What part of the Bible is a fact?

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 205 discussions (840 posts)
  1. retellect profile image73
    retellectposted 14 years ago

Is that another argument? big_smile big_smile big_smile

I forgot to answer the whole question. It said what PART of the Bible is FACT..............well the part that is not OPINION must be be FACTUAL.

To recap, a fact can be proven, whether it is right or wrong. Example - I broke a mug this morning. It is a FACT that I broke the mug, only because I said so. Anyone could have broke the mug for all I care. neutral

1. Bovine Currency profile image61
      Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, very good smile  I was referring to the whole science vs religion mumbojumbo sort of fact, an what a scientifc fact is.  you are talking about a primary observer (you) knowing the mug was broken, and the person whom broke it was you.  But, if you told me it was broken, I wouldn't have a clue would I smile

So, the FACTS in the bible?  How would any of us know?

2. pjk_artist profile image63
    pjk_artistposted 14 years ago

Great question. I know I'm jumping into this very long thread and I didn't read it all so if somebody else has already given you this answer...I guess I'll be redundant.

Let's say something real happened to you. Something so profound and unique that you decided everyone must hear about it. So you create a story about it and the story gets written down and passed on from generation to generation for 2000 years. It gets re-translated and re-written over and over and the names eventually changed to fit better with the rest of the stories in the ancient sacred tome your story now resides in. A sacred tome which is now used to control and lead the minds and actions of the human race by those who are inclined to do so.

One day, 2000 years later, somebody asks on a computer "What part of this story is true?"  People reply but none really answer the question. Would that make you sad?

The fact is ...

Many people in the past experienced the birth of God within themselves and recorded their experiences in the form of parables.  What we have left from that today is the bible.

We can use the stories in the bible to recognize the birth of God in ourselves. You should read my Neville Goddard hubs for more details.

-Peter

3. Bovine Currency profile image61
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

What is Fact?

Read the above link.  Fact.

4. Bovine Currency profile image61
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

oh golly big_smile you can't preach to the converted!

5. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Go ahead I am all ears.  Tell me what parts are facts, which ones aren't and how you know the difference.

There are no facts that can prove anything to a skeptically closed mind.  Only something like a face to face with God can do that.

1. Cagsil profile image72
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is ridiculous. That's all I'm saying on it, for now.

1. Evolution Guy profile image59
        Evolution Guyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well you have to remember - only the truly open minded can believe something this ridiculous.

See?

Believing religionist garbage with no evidence = open minded. Simple. lol

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

She's not looking for proof, she just wants the facts.  What is wrong with you people?

6. Jerami profile image58

Regardless of the subject matter, there is no facts than can prove anything to the skepticaly closed mind. I do not find this fact hard to understand; or funny.

So you are going with the pink unicorns?

Or are you open minded enough to accept that your beliefs are funny? lol

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that I am open minded to believe that "anything" is possible. I might even be able to stretch my mind enough to believe that "all" things are possible.

Many years ago I thought that only a few things were possible. And then my  mind which was limited by it's own logic was opened. I can now see farther than I had ever thought possible.

Is that a "yes"?

7. Jerami profile image58

Is that a "yes"?

Sure, that is definately a possability

Cool - you won't be upset then?

I very seldom get upset.

8. profile image0
    Jawa Lunkposted 14 years ago

I'm glad everyone is having a good laugh.  There will come a day when the laughter ends, and the reality sets in.

1 second after you die, you are going to have an eternity to lament over your behavior and the fact that you passed up your salvation.

Laugh all you will, in the end, like it or not, every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Jesus Christ is Lord.

LOLOLOL

You are kidding right?

You have read the bible - right?

That is what they all believe. Must believe - or else.

No matter how they might speak - this is key and crucial to their beliefs system.

1. profile image0
            thetruthhurts2009posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Still waiting lol

LOL How old was Noah again? lol lol lol

1. profile image0

Ida was the missing link, right? lol

2. Cagsil profile image72

I have completely read the bible, from cover to cover 3x.

I never saw thru it, but had many questions. Then I did my own research. Learned to break thru and self-realize he doesn't exist.

Yes, the programming of religion is powerful stuff. lol

Sheeple.

Still waiting on your research. wink

What is it that you want to know?

Where did you find research that showed you people were not conscious in jebus's time?

Third time of asking. wink

Or do I need to add "In my research" to "it is said" and "I have heard" ?lol

You can find all the work and research you need on the mind and it's evolution- Dr. Julian Jaynes- The Origins of the Bi-cameral Brain.

I found this research, which explained the Evolution of our consciousness. There were many people who were conscious during Jesus' time, but most didn't have a clue.

This at a time in history, which was recorded, about Jesus' death. The events leading up to execution were directed by religious leaders. Jesus' work was 'coded', so his work would sound like religious preaching, but was based on consciousness teaching. Plus, there was a very primitive language then, not much to work with. Mostly religious material.

Research shows that the hand-writing analysis of those before Jesus, there were many people who would live normal daily lives, but be completely unconscious or aware of their own existence.

Other stuff I found, showed me how to descriptively change Jesus' original message and put it into context. This tidbit of information I am restricted to share openly, because of reasons I'm bound by, for which I am responsible for the information and can not divulge to the public.

If I could, I would, without a doubt, because I think the world needs to know.

9. Rudra profile image67
    Rudraposted 14 years ago

most holy books of all religions are just bogus.

10. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

The saddest part of this whole ordeal is that the believers continually argue their position.

The FACTS are the argument originates from centuries ago, and it has always been battled by the religious faithful on the basis that the bible is indeed fact.

However, what they do not realize or refuse to accept is that science, many years ago debunked the "god" concept, for what it is, but many don't believe.

On another hand- they also fail to realize- the argument is weak, at best- Reality says- God doesn't exist.

It is NOT for the non-believers to provide proof to the believers that God doesn't exist? This is a stupid argument and baseless.

The argument is for the Believers to PROVE he does exist.

The problem is- the believers only have ONE reference of so-called proof, which has more holes than there is in any science theory ever. And, isn't support by any secondary source. All religions are categorized together, as one source. If you as a believer can provide PROOF of his existence, then people will be open to listen.

Since you can not come up with a secondary source to support? That's your problem- everything else we know of - tells us God doesn't exist.

Your hope isn't going to make it real.

11. aguasilver profile image69
    aguasilverposted 14 years ago

There are 688 fulfilled prophesies in the bible, fulfilled meaning they came true 100%, not 99% 0r 98%, no siree, they came the full 100% right. On the Hub forums, there are always athiests and evolutionaries shouting their religious mantra "show me the scientific proof".

Well this chap Peter Stoner wrote a book called Science Speaks (Moody Press, 1963) to show that coincidence is ruled out by the science of probability.

Stoner says that by using the modern science of probability in reference to eight prophecies, "we find that the chance that any man might have lived down to the present time and fulfilled all eight prophecies is 1 in 1017."

That would be 1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000.

In order to help us comprehend this staggering probability, Stoner illustrates it by supposing that "we take 1017 silver dollars and lay them on the face of Texas. They will cover all of the state two feet deep.

Now mark one of these silver dollars and stir the whole mass thoroughly, all over the state.

Blindfold a man and tell him that he can travel as far as he wishes, but he must pick up one silver dollar and say that this is the right one.

What chance would he have of getting the right one?

Just the same chance that the prophets would have had of writing these eight prophecies and having them all come true in any one man.

Stoner considers 48 prophecies and says, "we find the chance that any one man fulfilled all 48 prophecies to be 1 in 10157, or

1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

The estimated number of electrons in the universe is around 1079.

It should be quite evident that Jesus did not fulfill the prophecies by accident."

12. Cagsil profile image72

Prophesies?

Mystics, oracles and prophets, all knowing who 'god' is?

Really, if you actually did any scientific research on the human brain, then you would know that prophesis you claim are real- were illusions.

Thank you for your time.

1. aguasilver profile image69
      aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know that's why I consider trying to deal with you people a waste of time, you are just too condescending to even bother with.

Either deliver up your 'facts' that you cannot tell 'us' about or shut up.

13. Cagsil profile image72

I believe it. From you, I can see it.

Nothing else.

You willingly deceive people, when you yourself know it's a hoax.

You can't be this stupid and not know 'religion' a hoax, unless you use it to your advantage, so you can get what you want.

I'm sorry, you're cover is now blown wide open.

