What do you do personally to make society a better place? What do you think oth

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (49 posts)
  1. taburkett profile image58
    taburkettposted 10 years ago

What do you do personally to make society a better place?  What do you think others should do?

Today many people blame others for the decay in moral society. However, these same individuals do not accept responsibility for their negative actions. What do you think needs to be done to restore the moral society?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8212911_f260.jpg

2. Insane Mundane profile image58
    Insane Mundaneposted 10 years ago

I thought moral societies have been on the decline since the early 1800s.  Such an ancient query...  Anyway, your question: What do you do to make society a better place?  Uh, like, uh, avoid it as much as possible...   Which would almost be the same as asking "what do you do to make STDs a better disease?"  LOL!

taburkettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nice - but no prize. Conditioned criticism is one of those areas that needs to be eradicated. When one seeks truth, they do not run from it.

2. Insane Mundane profile image58
      Insane Mundaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Avoiding something is totally different than running from something.  Plus, personal truth seeking, as you basically worded it, has nothing to do with the majority or how they are living.

3. ALUR profile image60
    ALURposted 10 years ago

I cannot speak for others, if they are not aware of their role then it is their journey, however I do small things like pick up litter, see clients for reiki healing and often I give of myself by being a listening ear and often raising someone's esteem: a gift in of itself...

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. If the world would begin to follow those it would be a better place.

4. Billionaires profile image61
    Billionairesposted 10 years ago

In the words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., "History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

In other words, each of us must decide to become a Change Agent, or Agent of positive change within our sphere of influence.

How do we do that? I'm glad you asked, the first step is to "Lead By Example."  Yes, I'm a military veteran that still lives by the awesome principles, and doctrines taught by our nations finest.

This term simply means to be the person you want others to emulate, follow, respect, and admire. The "do as I say, but not as I do" philosophy has never been effective in creating positive, long lasting change!!!

Right - personal responsibility for promoting good is what is needed.  We should learn to walk and talk just as eloquently as Dr. King.

5. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

Teaching responsibility and awareness, love and humility, confidence and forgiveness.

We should help each other wake up to the growing tyranny around us. We should not react to the government's fear-mongering, but should study the situation carefully and look past their lies so we don't end up giving tyranny what they want.

More and more whistleblowers are coming forward. But you wouldn't know about most whistleblowers, because the corrupt Corporate Party media does not talk about things that are too controversial. They demean and marginalize the really important stuff.

Bradley Manning loved his country enough to serve. And he loved the Constitution enough to blow the whistle on crimes the government was committing. Now, he lives in prison for his service.

Susan Lindauer, a former CIA asset, was put in prison for a year because of false and secret charges (charges even she was not allowed to know), and they gave her no hearing during all that period. Even the corrupt press would not tell her story.

But now, the National Press Club is starting to wake up. Their industry has been and continues to be under assault. I just watched a video on one whistleblower speaking at the Press Club:

NSA Whistleblower Thomas Drake speaks at National Press Club - Mar. 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wp2BGLMqDM

We all need to help each other become more aware, not to enrage each other to violence, but to appeal to our loving reason.

The naughty child that is Obama -- the two-faced, silver-tongued devil who works for masters who live in the shadows behind the government -- he continues to betray his Oath of Office, shredding the constitution, applauding transparency in government, while viciously cracking down on those who embarrass the government by revealing its criminal behavior.

We need to help each other become students of alternative sources of information. We need to help each other learn critical thinking and how to spot lies in the innuendos.

We need to help our fellow humans learn that America has lost its way and that 9/11 was an inside job. Too many facts prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that 3 buildings came down by controlled demolition on 9/11. Nearly 20,000 scientists, engineers and architects have staked their careers on the truths discovered by AE911Truth.org.

We need to take America back from the Corporate Party psychopaths, before they spoil the entire world.

You are correct, the psychopaths are overtaking the good people of America and must be stopped. Restoration comes from those who are willing to walk the walk and spread the good talk.

6. Jynzly profile image63
    Jynzlyposted 10 years ago

We cannot change society collectively. To dream of that, one can only start within himself, then live the principle you set for yourself and expand your social horizon. Those who know you and and the good that you do to yourself would emulate, imitate and follow you but this would take your life time; the change won't  be visible in your lifetime, perhaps you would be talked about if you had lived an exemplary life even after you had been long gone. We can only hope that society will evolve into a better one as far as morality is concerned. The force of darkness or negativity is very strong...the internet and other media had advocated and helped a lot to deteriorate morality in a given society.

