What are your thoughts on 2012?

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (133 posts)
  1. TheLoanConsultant profile image61
    TheLoanConsultantposted 14 years ago

In Matthew 2:1,2 it says, "Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, saying Where is He who is born King of The Jews? for we have seen his star on the east, and have come to worship him."

This verse of scripture is very revealing for a few reasons. For one thing the word "wise" in this particular verse was translated from the greek word "magos" which means "a magian". This is where the phrase "magic" comes from. The word "sorcerer" has also been used as a translation. These "magian" were a priestly cast who learned in the inner workings of the human mind, in incantations and in the star constellations. Through their training they were still able to come to the conslusion that the messiah was coming and they wanted to come and do obeisance to Him. And the stars showed them not only where He was to be born but also when.

Isn't that amazing? So here you have a priestly cast outside of mainstream Judaism who were privy to the first coming of the messiah through their ancient texts and their study of the constellations. Could it be that the "wise men" the "priestly cast" or "shaman" of the Mayans were also privy to this knowledge, through their study of the consteallations as well? And that not only were they privy to the fist coming of the messiah through their study of the stars but also to His second coming?

You gotta admit it is a possibility. What are your thoughts on this?

1. The Last Quill profile image60
      The Last Quillposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am confused about your comment. If you are referring to the movie, it is nothing but fiction. But if it is about the event that the movie would like to imply, the predicted end of the world or the great tribulation, I say it is more by 2015.

TheLoanConsultantposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My apologies. I forgot about the movie, indeed I should have been more specific. Again, my apologies. : ) But to address your statement about 2015, I'm leaning more towards that time as well. It is my opinion that something significant will happen in 2012, but I'm not sure what. My theory, and again I said "theory" is that even as John The Baptist came in the anoining of Elijah to prepare the way for The Lord's first coming, maybe in 2012, other men and women of God will also come on the seen throughout the world in the anoining of Elijah to prepare the way of The Lord a second time. Then in 2015 they are raptured up or "caught up" as the scriptures tell us.

2. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No.  The mere entertaining of the thought dismisses the prime crux of Jesus Christ - faith.  That's why the time is never mentioned and never will.  If we did we would all be acting as so many are now.  We would be scurrying to "decode" the mysteries when we should be continuing steadfast in love, hope and charity with faith and an eye single to the glory of God.

Is is an example of a complete misalignment of faith when one completely and wholly places it on an ancient calendar.  A calendar will not deliver you or even give you a "leg up" on salvation.  Only true and active faith can do that.  This "doomsday" entertaining thought is not from the Most High but from he who wants to engrain fear and mysticism into the hearts and minds of man. 

Now, if I were only a person engrossed upon phylosophy and ancient mysticism then, yeah, I would say it is very intriguing and interesting.

I see your point. However with all due respect you are comitting a slippery slope fallacy. You're assuming that everyone would be scurrying to decode mysteries while ignoring other key components to their faith.

While this maybe true regarding many people, it is not true for all. But because it remains as a possibility, is not a good enough reason to refrain from studying Eschatology altogether, which is the study of End Time Events.

Paul said concerning the times and seasons you have no need that I write unto you... you are the children of light, therefore walk as children of light.

I do agree with your motive for taking your position. Yes we are to remain steadfast. But studying end-time events does not render someone, "not steadfast".

You also committed a straw man fallacy by stating implied that I was "completely wholly placing my faith on an ancient calender." I never said anything to give anyone a reason to conclude that I am placing my faith on a calender or that anyone else is to place their faith on a calender. So in this respect I have to disagree. Agreeably.

In conclusion, this topic is not to get anyone a "leg up" on salvation. Where did you get that idea?

In regards to your statement about "doomsday" read Malachi chapter 4. Speaking on Malachi chapter 4 is not mysticism but on the contrary it is The Principles of The Doctrines Christ.

3. topgunjager profile image60
      topgunjagerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it's for the stupid=)

Can you be a little bit more elaborate please?

2. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

So Jesus was an alien?
    Very possibly true IMO.

Lol! hehe!  I have to admit that is funny! But if you are seriously suggesting that something I stated would lead someone to conclude that "Jesus was an alien" please elaborate a little more.

