An informal poll: What "brand" of Christian are you?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (67 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Those Hubbers  (and there are a lot here!) who identify as Christians.
    Do you consider yourself "born again?"
    What church or type of service do you attend?
    How often do you go to church?
    Are you in leadership or active volunteer in your church?
    Have you always belonged to this denomination, or have you changed to a different type of worship in adulthood?

Just curious. I have a theory. Wondering if it will pan out.
    Thank you!
    MM
    smile

1. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Do you consider yourself "born again?""

Yes

"What church or type of service do you attend?"

We have been 'outside the gate' for three years now, on occasion we will visit local churches, but have not yet found a church that seems correct for membership, did join one, but that was because they needed 20 members before they could 'affiliate' with the Baptists and get 'political' protection by their alliance.

"How often do you go to church?"

Daily, going to church happens whenever two or more believers are gathered together.

"Are you in leadership or active volunteer in your church?"

Been both, still am in our family fellowship body.

"Have you always belonged to this denomination, or have you changed to a different type of worship in adulthood?"

Joined up at an AoG church, but since about 1994 been a member of the ONLY church, there is ONLY one body of believers, the rest is just doctrines and tradition.

I was 40 before I came to faith, I guess that allowed me to see through 'Churchianity' easier as I sought Christ, not a church country club to belong to.

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, aquasilver.
        Part of your answer reminded me of a song they used to sing at church when I was a girl:
        "Whenever two or more of us are gathered in His name.. there is love."

I wonder how many responses will agree with you on being a member of the ONE church, there is only ONE body of believers.

Appreciate your insights and personal experience.
        Thanks again.

1. insearchof truth profile image85
          insearchof truthposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All I can say is amen!

2. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe in Christ but could not consider myself to be a Christian as Christ implored us to walk in his footsteps and although i have tried it is difficult.
      I am still learning about myself, about my beliefs and what i would have to do to be Christian.
      I have come to realize my fears about mainstream organised religion and the fact that everything Christ taught these organised religions have gone against.
      I shall not set foot in a house of God that is ruled by political, petty religious, self important people who profess to be Christians.

1. insearchof truth profile image85
        insearchof truthposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know exactly what your talking about. god loves you and you are good enough. Organised religion has lost relevance. I'd love to minister you. Josieburness.com.au. Bless you.

3. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I get enough flack from my mother for the three days she spent in labor with me the first time, I'm not about to her do it again.

Unitarian- As a Christian Unitarian (Not all Unitarians are Christian)

A couple times a month, on the weeks I don't go my church has an online fellowship I sit in on. 

Active volunteer, but most of the members are active volunteers.... it's kinda what we do...An average of 20-25 hours a week for members of my fellowship. Since the baby was born, I'm down to about 10 hours a week...As he gets older I hope to go back up to 20.

I became a UU about 5 years ago, but I've always had leanings towards their viewpoints.

You've got me curious.

1. peeples profile image94
        peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've heard a lot of good about the UU church. The one here accepts atheists and does a lot of great stuff in the community.  I've thought a lot about checking them out. Neat to hear yours has a majority of active volunteers. Curious if they do lots of community service as well?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
          MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Community service is about all we do.  Sure there is maintenance on the building and that such, but most of the volunteer work is community service.  The local soup kitchen, animal charities, advocacy... that such.

Yep, we gots lots of atheists in our church smile The place is lousy with 'em. I know they didn't come for the food either... everyone knows that liberals can't cook.

4. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hiya, MM.  Hope you're doing well.  big_smile

In order:
      1)  I do consider myself born again...but not "Born Again" if you get my drift. 
      2)  I am a member of the Catholic Church - attend Catholic mass - approximately once a month, but I've recently had my civil marriage blessed by the Church and can attend more frequently now.
      3)  I was baptized into the Catholic Church as an infant, not raised in any tradition, and returned of my own volition as an adult.
      4)  I am not currently active in leadership or service in the Church.
      5)  I was not raised in any religious tradition.  In fact, I was raised in a very cosmopolitan environment without any 'religious' structure.

big_smile

5. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm born-again, blood-bought, saved by His grace upon repentance.

Attend non-denominational church, intermittently these days for several reasons.

