StumbleUpon helped me get more views

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (47 posts)
  1. jim10 profile image67
    jim10posted 15 years ago

I recently joined StumbleUpon and by Stumbling my sites they seem to get a lot more views. I was hoping to find friends on StumbleUpon. So if anyone wants to be friends so we can stumble each others sites I am Jim10. http://www.stumbleupon.com/
    Thanks,
    Jim10

1. guidebaba profile image57
      guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have been using SU for the last 4 months and does wonders as far as traffic is concerned. Searchles is also Great. http://www.searchles.com/ is even better. It work twice as good as SU.

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

guidebaba - when you say it works twice as good as SU, what do you mean?

I think the most visits I got from SU to one post was 95,000 - what sort of traffic does this one send?

1. profile image0
          terrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Struth!! Why can't I get that. Makes your Alexa traffic rank look good. I'm guessing but at a few places you would be looking at >$250 per link with that sort of short term trafiic and they would be climbing over themselves to get a link on board.

Thats what I use SU for, visitor traffic to boost Alexa. Other than that you might get the odd click but if someone Stumbles you then a PR6 rank link will be heading your way as its logged on the main site. Thats how you should look at SU, not clicks but the visitor stats.

2. guidebaba profile image57

Mark: Here are the answers:

1. Searchles shows up the links through Google search. It also shows the link internally in Searchles. So Twice. My personal site gets good traffic (and money) from searchles.

2. This post must have been on WOMEN (or most probably MONEY). You may have got 95,000 visits from SU on this post and I guarantee you did not make good money from those visits. Sending 95,000 visits doesn't means that you make money too. Searchles send traffic and helps to make money too.

1. SunSeven profile image62
            SunSevenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not Mark's speciality  big_smile

Dear SunSeven, I did not get your point. Can you plz explain a little bit what you want to say so that I can understand. Plz.

2. SunSeven profile image62

Mark doesn't write about either. smile

I hope you get it now.

Best Regards

Sorry sunseven, But I think I have seen some of Mark's Hubs on Women and Money.

lol

I have written one hub entitled "Making money online" - Apart from that, I am keen for you to point out all the other hubs I have written on Women and Money.

I cannot seem to find them big_smile

Veronica - There is bound to be some animosity apart from the human nature aspect.

For example - you have some one like guidebaba telling me I write about subjects I don't write about and advising people to use some obscure site and saying it is "twice as good as sumbleupon" without qualifying that statement. Which then turns out to be nonsensical advice.

If he/she/it is not interested in how to get 50 - 100,000 visitors from SU or what value that traffic might bring - well, I don't care.

But we have the acknowledged StumbleUpon master here on this thread - SunSeven, who has generated millions of page views through that medium.

And guidebaba is not listening, which tells me he/she/it is just trying to promote himself rather than offer genuine advice.

I have to break it to you. I am sorry, but its obvious that you haven't read any of Mark's hubs! These blatant allegations(may I call it that?) with the expectation of getting some attention will do no good for you.

Best Regards

Sorry Sunseven, I am not trying to promote myself. There is no benefit in promoting this way. Am I making any $$$ this way. How can you say that I am promoting myself ???

It is not necessary for any of you to believe me on anything I Say. You have your own choice.

Mark: I never tried to Promote myself and neither did I force anyone to joining searchles. Did I ? I jut put it here because I am personally benefiting from it and that's all. And I am "HE". Plz use this word to describe me in future- "HE".

Did I ever say that you write on "Money" or "Women" . I just guessed that the particular Hub that brought you 95,000 visits must have been on Money or Women because these Topics are most likely to bring such huge traffic. Am I correct ?

I have never seen you giving any respect to me. In fact you leave no opportunity to make fun of me.

Earlier I said that I respected you as an expert online writer. Maybe I was wrong.

2. Mark Knowles profile image60

As Sunseven said, I do not write on WOMEN or MONEY. I never said anything about making good money either.

I just asked a straight question.

All I did was asked you what you meant by twice as good as SU - before I waste my time on them.

I have several posts that have sent in excess of 50,000 visits from SU - I find that traffic does not convert very well but has other benefits. So what do you mean by twice as good?

Hi Mark. Searchles shows the Posted Link in Google and Yahoo Search. This ultimately leads to our Hubs through these Search Engines and you know the benefits of traffic through Search Engines. Several of my hubs are reached through these searchles links that I post.

Give a try by posting just 2 Links. Title and Keywords play important role. Post links to those Hubs on searchles that have not found there place in Google or yahoo but you want them to get the place on Google or yahoo.

It will surely work.

2. Lilymag profile image61
      Lilymagposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hey Jim10- I befriended you! 
      My link is:
      http://harley05.stumbleupon.com/

big_smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

More experienced hubbers have reported that Stumbleupon does bring some good traffic but it doesn't convert well - in other words, Stumblers don't click on ads.  I'm on Stumbleupon but haven't bothered doing much with it for that reason.

