Talent Exchange (Good Hubs for Good Money)

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (76 posts)
  1. DJ Funktual profile image77
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

I will teach anyone, anything they want to know on how to make the best hubs if they can just expain to me what i'm doing wrong that they don't make any money. 

I'm betting that this is purely a computer knowledge / fill out the right forms / check the right box kinda thing but I have no idea what it is. 

In fact, while my traffic has risen every month, the adsense money has been smaller.  I always assume that everything is a scam b/c I'm a NYer and we know better. Igf it's not a scam, then step up and prove it!   

If there is anyone interested in picking my brain for Musical, Movie info, etc. in exchange for info to make me money.  I'm so totally down.

Go round the hub.  see who's out there.  everybody's got a different style and different tale to tell about adsense.  i want results.

My hubs are pure pleasure so I don't mind making them but I gotta tell ya, I'm starting to feel a lil' naive and stupid. 

In fact, I'm working on a movie script about how the 6 HubStaff members are actually ALL OF YOU.  Not one of you is real and you're all perverts from India.  wink

1. Earth Angel profile image61
      Earth Angelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sorry DJ!!

Everyone at HubPages are wonderful people who are real and post their real photos, real names and real life stories!! All of them are dedicated to making HubPages the best quality  money making site on the web!! I applaude and salute them!!

But all us Hubbers are still all learning!! I am feeling the same frustration you are!! Thank you so much for your willingness to share all your secrets!! I think this is a pretty open community and when one of us does well, we all are better for it!!

What I have noticed lately is how many emails I get from eBay, Google, Amazon, etc. explaining "how the new way they are calculating our earnings" will be beneficial to all of us in the long run!!

Keep writing!! Keep sharing!! You are valued member of this community!!

Blessings always, Earth Angel Publishing!!

1. Jerrico Usher profile image56
        Jerrico Usherposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Funkster, your pages are highly entertaining and I for one love your work (stands up to applause) but I am saddened to bring you the news that your income passed away late last night from complications, it simply ran out of oxygen.

Unfortunately making money on hubs/adsense sites is not about entertainment value, its about specifics like keywords, audience, content, ads

Your pages are not generating the right ads, nor the right people who would click the ads. It could be as simple as your not saturating your pages with enough SEO tactics to generate the right ads (keywords, and content do this). Just writing a hub and making it ultra cool won't make it earn money, there is much more to it than that (if it were all of my hubs which people tend to love are collectively making me less than a dollar a day)..

I think you have the club scene's way of making money (selling drinks? records? etc..) mixed up with the online version of making money. Online entertainment doesn't generate dollars, cold hard statistics do, its all about the numbers and peoples selfish needs,

It's also a numbers game bro, for every 100 people 1 person is likely to click an ad. This is an optomistic number providing your site is SEO compliant, but even if it is it will take 1,000 hits to get 100 ad clicks and at the prices of most "random" ads that land on our pages being 7 cents- 39 cents (I'm noticing) its going to take 100,000 hits a month to see a few dollars in revenue.

If you want your hubs to generate an income you need to move them more into information (much like your featured hubbers hubs 1 and 2) based dictation with a compromise of adding what your currently putting but taking it out of the realm of DJ Magic Mikeism and into more or less half commentary half focused and "deep" information. In this mix the valued content will saturate for your keywords and generate the ads, your commentary will be there for fun and amusement.

Focus

Your hubs don't focus to one particular thing- ever which to me is exciting, to making money is like taking cianide in the wallet. You will need to pick an artist, focus ONLY on that artists best songs, then generate a back story of the legend of ____x including his videos and legacy information, even put in there things that happened in the news (like ozzy biting the bats head off, how this sparked controversy shooting his fame through the roof).. things like this.

Bottom line your hubs are being written too broadly and too "hip hop energy like" and have practically NO SEO in them whatso ever other than adding that adsense code.

Hope this gives you insight..

Jerrico

oh and ps some advise a wise internet marketer millionaire once told me- adsense sites generate money ONLY when people click ads... if they are reading your site they probably won't click an ad, your site will satisfy their need for information and they have no need to seek elsewhere as you've quenched their thirst. Your very entertaining style begs people to forget to click ads, but to become enthralled in the "free entertainment" of your hubpages, so as you are pleasing the people and your massive traffic stats are going up.. your playing a concert in a huge stadium but not charging for admission, beer, or food... sorry to be the one to tell you but your hubs are giving free concerts bro... and literally talking people OUT of putting money in your pocket.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image68
          Lady Guinevereposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Tell us how to do that then, if you have all the answers....................not just how to write them but what keywords are and how to use them and tags and such.  Please break it up because I can't read long hubs, they tend to bore me and I just skim through them and often times I do miss the good parts becasue of this.
          As for me in the learning--Yes I am learning all about my dyslexic fingers when I type--and I hate it................

...And I don't have all the answers but rude ways of talking like that are why those people who do have the information you need DONT give it to you, diplomacy will get you far, being sarcastically rude will only make people look at you and turn their nose up because they have better things to do than educate someone who thinks they have some god given right to be bestowed upon all the jewels of the heavens UNEARNED..