You know- I knew there was something about you that I didn't get. Because, you're not like some of the others. You are more refined, almost to human perfection.

You purposely deceive people for your personal gain. You're no better than the POPE or any of the stupid bishops.

They all know it's hoax, the only reason they don't come out and say it is because of GREEDY HANDS.

And YOU are no better. It's so blantant obvious, you know it's a hoax, because you go thru so much trouble just to defend your belief.

It's pathetic. ANY normal person would have given up by now, quit the arguing and would have gone on their merry way.

But, you....YOU keep coming!

Go away deceitful fool.

14. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

13 pages no facts and blatant denial to give Anna the facts.  Nice!

1. profile image0

The Bible has 66 Books, 1,189 chapters, 31,102 verses, 773,693 words, and 3,566,480 letters. I posted several others so has Aquasilver and others, but if she really wants to know google it, search engine, bible facts dott org or pick up  The Evidence Bible.

1. profile image0

I know your gonna get irritated when I say this but...

There are discrepancies. You would have to be specific about which Bible contains these exact specifications.  The Catholic Bible has more books in it so I would deduce that it also has more chapters, verses, words and letters.

1. profile image0

If you really have problem with the bible go back to the Greek!

1. spiderpam profile image76
            spiderpamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Sandra,(hope you are well)
            Compare the Dead Sea Scrolls, and all the ancient biblical texts today's bibles not some of the newer ones because they tend to paraphrase. but the NASB, KJV, ASV, LTV, NKJV. They were taken from the original and you'd be surprised how accurate those books are compared to the originals. There are online resources and books that we can use to help us understand the original meanings of biblical text.
            Hey Truth!

1. profile image0

Yes maam, Catholics tend to use some the Gnostic “gospels”(which which largely discredited by the biblical scholars and skeptics) in order to justify they're non-biblical traditions. Don't get me started.

2. Evolution Guy profile image59

But you have already admitted you cannot read the originals and are therefore lying when you say "you would be surprised." because you have never read them - or the translations. And you are getting all your "proof" from "online resources" who are feeding you with these lines to say.

How sad. I pity you. sad

1. profile image0

Lying? Ok Mark, Because she uses online resources that translate biblical texts? When the Dead Sea Scrolls were found 95% matched the KJV bible. The other 5% were mere spelling differences that no way affected the meaning of the texts.  Those are the facts! Sorry your irrational faith in Atheism is misplaced.  lol

Nonsense. It is all but impossible to translate anything that accurately. Let alone an esoteric text like this. I have an original King +James bible and it bears little relationship to either the dead sea scrolls (what I can understand of them) or the current sheeple guide. 

And pretending to have personal knowledge is lying. She cannot make a statement such as she did because she doe not have any personal knowledge of either document. This is lying.

You are also lying in your assertion that the KIng James Sheeple Guide matches the dead sea scrolls 95% LOL Pulling BS figures out of thin air is the same as lying. wink

No one can agree what the dead sea scrolls actually say and the religionists are still fighting over what to say they say. lol

1. profile image0

You're right some schlors say 99%. lol
                    The Dead Sea Scrolls and Biblical Integrity
                    by Garry K. Brantley, M.A., M.Div.
                    Archer, Gleason, Jr. (1974), A Survey of Old Testament Introduction (Chicago, IL: Moody).

Archer, Gleason, Jr. (1980), “Modern Rationalism and the Book of Daniel,” Bibliotheca Sacra, 136:129-147, April-June.

Archer, Gleason, Jr. (1982), Encyclopedia of Bible Difficulties (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker).

Brantley, Garry K. (1994), “Biblical Miracles: Fact or Fiction?,” Reason and Revelation, 14:33-38, May.

Bruce, F.F. (1988), The Canon of Scriptures (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press).

Collins, John J. (1992a), “Daniel, Book of,” The Anchor Bible Dictionary, ed. David Noel Freedman (New York: Doubleday), 2:29-37.

Collins, John J. (1992b), “Dead Sea Scrolls,” The Anchor Bible Dictionary, ed. David Noel Freedman (New York: Doubleday), 2:85-101.

Cross, Frank Moore (1992), “The Historical Context of the Scrolls,” Understanding the Dead Sea Scrolls, ed. Hershel Shanks (New York: Random House).

Geisler, Norman and Ronald Brooks (1989), When Skeptics Ask (Wheaton, IL: Victor).

Geisler, Norman and William Nix (1986), A General Intorduction to the Bible (Chicago, IL: Moody).

Harrison, R.K. (1969), Introduction to the Old Testament (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans).

Hasel, Gerhard (1992), “New Light on the Book of Daniel from the Dead Sea Scrolls,” Archaeology and Biblical Research, 5[2]:45-53, Spring.

Josephus, “Antiquities of the Jews,” The Life and Works of Flavius Josephus, (Chicago, IL: John C. Winston; translated by William Whiston).

Major, Trevor (1993), “Dating in Archaeology: Radiocarbon and Tree-Ring Dating,” Reason and Revelation, 13:73-77, October.

Roberts, B.J. (1962), “Masora,” The Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible (Nashville, TN: Abingdon), 3:295.

Seow, C.L. (1987), A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew (Nashville, TN: Abingdon).

Shanks, Hershel (1991), “Carbon-14 Tests Substantiate Scroll Dates,” Biblical Archaeology Review, 17[6]:72, November/December.

Whitehorne, John (1992), “Antiochus,” The Anchor Bible Dictionary, ed. David Noel Freedman (New York: Doubleday), 1:269-272.

Yamauchi, Edwin (1972), The Stones and the Scriptures: An Evangelical Perspective (New York: Lippincott).

Yamauchi, Edwin (1980), “The Archaeological Background of Daniel,” Bibliotheca Sacra, 137:3-16, January-March.

2. profile image0

You know I propose.  Since it is always Mark vs. Christianity. 

Let's open up a thread between Mark vs. Spiderpam and thetruthhurts09. 

Let it be a real debate.  No one else can join the thread.  I think there would be some way to work this out with admin. 

Discussion on the exchanges made between you, SP and TTH can be addressed on separate thread so that the thread doesn't become hijacked.

Let me also be fair.  For the debate let me lay out the rules.

1. both sides must use at least two separate resources. 

1 being the Bible any version though you have to stick with that version throughout the entire debate.
                    The other must be from the opposing side. 

ie: tth and sp have an advantage using two different versions of the Bible (if they so agree to do that) and whatever opposing reference they want to.
                    Mark would obviously using a bible as his opposing source and whatever publication you feel is necessary.

2. We need a fact checker.  All the references used have to be verified through another source.  This would be separate from what you guys are doing... sorta like Jeopardy.

Now we need a fact checker that both parties can agree on.

3.  Obviously you should refrain from name calling and sarcastic outburst but that is not likely to happen so.  If in the event it happens, both parties will just have to suck it up and move on like big kids.

The topic is to debate the facts about the bible.  Not beliefs and faith.  Just the facts.  The topic must also not trudge down the path of evolution vs. creation.  I don't care about that... just the facts.

What ya'll say?  You down for the challenge?  Mark vs. Spiderpam and thetruthhurts... Bible facts vs. Bible fiction.

-edit- I almost forgot.  I will ask the questions. big_smile

2. spiderpam profile image76
                spiderpamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How did I lie? I simply stated that there are many online sources that decipher biblical text. No where did I say I can read Greek that's why I find the translations. Where did get that “degree” from anyway Dawkins U? lol

2. profile image0

Wow, that one really pissed you off... wonder why?  Truth hurt? lol

1. profile image0

Whose angry? u maybe? I won't assume to know.

1. profile image0

You should apply that to the bible too. lol

15. profile image0
    thetruthhurts2009posted 14 years ago

http://www.accordancebible.com/archive/about/articles/images/dssb.gifSorry Mark,but Dawkins would so proud! lol

LOLOLOLOLOL

Sorry your beliefs have been proven to be garbage. No really - You must be very angry.

What exactly do you hope to achieve by attacking scientific knowledge?

You think if you can find a 1% question over geological age, this will some how make your fairy tail come true? Because if it was true - I can't see why anyone would spend this much energy on it. Seems to me the only person you are trying to convince is yourself. wink

1. profile image0

LOL! Scientific knowledge? Certainly NOT from you. You have avoided any and every question discrediting your myth. What a fundamentalist. Let's try this one last time.

Scientist agree with are made of information(DNA). Where did the information come from?

What is the scientific justification to study abiogenesis in contradiction to the law of biogenesis?

