaking of abstinance) but if they cannot exercise self control let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion"
    1 Corinthians 7 : 8-9

"Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor drunkards, nor covetous, nor
    ...will inherit the kungdim of God"

1 Corinthians 6 :9 -10

Am I correct in assuming "fornicators" in this instance would be those who have carnal knowledge outside of marriage?

2. profile image51

Yes

3. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Oooo That is Paul's writing which goes right against that of what Jesus taught.  Be care what you read from that man for he is not a Saint by any means. Read further and you will see why women are treated poorly today.

4. jlpark profile image79

Thanks Lady G - aware its Paul - being gay, Corinth is known well. It was merely as it answered the question best, not that it's what I actually believe.

5. Lady Guinevere profile image67

I know that.  The truth should be known though.  That was Paul's church not one the Jesus would have approved on.  He didn't like church or clergy teachings then and I doubt he would now.

6. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 10 years ago

In Buddhism, the governing teaching (there's no one book or numbered verses) is the third precept, which is, "Do not engage in sexual misconduct." Traditionally, in most cultures, "sexual misconduct" refers to any sex outside marriage.

This precept is not a rule, but a guideline to be honestly and intelligently applied by all individuals. The guiding precept is the purpose of Buddhism stated in the Four Noble Truths, to live in ways that eliminate and prevent suffering, and do not cause it. This includes not lying or breaking vows (4th precept), and so, clearly, applying both, all extra-marital sex is disrecommended.

Is pre-marital sex harmful? That is the key question that would govern a contemporary decision on the Buddhist position. The traditional view is yes, sex is for a couple after marriage, and celibacy (for monks and nuns, lifelong) is the other option.

I am a member of the Order of Interbeing, which seeks to apply the ancient teachings in today's life. In our view, sexual activity, while wonderful, opens the door to unwanted pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases (STD), and much misunderstanding and emotional pain. Therefore, we do not engage in it without a commitment that is intended to be lifelong. So, if two people intend to marry, but are not yet married, plan to stay together for life, and take appropriate care in relation to pregnancy and STDs, then this would not be an error. This also applies to couples (such as same-sex couples in some places) who are committed to remaining a couple but are not able to be legally married.

7. Get Thin for Good profile image66
    Get Thin for Goodposted 10 years ago

Food is meant for the stomach and the stomach for food”—and God will destroy both one eand the other. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 1 Corinthians 6:13

Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. 1 Corinthians 6:18

I fear that when I come again my God may humble me before you, and I may have to mourn over many of those who sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality, and sensuality that they have practiced. 2 Corinthians 12:18

Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, Galatians 5:19

Etc. etc. The big thing is that we shoud try to deny our flesh, and sex before marriage is fleshly.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Thew Book was made to control the masses and their money, lives ect...  Anything written by St. Paul is a fraud because he was an impostor and many of his teachings to HIS churches were opposite of what Jesus taught.  Jesus was never in those church

8. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 10 years ago

I believe that they way the bible talks about the first two people placed on this planet bu a select group of people had sex to have children and RE-populate the Earth.  RE-POPULATE it???  They were not married to each other.  It states that they "knew" each other and were not married.  Marriage is a religious governmental thing.  For this reason I do believe that every single person that you have sex with, you are also married to them.  It doesn't matter if a church gave you a piece of paper or did some kind of ceremony to make it legal in THEIR eyes or in the eyes of some government.  That is my understanding from reading the Bible without quoting scriptures but understanding them as a whole and not sentence by sentence.

1. profile image0
      SandCastlesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Genesis 2:24   God made Eve for Adam; he didn't make Eve, Jenny, Sally and Sue for Adam, etc.  Man and wife are to be paired together to become one flesh; two people who are dedicated to each other. Solomon had many wives and it led to trouble.

2. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Sounds like a modern day revision of the Bible and not the truer version.