I have learned quite a bit in my year in this realm, and all though I don't know everything I've had some successes and remarkable insights into why my own things didn't work thus I can see it in other pages as well. I am not arrogantly going to claim to know all the answers, in fact I know probably a morsel of one one millionth of a percent.. but that morsel of knowledge and aquired wisdom will take me farther than someone else knowing the whole one percent and never firing the gun- so to speak.. Make desicisions and pull the trigger, simple as that. Most people don't fail due to lack of information, they fail because they never act.

Ponder that a moment.

Jerrico

2. Lissie profile image75
            Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well should anyone do the work for you to make money? There is heaps of information out there: I've written a couple of hubs that relate directly to making money online but sorry no one is offering you FREE MONEY despite the many ads that promise that LOL. If you want to write for fun that's great hp is good for that, if you want to make money here or elsewhere it takes a shiteload of work !

The true irony is that the people who would ask someone to tell them EVERYTHING won't use the information anyway, they will listen then say hmm thats not what I thought it was going to be, I thought I'd just write a hub and the money would pour in... sigh... I stopped throwing out the good information to just anyone anymore, my last attempt at this will be my site, this way if people want the money, the education, the secrets, the format, the the the, they can get it there, if they don't want it pssst their loss.

Jerrico

2. Jerrico Usher profile image56

Did anyone actually read that? he said "I'll teach anyone how to make the best hubs" then in the same breath he says he's doing it all wrong ".. if they can just explain to me what I'm doing wrong that they don't make any money"...

Yea I want you to teach me to write hubs that are the "best" that don't make any money...what's lesson one?

Then he baffles us with actually eliciting a thread that aquired 90% of the best tips, tricks, even resource site links to doing it, and as soon as the thread dies off he posts another thread asking the same thing...? Not only that but he had an excuse for each tip as to why he will never use any of this advice he solicted for so desperately... Why is nobody going off on him, but you do on me? I'm just curious...

2. DJ Funktual profile image77

Thanks earth angel. 
    It would be so nice though if we got some kind of answer. 
    It is pretty obvious that people are either lying about the money they make OR they know something the rest of us don't.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It would be helpful if you let us know what kind of earnings you've read about, and what your expectations are. 

Several times on these forums, I've seen the statement that most active Hubbers take six months to a year to make their first $100 cheque.   I'm fairly average - I had my first cheque a few months ago, and am $80 towards my next one.   

If that's what you were expecting and you're not getting it, then I'm not sure what the problem is - maybe Hubs about music aren't that popular, although I'd have thought they would be.

If, on the other hand, you were expecting to be earning the kind of money made by Maddie Ruud - then your expectations were unrealistic in the first place.  Look at the Hubs of the high earners and they don't just chat about their interests: they write Hubs that are very targeted towards a product or service.  Their Hubs are written to attract people thinking of buying something - and then persuade them to buy. 

If most of your traffic is coming from your Youtube videos, they're not coming to HubPages to buy, so they are not going to click on ads.  You want search engine traffic if you're going to make money.

What would your readers want to buy?   If it's the kind of music you can't feature on eBay or Amazon, maybe you would be better off starting up your own blog or website, and selling your music from there (PM me if you want some more specific tips)

2. profile image0
      terrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good one DJ.

I said exactly the same thing on another thread and was flamed down by the slammers club.

At least you got away wih it.

1. SweetiePie profile image82
        SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So why would people want to lie?  Just curious.  Maddie has offered some good advice on the other thread about hubs that do well.

1. profile image0

Or - maybe they know something we don't.

Because... they are human? How about ... ATTENTION!

Sweetie Pie, people lie for a plethora of reasons- many on hubpages are for recognition as a hubGod. no offense but don't be nieve as to think people are all honest and would only tell the truth about there earnings... why would people lie... the real question is why wouldn't they.

I made 20,000.00  after my first 5 months- yea....

1. profile image0

Then you will know there is nothing better than a Courier delivered cheque then, it is a nice feeling, is it not?

3. WHoArtNow profile image82
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

I'm kind of new to all this, but is it down to your keywords? I had 1 click a few weeks ago that got me $2.19 (about a quarter of my amassed fortune!!) and I believe it was down to an SEO link that had appeared in the comments!

If your unsure to the current t (rough)value of some of your keywords, check www.spyfu.com out, its pretty cool site.

The other thing is have you checked the $ potential for your hubs? If your not sure where it is, go to your hub and click stats (on the individual hub) and on the right of total is hubmetrics. In there is a series of $, he more you have, the better the potential earnings. (5 being highest, 1 being lowest) Check this, but I fear your hubs maybe low like most of mine.

My latest hub is 4 $ though, and its a request I answered, so maybe go look at some, take a risk and maybe write out of your topic comfort zone!

Great hubs by the way. I'm just getting into some funk! Keep up the great writing.