3. FranyaBlue profile image75
    FranyaBlueposted 14 years ago

Check out The Arrivals at wakeupproject.com they have a long series that talks over every conspiracy theory and links it up with religion and the end times. It's interesting if your religious.

I just wrote down that website. I'll check it out later and give you some feed back.

4. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

Great '08 red wines are going to be released?
    petit syrah, here we come!

-the "end is nigh" is well, nigh.

Now, let's get busy living in Grace and stop being lazy, waiting for the Word to re-manifest! The Spirit of Elohim now dwells in the hearts of ALL who believe.
    No need for a second saving, it is already done.

Go El o him !!!

Jesus said he will not drink of the vine again until his second coming. So I'm with you on that one. I actually quit drinking recently but I was a wine enthusiast. Red wine in particular. So "a toast" to Yeshua!

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hello, TLC, He never said his 'second coming'.
        Where did you get that notion?

"I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the Kingdom of Heaven."

New Wine!
        Heaven is in us who believe.
        So, indeed, a toast in the remeberence of Him!

Hey there! When I said "until His second coming" I was paraphrasing. To Yeshua! Cheers!

5. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

In 2012 elohims will arrive just like explained by RAEL...

Because of dumbness of liberals, seculars and atheists, Elohims will free their soul from this earth experiment project. And theists will remain free from skepticism, oh elohim come and get them...

Earth experiment project. I like that. It is something like that isn't? If by elohims you mean god's as "the sons of God" I'm with you on that one. Indeed "the sons of God" will manifest before Yeshua's second coming. They are described in Joel 2: 1-11

1. skyfire profile image80
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

by any remote chance there is any exact date mentioned for second coming.. ?

Not that I know of. There are signs that He gave us though. The book of Daniel , Ezekiel and Revelation really get into it. Jesus told his disciples that there would be earthquakes in divers places and that the days would be shortened. Food for thought; The recent earthquake in Chile did something to the earths axis, (according to scientists) and as a result the "days will be shortened".

2. profile image0

err, is there actually a second coming mentioned?
          or an assumed second coming because of the wordplay.

TLC, all of those prophecies have been fulfilled.
          else, Y1shua cannot claim birthright of covenant having fulfilled ALL law and prophecy. This includes Daniel, Ezekiel, etc.
          John's is not a prophecy like the others, as it states at the opening: this is the revealing of Y`shua Moshiach; The Word & Testimony -which is the spirit of Prophecy.

I have hubs on this.

Keep in mind: coming in the clouds or in the clouds in Hebrew means "glory" as was seen in the temple, on the mountain, etc. Kind of cool really. The imagery is just beautiful.

I appreciate your feedback brother and welcome it. As I perceive that it's not coming from a spirit of antagonism. Many feel the way that you do regarding this. The book of Revelation is a prophecy. For it was delivered just like Ezekiel and Daniel was delivered; by the mouth of an angel. It also says in Revelation1:3 that it is a prophecy and that whoever reads it, hears it, and keeps those things which are written in it will be blessed. And whoever takes away from it, God will take away his part out of the book of life.

It is very important my dear friend that you read 2 Peter chapter 3. Peter predicted that in the last days people would come saying,"Where is His coming?" Furthermore, there are still many prophecies that have not been fulfilled. Read Malachi 4. Not to mention the prophecies in Revelation.

1 Thessalonians 4:16,17 is pretty explicit leaving very little room for implications.

But for the record these are not salvation issues.

3. profile image0
          shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

@skyfire... in about 30 seconds! lol

1. profile image0
            Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

HAAAAA I can not type how funny that was

6. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2716/4460617264_756c0ba2ec_o.jpg

1. profile image0

LOLOLOL !

2. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haha! lol

4. TheLoanConsultant profile image61

That is TOO funny!

1. profile image0
        Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't mean to be flip, LoanConsultant, but I found this amusing. I'm just tired of hearing about the Biblical "END OF THE WORLD" and how we're "ALL GONNA DIE" scenario.

