All Things Israel and Palestine

Jump to Last Post 51-60 of 60 discussions (320 posts)
  1. Kathleen Cochran profile image75
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 weeks ago

Trump wasn't kidding. There really are people who will excuse anything he does. Anything.

There are two tells for me about a person's judgement: smoking and MAGA. These folks have every right to their choice, but I'm keeping a safe distance.

2. Readmikenow profile image95
    Readmikenowposted 2 weeks ago

NPR reporter left stunned by Dem voters' thoughts on Trump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsqDduwcI0s

1. My Esoteric profile image86
      My Esotericposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Is this just an anecdote?  A one-off?

2. My Esoteric profile image86
      My Esotericposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

I started to watch and then saw it was from the least trusted network and admitted liars Fox News.

1. Readmikenow profile image95
        Readmikenowposted 13 days agoin reply to this

Denial is a good strategy.

1. Sharlee01 profile image88
          Sharlee01posted 13 days agoin reply to this

Your link got me doing a bit more research on the subject, Gallop just put out some information that correlates with what you presented.

ECONOMY
          MAY 6, 2024  Gallup   "WASHINGTON, D.C. -- With Americans less optimistic about the state of the U.S. economy than they have been in recent months and concern about inflation persisting, their confidence in President Joe Biden to recommend or do the right thing for the economy is among the lowest Gallup has measured for any president since 2001."

"Forty-six percent of U.S. adults say they have "a great deal" or "a fair amount" of confidence in Trump to do or recommend the right thing for the economy, while fewer say the same of Biden (38%), Powell (39%), and Democratic (38%) and Republican (36%) leaders in Congress.

To a large degree, this reflects partisanship; Democrats are confident in Biden, Powell and Democratic congressional leaders, while Republicans are confident in Trump and Republican congressional leaders. Partisans have little to no confidence in the opposing party’s leaders. While political independents are not overly confident in any of the leaders, they have the most confidence in Trump."

"Gallup has tracked confidence in presidents’ ability to do the right thing for the economy annually since George W. Bush took office in 2001. Bush, Barack Obama and Biden (to a lesser extent) enjoyed majority-level economic confidence ratings at the start of their presidencies, while the public's confidence in Trump never rose above his initial 48% reading. Trump’s current rating is essentially tied with that of his last year in office.

Obama’s confidence ratings were at least 50% each year except for one (42% in 2014). Biden has fared much worse as confidence in his economic management dropped precipitously in 2022 from 57% to 40% amid sharply higher inflation, and it has been below 40% since then. Only Bush earned lower confidence from Americans than Biden has since last year -- by the end of his second term, amid the Great Recession, when just 34% of Americans expressed confidence in his economic abilities."

"Americans' Confidence in President to Do the Right Thing for the U.S. Economy,"
          Biden is at 38%
          While Trump was at 47% before he left office, and never fell below 42% much of his time in office he remained over 45%.
          To check out more, and view charts source https://news.gallup.com/poll/644750/con … y-low.aspx

My Esotericposted 12 days agoin reply to this

There is how people FEEL about something and then there are the facts about the same thing.  People may FEEL that way about Biden, but they can't point to any facts that supports their feeling.

Readmikenowposted 12 days agoin reply to this

People usually vote based on their feelings of things.

That is unfortunately true.  Our founders had hoped our citizens were virtuous enough to overcome self-interest and use reason to cast their votes.  Hasn't turned out that way. 

That was one reason why there is an electoral college system and senators were not directly elected by citizens.  They were very afraid of something like MAGA developing or the equivalent on the Left.

2. Sharlee01 profile image88
              Sharlee01posted 12 days agoin reply to this

" People may FEEL that way about Biden, but they can't point to any facts that supports their feeling."

Then they look at what is occurring in our streets, at our border, and best of all they turn their pockets inside out, and find they can't borrow any more to pay bills. They look clearly at the facts, they point at Joe Biden and his poor job record, his weak governing, and his failing cognitive state. In my view, most realize they need a new president to dig them out of their deep holes. For those that don't, I will be kind and leave it there.

You can listen to and believe admitted liars who manipulate the news to support the right-wing cause, I chose not to.  Instead, I listen to news that is known not to lie on purpose and generally present a fair and balanced view.