What evidence justifies the evolution proposal that life spontaneously arose from non-living material in spite of the calculations showing that such occurrence is astronomically improbable.

Why have new body plans not developed since the Cambrian explosion?

Take your time “scientist” wink

You know, this entire argument is B.S.

You know why? Because, it doesn't matter.

It no longer matters, HOW life came to be on Earth? This question need never be answered. How is irrelevant! It only supports the mystical inclinations for religion.

It is only supported from one position and can not be proved at this point in time. The support for it stems from the 'bible', which was man-made. DUH!

Since, mankind DOES NOT know how mankind came to be?

Then, what in the world would make you believe that the bible, which is man-made, is actually true?

I mean, come on people- USE the BRAIN in your HEAD!

1. profile image0

What an elegant cop-out lol My brain tells me Design requires a Designer!

There is not a specific design for life? How dense could you possibly be?

2. profile image0

Please stop hijacking the thread.  The op asks what parts of the bible are facts and how do you know?

16. Jerami profile image58

We argue that in knowledge, is found freedom of thought and yet We define knowledge with how many other people that our thinking is in alignment with. Seems as though the more educated you  become, the more dependant your thinking becomes to what other (more intelligent) people tell you to think. 
      I am starting to believe, that everyone is in bondage to analytical systems.
       different people looking at the same facts using diffrent analytical systems firmly establish opposing truths.

17. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

I understand where alot of the reasoning for Atheists and their dislike of religion and faith comes from, often times stemming from what is seen as a failure of God, and faith in their own lives, the real question I have is what would posses a believer to spend day after day online fighting, battling, and arguing against a scientific theory. What exactly is it that you hate about science and evolution, has it somehow failed you or made your life cheap and demeaning? Where does this intense hatred come from?

I could understand if you were evangelizing or trying to save the souls of the Atheists you debate, but I struggle to see the love contained inside the barbs, insults, condemnation, and general attitude of superiority. What are you really trying to accomplish. If God and his word is beyond contestation, then what's all the arguing for? I am starting to feel that all this back and forth has nothing to do with God or in spreading his word but in proving yourself to be right and win an argument, a worldly, petty argument that does little to glorify God or those who follow him.

Actually - my personal distaste for religion and lack of belief stems from these people. Not some "failure of god or faith," which Is rather condescending on your part actually Scott and the first time I have seen you make an assumption of that type, but speaks to the ingrained nature of your beliefs.

The simple fact is, without the shackles of blind belief, the Christian religion makes very little sense. And quite honestly - these people are merely spouting the hatred their book tells them to.

My issue with religion starts with the book. If you read it and understand it - it is the biggest load of hypocritical, self serving, bigoted war mongering I have had the displeasure to read.

Only if you turn it inwards instead of outwards does it begin to make any sense.

But I encourage the religionists because - as I keep saying - these are public forums for all to read - and they are doing themselves no favors. Sadly the personal nature of their negative energy is draining to say the least. Especially the really nasty ones. You can feel the bad vibes through the screen with some of them.

1. profile image0

AWWWWW! Look at Dawkins Jr. lol

1. profile image0
          Scott.Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

AWWWW...look I give you the opportunity to answer a question about your own thoughts feelings, and motivations, and you reply with a joke, a name, and a smiley face. So much for helping people to understand where you're coming from, and so understand what your trying to say, but I guess when your purpose is stirring up strife and anger then your reply was perfect, bravo...thanks for making my point for me.

2. profile image0
        Scott.Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I said alot, not all, or each and every one, but I should rephrase that to maybe say many, or several, or even to say many Atheists I personally know. I do not ever ask where your Motivations are Mark as you have expressed them before and I have talked to you on it. Maybe I should instead say many Atheists formally believers, as I know there are many Atheists who have never believed in God, and come to their conclusions in other ways. However it was an example to illustrate that there are underlying reasons for everyone involved, and I would like to hear some of the believers explain where this drive to debunk evolution comes from, and how they perceive it as threatening and insulting. I apologize if you felt I was including you in my example,perhaps I should have been more clear, as I was not, but the correction has been stated. Thanks for pointing it out.

Oh no - no offense taken, but I feel the need to re-iterate that atheism is a lack of belief in a deity. Now - the religionists have sought to change this to a belief, and I personally have chosen to state it as an absolute because it drives these people crazy. Look at them - calling for proof, accusing me of having "faith" as though that was a bad thing.

And they do not see the irony. I simply do not believe their god exists. And nothing in their behavior or demeanor or day to day actions is going any way to persuading me other wise. I am a little confused as to why they try and as I keep telling them - seem to me the ones they are trying to convince are themselves. But the massive contradiction in trying to believe the literal creation story in the face of overwhelming evidence is coming out in strange ways. Spend your energy attacking the unbelievers instead of looking inside.

I do not quite understand their attack on evolution although I am happy to play it out.

The simple fact is that is like saying, "Well, if there are no unicorns, that proves there are goblins."

Having said that - as far as I am concerned - evolution proves a number of things:

There could not have been a developmental destination or a guiding hand.

Therefore the christian god does not exist. Therefore these people are wrong. Sadly the distraction is just another one provided by the powers that be to keep our eyes off the real issues.

1. profile image0

Where has it ever been observed life coming from non-life?
            The minimal gene-set concept scientist have not been able to reduce the cell to zero in fact that can only go to 397. For evolution to be true must start from 0, it's impossible! It's called origins. Sorry mark you're wrong, again.

18. Cagsil profile image72

Saying that "LIFE" is intelligent design or the work of one entity is stupidily stupid. lol

It's like say, "What's the meaning of mankind?"

The answer is to never need be answered, because there IS NOT a collective meaning for mankind.

DUH!

We all have individual minds, consciousness, consciences and subconsciousnesses and free will of thought.

There is NO collective meaning for mankind.

You create your own future. It's not pre-planned or pre-written.

It's ridiculous to think that one entity has the power to control every thought, of every human being in the world, and/or plan out their entire life, before it's been lived.

You're really, really reaching if you think so. I mean it.

Keep it real!

1. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

But, what is reality, really? lol

The only thing we know- everything we know. Reality is all knowable. Reality consists of all things that are real and in existence, and all knowledge we have is included.

That's what reality really means.

1. profile image0

Really, Really? lol

Yeah, that means the "BIBLE" is known to be false. Just because it deals in the mystical, which has been deemed not real.

1. profile image0

It IS a real book. big_smile

Made by man?

How can man make such a book, if they themselves don't know themselves?

Are only specific people allowed? No!

It's a guise, to control others.

1. profile image0

I never said it was a book I follow, I merely stated that it is a real book, therefore, that is a factual aspect of said book. big_smile

Yes, in fact- the book does exist. And, again, man created it.

I will give you that much. But, what's in it, is the problem.

It's based on mystical insight? Which isn't verifible. Only one source for it, can not be backed up by anything else.

That means, it's baseless and not of facts. Yes, the book itself, does exist, but that doesn't mean it's contents are factual.

2. profile image0

"known to be false" man you are obtuse.

You know, that's what's wrong with you people. You pick out little things, and point to them to distract people from the overall context of a sentence.

You ripping out what I said is ignorant, because you take not all of the sentence in context.

DUH!

Why or How "known to be false" is BECAUSE it deals in the mystical.

What part did you forget to use?

See, you take a piece, but it's out of context and you manipulate it to your own advantage.

Not too bright!

"Just because it deals in the mystical, which has been deemed not real."

Who deemed it not real?

Mankind as a collective, through what we know.

DUH! I thought you use your brain?

19. profile image0

I feel in my own study of things that there are many factual components of the Bible, such as place, and city names, the names, and reigns of kings, and other empires and kingdoms. We know from comparing archeological evidence and dating techniques to written records that some events happened as described, and we can also use this information to establish common time lines and dates. We know that descriptions of the Roman invasion are for the most part accurate as are the exile to Babylon/Persia. Without the science or archeology to confirm and provide the data in which to compare to other civilizations records though then we would be left with little that we knew to be fact and a whole lot of conjecture and argument, just like now. The Jews, the original writers and the first collectors of what would become scripture after their return from exile have on several occasions affirmed that the further back you go in the OT the harder it is to know what is fact, and what is not. Exodus is in FACT the oldest manuscript in the Jewish bible when compared with writing styles, language usage, and alphabet.

