Why are "believers" so loved?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 76 discussions (191 posts)
  1. Davinagirl3 profile image61
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I would like to take this time to show appreciation and gratitude to the true believers out there.  Some of the Christians on HP have presented themselves so eloquently, it has given me a new respect for Christians.  Those of you who have maintained integrity, and defended your beliefs, have been really inspiring.  My hat's off to you.

1. Jane@CM profile image59
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are inspiring!  Thanks for making this post!!!

2. Carlmighty profile image59
      Carlmightyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just to add my opinion. It is not Christians that are good, but the one that lives inside of them and that is Christ the hope of all glory.

Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This thread is all about hope and glory.  This is a thread to restore the spirit of the true believer.  I invite you to use this thread to give glory to God.  If that is what you want to do, I think this is a great place to do it.

2. profile image0
        SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is not only your opinion, but it in fact the truth. Without Him we cannot love. We love Him because He loved us first.

1. profile image0
          sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am not trying to pick a fight or anything with you sir dent, but I just wonder why you feel you cannot love without him.  The bible clearly states that people who do not believe can love too. smile

1. profile image0

You can love without Him, but it is a limited love which actually is instilled in man by Him anyway.

1. UpHisAss profile image60
              UpHisAssposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well done Sir Dent. Show them the christian love....

http://z.hubpages.com/u/660312_f520.jpg

"If you are pregnant and are thinking of having an abortion, please read this whole article and think about what you are planning on doing."

http://hubpages.com/hub/whydidntigetachance

Limited love indeed.......

1. profile image0

Pretty unfair statement seeing as though even so called Christains with real love have gotten abortions. wink

2. profile image0

You know, I wonder if you remember writing this post.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/21694#post368746

In that post you stated,"So, it is time for me to stop interacting here. I will leave you in peace to congratulate each other about how much you "love" everyone and looking forward to the party you will be enjoying in heaven."

So what happened? I didn't agree with much that you ever said, but I always thought you at least had integrity. I guess not.

3. Precious Pearl profile image76
      Precious Pearlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Davinagirl3,

Thank you for writing this post.  It truly blessed me.  It was so nice to see a positive statement. It touched me and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Thank you, Precious Pearl.  I truly believe that this thread has worked to mend some bridges.  I think, regardless of religion, God would rather see us all getting along together.  We're all here for the same reason.

1. Precious Pearl profile image76
          Precious Pearlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe that you are right ... we are all here because of our love for writing.  I honor Him when I walk in the love that He treasures.  We can get along without being hurtful to one another.

4. chukra G profile image60
      chukra Gposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i couldn't see your hat. (just kidding)

5. mealdates profile image60
      mealdatesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As a Christian, I try to give encouragement.

6. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its love which bonds, love for truth or love for god. smile

7. carolegalassi profile image61
      carolegalassiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Christian believers look at life differently.  They can show many fruits of the Spirit, some which are, love, peace, kindness, gentleness, etc, etc.  Y

2. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

You rock, Davina! Great post.

3. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

Believers are loved because they give us hope in something miraculous and the freedom to reach beyond what we know and strive for what could be. In belief is potential and in potential possibility. In Christ I find the possibility to rise above my own faults and mistakes and through belief move closer to a better me then has ever been, and I see that in helping others and loving them for the priceless individuals that they are that I open myself up to in turn be loved and helped. But that's just my opinion.

This is a great post.  I have to read some of your hubs.

Scott, you have a new fan!

2. profile image0
      philip carey 61posted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Loving them for the priceless individuals they are." Beautifully said.

4. Davinagirl3 profile image61

I think it is funny that the thread about love has only had two posts, while the thread about hate was blowing up, yesterday.  Thanks, Irohner and Scott.

5. Pr0metheus profile image58
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

Because true believers are confident in their faith, so they don't have to argue against non-believers.

I believe in a god (well, more like a collective unconscious for me).

I agree.  I just wish the true believers would show up and get their kudos.

2. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're smart

6. mayhmong profile image74
    mayhmongposted 14 years ago

Thanks to them I'm still chilling here. smile

7. Sanctus Vesania profile image61
    Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years ago

Well, simple truth of the matter is, my own faith is weak, and defending it would futile.  That's I'm happy to have God given faith, and belief, because those need no defending.

And that makes it easy to chill out here.

