HubLove - Official Contest Thread

Jump to Last Post 151-200 of 673 discussions (834 posts)
  1. Olive S. profile image59
    Olive S.posted 16 years ago

okay, where do they post it ?, sorry. in the forum? or in a hub. its in a hub , right?

2. kellyfilmgirl profile image60
    kellyfilmgirlposted 16 years ago
  3. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 16 years ago

This Contest Rocks!!!!!! ,good luck to everyone who wrote a Chicago hub for tonights Judge.....jimmy

4. HubPages profile imageSTAFF
    HubPagesposted 16 years ago

Hey everyone - 89 entries today, and only one rendered ineligible for using copied content. 88 entries which were largely of exceptional quality.

Some have asked if I can post all of the eligible entries. Good idea and I am working on it. In the meantime, you can look browse through the tag pages, like:
    http://hubpages.com/tag/chicago/latest

So, today's finalists on the topic "chicago" were judged by Tamar Weinberg at Mashable. Here are the results:
    Winner: Chicago - The Band that Bridged the Gap by Mystic Biscuit (2nd time winner!)
    Runner-up: US Navy Boot Camp by gamergirl

Congratulations! The leaderboard & total scoreboard have been updated. Stacie Naczelnik is currently in the lead with 35 points (congratulations!), with Whitney05 (34 points) and Talem (31 points) not too far behind.

Good luck with today's Hubs on "style", and see you here tomorrow at noon Pacific!

1. kellyfilmgirl profile image60
      kellyfilmgirlposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Woo hoo! I'm on the board!

Congrats to the winners. smile

5. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

Congrats Mystic Biscuit & Gamergirl!  Way to write quality hubs.  big_smile

6. Talem profile image60
    Talemposted 16 years ago

Congratulations MysticBiscuit, and Gamergirl. big_smile

7. stephhicks68 profile image86
    stephhicks68posted 16 years ago

Boy, I'm telling you - I read Mystic Biscuit's Hub earlier today and I had a feeling she would win again!  Great work and congratulations.  Gamergirl - another fabulous entry!  Cheers!

8. Mystic Biscuit profile image59
    Mystic Biscuitposted 16 years ago

Wow!! I am shocked and amazed! (And, of course, pleasantly surprised!) I have great respect for thr writers on this site. Two daily wins are truly an honor. Thank you!!

9. sunstreeks profile image81
    sunstreeksposted 16 years ago

I did my first few entries for this contest today. Only because it gave me inspiration by taking one word and creating something around it I didn't think anyone else would do. I have no intention of even trying because I don't think it is a fair contest by allowing hubbers to vote for the best hubs.

What I wonder about this contest is how much personal opinion of a person rather then the hub itself, will define the winner of this. Right now we are far off and the hubs are being judged quite fairly but towards the end of the contest, when there are many people with the highest points just in reach of each other, will the judges choosing the best hubs be completly impartial or will they be hubbers who are liked the most and are some of the most active participants in the forums. Would a person that joins hubpages tommorow and does not make a single post in the forums stand a chance even if they put their very best 10 hubs(worthy of the best vote) out every single day?

Personally, I think the judges should all be impartial at least towards the end. Websites or individuals who do not know one hubber from the other. Hubbers actively participating should definetly not be allowed to judge as they can sway the contest in their favor by rejecting the hubs of those in the lead. A hubber from another country can do the same for their friends.

It would be no big deal if this was all just for fun. But with a $5000 prize at stake and this being a contest and not a random sweepstakes I can see things going sour due to personal opinions being the heavy weight of who wins.

Next time.. I would suggest hubs earn points, anything that involves judging is done by impartial sponsors, and then they are put into a random drawing. It encourages everyone to participate because even coming into the sweepstakes later, there is still a chance. Plus because it is random there are no hard feelings.

I just hope that the person that wins the prize earns it for the right reasons.

10. Olive S. profile image59

where is it !????

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I'm wondering the same thing.  Where is Wednesday's clue???