Actually, I do think there will be an astonishing change in our world soon. I don't know what that change will be but I do see it for the better smile

Yeah, I see what you mean. What many people overlook is that it's more than just about a simple "end". It's about putting an end to all the suffering and crime and discrimination, and injustices, and many other atrocities that mankind has been subject to throughout history. A crime free world, with no more suffering, no famines, no tears of sorrow, the former things passing away. "Revelation 21:4"  Many people when they hear phrases like "The End of The World" they automatically think of an end to life. Whereas I think of it as an end to all those who do not have love in their hearts and seek to inflict pain and suffering on the people. I see it as judgment against all those who inflict turmoil upon mankind. I see it as a new beginning, "a new heavens and a new earth". No more crazy politics, no more media brain washing, no more of this highly aggravating environment that we live in today.

5. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOVE it Madame X you hit it right on the head with that pic. big_smile

7. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

2012 comes after 2011. smile

And before 2013! lol.

1. profile image0

Yay, we know math, which also probably means we know more about 2012 than all "the world is going to end" people put together. Yay us! lol

Funny. Ok I see your point. That is a funny phrase you used; "the world is going to end" people. lol! That would be funny if there was a committee named as such and people were members. Do you think Oprah would be on it? Or would she be on the board of directors? Or perhaps I should be the chairman? Yes! That's it! I will begin the process today and order T-Shirts and everything. So that's it, it's official. We are now members of "the world is going to end" people committee! Welcome to the club! You are too funny!

1. profile image0

Can I have a t-shirt if I'm not on the committee? You know, since I inspired the idea? big_smile

Ok. Why not? I'll put your name on the sleeve of all the T-Shirts in your honor! smile

8. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

In any case i don't see it makes any difference to the world. Point remains is savior unable to save his own a-- so second third...hardly matters but just to go by the faith of those who want him back, they've any idea about exact date ?

The exact date is just a topic of speculation, food for thought. When we are taking a break from studying or other things. The best things I can see is just be ready. I know I am, my house is in order.

9. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

My thinking is....

If the world ends on 2012 then it is proof that there is a God.  This is good because Jesus died for our sins, therefore, we are free and will live in the land of heaven.  Happily ever after.

If the world doesnt end, well we havent lost anything have we.

Conclusion?  Why worry?! big_smile

AGREED!

10. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

I'm worried 'bout them talkin space monkeys come on down here in 2012 'n making us do their laundry 'n stuff.

I hates them talkin space monkeys!!!

1. profile image0

I thought we were all space monkeys!  It is only 80,000 generations since the first homesapen homiesapen first walked the African Savannah (that is if you believe in evolution, of course) hehehe

2. TheLoanConsultant profile image61

What if aliens sent space monkeys to earth as an experiment millions of years ago and they are who we evolved from? Wouldn't that be ironic? From space monkeys to space monkeys! smile

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Irony or not, Im not letting them do any experiments on my person!...

even IF they are relatives!

You guys are too funny! When I make my first million I will through a VIP party for hubbers only. The passcode is their hub-names!

1. Greek One profile image64
            Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

open bar?

Oh but of course!

11. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

If you stare at the clouds for long enough, you can make out pretty much anything.

But with that said everything must end eventually, and 2012 seems as good a date as any, so who knows...

1. profile image0

or tv static....Ive seen lots of stuff in that too...

or the mirror.... After staring at the mirror for a really long time I was pulled into some kind of vortex, and I ended up in Maine somewhere. It was very annoying, I had to hitchhike all the way back to sunny California. Very inconvenient!

1. profile image0

omg.....the mirror, freaky stuff!! and Maine? hahaha... soooo annoying especially in winter

Yeap. December of all months. I was getting ready for a Christmas dinner. Everyone was pissed at me for not showing up. I couldn't tell them the real reason!

1. profile image0

If it ever happens again..I always have a good meal going on  wink

lol!!!

12. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

2012...my thoughts are, its two years away.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If nothing else it's a good excuse to throw one hell of a party, just in case. :p

1. profile image0

sounds good to me, lets make it a date...new years eve 2011
        party like its 1999.  wink

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
          Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's a deal. big_smile

I think though that it's time to abandon this thread, I didn't realise I'd accidentally ventured into the religious forum, that's rarely a good move. wink

1. profile image0

WHAT!!!!!! this is the religious forum..

okayy..bye guys, sweet uh, dreams....

come hang out in hokeys forum or the tribe er whatever...

