Why can theists not accept Evolution

Jump to Last Post 51-96 of 96 discussions (946 posts)
  1. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

@TFScientist. I'm a theist and I accept evolution. Easy. God created the universe -- space-time and energy-mass. And then "He" rested. We're living in that day of rest -- all 13.7 billion years of it. Holding only to this is a "deist's" viewpoint, but there's more.

Beyond the Deist's Viewpoint

God can also act as He did for the children of Israel and for Yehoshua of Nazareth. He acted for others, allowing miracles to happen even unto modern times. I have witnessed several of these myself.

Science and Creation

Scientists study the fruits of creation. The realm of science is one of continuity (relatedness and commensurability). Without this, there would be no predictability -- no consistent laboratory results. That comes from the persistence vector of creation, borne out of God's "resting" (what the Buddhists described as "allowing").

Evolution is a pretty cool mechanism. To go from Pre-Cambrian life forms to those which eventually crawled up onto the shores of that ancient super continent is a work of art. A self-perpetuating, morphing work of art.

The Real Purpose of Civilization

But God has lost some of His children. They have fallen into a dark well and can't easily get out on their own. They think they are the vehicles they are driving, but God cares little about these flesh-and-blood things. His children look like Him -- formless, timeless, spaceless sources of creation.

The only way to return is to give up the twisted, false self and source of all evil -- ego. So, many of us think we are bodies and think we are the false, ego-self.

Evolution is cool, but spiritual reawakening is far cooler. And I've only gotten a taste of it, so far.

The real tragedy is that so many of the children who have fallen into this well of physical darkness have forgotten who they really are and don't want to leave the darkness. They've even murdered some of those who came to rescue them and to ridicule those who seek to return to the light of spiritual awareness.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ialso accept that this is the seventh day...but it's almost the eigth. I stand upon the division within, and have chained the dragon. The Holy Grail is cool. Even cooler than evolution!smile

2. TFScientist profile image76
      TFScientistposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@lone77star: Thanks for trying to bring the thread back to topic, but I feel we are fighting a losing battle here! I myself am agnostic, but find your particularly deistic 'brand' quite interesting! Thank you very much for sharing

3. profile image0
      Jesshubpagesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Spiritual awakening is not what the lost needs but spiritual regeneration by the Spirit of God. If the lost are not dead, they just need awakening, however they are spiritually dead and therefore they need life that the Spirit of God can give in Christ who gives His life for them to have life.

2. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

We already have created completely new organisms. but can we plant a single cell, designed to divide, and then transform into every form of life on the planet, and then, having done so, find a suitable planet for the implantation, and then, having acheived that, make sure that our own species would arise to become master of that world? It's possible.smile

3. TFScientist profile image76
    TFScientistposted 12 years ago

This thread really has evolved a life of its own.

I am loving the irony.

Gotta love it!

Good case for intelligent design....evolve.

2. profile image0
      ecoethicalveganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was, dun da dun dun! CREATED by IDers, NOT evolution. (manmade, not supernatural)

ahem...BOTH

NASA calls it terraforming. At least that is the basis for the entire concept. Imagine a civilization one billion years older than...life on earth.  How would they do it?

1. profile image0

I don't know, but let's call em (NASA) G*d coz they can create terraforms that can spur evolution, and maybe the Martians can erect rocket shape houses of praise and make lots of American dollars! OR we could call it ID.

2. profile image0

are you saying that I am part of a pantheon, koooool

Close enough. at least you didn't slam the door!smile

4. Druid Dude profile image60

Like I said before...if everything here started from a single cell, then, it was named man. Jesus can't save your soul...only you can, for inside of you is the rock so heavy God can't move it. To deny it's there is illogical. It exists in everyone. Close your heart, close your mind and the rock gets heavier. Allow someone else to affect you negatively, and it gets heavier.

5. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

Lol,no wasn't insulted, but thanks for the explanation all the same.

WIT (noun)
      The noun WIT has 3 senses:

1. a message whose ingenuity or verbal skill or incongruity has the power to evoke laughter
    2. mental ability
    3. a witty amusing person who makes jokes

Yep, Im busted ,but in the great scheme of things 2 outta 3 ain't bad.

(Least Meatloaf agrees with me) hehe

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your 'humility' is duly noted. smile

Basically what I'm saying is this: If you aren't  a genius, then you have to accept what the genius tells you...on faith alone.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
          Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Um no, because if one accepts that they personally dont know 'everything' or even close(which I do) that does not automatically mean the next guy (whoeever it is ) knows more or has the key to some magical mystery.

We are all chains in a link smile Some weak, some strong.

2. Dannytaylor02 profile image70
          Dannytaylor02posted 12 years agoin reply to this

many greek philosophers were geniuses but what they believed was still wrong....such as the sphere theory tongue

6. chuckbl profile image69
    chuckblposted 12 years ago

I would argue that most theists these days who have an education and their own beliefs do accept evolution. As you say, there is nothing anti-religious about evolution. There are always those who are I'll educated and blind who follow anything like sheep but I don't think the represent the most part of religious congregations.

7. Druid Dude profile image60

We are the dust of the cosmos, as is the planet. Remove the water, and we fall to dust again. Everything is perfect. Mathmatics agrees. Everything is predictable. Mathematics agrees. The time we have is set. Was before we got here. From the moment of inception to the moment of exit, and everything in between. All of these things have been said before. Nothing I say is new. In this day, here...now, I wonder why it is that these supposed followers of Jesus are so firmly on the right, when it is obvious that Jesus was firmly on the left. You are right when you say that judgement day is every day, and it should be that we, individually, should be our own harshest judges. It is separation from this ideal which has brought us to the bloody time in which we live, but every journey requires every single step. There is no separation of consciousness on the "other side" Everything is energy and knows nothing of this place we are existing. And this from someone who some think is a rabid christian dupe. I assure you. That is incorrect.

8. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 12 years ago

Again, evolution is depicted as solely a 'scientific' operation or observance.
    Sadly, this is grossly misleading, by that religion.

Eight volute form a helix, if anyone remembers there geo metrics.
    To volute means to suspend in a spiral form -like coning outward or inward.
    The Evolute is the locus of a curve. Ironically, it also applies to the point where the earth curves, the bend of the helix in DNA strands, and why computation in 3D is possible.

Evolution is simply 'going the curve', up or down, the volute and measuring (evolute) the locus. I had forgotten about it for years, until my writing brought me back to it recently -unleashing a torrent of cool visuals that imply a genetic map of the universe which include semiotics and even something that resembles language that makes up the entire thing.

Stating the 'bible' is always misinformed is also incorrect. Like any text book, the information and just that information. For example, were I to say or 'prove' my work, it would in fact line up with several documents -including the canonical text- that says, All the worlds are framed (and sustained) by the words (breath) of Creator.

Stating nature is evolving is redundant. lol!
    It is ever increasing outward and ever decreasing inward. Nature is breathing. Making it perfectly balanced. But it does not mean all things in nature will change or do, no matter how 'much 'time' is applied.

Although many disagree, to defend their religion(s) of equation or sensation, I am of the mind to say humanity is 'going the curve' of eternal living. Unfortunately, many are too dormant or busy measuring the curve to see, appreciate, engage, enjoy, expound and ultimately evolve into that being.

In short, evolution is inevitable and it is also inevitable, many humans will not reach that locus (place, stage) because their locus coeruleus is getting in the way.

James.

1. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In order for complex organisms to be made up of billions of one celled organisms, there has to be some form of communication. I'm pretty sure, just in my own mind, that atoms communicate as well. We see each other on certain wavelengths, who is to say that all of nature doesn't do the same? We call other creatures lower, how can we be sure we're really on top? Fungus and bugs tend to and seem to be the dominant species.

1. jacharless profile image74
        jacharlessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Indeed.
        It appears the universe is one massive collective of 'words'.
        The speed of communication is amazing and the 'fact' that those words never miss a beat is even more amazing.

Interesting how 'technology' finally settled the issue of light pushing-pulling 'information'. Some call it a current or circuit. In essence in-out, breathing.

volume. volute. evolute. re-volute . evolution . revolution. etc etc etc.

The human brain words identically. The Locus Coeruleus is said to have a blueish hue, due to the massive scattering of light, like pulsating. An internal brain star, perhaps? No doubt.

Stars constantly communicating to other stars, to other objects, planets.
        Many recordings have been made about 'singing sand', 'star songs' and the pitch, frequency of each is unique.

Very frikin` cool stuff.
        It is also one of my arguments in favor of the 'original' human being -v the scientific or sensationalist human. A being thoroughly understanding and communing/communicating with Creator, as a solidified/unified entity of 'heaven-earth'. A stasis that has been placed in dormancy, because there is a lack of communication. It`s also in favor of an argument that humans had/have all information already 'installed' in them and are simply regurgitating fragments. Even more, those fragments are instantly understood by other humans, else no one would understand anything anyone else is communicating. I suppose it could compare to a Babel moment.

And, ironically not is how humans are more conditioned by, obsessed with and determined to design technologies and systems of communication. It is the number one priority of humanity: to get-give information.

James.

9. Captain Redbeard profile image60
    Captain Redbeardposted 12 years ago

I think evolution certainly has a place in creation. Theist or not, you have to admit to evolution, at the very least micro-evolution. Look at all the different races of man, Asain, African, Caucasian, or what have you, it is evident that there is a manipulation in the base of man's DNA that makes us different from each other. You can also see this in virus's, the flu virus is constantly changing however it never evolves into a parasite. It is always a virus.

I am not apposed to evolution, I'm just waiting on a solid piece of evidence to show macroevolution. Somewhere in the biological jungle there has to be a evolutionary jump taking place right now. I would certainly love to see it.

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I suspect that evolution is taking place right, but it would not be evident until one can look back on history from, say, 2-3000 years from now.

You might have read recently that "race" is no longer accepted as a reality.  We humans are in fact all one species, with different physical traits and cultures, but we are all one "race."  (This term I translate as "species."  Does anyone disagree?)

Looking across the world at what we call "racism," is probably a misnomer.  We are really talking about "culturism."

1. Captain Redbeard profile image60
        Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can understand that. It's only in hind sight that we see clearly. However it would seem that somewhere in the vast animal kingdom there would be a change that we would notice wouldn't there?

1. profile image0

Yes, when there is a rapid reproduction rate, through numerous generations, like with the fruit fly, then you would see mutations.  Evolution would be a matter of sorting out the mutations, advantageous over disadvantageous, and keep the best in terms of survival over an extended time frame.

As I understand it, any mutations such as from the nuclear bombs in Japan, where they can map the ongoing effects of radiation damage, will not show up in progeny until after 3 generations at the earliest.  (Arrived at because in most human societies, a couple cannot marry and have offspring until the couple are at least first cousins.) 

Mutations from these explosions would presumably be disadvantageous primarily, and therefore likely to die out or be excluded by human intervention (sterilisation).

I'm not following the second part, are you saying that in order for the evolutionary jump to happen, the compulating couple needs to be of relation to each other?

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You may first want to learn something about evolution before waiting to see if one species "suddenly" emerges from another. lol

As usual friend, you read into what I said.....smile Happy to see you're still the same old you. Consistant as ever! How are things?

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

I was at the hospital all day watching as a woman gave birth to an entirely new species. lol

lol Yes I heard about that, Batboy's a father now right?

Did you see the Southpark one where they had Al Gore chasing ManBearPig?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqasecwLZXA

No, I don't like that show. I have a hard time finding the humor in it. I think show New Girl with Zooy Deschanel is funny. That guy Schmit makes me laugh till my stomach hurts. If you haven't seen it, get on Hulu and watch the episode Jess and Julia....I think that was the name of it anyway. Very funny.

2. mischeviousme profile image60

I'm for serial you guys!

10. vector7 profile image60
    vector7posted 12 years ago

Keep talking about your imaginary evolution.

The worlds leading atheist admits there is no plausible beginning to reproducing cells or dna coding in your theory.

Irreducible complexity has broken your theory down to nothing short of a cartoon dreamed up by someone that stated himself it would break down if we found cells to be complex.

You want to tell me how great your science is?

Riddle me this hot shot..

Who PROGRAMMED atoms and infused INFORMATION that's organized and STRUCTURED into molecules to work SYSTEMATICALLY?

Where does information come from?

Intelligence..

You think evolution happens with fast rate reproduction going on?

Think again. I've been seeing the same flies my great grandfather seen in his day and i bet more of them have reproduced than there are stars in the universe since the 1920's...

You people are grasping at straws and have no hope. Intelligence from nothing..

Why don't you try to convince everyone that you 'evolved' your education too and the knowledge in your head..

SURE... no one had to WORK to GAIN KNOWLEDGE to PRODUCE INTELLIGENT TECHNOLOGY SYSTEMS either did they?

You people are a joke.. lol

You study the systems set in place before you got here and then tell everyone they were some accident and organized structure is generated through luck.

Go tell an engineer that spiffy. Put some money down that he doesn't laugh at you too?

roll

Keep making false statements.

lol

1. vector7 profile image60
        vector7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

you only wish

we can tell you know your stuff. look at all that knowledge you laid out.. roll

smile

Oh, I see now. Believers are free to make the most outrageous, irrational, nonsensical and ridiculously laughable claims about the world around us and the expectation is others are supposed to provide knowledge that would refute such magical thinking?

That's like trying to explain Napoleon is dead to someone who fanatically believes they are Napoleon.

lol

point out an error tough stuff.

i won't mind providing the resources for everyone.

smile

2. profile image0
      AKA Winstonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

(Where does information come from?  Intelligence)

vector7,

This is absolutely accurate - information comes from the minds of mankind.   How do I know?  Because information is a concept, a linguistic method to explain an event.  Information is not an object that can be inserted.  It is a description. 

Look at the huge chains of commands in computer language - but those huge chains are built by sequences of nothing more than +/-.  Intelligence puts those 0s and 1s in a certain order to make a predetermined outcome occur - bold text - but when there is no predetermined outcome, then an evolutionary assortment of those same 0s and 1s could easily lead to underlined text instead.

