So whats your secret Hubkarma score?

Jump to Last Post 101-150 of 193 discussions (351 posts)
  1. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 13 years ago

I have been ranging in hubberscore from 86 to as of late 96... im back down to 94 with a karma of 78

2. liljen23 profile image76
    liljen23posted 13 years ago

My secret Hubkarma is 91 and I like that Hubpages now has that above my profile of what my karma is?? It gives me inspiration to keep moving on to a better karma. I also like the "suggest links" tool, I am updating all of my hubs with this. Hubpages rocks!!

3. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Mine is 62, but I was thinking how much that sucked! Who knows. I don't have time to worry about it for now. Maybe sometime else....

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I've seen numerous posts mentioning linking to their own hubs with the link tool. I already link a lot of mine together, so in those hubs where I already have two links to my hubs, I don't link to mine with the link tool. I suppose the 2 link rule still applies?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Internal links to other hubbers does not qualify in the parameters of 2 link rule.

Internal links can be as many as you like. Internals do not hurt.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I realize that. I'm referring to more than 2 links back to your own hubs. I usually link within the text to other related hubs of my own.
        with the link took, sometimes our own hubs are suggested. I'm simply saying, if you already have 2 links to your own hubs, if you have too many links to your own hubs, doesn't the 2 link rule apply? hmm

The 2 link rules does not apply to internal links .

5. yoshi97 profile image57
    yoshi97posted 13 years ago

It's only a number, and one I can assure you goes higher than 62 (via my own personal experience). If you're looking to raise it up, consider this:

Hubkarma is all about generating links to other hubs that will keep hubbers moving around Hubpages. So, the goal is to create links that will keep readers in constant motion. Here's a tip that seems to work for me:

When you create a link, consider the context. Example:

This is the best *fishing rod* for catching walleye bass I have ever found.

Fishing rod is the word we want to key on, so when we click to see what pages we can link to we are looking for the ones with the highest hub scores that pertain to *the best fishing rod*. Also, we are looking for hubs from *other* people, not ourselves, as we are looking to spread the links - and the hublove.

Ask yourself this ... if you clicked on that link, is it the article you would expect to see? If so, it's a great Karma link. And why would you want to do this?

Page value increases in Google when it brings traffic to the page and when it sends traffic out. As such, you are helping yourself by being an active part of a good chain, which in turn, benefits you and others.
    This is what Hubkarma is designed to do.

As such, put your mind in the frame of the reader and try to out-think what they would expect to find on that click - and provide it to them! Also, do not place links next to each other and I recommend no more than 2 per hub, as you don't want it to appear like a Kontera page.

If you follow this process through and hit up quite a few of your hubs, you'll see your hubkarma rise. smile

6. jenblacksheep profile image69
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

What difference does it make if links are in the body of the text or in a capsule at the side? Does it make a difference to Google?

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

here's a great link hub by susanna which answers a lot of questions. http://hubpages.com/hub/What-is-a-link

7. timorous profile image80
    timorousposted 13 years ago

I think somebody's broke the knob off the Karmama machine yikes 

Last night my Karma Chameleon was 36, and now it's 77 and I haven't done anything relating to my hubs at all...go figure.

Just another number to amuse ourselves with lol

Let's just get back to writing, shall we...damn the torpedoes mad

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Something happened yesterday - I was in the middle of editing a Hub, when it crashed.  When I tried to get back in I got a "down for maintenance" message.  And when I finally got back in, my HubKarma had soared from 40 to 80.

So I think they just tweaked the HubKarma algorithm, maybe it wasn't working quite right.

8. NathanSyckel profile image60
    NathanSyckelposted 13 years ago

9. Mekenzie profile image79
    Mekenzieposted 13 years ago

I LOVE this new feature.. Thank you HUBPAGES .. YOU ROCK!

10. KeithTax profile image72
    KeithTaxposted 13 years ago

And I have no clue as to why.

11. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

It's secret . . . but if you really must know, Smith and Wesson special.

12. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

from a 29 to a 94 in one day! whewhew!

13. Joni Douglas profile image81
    Joni Douglasposted 13 years ago

Does anyone else worry about linking to another person's hub without asking them first? Or is it really a win/win for all?

If you link to someone else's Hub, you are doing them a favour and they would have to be a complete moron to object.

The only reason to let them know, would be if you're hoping they'll be so pleased that they'll return the favour.

1. Joni Douglas profile image81
        Joni Douglasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your response.  Didn't want to presume something I wasn't sure of.

1. spirituality profile image57
          spiritualityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would definitely advise people to let a hubauthor know you're linking to their hub. It's good PR and yes - they then have a vested interest in your hub being indexed in the search engines, so they just might link back to it from somewhere.

14. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I'm 87 today...

1. Ohma profile image60
      Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And You do not look a day over 40/ lol lol
      Just teasing UW.