20. profile image0

Here's another fact. Hebrew, and Greek translate into English poorly. For example look at the Greek words for love, all represented by one word in English, thus leaving the reader to interpret the meaning them self. Look at the Hebrew meaning of the description of the morning star in Isiah, that ended up  becoming the Latin word Lucifer= Light bringer, and argument and questions ensued for centuries. Moving on. Unless we as an audience can travel back in time to hear Jesus speak, or Moses, or Abraham, we have only another choice, learn to read ancient Hebrew, and Greek, or even Aramaic. Beyond mastering these ancient languages which would further necessitate finding original documents in these languages, most everything we know about the intent and meaning of scripture is merely interpretations and matters of perspective. The book is called living because it easily means so much to so many different people. As men move forward in time the meanings and intents of the words change to meet this movement. Meaning literally what you pull from the Bible is directly related to the Attitude you have going into it. To deny this is simply to lie to oneself. If you go into this book looking for a reason to justify your hate and discrimination , you WILL find it, on the opposite if you seek love and compassion you will likewise find it. For example many people use Leviticus to justify their dislike of homosexuality, completely ignoring the other things the law prohibits in this book, like eating shellfish, wearing blended clothing among just a few. There are limitless ways that this one book can speak for or against any belief or view, you need only participate in the forums to see this fact proven.

21. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Come on, Cags. The curtains about to go up......

22. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Heh. Sorting the literal facts from the fables in an anthology of various literary genres that's around 1400 pages long is not something that can be easily answered in a post. Studies of literary analysis, history, and archaeology can confirm that the Bible contains some facts- or that to interpret a Biblical passage as literal fact would entirely miss the point.

"various literary genres" is one of the things which convinced me that the bible we have is factual and real.

When over 60 authors, who did not know of each others existence in the main, wrote at different periods of time, lived in different countries then make prophesies that are factually able to be confirmed as accurately fulfilled, which are later collated into one consistent book, and which 33% of the world use as a guide and morality resource on a daily basis.

When I realise that, I see that a divine hand is at play and whatever the vociferous minority wish to attempt to make 'real' - the truth is that the majority of mankind disagree with the atheists premise and reject their rationalist thinking.

2. profile image0

A Hub perhaps?

23. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Oh boy.

24. aguasilver profile image69

Please keep to the subject and stop hijacking the forum.

1. Anna Erwin profile image61
      Anna Erwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh you killed it a long time ago. Your religion has taught you well. big_smile

1. tantrum profile image61
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol
        You should know ! It's your thread !

25. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

The resurrection of Jesus Christ is fact.

26. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Well, it's evident there is one, millions of them, it's a fact. The Bible is a fact. It can be very valuable too for researching ones family tree. Facts

27. Jerami profile image58

Concerning the New testament, I think that all of it was truthfully recorded in the original letters. I also believe that as is true when a large group of men gather together to make decisions THERE IS NEGATIVE forces at work. The inclusion or exclusion of certain letters was strategically orchestrated.
        I would imagine that a bit of word manipulation was present when the cannon was assembled.
        We should also remember that Satan was always present.
        And that the council of Nicea was assembled by the Roman Empire with the Emperor as the ultimate authority of this New religion.
        Over all; the vast majority of the bible is TRUE
        Just enough interpretation was inserted to influence further interpretation.
        It is interpretation of prophesy that has caused all of the confusion since the beginning.

28. diamondtip profile image61
    diamondtipposted 14 years ago

Contrary to popular belief, the Bible is not a product of, nor does it glorify, the civilization of the West. Almost the entire Bible was written in Oriental countries. The men who wrote it down were all Orientals. One thousand years before Buddha, Moses, a man of God who lived in the Middle East, was inspired by God to write the first book of the Bible, called Genesis. From this beginning, the Bible follows one harmonious theme right through to its final book of Revelation. The last book was written about six hundred years after Buddha. Did you know that the Bible is made up of sixty-six different books? Yes, the Bible is a library in itself! Over a period of 1,600 years, from Moses’ time on, some thirty-five different men shared in writing the completely harmonious record of the Bible. They testify that their writings were inspired by a Power far higher than mortal man. The Christian apostle Paul wrote: “All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness.” (2 Timothy 3:16) And the apostle Peter explained: “No prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation. For prophecy was at no time brought by man’s will, but men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit.”—2 Peter 1:20, 21; 2 Samuel 23:2; Luke 1:70.

1. matt6v33 profile image60
      matt6v33posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing, some great points/facts...

2. aguasilver profile image69

Amen, at last a sensible comment, don't expect the atheist rabble to answer you, except maybe with a few scornful lines and a row of cheap smiley faces... they normally stay well clear of anybody who actually knows their stuff.

29. matt6v33 profile image60
    matt6v33posted 14 years ago

Hello All!  I'm the new kid on the block. Wanted to Thank Everyone here, for all of your "Food For Thoughts" regarding this question. u all have given me a new idea, to write about. thank you all, very much.. great feedback from u guys! much appreicated...

30. topgunjager profile image60
    topgunjagerposted 14 years ago

it is written shamelessly by men=)

31. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

The most and biggest part of the bible I believe true is that it attempts to govern by creating a one conscience belief.

The hardest thing that I have a problem with is that when I
      "pick one" particular aspect of scripture to believe is to remember that even this truth that I want to accept has diffrent levels of truth that I am unaware of.

2. Cagsil profile image72

Hey Marine,

Kind of like I was saying- "Religion is a business, based on a code of ethics, bound to a higher power or cause".

Nothing else sums it up any better.

32. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

There are a lot of words big_smile

Agreed, there are a lot of words in the bible. big_smile

33. pylos26 profile image70
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

That it contains primarily fraud, lies and impositions.

why?   by reading it.

34. Anamika S profile image68
    Anamika Sposted 14 years ago

I don't care what is fact or what is fiction. But the Bible surely has laid the rules on how we should lead life.

And, you can't do that yourself?

Why not?

2. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So I guess you follow this?

Whoever denies “that Jesus is the Christ” is a liar and an anti-Christ. 1 John 2:22

Christians are “of God;” everyone else is wicked. 1 John 5:19

The non-Christian is “a deceiver and an anti-Christ” 2 John 1:7

Anyone who doesn’t share Paul’s beliefs has “an evil heart.” Hebrews 3:12

False Jews are members of “the synagogue of Satan.” Revelations 2:9, 3:9

Nasty lying little god! smile

35. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Here are some of those "life rules"
    The first rule is to be an isolationist and a zealot! lol

Don’t associate with non-Christians.  Don’t receive them into your house or even exchange greeting with them.  2 John 1:10

Shun those who disagree with your religious views.  Romans 16:17

Paul, knowing that their faith would crumble if subjected to free and critical inquiry, tells his followers to avoid philosophy. Colossians 2:8

Narrow minded little god!

36. topgunjager profile image60
    topgunjagerposted 14 years ago

Here's a fact, Jesus finally showed himself to end all this religious nonsense and for all of you to see the truth=)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAXaRcO2 … re=related

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And this truth will set you free! A must see!!

37. davecunning profile image60
    davecunningposted 14 years ago

There's plenty of historical accuaracies and verifications.  Mention of historical figures like Caesar, Pontius Pilate, and of course, Jesus, are legit and can be found in any high school Social Studies textbook.  So are the locations of biblical events--most bibles include a map in the back, but you could look them up in any atlas you wanted.  Many people believe that Noah's Ark is resting on Mt Ararat in modern day Turkey, and there's some interesting pictures out there.  Interestingly, the Turkish government will not allow any scientific investigation of the area.  There's plenty more; here's a few links to some pages that could take you deeper: 

http://www.christiananswers.net/archaeology/
    http://www.creatingfutures.net/archaelogical.html
    http://www.carm.org/christianity/bible/ … dor-people
    http://www.facingthechallenge.org/outside.php

I'd be happy to provide more, if you wanted.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

Thanks for the laugh.

What is wrong with believing by faith exactly?

Noahs Ark? lol

Many people? lol

The Turkish government won't allow scientific investigation? lol

Deary me. Thank you for reminding us all why Christianity is to be avoided. I can give you some actual facts if you would like......

Funny, all those links appear to be non functioning, maybe they were put their by a liar hoping to prove his point with a cheap laugh... well you got the cheap laugh, so I guess your content.

Cheap laughs are just that, sensible debate takes a mite more than posting a line of funny faces.

Yes Daddy. wink

2. profile image0

Thank you sir.