Reification, the magical method of transforming concepts into objects, does not occur in nature, in reality.  Information is not inserted into genes - information is how we explain what genes do.

::ahem::

AKA Winston,

That is a bunch of illogical jibberish. Cite the references. wink

[if you didn't fabricate it all then and there that is] lol

Information is from the minds of mankind??

How about the data inside the nuclear fusion process the sun undergos to produce light and heat?

From your mind too?

lol lol lol

I guess the number of atoms being consistent in every hydrogen atom is a 'concept' as well?

Information is the mapping of already structured materials and their proccesses by means of represented data of said materials and processes.

Is this a joke?

Here, read about data, information, and knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data

So where does information come from class?

smile

1. profile image0

You and I will never know Vector.  Better fall back on your faith, Ol' Chum smile

lol, this isn't even close.

Faith is the cherry on top friend.

Information exists outside mankind, whether they want to admit it or not.

I know because they STUDY the properties already there to OBTAIN it.......

I know already whether you guys do or not.... lol wink

smile

lol

More objective lacking insult postings?

You must enjoy seeing your thumbnail scattered everywhere.

Feel smarter yet?

smile

2. profile image0

(Cite the references)

vector7,

Only authoritarians require citations - the rest of us can use reason and figure it out for ourselves.  The intrinsic property of objects is shape.  If a proposed "thing" does not have this property is not an object, but a concept.

What is the shape of "information"?

Why don't you go find a cite that will show you a picture of "information".  (hint: information has no shape).   Only the devout can claim that a concept can be placed into an object.

11. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years ago

Captain Redbeard, thanks for your prompting question regarding heredity.

This is stuff I learned some time ago in my studies in medical radiography.  I expect there is lots more knowledge in this area now and maybe there will be someone reading this hub who knows more about it.

I will try to explain:  If one person, say a man, gets radiation damage to a chromosome in a spermatozoa, and that sperm goes on to produce a child. The child has then a gene which can be carried on genetically to later generations.  That child grows up, marries and produces two children. The children carry the damaged "recessive" gene.  Recessive, because of the mix of genes from the other parent.  In other words, the recessive gene will not show up as damage in either of these two siblings. 

Now, these two children grow up, marry, have kids.  These kids are first cousins, and legally they can marry and have children.  It's this latest generation in which the recessive genes can show up as dominant, because both parents carry the recessive.
    So: you have original man - child (1st generation) - 2 siblings (2nd generation) - cousins (3rd generation).
    It is not common for 1st cousins to marry.  Much greater chance for later (2nd,4th,5th cousins) to marry.
    In case you wonder what defines the level of cousin-ship:  If you share a common grand-parent you are 1st cousins.  If you share a common great-grand parent, you are 2nd cousins.  If you share a great-great-grand parent, you are 3rd cousins, etc.

After this 3rd generation, mutations caused by the damaged genes would gradually sort themselves out according to whether the mutations were advantageous or not.  It was taught that over a 1000 years this "sorting out" would take place.  For example, if the mutation caused no obvious disadvantage then it would not matter.  However, if a mutation caused a hereditary disadvantage it would result in, e.g., illness and death; lower fertility; deformities leading to physical problems; less attractiveness to a mate, etc.,etc.

In the context of this hub, all this science and the intelligent searching for knowledge, explanation and new understanding is, in my view, part of the unique nature of human existence.

So evolution at a cellular level but dormant until the time when it would become advantageous for it to become dominant?

This evolutionary jump, dormant, could only have a strong chance of happening if the mating couple were of the same blood line?

I am trying to follow you the best I can. Sorry if I completely missed what you were saying.

1. profile image0

Captain Redbeard, what I have written can only be used to gain a little understanding of genetic changes.  I am not qualified to talk on evolution in general.  Hopefully some one will contribute here to give us some more in-depth explanations.

John, I greatly appricate your time in talking with me. It's hard to find people who are willing to speak about these subjects without Angst or Sarcasim. Good day to you sir!

12. artblack01 profile image61
    artblack01posted 12 years ago

Why do I believe in Evolution, because the evidence shows that evolution happened and is happening, this whole micro vs macro evolution is silly, it's seeing the trees and not the forest or seeing how one tree can't make a forest happen.  Why don't we see a species jump?  That has more to do with us then the actual visual seeing of a species jump.  We defined species by specific traits, and we are not likely to see a "new species" because we would first off have to live for hundreds of thousands of years and two have to losely define "species"...  Not to mention those of you against evolution would have to open your minds to the study of it even if you don't believe in it.  We have studied your beliefs, I was raised a Christian in fact.  One thing you are going to be very disappointed in when it comes to evolution is what makes a species that.  We could use the definitions we currently have of what makes each species, see evolution happen and have totally new species but because of our definition we still call them the same thing.  Take Wolves, through selective breeding, similar to natural selection, just on purpose, we can get many different varieties of Dog, Dogs are a human creation, they did not exist before us, but could have in time.  Why did they change?  because of the differences in one wolf to another, how is it that a great dane and a Chihuahua are both dogs and not two different species? ... you can do the same with plants and people use this method still to this day for plants, wine and fruit....  you want a new species?  Blood Oranges, totally new, didn't exist 100 years ago.  Most citric fruit is related but we don't all call them Oranges, some are tangerines, some are limes, lemons....  so many different varieties, some natural some artificial, but all a product of evolution.

Now, when I argue for Evolution I am not arguing against God, in fact that argument has nothing to do with my belief in God.
    If I was a devote worshipper of God I would still believe in the REALITY of Evolution, I could no more dismiss Evolution than I could dismiss that falling 1000000 feet to the ground would definitely kill me if I wasn't wearing a parachute.

Two points here

1. People selectivly breeding is the exact opposite of evolution since evolution is not up to the strongest or the fittest but the most adaptable. It has nothing to do with breeding and then having someone care for you to make sure that you survive, your example is of intelligent design lol Don't mean to laugh but that was a funny, honest, mistake.

2. People fall without parachutes and survive. Doesn't happen often but it does happen.

13. Editor and Chief profile image60
    Editor and Chiefposted 12 years ago

There is no use beating your head against a brick wall. Trying to convince a creationist to believe in evolution, or a scientist in believing in creationism will just give you a headache. I vote for evolution.

1. artblack01 profile image61
      artblack01posted 12 years agoin reply to this

True. I vote reality and that includes evolution.

lol

Except for how the whole thing 'started' right?

The first cell.. nor how irreducible complexity is possible under such changes..

Hmmm.. well - If you have faith though, it could work. wink

lol.... tongue

smile

1. profile image0

Vector7, have your faith, good (god) luck to you.

I do, and my theory is complete and fully formed, without 'missing links' or any of the problems you guys have. Science is GREAT. lol

smile

lol

2. Editor and Chief profile image60
          Editor and Chiefposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If somebody had to start everything because nothing ever starts by itself, then Who made God? God God?

Eternity doesn't work on time principles.

First - I know the denial method so look up Law of conservation of energy first.  Energy is eternal.

Second - If eternity has no end why would eternity have a beginning?

Just because you don't understand the universe doesn't mean it isn't structured and system based. Because it is, but can you explain how on that subject either?

No. But it doesn't mean it isn't true.

It means it's above our current comprehension.

There is such a thing you know.. Beyond your comprehension. wink

smile

1. Editor and Chief profile image60

I think that any version of reality requires at least one assumption, but Vector, you are making two contradictory assumptions. Either things are eternal, or they are not. Energy, God, life who the heck knows? I just assume that things are mostly the way they seem.

Contradictions?

I agree.. and there is no contradiction.

Energy is eternal.

Your body is not.

Energy never stops.

Your body will stop.

Please explain.. I don't think you're quite right friend.

smile

According to Einsteins General theory of relativity matter and energy are the same thing moving at different speeds. If this were not so, then the H-Bomb wouldn't work.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

That makes no sense at all.

3. kerryg profile image85
          kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To claim that we don't know how the first cell formed, therefore it must have been created is a logical fallacy known as an "argument from ignorance." The same goes for structures of supposedly "irreducible complexity."

Additionally, there are several hypotheses about the possible natural mechanisms of abiogenesis and the fact that none of them has yet been proved correct does not mean that none of them will be.

Finally, "irreducible complexity" is not only a logical fallacy, it is also a myth. We have a pretty good understanding for how the eye evolved, for example, and there was nothing "irreducibly complex" about it. (The eye argument also begs the question of why God granted a better designed eye to a bunch of molluscs than to His favored creation.) Furthermore, bacterial flagellum are not nearly as "machine-like" as IC proponents like to claim they are, and blood clotting uses multiple different mechanisms, some simpler, some more complex, even in existing species, let alone in extinct ones. Just to name a few supposed examples of irreducible complexity popular with the ID crowd.

1. profile image0

How was the first cell formed? you know, the one that turned into everything.

lol Good one!

2. kerryg profile image85

Maybe you didn't read my whole post?

I explicitly said that we do not currently know how the first cell formed (abiogenesis). We do, however, have hypotheses, and the fact that none of them has yet been proven correct does not mean that none of them will be. Again, to say that because we don't know how the first cell formed, it must have been created is to commit a logical fallacy.

Here is a link to educate yourself about the current hypotheses about the origin of the first cell: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

1. profile image0

Thanks for that, too, kerryg.  I have not had the time right now to read through the whole of it.

My immediate thoughts are these:  Just contemplate the amount of human intellect, enquiry, research, trial and error, broad-minded in scope yet concentrated in the detail, that all this information has involved.  It's in stark contrast to the narrow-mindedness of the argumentative religious stalwart.

Through research and experiment of course there will be blind alleys; mistakes; despair; recovery and "try again and again and again."  Human endeavour. 

Really good and productive research is never lazy.  It requires a passion and endless energy. 

Let's promote it.

Religion is relegated to the stage for Comedy Hour.

2. profile image0

Just to set the record straight, I did read your whole post

Are you asking that I make a leap of 'faith' in your hypotheses that inorganic matter magically became organic? ... I'm supposed to believe that the 'dead' became 'living'? sounds like religious hokum and I'm not religious smile

There's no 'logical fallacy' or 'non sequitur' in believing that life may have been created. Craig Ventner has been credited with "creating the first cell with a synthetic genome" of course, no one is claiming that he is God, but he did create Oh my GOD! there's that word CREATE again, I know, maybe 'it just happened'?

Oh and thanx for the link about abiogenesis, but I already read about it a coupla times smile

So back to my question, How was the first cell formed? you know, the one that turned into everything. Including all phyla along with all the genera associated within each branch which 'magically appeared during the Cambrian Explosion and then on to, well like I said earlier, everything!

I look forward to the missing links that you hypothesize led to life.
                Maybe another wiki?

You mean, you were actually serious by asking that ridiculous question? lol

1. profile image0

I look forward to you saying something noteworthy, such as 'an argument' that begs a rebuttal. smile

Then you obviously misunderstood it, because otherwise, what is the point of asking a question when I've just said that I don't know the answer? I thought maybe you just didn't know what abiogenesis was, but since you're now claiming you do, your question makes even less sense.

Additionally, I never said that there was a logical fallacy in believing that life may have been created by an intelligent designer, I said there was a logical fallacy in believing that it must have been created by an intelligent designer.

I'm agnostic on the issue myself - we simply don't have enough information to know either way at this point in time. I personally think 3.5 billion years is more than enough time for any number of interesting things to put themselves together and start crawling out of the ooze, but I am also open to the possibility of something more deliberate. Are you open to the possibility of chance?

Consider viruses, for example. They're not alive, but they replicate themselves, evolve and adapt to environmental changes, and more in much the same way living organisms do. They're only a hop and a skip away from being living organisms themselves, so if they could get so close to life by chance, why is it impossible to believe that something else took that extra step and mutated itself a metabolism?

1. profile image0

Excellent kerryg, thanx for straightening that out (1st & 2nd paragraphs) It seems that you're agnostic leaning towards 'chance' at least that's my take from what you're saying and I'm agnostic leaning heavily in favour of ID (no that's not masked as being a 'creationist')

I'm only open to the possibility of 'chance' in the sense that, hold on a second, actually I'm 'not' open to the possibility of chance smile I'm only open to the possibility that abiogenesis was directed, and that all life forms were IDed to be within their own family/phylum/kingdom/class/genera, so I don't accept that one particular cell 'began it all' and that every taxa was/is the evolutionary spin off from that one cell. I don't care if there has been 3.5 billion years since the ooze, it can be another 3.5 billion years and a winged insect or flying fox will never become a bat.

Why does it make a difference to me that I don't believe 'one cell' was the beginning of 'all' life forms? because, I don't believe in those odds, the odds that say every single species that has ever lived, those that became extinct, and every living species alive now 'all' came from a single cell that was chemically altered and zapped. There are way too many fundamental differences between species for me to accept that.

If I plant a garden full of vegetables and fruit, the pumpkins I plant will never become asparagus. A horse that gives birth will never give birth to a cheetah, a volcanic eruption will/has never abiogenetically produced a single cell, a meteorite smashing and exploding into a dna clinic will never give rise to a frankencell.

As hard as mankind tries and has tried, we haven't as yet been able to ratify abiogenesis. When that happens, it will be because we were able to manipulate conditions in such a controlled manner and also then to go on to produce cells capable within themselves to evolve and mutate and become viable and separate phyla, will only be because they were Intelligently designed. It can't happen by chance.

So for me it's not only highly improbable, the 'chances' that every lifeform that ever existed happened because of the ooze is 0 to -0

Oh and talking about 3.5 billion years ago is being too generous, what do we do about the Cambrian explosion, 550 million years ago? when most of kingdom animalia made it's debut (within a 60 to 80 million year time frame) how exactly did all the vastly different species 'happen' all at the same time? chance?

