Is writing online an hobby?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (37 posts)
  1. lawretta profile image62
    lawrettaposted 14 years ago

Would you call writing Articles and other stuffs online an hobby? Just curious, is it your hobby?

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

It is a very serious and profitable business for me. (Birdwatching is my hobby.)

3. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Sadly at the moment it is a hobby. One day I hope that it is more.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

same here...

4. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

Not a hobby, a learning experience for my future.

5. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Costuming and sewing are my hobbies.  Online writing pays my rent.

6. profile image0
    JoelMcLendonposted 14 years ago

I review and write about websites. I do this to warn the public of scams and unfair treatment. I also inform people of great websites to investigate. (I don't write here, yet)

7. The10DollarMark profile image59
    The10DollarMarkposted 14 years ago

Currently it's a hobby. Someday it might be more smile At least I hope.

8. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

Hobby?

It is the way i am approaching millionaire status...

3 cents at time... over a 200,000 year period

1. Obscurely Diverse profile image59
      Obscurely Diverseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL!  At least your monetary projection is reasonable...  smile

9. Sufidreamer profile image78
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

It's my living big_smile

You got that right, and it is always better than working for someone else!

10. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Online writing and SEO is a business for me.

Who's your best payout when it comes to HubPages:  Amazon or AdSense?  You seem more like an Amazon type of guy, but not sure.  Just curious...

1. thisisoli profile image70
        thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, on Hubpages I make most of my money with Amazon, on my other websites it is more Google though.

I am actually half considering gong back in to clickbank though. I have started researching it again, the truth is there is still money to be made, even if click bank do scrape as much off you as they can. arghh ethics vs. money!

11. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

It is pleasure and business all rolled into one for me.

1. drej2522 profile image67
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm just going to replace "It" with "Drej" in your response, BP..

ahhhh...there...better big_smile

1. blondepoet profile image68
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ROFL sounds good to me Dre... smile

12. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

i have a job . more cool than this . but i love writing  despite not doing it so well.so when i had my first  hub page substandard spanking . the other day . it hit me hard . but im digressing.

I hope you digress; yikes!  Ha-ha!

13. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

see i don't even know what that means.

14. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

I love writing but something I love more is the money I make from writing.  I dont consider it a job, Lets just say if I was fired tommorrow I would make enough to pay all the bills but have nothing for fun.

Dale

15. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

C:\Documents and Settings\Raymond\My Documents\My Pictures\Picture\Picture 197.jpg
    this is what i do for money

1. blondepoet profile image68
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Darn the picture did not show up sad
      Was it one like this?

http://www.celebritywonder.com/img/movieposter/tn/1980_American_Gigolo.jpg

16. The10DollarMark profile image59
    The10DollarMarkposted 14 years ago

You do know we can't see what's in the C drive. You have to upload the picture first.

17. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

No, writing online isn't a hobby for me, it's the beginnings of an information product business and plus I get to pay most of my bills and have a bit left to put back into my business efforts...

The tipping point may happen this year with my online earnings...

18. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Online writing is currently a hobby for me but I would like it to become my full-time job.

19. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

For me, it depends on what I'm writing.  I write/have written some things (in other places professionally; but writing for other people doesn't do anything for my wish to write whatever I feel like writing. So I write "for fun" too.  Sometimes, though, I'll write for fun and turn it into making money with it - so there can be overlap.   I like that "hobby"/"fun" writing also brings in an income.  I haven't ruled out turning my fun writing into more of a full-time thing, but I need to be able to do that without sacrificing the thing in writing that makes in enjoy it in the first place.

A lot of the stuff I write "for business" is fine, and it earns money, but it's no more rewarding than, say, stuffing envelopes or typing.  I don't dislike doing it (actually, I'm disliking it more and more as time goes on, though); but, to me, writing is more than just putting together some grammatically correct, cookie-cutter, online article for someone else's website.  I like having the chance to break some writing rules and see what happens - and that's why I like HubPages.  I like challenging myself by trying to come up with answers to questions on HubPages (other people do crossword puzzles to challenge themselves).

Online writing can be what you want it to be.

20. profile image0
    IĆ°unnposted 14 years ago

For me, creative expression for the most part, other times to educate, socialize, or just play. smile

21. Snowdianna profile image61
    Snowdiannaposted 14 years ago

I should say sort of. Yeah, that is my hobby. I prefer to share my feelings and new ideas with others

22. lawretta profile image62
    lawrettaposted 14 years ago

i write both as work and hobby!

23. Purple Perl profile image49
    Purple Perlposted 14 years ago

Writing online for me is being creative and a freedom to express my views. Which is also helping others to lead good lives! Using my spare time to write is a hobby -I like it - And of course, earn from it! A double whammy , WOW!

24. calicoaster profile image77
    calicoasterposted 14 years ago

Yeah..I can consider it as my hobby. I have been writing things like poems, articles and my thoughts since I was 5 years old. I became an online blogger in year 2005, when I came to know about blogspot. Till date, I never knew that you can even earn money online while writing anything that interests you. I love to read more.

25. profile image0
    isis_dreams2002posted 14 years ago

On one hand it is a hobby but on the other hand no for me it is both as it is one way for me to get out what I am feeling and thinking . And may be one day I will get published

1. lawretta profile image62
      lawrettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

very true!

26. MyWebs profile image79
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

A hobby that I would love to turn into a work at home business. I'll stick at it however long it takes.

27. wrenfrost56 profile image55
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

For me at the moment it's a hobby, but will plug away until it's my full time job. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)