I should give more thanks to you, Sanctus.  You believe your faith is weak, but you shined with eloquence yesterday.  You gave everyone pause.  If you want to give the glory to God, go ahead, but you did his work yesterday.

8. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image60
    I*n*v*i*c*t*u*sposted 14 years ago

Awesome! So shall believers be loved as "all" shall... we all believe in something and it is our journey to seek our personal truth ! smile

9. Davinagirl3 profile image61

Welcome Jane and INVICTUS!  I was moved by your posts as well.  Jane, I am glad you have never felt "hated" by anyone on the religious posts.  Keep your faith and your good attitude and you will be able to change the climate of the religious forums for the better.

10. Sybil Marie profile image61
    Sybil Marieposted 14 years ago

Hi Great thread! smile

Hi Sybil, thank you for your posts.  Welcome to our non-controversial religious thread.  We have nothing but love and gratitude here.  As an homage to your faith, I give you thanks.

11. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image60
    I*n*v*i*c*t*u*sposted 14 years ago

Love and light!

Add some tread to the thread! big_smile

12. Davinagirl3 profile image61

I want to keep this one going, so the "hate" thread will disappear.  I think of it as a way to reclaim the religious thread in the true spirit of Christianity.

13. profile image49
    BadCoposted 14 years ago

I am a firm believer in God, always have been without a shadow of a doubt. But that is my own personal belief and not yours so I keep it to myself. In the end we all die and then and only then will we be judged. Not by some looney tune on a Forum, lol that's all Folks smile

Bet ya never guessed I was Religious !

I have known that you are a good person, Badco.  You are fighting to be on the side of "right".  Thank you for posting.

2. profile image0

I knew you were.  I just like you because you are still you and not trying to be so holy you forget that you are human.  smile

1. profile image49
        BadCoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Awwwww cheers Sandra, you are a little star who you know I would get into battle for lol, nobody picks on Sandra Rinck when I am logged on smile

14. SweetiePie profile image80
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I believe in God too and try to keep it more personal.  I think some of the Christians have been kind about sharing their faith, but others are more aggressive.  The non-religious may appear hostile to some, but I think they are just irritated about someone telling them what they have to believe.  With the non-religious people at least I do not feel judged by my actions as I do with some of the staunch Christians.  At the end of the day I just do not enjoy arguing religion.  Could people on all sides be more polite about it, absolutely!  Of course the best way to achieve that goal might be to write hubs on religion rather than post on the forum.  I noticed on hubs there is just usually a different tone.  Not better or worse, just usually a bit less heated.

15. Davinagirl3 profile image61

Hi Sandra, Sweetie, and A Texan
    Welcome to a kinder, gentler, Christian forum.  Whether you are a believer, or non-believer, you have contributed to the cause.  I am considered a "non-believer" because I don't adhere to the dogma, but I do see the beauty of the faith.  Also, I want to see if a non-contraversial thread can survive among the forums.  The thread about "hate" thrived.  I want to see how long a thread about "love" will last.

1. profile image0

I am considered a non believer as well and I do hope that a love thread will survive the hate thread.

16. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

What a lovely tribute, Davina.  I am a nonbeliever, but I have great respect for many, many believers on this site.  I learn valuable lessons from many of them daily, in my life and here.  I think the climate here is about to change for the better, so many reasons...  This thread being one of them.  Thanks for posting this.  smile

Thank you for contributing, Wordscribe.  A lot of us "non-believers" were slandered with the "hate" thread.  I think it is most beneficial for us to speak out and say that we may not believe the way the "believers" do, but we still respect their intelligence and respect their right to speak out.  I hope that some of the angry Christians will read this and know that there is nothing to be angry about.

17. profile image49
    BadCoposted 14 years ago

Thing is I don't care if you are a non believer, I still love the person for what they are not in what they believe !

1. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said, Badco!

1. profile image49

I think Davina deserves a big hug for this thread, its really shown that we have a Community spirit here still despite the turmoils of the last few days. Well done Davina, take a bow young lady !

1. profile image0

I second the notion. big_smile

18. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

She deserves a big hug unconditionally! tongue

19. Lisa Colorado profile image60
    Lisa Coloradoposted 14 years ago

Why believers are loved. Because they are open to it.

1. profile image49
      PirateGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aye Aye !

20. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I'm a believer, but in the strictest accords of the church I am seen as a non-believer, as I dare to mix science with my religion.