3. Editor and Chief profile image60

How did the first anything form? You would need a time machine to find out. I mean if it logically follows that everything had to be made by something ie the prime mover, then why is God an exception to that logic? If it is conceivable that God is eternal then why is it inconceivable that existence is an eternal process?

1. profile image0

Existence of what? matter?

I'm not claiming that just because something (God) IS eternal that somehow matter is or could be eternal. Those are the parameters you are setting.

So unless I have a time machine I should accept the notion called a 'leap of faith' that 'the dead became the living' and that there was life upon the earth because of  'chance' BUT I Must NOT assume that an IDer may have instigated the event...  why?.... why must I assume chance to be the only player, what are you afraid of?

You can assume whatever you want, but when faced with the reality there is no evidence whatsoever for an "IDer that may have instigated the event" and a mountain of evidence that supports other theories, you are left with a failed assertion.

1. profile image0

Please be more specific, thanx smile

2. Editor and Chief profile image60

The existence of any kind of consciousness.

2. profile image0

I agree Kerry.

If something can be reduced, then it is by definition "complex."  I conversely, something is irreducible then it cannot be complex.

Vector7, I suggest you are so wrapped up in your religious studies and researches, theoretically, that you have no deeper understanding behind the scientific enquiry.

Much of what you write is written from the slant of a born-again, brain-based club-type christian.  You have no comprehension at all.  You have not contemplated the world of Infinity.

4. artblack01 profile image61

As far as how it started, I can't say, I don't know, but I am not going to assign the blame on an imaginary being who is all powerful and all knowing, especially if there is no evidence for the existence of such a being or that such a being was the reason for such an occurrence.  If you don't know how something happened then you study it and find out, that is how science works, not by making up some imaginary being who did it.

Anything other than the search for the answer is called laziness.

Apathy is not laziness, it's ignorance. Both sides are ignorant of eachother's ways, there is no room for equallibrium/ballance... The mind of the individual is stubborn, petty attachments mean everything.

14. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years ago

Captain Redbeard, thank YOU for your kind words.  Sorry I could not be more help in that topic. 

However, I do like to keep my mind open to knew possibilities, because none of us can have the whole picture.  Also, each of us might have a particular slant, or novel way of looking at a subject which can, in turn, cause another person to think "outside the square."  He or she tries it; works on the idea; tweeks it a little, and in time might find the real answer.

I do not reject out of hand some conjecture from the religious frame of mind, just because it IS religious.  For some individuals, the religious aspect can be the most important and helpful (comforting maybe) way of dealing with life.  That is free choice. 

For me, personally, there is lots more interesting stuff in the scientific search, and this has the potential to bring great lift and satisfaction.

Please, keep the "intelligent" and courteous discussions going.

15. artblack01 profile image61
    artblack01posted 12 years ago

That statement is false, I was once a Christian and a believer in God so to say that both sides are ignorant of each others ways is a lie.  My claim to being an atheist came from my questioning of my own belief, not in the blind denial of something I refuse to believe in.  I questioned and looked and it was for me neither apathy nor laziness, I have family who still attack me for not believing, it's an everyday trial.

16. erwing1963 profile image58
    erwing1963posted 12 years ago

Really? These "so-called" christians are actually having this conversation? This conversation shows truly how far christianity has taken a backseat to faith and has allowed the world to infiltrate our true beliefs. First of all YOU DO NOT ACCEPT WHAT ANY MAN TELLS YOU EVER!!!!!! You need to set aside private time and read the bible for yourself and pray and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you into the truth. If anyone of you had the Spirit of God in you there is no possible way that you even begin to believe this garbage. NOTHING written in here has any biblical foundation to it whatsoever. It's tme for revival man. The Church is so corrupt. The Bride is blemished its time to repent

Why does it matter? You have your way, others have their's. Even if we went to the same church, we would still have our own perception of how it works or what it means. In the end, I have my version of God and you have your's. It's called the individual perception, which is all the cause one needs for debate.

2. artblack01 profile image61

I've read the Bible many times, and I often go to it for reference as I would any work of fiction, I think you are a perfect example of why many Christians I feel are out of touch with reality and absolutely refuse to believe anything even if there is evidence all over the place that says so all because it doesn't agree with the Bible.  Why am I no longer a Christian?  Not because I believe what people tell me, otherwise I'd still be a Christian, but what the evidence says.

17. profile image0
    ecoethicalveganposted 12 years ago

[...] so arbitrarily deciding that it must have been ID because you personally can't conceive of any way in which life could have begun by random chance isn't scientific and should claim no pretensions to being so."

Let me see, nope, I don't see where I said that, I mean if you took ID out of your response and replaced it with 'chance' then you could just as easily apply the same logic to 'chance' My choice of selecting ID isn't arbitrary, why would you say that? I have stated why I believe ID to be more probable than an accident, so, no, it wasn't arbitrary.

[...] 3.5 billion years is a very, very long time and we have next to no fossil evidence from that period to tell us what was really going on.

OK so I need a lot of what, 'faith' in accidental abiogenesis? no thanx, I need more evidence, more logos and less pathos.

"Actually, flying foxes are a kind of bat, but I guess you meant the canine type?"

Actually I meant what I meant, show me the lineage, show me how a flying fox, evolved into a bat, show me the evolutionary trail of echolocation from a flying fox to a bat. So what's the point you may ask, the point is bats didn't evolve, they appeared, if you disagree, prove it. If they appeared, how did they do so?

" The concept of the Cambrian explosion is a bit outdated as we've now found pre-Cambrian precursors for some of the things that were once believed to have appeared for the first time in the Cambrian[...]

Name and connect them (evolutionarily) otherwise you're asking me to have 'Faith' and all I can say about a vacuous statement is 'no thanx' unless you can fill in the vacuous area.

[...] I'd also add that the so-called "explosion" wasn't really an explosion on anything approaching a human scale. 80 million years ago, dinosaurs ruled the Earth. 60 million years ago, birds ruled the Earth. To say that things can change a little in that length of time is quite the understatement. wink"

The explosion refers to all phyla abruptly appearing at the same time period (without having evolved over a billion years or so) maybe you misunderstand the concept? show me the connection between the 'precursors' you speak of relative to the 30/40 phylum plus all the sub species that appear during the Cambrian period.

You have too many missing links in too many places for me to accept the notion that abiogenesis was anything but directed. I'd have to have put too much 'faith' in your appeal to natural selection to accept it as probable, I just don't see what you're asking to be seen.

Assumption doesn't make something true.  If you don't have evidence for how something happened, how long it took to happen and only a vague idea of how long it took to happen you cannot fill in the blanks with your notions of divine intervention, the simple fact is all you can say without evidence is "I don't know"  Faith doesn't make something true.  Faith only means you believe it happened that way but without evidence, you can make anything up that you like.  And I see that YOU have.  Assumption.
      Natural Selection and Abiogenesis are two different ideas, please stop getting them confused....  Natural Selection is a proven FACT and abiogenesis is still wholly unknown.

"Let me see, nope, I don't see where I said that, I mean if you took ID out of your response and replaced it with 'chance' then you could just as easily apply the same logic to 'chance'. My choice of selecting ID isn't arbitrary, why would you say that? I have stated why I believe ID to be more probable than an accident, so, no, it wasn't arbitrary."

You said, and I quote, "hold on a second, actually I'm 'not' open to the possibility of chance." It's arbitrary because you're not open to the possibility of being wrong.

"OK so I need a lot of what, 'faith' in accidental abiogenesis? no thanx, I need more evidence, more logos and less pathos."

No. I'm not saying you need to stop believing in a creator. I'm saying you need to stop claiming that belief is scientific in any way. Stating a desire for more "evidence" is pretty ironic under the circumstances.

"Actually I meant what I meant, show me the lineage, show me how a flying fox, evolved into a bat, show me the evolutionary trail of echolocation from a flying fox to a bat. So what's the point you may ask, the point is bats didn't evolve, they appeared, if you disagree, prove it. If they appeared, how did they do so?"

Flying foxes are called that because they're so big, not because they're foxes that learned how to fly. Bats were around for millions of years before anything resembling a canid showed up.

Bat evolution is an interesting case because for a long time they did appear to show up suddenly in the fossil record in more or less modern forms, so there was a lot of debate about how it happened, whether the different orders of bats evolved flight independently or together, whether flight or echolocation came first in microbats (most megabats, including flying foxes, don't have echolocation), and so forth. The latest fossil discoveries suggest that flight came first and evolved only once, and there was an extremely interesting genetic study a few years ago that suggests the evolution of flight in bats may have begun thanks to a single mutation.

Here's an overview of what we currently know: http://www.batconservation.org/drupal/art-bat-evolution

If you want to claim God or whatever caused the mutation to happen, sure, that's your prerogative, but don't claim it's scientific.

"Name and connect them (evolutionarily) otherwise you're asking me to have 'Faith' and all I can say about a vacuous statement is 'no thanx' unless you can fill in the vacuous area. The explosion refers to all phyla abruptly appearing at the same time period (without having evolved over a billion years or so) maybe you misunderstand the concept? show me the connection between the 'precursors' you speak of relative to the 30/40 phylum plus all the sub species that appear during the Cambrian period."

Again, they didn't "abruptly" appear, they appeared spread out over a period of about 80 million years, and how much was genuinely new and how much was simply a more advanced form of something that existed previously is still up for debate.

Pre-Cambrian life was mostly soft-bodied and unlikely to fossilize, but the rare fossils we have found include possible pre-Cambrian precursors to molluscs (Kimberella), echinoderms (Arkarua), and arthropods (Spriggina and Parvancorina). We've also found indirect evidence of other forms of comparatively advanced pre-Cambrian life in the form of things such as the preserved burrows of earthworm-like critters and signs of possible predation on other creatures that can't be explained by any known species of the time.

"You have too many missing links in too many places for me to accept the notion that abiogenesis was anything but directed. I'd have to have put too much 'faith' in your appeal to natural selection to accept it as probable, I just don't see what you're asking to be seen."

Faith in science is a lot easier than faith in some invisible, eternal, omnipotent being that just happened to decide to create life in exactly the manner evolution predicts. Just sayin'.

Once life began, I can't see that there was the slightest necessity for a creator's involvement to produce the diversity of life we see today - all you need is time and chance, and I feel that most creationists acknowledge that in the amount of energy they put into attacking dating methods and misunderstanding the effects of mutations. Somewhere in their heart of hearts they know you can't fight natural selection.

Regarding the origin of life, the most anyone at our current level of knowledge could truthfully say is that a creator might have been necessary or it might have been random chance. Anything more definite (in either direction - chance or creation) is faith, not science.

1. profile image0

You said, and I quote, "hold on a second, actually I'm 'not' open to the possibility of chance." It's arbitrary because you're not open to the possibility of being wrong"

That's because I 'was' open to the probability not just to the possibility and dismissed it as improbable after researching the known facts which are in dire need of more empirical evidence.

"No. I'm not saying you need to stop believing in a creator. I'm saying you need to stop claiming that belief is scientific in any way. Stating a desire for more "evidence" is pretty ironic under the circumstances"

It's actually quite ironic that science is riddled with missing links that are replaced with 'faith and fables' and that hypotheses abound where there are no actual data. Flying foxes have no connection evolutionarily to a bat, I asked you to prove otherwise and instead you gave me a hypothesis/guess, is that how science works? I thought science was about being empirical not a guessing game.

"Again, they didn't "abruptly" appear, they appeared spread out over a period of about 80 million years, and how much was genuinely new and how much was simply a more advanced form of something that existed previously is still up for debate."

I'm still looking for that scientifically sound evidence that so called "more advanced form that existed previously" connection, or are we placing 'faith' in the hypotheses/guess, again, which is 'junk science'

I know about the earthworms, but what are you asserting here " signs of possible predation on other creatures that can't be explained by any known species of the time"

"Faith in science is a lot easier than faith in some invisible, eternal, omnipotent being that just happened to decide to create life in exactly the manner evolution predicts. Just sayin'"

Why? I think it's pretty simple, Faith in some invisible, eternal, omnipotent being that created life is a lot easier than hypothesising/guessing that life happened accidentally especially as there are holes in virtually every stage of evolution. (vast ones at that) so you need to stop suggesting that a hypothesis is science.

"Once life began, I can't see that there was the slightest necessity for a creator's involvement to produce the diversity of life we see today - all you need is time and chance,[...]

Apparently 3.5 billion years isn't enough time to deduce empirical evidence sufficient to 'make the case' there's no 'checkmate' in evolution for the creation of life.

"Regarding the origin of life, the most anyone at our current level of knowledge could truthfully say is that a creator might have been necessary or it might have been random chance. Anything more definite (in either direction - chance or creation) is faith, not science."

I'm certain that's what I have been saying. Being labelled as 'faith based' and 'unscientific' in a belief that we were created is exactly the same for the theory of natural selection, it's based on thousands of assumptions based on more assumptions, in other words you gotta have 'faith' because the lack of science is monumental. There are 'a priori' arguments on both sides

1. kerryg profile image85

"Flying foxes have no connection evolutionarily to a bat, I asked you to prove otherwise and instead you gave me a hypothesis/guess, is that how science works? I thought science was about being empirical not a guessing game."

Are we talking about different species or what? Flying foxes are bats. They're the common name of the Pteropus genus of fruit bats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pteropus

"I'm still looking for that scientifically sound evidence that so called "more advanced form that existed previously" connection, or are we placing 'faith' in the hypotheses/guess, again, which is 'junk science'"

Soft-bodied creatures don't fossilize well, so you could be looking for a very long time. However, the limited collection of fossils we do have suggests that there were pre-Cambrian pre-cursors to at least some of the phyla that were previously believed to appear for the first time in the Cambrian.

Rejecting new evidence out of hand because it doesn't fit into your pre-defined worldview is junk science, not re-evaluating previous hypotheses in the face of new evidence. tongue

"Why? I think it's pretty simple, Faith in some invisible, eternal, omnipotent being that created life is a lot easier than hypothesising/guessing that life happened accidentally especially as there are holes in virtually every stage of evolution. (vast ones at that) so you need to stop suggesting that a hypothesis is science."