3. renegadetory profile image62
      renegadetoryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I disagree.  Marriage was created by God, as in a husband and wife.  Eve was the wife of Adam or else Gen 2:24 makes no sense.  The pomp and ceremony of marriages are man's design, but the institution itself is from God.

4. yupperclub profile image60

It is my understanding that a man can take a WHORE anytime.  That has nothing to do with a WIFE.  My question is can a WOMAN have more than one HUSBAND simultaneously - similar to KING with MANY WIVES.

5. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Gen 2:23 and the man saith, `This [is] the [proper] step! bone of my bone, and flesh of my flesh!' for this it is called Woman, for from a man hath this been taken... Are we ASSUMING this is a FEMALE?  Man said it not God.

6. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

If it is in the Bible, God said it.

7. Lady Guinevere profile image67

JT, I quoted from that book and that verse said that MAN said it but you be blind and can't read.  So be it!!

8. profile image0

I will not debate with you Lady. It is a total waste of time. Just pointing out a fact. Adam said this by the way.

9. Lady Guinevere profile image67

https://sites.google.com/site/rationale … f-mankind.  In the Beginning was the Word...
      JT, Thanks for not debating me.  Am I to assume that you will not harrass me with you attacks anymore and you won't follow me to do so?

9. Gcrhoads64 profile image91
    Gcrhoads64posted 10 years ago

A woman who has premarital sex should be stoned to death.
    Deuteronomy
    22:20 But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:
    22:21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die...

Also, if a woman does not cry for help during a rape she is to be stoned.

Death to the Rape Victim (Deuteronomy 22:23-24 NAB)

If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife.

1. cynthtggt profile image75
      cynthtggtposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and we ought to remember along with these statements that sex outside marriage during biblical times had the potential consequence of bringing death on the family and was regarded as a crime for the disease it would potentially cause.

2. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Like Incest?  Many were brought on by incest, especially Adam and Eve. Incest does a whole lot of damage to future generations.

3. jlpark profile image79

Thanks for this - I've actually managed to fit the rape verse into the project I am working on - it is more about a girl being cast out through the actions of another against her, but interpreted as 'premarital sex" so that verse worked!

10. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Hebrews 13:4
    Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

1 Corinthians 6:18
    Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.

1 Corinthians 7:2
    Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

1 Thessalonians 4:3
    For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:

Jude 1:7
    Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Thanks JT. These are helpful

2. profile image0

You are welcome.

11. blessedp profile image81
    blessedpposted 10 years ago

The Holy Bible is against sex outside of marriage, the act of fornication.
    Abstain from fornication
    Acts 15:20,29
    Acts 21:25
    1 Thessalonian 4:3

The body not for fornication
    1 Corinthians 6:13

Avoid fornication-Man own wife, woman own husband
    1 Corinthians 6:18

Marriage is honourable
    Hebrews 13:4

We are not born of fornication
    John 8:41

Works of the flesh are..fornication..
    Galatians 5:19

Let not fornication be named among you as saints
    Ephesians 5:3

Thanks!

12. Sparklea profile image60
    Sparkleaposted 10 years ago

jlpark: Several months ago I published a hub titled, "Why I Chose Not To Have Pre-marital Sex."  You may want to check it out.

I Corinthian 6:18 clearly states, "Flee Fornication."  Period.  Cut and dried.

Fornication is defined in the dictionary as sex outside of marriage.

Sex has become a sport.  It is no longer sacred.  When I was growing up, sex on the wedding night was the grand finale to the wedding.  Something wonderful to look forward to and to be cherished as the finality of manifesting a woman's love for her husband and a man's love for his wife.

NOW, TODAY, people go to bars to "hook up."  People are now in a 'relationship' with each other.  There is also the "3 date rule"...to have sex by the third date.

The result:  unwanted pregnancies; abortion; children out of wedlock; unfaithfulness; disrespect; Aids; HIV's; other sexual diseases; heartbreak; emotional guilt; emotional turmoil; hatred, lies, murder; adultery; the list goes on and on.