For me, I see a need for staunch believers and non-believers alike, as one grounds us to the physical world we live in and the other reminds us of the ethereal world awaiting us when we pass on.

I think the think that pleases me most about this thread is that it's a bunch of people getting together to say they are okay with religion and that they chose not to fight about it.

Let everyone live as they will, I say ... for it is their job to tend to their own sheep.

And Badco, I also knew you were religious, but like myself, you keep it inside of yourself and don't force it upon others. You also keep an open mind to every thing around you. That's what makes you are.

I do feel more comfortable with the non-believers, but only because they don't pass judgment upon me and are willing to acknowledge the small personal successes I have. As such, I would prefer to drink beer with the dregs than to sip wine with the kings and queens.

Does any of that make sense? smile

(and here's a hug for you Davinagirl ... ya earned it)

1. profile image49

It does and nicely put my friend !

21. profile image0

It's a funny thing that title, Christian. Originally it meant those who follow Christ or the Christ. Yet today many of those who would call themselves that live in a way that Christ abhorred and rejected. Religion, tradition, dogma, rituals, all these things Jesus stood against and opposed. He came that a person could talk directly to God at any time in anyway without need for an intermediary or rite. however Christianity has become just what Christ opposed. Many that call themselves believers differ from the Jewish authorities of Jesus day in name only.Many though but not all. The truth of the matter is most Christians are humble loving people merely trying to live a life of love and servitude towards man. To say you are not a believer because you can't follow the Dogma or rituals is not really right though you are allowing those who deem themselves worthy to define your faith. You are a believer more pure then most.Your faith is your own and your relationship with God an intimate and personal thing.

To even the atheist out there I would say that you too have a relationship with God, just a strained and distant one. On your deathbed I would not be surprised that you meet God regardless of what you believed on earth and he will welcome you all the same just as a shepherd rejoices over the lost sheep that was found.I hate to use this cliche but I have found it to be simple and true, I too was once far from God I shook my fist at him often and dared him to show his face to me, but he never did. So I lost my belief but he never lost his in me. Now i do see his face every time I look in the mirror. Not to say that I am God but that he is in me, I see him in every face I pass by and in every faith and view.I do not believe that you can say you believe in the almighty God then ridicule the things he created on this earth, when you do you are ultimately expressing doubt towards his judgment, and aligning yourself towards another who does the same.

I know that when I walk in my fathers presence many years from now that I will see many a Hindu, Jew , and Buddhist close at hand, except that I won't see them as who they were on earth or what they believe. I will see them revealed for who they are just another child of God and I will rejoice to be reunited with my fellow children of God. To all those whom some would label Non-believer I say cast off that title. Just as I might sin, I am not a sinner, I am just a man. You may not believe in Christian theology but that doesn't make you a non-believer, just an individual searching for your own truth.

1. yoshi97 profile image56
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ya summed it all up quite well smile

22. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

People with a quiet faith shine. They don't have to preach. But I also think that the confrontational stuff serves a purpose for both sides. It's just that, once you get past it, you're past it. It's enough.

That sounds snottier than I really mean it. Some people have to work things out vocally, loudly, and for a long time. It's just kinda who they are. smile

1. ledefensetech profile image68
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think we're in agreement Pam.  It's like that old saw says:  "What you do shouts so loudly, I cannot hear what you say".  That's always been a personal favorite of mine.

2. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They do shine Pam. smile I can still see that shine when I think of many wonderful religious friends.

Their beliefs are evident in every thing they do for the world with respect and love daily.

One of my dear friends is a minister in an inner city church. He is an older man, yet has the respect of all the street dwellers, and homeless kids that are sadly in our city.
      He never speaks about his religion at all, he just lives it all day and night helping to bring love to these people.

When he sees adversity his eyes change with his strong inner faith something takes place. I have seen him cry openly in the situation and then the sad eyes change to a quiet determination that is not easy to ignore.

