How do you deal with being shortchanged in life?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (64 posts)
  1. midget38 profile image85
    midget38posted 11 years ago

How do you deal with being  shortchanged in life?

2. IDONO profile image60
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

By taking a long, honest look at what I am doing with life and when I do, I usually find that I am shortchanging myself.

midget38posted 11 years agoin reply to this

When we perceive ourselves as getting the short end of the stick, yes, we usually do indeed!

2. izettl profile image88
      izettlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally disagree. Look at my comment...

3. Perspycacious profile image63
      Perspycaciousposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"The short end of the stick (bat) used to be the way we decided who should go to bat first in a pickup game of baseball.  It made that person the winner.

3. SportsBetter profile image64
    SportsBetterposted 11 years ago

I take it one day at a time.  Some days are better than others.

You have ups and downs in life.  One day your up and it never seems like enough.  One day your down and you never think you'll be back up again.

Living in circles.

I guess life's all about balance!

4. omo daddy profile image75
    omo daddyposted 11 years ago

By making sure it does not happen again.

Once bitten, twice shy!

5. Perspycacious profile image63
    Perspycaciousposted 11 years ago

The best way to deal with being "shortchanged in life" is to make a greater investment.

And give before receiving.

6. izettl profile image88
    izettlposted 11 years ago

I don't deal with it. It's too exhausting and overwhelming to deal with how many things in life I feel shortchanged by. I just have to look at it as God blessed the crap out of me!
    Seriously...I lost my job in the recession, got Rheumatoid arthritis (previously healthy person, no smoking, drinking, drugs, and exercised and ate very healthy). That's why I'll disagree with the people who comment about how we shortchange ourselves. That's like telling people somehow they caused the hundreds of autoimmune illnesses out there like mine with no cause.
    You basically have to hope one day things will get better. Honestly I think about other people who have it worse or the person who overcame a lot without arms or legs or something like that. I can agree to some extent that it's mind over matter on how we deal with what we've been given, but some days I have just enough energy to deal with what's on my plate, not worrying about why it's there.

1. profile image0
      Billie Paglioloposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more w/ your statement about people who feel we shortchange ourselves!  You're exactly right.  Did the woman who was hit/ killed by a car on her 30th birthday in LA last week, or the victims of 9/11 shortchange themselves? Best 2 u

2. midget38 profile image85

I suppose people who say so mean  that we shortchange ourselves when we behave negatively - the usual negative behaviors - but yes, the circumstances without our control do not constitute short changing ourselves. All the best to you.

3. izettl profile image88
      izettlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Even though my situation for example, is out of my control, I feel short-changed...losing my youth in my mid-thrities to pain and arthritis. I agree with the people who've said it's usually the outlook we have.

7. profile image0
    Billie Paglioloposted 11 years ago

Quotes help me. I like this one by Louisa Mae Alcott:  "Life breaks everyone, and many are strong in the broken places."  She also wrote, "I'm not afraid of storms for I'm learning to sail my ship."  But the quote that helped me through the worst time of my life is from Neitzche: "He who has a 'why' to his existence, can bear with almost any 'how'.  The secret, I believe, is to work on gratitude for all that is left.  I essentially lost everything I cherished when my husband left.  The picture I was painting of my life and family was ripped to shreds, and I often feel very "short-changed".  However, I look at those thoughts of regret as a bad dragon that sits off of my left shoulder.  I can feed that dragon and make those regrets bigger, or I can look to the beautiful, multi-colored dragon who sits on my right. He is the dragon of plans I have, my projects, my dreams, my appreciation for all that's good in my life.  I try hard to turn away from the bad dragon and look to the good dragon and feed him with all of the attention he deserves.

It seriously depends on what dragon we look at indeed! Often, the fearsome one seems so overpowering. And thanks for looking at the calmer, more positive dragon in your life!

8. lrc7815 profile image82
    lrc7815posted 11 years ago

I measure the value of what I've lost.  If it is of value, I stand up for what is right.  If not, I learn from it and move on.  I've learned to pick my battles.

Picking battles is so important. Sometimes, the fight's just not worth the time! Thanks for the nugget of wisdom!