11. Olive S. profile image59

i keep refreshing ready to click! lol

12. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69

If you read back on the thread, you will see they post it around noonish...something to do with blogs...

13. Olive S. profile image59

wat a great schedule,  noonish.

14. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69

I know...I really have to pee, but I don't want to miss it.

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
      Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

tickle, tickle.

15. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

Betcha they're waiting on the blog for today's clue to update.

16. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

I need to give my eyes a rest... that's what I do once I attempt the clue... Sit on the computer until 3 my time, noon CA time, then rest

17. Olive S. profile image59

I looked at the scoreboard and couldn't find my name. I'm going to check again. If anyone finds it can you say so, please. Is it possible to write 4 hubs and NOT get any points?

If they don't match the requirements, yes. They have to be related to the topic, original content (no copied content) and at least 300 words in length. smile

Good luck!

I'm handing over the torch for today to our more financially minded hubbers. There's no way I'm putting something out there on investing for some poor unsuspecting soul. LOL!

18. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69

Did you write them for the style topic?  They haven't updated the board yet.   It usually takes a couple of hours.

19. Olive S. profile image59

okay, lol sorry. yea, I did. I was getting a little discouraged.

20. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

Just a note about topics: as the rules state, Hubs "MUST be truly related to the topic (and not only vaguely-related to the topic)." There were several Hubs that skirted what is in the realm of "style", and some that had nothing to do with style but used the word style in the title. (We gave a pass to the former, but disqualified the latter)

For INVESTING: a topic like "Investing in your own sanity - Relaxation Techniques" will NOT qualify. We will use Merriam-Webster's first definition: "to commit (money) in order to earn a financial return."

Thanks!

Thanks for the clarification.

Looks like the torch is back in the hands of the financial hubbers.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Well then, in this case time is NOT money. LOL. Thanks! smile

3. LiamBean profile image79
      LiamBeanposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Bah!

21. Olive S. profile image59

Hubpages, did you update the scoreboard yet? just wondering

22. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

No, we haven't. We typically do so at 2pm or later, to give the judges time to do their thing.

23. Olive S. profile image59

oh, okay. thanx.

24. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

So here is the final tally: 98 total entries, but 9 rendered ineligible for being off-topic and 2 were far too short (another clocked in at 303 words, barely meeting the requirement!) so a total of 87 valid entries!

As for the judging, here is what Marisa had to say:

"This was tough. I actually have three favorites that held my interest so I had to narrow it down. And then I had to  decide which I liked more. Not an easy task.

Based on the criteria you gave me, the winner is:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-style-a-mohawk by gamergirl

and the runner up is:

http://hubpages.com/hub/DogStyle by helenathegreat

Sorry if it took so long but those were really well written and I wanted to make a good choice."

Congratulations! gamergirl gets a bonus 5 pts, MC7 does for guessing "style" correctly yesterday, and the leaderboard and scoreboards have been updated!

Stacie Naczelnik is still in the lead with 45 points!

And, the criteria that I ask judges to use when judging the finalists are to choose Hubs that are the most:
    * original
    * engaging
    * interesting
    * informative

25. gamergirl profile image86

well holy crud!!

I am so glad I learned how to do mohawks at an early age!

Great job everyone.

26. jimmythejock profile image84

Well done Gamergirl,.....jimmy

27. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69

Congrats gamergirl!  See?  Your score is totally climbing!  You should be proud of yourself because you are focusing on quality over quantity.

28. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

I just want to point out, and I don't mean to embarrass Stacie with this, is that the eligible entries, including those from our "high-volume" participants, are of exceptional quality. I'm glad that none of you are not sacrificing quality for quantity.

I don't doubt for a second when the judges say that choosing is difficult; narrowing down to a list of 5 is hard enough!

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
      Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years agoin reply to this

That is encouraging.  I've been wondering if I have been lacking in the quality department.

29. Olive S. profile image59

Woooooooo Gamegirl!
    Great Job!!!!!!!
    And really good hub.

30. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 16 years ago

Congratulations, Gamergirl!