He is in his eighties and in my view a very powerful human. smile

23. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Have to agree with the above, Davina - you have started such a nice thread that I even ended my self-imposed exile from the religion forum. Is it just me, or is there a dangerous plague of moderates taking over this thread? big_smile

BadCo, Yoshi, Scott - You pretty much summed everything up. I walk my own spiritual path and I am happy with that. I have no pressing need to convert anybody to my way of thinking - folks will find their own way in life smile

24. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Oh Davina That was so sweet and it refreshing to see something uplifting again. smile

25. Sybil Marie profile image61
    Sybil Marieposted 14 years ago

How refreshing is this thread! I am fairly new to these forums and since my faith is the most important thing tomeI gravitated to the ones on God.This Is the first one I have been in that is all about Love!
    To me God is my breath and my life! He has kept me safe through the storms in my life. There is a verse somewhere in the Bible that says with-in him I live and move and have my being. It took me along time to understand that verse for myself. But now it makes sense. I am the fish and he is the water.The water provides everything the fish needs, air, food, It surrounds the fish and it fills the fish as air fills our lungs.
    Again thank you for starting this thread!

I was telling my husband how grateful I was for this thread because my mother was rushed to the hospital this morning with, what we thought, might be a heart attack.  I had to wait to find out whether she was okay, or not, and while I waited I started this thread.  I was comforted by the spirit of community.  If there is a God in Heaven, I know he is smiling down upon us, now.  You all have comforted me more than you will know.  My mother is okay.  It wasn't a heart attack.  I owe you all a debt of gratitude because you don't know me, but you have shared love and a spirit of togetherness that I could take part in.  It has made all the difference in the world.

A stranger is merely a person who we haven't made an acquaintance with yet. Having read your words on the forums, I think we are beyond the stranger part enough that we can offer kind words when needed. smile

Thank you, Yoshi.  I really appreciate it.

2. sannyasinman profile image61
          sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is an old Irish saying "A stranger is a friend you have yet to meet".

3. sannyasinman profile image61
          sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is an old Irish saying "A stranger is a friend you have yet to meet".

2. Sufidreamer profile image80
        Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Glad that it all worked out OK - that must have been frightening for you all. Sometimes, amongst all of the animosity and fear, a small beacon can guide you out of the darkness.

Whether folks are believers or not, good deeds take on a life of their own and spread. Your thread has played its part in making the world a nicer place smile

3. ledefensetech profile image68

Glad to hear your mother is fine, I'm sure she's in all of our prayers.

She collapsed with exhaustion.  She works way too hard, considering her age and heart condition.  I think this was a wake up call for her to start taking it easy.

Isn't that the worst?  My mom has back pain and as a consequence falls at times.  It got to be so bad that we thought seriously about getting her one of those Life Alert things.  I don't have to tell you to make sure your mom takes care of herself.  She sounds like she's worked hard all her life, she should take time to enjoy the fruits of all that hard labor.

Your mom is probably like mine.  She doesn't rest... ever.  Her days off consist of re-arranging her house, or scrubbing the floors.  She has been a hard worker all her life.  She has never known a life with out a lot of hard labor.

4. profile image0

smile  So happy she is okay and you too. love you Davina!

26. Davinagirl3 profile image61

I would like to thank all the great people who have contributed to this thread.

27. DennisBarker profile image60
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

I'm happy to contribute some love to this thread, I've got my own path,and i hope to learn a  great deal here, and share some of myself with love.

28. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Oh what a great idea Davina!
    I wish I had done this rather than post the opposing post that I did!
    Love to you all! This is a well behaved mob we have here, but certainly not a retiring one, Hello PG! smile

I believe the heart soul and spirit needs nourishment. I choose to define these things differently to some believers. smile

Thanks, Ernest.  We have all managed to share a great deal of love and support here today.  No one has questioned each other, or degraded the others' beliefs.  We have all been very supportive.  Everyone deserves a pat on the back.  It was mentioned, yesterday, that only contraversial threads get any attention.  As a community, we have proved that theory to be false.

1. Sufidreamer profile image80
        Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The controversial threads make a lot of noise, annoy everybody and then implode after a couple of weeks.

This thread, on the other hand, is one that people will come back to for a long time, to enjoy a quiet chat and a chill. smile

29. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Oh I just stumbled upon this thread (as ya do) and Davina love you to pieces!! way to go girl smile

You and Pearl rock deserve medals from us all , thankyou!

I believe the good in people will always triump over bad smile

Eaglekiwi!!! I thought you'd never show up.  Welcome to the thread of community.  I have lucked out with this endevour.  This topic has gone over better than I ever expected.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Build a bridge sweetie .....and they will come wink

https://www.basketvilleaustralia.com.au/img/products/main/Flwr15.jpg

1. profile image0

I thought it was a field Eaglekiwi, but that's okay.  smile  Good to see you here.  You're one of the people who inspires me on HP.

