Would You Stand Up for a Gay Person Being Bullied?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (91 posts)
  1. oscar86 profile image61
    oscar86posted 11 years ago

Hey guys, I'm a little angry today as I just had an argument with my parents about LGBTs. I was never very close with my parents because we are nearly complete opposites and believe in very different things (Not just this) but my parents being VERY religious -- my dad is muslim and my mom is christian, ironically both me and my sister are opposed to religion for several reasons -- are opposed to LGBT people. I do understand that my parents were born in the early 60s and being gay was a lot worse back then and people were not as open-minded as they are today but it just angers me when people think any less of gays just because they are attracted to different people.

Anyway, I had an argument on whether gay marriage should be legal and as expected they opposed it. I kept on asking them to come up with a valid reason on why it shouldn't and all they said was "It's wrong" or "God made us to be with a man and a woman". Sure some may argue that the latter is a valid reason because it is necessary for reproduction but we are living in a world with a rapidly growing population and should a fraction of the population end up not reproducing, the population would still continue to increase.

Anyway to the threads question, if a gay person was being bullied in public and you happened to walk by would you do anything to stop it and why? I am looking for other peoples opinions on the subject.

I have and would definitely again stand up for a gay person as I completely support LGBT.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I stand up all the time on the issue in various means and avenues. smile  I am a supporter of ALL... smile

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
        schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

same

2. 2besure profile image80
      2besureposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most definitely!  It is never right to mistreat someone because of their sexual orientation.

3. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It wouldn't matter to me if you were gay or straight, I would definately step in and help the person being bullied.  Bullying is out of control in this country and all over the world.  I too am close to your parents age being raised in the 60's and back then child abuse wasn't reported either and was actually 'swept into the closet'.  To each his own but bullying is just absolutely wrong!

4. A Thousand Words profile image68
      A Thousand Wordsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Would I have 3 years ago? Maybe. Maybe not. I was almost a bully then (although I didn't know it). Today. HELL yes I would stand up for them. I'll stand up for anyone, especially myself.

I went to a Christian College my first two years of being an undergrad, and guess what? One of their policies was kicking out a student if they found out they were gay or pregnant (along with the more common reasons for expulsion). I'm starting to think if I should find a way to stop them from doing that anymore. It's a private school, however. A Pentecostal Holiness private school, to be exact.

2. SmartAndFun profile image92
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

Hellzyah I would stand up! I am close to your parents' age but I do not think the way they do. Gay marriage is a civil rights issue, IMHO. We all need to stand up for those who are allowed fewer rights. Same-sex couples should be allowed to marry, and they will some day. It's no different than slaves being denied the right to just about everything or women being denied the right to vote. One day we are going to look back in disbelief that an entire segment of society was denied the right to marry.

3. lmpounds profile image61
    lmpoundsposted 11 years ago

I absolutely would stand up for that person.  I am a part of the lgbt community and have stood up for us many of times.

4. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

Definitely. Being LGBT myself means it would be standing up for me and mine. And I do now, and will do forever.
    Disagreements are fine - they make the world go around. But when people start getting aggressive amid infringing on the rights of others - it's not okay and I don't stand for it

1. Lor's Stories profile image59
      Lor's Storiesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Would you stand up for a disabled person? They are more vulnerable.
      If they were being beaten to a pulp yes I'd stand up for them.
      What if you were bullied by a gay person?
      I was kidnapped and held against my will.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
        MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL... not all disabled individuals are as vulnerable as you think.

I think the point is to stand up for anyone who is being bullied.

Not that thinking someone is wrong for being gay is bullying someone, because it's not.  People can have any opinions they like...

Which is what confuses me about this thread, how did we get from the OP's parents thinking being gay is wrong to standing up for people who are being bullied?

Did the OP's parents beat up a gay person and take their money?  In that case, yeah I'd definitely stand up for the gay person.