2. profile image0
          1. profile image0

lol prince is hot

1. profile image0

Yep,,, he's partied like it was 2222!

I didn't know he was on youtube. I thought he was against going on there for some reason. I forgot all about him

1. profile image0

How can you forget Prince? *slaps*

I know, I know. I'm somewhat of a hermit sometimes. You have to forgive me. smile

13. figment profile image74
    figmentposted 14 years ago

I believe our earth is preparing itself for a mass extinction.

From the lips of Albert Einstein --If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live. No more bees, no more pollination, no more men!

In 2008 farmers started noticing a decrease in the honey bee population, their numbers how now decreased by 70%.

1. profile image0

it was before that? my brother in law worked for a bee farmer in 2007 and there was an established decline then.

1. figment profile image74
        figmentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks for your input justine

1. profile image0

sure. bees been dieing for awhile. Around here, they are making a comeback.

I wouldn't doubt it. If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's to keep an open mind.

14. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago
  15. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I had so many thoughts on 2012 I write a couple of hubs about it. Scaremongering springs to mind. And what really ticks me off is when folks have done making a fast buck from telling us what will/won't/might happen, a whole bunch of kids get frightened in the process.

I hope they enjoy the revenue hmm

Would you consider talks on Global Warming, "Scaremongering"?

1. Haunty profile image75
        Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Global Warming will not end the world in 2012.

1. profile image0

but is "global warming" scaremongering? hmmm

I don't know if it is. But I don't think so.

2. figment profile image74

There have been many mass extinctions since the beginning of Earth's time, but the Earth has continued on, and new species have developed.  It's not the end of the world, just possibly a new world change.

Whatever it is, I want to live to see. Even if I die on that day. wink

You got me there!

2. Jerami profile image59
            Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

12 21 2012  will mark the dawn of a new age as the first day of spring marks the arival of warmer tempratures.
               The new age is already upon us.  The earth is having labor pains as some would say. Others might say that it is standing up in Rebellion for what we have been doing to it.
               This cain't keep going the way that it is going.
                  Change is coming
               Social and religious orders will have a rude awakening.
            We are all going to find out that we don't know what we thought we knew.

2. frogdropping profile image77
        frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not talking about global warming. I'm referring to the topics related to the end of the world in 2012. If you were originally talking of global warming, I didn't answer your OP correctly.

And if you were, I don't buy into global warming as a whole. I believe we're stripping the planet in ways that are causing immeasurable damage. But I've yet to see anything that convinces me global warming is as dire an issue as it's claimed to be.

I'd rather believe in what I can see, not in what's reported in the media. We are making a mess of our planet in many ways. Global warming isn't our only problem.

And in case you're wondering, I recycle, I walk everywhere. I'm conscious about the impact that I may have on the planet and don't suppose that everyone else will take care of it for me.

@ Frogdropping I commend you in your level of awareness. The reason I metioned Globalwarming is because some people who do mention it are guilty of scaremongering but not all. And so it is with discussions regarding the End-Times. Some do it to scaremonge and others do it simply to inform. My purpose is the latter.

16. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

To date there have been at least 220 known predictions for the end of the world dating back to the year 30 CE.

Currently the group with the largest number of incorrect Doomsday predictions are the ‘Jehovahs Witnesses’ who have throughout their time predicted that the world would end in: 1874, 1878, 1881, 1910, 1914, 1918, 1925, 1975 and most recently in 1984. 

So far (as you can probably tell) all 220+ have been wrong.

1. mega1 profile image79
      mega1posted 14 years ago

so many extreme natural disasters, earthquakes, cyclones, tornadoes, tsunamis, bees all of the planet dying off, and other stuff too - and then the manmade stuff, nuclear armaments in the wrong hands, poisons in the water, weird talk show people trying to make us hate the pres -   

- maybe there really is something to all the predictions

if so, I hope I get to die quickly with no pain -

frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Theloanconsultant - and equally, my original comment was related to those that write books and the like, host talks and so on, as a means of 'spreading the word' that the Maya knew something that we didn't and base their knowledge on an ancient calendar.

