Do you enjoy cooking?

Jump to Last Post 1-40 of 40 discussions (82 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

I know for some, cooking is like a chore, but I always have enjoyed cooking. I lovvvveeeeee food! lol, I call food a "hobby." Thank goodness for high metabolism in the family genes.
    Nothing like experimenting with food and ingredients & spices to see what you can come up with.

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I gree, I love to also. am learning

1. Carmen Borthwick profile image61
        Carmen Borthwickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Keep learning, I always used to tell my students [I taught cooking] life is like a... no that was Forrest... cooking is not rocket science its an art, like making your first pottery piece in art class in elementary school. Just go with the flow and it will be what it will be.

I keep trying Carmen, I have had some real disasters!

Well if you ever need help you know where to find me.

Thank you, I may send a question or two your way. Appreciate the Offer.

Jon

Any time Jon, youre welcome.

2. Michael Willis profile image68
          Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can see cooking as an art also. It may not be for everyone, but for those who have the skill and creativity for it will always have many friends. lol

You can say that again! A few times in the past, however, I discovered after the fact that one of the reasons I was invited to a few social functions was because of my cooking... oh, and would you mind bringing... and I thought it was only due to my shining personality, not my shining pots! LOL

My relatives always ask what I can make for dinners and sometimes they request certain meals. My mom still "tells me" what she wants me to bring! lol

2. dutchman1951 profile image60

sense starting this, I have come to learn it is about an actual mix of sience, common sense and thought. And I have found, also like you have, that most do not care to work at something that hard. I enjoy it.

For me its not work,  Its more like art work and zen in combination. Now commercial cooking, kitchen work, is hard work, you have to like it, I will sat that. Its labor intensive, but has a special reward I think. Again though I am learning, long way to go.

You are completely correct! It is a science as well as an art. Maybe my desire for experimental cooking came from my love for science. lol. Sometimes I come up with great recipes and sometimes..., well....not so good and I scrap that one.

I whent after an Alton Brown formula for Ribs and Sauce, using the Oven and making a foil wrap act like a brasing dish...total disaster, did not get the taste at all. Came out more like a Crock Pot Prok Roast attempt. Missed it compleately.

2. archdaw profile image60
      archdawposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am one of those that do it, because I have kids to feed. Whenever I tell people this that have tasted my cooking they don't believe me, because they say my food taste good.  My mother always told me growing up that I was blessed with a seasoning hand.  I HATE COOKING!!!

3. Specialk3749 profile image60
      Specialk3749posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Growing up, I hated cooking.  After I got married and learned "how" to cook and my family started growing. I started cooking more and have learned how good it feels to make something that they all love.  There are times when it gets old having to do it day in and day out, but thankfully my husband and my oldest daughter like to cook as well and can give me the weekends off!  I LOVE that!

4. althea_m profile image60
      althea_mposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cooking is like therapy for me. It's the time I can be the most creative and my family reaps the healthy rewards! My three year old son even loves hummus. That's when I know I've had success smile

2. creativeone59 profile image69
    creativeone59posted 14 years ago

I definitely agree with you Micheal, cooking to me is like the air I breath, it ain't nothing but a meatball.!!!  LOL.  creativeone59

We must breathe the same air creativeone! Does it smell of chili and curry and basil and cayenne pepper; sugar and spice and everything nice?

3. Michael Willis profile image68

Cooking can be an expression of the cook! I tend to think the recipes I come up with says something.

I agree Michael.

I grew up next door to my grandmother. She was an amazing cook. She always said to make your recipes your own.

4. mistywild profile image60
    mistywildposted 14 years ago

I love cooking, I hate the mess it makes though!

5. Carmen Borthwick profile image61
    Carmen Borthwickposted 14 years ago

I love to cook and am creative with it. My husband will come into the kitchen and ask what I'm cooking. He knows I never write anything down so will get a pad and pen to write down what I'm putting into my 'creation' in case he wants to do it one day. My kids do the same.

6. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I can cook when I have to but would rather yank my own toenails out with hot pliers.

Hahaha, sounds like you Ghost, don't forget about those cans in the pantry. LOL

1. profile image0
        Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Still living on those, Carmen.  When the money improved in late August, it simply meant that we were able to stock a few cans of Swanson's white meat chicken to go with the pork & beans.  As for Pam, her favorite canned meat is Hormel ham.

I can't buy the chicken or the ham in Canada, but I do like albacore tuna and pork and beans are a staple. I must admit I stopped making them for my boys after they took some on a hiking trip with their dad. Farting became a hobby that they both became experts at. Me.. no I never!

Do not laugh but Lanna accused me of teaching the Dog that!

I told her, you have got to be kidding!

C'mon you probably did!