3. Ken Burgess profile image77
    Ken Burgessposted 2 weeks ago

Biden Donors FUNDED Anti Israel Protest, Democrats SCREWED, Deep State Has NO CHOICE But Trump 2024
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6WWaIHdvro

4. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 2 weeks ago

Hamas accepts Gaza ceasefire proposal from Egypt and Qatar

Peace is at hand again.  No, wait.  Israel doesn't agree yet, they are sending a "low-level" negotiating team to Qatar to see what it is all about.  Why are they dragging their feet?

Well, maybe because there was a bait-and-switch going on here.

You see, Israel and Egypt worked out a framework a little while ago. At first blush, it seemed some version of this is what Hamas was agreeing to. Not so, say the Israeli's, it is nothing like what they agreed to. In fact, it has a red line in it - a permanent ceasefire.

While I don't like Netanyahu and think is no less a terrorist as Hamas, I still support Israel's "no permanent ceasefire" position.  To me, that is still self-destructive given Hamas' (not Palestine's) intent to destroy them. Consequently, a temporary ceasefire should be all Hamas gets until they agree to turn over all of their weapons.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/06/middleea … index.html

5. Readmikenow profile image95
    Readmikenowposted 13 days ago

Israel is now entering the last hamas stronghold of Rafah.

https://time.com/6975185/israel-rafah-m … ease-fire/

This will mean the end of hamas. 

I believe when this is done, Gaza will have to remain under military occupation for the foreseeable future.  I don't see a way around it.  This is the only way to guarantee Israel's protection for its citizens.

1. abwilliams profile image68
      abwilliamsposted 13 days agoin reply to this

It has to be this way Mike! Hamas MUST be completely eliminated! Indoctrinated children of Gaza will have to be counseled, deprogrammed, loved through it, witnessed to about the love of Jesus Christ. I don't how to fix them, in order for them to go forward with a normal, happy, fulfilled life. Hopefully they can be saved from a life spent in total HATE of the Jewish people!

There is no other way around any of this.

Sharlee01posted 13 days agoin reply to this

Absolutely, it's crucial to halt the activities of Hamas to prevent further unrest.

So long as people like Netanyahu is in charge, Hamas will always have a willing stream of recruits.  By his indiscriminate bombing, he has turned at least two generations of Palestinians into permanent enemies.

Sharlee01posted 12 days agoin reply to this

Try 75 years of Palestinians preparing for just such a day as Oct 7...  Try decades of Palestinians teaching their children hate, and to kill Jewish people. Try Palestinians voting in one terrorist group after another to push their vile ideologies.

1. Willowarbor profile image59
              Willowarborposted 12 days agoin reply to this

Elections in Gaza and the West Bank have been few and far between and  are certainly not free and fair when they have happened.  Gaza hasn't had an election in almost 20 years.  And the West Bank hasn't done much better.

Looking back at 2021..

"Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas on Thursday called off next month's parliamentary elections after challengers from his own party threatened to weaken his hold on power.

Abbas' decision, which came just two days before campaigning was supposed to begin, indefinitely postponed the May 22 vote and apparently a July presidential election as well. The postponement angered Palestinians eager to replace a president who has not held a vote in a decade-and-a-half

In Gaza, Hamas’s tenure since seizing power in 2007 can be characterized in similar terms. In short, they are authoritarians, not democrats, and their underlying motivations for holding elections have nothing to do with restoring the democratic process. There is no Democratic process. The key to a post-war landscape is a Palestinian vote.

"Recent polling from December (2019) shows that Hamas leaders and Abbas are very unpopular, with 61% wanting the latter to resign and only 31% believing he is the best candidate in his party."

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/elec … e-or-ploy/

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/29/99206500 … -elections

I think the palestinian people are responsible for who they choose to govern them.

Yes, palestinian people are responsible for making changes.

So, they either die when hamas goes to war with Israel or they die when they try to overthrow a terrorist organization that governs them. Should they try to overthrow hamas, I'm certain they would get significant support from Israel and others around the world.

1. Willowarbor profile image59
                  Willowarborposted 12 days agoin reply to this

"I think the palestinian people are responsible for who they choose to govern them."

Would it be okay if the governance that you chose in 2006 decided to never let you vote again?   But let's delve into the facts a bit more.

Again...

64.2% of Gaza are 25 years old or younger. You are  required to be 18 years old to vote, meaning you have to be at least 35 years old to have voted in the previous Gaza election.

Meaning?