Not in active leadership nor volunteer at this time

Was raised in the Separate Baptist denomination and still find it to be the most Biblically correct at its basis of any denomination.   John the Baptist's message paved the way for Jesus,  whose message was the same except Jesus wasn't just a messenger, He WAS and IS the message incarnate,  and they both preached "REPENT YE, for the kingdom is at hand".   It doesn't get anymore basic nor anymore pure nor better than that.
      But I'm not adamant about claiming any particular denomination as far as church membership, etc.   Matter of fact, the church I usually go to now doesn't even have official church membership;  people just come to worship if they please.   The important thing is to be saved,  not whether or not you're a member of any particular Church.

I still rotate toward the same type of worship services  but have visited different denominations and can find the good in almost any of them.   I enjoy old-time-religion worship services and old hymns as well as more-modern songs and settings.    A few times, in a few churches, the bad has outweighed the good, so I refused to go there again.   

When you say "identify as",  I think you mean to include anyone who believes in the concepts of Christianity, but maybe not born-again.     There can be a difference between "identifying as" and actually "being" a Christian.   There can be a difference between being "Christian" and being "a" Christian.   
      Being a Christian is a Spiritual thing, not just an ideology.   And Jesus said "Ye must be born again", so that settles it right there.   He is the only Way, and ye must be born again.

I'm an imperfect person serving a Perfect God.   And eternally grateful to the Lord for dying for me so I'd have the opportunity to someday be with Him.

6. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
      Jo_Goldsmith11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes I do. I said the prayer of repentance when I was 14 years old. I felt so loved after I said that prayer that I couldn't stop weeping. This was the first time up to that point in my life, I really felt loved.  When I was 30, I had just went through a year and half of some traumatic experiences. I said the prayer and I begged forgiveness to those I had hurt. A different feeling came over me. I felt led to confess more often than the years before how God saved me and the torment he went through on the cross. I was responsible for some of it. This is when I left the catholic church and Baptist and haven't looked back.  It was two years ago, I went to God again.

I hiked up the mountain in my area. I reached the top and looked out. I must of spent the whole day up there, because it started to get dark hiking back down. While I was on the mountain. I felt the gentle breeze and birds singing. The green leaves on the trees below swayed back and forth like if God was there with me in spirit and waving his hands over me.
      Soon after I found what my name meant and within the same week, I found the scripture that became apart of who I am today.

I have been in a building with other people who love God twice in the past 25 years. My "church" is my body, the state of my heart and thoughts. I believe while we draw close to him to find our truth. He draws closer to us and reveals it. It was the Catholic denomination who started collecting money because it was Roman Catholic back in the day. The Bible doesn't tell the whole story. There are parts that are not included, books not included. There is proof with the new discoveries of the lost dead sea scrolls.
      How often do you go to church? answered this one above

Are you in leadership or active volunteer in your church? I create non profits and I help those who need it when I am led to do so. I actively share through my writings, words of hope, encouragement and I try to keep the truth in my heart and not  judge others. Because I am not them and it's not my path. I  have learned to stay away from topics I don't understand or will push people away. I watch what I say and how I say it. I think it comes with spiritual maturity as you walk with the creator. We all have our own path.

I have found my church through meditation on the top of the most beautiful mountain, it's called "Angel windows".  I sit, meditate and re train my thoughts and heart it has helped. I believe as we journey we grow and when he knows we can handle certain information, it is revealed. 
      This past year, I just found out my ancestors are Jewish. Our family goes
      back to Nazi Germany. My great, great grandmother was in the concentration camp and she married a Nazi solider who fell in love with her.
      They had a daughter, my great grandmother. Her name was Grace. My name in Hebrew means God's Gracious gift. We have several Joanne's and Johns and Grace in our genealogy. smile

Yeshua  is Amazing! 
      Letting my light Shine,
      The flame of truth will  seek
      Every heart
      Every soul
      We are in the Lord's reach
      Be good to your fellow man
      Use these words when you speak

Shalom

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7886257.png

7. The0NatureBoy profile image57
      The0NatureBoyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Q) Do you consider yourself "born again?"
      A) Yes, I'm born again with a testimony of my conception, gestation, trivial, birth, babyhood, childhood and now 29 years an adolescent.  (see http://prop1.org/protest/elijah/author.htm)

Q) What church or type of service do you attend?
      A) The term church means the called out from the world and the only service it require is sharing the understanding of life I have obtained by living the nomad's life John 3:8 require of the reborn.