Name some. The best you've managed so far is claiming that a common genus of bat isn't really a bat(!), possible pre-Cambrian precursors can't possibly be because the connection hasn't (yet) been 100% proven, and we don't know how the first cell formed, so God dunnit. The first one is just weird and the others are based in faith, not science.

"I'm certain that's what I have been saying. Being labelled as 'faith based' and 'unscientific' in a belief that we were created is exactly the same for the theory of natural selection, it's based on thousands of assumptions based on more assumptions, in other words you gotta have 'faith' because the lack of science is monumental. There are 'a priori' arguments on both sides"

Nope. To claim that you know the mechanism of abiogenesis, as you've done, is faith-based at our current level of knowledge. Natural selection is observable fact at the level of microevolution, and one of the best supported theories ever proposed at the level of macroevolution. People have been trying to disprove it for more than 150 years and none has yet succeeded, while the evidence supporting it grows ever stronger.

18. profile image0
    ecoethicalveganposted 12 years ago

Thank you, I know what a flying fox is, however it has been suggested (not by you) that bats that utilize echolocation descended from flying fox like creatures, shrews, and even insects, what I'm asking is 'show me the money' show me the missing links, show me the skeletal remains, show me the DNA mutations, show me how natural selection, selected the steps that led to echolocation in bats, show me something.

"Soft-bodied creatures don't fossilize well, so you could be looking for a very long time. However, the limited collection of fossils we do have suggests that there were pre-Cambrian pre-cursors to at least some of the phyla that were previously believed to appear for the first time in the Cambrian"

If there are 'limited precursors'  then it shouldn't be difficult to name them, please name them as I'd like to check em out.

" Nope. To claim that you know the mechanism of abiogenesis, as you've done, is faith-based at our current level of knowledge. Natural selection is observable fact at the level of microevolution, and one of the best supported theories ever proposed at the level of macroevolution. People have been trying to disprove it for more than 150 years and none has yet succeeded, while the evidence supporting it grows ever stronger"

Really?

How about homo sapiens, we have had 'Java' man  'Piltdown' man  'lucy'  'keyanthropus' (that has recently booted lucy out), so which one is it. Where are the remains/bones that connect apes to humans. There should be tens of thousands of transitional skeletal remains to prove that humans descended from apes, show them to me.   

How about sharks, where is proof of their evolution? from what I understand they haven't changed, yes there are different species, however the ones that aren't extinct don't have 'precursors' do they?

Here's an interesting comment contained within wiki "Not every transitional form appears in the fossil record, because the fossil record is nowhere near complete. Organisms are only rarely preserved as fossils in the best of circumstances, and only a fraction of such fossils have been discovered. The paleontologist Donald Prothero noted that this is illustrated by the fact that the number of species known through the fossil record was less than 5% of the number of known living species, which suggests that the number of species known through fossils must be far less than 1% of all the species that have ever lived"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_link

Do you 'really' want to put your 'faith' in a fossil record that is inherently bankrupt in empirical evidence? I don't.

One other thing, I don't claim to 'know' (neither should you) the mechanism of abiogenesis, all science can currently show us is biogenesis, and the problem that awaits science once it discovers a way to 'abiogenesis is if mankind can do it, why couldn't some other intelligent designer have done the same thing as humans millenia ago?

"Thank you, I know what a flying fox is, however it has been suggested (not by you) that bats that utilize echolocation descended from flying fox like creatures, shrews, and even insects, what I'm asking is 'show me the money' show me the missing links, show me the skeletal remains, show me the DNA mutations, show me how natural selection, selected the steps that led to echolocation in bats, show me something."

Nobody in their right mind would suggest that bats of any sort evolved from insects, so if that's the type of nonsense you're reading, it's no wonder you don't believe in evolution. tongue

Current evidence suggests that echolocation may have evolved independently in different bat lineages at different times, and that it's based on a minor change to a single gene - the same one used for echolocation by cetaceans, in fact - rather like, for example, lactose tolerance evolved independently in several different human populations, though in that case four different mutations were involved.

"If there are 'limited precursors'  then it shouldn't be difficult to name them, please name them as I'd like to check em out."

Um, I named four in my earlier post, and what they're hypothesized to be precursors of.

"How about homo sapiens, we have had 'Java' man  'Piltdown' man  'lucy'  'keyanthropus' (that has recently booted lucy out), so which one is it. Where are the remains/bones that connect apes to humans. There should be tens of thousands of transitional skeletal remains to prove that humans descended from apes, show them to me."

Why should there be more hominid fossils than there is of anything else? We've got the remains of perhaps 1000 individuals, most so fragmentary that you could fit the whole lot in the bed of a pickup truck if you didn't care how much they got jumbled up. If you expect scientists to magically piece together a precise and accurate history of the human race from that, then you have a pretty strange concept of how science works.

The fact that there are uncertainties does not, however, disprove the theory of evolution, no matter how much you seem to want it to. The fossil record we do have, sparse as it may be, behaves pretty much as evolution predicts - you don't have some big-brained Cary Grant type loping around the Pliocene savannah, you have small brained apes gradually turning nto larg brained ones over millions of years.

ID proponents have yet to answer the question of why our hypothetical designer chose to do his designing in such a way that it precisely mimicked the predictions of the theory of evolution.

"How about sharks, where is proof of their evolution? from what I understand they haven't changed, yes there are different species, however the ones that aren't extinct don't have 'precursors' do they?"

Sharks haven't changed much in their essential "sharkiness" but they have evolved since their origin in the Devonian and modern species do have precursors, though precisely what was a precursor to what remains a subject of some debate. For example, some think the modern Great White is a descendant of the spectacular Megalodon, others from type of extinct mako skark.

There's an interesting and detailed overview of shark evolution here:

http://www.elasmo-research.org/educatio … edator.htm

"Do you 'really' want to put your 'faith' in a fossil record that is inherently bankrupt in empirical evidence? I don't."

If fossils were the only proof we had of evolution, I might be more skeptical too, but they're not. Far from it.

Have fun: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/

1. profile image0

"Nobody in their right mind would suggest that bats of any sort evolved from insects, so if that's the type of nonsense you're reading, it's no wonder you don't believe in evolution."

I told you I'd be looking out for 'false dillema's/dichotomies. My reading that insects may be precursors to echolocation in bats isn't indicative of the nonesense I'm reading that makes me feel that I shouldn't place any 'faith' in evolution, and saying that it is, is a false dichotomy, it isn't an either/or outcome. I am a profuse reader of several theories of evoulution and the lack of evolution from insects and shrews etc, to bat echolocation and indeed bats themselves isn't the only 'nonesense' that I draw conclusions from. 

[...] you have small brained apes gradually turning nto larg brained ones over millions of years"

We've talked about this, there is no evidence, there is no sequential record of small brained apes evolving into mankind, there are no skeletons depicting the changes, there are only hypotheses built upon more hypotheses, the evolutionary theory of mankind from ape is about as bankrupt and vacuous as the theory of bat evolution or shark evolution.

"Current evidence suggests that echolocation may have evolved independently in different bat lineages at different times, and that it's based on a minor change to a single gene - the same one used for echolocation by cetaceans[...]

Please correct me if I am wrong, but all I could find in your link from PubMed and any references from the article are these comments (and they don't even remotely begin to prove bat echoloction evolved from anything) here's what I found in your link......

a)"Recent phylogenetic analyses based on gene sequences show that particular types of echolocation signals have evolved independently in several lineages of bats. Call design is often influenced more by perceptual challenges imposed by the environment than by phylogeny, and provides excellent examples of convergent evolution.

b)We will conclude by anticipating how recent advances in genomics might increase our understanding of the genetic basis for the evolution of echolocation.

(one of the references, I don't remember which one says)
        c)"These morphs have undergone recent genetic divergence, and this process has occurred in parallel more than once[...]

If I have missed something, please be so kind as to straighten me out, however, the above is again only hypotheses, there are no hard facts, are there? so again, why would I place my faith in their 'the evolutionary theorists' fables of apes to men, or the ooze, where is all this evidence you allude to, yet haven't been able to put on the table? I really am sorry, but the so called evidence for abiogenesis is redundant even though you may really really want it to be factual and scientific, it isn't factual and you need to stop reading magic stories and cease the wishful thinking.

Your link to shark evolution was unfortunatel dissapointing, it was like reading a fairy tale, where (again) did I miss the 'proof'

Your final link, did you even read it before posting it?

Here are some quotes from that link you gave me as proof of evolution 'micro or macro.

1) However, whether microevolutionary theories are sufficient to account for macroevolutionary adaptations is a question that is left open.

2) [...] None of the dozens of predictions directly address how macroevolution has occurred, how fins were able to develop into limbs, how the leopard got its spots, or how the vertebrate eye evolved. None of the evidence recounted here assumes that natural selection is valid. None of the evidence assumes that natural selection is sufficient for generating adaptations or the differences between species and other taxa [...]

3) One sometimes reads that all hominid fossils could fit in a coffin, or on a table, or a billiard table. That is a misleading image, as there are now thousands of hominid fossils. They are however mostly fragmentary, often consisting of single bones or isolated teeth. Complete skulls and skeletons are rare.

Your link shows pictures of several skulls starting with a chimp skull and ending with a homo sapien skull (the link does not attempt to explain the evolution of the skulls, there are 'just' pictures) and then goes on to link another website (#3 above is a quote from it)  that purportedly explains the evolution from chimps to humans.

I did read some things in their link from your link, it was  'a tooth' being disputed as to whether it belonged to an 'ape man' or not. Here's an excerpt from it...... "Bergman's assertion is not supported by the quote given as evidence for it. Gregory and Hellman are not saying that Hesperopithecus was a missing link, or half way between apes and humans, or a proof of Darwin's theory. They were making the far more modest claim that it belonged somewhere in the family group which also contained humans, apes, and Pithecanthropus."

Are you comfortable with that level of non-science or junk science? because the bar is set too high, I mean anything could pass under it or classify itself as proof when all you have is 'a tooth' that is being hotly debated as evidence that it may belong to 'The missing link'.

Phylogeny-convergent evolution-common descent are all being bandied about as proof that one cell started all life, in all your references their hasn't been a single scintilla of proof that everything came from nothing, or that The Cambrian Explosian does not provide ample evidence of ID, also there aren't enough skeletal remains to bootstrap together a single set of a 'transitional' chimp to homo sapien model, and yet you want the world to believe in that peculiar fantastical tale that it all just happened?

Well, I'm not buying it.

"the lack of evolution from insects and shrews etc, to bat echolocation and indeed bats themselves isn't the only 'nonesense' that I draw conclusions from."

I should hope not! I'd be interested to know where you've seen a credible scientist claiming that bats evolved from insects, btw. Link?

"If I have missed something, please be so kind as to straighten me out, however, the above is again only hypotheses, there are no hard facts, are there?"

You missed the part where a mutation in a single gene is responsible for echolocation, apparently.

You're really good at missing the point in general, I guess, because you sure did a spectacular job with your little quote mine.

Here's what the article really says (bolding mine):

None of the dozens of predictions directly address how macroevolution has occurred, how fins were able to develop into limbs, how the leopard got its spots, or how the vertebrate eye evolved. None of the evidence recounted here assumes that natural selection is valid. None of the evidence assumes that natural selection is sufficient for generating adaptations or the differences between species and other taxa. Because of this evidentiary independence, the validity of the macroevolutionary conclusion does not depend on whether natural selection, or the inheritance of acquired characaters, or a force vitale, or something else is the true mechanism of adaptive evolutionary change. The scientific case for common descent stands, regardless.

As I see it, you're either being deliberately obtuse or you don't have the scientific knowledge to understand what he's saying, which is that the theory of common descent stands as the best possible explanation of the known evidence on its own merit, independent of theories about the mechanism of change. In other words, you don't need to assume that the theory of natural selection is correct in order to prove that the theory of common descent is the best possible explanation of the known facts. Thus your accusation that "there are only hypotheses built upon more hypotheses" is false. They stand on their own merits independent of related theories.

"I did read some things in their link from your link, it was  'a tooth' being disputed as to whether it belonged to an 'ape man' or not. Here's an excerpt from it...... "Bergman's assertion is not supported by the quote given as evidence for it. Gregory and Hellman are not saying that Hesperopithecus was a missing link, or half way between apes and humans, or a proof of Darwin's theory. They were making the far more modest claim that it belonged somewhere in the family group which also contained humans, apes, and Pithecanthropus." Are you comfortable with that level of non-science or junk science? because the bar is set too high, I mean anything could pass under it or classify itself as proof when all you have is 'a tooth' that is being hotly debated as evidence that it may belong to 'The missing link'."

lol You either ignored or overlooked the small but important detail that Jerry Bergman is a creationist. He claimed that some scientists claimed they'd found the "missing link" between humans and apes. They had claimed nothing of the kind, and your quote comes from a page debunking his article in great detail as either a misunderstanding or a deliberate deception. The fact that you managed to quote-mine those particular words without noticing any of this suggests that, like Bergman, you either don't understand what you're reading or are deliberately attempting to deceive those who lack the background to realize that they're being lied to. I hope it's the former, because I'd really expect better than the latter from somebody whose pen-name is "ecoethicalvegan."

1. profile image0

"I should hope not! I'd be interested to know where you've seen a credible scientist claiming that bats evolved from insects, btw. Link?"

The comment about insects into bats is just one of many theories I have researched and as soon as I find a link from a 'credible' scientist, I'll post it for you.

"You missed the part where a mutation in a single gene is responsible for echolocation, apparently."

Haha, you make me laugh big_smile Maybe I did, do you mind linking me to something that is peer reviewed about that particular mutation, or if it's just a theory about gene mutation in general, no worries I don't need it because it won't help that particular argument.