GAZA 2006 elections:
                  -55.5% did NOT vote Hamas
                  -45.5% of voters for Hamas
                  -77% voter participation
                  =35% population voted Hamas
                  Population was 1.35m so 64% of today's 2.1m, given many were children in 2006, assume only 50% of 45.5%=
                  =MAX 22.75% OF CURRENT GAZA POPULATION VOTED HAMAS.

These people need to be allowed to vote.

In my opinion, it is a concerning posture to say that a civilian is a legitimate military target because of how they may have voted.

https://www.iemed.org/publication/the-y … -of-hamas/

https://www.indexmundi.com/gaza_strip/d … ofile.html

That is all well and good.

I know things about Ukraine because of having relative from there.

They removed a president that was not serving the needs of the people.

It is called the "Revolution of Dignity" in Ukraine.

It happens.

palestinians can do it as well.  They just have to have the desire to do it.  I think their inaction in trying to remove hamas is an example of their support for them.

So you want to convert the Palestinians to Christianity?

1. abwilliams profile image68
          abwilliamsposted 12 days agoin reply to this

I was discussing children brought up to hate and how they might be turned around. Offering suggestions, but admitting that I don't know how to fix it.
          But yes, as a Christian, naturally I want non-believers to accept Christ! Do you have a point?

6. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 9 days ago

Israelis outing Netanyahu's torture camps. The whistleblowers "They paint a picture of a facility where doctors sometimes amputated prisoners’ limbs due to injuries sustained from constant handcuffing; of medical procedures sometimes performed by underqualified medics earning it a reputation for being “a paradise for interns”; and where the air is filled with the smell of neglected wounds left to rot."

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/10/middleea … index.html

7. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 6 days ago

American doctors say they cannot evacuate Gaza amid Israeli siege

Two American doctors who volunteered to provide medical care in Gaza say they were stuck in the enclave without safe passage Monday following Israel’s seizure of the Rafah border.

Both were scheduled to leave Rafah Monday so another mission could take over the aid work but have since been told there is no longer a safe route to exit the besieged strip after Israeli troops seized control of Gaza’s Rafah border crossing last week. They were both sheltering at the hospital Monday evening as they waited for a way out...there were potentially 20 to 30 more Americans along with them at the European Hospital who were also unable to evacuate. 

The Rafah crossing into Egypt has been closed since Israeli troops seized it a week ago. Israel gained full control over the entry and exit of people and goods for the first time since it withdrew soldiers and settlers from Gaza in 2005, though it has long maintained a blockade of the coastal enclave in cooperation with Egypt.

No food has reportedly entered the two main border crossings in southern Gaza for the past week, a region that had been sheltering 1.3 million Palestinians, many of whom have fled since Israel took control of the crossing.

Both doctors say they have seen conditions get worse each day, with little to no supplies left to treat patients, many of whom are children.

“You’re used to seeing patients improve the more you work with them, but here, they just deteriorate,” he said. “You see wounds with broken bones underneath and mangled tissues…the wounds are different and more horrific and severe over here just due to the mechanism of injuries.”

Sabha said the sanitary conditions were abhorrent, with flies, mosquitoes and other insects constantly in the operating room and wound care areas in the intensive care unit.

The U.N. warned of a potential collapse of the flow of aid to Palestinians from the closure of the Rafah crossing from Egypt and the other main crossing into Gaza, and U.N. officials say northern Gaza is experiencing “full-blown famine.”

Stop the genocide!

8. Nathanville profile image93
    Nathanvilleposted 5 days ago

The Israel war on Palestine even flowed over into this years ‘Eurovision Song Contest’ causing much controversy – as summarised in this short video:- https://youtu.be/1WsLMJbbh2o 

Background info into Eurovision: 

•    Eurovision is meant to be apolitical and was launched in 1956 in an attempt to help bring peace in Europe (the ‘make love not war’ principle.) e.g. prior to the 2nd world war European countries had been raging constant wars with each other for over 2 millennia.

•    The Eurovision Song Contest is an annual event (across the whole of Europe, and beyond) that’s been held every May since 1956.  And these days (using modern technology) the viewing public across Europe (and beyond) vote (by telephone) to select the winner.

•    It was Eurovision that shot ABBA to worldwide fame, when ABBA won the 1974 Eurovision.

•    Eurovision is a big annual event in Europe in that the viewing figures of Eurovision are larger than the viewing figures of the American Super Bowl.

9. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 4 days ago

5 Israeli soldiers killed by friendly fire in northern Gaza

The Israeli military said Thursday that five soldiers were killed and seven injured in a friendly fire incident in northern Gaza, amid renewed battles in the area against regrouped Hamas militants.

"An initial investigation into the deaths of five IDF soldiers reveals that IDF tanks, located dozens of meters away, identified a weapon and fired shells at an IDF force nearby," the IDF said in a statement.

"This force had entered the northern part of Gaza and occupied buildings along a logistic route. The tanks fired two shells for unclear reasons, resulting in seven more soldiers being injured, three severely."

Seven months into its war aimed at eliminating Hamas, Israeli forces are again engaged in intense fighting in areas of northern Gaza the IDF said earlier had been cleared, renewing doubts over the government's strategy in the war.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has come under growing pressure from the U.S. to lay out a plan for post-war Gaza, and on Wednesday he faced rare public criticism on the issue from within his own War Cabinet.

In a nationally televised statement, Defense Minister Yoav Gallant challenged Netanyahu over what he said was a refusal to discuss the issue. He said this would lead to Israel being forced to rule over the Palestinian enclave again, which he said he opposed. We must make tough decisions for the future of our country, favoring national priorities above all other possible considerations, even with the possibility of personal or political costs," Gallant said.

Readmikenowposted 4 days agoin reply to this

Do you think there has ever been an armed conflict that didn't have deaths from friendly fire?

Trust me, it has happened many times.

My Esotericposted 4 days agoin reply to this

Seems to happen a lot with the IDF, don't you think?

Readmikenowposted 4 days agoin reply to this

Not really.  This is urban warfare.  This is acknowledged as the most difficult type of fighting. Close quarters, Going from building to building.  I'm surprised there hasn't been more.

My Esotericposted 4 days agoin reply to this

Israel needs new leadership. Like his mirror image, Trump, Netanyahu has failed his people and his soldiers. (I wonder if he thinks his soldiers are "losers" like Trump does of American soldiers?)

10. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 11 hours ago

International Criminal Court Prosecutor Requests Warrants for Netanyahu and Hamas Leaders

The International Criminal Court prosecutor, Karim Khan, said Monday that he had requested arrest warrants for the leaders of Hamas and for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel for war crimes and crimes against humanity in relation to the Oct. 7 attack and the war in Gaza.

In a statement, Mr. Khan said he was applying for arrest warrants for Yahya Sinwar, Muhammad Deif and Ismail Haniyeh of Hamas. He also said he was requesting warrants for Mr. Netanyahu and for Israel’s defense minister, Yoav Gallant.

While Mr. Khan’s request must still be approved by judges from the court, the announcement is a blow to the government of Mr. Netanyahu and will likely fuel international criticism of Israel’s strategy in its seven-month campaign against Hamas and the war’s toll on Gaza’s civilian population.

There was no immediate response from the Israeli government or from Hamas. Israel is not a member of the court and does not recognize its jurisdiction in Israel or Gaza. But if warrants are issued, those named could be arrested if they travel to one of the court’s 124 member nations, which include most European countries but not the United States.

The I.C.C. is the world’s only permanent international court with the power to prosecute individuals accused of war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity. It cannot try defendants in absentia, but its warrants can make international travel difficult.

Link

My Esotericposted 10 hours agoin reply to this

I saw - puts them right up there with Putin - none value innocent lives.

I just noticed that if the Hamas leader or Putin traveled to the US, we wouldn't arrest them.

My Esotericposted 9 hours agoin reply to this

In that article it says "By applying for the arrest warrants against Israeli and Hamas leaders in the same action, Khan’s office risks attracting criticism that it places a terror organization and an elected government on an equivalent footing." - I have to disagree.

Technically, Hamas is elected (in the same fashion that Putin is "elected").  Also, it is not the "Government" that is being sought, but individuals who are responsible for atrocities.

So, no, I do not agree that the the legitimate government is being put on equal footing with the illegitimate government of Gaza.  It is two terrorists, Netanyahu and Sinwar who are being put on equal footing.

3. Readmikenow profile image95
      Readmikenowposted 4 hours agoin reply to this

Do you really think this means anything?

Israel, the United States, as well as russia and many other developed countries are not members of the UCC.  This is an organization that believes it should have the right to arrest members of the American military for things that happened in Afghanistan.

It has no enforcement ability.  It is a joke.

My Esotericposted 60 minutes agoin reply to this

It is a joke to try to hold war criminals accountable?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)