Q) How often do you go to church?
      A) I have been called out since my new birth on August 6, 1976 at 5pm when I separated from serving money at Southwestern Bell telephone company of Dallas, Texas, therefore, it's not something to attend it's something to become.

Q) Are you in leadership or active volunteer in your church?
      A) To be church is to volunteer to, first, learn the spirit or understanding of existence and, second, share it with anyone who inquire of your understanding. 

Q) Have you always belonged to this denomination, or have you changed to a different type of worship in adulthood?
      A) Being reborn I am not divided, I'm united with all life as a fellow sojourner in learning all there is to learn concerning existence.  However, when I was reincarnated this time I was raised Baptist but my new birth made me an Atheist {one who has found no god except one's own lifeforce since that's what he who is called Jesus the christ considered god, see http://the0natureboy.hubpages.com/hub/W … ans-To-Me}-Christian {one who follows the life and teachings of the one called the christ} and that doesn't require worshipping but to be objective enough seek substance and evidence to support what one believes (Hebrews 11:1).

8. classicalgeek profile image82
      classicalgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No.
      Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia
      I used to go several times a week, however now my church moved about 45 miles away so I go a few times a year when possible.
      When I attended regularly I was on parish council and in choir
      Changed from Presbyterian via C of E through an unlikely set of circumstances.

2. Petra Vlah profile image61
    Petra Vlahposted 11 years ago

I was born and baptized as a Greek Orthodox, therefor I am a Christian and I will always keep my faith.
    I totally resent the "born again" ones that believe that they are the only "true" Christians - that is nothing more than arrogance and ignorance combined, the worst type of religious fanaticism. I happen to know a few of those "Christians" and considering their actions and "values" I believe Jesus will want them to go away

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can think of a whole lot more religious fanaticism worse than just calling yourself a true Christian.

But, it is interesting that you "totally resent" a particular group of Christians. Even most non-believers would never utter such a thing. Seems that hatred and bigotry are alive and well within Christianity itself.

1. Petra Vlah profile image61
        Petra Vlahposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What I said and what you understood are two different things. What I resent is a limited group of people "the born again" to proclaim that they are the ONE and ONLY true Christians, excluding everyone else who believes in Jesus and follows the religious values of love and tolerance.

To resent does NOT mean to hate and does not imply bigotry: it is just a rejection of  their nerves to exclude the rest of us and monopolize the faith.
        I do agree with you that there is plenty wrong with Christianity at large (as it is with most religions) that are promising "salvation" ONLY to a restricted group of people.

You just repeated yourself.

Then perhaps, you used the wrong word, you probably meant to say 'reject' and not resent?

Yes, resent can imply bigotry and hatred.

1. profile image0
            Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

If someone asked for young Christian girls to post about their personal struggles going to church camp whilst on their periods, you would still find a reason to post on that thread.

Why are you derailing this thread to fabricate lies about me?

1. profile image0

hahaha

2. Shanna11 profile image76
              Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hahahaha I could see that happening, too. It's okay ATM. Just some lighthearted teasing.

I found it to be puerile and intellectually stunted. smile

1. Shanna11 profile image76
                  Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Which explains why I laughed. My humor has not yet matured. tongue

2. profile image0

I hope you're not chatting... this isn't a chat forum... it's... well I spose ppl chat here all the time.... I don't know where I heard you couldn't.

2. aguasilver profile image70

Just in case I have been misunderstood, when I stated: "There is ONLY one body of believers, the rest is just doctrines and tradition." I was not referring to any specific Christian sects or denominations.

I was stating that God has His people in the world, scattered and hidden amongst all the 'churches' and a denomination can be wrong, yet still have sincere and genuine believers in them.

But there is ONLY one body of Christ to belong to, even if God has allowed His people to be hidden inside 33,000+ denominations.

God always has His remnant.

As for the born again aspect, well Christ did say we needed to be born again, but there are no definitions as to when that takes place, or to who it occurs.

Being born into a section of the faith neither hinders or aids coming to faith in Christ. 

