From a Christian stand point, what is time?

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (86 posts)
  1. David2423 profile image59
    David2423posted 14 years ago

A very good freind asked me this question.And it will be intresting to hear other Christians input.

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting ?
      Really ?

2. kess profile image61
      kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you merely interested in the Christian view or the truth?

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The human soul is timeless, immortal;  it is our main essence; it lives forever,  and will end up in one of two places.

Time here on earth is only a fraction of that.   Yet as humans, it's what we naturally want to cling to.   But then, Christians aren't just "natural" because, Spiritually, our real home is in Heaven with God.

If you mean how does God measure time......only God knows!

2. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the present.

3. Rod Marsden profile image67
        Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The world was created in 6 days but it has been argued they weren't regular days as we know days to be.

The months of the year and the celebration times are based as much on pagan ideas, attitudes and beliefs as they are on Christianity. Our present calendar has 12 months. The one before it only had ten months.

Time differs from age to age. Before watches and clocks people could tell the hour by putting a stick into the ground or looking at a sundial. there were centuries in which people got up with the first rays of the sun and went to bed before those rays departed the sky. Night was for sleeping. Burning candles for any length of time was once expensive. Most people couldn't afford to do it very often.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
          TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's my understanding that the word "day" in the Genesis account of creation would be better translated "age"

1. Rod Marsden profile image67
            Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Age sounds more like it.

4. profile image52
        arsmithposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In the 11th hour. We are the generation that shall see many signs and wonders, earthquakes, pestulance, desiease and famine.

1. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As has every other generation! lol

5. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What has Christians to do with time?
        Is there a 'Christian' time ?
        Is there a Christian event of horizon?
        Is there a 'christian ' relativity ?

6. vox vocis profile image82
        vox vocisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are two kinds of time: time here on earth which passes by irretrievably and time after death called eternity.

7. The Learner profile image60
        The Learnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Time is simply a consequence of God's creation.  It's a form a measurement that is confined within creation based on orbits and revolutions. 

Time is simply a characteristic of the created order.

God is an eternal being who exists outside of time, for he was before creation existed.

8. Disappearinghead profile image61
        Disappearingheadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Time is a con trick invented by the swiss so that we would buy their expensive watches.

9. ChapmanHester profile image62
        ChapmanHesterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Time is absent of time... Time is the twinkling of an eye, it is the instant of a life here and gone, it is the way we define our time here on earth, waiting for God to call us home...  But in the end... Time is nothing but an instant.  We all live and die in an instant... The First Day of your life is the Last day of your life... Everything before you die becomes just a memory and then in an instant it's over... So what is time...? Time is nothing and everything... But the Question is What is God? And do you truly know him? For those of us who do... We know the true answer to what is time... Time is irrelevant! Time doesn't matter, you could live a day or a lifetime, but in the end it is eternity that matters and that my friends is absent of time!

3. profile image0
      thetruthhurts2009posted 14 years ago

In the BEGINNING GOD....

4. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years ago

lol

5. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 14 years ago

Time is man's way of rationalising the concept of infinity.. This might add some knowledge to the question, but I believe many ancient cultures based their calender systems upon the alignment of the constelations or planets.. there being 12 zodiac signs and 12 months of the year.
      however Im not a hundred percentage sure if this is true, maybe someone else could shed some light

6. tantrum profile image60

lol
      I sure know how I measure it !
      lol

7. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 14 years ago

Egyptians came to grips with the fact that the year was more than five days longer than their venerable 360-day calendar. This resulted in a change to their method of approximating year length that had been in use for nearly a millennium.

8. Arthur Fontes profile image74
      Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Is it a magazine??

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you are thinking of "What is Life"-- that is a magazine.

2. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

9. tantrum profile image60

lol

10. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
      Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

Is the question what is time, meant in a philisophical sense, or a physical sense? Like it takes the Earth 24 hours to make a complete rotation and 365 days to revolve around the sun.