38. MikeNV profile image69
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Here is a little experiment I would like for you to try.

Close your eyes.

Now look around.

See any facts?

What is a fact if not based on a belief?

And, where are you heading with that question?

I reckon he was suggesting that some things are not based upon hard evidence you can touch feel and dissect, and that ruling those events out of ones life is a narrow bigoted attitude for a super intelligent being to take.

But I could be wrong...

39. lionswhelp profile image66
    lionswhelpposted 14 years ago

All of it is fact! You were made in God's image and you look like one of them, Genesis 1:26-27. You are an air breather and you will die,Genesis 2:16-17; Genesis 3:1-5,19, 22-24, as all humans are only worthy of death for all have sinned, John 1:6-10. Read 2 Timothy 3:16-17. Jesus Christ fulfilled Genesis 3:15, 1 Corinthians 15:45-51. This a fact because Hebrews 11 shows you al these people who died in faith and are now waiting in their graves for Jesus Christ's second coming.

If you are one of those scoffers then you need to get a new life, 2 Peter 3:2-11,12-15. Try the Spirit of Life, Romans 8:1-5,13-14,15-16.

Jesus Christ is coming soon, Revelation 22:12-13,14-16.

Where will you be then? Get a new life, Acts 2:38-39.

On what planet is the bible all fact? Not on earth.

It's never proved factual in any manner. There is science and history which dates some of the events stated, but from a societial side.

The bible and it's scriptures are written by man and open to interpretation. Besides, anything other than the original apostles, Jesus direct followers, those of the last supper, are the only ones who KNEW Jesus to begin with. Most of their work, was done 30-40+ years later. Not even all of Jesus' work is in the bible. Wonder why that is? What's the church got to hide?

When you look at history, mankind's evolution over time, and you put ancient writings into proper notation, as it should be, then you learn that you are the ONLY god of your life.

Religion is a business, specifically based on a code of ethics, bound to a higher cause.

"Most of their work, was done 30-40+ years later."

That's a good time to write about events, right now the true accounts of 'Nam are surfacing, written by people who were 'on site' at the time, and with the benefit of being written in the cold light of day, rather than the heat of the moment.

History is always best served cold.

Likewise there are now plenty of Beatles accounts and Sixtie's history about, you would have missed first hand experience of these things, you were simply too young to know or take in what was happening, so to try and pour scorn on biblical matters because they were written 30-40 years later is ridiculous.

The time lag ensures greater accuracy in the accounts, and please remember ALL bar one of the disciples were killed in horrific fashion and NONE recanted their beliefs.

One or two men may be able to form a tight conspiracy, more than two and it becomes proportionately more difficult to maintain secrecy, especially when you are being hung upside down on a cross and having 6" nails hammered into your feet and wrists.

Only the other night I as watching a programme about Fleetwood Mac, who I had been informed were witches, but seeing them give witness 40 years later dismissed that concept for me, they had no sign of witchcraft on them and it was good to hear the full story over their time in the rock era's.

Sorry Cags, that does not wash, the scriptures may have been written by man, but they were written by over 60 men during a 2000 year period and had prophesy written thoughout, nearly 700 specific propheises ALL of which have been fulfilled excepting the 30-40 still to be fulfilled because they refer to the future still. The mathematical probablity of that occuring by chance is alone sufficient to establish that the bible had ONE author, it may have had many writers, but ONE HAND is seen throughout it's content.

Satan has been trying to achieve two things since time began for humanity:

1. To get men to believe he does not exist.
        2. To get men to try and discredit the Holy Bible.

That you choose to believe the first and do his works in the second is your decision, that I choose to refute you, and those who follow you, is my decision.

For as long as you choose to try and discredit the bible, we are locked into this discussion.

@aguasilver

You know, you keep coming at me, but don't like it when I respond and you chose to actively bait me. If you don't like what I have to say, then DO as you're pathetic god says to do.

Shut up and mind your own business. The fact: you stepped into a conversation I chose to have with someone else, that isn't you, doesn't give you the right to interrupt my conversation, with your pathetic long post. Which really didn't say anything.

Again, like I said- I KNOW 'what' you 'are' and if I need to, I will show all the people of the forum, exactly what that is.

Now- again, I have no religion or religious belief. So, I answer to myself for my action- YOU DO NOT! You answer to a higher authority, for which, tells you to cause NO harm to your fellow human beings.

Yet, you are out here, supposedly claiming to understand your religion, so much so, that you think you can defend your position. And, do it well. How ever, what you fail to realize is that it is showing your character as a person and that character is now in question, because, you can't even follow your own god's will and remain quiet and submissive.

So, you can take your pathetic view and go home.

When you stop trying to detract from the bible accounts accuracy with false statements, I'll stay silent on you.

You are also exposing who you really are, I am content to do as I choose.

This free will stuff goes both ways you see, and I choose to use my free will to show the world what Gods word states about matters that you and you kind like to try to decry.

So you get off attacking the bible and I will ignore you for ever, with great pleasure.

The only thing I'm showing to the people is the truth about the piece of garbage you call a bible.

Attacking the bible? I'm not attacking the bible.

I am ATTACKING ALL RELIGION that deals in the mystical worship of a non-existent entity, who YOU know isn't real.

The fact- that you don't follow your own God's will is living PROOF you are a 'false' worshipper and/or a liar.

How I am showing myself? I'm speaking the truth and putting people on the right path. A World without GOD. Why? Because the myth is NO LONGER required.

2. profile image0
            Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Above you told one person this is a debate then you just told this man to take his views and go home.
            What's wrong? A debate is about disagreeing..I guess just not with you. Should  we kiss your ring before we type.?

40. C. M. Hoisington profile image67
    C. M. Hoisingtonposted 14 years ago

It doesn't matter whether its fact or not.  No history of any kind is ever fact.  Fact can only happen when it happens, beyond that it becomes memory and imagination. 

What's important about the Bible is what it says to us personally.  There is no debate on it's importance in our World.  There is a reason for that and it has nothing to do with whether its factual or not.

Yes, there is a debate. Why do you think you are here talking about it? WOW! Open your eyes.

1. C. M. Hoisington profile image67
        C. M. Hoisingtonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is no debate about the importance in our world.  You can debate whether its true or not, but not whether its influenced the world.  Argumentantive ignorance that has no cognitive ability is useless.

41. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Cagsil -

I think you underestimate the value of people like aquasilver to push people way from religion.

Admittedly - the negative energy is palpable and difficult to deal with, but is worth the effort, I think.

If you feel yourself being dragged down by his negative energy and passive/aggressive attacks - it is better to spend a day or two away from the discussion and come back refreshed. I had a great mountain bike ride this afternoon and feel much better.

Sadly - no matter how many times I tell these people they are doing the work of their satan by their standards - it does not matter. They are driven by a need to not look inside and will continue to create conflict and hatred while claiming to be loving.

It will take generations to eradicate this approach to spreading their religion.

42. Cagsil profile image72

Mark Knowles-

I get it. I really do. I understand where someone comes, when they speak of faith in God. I know, I was or use to be in that position, until I had my eyes truly opened, by work/study/reseach of my own, through honest conscious thought and tough action.

It was a harsh reality to realize that God didn't really exist and I know how deflating it can be. Unfortunately, the blindful ignorance of some people who open attack isn't because they understand their own beliefs, but more along the effects that they know that God doesn't really exist, but perpetuate the hoax of religion for their own usurp of power and to take advantage of those who don't know any better.

It is this pathetic crowd I attack, because they are no better than the religious leaders who support religion. They themselves are cheaters of mankind, improperly living off other people's fear or lack of knowledge.

This USURP of power is pathetic and must be beaten down, in order for society to evolve to the next level.

Oh Boy are you guys on some major ego trip....

What valiant warriors for truth you imagine yourself to be, and sooooo verrry superior to we mere mortals who have nothing but the Word of God to stand upon.

I have NEVER made any living or cash from my beliefs, indeed holding belief in Christ and obeying His commands has stopped me making money in the 'world' and cost me in how I have reacted to His commandments.

Anybody who is in religion for profit is fooling themselves, sure you can open a megachurch for the gullible and make a fortune selling prosperity messages...and I would be right behind anyone exposing that form of false religion.

Such men /and women) have their reward here and get nothing from God in eternity.

OK, you guys have decided that religion is the whole problem, well that's fine and dandy for you and your small cabal of followers... I think you have about 6 million believers in nothing but themselves in the world.