God has no grandchildren, each and every believer needs to have come to faith and ceased their rebellion directly with God through Christ and been in-filled with the Holy Spirit.

That process may take a lifetime or five minutes, and each of us determine how long that takes.

3. Leon Elijah profile image65
    Leon Elijahposted 11 years ago

Hello All
    Jesus Christ was not a Christian who belonged to a Religious Institutional Church. so much of my answers will not fit into your questioning, my apoligies. I am what He is.
    I am a son of God, and God is my Father.

In order to be part of this spiritual family, you must be born of the Spirit. I am born of the Spirit

I am part of the Body of Christ, the Kingdom of God

I do not go to Church, I am the "Called Out".

I am a spiritual father over my spiritual household of sons

Have you always belonged to this denomination, or have you changed to a different type of worship in adulthood?
    I have journeyed from demonational Pentocostalism, Charasmaticism, Apostolic Reformation and have found my self is my older days being a son in  my Fathers House.

1. aguasilver profile image70

Amen

2. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with Leon.  Jesus was not a christian he was a man who was made holy as the son of God.  We are all made in the image of God meaning it doesn't matter what color or creed or race you are.  I believe in a Higher Power but I don't believe in organized religion as it wasn't supposed to be organized in the first place.  Jesus' true message was to be good to others and treat others as you want to be treated.  Don't be greedy (churches are greedy).  Jesus never built a church or temple, he tore them down always teaching in nature. 

Man made organized religion, not God or Jesus.  Organization religion was birthed from greed so one can be more powerful than others.  I go to 'church' everday when I wake up and am breathing and talking to my Higher Power.  Nature is the amphitheatre and my body the temple.

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I feel much closer to God in Nature. I like the way Emily Dickinson put it in her poem, "Some Keep the Sabbath Going to Church." The last stanza:

God preaches, a noted Clergyman –
        And the sermon is never long,
        So instead of getting to Heaven, at last –
        I’m going, all along.

1. Daddio Hepcat profile image59
          Daddio Hepcatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0
            Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wanka Tanka - Everything is formed together in a circle as the cycle of life.  Mother Earth and Father Sky ....if you listen to the wind it guides us, the water refreshes us and the earth provides for us. Take care of nature and you will be taken care of.
            Yattahey

4. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Thank you all for participating. I would love to get some more hubbers on here.
    Don't yet have sufficient evidence to either support of disprove my theory.
    But there are inklings coming through...

Thanks again. Oh, as you are out and about on the forums sparring with
    atheists, secularists and/or the really diehard Christians among us (we have
    some celebrities in that regard) please send them my way!

Best,
    MM

5. MartinKennyDesign profile image61
    MartinKennyDesignposted 11 years ago

Do you consider yourself "born again?" answer Yes
    What church or type of service do you attend? Answer Presbyterian but in the past Baptist and Brethren
    How often do you go to church? Answer  2 -3 times a week
    Are you in leadership or active volunteer in your church?  Answer Volunteer
    Have you always belonged to this denomination, or have you changed to a different type of worship in adulthood? Answer  See answer 2

6. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 11 years ago

I only attended church for a while in 3rd & 4th grade, all I learned was  “Jesus loves the little children this I know …”   and a little in my mid teens.  In my early 20s I tried it again for my wife’s sake.  This is when I started noticing things being taught differently than how I was reading them in the bible. 
    One instance, ... Matthew 24.  It says that this is a private (important word “private”) conversation between Jesus and four of the disciples…. When You see this and when You see that, .. they are going to do this and that TO YOU!   
    It was then that I decided the church wasn’t teaching some of these things correctly (in my opinion and my questions were being ignored).  I moved away from organized religion for about 20 years and occasionally studied the bible for short periods of time.       I tried Church again, it seemed as though they were still teaching from a different book than the one I was reading; except for the Jesus loves me and died for our sins parts. And the love thy neighbor as thy self parts, etc. etc.   But as for the prophesy (?)  it seemed as though everyone interpreted these to mean stuff other than what I thought was clearly understandable exactly as written.
    Finally, reaching the end of my story, being a  Historists, I feel like a hypocrite   "sitting quietly"    in a futurists church. 
    =======
         MM wrote     Just curious. I have a theory. Wondering if it will pan out.
    Thank you!
    MM
    ========
    Let us know when you have made your conclusions