'None of the dozens of predictions directly address how macroevolution has occurred, how fins were able to develop into limbs, how the leopard got its spots, or how the vertebrate eye evolved. None of the evidence recounted here assumes that natural selection is valid. None of the evidence assumes that natural selection is sufficient for generating adaptations or the differences between species and other taxa. Because of this evidentiary independence, the validity of the macroevolutionary conclusion does not depend on whether natural selection, or the inheritance of acquired characaters, or a force vitale, or something else is the true mechanism of adaptive evolutionary change. The scientific case for common descent stands, regardless."

Yes you're of course right that I didn't include common descent in that quote 'mine' but it wasn't meant to be underhanded, I guess I did a bad job of trying to say this. Macroevolution is entirely dependent on microevolution (maybe there are some cases of quantum leaps) but generally speaking macroevolution and or common descent shouldn't be touted as independent of natural selection or evolutionary changes such as 'fins to limbs/vertebrate eye'..... How can common descent be considered viable if microevolution/natural selection isn't verifiable or not to be depended upon? Common descent/Phylogeny becomes bunkum without natural selection/microevolution. It becomes another unsubstantiated loosely strapped together bedtime story for the budding university paleontologist, it'll definitely send them to sleep smile So no I don't think I'm being obtuse, just a person that doesn't accept unsubstantiated claptrap.

"You either ignored or overlooked the small but important detail that Jerry Bergman is a creationist. He claimed that some scientists claimed they'd found the "missing link" between humans and apes. They had claimed nothing of the kind, and your quote comes from a page debunking his article in great detail as either a misunderstanding or a deliberate deception. The fact that you managed to quote-mine those particular words without noticing any of this suggests that, like Bergman, you either don't understand what you're reading or are deliberately attempting to deceive those who lack the background to realize that they're being lied to. I hope it's the former, because I'd really expect better than the latter from somebody whose pen-name is "ecoethicalvegan."

The purpose of that particular 'quote mine' was this (sometimes some thoughts need a second shot to be clarified, I'll attempt to do that now)
            It isn't the first time nor will it be the last that when a tooth or skull fragment is unearthed, it is somehow magically meant to be 'The missing link' to yet another phylum that supposedly proves that either common descent or natural selection is consistent with biogenesis as though that tooth proves ID doesn't have any validity.

As for my 'pen-name' it is consistent with my moral code for how I live and conduct myself relative to the planet and it's inhabitants, is that OK with you?

Oh and back to the rag tag grouping of the 'chimp to homo sapien' thing. I suggest it is severely lacking in the fossilized recounting of how humans evolved from those particular primates and hominids. Where are the hundreds if not thousands of macro and or micro changes in their evolution? or is it being suggested that the leap from one genera to the next is not just a macro leap but a colossally huge leap, in other words fables

"The comment about insects into bats is just one of many theories I have researched and as soon as I find a link from a 'credible' scientist, I'll post it for you."

Please do. I await it eagerly.

"Haha, you make me laugh big_smile Maybe I did, do you mind linking me to something that is peer reviewed about that particular mutation, or if it's just a theory about gene mutation in general, no worries I don't need it because it won't help that particular argument."

I posted a link to the Science Daily report on the study in my earlier post. If you want to read the original study, there's this wonderful thing called "Google" you might have heard about.

"Yes you're of course right that I didn't include common descent in that quote 'mine' but it wasn't meant to be underhanded, I guess I did a bad job of trying to say this. Macroevolution is entirely dependent on microevolution (maybe there are some cases of quantum leaps) but generally speaking macroevolution and or common descent shouldn't be touted as independent of natural selection or evolutionary changes such as 'fins to limbs/vertebrate eye'..... How can common descent be considered viable if microevolution/natural selection isn't verifiable or not to be depended upon? Common descent/Phylogeny becomes bunkum without natural selection/microevolution. It becomes another unsubstantiated loosely strapped together bedtime story for the budding university paleontologist, it'll definitely send them to sleep smile So no I don't think I'm being obtuse, just a person that doesn't accept unsubstantiated claptrap."

Missing the point, you're still doing it. The entire point of the passage in question is that the evidence for macroevolution and natural selection is NOT dependent on the assumption that the other theory is correct.

The author specifically said that it doesn't matter if the mechanism of change is assumed to be natural selection or the long-debunked theories of inheritance of acquired traits or force vitale (or, for that matter, the meddling of some bored eternal being), the evidence for common descent still stands.

"The purpose of that particular 'quote mine' was this (sometimes some thoughts need a second shot to be clarified, I'll attempt to do that now). It isn't the first time nor will it be the last that when a tooth or skull fragment is unearthed, it is somehow magically meant to be 'The missing link' to yet another phylum that supposedly proves that either common descent or natural selection is consistent with biogenesis as though that tooth proves ID doesn't have any validity."

More point missing. Nobody except the creationist ever claimed the tooth in question was meant to be a "missing link." Unlike enthusiastic amateurs and the popular press, real scientists rarely make such claims without very strong justification. The most definitive statement any scientist actually made about the tooth was that it appeared to belong to some kind of ape. He was wrong, as it turns out, but it's worth noting that the original misidentification took place in 1922 and was corrected by 1927. This was still years before Leakey began his excavations at Olduvai Gorge, and during a period when next to nothing was known about human evolution.

The downside of natural scientific caution is that all their maybes, possiblies, and probablies convince people like you that all they've got is "unfounded" hypotheses, when in fact they're building on ~150 years of fossil, geological, molecular, and genetic evidence (more for some species, less for others) when formulating those hypotheses, not just making stuff up out of the blue because they think it sounds reasonable.

"Oh and back to the rag tag grouping of the 'chimp to homo sapien' thing. I suggest it is severely lacking in the fossilized recounting of how humans evolved from those particular primates and hominids. Where are the hundreds if not thousands of macro and or micro changes in their evolution? or is it being suggested that the leap from one genera to the next is not just a macro leap but a colossally huge leap, in other words fables"

First, chimps share a common ancestor with humans, they're not our ancestors themselves. Second, I can see quite a few macro and micro changes just comparing the skulls of the older hominids to the younger ones in that picture, so if they all look identical to you, perhaps a closer examination would be in order. There's a clear transition from smaller to larger brain cavities for starters.

I suggest that if you want transitions between the transitions and transitions between those transitions and then more transitions between those transitions, then you should get out to Africa and start digging. I'm sure paleontologists would love the help - it's a hot, tedious, thankless job if there ever was one.

1. profile image0

K, I checked out that sarcastically framed 'Google' thing and what I got was a lot of rhetoric without the actual studies, I guess 'faith' in their studies is called for?

"Missing the point, you're still doing it. The entire point of the passage in question is that the evidence for macroevolution and natural selection is NOT dependent on the assumption that the other theory is correct"

You're getting a little muddled up, this is what your link says

"None of the evidence recounted here assumes that natural selection is valid. None of the evidence assumes that natural selection is sufficient for generating adaptations or the differences between species and other taxa. Because of this evidentiary independence, the validity of the macroevolutionary conclusion does not depend on whether natural selection, or the inheritance of acquired characaters, or a force vitale, or something else is the true mechanism of adaptive evolutionary change. The scientific case for common descent stands, regardless" .....see how the 'mined' quoted passage says " the validity of the macroevolutionary conclusion does not depend on whether natural selection,[...] and goes on to say  [b]The scientific case for common descent stands, regardless

So there is a 'distancing' going on between 'macroevolution' and 'natural selection' no?

Here's another 'mined' quote from my earlier response to this subject, "How can common descent be considered viable if microevolution/natural selection isn't verifiable or not to be depended upon?"....do you see where I am going with this.

Common descent in your link wants to 'stand alone' right? so I'm saying that as you put it 'the other theory' (in this case 'natural selection or microevolutionary changes) cannot be dispensed with in common descent or macroevolution because natural selection and microevolution is at the very core of natural descent, is that too hard to understand? I mean, just because the theory of natural descent wants to separate itself from microevolution or natural selection doesn't automatically make it efficient to do so, in fact it cripples it's own agenda, why can't you see that?

" First, chimps share a common ancestor with humans, they're not our ancestors themselves. Second, I can see quite a few macro and micro changes just comparing the skulls of the older hominids to the younger ones in that picture, so if they all look identical to you, perhaps a closer examination would be in order. There's a clear transition from smaller to larger brain cavities for starters"

The only thing evident in those pictures are that they are visually different to each other (as you observed) so what? what makes them genera-cally or phyla-cally a family? is it because the brain cavities increase in size as they were laid out by the paleontologist or the anthropologist? the link that is link to that section is devoid of any clarification for their progression.

I 'mined' some more info from this link http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/species.html did you notice the 'insufficient evidence' or am I being selective here? There's insufficient evidence all over that graph (at the bottom of that page), am I supposed to have more 'faith'

Like I said before I'm not buying it.

Also like I said before "Where are the hundreds if not thousands of macro and or micro changes in their evolution? or is it being suggested that the leap from one genera to the next is not just a macro leap but a colossally huge leap, in other words fables"

I eagerly await your abilty to fill in the chimp to hominid or homo sapien gap.

"K, I checked out that sarcastically framed 'Google' thing and what I got was a lot of rhetoric without the actual studies, I guess 'faith' in their studies is called for?"

The studies in question:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar … 2209020570
                  http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar … 2209020739

Here's a hint: when looking for scientific studies on Google, type in the name of the journal you're looking for, then find the archives on its website and go to the date you're looking for. Magic! It took me all of five seconds to find both papers cited in the Science Daily report.

If you don't know the journal or the date, Google Scholar is helpful, but since the Science Daily report I linked to included both I'm forced to conclude that you didn't actually bother to read it before dismissing it as a bunch of "magic stories" and "wishful thinking."

"You're getting a little muddled up, this is what the link says"

Missing the point, you're still doing it. The entire point of the passage in question is that the evidence for macroevolution and natural selection is NOT dependent on the assumption that the other theory is correct.

Again, the author states that it doesn't matter whether you claim that natural selection or divine meddling or something else entirely is the actual mechanism of change, common descent is still the best possible explanation of the evidence. So, for example, if you want to claim that new species arise because God waves His magic wand and makes them from other species, you still have to say that He started with a common ancestor if you want to be compatible with the available scientific evidence.

That said, you could make a similar case for the strength of the evidence supporting natural selection as the mechanism of change, independent of whether things are descended from one starting point or a thousand, which is why common descent and natural selection are the accepted theories, not common descent and intelligent design or common descent and inheritance of acquired traits, or common descent and whatever other claptrap idea you want to come up with.

"So there is a 'distancing' going on between 'macroevolution' and 'natural selection' no? I mean, just because the theory of natural descent wants to separate itself from microevolution or natural selection doesn't automatically make it efficient to do so, in fact it cripples it's own agenda, why can't you see that?"

They are different theories. Related, but different. Therefore, it would be junk science if scientists based their acceptance of one theory on the assumption that the other is correct. They both need to be able to stand independently based on the evidence, which they do.

However, the fact that the proofs for common descent and natural selection are independent of each other does not mean that the processes are. Common descent is the best explanation for the available evidence explaining the origin of species (though not the origin of life itself) and natural selection is the best explanation for the available evidence about how species changed.

"Here's another 'mined' quote from my earlier response to this subject, "How can common descent be considered viable if microevolution/natural selection isn't verifiable or not to be depended upon?"....do you see where I am going with this."

Er, that's not a mined quote. You said that. Quote mining means taking someone else's words out of context to make it appear that they said or suggested something that they didn't.

The article itself said nothing about microevolution/natural selection not being "verifiable," it only said that its validity was a separate issue that would not directly be addressed in the article, because the article deals specifically with the evidence supporting common descent.

"The only thing evident in those pictures are that they are visually different to each other (as you observed) so what? what makes them genera-cally or phyla-cally a family? is it because the brain cavities increase in size as they were laid out by the paleontologist or the anthropologist? the link that is link to that section is devoid of any clarification for their progression."

The photo clearly labels the skulls and includes a key demonstrating that, with the exception of the modern chimp, they are laid out in chronological order from oldest to youngest. Pretty obvious "clarification for their progression" if you ask me. In one case you've even got two members of the same species showing obvious differences in ~100,000 years.

You're really so good at overlooking important details that I'm starting to wonder if your computer screen just randomly blinks on and off when you're reading so you miss entire sentences and paragraphs of information.

"I 'mined' some more info from this link http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/species.html did you notice the 'insufficient evidence' or am I being selective here? There's insufficient evidence all over that graph (at the bottom of that page), am I supposed to have more 'faith'. "Also like I said before "Where are the hundreds if not thousands of macro and or micro changes in their evolution? or is it being suggested that the leap from one genera to the next is not just a macro leap but a colossally huge leap, in other words fables"

You could try scrolling up and reading. The accompanying text includes quite detailed descriptions about what exactly is and is not known about each of the various species in the graph. As I said earlier, you want more, get out there and start digging.

How's the "bats evolved from insects" search coming along?

1. profile image0

"Here's a hint: when looking for scientific studies on Google, type in the name of the journal you're looking for, then find the archives on its website and go to the date you're looking for. Magic! It took me all of five seconds to find both papers cited in the Science Daily report.

If you don't know the journal or the date, Google Scholar is helpful, but since the Science Daily report I linked to included both I'm forced to conclude that you didn't actually bother to read it before dismissing it as a bunch of "magic stories" and "wishful thinking."

Thanx kerryg but that's exactly what I did, in other words I took the link and went as far down it's trail (which included both your links) and found nothing but rhetoric, what I was looking for were the actual 'science' behind all the yapping. Know what I mean?

Common Descent; "Again, the author states that it doesn't matter whether you claim that natural selection or divine meddling or something else entirely is the actual mechanism of change, common descent is still the best possible explanation of the evidence. So, for example, if you want to claim that new species arise because God waves His magic wand and makes them from other species, you still have to say that He started with a common ancestor if you want to be compatible with the available scientific evidence."

Wonderful, so God is responsible, what else do you have?

