Why did God allow 3 innocent girls/women to be locked away by a sicko for 10yrs

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (56 posts)
  1. mintinfo profile image64
    mintinfoposted 10 years ago

Why did God allow 3 innocent girls/women to be locked away by a sicko for 10yrs

What is the lesson and who is the lesson for?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7981359_f260.jpg

2. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I don't believe in God, but if I did, it would be apparent to me that God has a "non-interference" policy when it comes to human events.  It can be so difficult to understand the depravity some humans are capable of at times, but I think we need to keep the blame where it lies - solely with the monster who perpetrated such an act.  As for these women, I hope they go on to do amazing things like others before them have.  I can't fathom what they went through, but hopefully something good can come from it in the future.  I think the lesson in it for all of us is to be aware of our surroundings and don't be afraid to get involved when you see something you know isn't right.

1. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
      LoisRyan13903posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Excellent answer.

2. IDONO profile image61
      IDONOposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your beliefs are just as real as mine. I thank you for recognizing and respecting that, rather than condemning or ridiculing.  Maybe learning to set aside our opinions to address a bigger cause, is the lesson. They need the support of us all.

3. Freeway Flyer profile image84
    Freeway Flyerposted 10 years ago

You can ask this same question about all of the horrific things that happen throughout the world on a daily basis. If God exists, he chose to create a world in which a wide variety of different types of suffering would be possible. Sure, much of the suffering is caused by human beings. But an all-knowing being would know that human beings committing terrible acts against other humans was inevitable.
    (And spare me the original sin bullshit. An all-knowing God would also know that it was inevitable that Adam and Eve would eat that apple.)

Philosophers and theologians can spend hours laying out reasons why a divine being would choose to do things this way. I'm not sure if any of them would be particularly comforting to these girls or their families.

What drives me up the wall is when people attribute their rescue to answered prayer. Does this mean that the cases in which kidnapped victims wind up tortured and dead are cases in which God chose not to answer the prayers? If God has the power to answer prayers and save victims of horrific crimes, then why does he only save them some (and not even most) of the time? If you are going to give God credit for saving people, then you also have to give him credit for letting them suffer. Either He does not have the power to prevent suffering or does not have the will. Those are the only two options.

It's no wonder that every major religion has developed some concept of a judgment day. Clearly, there is no justice in this world. So if there is any justice out there, it must somehow happen in an afterlife.

(Sorry if this sounds a bit bitter. But I have two daughters, and knowing that there are ass holes out there who would do this type of thing pisses me off. And the typical, moronic pat answers to explain why these things happen do nothing but add to the frustration.)

mintinfoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't have said it better

4. OutWest profile image57
    OutWestposted 10 years ago

Funny but when God does save someone, like a baby falling from a balcony, no one is making Him responsible for that. 

http://www.jpost.com/Jewish-World/Jewis … icidal-mom

God gave us ALL the freedom to choose, but wants us to choose good.  The bottom line is that it is the individual who is responsible for their own actions and not God.  This is just a cop out in my opinion.

The question was not "why did God make it happen", it is why did he allow it to last for 10 years. One of the victim's mother even died of a broken hart after losing faith that her daughter would be found. Surely God could of laid some bread crunbs

2. getitrite profile image70
      getitriteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually your answer is a cop out.

3. OutWest profile image57
      OutWestposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is a cop out to blame God and not lay the blame where the responsibility is.  People blame God for the bad but never give Him credit for the good or accept responsibility for their own actions.

4. IDONO profile image61

mintinfo. How did your choice of best answer become hidden? If you somehow changed your mind, OK. If not, someone illegally hid my answer and should be reported.

5. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 10 years ago

In answer to this question I'd like to quote from Neale Donald Walsch's book, 'Happier Than God.'   In it Neale says, "God is not a Super Being in the sky, with the same proclivities and emotional needs as human beings, including the need for love and revenge.  God is life's Essential Energy.  You might want to call that energy Pure Intelligence.'