I am disabled. And I was bullied a a child. I was kickedx, hit and pushed. No one stood up for me. I was only eight years old.
          Think of a small child with cerebral palsy being pushed and hit.
          My mom found bruises on me. But I was too afraid to say anything.
          Think of your own child being bullied.
          No gay people can stand up for themselves much more than a child.

1. peeples profile image94
            peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"No gay people can stand up for themselves much more than a child." What if it was a gay child?

Sure would stand up for them. For any child.
              Adults though... Liable to get pounded. And that goes for any gender.
              Kids have it harder now more than ever.

2. mkjohnston81 profile image79
            mkjohnston81posted 11 years agoin reply to this

How about gay people who are disabled or those who have been killed due to hate crimes?  All bullying is wrong.  Period.  Why split hairs?

I mentioned Mathew Shepherd. I wept openly when those idiots beat him and left him in to die like an animal .
              I wept for his parents
              I'm sorry I don't mean to split hairs. Maybe I need to split my hairs.

2. Lor's Stories profile image59

Lol how rude.
          Laugh after you have the facts.

I have lots of facts.  I'm sorry you have CP, my six month old was diagnosed with it a couple months ago.  My daughter is autistic, and my middle son was (he has since passed away) had a heart defect/ a trach/multiple developmental disorders and was partially paralyzed. 

I hate to say this, but if you were afraid to say anything it was a personality issue, not a disability issue.  If you are too afraid to defend yourself, it is also a personality issue.  You are doing disabled people a disservice by portraying them as helpless and weak.

My son (the one who passed away) sent nurses from the house with bloody noses on a regular basis.  My autistic daughter can kick MY ass (she's four) and it might be a little early to judge, but my 6 month old shows some promise.

My children MIGHT get bullied, but I seriously doubt it would happen more than once or twice.  They've not got the personality to take too much crap.  Most disabled children I have been around are like that as well.  In many cases they have to fight to just survive... what is a group of mean kids after that?

So let's stop portraying them as shattered, weak-willed doormats shall we?

With that said, would I defend a disabled child who was being bullied and couldn't defend themselves?

Absolutely... if they couldn't handle the problem themselves.  The same thing for a gay person, if they couldn't handle the problem themselves, I would absolutely defend them.  Same with a normal white male adult with no special group affiliations... I would defend him if he couldn't handle it himself.

As far as being kidnapped by a gay person, I'm truly sorry.  That sounds terrible.

But ALL gay people didn't kidnap you... One person-who just happened to be gay- did.

I was a little girl . A very little girl. I acted out. Were you born in 1968?
              It isn't like it is now.
              The teachers covered it up. My mother got a phone call from a parent to le her know what was going on.

I am not shattered. It made me strong. I am 53 and spent my life dedicated to people who are different. A door mat? No way. I made it through college.
              And I worked. Apparently you have never read a book called  Karen.
              Obviously you weren't around in 1968.
              I will not answer any of these questions.
              I'm just saying bullying isn't only at gays.
              Would you defend a black woman?
              I'm so sorry I don't agree with you.
              I'm sorry you weren't my parents who found bruises all over their littl girl.
              Things have changed. In 1968 there was no ADA act.
              And yes being held captive for six hours in a car was devastating.
              I can't drive and I needed to get home
              You may ask if I forgave this person?
              Yes I did. He was going though a crisis . I was not ready to handle the crisis in a car 300 miles from home.
              I guess my parents brought me up to try and be like other kids.
              In the 60's I would have been sent away at a school for disabled children.
              I wante to be with my family.

Lucky your children are protected by ADA
              And I'm sorry your child died.
              But I don't think any kid growing up in the 60's knew they were victims.
              I blamed myself. I was told I was different.

I'm not judging anyone.
              But boy times have changed since 1968.

Defending meant staying home.
                Well from an eight- year old perspective.
                I felt safe at home.
                What was I going to do? Hit a kid?
                Kick back?
                I did try to tell my teachers. No one said a thing.
                But the bruises spoke for themselves.