"You could try scrolling up and reading. The accompanying text includes quite detailed descriptions about what exactly is and is not known about each of the various species in the graph. As I said earlier, you want more, get out there and start digging"

Is that how science works? if science is lacking evidence as in the case for bats, sharks, hominids, etc, then it's down to digging? I luv it, either have 'faith' in evolutionary fables, or dig. I think that about sums up your defense of the probability that 'chance' is the reason, the catalyst for every phylum on the planet.

Despite the chasm pre and post Cambrian for the appearance of hundreds of genera, despite the lack of skeletal remains in most phyla, despite the equivocation of common descent,, despite the fact that along with all the organs, blood, skeletons, senses, that we have a consciousness (how did that evolve?) despite common sense, let's sweep all that under the carpet, or bury our heads in the sand and say, the  probability of ID is incredibly remote, but we could always put our money on mutations that most of the time have either a lateral effect or a neutral effect or a damaging effect.

Is mankind going to be the first in the universe to create life? Is panspermia possible? Are there more intelligent organisms out there? Is there a chance that before the big bang there was nothing? no physical universe, if we assigned a number to the enormity of these questions like for instance if we took the time from the big bang till now and said something like 10 billion times that time period prior to the big bang what was going on in the physical universe and if there was no physical universe, what was there? who knows what was going on 10 billion times 10 billion times 10 billion times before that? of course there couldn't be a god or gods anywhere around, out there, because we have it all figured out, at least to the extent that we know there couldn't be another dimension that we have access to coz we be the smart humans, yeah man, that's it, we know for sure that there can only be tangible elements to everything, everything all the way to the other end of the universe that there is no end to, dang we are so smart.

Oh and by the way I'll let you know if I find any credible sources for the 'insect to bat' evolution that I happen to think isn't credible smile

19. NiaLee profile image60
    NiaLeeposted 12 years ago

Theists can not believe in evolution because the Holy Books say that God created man a certain way...though if we admit one of God's day is hundreds of years for us and don't take everything literally, we may come to an understanding, no??
    Who decides what was translated and understood which way for thousands of years??? When I look into it, I realize that we understand what we can, the way we can or want...so, this create basis for discussion, but the freedom of speech stops where belief starts...whatever we do or say, belief stands like a rock for those who have decided to or want to. It is a way to have answers to questions without answers for others, it is a way to feel secured in a world where security is so small or few, it is also a way to be part of a big group that supports.

1. Insane Mundane profile image59
      Insane Mundaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How many times will it take for some of y'all to understand that the theory of evolution shouldn't even relate with creationism?
      By the way, the Bible has nothing to do with my refusal to believe that my relatives are Bonobos, Chimps, Apes, Orangutans, Gorillas or whatever.
      I'm sorry to see that some people treat the evolution theory as a religion, but until the day comes that y'all can bring some real evidence that an ape-like being magically turned into the Homo sapiens of today, you'll just be chasing your tail in a pile of ancient fossils that really does nothing but waste time and make the field of science look bad.

2. A.S.K.Preacher profile image61
      A.S.K.Preacherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

NiaLee
      You may be a little mislead. Creationist believe the way they do because of faith. As faith increases; understanding increases. This is given by God. The Bible reads; Without faith it is impossible to please God, for everyone that comes to Him MUST believe He exists and that He rewards those who diligently seek Him. You see, if you refuse to acknowledge Him; How can He show Himself to you?
      Because we believe in the creation does not make us literary bullies. In fact there are many Christians who are bullied because they do believe in the creation. In this world, it is Christian belief that is being targeted for silence.

1. profile image0
        jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As faith increases reasoning decreases. Christians ask everybody to get rid of reason and use faith, yet I don't see Christians jumping over cliff based on faith, but they stop using reason.
        The mystery is why they don't use the same reason before trusting(believing) books written by ancient barbarian savages!

1. EinderDarkwolf profile image60
          EinderDarkwolfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not saying that the books were written by Savages, but Jesus hasn't come back and told them all to jump off a cliff yet which is why they haven't. Once his voice says that, they'll all doom themselves by doing it.

Very few Christians actually do what the Bible tells them to do. Otherwise there would be a bunch of one eyed Christians; because they would have plucked their eyes out, and there would never be a Christian with 2 cars; because they would have had to give one of their cars to their neighbor who had none.

As knowledge increases; common sense decreases.

lol Only if one is completely out of touch with reality.

1. WD Curry 111 profile image57
              WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

A case in point.  The perfect example . . . a big forum frog in a little pond.        cool

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSObqRSGS_5ww0anhaGutRbMAMMTbJX0nJrMiD-XK5nVyodHKxGiQ

1. wilmiers77 profile image61
                wilmiers77posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who says that religion must conform to reality what ever that is...no one so far has observed it. We are in the world, but not of the world. Who is to say that reality is not really the Christian view...like God. Hold your horses fellows until all the facts are in.

2. wilmiers77 profile image61
              wilmiers77posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Trouble, you jumped the wrong horse.

3. A.S.K.Preacher profile image61

To: A Troubled Man
              You would know if lacking common sense would lead to a loss of grasp on reality, wouldn't you?

2. profile image0

Is that why the religious taught that the earth is flat?

20. Druid Dude profile image60

Having a hard time perceiving relatives of this nature? Have a good stiff drink, or maybe several and take another gander at your M.I.L.wink KIDDING! I, personally, am a creationary evolutionist...or maybe that's a evolutionary creationist....whatever. But, I believe that the most intelligent design is a design that is highly adaptable, and since we are cast "in the image" then God is also highly adaptable. In short, we evolve because God evolved. I am the self-appointed spokesperson for the third alternative.

You better watch it with that "evolutionary creationist" talk, or you'll haphazardly start another religion amid society!  lol

Druid Dude. You have an interesting concept there. The Bible reads; and God made them "AFTER THEIR KIND." Birds and fish, creeping things, everyone and everything - after their kind. You will find several different kinds of spiders, monkeys, dogs, etc. but none of them adapt enough to become another species. Do you believe we came from monkeys? I am just curious.

1. profile image0

Evolved from monkeys? You are another monkey - Simian.
        I thought uneducated people are there only in third world countries.

1. A.S.K.Preacher profile image61

I am sure some educated person from a third world country would love your response.
          Do you just like spitting vitriol or is there a point to your comment?

1. profile image0

What if I'm from a third world country?
            My point is, though your religion caters to your superiority complex, man is just another monkey, an ape with better technology.

It always amazes me how those who point the finger as you are doing never seem to realize they are guilty of the very thing they accuse.
              I believe it is you with a supiority complex. I never implied in any way that I was better than anyone. But you and your ilk make no bones about your distaste for anyone with a faith based belief. Especially if it is Christian.
              All I am trying to do is present reason so that you MIGHT think on some level rather than what someone has TAUGHT you to believe. I do this in order that SOME  might be saved.
              If you all really think that Christians are just a bunch of misled wackos, then why bother trying to argue with us. Because we will live our lives in this "fantasy" die and the Word will die with us. But that is not the case. Many before have tried to wipe out Christianity, but the Word still lives. It will never die because there is something more than the physical keeping it alive.

Not that I necessarily disagree with what your saying, but no one has really tried to wipe out Christianity. Christianity has tried wiping out other religions for almost as long as it's been around. Can't really use that when your trying to take the high and mighty ground there.

Ahh but they have. Mostly it was by those who were professing to be that which they were not. By being in the most notable positions and using that power; not for the furthering of the message as much as for furthering their own cause.
                  Do not mean to come off high and mighty. More interested in defending the truth.

In order to defend the truth, first one must know the truth. The people who committed these atrocities through out history, in the name of God, truly believed they were doing Gods work. Mostly, I think they thought they were defending the historical truth that was Jesus Christ. The problem is, there is no historical truth. A spiritual truth, yes. It's the same spiritual truth that was around for 1,000's of years before the assumed birth of Christ. You can rename it, and call it whatever you'd like to. I hold no animosity or hate towards anyone for doing so. I just want to make sure you know what the truth is and understand it, instead of defending a place, time, and event that never actually happened.

2. profile image0

Yet you are the one who claimed that human beings are some "special creation".
                "I do this in order that SOME  might be saved."
                And what does that statement mean, that you are "saved" and all others who don't think like you are doomed? and that is not superiority complex?.

As long as you keep your belief to yourself, who has distaste? It is when you claim your beliefs are superior to all others, those without that are "not saved", and doing so without any evidence, you get a retort

You can show reason? Please show it here. Tell me how, matter which is eternal, needs creation?

Same can be said about Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism

Human beings ARE a special creation. My concern for all, even you, does not make me superior, it makes me concerned and compassionate. I completely understand how it is possible to be led away, I was. It is an attempt to try and reason with you and others. There is too much complexity in nature for it to be anything other than intelligent design.
                  A flower that has a scent or color to attract a specific insect in order to reproduce. The bee, that has a type of language all its own in order to communicate where a source is, how far it is from the hive, what direction. You cannot see intelligent design in this?
                  As far as having only one way to be saved, that is right. There is only one way, Jesus Christ. How can I prove this? I cannot. I know what  I have experienced. He is real. That is all I can say. The rest depends upon faith.
                  It is not necessary to give a "retort" unless you feel threatened. Are you threatened by Christianity?

1. profile image0

'Complexity' is a human construct. Which is more complex, a diamond crystal, or a prion or a virus?

It is the other way round. A flower without scent to attract insects, won't survive for you to see. Do you see intelligent design in an anencephaly, hydrocephalus, down syndrome, the millions of fetuses than get aborted at various stages of development(some without even the mother noticing), double headed animals,..?
                    If you postulate "everything thing needs creation", your creator will also come in the purview of that postulate and you have to explain who designed the designer. Again "the creator" needs be more complex than the created. Please explain the contradiction.

I don't know whether you have heard the word 'bias', especially confirmation bias. If we make an assumption as you did, then we will be interpreting all our "experience" based on the assumption. It is the same reason why a muslim has experience that 'allah' is real, while for hindus their myriad of different gods are real. The other religious people also say the same thing, theirs is the only way and all depend on faith.

As a matter of fact I do.
                    "because our brothers might kill you and I if they are not taught or dealt with correctly.
                    Anyone who is a friend of the world is an enemy of God. In God I trust, but all others must be tempered""
                    This reply alone might be enough to show you the point, but I'll remind you what happened in the dark ages. It will also be good to remember sep 11, done/perpetuated by people who "experienced" their own god.

2. Insane Mundane profile image59

I suppose that you also think the dubstepping talents of the guy in this video, are evolved traits for Simian survival, as well? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXO-jKksQkM

Dang, I never seen a bonobo, ape, gorilla, chimp, orangutan, etc., do that!
          LOL!

1. profile image0

LOL!

That's nothing compared to the Kung Fu Monkey:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlWCEOMxxFw

2. Captain Redbeard profile image60

I love that this guy worked dubstepping into this discussion! lol

It was necessary, and obviously so...

3. WD Curry 111 profile image57
          WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll help you evolve in English. This sounds better, "I thought uneducated people were only in third world countries."

If you want to zing someone, you don't want to be clumsy.

1. profile image0

Thanks. You are right, I ought to be more careful.

Amen

2. EinderDarkwolf profile image60

The statement after their own kind supports some peoples theory that God may be an Alien. Use sparingly.

21. wilmiers77 profile image61
    wilmiers77posted 12 years ago

I have noticed that people who believe in evolution doesn't know the full extent of the theory which is first cause of the specie. Theist only challenge the idea that first cause was random effected within an universe which has always existed. It's fallacious to believe that theist don't recognize the survival of the fittest part of evolution and the adaptation of specie to the environment over eons of time. Specie developing from another specie or branching off is controversial among all groups, theist and evolutionist and all others.

These arguments are very different;  so lets not confuse or deplete them together.

Some people like Pepsi, some like Coke. Some are Republicans and some are Democrats. I think it's safe to say different strokes for different folks.

22. John Sarkis profile image80
    John Sarkisposted 12 years ago

Are you saying that all scientists accept evolution?  What about Einstein's theories (using him as an example, since he's always mentioned so much....) and other scientists who do not totally agree with Darwin?

Actually, Darwin stole, oops, I mean borrowed a lot of his ideas from others, so actually, the ones who worship the fictitious theory of evolution are also uncertain of who their actual "imbecilic science god" actually is.  Hence forth a poor theory with more holes and missing links than most common religions of today...

23. Druid Dude profile image60

Things do change, so, to say that evolution is totally in error is not an option. We had to develop fire, and swimming, which only comes natural if it is a cultural thing (Babies can actually swim from birth) but, using the embryonic stages as a for instance. We literally come from and develop in water, and have gills. The embryonic stages evidence evolution of the sperm and egg into a human being. Evolution has also been speeded up in some experiments, in that adaptation has been noted. The problem with that is, is that it means that Darwin wasn't totally correct. Adaptation can be acheived in a single generation. Man is different from the other animals, and as near as we can tell, there is only a single gene which is responsible. It must also be asked why some things change, yet others haven't changed at all? Are they perfect organisms? Not a single one, yet, with all that much room for improvement, they didn't change at all.

Adaptation, acclimation, and being able to evolve via your surroundings, doesn't have anything to do with the creation of species or the human race known as Homo sapiens, for example.  The problem starts, when these folks start treating this concept as a religion and, unfortunately, it is more flawed than most myths, legends and folklore, due to the stupidity of it all...  It would also be nice, if these people could construct Dinosaur bones together without so many errors.  I've seen 'em use bones from multiple species while trying to say it is a specific animal, for example.  We got more than human error going on here, as we have the power of denial fueling the evolutionary fire, and the water is on the way; LOL!

24. Druid Dude profile image60

This is why I say that at this point I am a creationary evolutionist. I believe that the perfectly engineered lifeform would be one that was wholly adaptable to changing conditions. Us. A civilization or entity would not have to be that much more advanced than we are to possibly seed and nurture life on another world.