4. Jerrico Usher profile image56
    Jerrico Usherposted 15 years ago

Lady Guinevere,

and any other Hubbers who are saying the same thing.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I'M BUILDING THE SITE I'M BUILDING that I’ve gotten very little feedback on (other than some negative feedback sheesh)... if your looking for a push button way to build hubs that don't require you to get off your duff and do some work, I’m sorry I can't help you, nothing in life is free, if it were we'd have more millionaire Hubbers than any other site in the world, I’m doing all I can to make my site the apedimy of "how to generate 2,000+ dollars a month on HubPages" if I build the site and no one takes heed, no one uses the advice, no one applies it but me, then here's what we will have in 6 months:

Jerrico Usher's HubPages account is generating 2,000+ dollars a month, his traffic has gone up to record numbers, yaddah

now on to other people who followed the system laid out by Hubbers themselves and his own advice:

*all we hear are crickets, excuses, and more of the same*

What I'm saying with this site is that the information to do this is ALREADY HERE and printed across over 1,000 hubs I'm going to take the hubs. I learned what I know this way!

I find the most potent information and link them into the site to make it easy for anyone to just go there follow the pathway, read the other Hubbers words (not just mine but ALL of them, this is not my system I'm just helping people to find the resources and put the puzzle together as I see it)... that will be my part..

if people get lazy and want to make excuses instead of attempts to do it, that’s not my problem.. All I can do is offer what I can.. Hope this helps.. (p.s. I won't break up my post into several posts.. if my writing is too long for you then I'm sorry, you can copy it into word and break it into chunks if you like smile

Jerrico

p.s.

I can tell you this though, I predict the only way to get anyone to take my concept seriously is to actually do it then promote it, people tend to believe Guru’s not people with ideas, guru’s are those who walked the path and are sharing their experiences not ideas/concepts.. I’m getting impatient though watching so many Hubbers kick themselves in the head trying to make money without following the proven concepts laid out in thousands of hubs.. so hopefully my ploy is not lost. I’m building this site as much to document my own journey as to help others so let’s see how it goes. The site is going to be here:

www.howtobuildamoneymakinghubpage.com

The only page that was written so far (as a test) is:

http://www.howtobuildamoneymakinghubpag … atures.php

(this site does not sell anything, promote anything)

Have a wonderful day all please be sure to go to my last forum thread and add any HubCabulary you know so I can add it to the site to help the newbies..

5. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

DJ if you are getting more visitors but less revenue then either
    a) fewer people are clicking
    b) the clicks are paying less

You can work out which or both, is happening to you ! Clicks value does vary - but I dont see your hubs as particularly seasonal - though I could be wrong on that

If you are getting more visitors from HP and less from search engines that will drop your click rate: hubbers don't click!

Lissie,
      Thank you very much for your simple response that I could understand. 

Jerricho, like the new hubber who doesn't understand the tech language. I found it hard to follow you.  Some of us are writers not techies and some of us never had a webpage or any kind of knowledge about computers to begin with--not talking about myself fully.  I have been on computers, but I missed the boat that you must have gotten on......................

It's J E R R I C O why is it my name is right there in plain english on my avatar spelled correctly and all, and everyone keeps misspelling it? horribly in some cases.. what is Jerricho? Jericho? Geronemo? Jeremy? Generico? Gemco? Geritol? what do I have to do stamp it on your hard drive? A persons name especially if its there real name is the most personal thing to them, get it right! urrrrrg. (and debbie you should know better we work together!!!)

Good grief man, it was one of my usual typos--Jerrico!!! Jerrico!!! Ok I think I got my fingers to learn it right! 
          I do most certainly agree with you on the clicks--I thought this hubpages was everyone to help everyone and therefore help everyone----isn't it that way??
          Thank you Jerrico--for bringing that up.  I am afraid though that if any of us made a hub of that information you would be right in the fact that no one would pay attention to that.

Jerrico, Jerrico, Jerrico, now can I re-train my fingers or is it the mind to type correctly-or is it this keyboard on my laptop!!  Yes the keys are closer together, but then again I couldn't really type on a regular one either.----see I failed typing in high schol and in college too because I can type fast but have too many mistakes............................. now it has been some time from colege and I even had a recptionist job, but my typing never improved.  I simply can't type--just like I can't bowl but the rest of my family can....

and they should huh, I find it selfish that hubbers don't click on hubs just knowing what it means to the hubpages they visit, I click just because I know karmatically I'll probably get more clicks (not neccessarily from hubbers, karma doesn't work linearly like that).. besides I see at least one interresting ad on each hub i visit so if I have visited your hub you got a click on me smile can I buy you a click? lol hubtender(bartender) clicks all around!

6. Lissie profile image75

DON'T CLICK ON THE ADS ON MY HUBPAGE ADS JUST TO HELP ME!

All you will do is get my Adsense account baned!  You are NOT helping by clicking on something you have no interest in Its fraud actually because the advertisor is having to pay for the click and getting no benefit!