I was the lucky one
                In the 40's people with handicaps were hid in basements.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59

Wow...

Yes, because 1975 was so much different than 1968.  1968 would have been my older sister, who is MR/DD.  She handled her teasing herself... but if she wouldn't have my mother would have ripped the school a new hind-end.  Sorry your parents weren't the same way. It doesn't mean standing up for YOU would have been more important than standing up for a gay person... or anyone else for that matter. 

My mother also wouldn't have accepted anyone treating my sister like she was special just because she was disabled.  Because of that, my sister never assumed that she had to try any less or get any special treatment. Which is good, because as long as you believe you need special treatment because you are disabled, then you never see yourself as a whole person.  The disability becomes who you are. 

It's the thought process that disabled people need more protection than others that gets me.  They aren't victims.  You aren't either, unless you let yourself be.  I don't appreciate the disabled that do the "poor me" thing.  They create bad role models for my children.  I don't need anyone giving them an excuse to pity themselves.

The ADA has never done a thing to help my children... I've never needed it.  It never occurred to me, or my children, that they didn't have equal rights.  When the little league coach said my son couldn't play T-Ball because of his trach, it wasn't the ADA that convinced the coach that my son would.  I suppose it would have been the same situation in 1968 as 2007... No ADA needed, just momma.

So were you supposed to hit the other kids back?  I don't know, but most other children in 1968 would have.  It was, after all, so very long ago.  I imagine that most 8 year olds today would have fair to even odds of hitting the other children back today.

Would I stand up for a black woman?  Well, first of all I've never known a black women who would need my help, but if she did I most certainly would.  Not because she was black or a women, but because she needed my help. Sorry, you lost the racism/sexism card there... I'm neither.

Finally your statement "But I don't think any kid growing up in the 60's knew they were victims." Sums up everything that is wrong -to me- with your philosophy. To me you only HAVE to a victim while during the very short time are being victimized... and then you only have to be a victim if you've fought and still couldn't stop it.  The second it's over you CHOOSE to either continue being a victim or become a survivor.

Either way, the world STILL doesn't owe you anything.  Nor are you any more worthy of protecting than any other person.

I never said the world owed me anything.
                  Don't worry I never took. But I gave.
                  Look I came from a small town in Ct. And went to a very poor catholic school 25 miles each way from home.
                  My dad was in the navy and was gone.
                  My mom had three kids.
                  When we moved to where I lived I was never bullied.
                  I don't know why I'm telling you his.
                  But I never took from anyone.
                  Not then not now.
                  But I admit I wasn't prepared to be bullied.
                  I was prepared to be like e everyone else.

I'm done.
                  I'm partially paralyzed now and I still don't ask for anything.
                  Maybe you need compassion.

I always bought I owed the world and you know what I got kicked over and over again until I almost died 7 years ago after they tore my esophagus during surgery. We didn't even sue.

I'm not a victim and hey neither are gays

I've got all the compassion in the world... I however have not one ounce of pity. Pity would mean that I would say you were right- even if I disagreed with you- just because of your disability.  As far as I'm aware, however, CP does not affect morals, intelligence or social opinions.  Therefore, it is irrelevant in this conversation.

That's treating you as an equal.  Agreeing with you because you have CP would be treating you as less than me. I would feel sorry for you, so I would let it go. 

I'm about to give you a speech that I've given in one form or another to dozens of parents, dozens of disabled children, and will give to my own children when they are old enough.

Each and every human being on this planet is given exactly the same amount of ability.  It's just distributed differently from one person to the next.  Bobby might be able to do long division in his head yet not be able to string together 6 words into a sentence.  Susie may be able to write beautifully, but not be able to add 2 + 2.  They have equal ability, just in different areas.