Sex is great, sex is fun; sex is needed...but between two people who love each other and are MARRIED.

All this is my opinion only.  Sparklea

1. Gcrhoads64 profile image91
      Gcrhoads64posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I respect your choice to forego premarital sex. I just want to point out unwanted pregnancies; abortion; children out of wedlock; unfaithfulness; disrespect;  sexual diseases; adultery, etc. has been part of human life for millenia.

2. profile image51

But they could be STOPPED, if say, people suddenly or gradually became, ummm ahhh SMARTER and had SELF CONTROL.

13. Silver Fish profile image76
    Silver Fishposted 10 years ago

Luckily I don't have a "holy book"- so for me sex outside marriage can be  guilt free!!

1. yupperclub profile image60

are you a rapist or a whore?  Have you no constitution of what is right and wrong?  You may not need a BOOK per se, but others do...GUILD FREE?!  Is NOTHING sacred?!

2. ChristinS profile image40
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can't see how we liken someone enjoying a sexual relationship to being a rapist or a whore... that's terrible sad geez.

3. jlpark profile image79

Yupper - enough with name calling. SilverFish is entitled to their view - and answer to this question.

4. Silver Fish profile image76
      Silver Fishposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am neither a rapist nor a whore- is this your world you describe?
      I am in a stable loving relationship with another and we have children. As god and the bible are meaningless to me so is marriage. I have no need for it.

5. yupperclub profile image60

maybe you better think about it....sexual intercourse is for satisfying a husband...not something to do with just anyone for the sickness of you.

6. jlpark profile image79

Yuppers - not everyone needs the bible to instruct their personal morals and are still very moral people. What silverfish does in their life is no business of yours. Please stop implying something u do not know for sure.

7. profile image51

But premarital sex always has consequences, whether it is STDs (not all stds are preventable by condoms), or getting in trouble with parents, unwanted pregnancies, or emotional trauma.

14. Doc Snow profile image89
    Doc Snowposted 10 years ago

This interesting summary certainly contains the Leviticus verses you have in mind, but also cites several others, as well as a few scholarly works on the topic.  Perhaps this will help.

http://www.theology.edu/marriage.htm

Note the absence of a 'wedding' in the modern manner!  And it's interesting, though inconclusive, that Leviticus doesn't specifically prohibit 'pre-marital sex.'

Of course, marriage is very different in several ways today than it was in ancient Israel.  See, for example, this discussion of concubinage:

http://www.ukapologetics.net/concubine.html

I think that many modern Christians read Scripture with the assumption that ancient Jewish marriages were rather like 1950s American ones, except maybe for that whole mysterious 'dowry' thing.  But this was clearly not the case.

1. Doc Snow profile image89
      Doc Snowposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Many answers above cite the prohibition on "fornication."  Unfortunately, that's a word that basically only goes back to the Middle Ages (though derived ultimately from Latin):

http://www.religioustolerance.org/pornea.htm#

2. profile image51

fornication is a fancy old word for premarital sex.

15. tsmog profile image86
    tsmogposted 10 years ago

Hello jlpark. I really have not an answer. There are many good replies here. Sharing, Holy Books are puzzles. My suggestions are to ponder with your quest seeking more than, offering these,

Define the question seeking answers & of purpose with purposeful. Next,

Define for that established above
    Answer as an observer & not a participant
    Offer as a participant within all observers as a compare & contrast
    Always offer a choice of equal and opposite for compare & contrast
    Propose a conclusion & do not conclude
    Present the opportunity of the conclusion to the audience

Next,

Define first Sex as a specific
    Then, the variances of Sex as sexual, sexuality, sexing, sex acts, sexual acts, and etc.

Drill down with these in the rough draft seeking the defined question as statements of two or more. Every question from my knowledge is two or more statements at least. One is yes the other is, not as in un-. Or for fun and a chuckle that is not uni with an i.