They also choose to omit what the Maya really were. Over and above their architectural brilliance, their abilities relating to astrology and their mathematical knowledge, they were a brutal, pagan culture, ruled by superstition. They relied on myth and legend in order to function, gods that were invented and passed down from generation to generation.

Anyone that attempted to refute the 'truth' was horribly dispatched of. They murdered with wild abandon and called it sacrifice. No one was sacred - men women and children were hacked to death.

And here we are, centuries later, with people lapping up how advanced they were, how right they were. They weren't prophetic, as many claim. They didn't even see the demise of their own culture, yet we have modern men and women trying to convince us that they could foresee the end of the world?

All very silly smile

They were a fascinating people, advanced in many ways. But they weren't mystical. And the calendar it's all based on? It's likely that it was a system taken from other Mesoamerican cultures and improved upon by the Maya. So the calendar itself was probably never theirs. Which further blows holes in the prophecies.

1. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am in complete agreement with you frogdropping.

The Mayans were not very advanced as a people, what with all the crazy human sacrifices and all.

The whole 1012 thing is a crock!

@ frogdropping that's an interesting point of view. There are a few things I want to point out however. You are refutting our speculation with further speculation. What is your premise to infer that the Maya's got their system from other Mesoamerican cultures? The calender is based on the alignment of the stars.

I never claimed that the Mayan's were prophetic.

It's not farfetched to speculate that these ancient cultures knew things that we might not be aware of today. We assume that because we have modern technology at our disposal today that this is the sum of what is to be known. Let us take for example Physics. All that we know today regarding Physics is remarkable.

So because what we have learned regarding the laws of physics is remarkable, and probably more than what the ancient Mayans were privy to, does that mean that we necessarily have more information regarding all the other phenomena of the universe in comparison to the ancient Mayans? I don't think so.

Various cultures have different areas of curiosity. Some are more concerned with personal development, some with conquering and oppressing, some with the cosmos. So on and so forth.

But rest assured that whatever a particular cultures curiosity lies, they all have at their disposal the means to discover a great deal regarding the topic and matter that they are seeking to understand.

If a particular cuture has limited knowledge regarding a particular segment of science, could it also be that they were just not interested in that matter at the time? and had their focus on other things? Rather than just due to a lack of mental development? People are always so quick to conclude that someone is lacking in a particular area due to a lack of mental ability. Could it be that they just were not interested?

People are always seeking reference points to draw negative conclusions about various cultures to which they have no "known" relation to? Why is that?

Many of the Greek scholars had sex with little boys, but yet many do not hesistate to acknowledge some of the profound ideas of the ancient Greeks. Is this what "they" ignore also? Or what about how Christopher Columbus beheaded the natives of "the new world" and raped the women and abused the children? Are we to ignore that as well?

Do you not see my dear friend all the other consistencies that lie in your deck of the woods? It is my opinion that "they" are aware of these inconsistencies but just as a mockery fail to acknowledge them assuming that those whom these inconsistencies would offend are to ignorant to take notice of them and call "them" out on it.

But rest assured, we do see them. Could it be that we let "them" think that we don't know and that we are the one's who sit back and laugh?

1. frogdropping profile image77

I wasn't inferring. I said what I meant. There is neither evidence to support that they designed the calendar in full nor enough evidence to support that they didn't. It's a best guess, I presume based on archaeologists findings and other forms of analysis.

I never said you did claimed any such thing. I was referring to those that publish work relating to the the presumption that the Maya were prophetic. And I still doubt that they were. And I agree, they may well have had knowledge that we, with all our technology, will never possess. But I still doubt that they could pinpoint the end of the world when they didn't appear to pinpoint the coming of the Spanish and the resulting repercussions on their own culture, or the fact that may have overpopulated their own lands - or whatever it was that caused their initial dispersing from much of their own land. I can't quite accept that they wouldn't have attempted to avoid the collapse of their culture as it was.

I agree. We only have to look at the Dogon tribe for an example. Modern life, in my opinion, restricts us in some ways. Living on instincts and observing simple laws of nature would certainly have benefits that modern living excludes.

I wasnt being negative about the Maya. I was being negative about those that promote the end of the world based upon an ancient culture that modern academics struggle to understand.