If you REALLY want to help PM me and ask for my affiliate ID to any clickbank product/eBay or Amazon and I will happily give it to you. Why - because I will get paid ONLY if you buy something from the advertisor and that's a win/win

7. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

Dj buddy calm yourself down. I know now were real because remember when I joined Hubpages, I made a forum saying I got hacked and it was just a scam? Well, I know better now-it isn't a scam, I was just stupid lol. I had the same feelings as you but how could a staff of 6 people make all of Hubpages and all the accounts? It makes no sense. I felt like people weren't real because not a single Hubber will give me there E-mail or Aim accounts or anything! I suggested us all being able to talk together but they shut down the idea saying "it will cause problems". Well, I do not think it would cause problems if you really act like the successful adults we are and not fight with each other. If you got AIM Dj go ahead, go to yahoo.com and make yourself a free E-Mail account, and go to my profile, use the link to my site and read my E-Mail off the site and E-mail it to me. I'm from Massachusetts, I'm relatively close to you and I will prove I'm really here. As for Ad-Sense, that just says people write more hubs then you and somehow get more clicks. That no one can help you with, you need to do that by yourself. I never made too much with Ad Sense but Hubpages is legitimate, it used all those other sites and is even documented on Wikipedia. I know thats not the best example but the traffic counts are true, same with the page views and click rate. Remember like 40% I think of the time people are on your pages Hubpages Google ads are up! So maybe when you get clicks there up and not yours! Remember, just because someones ad sense has high impressions and clicks doesn't mean there from Hubpages! They can be from a large selection of places. Like a blog, there own  website, Hubpages, other writing sites, there friends sites, you know the works. I haven't broken $100 yet so don't worry.

~thranax~

DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Okay.   
      First of all I guess I have to clarify that I was just kidding about the staff being everyone.  How could someone who flirts with Maddie this much really think she's an Indian pervert???
      Don't answer that!

I said it was a movie script and gave you a wink smiley!  It was a joke.

However, I have learned quite a bit on this thread. 

But will I DO SOMETHING ABOUT MYSELF!????   prob'ly not.

I'm getting a partner!  I'm gonna start interviewing nerds and investors ASAP.

I can't even give my best performance when I'm clogged in computer crap.  I already have spent so much time tweaking etc, I feel dragged down.  I don't wanna know what an SEO is I guess. It's not my usual laziness talking either.  I just think two people = double productivity.

I love the free concert analogy Jerrico, thanks. 

P.S. Lissie: I don't really believe it'll take a shiteload of work either.  Just give me a camera, a vid editor and we could do a video a day.  My fans are loony for more.  865 subscribers and I get 20 more everyday without lifting a finger.  I just need a really smart, (preferably rich) person who will see my potential and say "Yeah, stop typing right now!  Here's a camera, do ya thang!" 

I have hundreds of ideas for videos but I have to make the hub to go with the video, ugh.

You ever sit on top of a pile of money tapping at the top bills in deep thought thinking... totally oblivious that your sitting on MONEY? thinking... I wonder how I can generate some money?

this reminds me of harry potter (or was it lord of the rings or the never ending story?) where the guy was sitting on a rock that turned out to be the eyelid of a huge rock monster..

My point is this mr DJ. You have 350+ fans now. Think of it like this. You played around, had a hell of a fun time spinning the record, (put the needle on the record- put the needle on the record- put the needle on the record till the drum beats go like this ((&^()YUYTIYTK) some egyption lyrics...) and now you've build up your arsenal of ready to listen fans...

what to do?

Do you realize that if you were to all of a sudden grow an SEO brain and built I dunno ONE site that was kick ass, suped up to SEO compliance, then went out and juiced it up with digg, stumble etc.. published it that this could be your utopia? You have 350 people who will see it AUTOMATICALLY...

tssshhhh tshhh tshhhh chaaa chaaa chaaa

If you build it "they are already here!"

you getting what I'm driving at? You've built the mob.. Now throw the fu***ing concert bro!

Your fans are highly tuned in, your stats shows they are looking at your sites! I have 350 fans and I'm not even sure if half of them visit my new hubs... your sitting on a gold mine and you can't even see it... build the hubs... the money will follow.. the hardest part is finding traffic.. you have it... just a thought...

Jerrico

p.s. you got a primo spot on my site already.. I used you as an example of a frustrated broke ass hubber... check it out (scroll down... till you see your name funkster): (the site is in terriony at the moment (it will look better as I progress lol) when this site gets plugged into the matrix in about 6 months it will send your hubpages acct. serious link juice.. this is my gift to you for helping me with the forum reinstatement smile

http://www.howtobuildamoneymakinghubpage.com/index.php

8. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

What a real stats? This is my Hubpage Traffic for right now, taken 5 mins ago.
    http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa304/thranax/hubsee.gif

See the 30 day mark? Its 110 random people and 185 Hubbers. The Hubbers don't click. That left 110 people who could click the whole 30 days! Now do the 4\10 goes to Hubpages thing. 44 of the people saw there ads! That left 66 people in the last month who had the "chance of" clicking for the whole month. It really didn't add up to be much (all I'm disclosing).

The people who have a TON more Hubs that are SEO top on page results, hot topics like Webkinz or Neopets or something similar are all getting more then a normal hub. No one is making any fraud, no one is duping you or me.

