What are your top 3 sources of traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (57 posts)
  1. misterhollywood profile image91
    misterhollywoodposted 9 years ago

Hi, all!

I thought I would ask a fun but useful question. What are your top 3 sources of traffic. What, if anything, do you do to drive traffic through these sources?

For me, it's Google Plus, Pinterest and some social media communities.

Thanks!

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My top 3 traffic sources are Google, HubPages itself, and Bing, in that order.

misterhollywoodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the information!

2. aerospacefan profile image83
      aerospacefanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mine are Google, Linked In and Facebook so far.

I will have to try Linked In - always for get about them.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
          Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh! LinkedIn is also a good source of traffic for me. So, I will have to change my top 3 as:

Google+
          Linked In
          HubPages

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

I use Google+ and it helps a lot. My other two largest sources for traffic are FaceBook and HubPages.

4. Theresa Jonathan profile image64
      Theresa Jonathanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have been a googler for a long time and recently discovered HubPages.  I wonder if other channels could improve my research for updated information!

5. missolive profile image60
      missoliveposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi! smile
      Here are my top 5 traffic sources for the last year...as per Google Analytics "All Traffic"
      1. Google/Organic
      2. Direct
      3. Pinterest/referral
      4. Bing/organic
      5.Yahoo/organic

As for top 5 social media referrals...
      1. Pinterest
      2. HubPages
      3. Facebook
      4. YouTube
      5. Twitter

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 9 years ago

All time:

google.com    1342152
    pinterest.com    641506
    google.co.uk    212359

1. aerospacefan profile image83

Very helpful information - thanks for posting this!

3. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 9 years ago

Google, Google, and Google.  wink

google.com       
    google.co.uk       
    google.ca           

Which is actually a bad sign; it's better to be diversified as you are with Bing kicking in its share. Facebook is #4 for me, which is interesting, since I don't use Facebook.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google, Hubpages, and Pinterest.
      Since Google is 90% of the total, does diversity really matter?

2. misterhollywood profile image91

I never thought about it but you are right - the sources need to be diversified!

4. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Google hands down, probably 90%, followed by a little Bing, and a sprinkle of Yahoo.

5. Lee Hansen profile image78
    Lee Hansenposted 9 years ago

Organic traffic from a variety of sources is one way I survived Panda and Penguin. When  traffic dropped from Google, Bing and Pinterest brought in visitors who bookmarked and shared. I'm getting plenty of Google traffic these days on my web sites (still working on my first hub) but am glad to see it's diversified.

6. OldRoses profile image93
    OldRosesposted 9 years ago

Google, Pinterest and HubPages.  And yes diversity matters even if Google is 90% of the total.  That 90% is right now.  It could change in the future so it's always a good idea to diversity.

7. electronician profile image78
    electronicianposted 9 years ago

Literally the only traffic sources which show in the list here on Hubpages for me are various different Google domains, my own subdomain in 3rd place, and hubpages.com in 9th place.

The only things I do to drive traffic other than writing good quality hubs is to try to write on topics which people might be searching for, and try to include possible search terms in the title.

I would love to get more social media traffic but most of my hubs are informative rather than entertaining and I think that kind of content doesn't do as well on social media. Plus the only site I realy use myself is Twitter, and I don't like the idea of spending loads of time on the other sites just to try to use them for traffic -- I don't think it would be worth the time apart from anything else.

I like what you mentioned about the title of the hub - that makes a lot of sense. Do you use any software or programs to help you with titles?

1. electronician profile image78
        electronicianposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, never used any software tools. I don't even research keywords or anything these days either.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

I don't use software either.  I choose my own titles and make sure they relate strongly to the information in my hub.  I have taken some excellent training courses on sites I wrote for (BellaOnline, Examiner.com, Yahoo Voices and HubPages suggestions) and am very alert to the best type of titles to use.

8. stuff4kids profile image61
    stuff4kidsposted 9 years ago

Used to be 90% Google, some direct and Hubpages. However, recently rebranded and started a carefully targeted off-line campaign. The result so far is traffic more than doubled and hubs being shared , with new mix of 70% Google, 20% direct (and rising) and the other 10% from social sharing or blogs. Still too soon to say if this is a good longterm strategy but I will share more when I have the data.

9. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

My top three sources are google.com, google.co.uk, and google.ca--in that order.

10. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

for just hubpages?
    Pinterest, Google, HubPages

When looking at all of my sites, Google is first, then Pinterest and other social media, then Bing.