Possibly because we like to ignore certain aspects of who and what we are. Whilst you or I have not commited heinious acts upon our societies (or others) we know what we are. And it makes for uncomfortable knowledge.

For my part, I don't ignore miserable and vile acts committed on others. I see everything as a whole, not a part. Whilst others may choose to talk of the wonders of Christopher Columbus (for e.g.) personally I wouldn't have put the man out if he were on fire in the street.

He may have been a great voyager and best remembered for that but he was also capable of evil acts. I see no way of marrying the two sides of him or people like him - or cultures. The coin is a whole, not a half. Easiest to look at it as two sides - that way we can ignore the side we don't like, and celebrate the side we do.

But - that is not my way. As I said previously, I mentioned what was great about the Maya, as well as what wasn't. As you point out, 'they' choose to turn a blind eye.

But I'm not blind. I've two eyes and use them both smile

Excellent response. Very unbiased and impartial, I like how you think. Isn't it fun to draw such things out from each other? Perhaps someone should start a new chain of coffee shops called "Hubbers Cafe"! smile I'll be back later to reply to the rest of the comments, I have to go to church! CIAO

Ahhh lol a HubCafe? For some it would be a great place to meet and talk. I suspect that for others - they'd need a bullring. We only need to look to the forums in general for evidence wink

Nice to make your acquaintance smile

3. mega1 profile image79
      mega1posted 14 years ago

"They relied on myth and legend in order to function, gods that were invented and passed down from generation to generation."

yes?  sounds familiar, very familiar!

4. mega1 profile image79
      mega1posted 14 years ago

oh hell, let's just get crocked!

5. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Crock and Roll will never die! smile

1. Obscure Divine profile image60
        Obscure Divineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I'm going to party just the same way I did in 1999!  Woot-woot!

lol earnest ... and neither will frog and roll. Though frog rolling is not for the faint hearted wink

what is all that stuff about irrational fear of stuff that does not do logic and reason? wink I guess this is the same page.

lol shurrup ye tongue

2. earnestshub profile image79

I love frogs, but ya know puppies can be rolled, cos they are like little barrels of fat, but all the frogs I know are not well shaped for rolling. I just like talkin to em! smile

6. profile image0
      sandieganlizposted 14 years ago

2012: December something, 2012...the day three planets are supposed to align perfectly...or something like that, and cause a change in the solar system...the year the Mayans predicted the world would change.

I don't think it really matters what people want to predict, or even desire to happen with the significance of this time, and the fact that we are in a new century filled with possibilities of abundant natural disasters, changes in the atmosphere, and the ongoing possibility of a meteoroid hitting the earth. I don't think it matters if one goes the scientific way or the religious, what matters is that there appears to be a cycle in life which has occurred on earth for billions of years, and that is that life exists on earth for sometime and is then destroyed... ... ...yeah, like the life-death occurrence which is guaranteed to any living species whom relies on the earth to exist and mutate. (Possibly, except bacteria?) Either way, whether one has his or her own faith and/or beliefs, it seems mankind has an instinct that we are all doomed on earth for better or worse, richer or poorer, now or later. Though we should mainly focus on how we live today and what we want to get accomplished tomorrow, we should acknowledge that life is precious, disaster happens, and each one of us is responsible for his or her conduct while here on earth. As far as death goes, it is inevitable and it is something which no living thing can really describe and predict...except, perhaps, to compare it to dreams.

My take, anyway.

*Good Luck Everybody*

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very well put.   
        One lifes fortunes is anothers misfortunes.
        And lifer goes on. Gotta love today.
        And if there is a tomorrow try to be ready for it.

2. figment profile image74

On 12/21/12 when our Sun is at it's solar maximum, something will happen that's never happened for thousands of eons of time -- the ecliptic of our solar system will intersect with the Galactic plane, called the "Galactic Equator" of the Milky Way!

http://www.viewzone2.com/endtime.demo.gif

Thanks for the info, I will check that out too.

7. profile image0

And F.Y.I

According to my studies in Chicano Studies, the Mayans were an intelligent tribe from the area known as Guatemala, whom specialized in astrology, mathematics, and art. Then, they vanished and did not leave much of a trail, so their history is a mystery.