7. profile image52
    mmkingposted 11 years ago

1] Yes I consider myself born again.
    2] I go to a nondenominational church and we read/study directly from the Bible
    3] I try to go to church every week. I work an over night shift Saturdays until 330 am and sometimes a lack of sleep gets in the way. But I attend evening services sometimes at another church if I end up missing.
    4] I am a youth group leader at my church, help in the nursery, assisted with decorating a women's ministry outreach event, assisting with online advertising for a charity sale
    5] I was baptized Catholic and attended ocassionally as a child but I never got meaning from attending those services. I feel at home and love from my church family

8. Shanna11 profile image76
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

Kind of? I dunno really. It depends on what you mean by "Born Again". Probably not in the traditional Christian sense. Mormons don't really place a big emphasis on the traditional Christian view of being "Born again" although we do talk about it.

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. 3 hours of church meetings every Sunday.

To my actual church building for Sunday services-- every Sunday. But I also attend religion classes a couple times a week.

Yep.

Always belonged to it.

9. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 11 years ago

I) Born again?  Nope

2)Church of England  ( we don't have a church and so have reasonably formal church services before the local pub opens. Sometimes we have quizzes and bands playing at other times which is much more informal and to which the community often responds and attend. We also have a multi faith craft club which is christian based but has members from the Muslim, Hindu, Sikh community as well as non believers. We welcome non believers  , especially those who  just want friendship )

3)Attendance Most Sundays , some Saturdays and alternate Tuesdays as my belief is that Church happens when there are two or more people together in the spirit of Christianity

4) Leadership and  volunteer - it is a small church

5) always been C of E

1. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60

Are there no Churchs in England at all? Wasn't there a church where HRH Charles and Princess of Hearts Lady Di married in one? That is neat that your community is all inclusive. smile  "What does C of E" mean?
      Wishing you health, happiness & peace. smile

10. Joy56 profile image66
    Joy56posted 11 years ago

I am a christian, but not born again.

I do believe in Christ, but feel that he who endures to the end is the one that will be saved.  I dont believe we can be born again, and have the knowledge to say we are saved no matter what.

I attend religious meetings at least twice a week.

I read the bible often, and study it.

Hope that is what you were looking for.,

11. SwordofManticorE profile image70
    SwordofManticorEposted 11 years ago

I am a follower of Christ, but do not attend any Christian churches, nor do I desire it. I do desire fellow ship, but not with most Christians. I follow the gospel taught to me by the apostel Paul. The gospel of universal reconciliation of all mankind with God. Which today is not palatable for most Christians.

12. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

To answer the op, I am more of a generic brand.

13. A Troubled Man profile image57
    A Troubled Manposted 11 years ago

I am a baked again pastafarian. My sauce runneth over. Alfredo be thy name.

Surely, goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life as I have been touched by His noodly apendage.  He WAS and IS the Feta Cheese, for the salad is at hand. Ye must be baked again.

RAmen.

1. profile image0

It's funny how you don't get banned for the things you say, isn't it? Someone told me they thought you were actually a member of HP staff, but I don't go in for those conspiracy theories much. You sure do skate under the radar a lot.

1. JMcFarland profile image70
        JMcFarlandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What exactly about this do you find ban-worthy?

1. profile image0

Well if he were gay (not a personal comment, it was just the first ex. that jumped into my mind) and I began to say a bunch of similar jokes, but with a homosexual spin on them, it would be considered taking pot shots at a ppl group. Not a really cool thing to do.

1. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

big_smile  I think you missed out on something.  ATM refers to the FSM, the Flying Spaghetti Monster.  Google it.  Or just check:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

1. profile image0

Is this a monte python thing? lol

1. profile image0

Ah, so now that Ive read that... yeah... still kind of offensive.
                My husband was wondering if the idea for that came from a Richard Dawkins book.

this is what I see to be the problem.  Atheists like to poke fun at things we think to be ridiculous.  We're not "offended" by your religion, just a lot of the actions that your religion dictates as a result.  But when we make up our own "beliefs" just as a joke, you find it offensive.  You're offended by a lack of belief, and you're offended by a made up belief.  What doesn't offend you?  Perhaps humanity is just too quick to be offended by practically everything that doesn't fall in love with your own beliefs, and that's just silly.