David2423posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Time. is it measured by mathimatical stand point or living stand point.Is it a form of spiritual time.Do you know when your time is to expire, an exact minute, hour, day.Isnt Our time which we Know of for example/ we know that tomorrow is wednesday I know 12:00p.m. I will eat lunch ect.For  my Christian faith time is of an element to enjoy the gifts of Christ and in that I am having a good time. For when my life here on earth expires my eternal time will never end. so in a Christian sense of time lets refer to it as for example I am enjoying this ride in eterinty or in this life. lets use life an eternity in place of time for a Christian does not really have a time does he.He has but yet another life in eternity.My friend wasnt asking me if I knew what time it was I guess maybe she was wondering if she was living life here on earth in good time.

2. mohitmisra profile image61
        mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This accuracy is the cause of time. smile
        An invention by man in order to try and bring sense into things.We cannot understand no time,its embedded very deep. smile

11. mega1 profile image78
      mega1posted 14 years ago

oh good grief - we need the Christians to DEFINE time now? do we?

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mickey Mouse was a closet Catholic, you know....

1. mega1 profile image78
          mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

waaaaaah waaa waaaaaah!

12. tantrum profile image60

lol

13. tantrum profile image60

Happy to know my time is not your time!
      you're not making sense !

14. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years ago

So, for a good time call.....

So for a good time call on Jesus... Amen.

15. tantrum profile image60

Use your phone.

16. Elisa Yager profile image59
      Elisa Yagerposted 14 years ago

Time is the 4th dimension.  It is how we measure when things happen in life and when we can anticipate certain events. 

A good book to read is "Imagining the Tenth Dimension" which you can find on Amazon. 

My two cents.

17. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years ago

There are 60 seconds to a minute, 60 minutes to an hour, 24 hours to a day, 7 days to a week, approximately 52 weeks to a year, 10 years to a decade, 100 years to a century, 1000 years to a millenia.

1. profile image54
        (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really, don't Christians believe one day is equal to millions of years? Or, is the earth really only 6000 years old?

1. mohitmisra profile image61

This is incorrect or may be there is a deeper meaning but why does all of Christianity have to be branded as a sad philosophy for something like this.Its a spiritual masterpiece and not historical.

2. profile image0
          SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are mistaking believers for God. To God a day is as a thousand years. Has nothing to do with believers.

As far as the age of the earth, I have no idea. God knows. Science thinks it knows but it doesn't. A few decades ago it was in the millions of years, now it is billions.

1. profile image54

Is that your belief or did god tell you that?

A few decades ago, we didn't have the technologies of today. Perhaps, with newly developed instruments and tools, we'll get an even more accurate prediction.

If god knew, why didn't he tell you?

1. profile image0

Tehcnology or not, science still doesn't know how old the earth is.

I have never asked God and don't plan on it anyway. I do not try to manipulate Him, which is what it seem you, among others, expect me to do.

1. DogSiDaed profile image59
                DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Science is getting closer all the time smile It is within a very close margin as far as Universal time goes. You are incredibly ignorant if you think otherwise. Plus, how can you prove the current figure is wrong?

2. profile image54

And, that's somehow a problem and something that's going to support your religion? Science has brought you everything you enjoy today while your religion has taken away much from you, yet you still remain in denial. tsk tsk

Isn't that what prayer is supposed to do, manipulate god?

1. profile image0

What difference will it make if the exact age of the earth is known?

Most scientists have believed in God. In this day we live now are more scientists than ever before who were the ones who invented many of the things we now enjoy.

I recall reading that 80% of all scientists lived during the 20th century. This means that very few invented much of what we use today. The scientists of today should be thankful for those who came before and did most of the legwork for them.

NO.

1. profile image54

It will mean nothing to believers, whatsoever.

Nice try, but nope.

Who says they aren't. Are you trying to make a point here, DirDent?

1. profile image0

What difference will it make to you?

2. mohitmisra profile image61

A day 23 hours 59 min and 56 sec.

18. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Time is the  present which is why Gods Salvation is also a gift ,get it present-gift , oh never mind lol smile

19. Susana S profile image93
      Susana Sposted 14 years ago

Why would anyone need a christian standpoint on time? Learn all there is to know about time and create your own standpoint. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYmdgHyC … r_embedded

20. profile image54
      (Q)posted 14 years ago

Time exists as a mathematical quantity (same as space). Time is not a physical quantity in terms that anything depends on it. Nothing in our physical universe depends on time as well as on space (location), as well as on velocity, and on some other "purely mathematical" so to speak quantities.

This "physical non-existence" of such mathematical quantities is called "shift symmetry (of time, of space, of velocity, of phase, etc)" and is expressed by simple equation: F (t)=F (t+t1). It means, that nothing changes if you shift in time (or in space, or in velocity) any physical process - no observable difference whatsoever.

We call this symmetry term the "energy conservation law,” and "momentum conservation law" for space non-existence (shift symmetry), and "special relativity" for velocity non-existence (shift symmetry), “charge conservation” for phase non-existence, etc.)

Because nothing depends on time, there is no absolute time. No time stones, no other marks indicating time. The only way of "measuring" this mathematical quantity is to take any periodic process say, a pendulum, or a string, or a light bouncing between mirrors, or an electron oscillating in an atom, etc - then call the device a "clock device" or simply "clock”, then take TWO measurements of numbers of oscillations say, at two different locations, or at two different gravity environments, or at two different states of motion, etc., then take a RATIO of these two numbers (can't be one number because time is not absolute) and then label this ratio as "relative rate of one time versus another" or "rate of time versus reference clock rate", or "time in conventional units of time" or "accurate time" or simply "time".

Time used to be defined via pendulum, then via quarts crystal oscillations, then via Cs electron oscillation, and soon via H electron oscillation.

1. profile image0
        Marliza Gunterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HEN I WAS STILL INTO MAGIC...I USED A PENDULUM TO FIND MY STOLEN JEWELRY...QUARTS CRYSTALS...TO SUMMON RANKING DEMONS OR ASTRAL TRAVEL....CRYSTAL BALL TO COMMUNICATE...TWO MEASUREMENTS OF TAROH CARDS TO EVALUATE MY "WHAT IF" OPTIONS....ANY COMMENT?? CLOCK WERE GOOD FOR MEDITATION...HEHE... wink

21. Rod Marsden profile image67
      Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

Time is relative to culture and religion is part of culture.

22. fatfist profile image65
      fatfistposted 14 years ago

Time is love, desire, and lust.
      Don't believe me? Then just ask all the women that are after my attention!

23. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 14 years ago

It's 2:15 pacific.

1. profile image0

Now this is how rumors get started. Holding back part of the information. AM or PM???   tonguetonguetongue

1. profile image0
          Onusonusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

PM. LOL!!

24. M Cassian profile image61
      M Cassianposted 14 years ago

I would add that time from a christian's perspective is nothing but a countdown to the second coming of Christ. Amen?

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen!

amen

25. chambersgirl21 profile image60
      chambersgirl21posted 14 years ago

Amen smile

26. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years ago

I think time from a Christian perspective is lost time.

Ramen! lol

1. marinealways24 profile image59
          marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Noodles! lol

... and a noodly noo to you too! smile

Taking my noodle to bed. lol

Have a good night Earnest.

Good night Marine, sleep well! smile

27. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

it's 9:46 eastern time right now. big_smile

9:49.

28. Bibowen profile image88
      Bibowenposted 14 years ago

Christians differ as to the nature of time. "There's no time like the present" probably sums it up about as good as any statement I've heard. The past is gone--it no longer exists and the future is beyond our grasp. As for God, He's eternal, but temporal at the beginning of the universe.