I would beg to differ......  lol lol lol lol lol lol

*no offense UW. lol lol

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where is that slap smiley? smile

1. Ohma profile image60
            Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Will this do?

Hey, no turning me on. That's not fair. yikes

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Thanks! big_smile

15. Uninvited Writer profile image79

lol

16. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Just being helpful to improve my hub karma!

That certainly isn't the way to improve your hub karma. Turning me isn't a good way to go about it. lol lol

17. wavegirl22 profile image47
    wavegirl22posted 13 years ago

I have an 89 Hubkarma

18. 07Angel01 profile image60
    07Angel01posted 13 years ago

My KubKarma score is 61.  I wonder if that is good....

19. MissusSmith profile image61
    MissusSmithposted 13 years ago

Seems to me we should be here as writers, not linkers. I could live without hub karmascores, accolades, hub scores, author scores and all the rest of the nonsense. I just like to write. The rest seems like a children's game. I use to think it was serious -- and started at seventy something, worked hard for six months -- finally made my way to the nineties -- and you know what? So did everyone else. I saw someone who had been here two weeks, with seven followers and two hubs who for some reason was a 94 -- same as me with 7 months, fifty hubs and 350 followers. That's when I figured out it was all meaningless.

So in answer to your question -- what does it matter?

20. spirituality profile image57
    spiritualityposted 13 years ago

48 - that's from interlinking my own hubs and even having two hubs (hubographies) devoted only to my own hubs.

That's something everybody should do anyhow, for search engine reasons - whatever the policy of hubpages towards linking within hubpages.

I'm like many others here: I haven't really linked out to other hubs. I guess that's what they're trying to get people to do. That does make search engine sense, especially when we link to the best hubs out there.

21. Hub Llama profile image63
    Hub Llamaposted 13 years ago

Mine is 34. Of course, HubPages already does a ton of linking to other hubs automatically, so I never really felt the need.

Wrote up an introduction to hubkarma if anyone is interested: http://hubpages.com/hub/What-Is-HubKarma

22. profile image0
    Non-offensiveUserposted 13 years ago

Mine is '1' !  That's right folks, I am #1 !!!

1. timorous profile image80
      timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Woohooo! Keep it down, NoU lol

23. divacratus profile image87
    divacratusposted 13 years ago

45. And I am relieved to know that it's not a bad hub karma score as I thought it was.

24. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 13 years ago

My hubkarma score went up two points ! I just wanted to warn everybody I am spreadin the love ! smile

25. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

Mine was 51 when it first appeared, I already interlink my hubs, about 2-3 links in the text and a link capsule with the related subject links.. All of course to my own hubs..

I have been meaning to put in a couple more links in the text in the right places and this link suggestion tool helped speed that up..

I have added about an extra 2 links on each hub, to my other hubs plus 1 link to someone else's hubs where i could find relevant QUALITY subject matter that added value..

This was done about 3 days or so ago.. my karma now raised to 53 today... Not sure if this a result of what I have done or natural fluctuations as per my other scores.. but the 51 was constant from the start..

26. dippykitty profile image61
    dippykittyposted 13 years ago

Mine is less than 20 and never seems to go up, even though I've gone back and added links to both mine and other people's hubs over the last day or so. My score seems a lot lower than most of the hubbers who have replied to this topic!

27. hypnodude profile image60
    hypnodudeposted 13 years ago

Mine is 73 with an author hubscore of 91, but I completely don't care about it. I don't really see how useful it is for a hubber and it's just what a gazillion of other websites do with karma points, karma score.... For me it's something like the hop, at best useless. We already link hubs. Having the suggested links tool was more than enough. Also, I would add, unless I really know nothing about SEO, links going out from a hub are worth 0 for big G. so for links to work regarding ranking we should have 100 links going to our hubs and 0 going out.

It's an interesting question, hypnodude.  HubPages requires Flagship Hubs to have 10 outgoing links and I always wondered why.  Then I read that Google likes outgoing links, too, especially to authority sites - because it implies you're giving your reader a well-researched experience.

I was worried about losing readers, though - so instead of linking in the text, I created a links capsule at the bottom of the Hub and put the links there.  I went back and did that for a few of my older Hubs and it definitely had an effect on traffic.

Of course, those were links to related external websites - not sure whether links to other Hubs would make much difference.

1. hypnodude profile image60
        hypnodudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I must admit I'm not such an expert, but surely linking out cannot have a great importance, at least for the writer, otherwise all spammers of the world would use that technique linking to everything. Being so difficult to be found on the net I think putting some link at the end of the hub it's the best thing to do, as I want my hub to be read completely. And then possibly that the reader proceeds to some other hubs of mine.
        It might be that linking to other sites has a positive effect on traffic, but as regards ranking I'm pretty sure that what matters are link from the outside to the hub, and not the contrary. Otherwise spammers and scammers would do it all the time. smile

As regards Flagships hubs and other internal rules it can be that those rules or advices are good for the website as a whole, not sure about for the writer.