9. kimh039 profile image91
    kimh039posted 11 years ago
  10. Anne Pettit profile image64
    Anne Pettitposted 11 years ago

There is no doubt that some individuals have it easier than others.  There is nothing that can be done about the circumstances we were born in, or bad things that happen that are beyond our control. 
    I think the best way to deal with it is to overcome circumstances with action such as education, or physical activity, or helping others.  In a person's quest to overcome, the person will probably find that he/she is happier and that being "shortchanged" is no longer an obstacle.  Being "shortchanged" may even become a gift because it gives a person strengths others do not have.

We should indeed turn our shortcomings into strengths - that way, feeling shot changed is easier to deal with!

11. peoplepower73 profile image89
    peoplepower73posted 11 years ago

In order to be short changed in life, you have to compare yourself with something or someone.  Once you realize we are all unique, there is no comparison that has to be made.  We are all special in our own way.  If there is something that is giving you negative feelings, count your blessings. If you still have negative feelings, reframe your focus.  There is alway a flip-side to the coin of every issue. Focus on the positive side of the coin, not the negaive side.

1. Born2care2001 profile image73
      Born2care2001posted 11 years agoin reply to this

A fabulous answer that resonates with the healing and forward looking portion of my soul.
      Thank you!

And that's the power of positive thinking!

12. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

I blame everyone except for myself. That's the American way y'know!!

...kidding, folks, I'm kidding.

Yes, the best is no blame at all!

13. skgrao profile image65
    skgraoposted 11 years ago

IN INDIA THAT TOO DOWN SOUTH WE CALL IT LUCK IF WE GET WHAT WE WANT AND CALL IT FATE WHEN WE DO NOT GET WHAT WE WANT.

Do you accept your fate quietly?

14. newcalendar profile image60
    newcalendarposted 11 years ago

Take it on the chin and keep going really, the thing is not to let yourself become bitter by taking it personally. Some people or things will have you come off worse than better. As long as you don't end up becoming bitter then it's just another event in life's rich tapestry!

Always look on the bright side of life!

15. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

I used to ask that question...I think in our lives we will experience something that looks like an injustice, sometimes more than once..as in the book "Why do bad things happen to good people?"

It takes a long time to see those "injustices" as an avenue for growth. Certainly not while one is steeped into the situation.

The best way is to reverse the situation. Will you take an eye for an eye or a tooth for a tooth, knowing that you can, or will you turn the other cheek? It does not matter what you choose. Just know that either action is a path.

Yes, we all know that we have to look the other way, and doing do is the difficult part, especially when we are in the situation. Just know to look the right way, in ripe time.

2. profile image0
      msorenssonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We learn from it..

3. midget38 profile image85

Indeed!

16. DAWNEMARS profile image60
    DAWNEMARSposted 11 years ago

Fight it all the way. When I can't fight it -I try hard to go with the flow. I suppose that some things are just worth more than money. Others are worth little now and more later on.

We do our best with what we're given, indeed.

2. DAWNEMARS profile image60
      DAWNEMARSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is it Midget. We can really only do what we can and there will always be people who like to be mean and unfair to others-sadly. Ignore and carry on.

17. D Shannahan profile image66
    D Shannahanposted 11 years ago

I accept my circumstances, and accept that I have the power to change them.

Indeed we do! May not always be in the way we expect, but we do have that control. We have to decide to take it!

18. Born2care2001 profile image73
    Born2care2001posted 11 years ago

This question and its subsequent answers combine for some of the most enlightening and thought provoking dialogue I have seen here on hub pages. In my humble opinion there are no right or wrong, black or white, or easy answers.
    For me, I have learned that when I feel shortchanged it is an indication that I have some internal re-evaluation to accomplish. I first look at my definition of short-changed. (Short changed compared to what)
    Each time I do this I find that I had been developing a negative view in that particular area of my life. That re-evaluation or self-examination causes me to focus on being more grateful for what I do have and eventually the feeling of being short changed dissipates. (Not over night mind you, but it does dissipate)
    I also want to take this opportunity to thank my fellow hubbers here who have offered pieces of themselves, exposed their inner feelings so to speak, to help others see a potentially different and healing perspective!!!