Collectively we can make a difference if each is focused on the correct goodness needed to promote the change. A return to daily displays and teaching of God's word would be a great way to start.

7. Dr. Haddox profile image59
    Dr. Haddoxposted 10 years ago

I teach many lessons that others want to learn in order to make themselves better. I behave in a way that improves the quality of life for all in our society. I think others should "do no harm." First of all "do no harm," then if you see fit to do "acts of kindness" that helps to make the world better, then do it.
    Regards,
    Dr. Haddox

Thank you for your teaching. The world is a better place because of your actions.

8. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

If our morality is Love. Then our peace be the same. If our morality be of hate then our peace reflects that. We are learning to accept each other in love. You are not. You shall dwell in hatred and that is a fine place for you to stay.
    You just made a negative horrible statement. You shall remain in negativity.

Do you accept responsibility for this negative question? No you ever admit that you are negative?

AH - personal attacks - a terrible way to promote moral society. This causes many evil actions. Those who disrespect, never respect themselves. Evil is within the person, not without. Blaming others-now the norm promoted by the USA President.

9. erorantes profile image49
    erorantesposted 10 years ago

You get your friends and people that you know involve in activities.

Great - I hope that I live within your circle of caring.

10. sunkentreasure profile image68
    sunkentreasureposted 10 years ago

THE MIRACLE OF LOVE

One person can affect the lives of so many people

Find a cause that you care about and follow your heart

Be a helping hand to others who can’t help themselves

Take a message of hope to those that are lonely and forgotten

Give away love.

Your smile will be the sunshine for someone

Your prayers will be a gift to your loved ones

Let kindness bring a song of joy

and love will create beautiful miracles.

Your idea is a good one. And the songs shall spread wonderfully through those that oppose evil. But I fear that evil will resist this sunshine as individuals continue to work for themselves.by attacking others.

11. winjoy profile image58
    winjoyposted 10 years ago

Start respecting each other's differences and know that we might be different but we are all connected in some way. The media needs to be controlled more because it controls the minds of young people influencing them to commit infidelities. Activities need to be set up in society that can build people's social skills and tolerance for each other..

Tolerance is good when it is focused on good. But today I am afraid that the tolerance is focused too much on the evil that humans do. The media is simply a symptom of the political corruption that burdens all.

12. someonewhoknows profile image73
    someonewhoknowsposted 10 years ago

Increase their awareness of their own power to change themselves as well as the world around them day by day .

Your simple plan would definitely support positive change. It is each individual that must make the difference.

13. parrster profile image82
    parrsterposted 10 years ago

I aim to live according to Christ's example and trust his words. I believe society would  do well to do likewise. Of course, this is a pipe dream, even Christ acknowledged that most would reject what he had to offer.

You have identified the primary reason for the evil. Those who reject the words written about peace and truth are preventing the society from attaining its moral glory.

14. wqaindia profile image37
    wqaindiaposted 10 years ago

Decay in moral society does not occur overnight. It takes long long years to switch over from Good to Bad and it will take longer longer periods for transforming from Bad to Good.  Prevention is better than cure and let the prevention start at the micro level to reach the macro level up gradation.

I agree - I work at the individual level to pass on the truth about how to enrich life.  Hopefully this planting of thought will prevail and overcome the evil that is continually growing around us.

15. liesl5858 profile image84
    liesl5858posted 10 years ago

Simple, learn how to respect and care other people wherever you are.

Simple, yet correct.

16. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 10 years ago

Restore moral society?   What makes you think the world was a better place in the past?   It certainly wasn't.   But to get to your question.

We can spend our whole lives trying to change the world but the only person we can really change is ourselves.  So if each of us determined and resolved to become the grandest version of what we think we could be, then the world would certainly change.   

Great leaders are our exemplars.   We look to them so often and hold them up as role models.   But great leaders might not always be 'good' people.   You could say that Adolph Hitler was a great leader, but he was hardly a role model for a moral society.    For many teenagers, a sporting hero or a pop star are their role models, despite such heros having 'feet of clay.'

The only really effective - and the safest way - to change the world you want it to be is to start with yourself.   And keep on with yourself.   And if you keep on keeping on for long enough the chances are you will be doing your part to make the world a more moral and happier place.

In the past we did not have as much corruption as we do today. The world may be getting smaller but it is now filled with too much evil because immoral people are again directing and influencing. Since humans created it they must fix it.