If religion is nothing - why must you continually attack it, if God is real, you will fail anyway, and if God is false, then you will win eventually as people 'come aware' of the fact that they should be worshipping you two and your intellects, not one (false) God.

I suggest you get on with your super charged lives and stop trying to disprove something that you cannot do.

Herr Goebbbels taught you well, keep repeating a lie and soon enough people will lose the ability to recognise the truth.

That's why I will continue (when it suits me) to monitor your posts and refute your nonsense and false claims.

Like it or not.

Who mentioned money? wink

Religion is a powerful fear based tool and needs to be combated.

Thanks for reminding us of that.

Oh well , that's OK because I do not use fear either, God did not give us a spirit of fear, fear comes from Satan.

God brings conviction, via His Holy Spirit, now I have seen that bring hard men to their knees, bring liars to redemption and bring fools into wisdom.

Of course some people are just too 'conscience seared' to be reached or convicted of their sin... I guess you guys never sin huh?

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/25714

LOLOLOLOLOLO

No - I am sin free. Thank you for asking, Daddy.

lol lol lol

43. profile image0

the pages or paper are thin lol

44. profile image0

someone said money lol

Mark Knowles:

"It is this pathetic crowd I attack, because they are no better than the religious leaders who support religion. They themselves are cheaters of mankind, improperly living off  other people's fear or lack of knowledge."

45. aguasilver profile image69

Though you guys may be interested in what Herr Goebbles had to say on what you are perfecting:

GOEBBELS' PRINCIPLES OF PROPAGANDA

1. Propagandist must have access to intelligence concerning events and public opinion.

2. Propaganda must be planned and executed by only one authority.
    a. It must issue all the propaganda directives.

b. It must explain propaganda directives to important officials and maintain their morale.

c. It must oversee other agencies' activities which have propaganda consequences

3. The propaganda consequences of an action must be considered in planning that action.

4. Propaganda must affect the enemy's policy and action.
    a. By suppressing propagandistically desirable material which can provide the enemy with useful intelligence

b. By openly disseminating propaganda whose content or tone causes the enemy to draw the desired conclusions

c. By goading the enemy into revealing vital information about himself

d. By making no reference to a desired enemy activity when any reference would discredit that activity

5. Declassified, operational information must be available to implement a propaganda campaign

6. To be perceived, propaganda must evoke the interest of an audience and must be transmitted through an attention-getting communications medium.

7. Credibility alone must determine whether propaganda output should be true or false.

8. The purpose, content and effectiveness of enemy propaganda; the strength and effects of an expose; and the nature of current propaganda campaigns determine whether enemy propaganda should be ignored or refuted.

9. Credibility, intelligence, and the possible effects of communicating determine whether propaganda materials should be censored.

10. Material from enemy propaganda may be utilized in operations when it helps diminish that enemy's prestige or lends support to the propagandist's own objective.

11. Black rather than white propaganda may be employed when the latter is less credible or produces undesirable effects.

12. Propaganda may be facilitated by leaders with prestige.

13. Propaganda must be carefully timed.
    a. The communication must reach the audience ahead of competing propaganda.

b. A propaganda campaign must begin at the optimum moment

c. A propaganda theme must be repeated, but not beyond some point of diminishing effectiveness

14. Propaganda must label events and people with distinctive phrases or slogans.
    a. They must evoke desired responses which the audience previously possesses

b. They must be capable of being easily learned

c. [color=#ff0000]They must be utilized again and again, but only in appropriate situations

d. They must be boomerang-proof

15. Propaganda to the home front must prevent the raising of false hopes which can be blasted by future events.

16. Propaganda to the home front must create an optimum anxiety level.
    a. Propaganda must reinforce anxiety concerning the consequences of defeat

b. Propaganda must diminish anxiety (other than concerning the consequences of defeat) which is too high and which cannot be reduced by people themselves

17. Propaganda to the home front must diminish the impact of frustration.
    a. Inevitable frustrations must be anticipated

b. Inevitable frustrations must be placed in perspective

18. Propaganda must facilitate the displacement of aggression by specifying the targets for hatred.

19. Propaganda cannot immediately affect strong counter-tendencies; instead it must offer some form of action or diversion, or both.

I think you will find that your atheist cabal operates very well within the proscribed form listed above.

46. profile image0

OK here is what we know is fact about the bible;

It is the largest selling book in the world selling 300,000,000 copies annually.

It was first printed in 1528

It has been translated into 1100 languages

It carries 1189 chapters over a 1500 year span-old having 929 chapters and new with 260

It has 773,692 words

It has 3,566,480 letters

It's longest chapter is Psalms 119 and shortest Psalms 117

It was written by some 50 men ranging 40 generations, of whom one was a gentile

most importantly,

It is a book.

Excellent, as you started the post, it is suitable that you should answer it in a manner that you approve.

I only add one thing, the bible is truth not because it is the word of God, but because God spoken it, so it's bit more than just 'a book' - it's a book that 2.5 billion people base their lives upon to one degree of another.

Is the subject now closed?

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ouch, don't jump down my neck, subject is now open.  Wjo shit in your cereal this morning and what have I done to you?  You don't know what I believe or don't but by you making assumptions makes me wonder if you know what you believe so back off cowboy

I'm not making assumptions, I've read your stuff, I like your hubs and appreciate you have had a varied life, you know what your about, and no offence was meant, so apologies if I caused you any, unfortunately dealing with the abuse from MK and Cags makes one suspicious of all others, unless their intentions and belief is clear.

Stay Blessed and cool!

2. profile image0
          lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

are you being kind to back off - there's no war here

Have you seen the'intelligent' replies Cags and MK make?

Hardly peaceable, they just don't like getting hit as hard as they try to hit others.

There's a war going on al right, but my bible tells me resist the devil and he will flee, and that's a fact from the bible and experience, and you know that to be true, however you view your higher power.

2. jobister profile image60
        jobisterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can 2.5 billion people be wrong?

Gets worse, because in total about 55% of the world hold the bible to be the word of God, they may not like each other, but they agree about that fact!

So if 55% of the world are wrong.... what hope do the rest have!

3. aguasilver profile image69

Oh one other fact, the exact middle of the book is Psalm 118:14

The LORD is my strength and song, and is become my salvation.

Rather apt considering...

The shortest chapter is Psalm 117:

Psalm 117 1:2

O praise the LORD, all ye nations: praise him, all ye people.

For his merciful kindness is great toward us: and the truth of the LORD endureth for ever. Praise ye the LORD.

And as you said, Psalm 119 is the longest...

Curious how they just happened to be in that order!

47. pay2cEM profile image81
    pay2cEMposted 14 years ago

I think a better question addresses the degrees of certainty of finding fact in the bible:

100% Certainty: ie Galilee is a REAL city bordering on a sea; Caesar Augustus was a REAL Roman emperor governing at the time of the events of the Gospels; a soft answer deflects anger better than a harsh one. If it is verified by external (non-biblical) documented sources, modern archaeology, or is a statement of advice consistent with what we experience today, it's safe to assume it's correct.

Probably or likely: Claim that people living on the Sea of Galilee tended to go into fishing as a livelihood at the time.  Why not?  What else are they gonna do? 

Unverifiable: The walls of the (factual) city of Jericho actually collapsed from the affects of a trumped-wielding parade.

Unlikely: Claim that the Jewish Sanhedrin would quickly assemble for a midnight gathering on the most holiest of Holy Sabbaths in the year - breaking their Law - to hold a spontaneous trial for Jesus, who was accused of violating their Law.  (this is probably why John contradicts the other Gospel writers on which day of the week the Last Supper was held.) Or that the Roman Empire - which has no records of the alleged census Issue by Caesar in the Nativity story - would require all its citizens to switch towns in order to be counted.  This was never done for any of the other censuses that ARE on record, and is pointless besides. (this likely fabrication was a plot device of the ever-inventive Matthew to get Mary and Joseph from Nazareth to Bethlehem for the birth of Christ.  Luke just avoids the mess and simply starts them out in Bethlehem to begin, and not moving to Nazareth until several years later.)   

Patently false: there are several categories into which these might fall...

Historically inaccurate: Combined, Matthew and Luke tell us that Jesus was born during the reign of King Herod, while Quirineus was governor of Syria. But all the external historical records we have of that time tell us that Herod died in 4 BC, while Quirineus didn't become governor until 6 AD.