25. profile image52
    taotao1posted 12 years ago

although Authentic Louis Vuitton Handbags you may have to have the procedure repeated <a href="http://www.chaeapcoachwalletshangbagsshoes.com">Cheap Coach Bags</a>.you're giving your enterprise a quite exceptional benefit over other organizations within your Prada Sale.It is quite possible to have a perfectly healthy diet with deplorable fitness habits Hermes Kelly Bag.Do not measure your progress by the scales alone or you will observe deceptive results Louis Vuitton Handbag.

26. Druid Dude profile image60

Every word is the word of God. Nothing else causes conflicts?

1. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That makes sense only if you show us your God. Can you do that?  If not, then you have just posted another meaningless and fraudulent statement...which is absurd.

Hey, Druid Dude, listen to the hubber getitwrong, oops, I mean getitrite, as he/she/it surely knows all about inane ramblings by way of delusion...  LOL!

27. wilmiers77 profile image61
    wilmiers77posted 12 years ago

Thank you. Wise as I suspected.

28. getitrite profile image72
    getitriteposted 12 years ago

Boys and girls this episode of Sesame Street is brought to you by the word "LOSER"

29. Jokylu profile image59
    Jokyluposted 12 years ago

I have to wonder how many writing on this forum have actually read the word and understood it.
    You see it is not until your( spiritual) eyes have been opened that it really becomes clear and then it is an amazing revelation.
    The Word of God is powerful, alive and relevant to every age. In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the Word was God. Jesus himself is the Word. He was there at the beginning and He is there now and it is only through Him (The Word) that we can have direct access to God the Father.
    He is still changing lives as they open the Word and acknowledge its truth.
    There is no other book in history that has remained a best seller for such a period of time. If this book was full of silliness as some on this forum are saying then it would have been out of print years ago.
    Many people are still hungry for the Word of God and many are grateful even to have a few pages.
    Might I suggest that those who would seek to denigrate the Word of God, go to a quiet corner with an open heart and mind and feast on its contents. Start in the New Testament, Johns gospel would be a good place, then some of Pauls letters to the Corinthians or the Romans then perhaps the psalms. It is a beautiful book filled with wisdom and power and love. When your eyes are opened to its truth then go back and read the Old testament and ask God to speak to you through its pages as you read.

1. profile image0

Jokylu,

I wonder how many Christians know what they are reading when they read the bible. 

The quote you offer making Jesus a divinity was written in the neighborhood of 95-105 C.E., which makes it the last of the gospels written.  So why is it that in the book of Mark, the first gospel written, about 35-40 C.E., Jesus is not equal to god and not a deity at all, but an adopted son of god who was totally human until his baptism?

If you cherry pick you can prove almost anything by biblical verse.  When you understand the history of how the book came to be, it is impossible to acknowledge anything else but that it is a collection of human writings describing what views the writers' held at the time of their writing.

That's it.  John is no more right about Jesus than was Mark.  Mark is no more right than Matthew and Luke.  And they all disagree in exactly who Jesus was and what his relationship to god was.

But somehow now, 2000+ year later, certain groups of Christians claim they know the exact nature of god and Jesus. 

About 6 billion of the 9 billion people on the planet don't believe you.

And then there is me - make that 6 billion and 1 who don't believe you.

1. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So why is it that in the book of Mark, the first gospel written, about 35-40 C.E

What we have is an opening gospel written by different people having each a different audience. I'm sure you've heard this before and although i disagree with you late date for Johns gospel we need to realize that typically mythical elements did not enter any scene of any documented person until hundreds of years later and besides having the illiad which people think is translated correctly - the bible just could not be done so.
        Johns message does concern the deity of christ. He was one of the inner circle and knew Jesus probably the best, he writes to the church at large, whereas marks thesis is Jesus the servant of God because of that whole messianic thing and why did jesus not restore the kingdom of God at that time physically speaking.

Just to keep things short i really have to disrespect your opinion and say that if you had some more understanding of the proper ways things are you would have a more accurate and proper knowledge of the bibles words.

2. getitrite profile image72

Funny that you should suggest reading the New Testament first.  Why is that?  What's your angle?

Will doing it that way, somehow, affect our minds in such a way that we become too ignorant to see that the Old Testament God is a bloodthirsty psychopath?

Like this:

"The anger of God rose against them, and he killed their strongest men; he struck down the finest of Israel's young men.  But in spite of this, the people kept on sinning. They refused to believe in his miracles.  So he ended their lives in failure and gave them years of terror.  When God killed some of them, the rest finally sought him.  They repented and turned to God."   (Psalms 78:31-34 NLT)

This cannot be seen in any positive light, unless one has completely abandoned his mind.

I know believers have higher morals than this evil deity.

1. Jokylu profile image59
        Jokyluposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You forget that if God is to be God he is sovereign, He will decide the fate of all. It is He who gives us life and He who can take it away.  The Old testament is mostly an historical account of God and man in relationship. God wanted to enjoy a good relationship with His people but because He set a standard, as a Holy God would, and man breached that standard then God tried to restore the relationship by having man offering blood sacrifices for the  atonement of their sins. The story of Issaac andAbraham is a good illustration where God required a sacrifice but He at the appropriate time provided a lamb. This is to prepare us for the ultimate sacrifice when Jesus would be the sacrificial lamb.   Most of the OT is God trying to restore sinful man into a right relationship with himself.  He does not tolerate blatant disobedience or rebellion nor does he tolerate the worship of any false gods. Throughout the OT God has a plan to restore the intended relationship and He does this by allowing His Son Jesus to be the atonement sacrifice for all of our sins.  That is the reason we need to start with the NT so that we can understand how much love God has for His people and how much he wants to have a right reltionship with them.
        If you start in OT you will likely react just as you did, seeing just the wrath of God and not His love and compassion.  If you examine the bible carefully you will see that at least 300 prophesies regarding Jesus were written in the OT and fulfilled in the NT. . The more you study this book in its entirety the more you will understand God and His purposes.  At least try to read it and study it, and you will be surprised.

1. profile image0

No, you won't.  What you will see are non-specific prophecies in the Old Testament and the details added by the writers of the New Testament to make it appear the original referred to Jesus.

This can not be made more clear than the screw-up from the writer of Matthew who had Jesus literally riding two donkeys at the same time entering Jerusalem, unaware as he was of the Hebrew language device of emhasis, he rode upon a donkey, verily the foal of a donkey, a colt. 

It is obvious that this guy was trying to make it appear that Jesus filled the bill - he wasn't writing history.

The prophecies weren't really that vague. They are more just over looked. Ezekiel states that the Messiah MUST be a Levite and MUST be a Prince, as well as some other more specific details that Jesus never met. People will always believe what they want however.

1. Dannytaylor02 profile image70
              Dannytaylor02posted 12 years agoin reply to this

levites are priests and he's the son of god so he's a prince....so?

2. profile image0

Matthew 21:5   Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of an ass.

ass (G3688 - donkey)
            colt (G4454 - young donkey)
            foal (G5207 - foal, son = male donkey)

So what we have here is that jesus rode in on a young male donkey.

I see no problem with this.
            If you want to go ahead and use western definitions and apply them to hebrew words then one must also wipe of some egg.

1. profile image0

There is no problem with the Hebrew - it is obviously referencing a single animal.  But Matthew screwed that up and thought it meant two aninals, a donkey and a foal.

Matthew, Chapter 21.

21:4 All this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, 
              21:5 Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of an ass. 
              21:6 And the disciples went, and did as Jesus commanded them, 
              21:7 And brought the ass, and the colt, and put on them their clothes, and they set him thereon.

2. getitrite profile image72

Sounds like a silly, evil, childish fairytale to me, no matter which way I read it.

Of course your spin, here, suggests that you are not being honest, or that you might be totally delusional.  How can you see love, where there is blatant violence, rape, murder, and injustices of all types?

1. profile image0

although there are those things in the bible we need to differentiate from
            - what is in there
            - and what God approves of

Your lump everything in one basket of condemnation is completely wrong and your lack of admiration of a book to be so very honest when there is criteria of embarassment is silly.
            First we can be thankful that God tells it like it is
            Second we can be thankful that although this stuff is in there is NOT approved of by God. That is to say, yes its here and this is the way it happened but the act itself is not a God inspired act, in fact, common sense and an unsilly approach to bible understanding leads us away from this infantile notion that God approved of everything and therefore; where is the love?
            Love can be seen all over the place, God bringing his people out from slavery, giving them pristine land, and so much more.
            Sorry getit but subscribing to your theory is to ignore the proper application of understanding the world and word of God.

3. profile image0

Hi Jukylu, people who are darkened by the devil will mock the word of God no matter who true it is. good you are pointing straight to the face the message of scripture about redemption in the Lord Jesus Christ...Godbless

1. getitrite profile image72

That's because the word of God is silly, childish nonsense.  Only the fearful person, who needs to have others control his life will believe such foolishness.

Your God is imaginary, but you don't have the courage to admit it.  The only thing you have is the need for others to control you.

30. profile image0
    Jesshubpagesposted 12 years ago

Hi! TFScientist, evolution is the scapegoat of the fearful. evolution is just a puny attempt to blind the reality of everyones responsiblity before God the creator.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really? How so?

1. profile image0

Human beings are created by the Lord and thereby accountable to Him. Evolutionist are afraid of the fact that they are going to face the judgement of their foolishness...that's why by evolution, the unproven and can't be proven theory is being amplified in all humanistic effort to deny the existence of God Who will surely judge every man according to what they've done

How do you know that evolution was not the method by which God created life on Earth as we know it today?

1. profile image0

The bible tell it and my conscience say it so. evolution is just a puny foolish imagination that cannot not be proven by facts and reason. The proof that God created the world is overwhelming in any field but atheist are not willing to see. They are subjecting their eyes to blindness and claim that they are smart.

You opened the door way and now I step through it.

The bible tells creationism yes. So do many other religions. Common sense dictates then that if one is right, then all of them have to be right.

Conscience is that thing that makes you feel remorse or guilt when you've done something wrong. I think what you meant to say is that you think it's so.

Evolution being puny and foolish imagination that cannot be proven shows a major fallacy on your part. Evolution has already been proven. Not necessarily that we evolved from Primates, but that we, as human beings, do evolve. Writing systems were part of evolution. We evolved from mere speech into the written language. Evolution is evolution no matter how you look at it. It's just the terms you place it in that make the difference.

I think what you meant to say is that the proof that God created the world is subjective in any field. There is no amount of overwhelming evidence. There is no evidence at all. I think it is more that you are not willing to see.

This is an assumption your making here. You, like many others, want anyone who doesn't believe to be stupid instead of smart. Your belief in something that has proven to have been written and assembled by men, and proven as having not been divinely inspired, is what your placing this belief in. As men are fallible, so is anything and everything written by men, of any and every time period. This does include the bible, for which your beliefs are based on.

1. profile image0

evolutionist speaks about the volume of proof to make their theory a fact. Yet where are those evidences? where are the missing links? Isn't all discoveries links us to specific accounts in the Bible such as the universal flood? yes it does. On other hand, all discoveries if scanned with an open heart and mind will shot the claims of evolution. I beg to disagree about the evolution of language. Language is a gift from God given to men His creator. Language whether written or just spoken are did not evolved, they were created. Show me the missing link of evolution and I give in.

1. profile image0

Go look in the mirror.

1. profile image0

I'm waiting for an intelligent answer. My mirror reflects an image of a wonderful creation according to the image of my maker, the designer, creator and sustainer of all that He have created...how about you?

2. EinderDarkwolf profile image60

Evolutionists don't speak about proving a theory fact. Evolution is a fact of life. You evolve from a baby, to a child, to a man, to being a hunched and bent over old person, to death. Again, your working with Darwin's theory of evolution and not looking at what evolution actually is. Your making a leap across a canyon and trying to pull a superman along the way an fly. If you can't understand the simplistics of the human evolution to death, or the simplistic evolution of life on this planet as history records, then you can not understand any other type of evolution either.

No offence to you, or anyone else, but living in willful ignorance is "stupidity" personified. We evolve from crawling to walking, from walking to running. Just as we evolved from walking, to horses, to carriages, to cars. If you can't understand how you as a person can evolve, then you can't ever possible evolve into perfection like one of your later posts talk about.

As for your claim of discoveries linking us to the Biblical flood of the entire world, references and links please. Don't have any? I didn't think you would. We can establish that only certain parts of the world "might" have flooded. Again trying to be superman over a cavern you can't possibly jump.

As for things being scanned with an open mind, I think you just completely missed out on what open mindedness entails. Open mindedness says that you shouldn't let anything cloud what your perceiving. That anything includes your belief system.

The written language has evolved, you consider it a gift, but it's not a gift, it's simple evolution at work. We evolved from speaking, to writing as well. Much as we evolved from living in caves to living in tents and huts, to living in the modern house. Again your missing what evolution is as your basing it completely off Darwin instead of looking at the word itself.

What missing link for evolution are your talking about? Are you still going on about Darwin's theory here since you have no other way to argue it? I know here we have a statement in our military. It is adapt, evolve, overcome. First you adapt to your surroundings, whatever they are, then you evolve yourself to deal with those surroundings. Then you overcome enemies and obstacles in your way. So as for your missing link, even with Darwin's Theory of Evolution, it's Adaptation. We adapt to survive. We evolve in order to deal with the adaptation. Then we overcome the things standing in the path of where we are heading.

It's not complicated, you just don't want to see it. You have closed mind due to your beliefs. When you can overcome your beliefs and think with a clear head instead of a clouded one, perhaps you can revisit this subject.

1. profile image0

You evolve from a baby, to a child, to a man, to being a hunched and bent over old person, to death

Not evolution but stages of growth. Kind of a tricky doctrine to claim this to be evolution. If this is true then my fingernails evolve from short to long.

When people post things you need to understand what and how they are saying things from their viewpoint. You cannot read your own definitions into their statement. He is speaking of a different kind of evolution, from darwinist and you cannot go outside that arena to argue his points and you certainly cannot call him narrow minded without understanding his point of view first.