~thranax~

Good Night

9. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

Dude, the only thing I know is, the only hubs I have written that get traffic after the honeymoon period of when they are released are the ones that get search traffic -- basically, all the hubs I've written that aren't funny, ranting or sarcastic.  Bottom line, if you want to make money, you have to write stuff people are looking to find out when they fire up a search engine.  You're like me, mostly having fun.  Fun = broke but happy.  Be content, at least you provide diversion for people who need your kind of levity.  That's worth something too.  Just start working in some "boring" hubs too (check my Bachelor's Degree hub or my Hairstyles of the British Courts, they do great on searches, but ain't funny).  Like, "How to Teach Yourself to Mix"  or "Five Ways to Market Your Demo CD"... know what I mean?

I was content until the economy dried up and parties/DJs became an expense few can afford!
      I tried marketing These Funk Box Sets and even that was just too much.

jerrico's single artist focus thing is okay but it seems like every artist already has a shrine to them by 17 people.  I could inform and sell the artist's music that way.  Hmm.

10. Shadesbreath profile image77

I still think you must know stuff about being a DJ that will search.  I think you might be looking too wide rather than deep.

Here's an example of what I'm getting at.  I mentioned that Bachelor's Degree spelling hub I have.  It's first on search engines like any number of ways you type in about spelling "bachelor's degree." 

Ok, the hub itself if too boring to read for anyone not actually worried about how to spell that on their résumé, BUT, look how super mega minute the focus is.  It's not a hub on spelling in general.  It's not a hub on college, or English major or anything... it's literally focused on how to spell and use ONE particular term: "bachelor's degree."

I have a hub doing well on the difference between "bad rap" and "bad wrap."  It's the same thing.  I'm not talking about grammar large or anything.  Just one, singular phrase out of all language.  That one gets great search traffic.

So my point is, I'm an English guy, so I know little, lame stuff like that.  You're a DJ.  You know lots of tiny, minute details about DJ stuff.  Write THOSE hubs.  I don't know DJ'ing so I can't guess close enough.. but there has to be stuff that is very, very specific and focused close to what you do.  Like, microphone techniques... or "older couples weddings don't like you to scratch".... or... "The Hokey Pokey is out."    I mean, seriously, there's probably a button or lever on some of the equipment you use, like just one of them out of the whole thing, that people don't really understand.  Write a hub on that, on "How to use the XYZ button on your Panasonic 372R."

I hope this makes sense.  It's about focus I think.  Focusing deeply, not wide.
    Do that, PLUS use SEO terms for it, and you'll make bank.

now that is also very good advice thanks.   That's how I got huge on Youtube because everyone is into samples these days and I came along and shined a bright light on it.  (It used to be very taboo to reveal a sample.)

My next HUGE HUB / VIDEO Series will focus specifically on B-Boy Funk.  READ:  Funk Songs that B-Boys love to dance to.  B-Boying is a form of breakdancing. 

Shades: Are you saying that "The Freshest B-Boy Funk Records Ever" is NOT a good title and that I should title it "B-Boy Funk" and use those other words as tags.?? or is it just focusing on showing all the B-Boy's which songs they need and where to buy them?

if your trying to make money with your hub the title should have keywords that will bring the ads

2. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
      Ryan Hupferposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Amazing advice...he has some really good points here, DJ. I think that one of the problems is that you are focusing on being really entertaining to the masses, when in fact the entertainment niche is the most over saturated and non-monetizeable out there right now. So, instead of focusing on entertaining people with your Hubs 100% of the time, maybe try to focus on the things that Shadesbreath mentioned above. Things that are more informative and helpful, as opposed to entertaining and funny.

Of course, these aren't the most fun things to write, but a lot of times I actually enjoy writing them and knowing that I'm helping other people figure out things that I had to piece together myself. Know what I mean?

For example, my Hub on Tethering a Verizon Blackberry to a Mac, which you probably could care less about, but over 100 people a week are finding my Hub from Google. Now, imagine if you had about 50 of these bad boys goin' at once - then you'd be seeing some ca$h roll in.

The goal is to find something that is needed, but write it in a way that is informative, yet still a fun and easy read. It takes a whole different mindset, but you can do it bruthu!

11. Shadesbreath profile image77

I doubt they lie.. and if they do lie, they have self esteem issues, so why bother routing them out?  Let them have an Internet fantasy of success.

I'd like to interject a reason they would lie (not to hurt anyone).. people generally are in need of recognition, its one of the ten human needs, but sometimes people will tell a white lie because they know the community will praise them "good job!" "wow that's really cool" etc... and they know that with this praise behind them they may have the will and ambition to acutally make the event happen. It's reverse ambition, and for some it actually works to motivate them. It's essentially trying out the cause effect relationship by making up the cause (because noone can actually prove it, or those who can won't due to privacy concerns) to see the effect.

When the effect feels so good (reinforcing that they really want to reach this zenith of success because other than money, praise and recognition is inevitable) it motivates them to not only reach that point (they know to get "new" praise they have to surpass the original marker of their success).

Some people use this as a subconcious others a concious strategy, some people just flat out lie, steal the praise unearned (and having no plans to earn it later) we call these types liars.. of course technically the first type are liars too but in my eyes if they eventually come through then they were just innovators smile

an interresting psychological trick I notice many use.. hell I did it my self when I was young and unambitious- because it worked to motivate me.. these days it feels stupid to do it.. but I see it all the time. I can tell when people are full of sh** though (meaning they have no intentions of earning the praise they stole).