1. profile image0

Or you misunderstand.
                    Alright... lets use your "dad" as an example. Your a kid and he is off at war serving His country.
                    The kids in the neighborhood say your dad is probably dead. You say you have letters from him, but they call you a loser and tell you you live in fantasy land. Then they mock you, saying they have an invisible soldier father too who... (start filling in absurdities that replaces a soldier made of spaghetti, or a soldier being tortured as a sort of joke etc.)

Now I know how this works... you say that's nothing like this or whatever argument you might come up with. What Im trying to reveal to you, is that this is not a religion for many of us... it's a relationship. You mock our father... someone we know and love. Im sorry you can't see Him, and that you don't believe, but that is your issue. It has nothing to do with my faith in God. Why is it so incredibly important to mock? Where is that old statement "Live and let live?" in your life vocabulary? If you can't say something nice....

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

It isn't anywhere near as offensive as your religion.

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

YOU are the one who insults people personally, you use this place as a personal chat room and say anything you want, but when others offer their opinions and ideas, you're offended, even when they haven't said a word about you. It's hilarious. lol

2. Zelkiiro profile image87
      Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You dare to bring forth this blasphemy before the High Priest of Zoamelgustar?!

You both are doomed to an eternity in burning Alfredo sauce for your heresy.

1. profile image0

Plus I hope your waiter sucks.

(Do not ban me for that one, it was just a joke!)

2. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60

Hey that is a great name! "Zoamelgustar". I have read some of your hubs. I bet you would write an amazing story and have it be the top 10 on the New York list of amazing characters. Now what kind or role does this character have?

14. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

The Presbyterian Church is an old tradition with my family (we came from Scotland), so I grew up Presbyterian. I've tried out other denominations, but so far, I've found the Presbyterian to be the least judgmental, and I like that. Our ministers don't teach "fire and brimstone" - they preach love, acceptance, and the importance of trying our best to follow the teachings of Christ.

I don't attend church regularly, as I have some problems with organized religion. I can and do read the Bible for myself, and I speak with God on a daily basis - usually several times a day. I know right from wrong, too. (Believe it or not!) lol

My youngest daughter has been going to a local Episcopal church, and she really likes it. It's laid back, and it has a lot of young members. My Presbyterian church is "dying out." Most of the members are ancient, and there are few children there. My grandkids will have a lot more opportunities at other churches, so I totally understand my daughter's feelings about attending a different church. She wants me to join her there, and I think I'll give it a go.

15. agilitymach profile image93
    agilitymachposted 11 years ago

I am "born again," although I would use different words to describe it.

I am a member of the Church of the Nazarene.

I go to church twice a month.  i would go every week, but I work many Sundays.

I have previously been very active in leadership positions in the church, including paid positions and music ministry positions.  Currently, I volunteer as my work schedule allows.

I was raised in the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.  It is a great denomination, but my theology lead me more toward the classical Wesleyan views of the Church of the Nazarene.  I became a Nazarene in my late 20s.

16. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 11 years ago

- Do you consider yourself "born again?" I don't think Christianity understands what this means; it is not saying a sinner's prayer.

- What church or type of service do you attend? None I left 3 years ago after 25 years when I realised that 80% of what is preached is manmade doctrine and misunderstanding. I wouldn't fit in now as I believe the bible and logic clearly support universal salvation.

- How often do you go to church? Weddings and funerals.

- Are you in leadership or active volunteer in your church? Was treasurer for three years.

- Have you always belonged to this denomination, or have you changed to a different type of worship in adulthood? Was Penticostal.

17. insearchof truth profile image85
    insearchof truthposted 11 years ago

I am 'born again'. Church is a mainly human creation that God is stuck working in. I don't believe in denomination, but one faith, one baptism, one body. I 'volunteer' everyday by doing what God puts in front of me. I wrote a book on hypocrisy.

God is a human creation we are all stuck with.

1. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60

But we all don't have to believe or accept it, right?
        This is the part of choices. I wish you well troubled man.
        I know with all the "trouble" our lives, our world is in.
        I find it to be poetic that you chose a name that could be for
        anyone. I hope one day you can accept your new name

"Triumph Man" smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)