Scientifically inaccurate: the mammalian bat is a bird, insects are 4-legged creatures, rabbits are cud-chewing animals, the sun rises and sets and is capable of standing still, every city on earth can be viewed from the top of a mountain in Israel, etc.

Prophetically inaccurate: That Damascus would cease to be inhabited (it is very much inhabited to this day), that Tyre would be destroyed and never rebuilt (it's doing fine now), That Egypt would by destroyed by the Assyrians and uninhabited for 40 years (never happened), that 5 cities in Egypt would one day speak the Canaanite language (nope), etc.

Sequentially inaccurate: After Jesus' baptism, one Gospel tells us that he is immediately driven into the wilderness for 40 days, and upon return, begins selecting his first disciples; another account of the baptism tells us that 3 days later he's at a wedding with all his disciples, turning water into wine.  Of the 2 stories of Creation, in the first, God makes plants, then animals, then man and woman at the same time.  In the second version, he makes plants, then MAN - alone - THEN all the animals, and then finally woman.

Arithmetically inaccurate: God predicts that the Israelites would be in Egypt 400 years, then were are told they were there 430 years, then we add up the ages of the generations we know were there we find the maximum time it could have been is 350 years, and THEN we get to the NT where it's suggested they were only there 215 years.

I agree with ernest, good post, I'll check it out and get back to you.... want to id yourself really, because you just joined, have no hubs and are obviously a plant under an assumed name... it's just nicer to know who ones talking to!

Anyhow, off to bed now, but I look forward to researching your post over the next few days, you made a lot of points, so it will tale some time to answer.

1. pay2cEM profile image81
        pay2cEMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the advice.  I got a picture up, now just have to start some hubs.

Also, I just edited my post slightly after realizing I had accidentally spliced the ending of one paragraph onto the wrong beggining of another.

2. aguasilver profile image69

OK heres a start of replying to your queries...

I'm afraid there is a lot more than the one liner you used to start the query with, but when Gods word is challenged you can expect to do a bit of reading when you receive correction.

I would hate for you or any of our resident atheists to use this chestnut again, having been corrected on it, that would be lying, and all liars.... (we all know what happens to all liars!)

"rabbits are cud-chewing animals,"

http://www.comereason.org/bibl_cntr/con055.asp
      Does the hare really chew cud?

To your question. Deuteronomy 14, verses 6 and 7 read as follows, "You may eat any animal that has a split hoof divided in two and that chews the cud. However, of those that chew the cud or that have a split hoof completely divided you may not eat the camel, the rabbit or the coney. Although they chew the cud, they do not have a split hoof; they are ceremonially unclean for you " This seems pretty straightforward on the face of it. I'm going to make the assumption that you are questioning the idea that a hare chews cud at all. Let's examine the question rationally.

Some background information:

Cud chewers are generally classified as belonging to the order of ruminants- (a sub order of artiodactyls) - and are defined as an "even-toed animal that regurgitates and masticates its food after swallowing. " This means that a cow, for example, will eat vegetation and swallow it. The cow's stomach is divided into four chambers where some of more easily digestible nutrients are absorbed by the body while other more fibrous material is stored in the stomach and then regurgitated. The cow will re-chew this material and re-swallow it so that it can digest it as well.

Rabbits and hares, however, do not have a chambered stomach such as the cow. They also do not regurgitate their food. What they do perform is a function named cecotropy. I will quote the process as cited at http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/genbio/rjbio … ELO45.html

SYMBIOSIS WITHIN THE VERTEBRATE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM

Bacterial Digestion of Cellulose Within Animals - Vertebrates lack enzymes to digest plant material. Some bacteria can do so and are harbored by animals... Rats and rabbits redigest cellulose another way. [They] eat feces and literally redigest them a second time. Efficiency approaches that of ruminants.

In a more detailed version, Margert "Casey" Kilcullen-Steiner, (M.S., L.A.Tg) writes:
      http://microvet.arizona.edu/Courses/MIC … abbits.htm

Rabbits are sometimes called "pseudo-ruminants"... The rhythmic cycle of coprophagy of pure cecal contents practiced by all rabbits allows utilization of microbial protein and fermentation products, as well as recycling of certain minerals. Whereas the feces commonly seen excreted by rabbits are fairly large, dry and ovoid, excreted singly, and consist of fibrous plant material, cecotrophs are about half that size, occur in moist bundles stuck together with mucus, and are very fine textured and odiferous. They are seldom seen, as the rabbit plucks them directly from the anus as they are passed and swallows them whole. Normal rabbits do not allow cecotrophs to drop to the floor or ground, and their presence there indicates a mechanical problem or illness in the rabbit.

And Janet Tast, D.V.M. notes:
      http://www.ultranet.com/~hrs/artcl03.htm

Cecotrophy by Janet Tast, D.V.M. "Cecotropy is the process by which rabbits will reingest part of their feces directly from the rectum. This should not be confused with the term coprophagy (eating fecal material) since rabbits only ingest the soft "night" feces or cecotrophs."

Caryl Hilscher-Conklin (M.S. in Biology, University of Notre Dame) also makes this claim:
      http://www.rmca.org/Articles/coprophagy.htm

"One may not give much thought to the lazy chewing of the cud that we observe cows doing all the time, but this behavior is analogous to coprophagy. The only difference between cud chewing and coprophagy is the point in the digestive tract at which nutrients are expelled and then placed back into the mouth."

Now, we must also remember that artiodactyls were first defined as a separate order in 1847 by Richard Owen and the behavior of cecotropy was first recognized in 1882. Deuteronomy, however, was written approximately 1500 BC in an ancient Hebrew. It would be intellectually dishonest for someone to claim that a 3500 year old writing is contradictory because it doesn't match with a scientific classification invented only about a hundred years ago. Further, if the ancient Hebrews defined 'cud-chewing" as that process where half digested vegetation was re-chewed by an animal for easier re-digestion ( and that is a very specific and scientific definition), I would say the hare fits here fine.

Whenever someone translates an ancient language or writing, some word for word parallels are not going to be available. Most scholars understand this and accept the cultural backgrounds and meanings for what they are. This is why hermeneutics is a serious field of study in higher education.

I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had on the accuracy of the Biblical text.

Read more: http://www.comereason.org/bibl_cntr/con … z0YHdvrhDL

More to follow as it comes together, as stated you asked a whole heap of queries at one time, they are apparently mostly 'old  chestnuts' brought about by those who seek to dilute Gods word or try to prove the bible to be errant, and for me they do represent problems, however I am also amember of a great study group of about 50 very devoted Christians, and for them, this is a job of searching out stuff already used to destroy false challenges in the past.

Satan is not new to the propaganda game and as he is the father of lies, the deceiver and the accuser, it is to be expected that he will 'inspire' these sorts of nonsense attacks...

as I said, more to follow as they come.

BTW it seems that my friends have quoted scientific papers for this proof, so I'm surprised that the scientists amongst our esteemed ranks failed to correct the query when it was posted, but maybe they are not so interested in proving the bible.

I answered two ''show me the proof' queries from some loud-mouthed atheist (can't remember which one) and as they were obviously accurate (because the bible IS accurate, or rather God is) there was no other peep from their camp, except to make inane smiley face replies and put the normal LOLOLO type of asinine comments.

Never mind, we (and there is a 'we' here now) shall keep hitting back with the truth until they stop spouting these lies.

So people will be able to see how inaccurate these challenges are for quite a while, or at least until the points have been all answered.

1. profile image0

Let's start with a few items
        First of all it was Herod Antipas who was ruler of Galilee during Yeshua's time not his father Herod the Great who died 4 BC. Herod Antipas ruled  from 4 BC-39 AD

Bats-This was just the times when people didn't know  everything we do today. We know it only because we have been taught.

Chewing the cud-Rabbits eat their own feces and re-ingest it. The feces pellets go to a fermentation chamber where undigested food goes. And again, back then they didn't know that when a rabbit sits and chews, it wasn't exactly like the cows.

The Sun-They still call it rising and setting so.......

This just means the ancient people didn't have the internet to look up stuff. I don't think God took the time to teach them about cuds.
        From the time it was discovered Pluto was labeled a planet, now it's not. In 2000 years they will read many of our books that say it is a planet. They too will say our writings are in error. However in 2000 years, they'll be smart enough to know, since the books were written we had to have existed.
        I am certainly not saying the English Bible is correct, in some parts but not most. But it's the translations that has caused what seems as contradiction .