1. peoplepower73 profile image89
      peoplepower73posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!

Gratitude is indeed the key....and if we stop looking at our circumstances as debilitating, they're so much easier to overcome! And thanks too, for contributing to the discussion and I hope that it provides the healing we all need!

3. Charlu profile image77
      Charluposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Awesome answer

19. Doc Snow profile image87
    Doc Snowposted 11 years ago

It's not clear to me that I have been "shortchanged in life."  The metaphor seems to refer to situations where I "get back" less than I "should", perhaps in relation to what I "paid" in terms of time, money, effort or caring.

But while I sometimes feel that I put out a lot and received little, I must in fairness recognize that I am also the recipient of a long, long list of advantages for which I put out exactly nothing.  Who can say how these things balance out?  So, how can I say that my occasional feelings of being "shortchanged" really have any validity?

Best to get on with playing the hand I've been dealt.

Life has a strange idea of balance, doesn't she? But you have a valid point indeed!

20. conradofontanilla profile image65
    conradofontanillaposted 11 years ago

Being shortchanged occurs in a relationship between two individuals. Shortchanging is engaged in mostly by institutions, corporations and countries; the individual is a victim of social injustice. read more

21. gmarquardt profile image87
    gmarquardtposted 11 years ago

With a cold one and the realization that that's just the way it is.

1. bizzymom profile image63
      bizzymomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like your answer - straight and to the point!

Acceptance- then move forward.

22. bizzymom profile image63
    bizzymomposted 11 years ago

I think you just have to keep your chin up and look on the bright side.  There might be people who have more than you, but there are also people who have less.  It's a good idea to make the best out of what you have.  Always look toward making your life better; it doesn't always have to be with something big.  Start with something small and be happy!

And be grateful that you have what you do!

23. Charlu profile image77
    Charluposted 11 years ago

Believe there is no such thing, and learn how to count your blessings opposed to your misfortunes.

Everything in life happens for a reason and believe me there are times (especially lately) that I question it and then another door opens that gives me a new purpose or reason for being grateful.  With every medical issue, passing of others, etc. etc etc. I have learned that what is here on this earth, and my spirituality is a gift incomparable to any amount of money, relationship, or material thing that I could ever have.

Remember if it wasn't for those days when it seems all is lost and there is no way to get out of the hole we seem to have fallen into, the days when we are really blessed would have nothing to be compared too.

A blessing received is the result of a blessing given. Think about it.

According to The Secret you receive what you perceive which revolves around our attitude and thoughts. Try it you'll be amazed at the results. I think it's a matter of faith.

I'm a fan of The Secret too! Yes, we get what we perceive as reality - the thing is to really have the right attitude. That's the hard part we have to work on!

24. Cristale profile image82
    Cristaleposted 11 years ago

I pray to God daily and always try to be positive. I also always try to be a blessing to others every where I go.

And you are a blessing to this discussion!

25. MrMaranatha profile image73
    MrMaranathaposted 11 years ago

When I get short Changed it is only because I myself neglected to count the change before walking away from the cashier.

You always have the option of speaking up when you get the short end of the stick.

A good move too, Mr Maranatha!

26. susanzheng profile image68
    susanzhengposted 11 years ago

Something happened, it just happened, We cannot change the fact.  The only thing we can do is to find out why it happened and to avoid it happening again.  Learn something from what happened to you and keep going forward.  Our personal power is very limited.  I would do whatever I need and whatever I can and leave the rest to our Creator.  He knows everything and can take care of everything else.

We cannot count on ourselves- prayer gives the ultimate assistance.

27. Eve Mitchell profile image61
    Eve Mitchellposted 11 years ago

Take it as it comes.  We all get shortchanged somehow, in some way, many times in our lives, and have very little control over it.  Personally, it's easier for me to rant about it to someone willing to listen, and then try to move on and learn from the experience if possible.  I think being shortchanged by others, and by circumstances beyond our control, are opportunities for learning even if it doesn't seem like it at the time.

Time is the key, certainly, and if we let it, it heals all wounds.

28. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

I do the best I can, with the abilities I have and accept the things I cannot change.

Work with what we have and be grateful for it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)