31. Talem profile image60
    Talemposted 16 years ago

Congratulations Gamergirl!  And congrulations helena for runner up status. smile

32. jimmythejock profile image84

Couldn't hubpages give us a heads up as to which 5 hubs have made the finals each night in this forum, I am sure we would all love to know,  and i think it would add a little more excitement to an already exciting contest......jimmy

1. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 16 years agoin reply to this

I agree Jimmy. I would be interesting to know which 5 were in the finals in order to see what we need to do to boost the quality.

33. jimmythejock profile image84

It would also be a nail biting wait for the authors involved.....jimmy

1. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Actually no - noon California time is 5am Western Australia time - so I was blissfully unaware of winning until I logged in about 3 hours later to discover a suspicious number of comments on my hub!

34. kellyfilmgirl profile image60
    kellyfilmgirlposted 16 years ago

Nice job, Gamergirl! smile

35. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

Congrats, Gamegirl.  Glad you stuck around?

36. Whitney05 profile image83

Guys, I'm wanting to write a hub about my little hobby business, investing money in supplies and such. Would this count as an eligible hub?

37. RLANDA profile image81
    RLANDAposted 16 years ago

Well done, Gamegirl. The competition is getting hot and I feel the heat from gamegirl.

38. stephhicks68 profile image86
    stephhicks68posted 16 years ago

Whoo hoo!  Congrats Gamergirl!  (I've been off line since 2:00 PST...)  Just catching up and YES - I'm with Jimmy and the others.  I want to know the 5 finalists, all the way back to the first day would be super.

39. Mystic Biscuit profile image59
    Mystic Biscuitposted 16 years ago

Hey Gamegirl - Congratulations!! Woo Hoo!   :-)

40. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

Just a head's up - Marisa from Marisa's Dandelion Patch posted this thoughtful entry on her choices yesterday:

http://www.mydandelionpatch.com/2008/02 … s-winners/

41. gamergirl profile image86

Wow!!

She is such a sweetheart!

42. Whitney05 profile image83

In regards to today's clue "money" are there any restrictions?

43. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

Whitney05 - It must be about...money. smile

Today's finalists (in no particular order):

Worst Investment Tools – stephhicks68
    When Life Gives You Lemons, Invest In A Lemonade Stand – In the Doghouse
    Investment Tips for College Students – Stacie Naczelnik
    New Zealand Property Investment – Lissie
    My Investment: The Cost of Breeding Reptiles – Whitney05

Today's judge? Paul Deeds. He'll have his verdict in 1 hr.

44. gamergirl profile image86

sad

45. jimmythejock profile image84

Are we getting a Hubpages Newsletter this week, or is it being postponed until after the contest?.....jimmy

46. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

The newsletter was technically sent about an hour ago, which means you'll see it in about 6-7 hours. I'm serious when I say that Topica has been an ongoing nightmare to deal with.

(Again, keep in mind everything was done on our end for the send on Tuesday night)

47. jimmythejock profile image84

thanks guys,....jimmy

48. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

OK, Paul Deeds has rendered his judgment!

(Just to be clear, I, Jason, choose the finalists; then either another member of the HubPages/YieldBuild team picks the winner, or we have a guest judge like Nate Whitehill from Unique Blog Designs, who will judge tomorrow)

Winner: New Zealand Property Investment by Lissie

Runner-up: Worst Investment Tools by stephhicks68

Investing was clearly not everyone's favorite topic smile We had 38 valid entries.

The current leader? It continues to be Stacie Naczelnik with 52 points. The leaderboard and scoreboard have both been updated. (It took 3 points to show up on the leaderboard today)

49. gamergirl profile image86

Quick, someone send Stacie on vacation with no laptop and a lot of coffee!!

Just kidding.  Everyone is doing awesome!

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
      Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes, please do!  Oh...a nice warm beach...a cabana boy to bring me drinks...nothing but books, no technology...

50. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

Hey, I have posted at least three Hubs on topic during this competition - why aren't I showing up?

Have I been disqualified because I live overseas?

I thought I could play, too, I just wouldn't get the prize if I won.

Is that not the case?

Jenny

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)