"Intelligence doesn't care whether you believe in It or not.  I doesn't care whether you use It on purpose or not.  If you do use It on purpose, It doesn't care how.   It makes no judgement about any of this.  In fact, It makes no judgement about anyting at all'

"Pure Intelligence wants nothing, needs nothing, seeks nothing.  It simply Is.  It exists in a way that allows Itself to be used.  It does this, it allow this, it makes this possible, by placing Itself inside of Everything."

Note those words "It makes no judgement about any of this."   God or Infinite Intelligence grants all of us total freedom to be and choose.  If a 'sicko' chose to do this he will, now caught, be taught a lesson (we hope)   But if the Laws of Karma really do exist...his next life upon Planet Earth isn't going to be a pleasant one!   It from this he might learn what needs to be learned by being subjected to the appropriate sufferings that bring this message home.

I'm not saying this is true, but is a working hypophesis I can live with.

I believe that Pure Energy is the intelligence of the universe but humans have disconnected from it long ago.

6. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 10 years ago

God has nothing to do with it.  It is called free will, something invented by the leaders of the first churches to make an escape root for an all powerful, caring deity.

7. peeples profile image91
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

If there is a God and there was a lesson, there would have to be a better way to teach it.

My sentiments exactly

2. IDONO profile image61

God doesn't teach us lessons. He gives us the ability to learn them from each other. That's why we teach history in schools. Keep listening. Maybe the girls themselves are carrying the BIG lesson. In the end, something good will come out of all this.

8. profile image54
    graceinusposted 10 years ago

Why would you sit there a blame God for this. The man who did it is fully responsible for his actions Don't sit there a blame God. Questions like this make me sick.

If we bury our heads in the sand and do not ask questions even when they may seem inappropriate than very few of us get enlightened to other perspectives. I dont get indoctrinated, I seek, acknolodge, and learn.

2. WalterPoon profile image69
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Graceinus, why does questions like this make you sick? Are you claiming that God is not omniscient (all knowing)?

9. DDE profile image45
    DDEposted 10 years ago

God has nothing to do with these actions the person who thought with no mercy had everything to do with these girls disappearance, it is sad to see how most females are looked at by  such individuals.

10. whonunuwho profile image55
    whonunuwhoposted 10 years ago

In my opinion, God did not allow this, Satan takes full responsibility. God freed them and showed the world that there is hope for us many times, when we may be in despair, and never to give up. whonu

1. getitrite profile image70

What kind of silly God would wait ten years to rescue someone?

2. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I think the neighbor who was brave and stepped up when he heard the woman screaming is the one who saved them.

3. mintinfo profile image64

I wanted someone to say it was god's will so that all kids can carry guns. Pony rifles maybe?

11. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

We cannot blame God for everything that human beings do. Man has been given free will to do whatever they want on this earth. Be it so evil it turns your stomach. Evil is every where. How about thanking God these precious girls were found instead of blaming him for what happened?

You could look at it that way. There was nothing to prevent any one of them from giving up at any time, comiting suicide in the process but it was a will to live that kept them going and the knowledge that someone cared.

12. blessedp profile image81
    blessedpposted 10 years ago

Why did God allow this and that and every evil on earth to happen?  Why do we blame God for our actions.  We all know right from wrong and believe it or not, all of us will be held responsible for our actions whether it is good or bad our pay is sure.

God gave mankind free will to choose the right path way. So, let us not be deceived we know the right thing to do.  Many people have issues with the bible and with God; but if we truly read, believe and follow the words of the bible. What a difference it would make.

It is sad what happened but let us look at the bigger picture.  Thank God they are alive. With theirs and other persons ordeal there is a testimony behind it.  They can bring or help to bring a change to another person life. 

Please!Let us stop blaming God. We are responsible for our own action.