1. incomeguru profile image95
      incomeguruposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@ChristinS, kindly tell me how to leverage pinterest to increase my traffic. I'll be very grateful for your help.

1. ChristinS profile image39
        ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Look at my hubs, and the hubs of others like wrylilt - we use graphics designed to be shareable, good titles etc.  I also format my hubs, even long ones, to be easily digestible, with good graphics, white space, lists, etc.

Also, Pinterest will depend largely on what you write about.  The users are mostly women.  The topics that do well there are recipes, DIY, self-improvement, household hints, cooking tips - pretty much anything that appeals largely to women.

1. incomeguru profile image95
          incomeguruposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm humbled and grateful for your help. Warmest thanks.

I am too!

11. Cari Kay 11 profile image86
    Cari Kay 11posted 9 years ago

Google definitely sends the most

then Yahoo
    then Bing
    and then a number of Google's from other countries smile

Interesting about Yahoo. I was not sure people were using this very much anymore.

12. ChrisGibson profile image84
    ChrisGibsonposted 9 years ago

I'm newer to the HubPage community but I always focus on organic searches, so Google is like 95% of my traffic. Social networks are not my forte

I think a lot of people skip out on the social media part of things. I wonder however if there are benefits to using this in connection with the search engines?

1. ChrisGibson profile image84
        ChrisGibsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure there is but it's hard because a lot of people on FB or Twitter are not really interested in what I'm interested in so it becomes tough to really get a thread of sharing going. I'm not super great at the whole controlling my social media thing.

13. lovebuglena profile image86
    lovebuglenaposted 9 years ago

I just checked the traffic sources link in my account and according to that for me the top three sources are Google, Google ph and HubPages.

14. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Hub Pages, Google and then Social Networks

15. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

Google, Google.ca, Hubpages

I love it:)

16. Cardia profile image73
    Cardiaposted 9 years ago

For me, the majority comes from Google (.com, .ca, .co.uk, etc) itself, Hubpages, and then smaller contributions from Bing, Pinterest, and surprisingly, Yahoo Answers. I'm really hoping to gain traffic from some more sources if possible.

17. Kathleen Odenthal profile image89
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

99% of my traffic comes from google. That is how you make money here. Social media helps, but doesnt bring in the revenue that google does.

Good advice! Thanks for sharing this

2. misterhollywood profile image91

That makes a lot of sense - thanks for the response!

18. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years ago

My sources are google.com, google.com.ng and google.co.in. I did not do much to get traffic from these sources- all about writing good hubs.

Thanks for sharing. Google seems to be the big winner around here

19. Cruncher profile image88
    Cruncherposted 9 years ago

Top by far is the various flavours of Google.

Then Hubpages and internal links from my own subdomain roughly tied second.

Good to know!

20. Tolovaj profile image91
    Tolovajposted 9 years ago

For me: Google (90 percents), HubPages (about 5), than more Google and some traffic from Yahoo and Bing as well. Still a lot of work to do to get traffic from social networks, where Pinterest should be probably best for my hubs ...

Thanks for sharing this information!

21. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Christina: I noticed something that you do on your hubs which is put videos to the side rather than in center of hub and you do same with images. I don't like the size of photos and videos when place in the center.  They eat up the page.  Is your way better?

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes and no - on large screens, it does look better.  Unfortunately, it doesn't translate that well on Mobile screens which is why HP is trying to get us to put everything full width in a single line.  I don't like that look and I prefer the way I have my hubs presently, but I may have to resize images and switch layouts eventually since it would appear most of HP's traffic is now coming from mobile devices.  For now, I intend to keep my hubs the way they are because I like how they look and I use them to apply for jobs and as writing samples, and I want them to look good on larger screens.

22. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I noticed even if I use 300 pixels, if the image is put in full width, it is still huge.  There must be one set size on HP so it doesn't matter if you make your images smaller before you post them in full width.  I had one at the top of a hub that actually ate up my laptop screen.  I replaced it.

Very interesting observation - I am going to look at my photos now:)!!

2. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The information you need about photos is here:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118555#post2503839

23. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

I guess that I would have to say G+, Pinterest, and HP.

G+ is big for me. I am on it a lot.

24. taiwokareem profile image61
    taiwokareemposted 9 years ago

Hubpages
    Google
    Facebook
    Twitter

Twitter - I am going to start using that more!

25. SimilarSam profile image52
    SimilarSamposted 9 years ago

Google
    HubPages
    Bing

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)