Get on track before you snidely start to criticize people's posts and of course, revisit when you can understand people's posts.

2. profile image0

You are showing your bias and ignorance with this statement.  The scientific method is about creating the hypothesis and then the theory that explains how a consumated event might have been accomplished naturally.

There is never a claim of certainty in science - only possibilities and a willingness to abandon theories or change theories.

Only in religion is the hypothesis (god is) and the theory (goddunit) considered proven (halleleujah, i believe).

In science it is always, well, this is our best guess to date...

1. profile image0

Nice post
                I think science prefers to keep guessing smile

1. profile image0

Science is intellectually honest enough to admit that it is a guess, but the guess is based on evidence and rational inductive reasoning. 

Religion, on the other hand, claims to know what is impossible for any man to know - the mind, motivations, and will of a supernatural superbeing.

Between the two groups, which is more honest and forthright?

Agreed...... sort of.

Science is as you say, intellectually honest, evolving continually in our understanding, testable and evidence based. if there is any apparent conflict between a point of science and an interpretation of creation from the bible, science wins every time as the most credible.

Religion is faith based, its of a different intellectual realm . It's about hope and confidence in something we cannot see, and is thus not testable by scientific methods.

The two can coexist, why are we arguing?

31. hookedhuntress profile image60
    hookedhuntressposted 12 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6373306_f248.jpg

tongue

LOL! Very funny.

32. Druid Dude profile image60

You can yell "DON'T PANIC!" which could result in one. Could any of you who scoff at intelligent design, consider the possibility that life here was literally planted. That is one of our very own schemes for spreading mankind to other planets. Of course, at this point, it is outside the capabilities of our tech to do so. We have also considered transforming Mars to make it suitable to sustain human life comfortably. What if a civilization were ten thousand years older than our own? What would they be capable of conceiving? And what would we consider them were they to make their presence known. Our ancestors of five or six centuries ago, were they to come to here and now, would think WE are GODS!!!You've closed your minds to possibilities, and therefore your well of imagination. Boring.

1. profile image0

Of course it is "possible".  So what? 

You sound like a egocentrical teen saying, "I'm bored".  There comes a time to put away childish things.

You say, "so what?"

Dang, I see how you debate with others; why don't ya ever try to question me?  I'd be glad to critique your mechanical, analytical thoughts of robotic rhetoric.

You're bored?

Really?

Great minds are never bored...

There comes a time, to put away stagnant thoughts, eh?

The universe doesn't wait on anyone, so please try to catch up, old man...

33. vector7 profile image60

LOL

34. vector7 profile image60

There is more logic and truth in green eggs and ham than in your post.....

No sense in even attempting to correct such proud nonsense.

So I'll leave it at stating it's a nonsense filled post, and hope people search and see the lack of logic themselves..

1. profile image0

No sense in correcting, just like there is no sense in finding that OT scripture that doesn't exist?

Saying, you are wrong, I don't like you, over and over is childish.  It is obvious you have not put away childish things, Dr. Seuss.

35. vector7 profile image60

You just proved my point Mr. Winston.

Childish is stating someone said things they did not in fact state. I never said anything about not liking you. I actually stated the opposite in another forum, therefore you are spreading unbased pretenses, as usual, and then using the lie you form to assert childishness.

You may continue now that I've cleared your twisted method, I have no reason to attempt to discuss anything with anyone conveying false notions as it flows through and through with each post you submit.

1. profile image0

Thank god he finally decided to shut up. smile

Even if he does, I won't.  Hey, ya wanna talk to me, Mr. Roboto?  LOL!
        This songs fits you well enough, and should be somewhat in your time era of existence, dear AKA Winston:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcCS8AK6csg

Ha-ha-ha!

The only reason I thought of it, is because I mentioned your robotic rhetoric earlier, then all of sudden a vision came down from above and the song Mr. Roboto came into mind...  lol

1. profile image0

http://www.verdantgryphon.com/catalog/images/Bugga%20Nonsense%20Mutation.gif

That item is temporarily out of stock! The website you got that image off of says, under it:  "Now and then we get skeins which have some sort of mill flaw - a couple knots, a slubby or underspun section, that sort of thing. Mutants. And sometimes we dye them before realising the problem, so we offer them here at a 25% discount, sight unseen, pot luck as to what you'll get. Please note that the flaws are relatively minor and affect no more than a couple yards. These are not over-all wonky skeins."

Here:  http://www.verdantgryphon.com/catalog/i … ts_id=4186

What a lame poster you are...  LOL!

Ha-ha!

2. Insane Mundane profile image59

LOL!

2. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You got nothing.

36. vector7 profile image60

lol

oh dearrr..

smile

37. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 12 years ago

Um.  Micro is a short scale, and Macro is a long scale.  You accept evolution can happen in a short period of time, but not a long period of time.  That doesn't even make any sense.  According to the University of California,Berkley,  "Microevolutionary change might seem too unimportant to account for such amazing evolutionary transitions as the origin of dinosaurs or the radiation of land plants — however, it is not. Microevolution happens on a small time scale — from one generation to the next. When such small changes build up over the course of millions of years, they translate into evolution on a grand scale — in other words, macroevolution!"  You misunderstood the theory.

I messed up here.  This was aimed at Parrster.

38. peanutroaster profile image65
    peanutroasterposted 12 years ago

The modern Pope realized that he couldn't throw all of the scientists in the dungeon or collect up all of the evidence or burn all the books, papers etc.  In other words the cat is out of the bag so might as well accept it instead of looking like a fool like the literal bible thumpers.

39. Druid Dude profile image60

You all keep lumping every deist into the same camp, and it simply isn't a fact that no deist believes in evolution. Many do, and it fits into their cosmological frameworks quite well.

True...  People often like to "lump" things together so they can easily understand a false belief, all while not realizing that life originally spawned from the anti-lump implosion that eventually spread outwards.  Why is it, that mank folks can't see these obvious things..?  Oh, never mind, it would call for something called "looking from within," as that must surely be too much work as it's so much easier to explode outward in an aimless fashion.

40. penofone profile image46
    penofoneposted 12 years ago

The body is in the realm of man as created by another human not in Nature "with a capital N: if the world is existing outside of the human factor of a civilized world then why do christians believe that god exists within the womb of an unborn child?
    It is true to believe Christ existed before the dawning of the age of MODERN civilization to say the least it has been discovered that the world of ages is gotten to be quite rudimentary in desire so to speak. Having said that, Billions of people have conquered death by their will to survive in the evolutionary process of biodiversity as you have aforementioned.
    Given the truth behind the conviction that god exists as a primordial being not just as animal or instincual concept of reality but as an intuitive thought that precedes the birth of a creature whether it is human or not. I think that the diversity in creation in general takes heed to the words manifested in the Bible. The corinthians have stated that Jesus realiably abolished slavery of women and children therefore taking back what was rightfully theirs. If it is true that god exists everywhere animate or inanimate then god duelly admirers his followers to a degree of sophistacation even animals cannot comprehend!
    What in the world is going to be accomplished by saving a few lives in the depths of the heart of civilized world and get "back to the basics", OR A PROTOZOA OR A ENGIMA OF THE HEART.
    If we can survive using the worst factions of realization of the inner Self their biological degrees mean nothing. In other words, life beckons life to exist. Any more of the theological explanations can be explained by the inherent will to survive the inner conflict. Meanings of life cannot be explained by mere words or a action valor that takes back the creative atmosphere of GODS PLAY. In the rage of infernos that exist in
    Christian philosophy the Big Bang Theory didn't advance civilization at any rate eventhough it may have been true to some defense of the mechanisms that exist to protect the environment in general. Those factors are irrelevant to decree tomorrows fate in the hands of a few.

The misconception you have, as I did at one time, is that I am in control. That control is an illusion. The sooner you figure that out; the more you may be able to understand what the Bible, God and Jesus are all about.

41. Philanthropy2012 profile image84
    Philanthropy2012posted 12 years ago

Oh Mr Winston, when will you learn, nothing will be changed by tackling theists head on! It is much more effective to spend your time writing hubs than tackle people's opinions one by one.

Education for the masses!

1. profile image0

Quite right.

42. ackman1465 profile image61
    ackman1465posted 12 years ago

Will you please explain why the likes of Pope Benedict is "great and learned"????

As far as I know, this guy moved up in the Catholic hierarchy by keeping his mouth shut, his head down.... and he got voted in to be Jesus consort by that bunch of "Cardinals" who are really quite a silly bunch all by themselves....

I am not convinced that ANY of the "religious leaders" of the Earth .... of ANY religion.... is brighter than any well-schooled High School sophomore....

43. Claire Evans profile image62
    Claire Evansposted 12 years ago

Well, obviously it threatens their views of the creation story and ultimately their faith.

44. getitrite profile image72
    getitriteposted 12 years ago

It is apparent that religion is a severe emotional disorder.  Some of these statements are COMPLETELY PSYCHOTIC!

45. Dannytaylor02 profile image70
    Dannytaylor02posted 12 years ago

think of it this way evolution is a relatively new theory and it certainly has holes in it and if a theist or atheist absolutely accepted it then the theory would never improve or fill in those holes so by not accepting it we are 'fine tuning' the theory so that eventually it will be an acceptable fact. having said that in its present form and with the scientists supporting the theory it may be a long time before that happens because people like richard dawkins are so dogmatic that they wont allow it room for growth, think about it if we could combine god and evolution wouldnt we have a complete picture of how we got here finally?
    i belive in god so if i believe in god i need to look at what he wants from me to find out what he wants from me i need to look into the bible because if there is a god its logical that he wants me to learn from him and since the bible is the most influential religious book there is then that must be the word of god (if there is a god that is) then i need to look at what the bible says and the basic theme of the bible is humans rebelled we need saving....saving is through jesus....john 17:17 his word is truth however and jesus tells us that he is not god himself but he is the mediator between man and so (so screw you pope)....its a difficult thing to get your head around belief in god doesnt mean that you have a religion because religion misconstrues what the bible says and because it is based on tradition science gets in the way but as long as you can seperate the bible and god from religion you will see that there arent any scientific reasons not to believe in god....even richard dawkins is quoted as saying that 'a strong case can be made for a deistic god' and hes the biggest atheist there is ever since anthony flew decided there was a god lol so theres no need to see evolution as an enemy of god, only in its extreme is it a threat to the belief in god such as man came from apes...but they cant even begin to try and prove that so no need to worry....this might sound weird but religion is the enemy to god not evolution.

No, evolution doesn't have holes.

Not at all. It would obviously raise the question of where the god came from?

Logical fallacy. Just because something is influential doesn't make it true.

... or fairies, or unicorns, or dragons...

Had you actually read, 'The God Delusion' you would have found that this is what Dawkins actually said...

“The deist God would be one that I think it would be - one could make a reasonably respectable case for that, not a case that I would accept, but I think it is a serious discussion that we could have.”

46. EinderDarkwolf profile image60
    EinderDarkwolfposted 12 years ago

Evolution is only a new theory if your going to use The Bible and Charles Darwin as a comparison. The theory of Evolution, or things going from simplistic to more complex forms, is older than Darwin though. He just happened to be the first person to bring it to public attention.

As for combining evolution and God, your delving into the Ancient Astronaut Theory that we were possible genetically created. Support for this theory comes through some of the same support for evolution. If you look through skulls from ancient skeletons then you see shifts in the size and shape of the skull. In some cases, the shift is so great that it seems impossible without genetic engineering. In essence you would be saying what they thought the myans were saying about God having come from the sky and having taught them everything they knew. Which happens to include the same basic creation theory that Christians hold so dear.

To begin with, the Bible is NOT the most influential religious text there is. Only bipartisan belief would allow for such a statement to be made. As you admit to being a Christian, this is to be expected. With that being said, I turn your attention to proverbs where God explicity states that he does not want you to have an understanding of any type for it runs counter to him. In other words, he doesn't want you to learn, he wants you to be ignorant. As for your reference to John, I turn your attention to Matthew where Jesus says "I have not come to destroy the prophecies or the prophets; but to fulfil." This simple statement says that with 613 Mitzvah's that Jesus had to fulfil, so must you fulfil them as well. If you haven't, then you are not worthy of following in his footsteps.

Your right that it is difficult to get your head around a belief in God not involving a religion. Especially when religion created the very book on which the belief in God is created. Whether you awaken yourself to the fact or not, In order to remove God from religion, you must also remove the Bible from your faith. Nine times out of ten this leaves people with nothing except for confusion so they don't take that route. It is very few that do. You pulling something from a context in which you don't understand. Diests don't believe in theism. They do believe in a higher power, but they DO NOT believe that there is any single scripture anywhere in the world to support that Higher Power.

First, my quote was wrong. God tells this to Jeremiah in Jeremiah 33. He states that only Levite priests shall ever give his ministry. Secondly, Jesus is not a Levite. The prince referred to in Jeremiah is the leader of the Levite priests, not an actual prince. Something I again missed until I looked it up again. As Jesus is not a Levite or even of the house of David by blood, he does not meet the necessary requirements to be the Messiah. People wondered for a long time why the Jews refused to recognise Jesus as the Messiah, I suspect this is probably why.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Bible is not a factual truth. One it was created by man, which gives instant fallibility. Two, it's been edited thousands of times by hundred or even thousands of other men. Finally, the Bible tells you directly not to have an understanding of any type. I don't support any book that tells people to be stupid and/or ignorant, doesn't matter where it comes from or what people think about it.

Many Greek Philosophers were Geniuses, true. However, the one's we know most commonly, such as Pythagoras, were also reported to have performed the same Miracles Jesus did. Their beliefs to the uneducated person is a polytheistic belief system of many Gods and Goddesses to please. However, they were Deist, believing in only one supreme authority, and the did it without a Bible and without all the BS trappings that came with the Bible. Assuming you know something without doing your research is a bad trend to get into.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)