Me too.  Your irreverence always puts things into proper perspective.  You always bring a smile to my face. smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
            Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No they got the field quote from the bridge one ,lol smile but yea its all good , geeze no matter ,they can come by hot air ballon if they want huh lol

1. profile image0

It was a joke, silly, about the field smile  Hope you have a great weekend everyone!!!

30. yoshi97 profile image56

Another great saying I just remembered ... goodness is not a slap across the face, but rather, a soft caress on the cheek. smile

I, now, know it to be true!  I just wish some of the hubbers who think that we are full of hatred would've shown up on this thread.  Maybe, we could have shown them that it is possible for us all to get along.  I think we have learned a lot from each other, today.  And, no one had to preach, brow-beat, or slap anyone across the face!

31. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Stop it already , awww shucks , does that mean we can have drinkies soon too lol

Notices a slight ruffle in the rafters,( yea I know ya gotta be peeking) moderation is fine He said so wink...

Can I get a Vodka-Cran?  Then the party can really get started.

32. earnestshub profile image79

Someone roll a decent joint and I'll join ya! smile (grog makes me crook.)  smile
    i must add that I can drink a fair bit of very expensive champagne. lol

1. profile image0

Here ya go!  Courtesy of Sandra. big_smile

1. earnestshub profile image79

Ahh! Now that is smooth! Sandra your the business! smile

Now lets all see what our delightful hostess has in mind... smile

2. Davinagirl3 profile image61

Puff, puff, pass!!!

Is that love I'm feelin? smile smile smile smile smile smile

It's better than love!!! Just let it flow!

(spoken in a thick Eric Cartman accent - ala South Park) 'Ack! I detect some hippies might have snuck in among us! Run Kile!' smile

Eric Cartman is a very wonderfully written character.
                I liked all the characters.
                What a psychiatrist's feast. So funny! I love South Park. smile

33. RooBee profile image81
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

I just popped in & have to run - I'm so glad I caught this, though!! Davina, you are awesome - a beauty inside and out.

RooBee, you're just saying that about Davina because it's true! smile

I am blushing! I am glad this thread worked out.  It could have just fizzled and died.  I am glad everyone realized what it was all about and didn't think it was lame.  I really wish some of the "angry ones" could have seen it and taken part, but I guess not.  Hey! I tried.

Your post invited no malice, so they saw no need to arrive ...

You're right.  No face-slapping here, only cheek-caressing.  I like that one.  I will remember it.

34. earnestshub profile image79

Malice is hard to hide from some. smile I hope they stay away to be honest. I feel warm and fuzzy here! smile

I am thrilled we have made it a full day without someone showing up and getting mad about something.  This is like our own personal "love-in" thread.

It is one of the great things about hubpages. We meet each other through our writings! smile
        We often know quite a lot about each other's families and such.
        For just one example, anyone who knows wordscribe knows what a sexy lady she is. I use the word sexy in the knowledge that it has a very different meaning to some.

To me it is something people cannot hide. The love of children and family just spills on to the page as sexy to a partner who loves them as well!

I love seeing mothers who are dealing with children acknowledge the difficulties without responding negatively to them. Sexy behavior! smile

I love the talk that accidentally reveals the love of partners. Understanding and giving love are the sexiest things on the planet to a loving partner, and who else do you need to be sexy towards?! Good positive stuff you can see and feel love!

To a lot of us, writing is therapeutic.  Even if we vent through our writing, we can look at the piece and see our true meaning.  Hubpages has been a really helpful place for me.  I think of it as an oasis, of sorts, and I really like that so many different personalities can co-exist.  That is why it saddens me to see animosity.  We all have our battles in life. HP should be a place to escape them.

35. My Friend Shiyloh profile image61
    My Friend Shiylohposted 14 years ago

Love needs no defense and nothing can defend against love.

-Shiyloh

36. Cranoo profile image60
    Cranooposted 14 years ago

To non-christians: Do you know the way your never truly fulfilled and there's always something missing in your life, you never feel truly happy? That's because Jesus is missing and calling you.

And without accept Jesus into your heart you'll always feel that way. There's no two ways about it so don't even bother searching for an alternative because none exist.