1. vietnamese profile image68
      vietnameseposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Copy that! It's kind of strange, I don't use SU alot, except their toolbar which I downloaded when I  first learned about Social Bookmarking and I've been using it because it's convenient.

2. profile image0
      Popular Wealthposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I've managed to get the bounce rate on Stumblers down to 62% (and still working on it) with a decent conversion rate overall, including several 40,000 + pageview articles. Site design is critical but Stumblers do indeed click on ads, if you can provide exactly what they are looking for. It's not easy but not many things are.

edit: figures refer to my blog, not HubPages though I DO plan on tweaking my hubs too, trial and error style.

I would certainly be interested if you would add a link to a 40,000+ page view page that had a bounce rate that low. If you don't mind?

3. tcnixon profile image65
      tcnixonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This was exactly my experience. I have a self-publishing blog (http://www.smallpress.typepad.com> and a fairly large website (http://www.BestOnlineHighSchools.com). With both of those, I can see where folks are coming from. While I had tremendous hits on those days (hundreds and hundreds!), it didn't do much for Adsense or, in the case of the online high schools site, the number of people clicking on school listings.

Nice to get the traffic. It would be nicer if it actually meant something. Probably it depends on your topic.

3. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Doesn't convert AT ALL in my experience and the visitors only stay for a second or 2 which is also bad in the google god eyes

4. jim10 profile image67
    jim10posted 15 years ago

Any better suggestions for getting more traffic then?

1. profile image0

Articles, social bookmarking, mini networks, free website domain accounts, blogger blog free accounts, wordpress free accounts, search engines, advertising, Craigslist, Us Ads, list building and friends. Just to name a few.

SU can bring you some good stats(in terms of spurts in traffic). Ok, we all feel good about that. But not necessarily in in terms of conversion(in terms of revenue). [It applies to all your social bookmarking sites, like digg, reddit, propeller, etc., etc., [the umpteen numbers of them] Believe me, Its the search engine traffic which will benefit you in the long run.

Best Regards smile

5. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

You need to go where people are interested in the topic, and post your links there.

Write articles and put them in directories, write a blog or find relevant blogs and comment on them, post links in forums (without spamming!), Yahoo Answers, and in email discussion lists.

The best thing of all is to get search engine traffic. Pick a long-tail keyword and create a wealth of pages all over the internet that are optimised for that long tail keyword, and which contain a link to your Hub anchored with the long tail keyword.

Jenny

1. Ann Smith profile image60
      Ann Smithposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Could someone please tell me what a long tail keyword is?  This advice sounds great, just not completely sure how to use it!  Thank you!

6. thranax profile image74
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

StumpleUpon only brought me 10 views for about 3 weeks on 11 hubs. I admit it is good but only 2 of those 10 read anything. I can tell because they came and left in about 15 seconds or less. I admit I love having the extra traffic but if they would only gain some revenue for the work ya know =P. Because it's installed I will still submit them to SU and ask people to SU my hubs, hoping to get more dedicated users who will, if not convert, read the article at least? On the other hand I found other social bookmarking to be great. As soon as I submitted to a few of them I got at least 25 people in the first few hours, a rate way over SU.

7. Veronica Bright profile image59
    Veronica Brightposted 15 years ago

Why is it I can never manage to view ANY forums, ANY where, without some sort of animosity seeping through?  smile
    I guess it's human nature.  I can't say much, as I am new to these "network" sites so I am learning my way around.  I enjoyed learning how to generate more traffic, and revenue!
    Thank you

8. SunSeven profile image62
    SunSevenposted 15 years ago

Talking about traffic stats, can you please post your traffic stats here, unaltered - unphotoshopped? So that we all can learn something new from you?

9. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

guidebaba - In the quote of yourself you are saying that you have seen my hubs on women and money.

All I was doing was asking you for more information on this site you recommended and you proceeded to question my claim about SU traffic and say that it must have been about women or money. Neither of which are subjects I write on. Have you actually read any of my hubs or the other work I do online?

The two most visited SU pages I have are on hacking google to see hidden cameras that are not password protected around the world and this one on the most unusual properties for sale.

I don't care if you respect me as an expert online writer or not, but my writing has nothing to do with our interaction here, so I don't see what difference that makes.

But if you have some useful knowledge to share, please do so. I am all ears. But saying something like this:

means nothing. What do you mean exactly? How much traffic, how much money? Twice as good as stumbleupon? 200,000 visits? Something like that?

You will have to earn respect I'm afraid, but if you want some advice on stumbleupon, ask Sunseven.

In future I will refer to you as HE, but it is rather hard to tell from your username and photo as to what you are, and I meant no disrespect by referring to you as he/she/it.