The AZTECS are the fierce, savage tribe whom sacrificed humans in belief it helped the sun rise another day. To be sacrificed, according to the AZTECS, was an honor as death was celebrated as a freedom. They often sacrificed those whom were willing to die, but if they could not find anyone, they would sacrifice an unwilling person in belief that if they missed the time to do so, the sun would not rise the next day. This sacrificial belief was dismissed when Cortez appeared and told the AZTECS he could control the sky by tricking their knowledge through the use of astronomy. For instance, he told them the sun would disappear when he knew of an eclipse taking place. (Wow!)

I hope many people do not go off Mel Gibson's portrayal of the Mayans in his movie, "Apocalypto."

8. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

My thought is it is right after 2011 and just before 2013...  big_smile

Am I right? What did I win?   wink

You won the Antique Bronze Eagle Award FCI.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
          Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

WOO HOO!!

A what?  wink

And also a spot on the panel of "the know when the world will end" people committee! smile

9. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years ago

It's just another day. hmm

1. profile image0
        sandieganlizposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you mean, "year."

10. earnestshub profile image79

By 20012 the American economy will be getting stronger, my friends here from America will have jobs again, better jobs.

Poor people will have saved heaps on health care because people will seek attention before complications .... they will get well, stay well and remain productive.The cost of medical care will go down to match all the other countries that have had this care for ages.

The wars in both Iraq and Afghanistan will be over, Israel may be at peace with it's neighbours, or the peace process begun.

The beautiful intelligent people of Iran will be freed of their despotic leaders, North Korea could be under control and their people being fed and be able to be free for the first time in generations.

Medical science will have almost completed work on heart and other organ repair using gene therapy, religious freaks will have to pull their horns in due to better separation of church and state in real terms.
      We will have made much more progress with understanding and preparing for natural disasters.
      I could go on, but to me? Roll on! smile

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
        Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

20012? Earnest you are seeing far far into the future. big_smile

1. earnestshub profile image79

I dunno Faybe, have you noticed the acceleration in the medical sciences? Since computers are able to do more, science is able to leap forward. If America has enough sense to tell the difference between a decent President with peace in mind and a despotic incumbent for whom Iraq was "jobs for the boys."

The massive advantage Barry Obama gives America in keeping doors open to the rest of the world is not to be under-estimated.
          This President could make a real world difference in my view.

11. earnestshub profile image79

ill sick bloke or whatever his name is (I actively try not to think about him) is ill, and will not last much longer, unlikely even a year, he really is crook with kidneys, diabetes, heart problems resulting in part paralysis for starters. A hundred other Despots are waiting in line of course, but for someone who can get a health bill up in America, it is possible to get ahead of the game in North Korea.
      This admin will not be blind to the Israel/Palestine solution either, nor will they remain one sided about it.

12. brethodge profile image39
      brethodgeposted 14 years ago

Nothing would happen as of now.. 2012 would not be the doomsday.. it would not be the 2022 as well.. but sooner the world will end in to blue and the date is not yet decided.. and in fact noo one can decide it now.. it will be the day when noone could imagine..

13. profile image0

Time does not exist!

14. DevLin profile image60
      DevLinposted 14 years ago

Haven't seen the movie, so I'll have to rely on what I studied 3 years ago. Mayan calender runs out after 5,000 years, dec. 22(?), 2012. They were also said to have recorded something about the earth's shift, of every 10,000 years, in polarity. The Chacoan Indians built 3 settlements, with an activity center in the middle, all aligned with the rising of the sun, AND moon. It has a steady path to the north for 14 years, then south, for 14. Watch it. There's nothing steady about it.

A clue, maybe? The reason for the glacier ice in Arizona, some time back? America, the next north pole? The reason for all the changes in ocean movement? It is controled by the moon. The melting of Artic ice, while Antartica can't decide to melt as fast as it ever has, while it has more than ever? How about, who the hell cares? This lab experiment was about being the best humans possible. You're going to die someday, so just concentrate on being the best you. It's all you can do anyway. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go buy a parka.