I have never...never met a disabled person who didn't have strengths to set off their weaknesses.  Never.  In fact, the bigger the disability, the more outstanding the strengths. Do you know how many autistic children are musical savants? Do you have any idea how many MR/DD's excel at sports? And lets not get started on the Steven Hawkins' of this world.

So you have trouble moving the way you would like?  That sucks.  You also have a college degree.  My daughter never stops moving.  It's easy for her.  That degree you have... she's going to wish she could get one herself.  You can envy her... She'll envy you... and you both can feel miserable about yourselves...

Because you are comparing your weaknesses to the other's strengths.

When you define yourself by your weaknesses--- and expect everyone else to define you that way too--- you turn yourself into a victim.

I have no patience for people who choose to be victims. 

Everyone has their own crosses.  I have compassion because I know you carry one. I have no pity because yours isn't any heavier than anyone else's.

Now to put that in context with the conversation, I will help anyone who needs it.  I don't believe anyone deserves it MORE than anybody else just because they are LGBT, Black, White, Disabled, Female, Male, Yellow, Brown, Short, Tall, Fat... or any of the other random groupings that everyone seems to want to put themselves or others into.

/rant

5. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 11 years ago

It depends on how angry the gay guy is. Seems like standing up would be asking for it, too tempting...much better to sit down...or am I missing something here?

It's a tough issue.
      A child being bullied because he is gay : yes I'd defend them.
      Look at Ryan White. He had aids and wasn't gay. His entire family was bullied.
      It's a hot button issue.

6. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

I answered the original question - being that of would I stand up for a gay person being bullied. In leaving others out I did not say that I would not stick up for everyone - merely that in this case - yes I would

Would I stick up for someone being bullied? For any reason? Of course - like I said - infringing on others rights - which is what bullying intrinsically is - is wrong. And I won't tolerate it.

7. gjean profile image59
    gjeanposted 11 years ago

Bullying is never okay.  I would stand up for anyone being bullied and I have.  Whether I agree with their lifestyle or politics or any other issue is not relevant at that time.    Bullying is violent behavior and should be confronted whenever possible.

8. Marketing Merit profile image94
    Marketing Meritposted 11 years ago

You should stand up for anyone who is being bullied regardless of their ethnicity, disability or sexual orientation.

I agree. But if the gay person is an adult don't you think they can stand up for
      Themselves?
      A teen maybe not.
      But an adult should be able to.

9. Briana Faye profile image61
    Briana Fayeposted 11 years ago

I would absolutely, without hesitation, stand up for an LGBT individual being bullied.  I would stand up for anyone being bullied, for that matter.  Bullying is unacceptable.  The bottom line is that LGBT individuals are human, just as everyone else.  There is nothing, especially sexual orientation, that would case them to be less human.

Why can't we just say bullying is wrong without putting the spotlight on one group?

Umm... because you pointed out that disable children deserved people standing up for them more than gays did?

Never mind I'm wrong  .

No I did not.
          I said children are more vulnerable,All children.
          Children don't process things as adults do unless they are super intelligent.
          As I said the world is a very different place for EVERYONE.
          Gay people are not disabled either.
          And what if I believe one group needs more protection than another,
          I believe the elderly need more protection.
          But whatever you say goes.
          Everyone deserves to have their rights protected.

2. Briana Faye profile image61
        Briana Fayeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, if you'll remember, the question was specifically targeted towards the bullying of LGBT individuals....

Sorry but I made a comparison

10. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I would take up for anyone or anything (animals) who was being bullied. I don't care if it's a gay human, a minority human, or a helpless critter. I really detest bullies!

11. oscar86 profile image61
    oscar86posted 11 years ago

I'm really happy with all the responses. Thanks everyone! Hubpages seems to have a very mature group of people. I agree with all of you that said you wouldn't care if they were gay you would defend them regardless but some people may not feel the same way if they are not ok with gays.

