Why do guys say "Tap" that when it comes to girls?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (47 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

Since I've been on hubpages and doing various research on movies that are fixing to come out and such, I noticed something highly strange that I never thought of before until now.  Online, I notice all these users on imdb, yahoo, superherohype and all these other sites that I get resources from for news on upcoming films, some preteen or teen will say "I'd tap her" or "I'd definitely tap that" when it comes to a attractive girl.  Personally, I never thought too much about it.  mainly because I never use that phrasing myself, as I find it highly disrespectful to women in general. 

However, the more research I do online, the more these phrases are starting to become more popular. I don't see why, but it is.  Therefore, I would like to ask all of you.  What do you think about this?  Are phrases like, "I'd tap her" or "I'd tap that" really acceptable in society?  Should it even be considered decent?  would any of you guys use those terms to talk about a girl?  do you girls like it when guys say that about you?  seriously, what's with these kids today?

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

no, I don't like it.
      I never heard of it, but it means the same thing as I'd f*** her.......
      no, it's cheap

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i agree it is cheap.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

smile

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

sex is a great thing, but saying that is not big_smile

2. speedbird profile image59
      speedbirdposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have never heard of that...but will do some research and report back

3. zduckman profile image60
      zduckmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is basically the current vernacular for misogynistic pig speak. It is degrading and shallow....Referring to a woman like you would a keg of beer..."I'd tap that ass". The women that do find this appealing or even remotely acceptable need therapy to work on their self esteem. This has taken the whole bitches and ho's thing to a new level.
      The funniest thing is that the guys who speak like that "I'd tap that ass" ...would never have a hope in hell of getting with the person whom they are referring to. Maybe this is the origin ...misplaced angst  being dis appointed at their short comings and the fact that they cannot attract women that they are attracted to ...and instead of doing something pro-active about it...they choose not to change ...and just to vent their frustration as hatred toward women.
      Women are goddesses and should be treated as such ....

1. dingdondingdon profile image60
        dingdondingdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think your insight about men who vent at women is a very good one. My sister sometimes tells me about the men who catcall her when she's on the street, and she's always found it funny that when she ignores or rejects them they suddenly shout that she's ugly. And yet just a few seconds ago they wanted to "tap that"!

Men like that make me ashamed to share a sex with them.

4. Francesca mcbarron profile image59
      Francesca mcbarronposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Because they are numb nuts

5. Cheryl E Preston profile image84
      Cheryl E Prestonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It’s disrespectful. I hate that phrase

6. Cheryl E Preston profile image84
      Cheryl E Prestonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Very disrespectful phrase

2. profile image0

i guess nobody has anything to add...

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ten minutes?

1. profile image0

lollol really?  was it only ten minutes?  i thought it was longer than that.  lollol  man, that should've been a line in the classic tv show, "married with children", as i can so see how that line could be used. lol

3. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

I think that the way people refer to this absolutely natural act is a 100% spot on indicator of a persons level of maturity. I would not waste my time with any man who believes that is an acceptable way to describe the particular action that it refers to.

1. profile image0

i agree with you completely on that.  i think it's sad that today's youth uses this kind of language.

4. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Many young people suffer from the need to fit in and feel like they belong to their own generation. I remember using catch phrases and doing things when I was younger that make me cringe today when I think about them.

5. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Well we know a lot women flaunt what they've got(obviously not all), and obviously shallow men are going to respond and acknowledge it. I notice Clothing for women becoming more and more suggestive from an early age hmm

1. Ohma profile image61
      Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wait what did you just imply?
      That a women cannot dress in a manner that she is comfortable without expecting to be showered with rude and inappropriate behavior because of it?
      Is that seriously what you just said Richie?

1. Richieb799 profile image76
        Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't say you couldn't and I didn't say it was right for guys to make comments, if you stopped to interpret what I wrote you would of noticed I said 'shallow guys'.

And personally I prefer clothing that leaves something to the imagination.

1. Ohma profile image61

Sorry if I reacted to harshly. The whole "She was asking for it, because of the way she was dressed" issue is a very touchy subject to me.

1. Richieb799 profile image76
            Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's not what I meant, nobody deserves to be harassed.

1. Ohma profile image61

I do have to admit that I always thought you to be much more sensible than the image I was getting from your first post. I believe that may have been in part a cause for my over reaction.
              I am glad that we agree no one deserves to be harassed.

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

I agree w/ the part about temptation.
          skimpy clothes are tempting for men and often those who dress like hookers...............................................um maybe they shouldn't!

6. profile image0

yeah, that's true.  you both bring up a lot of valid points there.

7. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I think that sometimes men with limited vocabularies use words like "tap." To me, it implies a quick "booty call," with no possibilities of forming a relationship.

8. profile image0

i agree with richie. nobody deserves to be harassed or disrespected no matter what they're dressed like.  Anyone that does harass others or make rude comments based on stuff like that, should be ashamed of themselves, as it shows an obvious lack of self respect, intelligence and maturity.

9. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

"Tap that"  has been the subject of a number one pop song, in Australia anyway, but I thought also the US and the UK - about 3 years ago.  The female singer deals with it and the issues pretty well as far as I can make out, though I can never understadn half the words in songs.

10. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

I never heard of "tap that" before. If you had not told me I would have thought you were referring to someone getting wet under the sprinkler.

1. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It kind of is big_smile

1. blondepoet profile image66
        blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hahahaha yes I guess it is when you look at it that way. smile

2. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It would be a college frat house type expression. As in "tapping" a keg (of beer).

11. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

There was also the Akon song 'Smack that' lol

I though that was crude

Although I liked the song 'Sexy  Chick'

12. profile image0
    Tilecleaninghubposted 13 years ago

Believe it has something to do with a keg.

13. Gr8legs profile image62
    Gr8legsposted 13 years ago

"Tap that" is an expression that has been in use in the part of the world from which I originate (North-East England).  can recall this being used for at least twenty, if not thirty or more years.

Going out "Tapping" means going out on the lookout to pick up girls. The term may simply come from the act of tapping a girl on the shoulder to gain her attention.

The other possibility is that, with traditional ales, the beer is served from barrels with a tap on the end of the barrel. When a fresh barrel is opened, the cellar master places a tap against the cork and strikes it firmly with a mallet, pushing the cork inwards and allowing the beer to be served.

Thus "Tapping" may be a euphemism for making an approach to a woman with a view to sleeping with her and forming a relationship with her so that he would then have sex "on tap".

1. Bizziebee profile image60
      Bizziebeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yeah i tapped that.

14. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 13 years ago

don't want to get too psychological over this, but what the heck  . . .  When people, especially teens, use less than respectful and even derogatory phrases to refer to sexual encounters, sexiness, and other relationships they are just showing bravado - a way of saying to each other "I don't take too seriously what the adults do and say and tell me to do - I've got my own life, my own style and I'm brave enough to act it out"  If we take too seriously what they are doing to impress each other, then we're just being too judgmental and serious about things that we'll eventually come to accept just because of the common usage.  For example the "B" word was NEVER ever used when I was a teen - but now its even used on tv and women do not get all upset when they hear it, usually.  But it all depends on the INTENTION behind the words.  We can tell when someone is being abusive with language and that is never acceptable, but we can also tell when people are just being slangy and there is no intention to hurt the person its directed at.  So these seemingly derogatory terms end up becoming complimentary!  I know it's weird, but that is the way social interaction and social language evolves.  It's our own problem if we get too touchy with it and try to impose our control over kids who say stuff like that.  I used to get upset when my kids said "freekin'"  and now I say it myself!  So look for the intention behind the words - and don't get upset unless things are said with bullying or harm intended, is my advice!

1. profile image0

hmm..you bring up a very good point there mega. i never thought of it that way before.

15. profile image50
    John Gullibleposted 13 years ago

I believe that phrase is used predominantly by guys under twenty-five. It is really just another form of expression, rather than saying, "I just had sexual intercourse with that young lady"

16. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

You 'tap' a nail into a hole

http://0.tqn.com/d/poolandpatio/1/0/r/s/-/-/wreathammer.jpg

1. Bronson_Hub profile image61
      Bronson_Hubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This all makes sense now.  Picture = 1000 words.  Merci!

17. johnnymission profile image60
    johnnymissionposted 13 years ago

Because we are awkward and hate emotions and when you say to a pal, "oh, I tapped that girl", you remove any sentiment from the statement and thereby the action.

18. MAGICFIVE profile image64
    MAGICFIVEposted 13 years ago

Yea, I first heard this one about 6 years ago or so from some jerk I used to talk to.   It's just one of those phrases that's "caught on" and become sort of popular, that's all.  You can't take it that seriously.  And it's not just kids using it.  That jerk I'm referring to was in his thirties.  Popular movies have even picked it up, too - the term was used on The Forty Year Old Virgin!Do girls like it?  I doubt it.  It seems like something guys say to other guys when they're having "guy talk"!  Don't worry - in a few years it'll be gone, replaced with something else...probably equally as crude or weird, but everyone will be saying it simply because IT'S IN STYLE!  Like the dumb word gynormous.

19. lostdogrwd profile image62
    lostdogrwdposted 13 years ago

tap that means sex her. and this kind of talk about a woman is mostly to lose give it up easy type of woman and when guy talk about the lady that's around then. they will talk about tappping these woman tails

20. profile image0

Wow, I forgot all about this forum.  I'm surprised to see it's still doing well, but I really do appreciate you guys providing your thoughts on this topic. smile

21. Gregoryy profile image60
    Gregoryyposted 12 years ago

Im a 19 year old male, and I live in the generation of people saying things like this. It bassicly means that they would have sex with that person. Its not classy, or appropriate in my opinion, but thats what it means. If you have any questions regarding slang terms people use from now on you can go to Urban Dictionary.com. Its bassicly the slang dictionary.

22. profile image60
    Ass Tappaposted 6 months ago

What a bunch of whiny liberals coming together to combine their offense over something completely benign

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)