Just my two and a half cents.

Jerrico

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So... they have self esteem issues.  lol

1. SamurWriter profile image56
          SamurWriterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Basically. I was explaining it for the rest of the class smile

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
            Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Forget ebooks.  "How to hub" classes, and one-on-one private tutoring sessions.  Now there's a moneymaker.  wink

Thats the goal of my site- FREE I'll get paid from adsense revenue and affiliate sign ups.. its a brilliant plan because it makes me want to boost new authors who sign up through my link because their success becomes mine smile

12. DJ Funktual profile image77

People (not Maddie) would lie so you'll buy their ebook or join their website, etc.  I wasn't calling out any particular names anyway so...like Shady says, "Let them have their fantasy"

13. Shadesbreath profile image77

I don't know anything about B-Boy Funk per se, but you need to shift your mindset for a second when you name it.

Put yourself in the shoes of some person who loves B-Boy Funk and is just learning about being a DJ or playing records or running a party etc... (please forgive my ignorance).  But, you have to think like someone who DOESN'T know what you do, but wants to.

What would that person ask about B-Boy Funk if they were typing into a search engine?

I think some of your titles are catchy and clever, they sound like a DJ, you have flair and stage presence when you name your hubs.  However, that's not what young, aspiring DJ's are searching for on Google.  To find you, they have to be as clever as you, and, frankly, that's going to be tough.  You need to step away from yourself and think what people would ASK you if they had you standing there to give advice.  That is what should be the beginning of your title formation and your key word search.

Get help on keyword searching tools from someone like Misha or Eric on how to fine tune this part, but I think this is kind of what you need to be looking at.

14. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

DJ -

Here is an idea:

Ignore all the hype going on and do this:

Build yourself a collection of hubs entitled "Best mixing desks for a professional DJ"
    plus other pieces of equipment that DJs use:Amps, speakers, headphones, cables, whatever.

Do some really cheap things like switches and speaker wire so that the quantity of things you sell brings you up to the higher commission rates at amazon.

Review each piece of equipment and give recommendations as to which one to buy and which ones to avoid.

Add an Amazon or ebay capsule with one item in underneath each review.

Promote the hell out of them and ask everyone you know with a website outside of hubpages to add links to them.

I will certainly add a link on at least ten other sites.

This is an example of the type of thing I am talking about:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Five-Best-iPhon … h-headsets

I cam almost guarantee that you will be making money from them within three months - if you do some promo work on them smile

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
      Ryan Hupferposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mark is definitely preaching the truth...

Exhibit A:

http://hubpages.com/u/578280_f520.jpg

That's brilliant mark. This hits the nail on the head DJ, someone wanting to do what you do will need equipment and there are plenty of green DJ's out there who have no clue where to get things, what to get, how to set up there business, how to get gigs, you could start writing hubs that show these newbies how to get into the industry.. this is in demand.. in some hubs sell furniture/equipment in others show them how to use it, then also sell it... you need to move away from all entertainment and bring a compromise of entertainment with real information (as I said in my original post here) the real information here is just that- teach them how to get going, what to use, how to lay down gigs, how to mix.. there are a thousand hubs just waiting to be built, but be FOCUSED so the ads come, and use eBay and Amazon, the hubs that make the real $$$ are ones that do like Maddie Ruud's do sell something.

as far as focus, spend a hub on JUST the recording equipment, another on JUST networking equipment, another on JUST getting gigs, another on JUST ... I think you get the picture, you can lace in touching on other things like "jimmy used this equipment" etc.. in there and threow in a video showing the equipment in use to really stimulate them to want it.. when talking about a sony widget use "sony widget" 3% of the words in the page, thats about 10 times for every 500 words.. this will draw ads on "sony widget"

Jerrico

15. kerryg profile image85
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

I was going to suggest something similar to Mark, but since he provided more specifics than I would have, and also has the earnings to back up his advice, I'm just going to second what he says.

On the issue of things like band profiles to sell albums, memorabilia,etc., your knowledge is deeper and your writing style more fun than 95%+ of everyone out there, so I don't think the competition would be as hard as you might think, especially if you start with slightly more obscure bands. They also don't necessarily have to be bands you like. Maddie's famous Wu Yi Tea hub is basically one long explanation of why it's a scam and it still makes her a nice wad of money, I hear.

May I suggest you get an actual website going DJ? off hubpages and you could funnel ALL of your traffic to the page. You can't put a link to your site in every hub without breaking tos but a trick you CAN use is put the link in your profile and in every hub refer them to check out your site then put a link to your profile in the hub and tell them the link is at the top of the profile page (neat trick I just made up right now- nice)... in this light your off hubpage can have adsense on it as well and link to all your hubs as well. You could have afflilate links to all the possible equipment sold in DJ-ing, albums, etc. etc. etc..

It's not necessary to have a separate website to make money through HubPages.  In fact, part of the beauty of HubPages is that you do not need to maintain a website or do any coding in order to succeed.