Mark: Believe me. I have read several of your works. I recently read your Interview published on HP. If I was not reading you, I would have never known that there is some interview about you. I liked the way you write. Me reading or not reading you may make no difference to you. But it makes difference to me. You are an excellent writer and I learn from you.

Good Luck and Best Wishes.

10. DJ Funktual profile image75
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

SunSeven please do tell more about Stumble. 

My experience has been futile in terms of Big PVs = Zero comments and that's how I knew they weren't there very long. 

how did thranax know someone was there for 15 seconds?   

What's a long-tail keyword?

1. kerryg profile image85
      kerrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Google Analytics has stats about how long visitors from different sources or keywords stay on the page.

I'm not an expert on long-tail keywords, but I believe they're keywords that employ longer phrases, the sort of thing that people might actually type into a search engine if they have a question. For example, I have tags like "what was the song on supernatural last night" and "plants that bees love." Google will also pick up phrases directly from the text.

SU hasn't done much for me either, but I rarely use it and have barely used the networking aspects at all, so that's no real surprise. smile

11. profile image0
    Ronald Daniarposted 15 years ago

Nice discussion...

I want to ask: Can we know whether the ads clicked coming from social networking such as SU, Digg, etc? Thanks

12. profile image0
    terrygposted 15 years ago

I saw this thread was starting to quieten down and it gave me the inspiration to write a hub that offers a different view to just getting Stumble Upon traffic. It might help others, I do not know, but I enjoy SU traffic and with a different view point you might think the same way.

I know its blatant advertising of a hub, but my intentions are that someone may appreciate it. Its free, nothing to buy, no ads to click, just a quick read. No comments or thumbs up necessary.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Increase-Blog-Traffic

13. Inspirepub profile image71

Your Hub makes a good point, Terry - there are other ways to make money than by getting Adsense clicks.

Jenny

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Anna Nicole Smith compared to just Smith will be a long tail keyword smile

White leather Coach handbag

yellow front right fender for VW Bug

etc...

Got the idea?

15. Inspirepub profile image71

So, for example, with your "Tips for Working At Home" Hub, you would add long-tail tags and then make links back to your Hub from other sites, using phrases like

how to set up a home office
    how to organise a home office
    long distance calling for home office
    best long distance calling rates for home business
    time management telecommuting
    time management working at home
    working at home with kids

Do a bit of research to find out what people are searching for, pick the relevant ones with a good number of searches, target one at a time, and go for it.

Jenny

1. profile image0
      Adam Yorkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for clarifying that! I was wondering too.  I never gave it much thought to make my keywords much longer than 1,2 or 3 words long. Thanks!

1. profile image0

You will find Adam long tail keywords are extremely easy to target for search engine positioning rather than the one keyword.

16. Ann Smith profile image60
    Ann Smithposted 15 years ago

Thank you, Misha and Jenny!

p.s. Go Nadal!

17. bigdaddy profile image44
    bigdaddyposted 15 years ago

Ok, I can't resist.

Everybody is on the right track with the long tail keywords...almost. A keyword phrase with 3 or more words does not mean it is a long tail keyword. Instead of going into a long winded speech here, it is easier to check out this blog post where I explain all about how the phrase "long tail keyword" came about. (Don't worry, I'm not selling anything.)

http://jtmartin.net/marketing-research/ … -dna-6.php

If you like that, then check out this blog post where I explain how I find those long tail keywords that will be easiest to get you on the first page of Google. (warning: there are a couple of affiliate links in this post, what can I say, you have to monetize your blogs, it's still good content)

http://jtmartin.net/marketing-research/ … rds-10.php

Find your "diamond in the rough" keywords and write a Hub that uses your keyword in the title. Then make a Squidoo lens doing the same thing. Make sure you have links to each other. Submit your Hub and Squidoo lens to all your favorite social bookmarking and news sites.

Wait a few days, then go to Google and type in your long tail keyword and surprise!

This really works, go to Google and type in   Web 2.0 Submitter. That is my Hub page and Squidoo lens on the first page. Type in   automate social bookmarking.  That is my Hub page that I just published a few days ago.

I guess I'll write a Hub about this...I practically wrote one here.

18. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 15 years ago

Interesting forum, learned some new stuff.
    Thanks!

19. HiddenCrimson profile image60
    HiddenCrimsonposted 15 years ago

StumbleUpon will definitely bring your Hubs traffic. I submitted all of my Hubs last night to StumbleUpon, and to my surprise I had recieved around 100 views for one of my articles just from StumbleUpon.

20. broalexdotinfo profile image56
    broalexdotinfoposted 15 years ago

Stumble is better than Digg.

21. HiddenCrimson profile image60
    HiddenCrimsonposted 15 years ago

At this point I would definitely agree with that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)