12. LisaMarie724 profile image66
    LisaMarie724posted 11 years ago

Whether or not you agree with Gay marriage God tells us not to judge anyone.  So the whole religious reason goes out the window.  I'm not gay but I would most certainly stand up for someone being bullied just because of their sexual orientation.  That goes for anyone being bullied for any reason.  I think bullies are disgusting.

I don't judge.
      I have never told anyone my thoughts on their behavior though I do wonder why some are so ready to pick on a group of people,
      I remember getting a phone call from a church member telling me not to come to my church because our pastor didn't like handicapped people. Is that bullying.
      I'm so confused. But I do strive to live by moral standards.
      Who am I to judge? I'm just trying to live my life and pray for peace.
      We can look at bullying from many sides.
      It's wrong. Kids are killing themselves from being bullied.
      Fat kids, gay kids, disabled kids, all kids. What matters is that we don't slide back into a comfort zone and say not in my back yard. Look at Sandy Hook Elementary school. The killer was probably bullied, it's time society took care of each other. And teach our kids to understand that the world is a very different place than when I was growing up.

13. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

I tend to let ppl treat me badly at times, but something in me rises up when someone who can't protect them self is being bullied. I stood up to a troll on a forum for bullying a young gay man and I became the troll's target. It was awful, he chased me all over the internet saying unbelievably personal things about me and posting and re-posting videos about me. At the time it seemed hard to bear, but I would do it again in a heart beat. I just can't stand to see someone bullied.

So you would defend a child if they were bullied because the had a disability?
      Or no?

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well I was answering the original poster, but to answer your question, of course. If I would want to defend someone who was merely a minority, but fully capable of standing up for them self, why would I not want to stand up for someone who had a disability and was physically unable to stand up for them self? That, to me, is a given. We should all do what we can to make the world a better place, obviously.

1. Soul Man Walker profile image60
          Soul Man Walkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Let's work together!

http://youtu.be/MN7j-LCgaiE

1. profile image0

Old music. <shivers>   wink

Yes please
            I'm sorry if I opened up a wound.

Sometimes I find myself afraid IF I'm being bullied.
      Maybe I do let people walk all over me.
      I guess after so many years of taking a lot of crap it's not worth the effort.
      But then I think why should I let anyone get a way with bullying.
      Maybe it's a flaw. Or as I said I'm s scared of some people who appear stronger.
      I'm not gay so I don't know what their fears are. Probably they fear what we all do and that's judgement. None of want to be judged rather love the person for who they are,
      We do need to stand together not a part. Then we can stop the madness.

1. profile image0

Agreed. I don't have to agree with every choice a person makes to know that God loves them and that I am no better or worse than them. Nor do I have to be in a wheelchair to understand the fact that that a person with different abilities than I has the same right to happiness that I do. We are all unique in our talents and shortcomings, we are all loved by our creator and we all should care about the well being of one another. It may seem sappy, but it's a truth that we can't live without.

I think the old rules just don't apply any longer.
          We are afraid to say anything for fear of being labeled a bigot.
          What ever bullying is getting out of hand because of the media.
          If the media would not exploit everything under the sun we would be better.
          I do not agree with the gay life style. I think it's a private matter,
          Just as sex is between a man and a woman
          But if gay people are so proud of who they are why are they offended if others don't agree with their lifestyle.
          You don't see women with breast cancer who may be fired from their job or cut off from friends demanding certain rights.
          I have a disability and have never joined a rally,
          Maybe underneath the GLBT society still feels a taboo.
          Because the Bible defines marriage as between a man and a woman.
          It's no different than divorce. Divorce was frowned upon once as well.

1. profile image0

We have to answer to God and to our own conscience. I have read the Bible and studied it at lengths. I believe that when God said to hate the sin and love the sinner, that He was giving me the instruction to love others and let Him take care of thier actions. I cannot change a man's heart or mind, I can only choose to love them. I have many gay and lesbian friends. I hope they do not judge me by my actions alone, for I am a sinner. I hope they see there is some good in me and that *that good... is God. I love them, I can say that honestly... I love them for who they are, and I know God loves them. Disabled, homosexual, black, Jew, straight... no matter the label, Christ died that we might have eternal life. This is what my entire belief system is based upon.

