Do we discover our talent or are we inherently born with it?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)
  1. gmaoli profile image60
    gmaoliposted 12 years ago

Do we discover our talent or are we inherently born with it?

2. jeyaramd profile image64
    jeyaramdposted 12 years ago

Its a bit of both. We all can depend on only good genes to get us through life. We have to put some effort. And leave the rest to the universe to align things in your favor. Great question. I think its counter productive to think too much about whether we have talent. We should seek talent within ourselves. We have so much potential within ourselves. Great question.

3. zzron profile image58
    zzronposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/3099312_f260.jpg

I think we discover it because we don't know what our talents are until we figure out what they are and develop them and improve them.

4. cyoung35 profile image80
    cyoung35posted 12 years ago

I think we all have a talent we are great at but we are not all willing to hone that talent to master it. Some of us are lazy, others may not have found their talent yet and many don't enjoy what talent they have. What ever your talent is you have to put in hard work to sharpen that talent.

5. Apostle Jack profile image61
    Apostle Jackposted 12 years ago

Some we are born with,some we are given,and some we discover. It all depends on what God have plan for ones life. If it comes natural it is given,or born with. One can discover any quality of life by searching.

6. pstraubie48 profile image80
    pstraubie48posted 12 years ago

i think it may be a little of both....we are born with it but we discover that we have it as our lives unfold.
    from the time i was tiny, i wanted to write. to put thoughts and feelings and ideas onto paper, to somehow document the goings on in my life, in the lives of those around me, and to record things happening in the world.
    that desire must have been there early on, even as i came onto the planet, and it was awakened as i was able to use that talent.

7. MazioCreate profile image67
    MazioCreateposted 12 years ago

I'm in agreeance with the other respondents on the answer to this question.  It's like the nature vs nuture or chicken and egg debates, because you can learn new skills and develop them to a very high level of competency. However, did you always have that latent talent and you just needed the right atmosphere for it to shine through? Thanks for a question gmaoli.

8. Attikos profile image82
    Attikosposted 12 years ago

You're born with talent. You develop it through learned skill.

Alternatively, you may be born without talent, and no amount of training can overcome that. The Pollyannish notion that everybody has one is fictitious.

9. onegoodwoman profile image69
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

I, personally, think, that we must give voice to what lies within us.

Good and able parents, stamp out creativity:

don't write on walls
    don't shout
    don't run
    don't speak out of turn.....

they devalue the imaginary friend........etc

( parents, YES, I believe in well parented, and well behaved children)

but, I have to wonder...........do we, as well meaning parents, suppress some creativity?

Doesn't the " creative" one, suffer pain, repression of some sort........don't they have to rise above their pain, just to give voice to it?

As a girl of the 60's, I was vaugley aware of the term " funny uncle"........today,  the term, pediophile is more prominent.......................WHAT about the girls of the 30's and 40's?

I think that society dictates that we suppress..........bad things, awful things, unpleasant things, cruel things, and even, yes, creative things.

10. Seek-n-Find profile image69
    Seek-n-Findposted 12 years ago

Interesting question!  I think we are born with the capacity towards certain talents and if we nurture them, they will mature and grow.  It's not so much that we learn them, but we practice the art of developing them.  Skills, on the other hand, are learned and they may be easy or difficult to acquire, but they can be learned just the same.  I believe that a unique form of greatness exists in each person.  In some it is released and comes to full maturity, while in others, unfortunately, it is squashed or denied and remains hidden, and is therefore never nourished or grows into its potential.

11. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

Born with it.

And, of course, we discover our talent. Mozart wasn't born attached to a piano.

The best of families are full of nurture and give great opportunities for the seeds of talent to grow. Some families despise talent and enjoy seeing it squandered. Such is the nature of ego.

12. otsipaku profile image78
    otsipakuposted 12 years ago

I think that probably we are somewhat born with it, but we still have to discover it! If we are great painters, but never try to paint, we won't discover our talent. Unfortunately it might take a lot of time to discover it and probably many never do.

13. rclinton5280 profile image63
    rclinton5280posted 12 years ago

Gmaoli, we definitely discover and learn our talents, just like every other part of our personality. Genes may determine your height, weight, eye color, etc., but genes do not teach you to  "keep your nose to the grindstone". That is something that is taught. The child of the most talented athlete in the world would become a clumsy buffoon if raised by clumsy buffoons. Posture, attitude, and response to fight or flight are all taught to us by our surroundings and guardians. These things and others like them are the things that allow us to achieve having a "talent". One person's genes may allow them to develop a skill/talent more fully than another person, but the gene itself does not create the talent. Good genes are like fertile soil. You can get a plant by placing a seed in bad soil, however  without the seed, the quality of the soil doesn't matter. Those "seeds" are the ideas and habits planted in us by our role models and grow out of our own perceptions. You are not born with the way you look at things, you are taught it. That point of view is what shapes your likes, dislikes, and talents. wink

14. CloudExplorer profile image78
    CloudExplorerposted 12 years ago

Discovery of ones talents is truly a combination of many factors in life, birth is surely one of them, but there's many more things involved, & this hub points out a few examples. read more

15. giopski profile image59
    giopskiposted 12 years ago

I believe that there are God-given talents that are inherent in each one of us.  However, in order for us to make use of them, we have to discover them.  In Church lingo, we call it discernment.  Through discernment we are able to discover, reflect and make proper use of those talents towards our goal.