I tend right now to cook toward the rich side in flavoring, so it may be the samples the Dog gets!, so yea, probably did...lol

7. bgpappa profile image79
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

Love it. Self taught so who knows if it is good, my family doesn't seem to mind though

8. Michael Willis profile image68

A lesson I have learned cooking is...you can take any package meal such as a hamburger helper, knorr dinner and the like and add to the recipe and make it your own creation. Everyone will think you slaved over the stove preparing it.
    And after a long day at work and time is short...it can be so easy to have an enjoyable meal with just adding a few extra ingredients instead of eating out and spending a lot of money!!!

You know it Michael and if you're like the woman in the old [I hate to use the term] rice crispy squares commercial just throw a little flour on your face to make it even more believable. LOL

ROTFLOL....I am not against that!

9. Michael Willis profile image68

And I am one who loves spicy foods. Love hot and spicy! It is hard to find those type of recipes. I know a lot of people who enjoy the same, so I have started to share mine for those type of food lovers.
    I even make a hot and spicy spaghetti, manicotti and salad!

I'll do a hub on Cajun recipes, if you love hot, spicy with a hint of sweet you'll love them!

I'll look forward to that hub.

I'll try to post it sometime this week.

2. dutchman1951 profile image60

me to, please write it. The chicken stock one is right on the money.

Well, who could refuse two such dashing gentlemen. My word, I shall have to do it, now won't I?

Yes ma'am...please do! I plan on writing and posting my hubs for the mexican manicotti very soon. I also make what I call "manicotti bites" in both Italian and Mexican recipe.

I'm looking forward to those.

10. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

Can't cook, won't cook. Eating is much better!

lol, then it makes good to know someone who cooks!

11. Purple Perl profile image50
    Purple Perlposted 14 years ago

Cooking is an art! Being creative in the kitchen serves as a respite from boredom, depression or simply enjoying a healthy family lifestyle.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

agree, i like to cook...to keep me busy....I love the smell of spices

12. NaomiR profile image77
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

I like cooking for friends and family, but not as much for just myself and my husband, probably because we like very different foods. I hate fish and am not crazy about red meat (which he loves) and he doesn't like pasta or melted cheese (which I love), which leaves out many Italian dishes. The only thing we really agree on is chicken!

13. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

I don't like cooking at all, apparently for good reason - my kids always thought school lunches were delicious!

My choice is always raw vegetables and bread. I don't like meat, don't like eggs, my boys chose to "forage". Now one is a chef at a restaurant in L.A. For me, if I can't just grab it and eat it, it's not worth the trouble, I've set my boys up to be suckers for women who can cook!

14. europewalker profile image78
    europewalkerposted 14 years ago

I have never liked cooking,can't stand being in the kitchen unless it is for a cup of coffee. Luckily my husband is a good cook,otherwise we would starve.

15. Jenny30 profile image60
    Jenny30posted 14 years ago

Love to cook as well, especially Italian and Mexican dishes!!!

Mexican and Italian are my favorite also. I have been combining the two and creating New style of casseroles.

1. Jenny30 profile image60
        Jenny30posted 14 years agoin reply to this

ohhh I so have to try that!!

16. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

Yes, I like to cook - my husband taught me how. But I hate having to cook if I come home late and am too tired to do so.

Then he does!

17. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Love it. My favorite memories are of my family in the kitchen. Its definitely a destressor for me smile

18. Azur Moon Wolf profile image61
    Azur Moon Wolfposted 14 years ago

I thoroughly enjoy cooking.  I like to think of myself as a creative person and cooking is just another extension of my creativity.  The only recipes I follow are for baking, because that is a science, but I am a "little bit of this, little of that, ooh and a dash of this" and a "hmm, I wonder if this will work in here" kind of person!  smile

19. zadrobi profile image60
    zadrobiposted 14 years ago

Mac N' Cheese here I come hehehe

1. Paradise7 profile image68
      Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto here.  It's unfortunate--I'm absolutely the worst cook in the world, but I love food.  I don't mind cleaning up, though.  I'll clean up for you if you make dinner.  Are we on?  What are we having?  What's for desert?  Should I bring wine?

2. Colebabie profile image59
      Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hehe. But you can make some amazing Mac N' Cheese!

20. Hope Wilbanks profile image67
    Hope Wilbanksposted 14 years ago

I love cooking, but more than that, I love to cook for people that like to eat. One of my favorite things to do is invite friends over for dinner. I love cooking something wonderful and sitting down at the table together to eat and have fun and talk and laugh together. That's usually always followed by a card game of some sort. *love* it! smile

21. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I heart cooking! smile

22. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Cooking and baking are my passions. Cooking is the art while baking is the science. Keeps my right/left brain thing in sync! smile

My poor kids grew up with meals like seared scallops over angel hair allo olio with garlic and an arugula salad on the side and thought it was normal! smile

23. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I like baking more than cooking. yep to me cooking is a chore lol.