15. _cheryl_ profile image84
      _cheryl_posted 14 years ago

I can honestly say that my attention can be easily drawn by all of the interesting points brought up as to symbolism, and verses that may give us insight. I do read up on it, and find interest to some extent. But mostly I choose live everyday as it comes with appreciation. When the time comes for this world to end, then...that will be the time!

You don't pursue a relationship (whether in love or friendship) with the effort of deciphering it's time of conclusion. So why put in so much effort (not that you are TLC, but for some that do)towards an issue that you have no control over. I'd rather put the effort into making the most of my time here and not dwelling on when it'll be over. I do think you have sparked interesting thoughts, although none that I think that should be anything worth losing sleep over. Great conversation you've got going! smile

16. Fluffymetal profile image75
      Fluffymetalposted 14 years ago

Mother Earth is giving us the signs that another mass extinction is going to take place sooner than many of of want to believe.  Did you know since the beginning of like on Earth there have been 20 mass extinctions. It is part of the cycle of life.  We are 700,000 years overdue for a pole reversal.  The North Pole has moved over 1000 km in the past 100 years.  The Earth IS changing.  The Mayan calenders were not the only calenders that predicted "a major change" in the year 2012.  There is something ( if not catastrophic ) about 12/12, something special and of great change.  The Mayan's don't even predict that it's the end of the world, they refer to it as "Creation Day".

17. profile image50
      BruceMilesposted 14 years ago

I want to start home network marketing business.

18. Dale Nelson profile image38
      Dale Nelsonposted 14 years ago

Well, to answer you OP, here is my opinion.

For the religion and non-religion inclined. If these wise men were learned in the wisdom of the mind and you understand the concept of the higher self and conciousness relating to this wisdom, then it is possible that the wise men were in fact representatives of the Essenes where according to the bible verses, Jesus spent his teen and early manhood years learning of their wisdom.

However if you were not religiously inclined and thought on a conciousness level and read into the translation of these stories, you could also establish that Jesus was in fact not anyone other than a person who truly understood the power of the mind and was able to seem as though he was able to perform miracles. Have any of you heard of the 3 days in which those spiritually enlightened are in a trance and return to conciousness having an understanding of true enlightenment.Could this be where the easter story comes from and has been translated quite literally instead of symbolically as most religious texts should be and not believed word for word. This predates any Judeo Christian texts and can be attributed to the "wisdom" of the ancients.So Mayan, Egyptian or the likes will all have different stories with the same underlying message.

The age of awareness and higher conciousness. The basic fundamentals being that your spirit is not emotional and is only of your physical being whilst it continues to learn and increase conciousness. Upon death of the physical, it simply waits for another body to attach to in order to continue learning. So the learning of each persons conciousness and spirit is never the same which opens up incarnation debate.

So, I understand your opinion, I just question the entirety and its symbolism lost during translation of the original story into written form and then into other languages.

19. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

looks like a y2k reload.

much different than y2k.  There were no ancient prophecies related to Y2K.

1. profile image0

tu chez.

metaphorical y2k, then.

1. profile image0
            StormRyderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That would be " touché " smile

1. profile image0

ya don't sayz?
              well ,then i'm cooking some really good picnic food for the trip;
              never know, could be flight delays due to weather conditions.

ps, i know this is irrelevant, but you look a bit like my exwife.

1. profile image0

smile You are so right about those delays!! lol

And I hope my looks don't scare you away or bring back horrible memories!! smile

1. profile image0

oh heavens, no. she was beautiful. a bit twisted from scientifically manufactured synthetic potions, but all together a great woman. Plus, my weakness for blonds. My second wife is.
                  must be an obsessive compulsion or just finicky. he he.
                  big_smile

1. profile image0

Why does this sound like 90% of women?? big_smile

And I'm glad I'm not frightning you......yet! smile

20. profile image0
      StormRyderposted 14 years ago

I said it before and I say it again!!!

We'z All Gonna Die!!!!
      http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_2961.gif

hey storm, i'm a hubnugget nominee. big_smile

1. profile image0

Thats cool Figment...I hope you fair better than I did!! lol
          Good luck to ya and I'll go give you an extra vote!!

1. Fluffymetal profile image75
            Fluffymetalposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Storm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)