1. sunforged profile image70
          sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your very right - most of the recent additions to the HP site are features that are good for the domain. Interlinking (HubKarma/Link Tool), SPam fighting (hubHop)-keeps traffic inside the site and the quality up.

This doesnt directly benefit the individual hubber - but in the roundabout/holistic way - whats good for the site is good for your hubs and the promise that your online writing will have a solid home in the coming years.

ya never know - what goes around may come around

1. hypnodude profile image60
            hypnodudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sunforged you are probably right, the only problem is that all those great additions to the site before being an advantage also for the singular writer need time, if ever, and if the time is too long who knows where the writer has gone when the advantage arrives? As for the links, one thing is exchanging links, another one is linking and hoping that someone else does the same to you. smile

2. profile image0
          shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Arh but Google is an evovling changing thing and they get what they want.  Sure spammers in the past would have done it... but what about the future? I feel a change acoming! *wink*

28. Thamisgith profile image75
    Thamisgithposted 13 years ago

Currently sitting at 53 (for what it's worth).

29. Gina Coole profile image61
    Gina Cooleposted 13 years ago

Mine is 57 - I thought that was really low but from the responses so far obviously not!

30. Csjun89 profile image60
    Csjun89posted 13 years ago

Wow, my hubkarma score has been steadily rising today by 10 points

Argh, wondering if I may jinx it by posting

but heck

31. LeanMan profile image81

Since posting earlier in this forum it has jumped 3 points to 56..

32. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I dropped to 86...

1. Dorsi profile image87
      Dorsiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow you got good karma Susan!!

33. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Mine is a 106 and I got an email from Google telling me they are paying off my mortgage.  I am so stoked!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Yeah, right. And I won over $1Million in a lottery I never entered...

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's awesome!  Congrats on that.  It's much harder to win without entering.  I'm impressed.  When you have the big beer bash to celebrate, I would not like to be an univited writer.  smile

34. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

=57689

35. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Mine is 64. I don't even know what that means!?

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It means you need to link to my stuff in some of your most popular articles, Habee.  I recommend my Vlad the Inhaler one, it needs traffic, and you need to raise that score.  Link it to like your top ten traffic hubs and I'm sure that will help.  big_smile

2. Friendlyword profile image59
      Friendlywordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me either. And why is it secret?  60

36. LeanMan profile image81

I am just hoping that after a few emails that the people I have linked to link back...

37. bgamall profile image70
    bgamallposted 13 years ago

Mine is 80

38. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

I'm laughing at the title of the thread. It has the word 'secret' in it. You're all blabber beaks! *lawls*

39. liswilliams profile image38
    liswilliamsposted 13 years ago

mine is 69, I usually add a link in my hubs

40. Sandyspider profile image72
    Sandyspiderposted 13 years ago

I don't feel so bad reading this. My score was 52. Now it is 50. I see some high score hubbers with scores lower than this.

It looks high here. Even though I am bummed out with my overall score. I don't know why it went from 89 to 80 in one week.

41. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 13 years ago

My "secret" karma score is 66. Guess that's pretty good but always room to improve!!

42. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

I've got Karma... just waiting for Sutra ? (~)

1. Vibhavari profile image67
      Vibhavariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

barryrutherford - are you talking about KAMA SUTRA? i have not heard of karma sutra.. smile

2. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the same thing every time I see the word! I guess our minds are in the gutter, Barry!

43. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

For no reason that is apparent to me, I have gone up 12 points in Karma. A more acceptable 54. smile

44. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Mine has continued to creep up.  I think Marissa's probably right about ongoing tweaking.

45. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

I have a hubkarma score of 85 - love to share the looooove x

46. Dobson profile image76
    Dobsonposted 13 years ago

After milling around at 68 for a while, mine finally is increasing as i add more links to everywhere. Not it is at 81.

47. katiem2 profile image61
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

Mine is 59...

48. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

Mine's like George Jefferson.........movin' on up!  (66)

1. susanlang profile image61
      susanlangposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol ha..ha that was funny.

49. angela_michelle profile image95
    angela_michelleposted 13 years ago

Mine is 77, but I've always linked a lot to people's. I always hoped they would reciprocate, but most did not.

50. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

When this first appeared, mine was 25 or 30; I don't remember.

I didn't like the idea at first, but I made a strong effort to find appropriate HP content to link to - the suggestion tool was not giving me good results.

So, I manually searched and found a few places I could link and feel good about it.  My HK is now 55 and I assume it will keep going up if I can continue to find links I can accept.

I can see how this is good for HP, so I will make the effort.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)