Since your list is so long, I'll get back to you.

3. profile image0

According to the cantillation signs placed in the Hebrew text of Genesis 15:13 by the scribes, the phrase "400 years" refers back to the words, "your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs." The years of Abraham's offspring being strangers in a strange land BEGAN with the birth of Isaac (2048 AM), NOT with the Egyptian enslavement. Therefore the text ought to be understood as follows: "Know certainly that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs . . . 400 years." Adding 400 years to the date of Isaac's birth brings us to 2448 AM, which is the year of the Exodus and the giving of the Law at Mount Sinai.
      The 30-year difference in the number of years mentioned by Paul in Galatians 3:17 and the number of years specified to Abram by God is due to two different starting points for the same ending point. The first covenant (Gen. 12:1-3) was instituted 430 years before the Law was given on Mount Sinai, while Genesis 15:13 refers to 400 years between the birth of Abraham's chosen offspring, Isaac, and the Exodus from Egypt. This means that God made the first covenant with Abram in 2018 AM, 30 years before Isaac was born. Therefore, we can deduce that Abram left Ur at the age of 70, spent 5 years in Haran, and then left Haran in 2023 AM at the age of 75, as Genesis 12:4 tells us. The covenant of the pieces (Gen. 15) was probably made in the year 2033 AM, just before the birth of Ishmael in 2034 AM.
      However, because of a statement made by Stephen, many think that Abram didn't leave Haran until after his father died:
      ACTS 7:4 "Then he came out of the land of the Chaldeans and dwelt in Haran. And from there, when his father was dead, He moved him to this land in which you now dwell."

Based on the biblical chronology shown above, we know that Terah was born in 1878 AM. Genesis 11:32 tells us that Terah lived 205 years. So simple math establishes that Terah didn't physically die until 2083 AM (35 years AFTER the birth of Isaac). There is no way to reconcile Stephen's statement if we apply it to Terah's physical death. Therefore, unless we assume (incorrectly) that Stephen was mistaken, we have to realize that he was referring to Terah's spiritual death, not his physical death.
      Many times the Scriptures speak of the living as being dead because of sin (Rom. 6:13; Col. 2:13; Eph. 2:1, 5; I Tim. 5:6; I John 3:14; I Pet. 4:6; Rev. 3:1). We know that Terah worshiped other gods (Jos. 24:2). Clearly Stephen was referring to Terah's spiritual state, not his physical state, when he mentioned his death.
      Exodus 12:40-41 tells us the very day that God first made His covenant with Abram:
      The Bible tells us that the Israelites started their trek out of Egypt on the 15th of the month of Abib (Num. 33:3). Therefore, we know that 430 years earlier, on 15 Abib (or Nisan), God first told Abraham to leave Ur of the Chaldees and promised to bless him if he did.
      Some argue that Exodus 12:40-41 shows conclusively that the Israelites were slaves in Egypt for 430 years. However, the focus of these verses is the SOJOURN of the children of Israel. Literally, this sojourn began when Abraham left Ur at the age of 70.
      The maximum possible time for the sojourn is only 350 years. We see that the biblical chronology does not allow for 430 or 400 years in Egypt. So what is the correct number of years in Egypt? To find this out, we need to go back to the year of Isaac's birth and work our way forward.
      We've already determined that it was 400 years from the time of Isaac's birth until the Exodus (2048 AM + 400 = 2448 AM). Isaac was 60 when he had Jacob and Esau (Gen. 25:26), which means Jacob was born in 2108 AM. Jacob was 130 years old when he moved his family to Egypt (Gen. 47:28), which indicates that this move occurred in 2238 AM. The time period between 2238 AM and 2448 AM is 210 years. So it was 210 years from the time Jacob moved his family to Egypt until the Exodus took place.
      However, it was AFTER the children of Israel had multiplied and filled the land of Egypt, and a new Pharaoh who did not know Joseph had arisen, that the Egyptians enslaved the Israelites. We do not know for sure how long the enslavement lasted. But since Joseph died in 2309 AM (Gen. 50:22), it was probably a generation or two after this that the slavery began. My best guess is that they were enslaved approximately 100 years, give or take a decade or two.
      For those of you who haven't studied Jewish sources, the time period of 210 years has long been known and proclaimed by the Jewish sages. But for many reasons, Christian scholars tend to disdain and dismiss Jewish understanding of the Scriptures. By doing so, they (and we) are missing out on some deeper insights into God's word. This is not to say that the Jews are right in all their beliefs and teachings. We are told to prove ALL things, but to only hold fast to that which is GOOD (I The. 5:21).
      We tend not to look deeply enough into the Scriptures to find the full answer. "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings is to search out a matter" (Pro. 25:2).

This type of presentation of information is one of the tests God built into the Scriptures to frustrate those who don't truly want to obey Him. God tells us how we must approach our study of the Scriptures: "For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept, line upon line, line upon line, here a little, there a little" (Isa. 28:10, 13).

Most Christians do not use this method to study. Instead, they proof text and play "trump the verse." Proof texting is finding a Scripture that seems to agree with one's point of view and then using that Scripture to override any apparently contradictory Scriptures. Instead of trying to harmonize ALL the Scriptures on a particular topic, most Christians support those Scriptures that fit their particular beliefs and then ignore or overturn others that don't fit their doctrines. This is one of the main reasons we see so many denominations within Christianity. Is Christ divided (I Cor. 1:13)? Unfortunately, in this age of itching ears (II Tim. 4:3), the answer is "yes."

What is the point of stealing other people's opinion and posting it as your own words?

http://www.herealittletherealittle.net/ … s-in-Egypt

I see a lot of you religionists doing this. What does it achieve exactly?

Well I guess it answers fool questions that have already been answered elsewhere and saves time, at least they have taken the time to research and answer the question.... which takes a little bit more effort than sticking snide remarks on everything you disapprove of but cannot refute.

So stealing is OK then?

Odd that you missed that point. Refute what? Why should I even bother refuting anything you say.

As the other religionist pointed out - I am sure you can find an appropriate scripture to "back up" whatever point of view you have. lol

2. profile image0

Due to the complexity of putting these time lines together and finding someone who was smart enough to, I used the work of Brian T. Huie. I forgot to post the link. When I came back to this  post someone (Hummm) had permalinked and I couldn't edit my own post in order to add it.
        The above information is from http://www.herealittletherealittle.net/
        written by: Bryan T. Huie 
May 3, 2002
        Revised: October 24, 2009

1. Bovine Currency profile image61
          Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just saw your latest post come up, I am over all that.  I was wrong to butt in really, it is not my business.  My apologies.  I just read this post top to bottom and I appreciate that this particular way of reading scripture is something you value and I found it rather interesting.  However, it doesn't point to any more grand truth than any other interpretation, it doesn't point to any truth.  It doesn't make any sense.  I have been locked up in psychiatric institutions for beliefs that are less reasonable.  I take offense to that but I don't want to argue about it.  I am not sure hate is the right word but if I were to hate anything, it would be religion, it is a distraction from the here and now and the suffering of here and now, religion only seeks to squander its faithful in the past, in fantasy, it makes me sick.  My point stands, I don't want to dispute your faith, I am just putting my experience across, I read yours, I apologised for my mistake earlier.  I hope you can respect what I have said.  Thanks.

1. profile image0

Oh boy. I was just trying to show a time line because of something someone said. I am not showing religion.
            Explaining this over and over is getting boring.

No problem Have a great night

48. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

pay2cEM

I found this information to be accurate from my knowledge of the bible.
    You have stated your points succinctly, nice post. smile

49. Jerami profile image58

Cagsil wrote:
    @aguasilver

You know, you keep coming at me, but don't like it when I respond and you chose to actively bait me. If you don't like what I have to say, then DO as you're pathetic god says to do.

Shut up and mind your own business. The fact: you stepped into a conversation I chose to have with someone else, that isn't you, doesn't give you the right to interrupt my conversation, with your pathetic long post. Which really didn't say anything.

Again, like I said- I KNOW 'what' you 'are' and if I need to, I will show all the people of the forum, exactly what that is.

Jerami said... I like what you said in this reply except for one thing.
    I think that you should read your own words; be able to see the wisdom in them, and apply them to yourself as well as shouting them off of the roof top at everyone else.

50. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 14 years ago

There is irrefutable proof in the Bible that Skin stretches further than rubber cause Joseph tied his Ass to a tree and walked forty miles...So there...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)