That's why I don't judge. And I don't.
              We don't know the mind of God.
              But I follow what the Catholic Church taught.
              Marriage is between a man and a woman.
              But if there Is a gender identity crisis which attracts a man to a man well like you that's between God and the other person,
              It's all relative I guess

14. profile image0
    Jessica Noelposted 11 years ago

Without a doubt. Bullying is an awful thing to do to anyone on any level. I can't stand it.

15. dvdreplications profile image57
    dvdreplicationsposted 11 years ago

I'm strongly against LGBT and agree with your parents. Men for women and women for men. If you would like a good, regretless and joyful life then you must follow them, secondly, can you give me any good example of any LGBT family or people or couples? never, because there is no love only lust, that will go away in few months or in a year.

1. profile image0
      Jessica Noelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know many heterosexual people who have lives filled with regret and sorrow. Your sexual orientation is not a direct link to the quality of your life.

I personally am close friends with a gay male couple. They were married two years ago and have been together close to five years. They are very deeply in love with each other and it doesn't seem to be fading.

2. mkjohnston81 profile image79

It's pretty easy to make judgments about a group you know nothing about, isn't it?  I am a member of the LGBT community, I have a partner and children.  And I know many others who are in good healthy relationships and raise happy, well adjusted children.  Get out a little, and don't be so judgmental.

3. JMcFarland profile image69
      JMcFarlandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

absolutely not.  My wife and I have been legally married since September, but have been together for over two years.  Your argument fails.  Miserably.

4. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've been married to my same sex wife for 3.5yrs and together for 7.5yrs. We hold down good jobs, pay taxes, have never broken a law, are good people, will be great parents. We lead a good, regret less and joyful life. Are we in love? You betcha! And growing stronger every day.
      Just cause you don't know anyone in a same sex relationship that has worked does not mean that they don't work. It would be like me saying "all heterosexual marriages end in divorce." Because most of the heterosexual marriages I know of have done.
      Generalising does not make it correct or even true.

5. Lor's Stories profile image59

Your honest and courageous. Isn't that what we wish we had the courage to be honest instead of walking on egg shells.
      I admit I'm afraid.

Yes because bigotry is bad when directed at you, but courageous and honest when directed at a group you don't "agree with".

It isn't bigotry to tell the truth.

1. mkjohnston81 profile image79

Little hard to "tell the truth" regarding a subject you know nothing about though, isn't it?

Right. But, this is not a subject that I know nothing about.

1. mkjohnston81 profile image79

Oh, you're gay too?

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59

There is no truth in an opinion...

There can be lots of bigotry though.

What opinion?

You are right, there may be truth in an opinion... I misspoke...

Like I am of the opinion that you are a sock puppet...

There may or not be truth in that.

However, there is no truth in the opinion that

"If you would like a good, regretless and joyful life then you must follow them, secondly, can you give me any good example of any LGBT family or people or couples? never, because there is no love only lust, that will go away in few months or in a year."

I have a good and joyous life... those regrets that I do have come from one relationship... a heterosexual one... My same sex relationships have had no regrets.  I know two lesbians who have been together for over 40 years, so that no love thing isn't really true either and it certainly didn't go away in a few months or years... so untrue there too.

So yeah... untrue.

But even if I couldn't prove the statement untrue, it's still bigotous.

I must confess. I am a sock puppet. So go the fortunes of war. I hear what you are saying, though, and am not in direct opposition to what you are communicating.

Correct me where I am wrong . . . you have had more luck with unconventional relationships?

Am I out of line to say, "That is not necessarily the norm."?

LMAO...

Describe an conventional relationship.

I am bi-sexual.  I have had wonderful relationships with members of both genders.  The one really horrible relationship that I had was a heterosexual relationship.