17. PaoloJpm profile image83
    PaoloJpmposted 10 years ago

I speak the truth. I think avoiding or preventing lies can help this crazy society of ours to become better. People should also learn to accept facts to over come things   and accept consequences.

I agree. People should take responsibility for their actions. Their actions should be honorable. Everyone should work through truth.

18. sereseus profile image69
    sereseusposted 10 years ago

Well I think that we should live a simple life.You cant expect morality when everyone runs for money.First of all we should stop making gossips about others and making them look bad.A little cooperation, a little forgiveness, a little understanding ,a little care ,belief in Jesus,and concern for our nature can keep our society a happy one indeed.So what do you think about this?Is this satisfying..smile

It is satisfying to me. But then I am happy to live in such a place. However, I feel that others like the immoral chaos. How about you?

2. sereseus profile image69
      sereseusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ya I am also feeling the same taburkett.

19. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

stop talking other people backside stories. People are born to be gossipers just like old grannies gossiping on every corners. Don't look down on others. Respect them and they will respect you.

You are correct. Every individual needs to respect others. This will not be easy to transform in todays society of evil.

20. Seshagopalan profile image69
    Seshagopalanposted 10 years ago

The common excuses given are
    "A single man cannot do anything, got it?"
    "Nothing is going to change at any cost!!"
    "The society is already damaged"
    "The leaders are corrupt"
    "My neighbor is corrupt"

Eliminate all of these.
    THERE IS A CHANCE FOR A CHANGE

21. jlpark profile image80
    jlparkposted 10 years ago

I treat all people as I would like to be treated - be that we have huge or small differences of faith, opinion, sexuality, gender, race.

Unfortunately, I can only do what I can do, and whilst the world will change one person at a time, it does so very slowly.

What do I think needs to be done? I think people need to start treating others better - regardless of difference.  If there are 'errors' in other people's ways - so be it - they will be realised if they are necessarily 'errors' in time.  BUT, what you (being anyone) perceive as an 'error' is not necessarily. AND that is what people need to realise - difference is NOT WRONG, it's just different.

22. preddyc profile image60
    preddycposted 10 years ago

Keep calm and chive on. Pass it forward.

www.chive.com

23. Zsuzsi profile image62
    Zsuzsiposted 10 years ago

I think that the brief interactions with strangers could have an effect on society and whether we each have an overall good or bad day. I try to be positive for both me and for people I meet during the day - for example the person asking for directions on the street, the waiter in the café, the student rushing to school and passing by quickly,or the musician at the metro station. We are the same in many ways and a smile could brighten the day for anyone. Time, attention and kindness are some of the valuable things we can give to others.

A smile saved my life one time. It provided a means to assist my enemy who had been shot twice in his right shoulder.

24. Jay Max Juster profile image60
    Jay Max Justerposted 10 years ago

I write hubs. I empower people because I sincerely believe that the cells in our body contain a sort of "bioethical code" as Mario Martinez would call it. The reason people act immorally, then, is because they are disconnected with this cellular energy and rationalize their misbehavior after the fact.

1. Insane Mundane profile image58
      Insane Mundaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Now that's hilarious...  LOL!

25. profile image50
    Min Bendiroposted 10 years ago

At least abide the rules of law but never compromise values and divine orders.

Here in the Philippines, since I have started to know and learn what's happening the world around me, the first question is answered by all politicians holding positions from lowest to top.  Now at 44, I can't describe why the country becomes a "PORK BARREL REPUBLIC" as most countrymen say and so do I.In other countries, change for a better society to live can be achieved.

TAKE OUT HUMAN GREED AND WE'LL HAVE A SOCIETY BEST PLACE TO LIVE ON EARTH.

26. profile image53
    Norine Williamsposted 9 years ago

Teach the "truth" in the Word of God!  I am a "believer" and therefore the Word of God says in Matthew 28:19 says that we should "Go ye, therefore, and teach all nations..."  I have found that HubPages is one  resource available to Christians to spread the "truth" in His Word!

27. stas karimov profile image60
    stas karimovposted 7 years ago

The most important On the Earth is reason. If you want to be rich you will not be good and perfect as Jesus. If you want to be
    not American president you will tell lies 100 times and destroy the others candidates. When to be happy or to be successful is to be bad - a society will not improve. I invented the formula of the perfect State. In such State the most perfect is the most happy! Why do we need this? To live without wars and problems it is necessary to be the strongest in the world. Perfect organization always will win ANY imperfect organization.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)