You've got TWO choices:

Everlasting life with your Father who loves you so much.

OR...

Everlasting suffering with the man who wants you to fail and suffer.

The decision is yours and you'll get what you diserve.

37. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Ah Davina, it all was too good to be true. here we go again sad

38. Davinagirl3 profile image61

I spoke too soon.  Oh well.  It's only a spark until someone pours on the gasoline.  I think it is only a test.

39. My Friend Shiyloh profile image61

That which is done in love never dies
    Though many rise against it in vain
    Love laughs at the enemies aligned
    Sees the hatred of men and cries

~Shiyloh~

That is beautiful.  I don't know if I have fanned you yet, Shiyloh.  Let me check.

40. My Friend Shiyloh profile image61

I am not sure if love can be fully defined with words.
    That is why love is an action.
    I like to remind myself what love would look like if one could not speak.

~Shiyloh~

41. My Friend Shiyloh profile image61

I think that I can get enough of love though, and that is the problem, that I get comfortable with what I think is enough. I wonder though, can love get enough of me, so that all that love is, I become, and I am consumed by love?

~Shiyloh~

42. Jerami profile image60
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

great thread   great reading.     thank you

43. Davinagirl3 profile image61

Well, we made it to 100 posts.  Good night, everyone.  I am going to bed, now.  See you tomorrow.

Ah no ya don't ... ya started this thread, now I say ya cant sleep until we all see it through!

Actually, ya did a good thing, which earned ya some rest. Good night Davina. smile

2. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sweet dreams smile

44. yoshi97 profile image56

Yes, Jarami, on this we can agree. smile

45. earnestshub profile image79

Have a great nights sleep! smile

46. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

Well if we're quoting poetry now, this has to be one of my favorites:

When our two souls stand up erect and strong,
    Face to face, silent, drawing nigh and nigher,
    Until the lengthening wings break into fire,
    At either curved point, - what bitter wrong
    Can the earth do us, that we should not long
    Be here contented?  Think!  In mounting higher,
    The angels would press upon us and aspire
    To drop some golden orb of perfect song
    Into our deep, dear silence.  Let us stay
    Rather on earth, Beleoved, - where the unfit
    Contrarious moods of men recoil away
    and isolate pure spirits, and permit
    A place to stand and love for a day,
    With darkness and the death-hour rounding it.

I still remember the day I first read that and it has remained with me ever since.  Thanks for the post Davina, it's been too long since I've read the wisdom of this long lost poet.  I thought I'd share it with you all and get your thoughts on it.

I guess I have stayed up a bit later than I thought I would.  I am glad I did.  I am glad I got to read this post.  The poem is beautiful and, with that, I really will go to bed, now.  Thanks again, everyone.

2. earnestshub profile image79

Lovely poem ledefencetech, It was  Elizabeth Barrett Browning was it not? smile

Got it in one.  Not only was she a superlative poet, she married one too.  Her husband is another favorite of mine.  Their courtship story is one for the ages.  Remarkable people, both of them.

I know nothing much about her, just read her poetry as a kid. smile Do tell more! smile

Oh goody, sounds like I'll have to do a hub.  I believe it will be about their courtship and life together.  It really is a remarkable story, you'd swear is was the plot to a romance novel except that those don't truly happen in real life.  Or do they?

Maybe they do happen to creative people more than others?
              I would love to read the hub. Please do write it. smile

47. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Good night Davina. Hope when you wake up this thread will still be in the top of the forums. It surely deserves that place. smile

48. Davinagirl3 profile image61

Good Morning, all.  I hate to say it, but I have never read Elizabeth Barrett Browning.  I would like to read a hub about her, too.  I haven't read poetry in ages.  I think it is just what I need right now.

49. profile image0

Very Nice poetry, think I'll have to give it a read. To all the non-believers and believers out there, have a great weekend I love you all even AW, though I'm no longer replying to anything you say. Insanity has descended on that other thread and its sad. You all be safe this weekend I have to get back to my writing. See you on Monday.

Have a Great Weekend, Scott.  See you on Monday.  Don't let the insanity bother you, even for a day.

50. Davinagirl3 profile image61

I would like to thank OneStopWriteShop for inspiring me today.  I guess she would be considered a "non-believer" for not being a staunch Christian, but she is a believer in my book... for what that's worth.  She believes in the power of the human spirit.  Here's to you, Katina.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)