1. getitrite profile image70

Let's see....don't BLAME God for doing nothing to stop their torture for ten years...but do THANK God that they are alive.  Sounds absurd.

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
      LoisRyan13903posted 10 years agoin reply to this

The book of Job is a perfect example of somebody who lost everything.  In the end Job gained back more than he lost.  Oh wait a minute I forgot, to you God is imaginary

3. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

AMEN Lois!!!!!!!!

4. getitrite profile image70

The story of Job is absurd, and he didn't gain everything back.  He didn't regain his entire family back.  Just a childish story about some silly imaginary God and Devil, making a callous bet, just to cause undue suffering on a helpless person.

5. mintinfo profile image64

Things I learned from Job. The devil has no power unless God allows him to act. Man has no athority to question God's plans. Sounds like a dictator with a wicked henchman to me.

6. IDONO profile image61

getitrite, or wrong. Would you have the guts to look at these 3 girls, face to face, and tell them the God that they prayed to for 10 years, is absurdand it was his fault? I think they would spit in your face.

7. getitrite profile image70

@IDONO
      What a hateful and confrontational comment coming from a tough guy hiding behind a computer keyboard.  Yeah these girls need a big bad person like yourself to stand up for them.  What a joke.  LOL

8. IDONO profile image61

getitrite. Read your own answers before you call someone else hateful. You don't call people's beliefs absurd without being hateful. Hiding? Read a couple of my hubs. Hiding isn't my style. Maybe you hate yourself. That's how selfishness flourishes.

9. getitrite profile image70

@IDONO
      Your beliefs are ABSURD....So is Islam, and all the other childish beliefs.  That's just reality.  I said that without any hatred toward you.  I guess reality sucks for you.  Sorry.

10. Lor's Stories profile image61
      Lor's Storiesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I never blame God.
      We do have free will.

13. getitrite profile image70
    getitriteposted 10 years ago

I guess the best answer is that God is imaginary.  Clearly their rescue was only by chance that one of the girls had the brazen courage to attempt an escape.  SHE GETS THE CREDIT.  Not this whimsical childish imaginary character called God.  If there is an all powerful God, then He failed these girls...miserably, and should no longer be worshiped or given any credit for anything...since it was the actions of that one courageous young woman.  God would have let them die there.  Why?  Because God is imaginary.

1. IDONO profile image61

If you think God is imaginary, you had better be right! Belittling other's beliefs is because of the fear that they may be right. Rather than your response showing conviction, it shows desperation. God doesn't fail.  He also doesn't owe you explanati

2. getitrite profile image70

God has failed the starving children in Africa.  He failed to stop the terrorist attack in Boston, etc. etc....so it appears you are not being honest at all.  It is you that is fearful and desperate, not me, as I have no fear of these childish tales.

3. profile image0

God is not responsible for any of these things you mention. It is African warlords, Islam radicals, etc. It is "MAN" who are evil, not God. God gives us free will to do as we please. If not he would strike you down for your comments. Assumptions!!

4. getitrite profile image70

It's embarrassing that religion makes some adults sound like 4 year old children, incapable of discerning reality, but instead substituting the childish 2000 year old stories of long died ignorant goat herders.  Dangerously disturbing.

5. profile image0

Apparently you have not read the Bible. Yes, they were ignorant goat herders which proves the point that there had to be divine intervention because the Bible is written brilliantly. Prophecies have almost all come to fruition. Man could not do so.

6. getitrite profile image70

Whimsical wishful thinking is no proof of divine intervention.  You have proven nothing in support of your beliefs.  You have, however, proven my point, exactly....that your beliefs are completely childish and are not based in any truth, whatsoever.

7. profile image0

My beliefs are childish? You are the one with these elementary comments. Maybe this is why you cannot wrap your mind around anything that you cannot see or touch. Like a... child.... very good analysis.

14. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
    LoisRyan13903posted 10 years ago

When God created the world he gave men and women the freedom to choose.  And as Christin said, "we need to keep the blame where it lies - solely with the monster who perpetrated such an act."  And this is from a person who doesn't believe in God.  I can't even think of what they went through all these years and, unfortunately, this most likely won't be the last time.

As for those "men" when it comes to judgment day, God will give them what they deserve.  And from what I hear, the one man may be getting the death penalty but I would rather see him staying a very long time in prison.

15. IDONO profile image61
    IDONOposted 10 years ago

A number of people spoke of choice. Some choose evil and evil doesn't exist without a victim. God or no God, it's a fact that can't be denied. Where God steps in, is what these girls choose to do with that experience. They can choose to live the rest of their life in fear. They can choose to try to block it out by becoming drug addicts or just isolating themselves. Or they can choose to turn an unbelievably HUGE negative, into a HUGE positive.
         It's a well known fact that there are vast numbers of women and children in this world that are going through similar experiences. Many, worse, if you can imagine. These girls, in time, could use their experience to save the lives and sanity to thousands of people, just by being able to fully understand what they are going through. They can share how they cope with the nightmare memories and dealt with the many sleepless nights. They can guide them through the process of catching up with a fast moving world and don't need to be permenantly left behind. They can share how hope alone can get you through the most ugly of ordeals. And simply how to appreciate life and freedom itself.  Being able to feel the joy of being part of the healing process of another victim will give them the feeling that it wasn't all in vein. That will take their attention away from their own horrific time and allow them to focus on someone elses. This can be huge in the healing of their own psychological wounds.
         Now, these girls get a second chance. They now get to be the ones that make a choice in which way they go.
         I believe that these girls are not blaming God for their ordeal, but are thanking God for their release. We should too.

idono, I did not change or hide the best answer. I can still see it on my comp but if it is hidden on yours it is not my doing.

2. IDONO profile image61

Thanks. It's back up now. I don't know what happened. I thought someone sent an imaginary virus to my computer for a minute. Thanks for your vote. I try to live upbeat; not negatively. That's a lonely place.

3. mintinfo profile image64

It happened therefore if you believe in God then you must see it as a lesson of some kind or you may lose faith. Your answer addressed what the possible lessons to be learned are.  I'm a non believer but I'm still interested in the psych of religion

16. daskittlez69 profile image76
    daskittlez69posted 10 years ago

Why would you blame this on God? God gave man the gift of freewill.  It is not his fault that there are those that misuse it.

17. Lor's Stories profile image61
    Lor's Storiesposted 10 years ago

Why do we blame God?
    It's not God
    It'd stupid , evil humanity.

18. djdaniel150 profile image60
    djdaniel150posted 10 years ago

I guess beliefs don't really equate to facts now do they? This is an evil world we live in. We can either accept it and fight it, or turn a blind eye and deny it. Religious beliefs are not facts. Religions are not facts. Facts are facts, and facts require evidence, not superstition. Its logical reasoning really.

19. Freeway Flyer profile image84
    Freeway Flyerposted 10 years ago

This hub started off as a response to a question asked on Hubpages. As the title indicates, it was just one more version of the classic theological question, "Why does God allow bad things to happen?" As you might expect, the question received a... read more

20. taburkett profile image58
    taburkettposted 10 years ago

Why is it that everyone omits the devil 's work in these circumstances?
    God did not detain these girls - another human detained these girls.
    This individual chose to follow the ways of the devil rather than the ways of God.
    Every individual is tempted with sin - but few take that path.

The answer you seek may be found here - JOHN 8

You Are of Your Father the Devil

39 They answered him, “Abraham is our father.” Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham's children, you would be doing the works Abraham did,
    40 but now you seek to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. This is not what Abraham did.
    41 You are doing the works your father did.” They said to him, “We were not born of sexual immorality. We have one Father—even God.”
    42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me.
    43 Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word.
    44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
    45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me.
    46 Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me?
    47 Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.”

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)