Curse the Hub Pages

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (34 posts)
  1. wesleycox profile image70
    wesleycoxposted 14 years ago

I came here to just read articles and creative writing.  One day I found a poem and thought, "What the hey, I'll check it out."

It spoke directly to me and yet I understood only two/thirds of it.  My own ignorance was the cause of the understanding issue. 

This thread I would like to dedicate to the hubbers out there that write poetry so beautifully and captivatingly.

/Brenda Scully.
    Pachuca
    I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s
    Ralwus
    Mighty Mom
    Tom Ruebenoff (he wrote a hilarious poem about bicycle riding)
    Randy Behavior
    Manlypoetryman

If I have forgotten you and you write poetry add your name to this thread.

It is hubbers like you that broke my resolve to never like poetry and I thank you for it.

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the mention, I recall your first comment on mine fondly. So glad to have helped change your opinion. Why the curse. LOL Many great poets here. Too many to keep up with quite frankly. I do try.

wesleycoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your welcome.  I cursed it cause I didn't want to like poetry but dang it I do now.

1. profile image0
          ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well imagine that. LOL Ever read Poe?

No I actually haven't read Poe.  I know of the Raven  a gentle tapping and a rapping on the chamber door.  But thats it.

2. queenbe profile image59
      queenbeposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    3. profile image0
      Pachuca213posted 14 years agoin reply to this

WHY THANK YOU WESLEY...that is so kind of you. I only write what I feel. If any one of my poems can help someone by allowing you to relate or make you feel something then my work is worthwhile. smile

2. bearnmom profile image67
    bearnmomposted 14 years ago

You either like poetry or you don't.  I find it somewhat hard at times to write lyrically and I only write when I have a purpose or cause.  I find the words that God gives me when I'm emotionally connected to the loss of someone or something.  My personal masterpiece concerns the Italian belief and Christmas Eve traditions.  Secondly, I have written about my ancestry and Point State Park in Pittsburgh.  If you wish you can look those up.  Happy reading.

3. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

How about:

Cris A
    Pirate Girl / Cabin Girl

I'm not an expert on poetry but they write good stuff and very interesting ones at that. smile

1. loveofnight profile image76
      loveofnightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

pirate girl is good

4. profile image48
    BadCoposted 14 years ago

You left out Am I Dead Yet and Chrissie123, my fav 2 Poets, jeeez sort it out Wesley smile

I am sure they are awesome but I haven't read them yet. So I couldn't mention.  I will read them though.

1. profile image48
        BadCoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No worries, deff worth a look at !

5. shamelabboush profile image52
    shamelabboushposted 14 years ago

I think I'll add: I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s and Randy Behavior... Very nice poets!!!

Already on the OP buddy.  And yes they are very good.

1. shamelabboush profile image52
        shamelabboushposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok, I just liked to reiterate smilesmile

1. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image60
          I*n*v*i*c*t*u*sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great big thanks and appreciation! smile

6. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

thanks so much..... hey my name is top of the list.... which is actually a bit unfair, as i am far inferior to some, but i am really happy that you did this thread, stressed out from work, came home switched on to hub pages.... and you made my day.....

how are your poems coming along, i must check out your profile

7. Robin Layne profile image71
    Robin Layneposted 14 years ago

Add my name to this thread if I write poetry? Soitainly. I write a poem occasionally nowadays, although most of my poetry was written in earlier years. I have posted some poetry in Hubs that combine it with prose.
    Thanks for recognizing the poets out there. We seldom get rewards for our efforts, except sometimes in the way of praise. So a little praise goes a long way.

That said, I have to admit that a lot of poetry that is written is not understandable to me, and I think some poets don't WANT to be understood. To me, that is a bunch of hooey. Why write stuff that is not understandable? Maybe some ambiguity is fine, but generally, the more specific a piece of any kind of writing, the more enjoyable. In poetry, you may use sparser language, more symbolism, more double meanings, and a different format from prose.

Another thing I don't like is poetry that doesn't keep its beat. Ogden Nash actually succeeded at using too many syllables for some of his lines, but that was for comedic affect, and he was a master of his trade. But most people do this by accident. I wonder if they are people who are not musically inclined. Some poetry sacrifices meter and/or meaning for rhyme. Plenty of good poetry doesn't rhyme, so if it doesn't work for that particular poem, I'd say don't make it rhyme.

I don't know a lot of formal styles for poetry, although I do enjoy reading them. Sometimes one of my poems rhymes in some places and not in others, and I don't know whether that's okay. I'm not what you would call a trained professional (in the poetry "business," those are few and far between; ever heard the expression, "There's no money in poetry--but then, there's no poetry in money"?). But maybe in the course of earning my BA in English, I'll get some more exposure and training in the forms and improve my technique. That would be nice. I don't love all poetry, but I love writing it and I love some that I read.

Was it okay to say all that here?

Absolutely.

2. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
      EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you want to create imagery and a mood and at the same time allow readers to interpret a poem in a way that is personal and meaningful to them, the last thing you should use is specifics.

8. Robin Layne profile image71
    Robin Layneposted 14 years ago

Thanks. I hadn't noticed anyone "nominating" themselves as a poet, especially one you haven't read yet. So far, my prose/poetry hubs are about cats, an imaginary lover, and a childhood poetry book. Which reminds me, the imaginary lover one is part of a series I intended surrounding love poems/stories from my life.

9. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image60
    I*n*v*i*c*t*u*sposted 14 years ago

Wesley, Thank you so much. This is so lovely and appreciated to be mentioned! smile You are quite to poet too. smile

So many I love have been mentioned:
    to add...

Chris A
    Not Telling
    Benjimister
    Jess Killmenow

10. wesleycox profile image70
    wesleycoxposted 14 years ago

I will definately make my way over to their hubs/poems and have a read.  Thank you for the tip.

11. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Poetry is awesome smile especially the ones the elicit emotions wink I say bravo to our Poets.

12. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 14 years ago
  13. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Dost thou now do Poetry...as well? Thanks for the mention among the many wonderful poets of Hub World, Wesley...(Yourself now...included!)

How very interesting..."I came here to just read articles and creative writing.  One day I found a poem and thought, "What the hey, I'll check it out."

It spoke directly to me and yet I understood only two/thirds of it.  My own ignorance was the cause of the understanding issue."

[Poem Author's Note: "A Good Poem, Like a Good Story...should get you lost in it...and capture you...maybe even have a deeper meaning by how it was presented!"]

Wesley: Welcome to the World of Poetry, My Friend...Real Men Can Write Poems!http://th06.deviantart.net/fs8/300W/i/2005/352/d/1/__Curse_you__Red_Baron___by_pooterjon.jpg

14. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 14 years ago

You should add a poet who goes by the name tantrum and writes wonderful Haiku to your list of poets.

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well thanks disturbia ! big_smile  You're a very good poet as well. I've been reading. good stuff ! cheers !! cool

15. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

Tom and Randy definitely have a way with words they do smile Tom R. can always get me with his poems smile

16. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

It's Your Eyes that always get me Janetta! smile
    How are you?
    Stay snug for Winter... we've got the Summer here smile

17. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Disturbia...Welcome to the Forums!

18. PeeGee profile image60
    PeeGeeposted 14 years ago

Wow this is so cool - energy and passion and real feeling about poetry - good on you all guys!

If you have a minute try me! PeeGee....

To all writing and reading - keep the faith and keep producing stuff that makes us feel alive!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)