29. profile image0
      Marliza Gunterposted 14 years ago

ELO DAVID...GOD'S TIME IS LIKE A CIRCLE...ENCLOSED...NEVER ENDING...YOUR TIME HERE ON EARTH IS LIKE A CAPSULE...A MEDICINE CAPSULE...ITS A COMPLETE UNIT...THAT'S WHY GOD ALWAYS SPEAKS OF THE FULLNESS OF TIME...THAT'S WHY THERE IS NO FAMILY GHOSTS HAUNTING A HOUSE...ONLY DEMONS...CAUSE OF THE FULLNESS OF TIME CONCEPT...THEY CANNOT MISS THEIR BUS TO HEAVEN OR HELL...THERE IS A LOG BOOK THAT ARE STAMPED ON YOUR ARRIVAL...TIME IS AN ESSENCE...LIKE VANILLA ESSENCE...IT IS SUBSTANCE OR MATTER...STUDY ATOMS AND MOLECULES (NUCLEAR ENERGY)...YOU WOULD FIND IT INTERESTING AND INFORMATIVE...SCIENCE PHYSICIST...ALMOST LIKE ECTOPLASM...JUST THINNER...PS..ASK GOD HIMSELF TO TEACH YOU ABOUT TIME...YOU WOULD NEED PRESPICASTION FROM GOD...BE BLESSED...

1. profile image54

OBNOXIOUS...DENSE...LIKE A BRICK WALL...ONLY THICKER...

1. profile image0

YIP...SMARTIE...UVE GOT IT EXACTLY RIGHT...TIS WHY GOD CANT KEEPS HIS EYES OFFA ME...ELO!!

2. profile image0

Son 8:9-10 ASV  If she be a wall, We will build upon her a turret of silver: And if she be a door, We will inclose her with boards of cedar.  (10)  I am a wall, and my breasts like the towers thereof Then was I in his eyes as one that found peace.

OOH...OBIE 1 HAS TAUGHT ME WELL....wink

30. manlypoetryman profile image81
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Just something we are stuck with...at this current point and time big_smile !

31. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

Time is a gift

32. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 14 years ago

Time is a reckoning according to a species given the sphere or realm they currently inhabit.  When this world was near and worthy to literally exist near God's world time had little use according to our understanding.  It was mute and does complement the doctrine that God was, is and always shall be the same unchangeable God.  Upon our death our current reckoning will be altered as well.

33. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years ago

Our idea of time may be why some people believe there is a god; we think of it as a straight line from an origin through 0 to an end, with us at the zero; or our clock set at some random point that we say is 0. This may also be why christians are convinced of an apocalypse, both the original sellers of the idea and the current buyers who dream for the end because of the myth of a hereafter, which I guess would be out of 'our' time as it is claimed to be infinate.

Time cannot be a straight line, we know that it changes with speed and only exists relatively. I believe that, like numbers, a better way to look at time is as surfaces of time rather than isolated strings. We will need a mathematician to explain that, or an astronomer as they would appear to think that time would be different in another universe.

God is a good idea, the idea of a higher authority would once have kept the behaviour of the highest human authorities in some kind of check. The idea of something better, higher, an example to follow, is not a bad idea. But it is just that, to create a character of a metaphysical being for a book is how you would explain the point of view of the idea, personify it. To believe that the character is real is to be at the level of my cat who runs round the back of the tv when a small creature he has been watching goes 'off screen'. To write words into the personified beings incarnate mouth is to try and assume whatever power comes from it; if god were real then who would dare speak for him, or her.

34. theirishobserver. profile image61
      theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

Time is the journey between birth and death, how you move along that journey will determine whether your journey in the after life will be one filled with the scent of meadow flowers or the dust of coal as it burns in the great furnace of hell smile hope that helps smile

35. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Time is relative. For us here on earth it's a measure. Jesus made it clear when he stated "I am Alpha and Omega." He is the beginnig and the the end so our concept of time is a very simplified. Heavenly Father is eternity and that means time in Heaven is relative to Heaven.

36. kess profile image61
      kessposted 14 years ago

Time is that Which controls the  comingling of  that which are polar opposites.

37. errum fattah profile image61
      errum fattahposted 14 years ago

its 7;45..my time...lol!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)