Language
    History
    Contemporary
    Original

Support with logic or mathematics as needed or desired. Biology will help with this quest and anatomy too.

Compare & contrast for meaning regarding the cause or "is a discussion therefore offers levels of thoughts especially inference, considerations & pondering.

Consider all is equal as definitions until morals & ethics are applied. Ethics are group with both relativity and relationships, yet morals are always personal and individual. 

A discussion seeks not win nor lose, only more than before & varies with each participant.

Once that is a known, then the verses of any Holy Book will be of avail. Without oddity many of those verses will not even have the word or any connotations or variances being Sex.

Pre marital defines itself with the givens of "before marriage." Yet, if narrowed to Christianity, for instance, there are many thoughts of marriage regarding a 'right,' a sacrament, the basics of a contract, and more. So, original intent may be a consideration with those original religions: Islamic and Judiasm. 

Now, answering the question remains the same as above. Regarding as being "or what does (your) as in "me," Holy Book Say? Quoted "Of Certainty and most assuredly, yet is not. We are each one of these: male, female, or different. Proof some say is of one. Each a set of some type of sex organs. All else is equal.  Each a left hemisphere, a right hemisphere, and the corpus callusum. Metaphorical proposes Male, Female, & the Betwixt of Between"

16. skgrao profile image66
    skgraoposted 10 years ago

Hindu's and we Braininess would get married 100 years ago even before we knew anything about sex at the age of 12 for girls and 14 years for boys and the entire country of India was free of RAPE.To day its a RAPE day everyday.Foreigners who invaded India have converted the country a RAPE country.
    Muslims can have any number of Wife's.
    Christians can divorce any number of times and marry again.
    Hindus only one marriage in life that's our culture and tradition.
    Abandon your project just now and help taking up any project that will help the homeless and poorest of the poor.

skgrao - it is not a physical project, it is a written one (not for HP - but possibly). I do help out the homeless and poor when I can.

2. skgrao profile image66
      skgraoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am glad you help the poor my request was any efforts made must be oriented for humanitarian cause.Sex is nature and we should obey nature.
      Not try to interpret and tune it to different methods.
      Many thanks for taking my comment so sportively.

3. profile image51

"Christians can divorce any number of times and marry again."
      Matthew 5:31-32

"And it was said, 'Whoever sends his wife away, let him give her a certificate of divorce'; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the cause of u

17. erorantes profile image49
    erorantesposted 10 years ago

According to the holy Bible . We most be married to have sex. It is one of the ten commanments. Now, you can married with out papers which is the common law.It is a respectful agreement that you can finish in your own home , or keep the agreement to be marry in from of all your friends and relatives.

1. profile image0

I agree with you. But, which of the Ten commandments are you talking about?

2. jlpark profile image79

Thanks for that ero.  And thanks, JT - I was just about to ask that!

3. mkjohnston81 profile image78
      mkjohnston81posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was taught in church that "Thou shalt not commit adultery" referred to all sex outside of marriage, whether pre-marital or extra-marital.  I tend not to agree with this because I don't think that's what the word "adultery" means tho...

18. mkjohnston81 profile image78
    mkjohnston81posted 10 years ago

The Quran states:

"The Believers must win through, - Those who humble themselves in their prayers; who avoid vain talk; who are active in deeds of charity; who abstain from sex, except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or whom their right hands possess, for they are free from blame."  23:1-6

and...

"The woman and the man guilty of adultery or fornication, - flog each of them with a hundred stripes:  let not compassion move you in their case, in a matter prescribed by Allah, if you believe in Allah and the Last Day:  and let a party of the Believers witness their punishment.  Let no man guilty of adultery or fornication marry any but a woman similarly guilty, or an Unbeliever: nor let any but such a man or an Unbeliever marry such a woman: to the Believers such a thing is forbidden."  24: 1-2

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)