16. profile image57
    protechnoposted 12 years ago

We can say everyone is born with some inherent abilities that are standard to all human beings; and we are talking in general terms here, because someone might say, "well then what about pre-matured or deformed babies or autistic children?"

What really matters is the way we are raised, the life that we live, the people we come across our lives and our experiences. Take yourself as an example. Do you think you would be the same person right now, asking this question on HUB if you were born in a Masai warrior tribe? Most probably you would have been a hunter.

This will really stretch some people's imagination, because you might ask, how could it be possible for me to be born in an African tribe? Well did someone ask you where you wanted to be born?

There are things, which are realms of unknown and talking about them is like trying to kill a Dinosaur, throwing arrows in the dark, with closed eyes and wearing a blind-fold, not even sure if you are facing East or West.

But we can talk about the exposures, which really leaves impressions and moulds a child from day one. There are too many variables involved here and too many factors. Parents are the first and most important factor, which plays a part in a person's upbringing. The parent's mental capacity then onwards decides if he is going to be put in a derelict Public School, left to be conditioned by the incompetent wardens or given a better chance at life.

I guess that's why it was said that every child is born on nature and then their parents make him whatever they end up being (except those who cannot be brain-washed and coerced at all). Now for the exceptions we can say that, it was an inherent natural born ability of a child that prohibited him/her from accepting blindly all the wrong decisions of a parent, teacher, society, culture, etc.

Take a look at large families as an example. How come two people are born in the same environment, go through the same schooling, have same parents, but end up having different outlook on life. One may end up accepting everything blindly, while the other ends up poles apart.

We can say that the nature of a person and the environment that one goes through runs parallel. We can never pin-point such things to a tea, to the exclusion of the other. They both together make up the whole.

17. RGNestle profile image79
    RGNestleposted 12 years ago

A talent is nothing without use.

Believe it or not, even a "tone deaf" person can learn to sing. To say that they have no talent for singing would have left many with the undiscovered talent for song.

A person can have a family history of mathematical skill, but may hate math because it is not pleasing to them. Does it mean that there is no mathematical talent in them? Not necessarily, just that they have decided not to pursue that particular talent.

True, some people seem to have an innate, effortless ability to do certain things, but that only means that their particular skill set or area of interest is best adapted to that particular talent.

Those same skills can be used in many other areas that a person may never have thought to use them, and maybe thought they had no talent in. (Math can be used to compute the radius of a circle, but with a little adaptation and understanding can be used to make 3D worlds in movies and video games.)

Our brains are created to use existing synapses and create new ones for each activity in which we take part. When an activity is understood and enjoyed, those synapses are created faster. When something is not understood those new synapses may take longer to be formed. But they CAN be formed.

So, no matter whether we easily get the knack of doing something or it takes a long time, a talent is something we develop from our likes and experiences.

(A special note: Often the thing that stops us from learning a new talent (such as a language or writing music) can be our own attitude. We are told over and over again that learning a new language is "hard". By preparing our minds for learning a new talent, we can make the process so much more easy. Positive re-enforcement can propel us by leaps and bounds in progressing toward the mastery of any talent. Continuing to tell yourself the process is easy and fun, we can do things which we never knew were possible.)

My best to you all, no matter what your talent!

18. xethonxq profile image67
    xethonxqposted 12 years ago

I think it's both...that we are inherently born with it and as we grow and mature we discover what "it" is. smile

19. Swetankraj profile image61
    Swetankrajposted 12 years ago

Everything is born with us and is encoded in our DNA. What we likes or dislikes everything is in our body has since born. But with great powers comes great responsibility, we need to discover them!

20. profile image58
    Ladyfaithposted 12 years ago

Some talents we are born with.No practice needed,Like singing or drawing.Other talents got added because of our faithfulness.Reference the parable of 10 talents.When we use what we have other can be added.Or when we don't it's very possible to loose it.

21. hillymillydee profile image60
    hillymillydeeposted 12 years ago

We can inherit gifts and skills if you develop it,  it will become a talent.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)