It would have been horrible if he had a innie instead of an outie as well.  It was his personality... or more precisely our personalities together... that made it horrible, not his sexual organs.

Of course it's the norm for people to have worse heterosexual relationships, because most people are heterosexual.

16. dvdreplications profile image57
    dvdreplicationsposted 11 years ago

Its just a fun can not be apply to whole life. its like ,Don't Ask Don't Tell. have  LOOK ON attached image. Only few people those like it in the whole world.
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7805737_f248.jpg

I've never tried escargot and I never would.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't... or that you are weird or gross.

If your point is to show that most of the world is straight, good job .. but we already knew that.

If you are trying to prove that most people don't feel gays deserve equal rights, you might want to find a chart that says that... yours does not.

There's a whole group of people in this world that aren't gay, but don't see any reason that gays shouldn't have equal rights.

I find it odd that you are adventurous, but have never tried escargot. It tastes a lot like stewed conch.

I'm adventurous as hell, but I've got this thing against creepy crawlies....  basically if I would jump on a table and scream for my husband to remove it, I don't want to eat it.

It's kinda a rule smile

2. profile image0
      Jessica Noelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That chart asks if people have had sexual encounters with people of the same sex... It doesn't ask anything about sexual orientation.

There are at least 8 million LGBTQ folk in the USA. That's a lot more than a few people.

Hot topic
        Why just gays and lesbians,
        How about Catholics, Jews, Seeks.
        This is no longer a melting pot .
        The pot is boiling over.
        At one point in time everyone has been bullied. It's just that it was not talked about. If you bullied anyone you got caught and hung out to dry by your parents.
        While I think the bully problems are too big now we need to check ourselves and discuss this issue before we lose a generation of children through suicide,

17. everyday living profile image63
    everyday livingposted 11 years ago

I would stand up for them yes, because like everybody else they are human and deserve the freedom to live their lives the way they see fit.

Do I agree with it, no I dont, but who am I to say how someone else should live their lives? I do not look down on anyone for their life choices because in the end I only answer for me and mine. 

I choose to be heterosexual, I find members of the opposite sex attractive, however I will speak my opinion on male or female .. if she's cute, she's cute!

18. K9keystrokes profile image85
    K9keystrokesposted 11 years ago

Not standing up to help someone who is being bullied is a betrayal of human responsibility. Any kind of bullying is unacceptable, and especially for something so dang normal as being gay or lesbian. Really people, it is 2013, stop starting firers with sticks and stones! cool

1. profile image0

"a betrayal of human responsibility."

I like that.

1. K9keystrokes profile image85
        K9keystrokesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Beth. smile Makes sense though doesn't it.

1. profile image0

Most definitely.

1. Soul Man Walking profile image61
            Soul Man Walkingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's nice when everyone is being agreeable.

1. profile image0

Glad you approve.

19. Lor's Stories profile image59
    Lor's Storiesposted 11 years ago

According to the definition of Homosexuality, it is not a sin.
    It may be genetic but no one knows for sure.
    Therefor my pain over this issue has come to a close,

Love one another as God loves us.
    " Do not judge or pass judgement"
    Be the good Samaritin and strengthen each other and reconcile all differences.

So yes, I will defend any one who is bullied

Thank You

20. Hannahh3 profile image61
    Hannahh3posted 11 years ago

I would definitely stand up for them, nobody should ever be bullied, no matter what their sexuality. Aaah, it makes me so mad! I know loads of gay people and they are probably the nicest, kindest, most loveliest people I have ever met!

21. Astra Nomik profile image62
    Astra Nomikposted 10 years ago

Yes I would stand up for someone who is gay or lesbian - whether in work or college or just in general. Anyone who has been bullied by anyone would know what it is like. Having someone to back you up and possibly protect you, if you are a female ... there are just some mean people out there, who get crazy ideas. Some people don't seem to understand the damage they do by bullying or picking on others.

Bullies are cowards.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)