Well, not only do I not condone using "tricks" to get around our rules, I don't think this "trcik" would be that effective.  Every click your visitor has to make is another chance you're going to lose them.  The number of people who will actually click the link to your profile, then click the link in your profile, and then click an ad on your site, is very unlikely.  It's more likely that someone clicks an ad on your hub itself, so I think it's smarter and more effective to write hubs that will have appealing ads, and attract an audience likely to click on those ads.

That makes sense... just tossing ideas up.. I wasn't neccessarily trying to use tricks to "get around" your rules.. so much as I was offering a solution that wouldn't break tos.. I wouldn't put it in the forum if I was trying to be decietful Maddie... I figured the rule of not promoting a site specifically through each hub was there more for spam infiltration than anything else and by putting the link to a site on your profile this narrows the chances of someone trying to spam out.

As for not needing a site to generate money on HubPages thats absolutely right, but it doesn't hurt, I can't make the money I want to make with hubpages alone personally, although I'm also not counting on hubpages traffic to populate those sites either, again just throwing valid ideas up.. didn't mean to step on any toes in corporate office...

Jerrico

Ha, Jerrico, don't you worry.  My toes are extremely sturdy, and they're doing just fine.  And of course I don't think you're trying to spam us, or encourage other people to do so.  I'm not meaning to shut you down, just contributing some extra information, a different perspective.

lol, I think you took my explanation wrong lol, I wasn't implying anyone was trying to spam anyone just that "spam" was probably the reason for not allowing people to link several hubs back to a single site thus by putting a link on your profile this is a move a spammer would less likely try, thus a work around (not a trick to break tos rules smile

But glad your toes are sturdy...sometimes I'm talking on the phone and leaning back in my chair toes end up under the bottom of the chair and when I fall back forward (&%*&%&^$** ouch.

I need adsense help... I sent an email in to team hubpages.. waiting to hear back smile

Jerrico

Actually, you just can't do any further damage to my toes than has already been done.  My feet look like they've been through the blender.  Two words: field hockey.

Sorry, must have been on my way home from the office when you sent it.  Just saw this, went and checked, and shot you an email back.

Your a peach.. problem is not solved but I appreciate the email.. guess I'll have to hope we can do this when you get back tomorrow.. no big hurry, I need to populate this account with all my hubs.. I wrote 8 hubs for a client who wanted to promote his adsense sites (I got 10.00 a pop to write them)  and he's since sold the sites and doesn't need the hubs anymore so he's letting me take them back whoohoo! the womens sweater one was one I got attached to because its goooooooood..  anyway I'd like to get my adsense on here asap but I can wait till tomorrow if your off. Enjoy your night. Your an asset to the hubpages team... when I come down to the office some time soon, you'll have to tell me all about your hockey games smile

Jerrico

16. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

I was thinking about this more after I watched the Sharks DOMINATE Columbus last night.  (I need time after hockey games to wind down, or I can't sleep a wink.)

And I came up with exactly the same thing Mark spelled out above: Write a series on DJ equipment.  Focus on one product or a comparison between two products for each hub (so, shorter than your normal ones), what it's for, how it's used, and add Ebay/Amazon capsules with the products themselves in 'em.

Another quick thought: You can add your RSS feed <http://hubpages.com/author/DJ+Funktual/latest/?rss> to your Facebook (go to "my notes" under applications, then click "import a blog" under Notes Settings on the righthand side of your screen) and it will automatically import your latest hub title and post an clickable entry in your mini-feed announcing it.  That way all your Facebook friends will be the first to know when you've published something new.

I did what you said, but Notes Settings has no place that says, "Import a Blog"

It says this.
      Allow Notes to publish one-line stories automatically, but prompt me for larger stories.Never publish any stories from Notes.Allow Notes to publish specific story sizes automatically without prompting.

???   I tried I really tried...wah!

oh wait!

Not under the Applications settings.  If you actually GO to the application called "My Notes" and look on the bar running down the righthand side of your screen, there's a place in bold where it says "My Notes Settings" and that is where you should look for the link to import a blog.

Got it.  You are good, you!

17. ripplemaker profile image76
    ripplemakerposted 15 years ago

I'm learning a lot reading all these helpful comments.  It makes a lot of sense.  smile

Me too.  Thanks everyone.
      I was out all day with Paula Sunshine b/c today is 2-year wedding anniversary!
      I do appreciate all this help.  Mark has gone over this equipment idea with me b4.  Did I listen?

I'm gonna be finishing a few more half-done projects (Incredible Movies List) and then my expansion into world domination /salesmanship and whatever the hell SEO and RSS, etc will commence.

18. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

Just to clarify - there are certainly people who lie about their HubPages earnings to sell an e-book or to get referrals - but I haven't seen them around here.   

You'll certainly find people making silly claims on other sites - but as you know, you'll find people telling lies about all kinds of other "money-making" opportunities too.   Anyone researching on HubPages itself will find only very moderate claims - the "Help" actually says:

"We consider the program to be a nice bonus, but it should not be the main reason why you participate in HubPages. There are revenue generating opportunities with HubPages, but we are careful not to over-promise any results."

...and I've never seen anyone giving inflated promises on the forums, either. 