24. Ladybird33 profile image66
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

I like to bake more than cook but yes, I love to cook.

25. Chloe Comfort profile image60
    Chloe Comfortposted 14 years ago

Cooking dinner every night for the family - not so much BUT give me a party to cook for each weekend and I'm in my glory! I love to cook, especially for crowds. I get very creative and love to surprise people with something new each time. Would love to be on Top Chef!

26. Sexy jonty profile image58
    Sexy jontyposted 14 years ago

sometimes I enjoy cooking ....
    but sometimes it's irritating ......

27. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

I never did like cooking. But Saturday mornings I was in charge of the kitchen, and it was Big Breakfast, with waffles, eggs with everything in 'em, bacon, fruit, juice, and several different syrups. After being single, and wanting to entertain, I kept the tradition alive, and it grew to hosting other gatherings.

Now I cook when I can, but I like to share it. Thanksgiving is spent at the house I have a few hours away, with family and friends, and everyone has an assignment and we cook and bake and make in shifts and teams, and it's really a fabulous time. Nobody leaves the kitchen until it's spotless. We have a blast. I host gatherings the same way.

So I look for or invent recipes that I can put together in 30 minutes or less, that are knock-out flavorful and reasonably healthy.

So cooking has become a very enjoyable experience for me, when I have time for it.

28. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

I like it when there is a big return on a very small effort. Last night I made fresh cranberry sauce to add to our usual baked chicken meal, which took only about ten minutes of effort, and made the kids happy.

29. ertweryt profile image62
    ertwerytposted 14 years ago

comparing to the cooking,i like the dish which is already cooked

30. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I enjoy cooking and baking.  When I first started cooking, my goal was to re-create the meals my mom had made.  She was a cook from scratch lady, but never wrote her recipes down!  She died when I was 17 and I have done a fair job of recreation and written the recipes down.

She could also bake homemade bread, rolls, etc., that I don't think I'll ever master.  I don't believe we ever had store bought breads.

31. retellect profile image73
    retellectposted 14 years ago

I absolutely love it! Great way to relieve stress and take stuff of my mind. Very therapeutic smile

32. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I like cooking specially Asian foods, I like to experiment on variation of sauce etc, little bit chili,

33. retellect profile image73
    retellectposted 14 years ago

I love Asian foods too! Jamaican food tastes the best to me though, I even wrote a few hubs on them. haha big_smile

34. A2shley profile image59
    A2shleyposted 14 years ago

Cooking is awesome!  I'm not very precise with measurements some times (i.e., too lazy to get the tablespoon out) so baking has always been a challenge for me but I LOVE experimenting...now if only I could get someone to clean the pots smile

35. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

o.k. let me see...having to feed two perpetually starving kids...a husband who walks in the door, with that look: so what's for dinner today?...and above all, having to spend time in the kitchen when I could be doing something much more productive with my life, say like posting on hubpages forum!!...hmm....no...not so much! wink

they must love the way you cook because they always waiting for the food, hi myownworld, good day! bless you today!

1. myownworld profile image73
        myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmm....i guess so, u know how tempting those indian curries look..to all EXCEPT the one who cooks them!! lol..if it was up to me, I'd live on salads and sandwiches! wink

oh the curries are awesome, yes sometimes you dont like it when youre the one who cooked it,

36. bearnmom profile image66
    bearnmomposted 14 years ago

My mother-in-law was the creative one.  She would play with a new recipe from a friend until it was all her own.  It might not turn out right the first time but after working with it a few times it would be a "Try it -- You'll Like it" recipe.  If Nunny was being creative she would always say that when you would ask what she was making.

37. Mocha Momma profile image61
    Mocha Mommaposted 14 years ago

I absolutely love to cook, in all forms, if it requires me to handle food, I love to do it.  Food to me is an art, and I can appreciate great food, it must be pleasing to the eye and palate, not the same old thing, and I love refreshing recipes and love trying new things.

It gives me a great feeling to share my passion for food with those that I love and care about.  My love shows in my food.  It is an open expression of who I am and can be very invigorating and even liberating. 

I learned much from my grandmother, and her diverse knowledge of various cuisines from around the globe.  Its in my genes to love to nurture and care for others and use unique and well prepared meals as a way to show that. 

I hope that my little one will feel the same about food.  It truly is an experience that when done right awakens the senses and makes you feel more than alive, it makes you feel LOVE.

38. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

I cook on the grill year round - the grill has been relocated to my garage where I can cook all year

39. Black Lilly profile image61
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

I just HATE cooking... can do with a kettle, a microwave (thank you genius who invented it) and a fridge, anything else I have in the kitchen is just for the sake of having it smile

40. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years ago

I love cooking. I made some vegan banana bread last weekend.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)