I agree with Mark and Shadesbreath, though - at the moment you write about artists, so if your readers are going to buy anything it will be DVD's or CD's by that artist - not exactly big earners.   Write about equipment and you stand a chance of getting clicks for something more valuable.

I agree, everyone on here besides the spammers seems very legitimate when they discuss their adsense payouts.  I have made minimum adsense payouts ever month, but it is nothing to write home about and I would not quit my day job over it.  Talking to my friend at work who was a realtor (they work on a contractual payments similar to adsense), she says a good chunk of these payments needs to be set aside for tax purposes here in the US, so that further divides the amount one actually gets to keep.  As it says in the HubPages help section adsense is a nice bonus and not a full time income.  I am sure there are people out there who can make enough to live of their adsense earnings, but I am surely not one of them.  Really the tiny bit I earn from adsense is nothing to lie or even brag about, especially when in the first place I was only positive when I was sharing this.  I feel a little sorry for anyone who would assume someone is lying just because a hubber says they make adsense payouts.

19. Marisa Wright profile image86

Jerrico, please do us all a favour and stick to one identity when you're on the forums - having you post as two people is making my head spin!

sorry Marissa no can do.. I have to be active on both accounts to get my hub score up... but I'm only posting under different accounts right now in the same day, because I'm transplanting 8 hubs from another hubpage account (its like heart surgery lol).. the guy who paid me to write them for him gave them back (he was done using them to promote his sites, thus he sold the sites and I get my work back yayy) so I have to open the hubs chest and do alittle operation on capsules to get all the blocks of my hub transfered as I wrote them originally... its a process but once I get this done I will be less likely to forum post under more than one account per day.. I hope this is ok (tis the best I can do for ya)..

Jerrico

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have no problem with that, provided you keep your identities apart.  Apart from being confusing, it's downright misleading to post on the same thread talking to yourself and even quoting your alter ego!   Artifically creating a dialogue like that IS spamming, in my book.

I didn't try to hide my identity marissa, you should give me kudos for that.. I'm not using two accounts to be sly or anything, just for test marketing of SEO tactics, and other whatnots... maybe however if I'd just pretended to be someone other than myself your head would stop spinning? lol my appologies... When I post its usually spontaneouse and I'm not thinking about what account I'm logged in under..

2. SamurWriter profile image56

I think your head IS spinning, I'm simply conversating with others (not my alter hub personality?) I'm in no way doing anything but being guilty of changing accounts (because I'm transplanting hubs nothing more) and forgetting to switch back before checking the forum.

You have to realize I multitask like most people breathe, I'm not intentionally holding "two" conversations I'm just not staying in one account, I've broken no laws mental, spam, or otherwise, thats in your head.. the thing is you just can't keep up smile I'm offended that you are making assumptions or accusations about my intentions when I'm clearly stating who I am, notice I sign my posts ALWAYS as "Jerrico" so take your rediculous banter to someone who's actually trying to decieve... thats not cool.

I cannot help myself and I'm sure I shall be spat upon by the... well... by whatever powers do the spatting upon at hubpages, but...

Ridiculous as a rant

My pet peeve is when people spell weird as wierd.  That one is just funny!

1. Marian Swift profile image60
                Marian Swiftposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mine is misplaced apostrophe's.

Both of your's are wierd.

20. Lissie profile image75

Agreed Marisa! Jerico you are shooting yourself in the foot - newer people don't know your new ID and saying PM me I have an op in another thread with a new ID just looks like a spammer!  And you are exposing your niches to the rest of us!

no I'm not, and I don't need people to validate who or what I am, I'm not a spammer, I'm just working on my two accounts on and off but am checking the forum for answers to my questions... people need to stop being judgemental and get on with their life... I'm not affected by them.. my friends know who I am.. thats all that counts really..

as for niches, these hubs are not my nitches.. I told you that will be a hidden account smile

21. Marisa Wright profile image86

DJ, there are a couple of Applications that allow you to import an RSS feed.  I'm at work  so can't check Facebook to let you know what it is right now.

You have the same problem so many of us have - the psychological tug-of-war between writing what you enjoy and writing what will make money.   If you're not ready to write about equipment, why not write about how to be a DJ, and mention the equipment as part of that?  You might find that easier.

Another important point - you're not the first blogger to discover that a loyal readership and sales are two completely different things.  I have 420 fans but I'm willing to bet none of them has ever bought anything through one of my Hubs.  Fans come to enjoy your writing, not to buy stuff!   

What you want is search engine traffic - you don't really care whether they come back or not, just so long as they click on an ad.

22. Marisa Wright profile image86

Jerrico, I'm referring to another thread where you didn't directly quote yourself - but you do quote other people quoting you as Jerrico, then replied as Samur.  It may be unintentional but if you read it, it does appear misleading for someone who doesn't realise you are one and the same person.  And could be interpreted as spammy by someone who does! 

I know you are good at multi-tasking - that's why I want to point this out to you, because you go at such breakneck speed, you don't always realise the impression you're making on other people.

23. DJ Funktual profile image77

So now you're asking people to bash me.   (sigh)
    You sure are grateful to me for getting you reinstated.
    I'm sure people are going to respect you now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)