Who are the greatest fools?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 54 discussions (226 posts)
  1. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

Atheists have been called "fools" on these forums. We (and they) all know why. But, conversely they see believers as fools. Again, we all know why?
    I have to admit, I AM a fool for Christ. (thought I'd get that right out front), So, which one is the greatest fool?
    A) Atheist
    B) Believer ? And why?

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you've pretty much summed it up. Either side sees the other as a fool. As the scripture says...the fool hath said in his heart, there is no God...

1. tantrum profile image59
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So what a fool am I !! big_smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Careful CJ ,thats considered too forceful here wink

1. profile image0

Scripture's always forceful. Double-edged and all that. You know it. I know it. wink

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup that about sums it up all right. Ever since that was written, wars conflict and hatred has been spread.

I am only doing what you asked me to when I point out that your beliefs are ridiculous, pathetic crutches to salve your fear of death and reality.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Logically - you must want people to call you a fool. After 1500 years of calling people fools, we are now starting to do the same to you.

Just like you asked us to. wink

Rather foolish don't you think - calling people fools and then saying you are only doing what you want others to do to you?

More proof that the bible is worthless rubbish written by short-sighted men with a penchant for conflict.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74

As the scripture says...

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

Lost me? Care to explain.

It is God who is quoting (scripture)via the Bible..Only the fool has said etc..

I am slow to call someone a fool ,although I assume like yourself you have heard some very foolish theories.

1. profile image0

Ha ha God even goes from calling them fools to laughing at them. 'The Almighty shall hold them in derision' And yet they say He aint got a sense of humour. Ha ha ha ha

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

LOLO

So god thinks I am a fool?

You do not. 

Did I get that right?

You nicely avoided the point I was making though. wink

Sorry sounded as though you felt Christians were calling you personally a fool...wanted you to stay focused is all.

The word comes from God ,which I believe you went on to say why you didnt beleive in that book.

It matters not what I think of you. I can tell you I find you a helpful person in technology matters. So therefore I would not call you a fool.

But as I said the laws you are so vehemently against are not mine, but Gods.

Do I agree with what God says, yes

Do I agree with Pres Obama's (example) yes

Are we the same person -No

1. profile image0

Boom!

No - just because you believe they are god's laws, that does not make them so. And I am not vehemently against any laws.

I am vehemently against people who think they have laws from a non-existent god and therefore can stand there and tell me that they are not calling me a fool - god is.

And if you believe every word in that book - you must believe I am a fool. No?

3. mcbean profile image67
                mcbeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would beg to differ on the point that the bible is an accurate version of anything. It is a book of stories that were originally passed verbally before being writting down by many sources and compiled by others. Much like a game we played as children known as 'Chinese Whispers' every time a story is heard and passed on it changes until it is essentially nonsense.
                The Bible, like the Koran, is full of contradictions. It is impossible to follow every word exactly due to this.
                This has created a dilemma for the church authorities who have to decide how to make this ancient book relevant to modern life.

aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Please do some serious research, before you make childish statements as this. You are entitled to an opinion, but get some depth to your understanding.
                  By all means read pro and con material, and then decide for yourself.
                  Based on your logic, there is no historical basis for any ancient history either. All is contrived. sad

I wonder if you realize how condescending you sound?

I agree with what he said. And I have spent some considerable time investigating the matter. There is very little proven historical fact in the bible, and much of what there is, is contradictory.

There is massive amounts of historical evidence for ancient history. Or are you suggesting that stonehenge and the pyramids do not count?

Very little of the actual historical evidence we have found concurs with your book of fairy tales. In fact, I have only ever been able to find one reference to jesus outside the bible.

Yet still you prefer to cover your eyes, and condescendingly tell other people to do some research.

And you wonder why your religion causes strife, conflict and wars.................

2. mcbean profile image67
                    mcbeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My point, which you seem to have missed, is that you speak with absolute certainty about events that occured over 2000 years ago. Do you not think there may just be the smallest amount of reporting error? How many different version of the bible are around today? You don't think it was written in modern english do you? Each successive translation was flawless? Ancient history needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Like it has been said of wars - the victor writes the history - an obvious example of reporting bias

On a separate point: I am 100% convinced that Jesus walked the earth. There is plenty of evidence cross referenced from many sources. This does not mean I think he was the son of god. I think he was an excellent orator and a charismatic figure, but still a regular human like you and me. My evidence for this is that he is dead, still. Evidence that he was the son of god is hearsay. If performing miracles is evidence I will go to church on sunday and worship David Copperfield. It must have taken divine intervention for him to ever hook up with Claudia Schiffer.

2. mohitmisra profile image60
                  mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ying and yang both exists and contradiction is the way the mystic expresses life and god which is correct.

2. t.keeley profile image77
          t.keeleyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm just going to jump in late in the game with an earlier post to sum up how stupid this argument even is...

Any believer of any religion -- Mark hit it. You want to convert him through your pathetic quotes, phrases, adages, words, etc., and all you do is push him farther away from it. It's not that he doesn't see what you're saying, it's what you're saying he doesn't care to see because of the way you're going about it. Frankly, trying your hardest to convert anyone of any religion is futile, and I think it's proving itself here.

Arguing faith is about as worthless as arguing politics...everyone's opinion should be viewed like ass holes. We all have one and it stinks.

To Mark -- sorry people are doing this, although you're rightly doing it back. In over a year at HP I've yet to see you truly start this argument, so my props to you for sticking out the muddy waters of religion drivel continually assaulted at you and others disagreeing with some of this crazy stuff here.

My opinion? Wait, mine stinks too!!!

2. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Personally to me all mankind are fools each and everyone of us. Instead of embracing each other for what our beliefs are we argue and always try to prove our point. smile

1. marinealways24 profile image58
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like you more and more after comments like these. Excellent thought.

1. AEvans profile image70

Thank you. smile

3. phonereversetrace profile image60
      phonereversetraceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Both are fools. Anyone that isn't willing to go beyond the mind and its incessant, bickering belief systems will always be deluded.

and both are "grouped belief"

Nope. One is a lack of belief. I know it is a difficult concept to grasp, but try. I am sure you will get it eventually. wink

lol you have a grouped belief in your lack of belief. Maybe you will someday get the concept.

Ah - so you are telling me what is in my head. Excellent. You should join the christian cult - they are good at knowing what I have in my head. Perhaps if you spent a little time educating yourself you would be able to understand that a lack of belief is not a belief.

I will try and simplify it for you - who knows, maybe it will help.

Do you have a belief that there is no Santa Clause, or do you not have a belief that there is a Santa?

See the difference? Subtle, I know, but you will get there.

What a shame , your condescending manner has lost my respect.

Note Im speaking for myself and not God.

I am hopeful too that your pride wont stop your further learning too.

Oh well ( isnt that how you do it..flick people off)

lol have a good day

Still avoiding the question huh?

I do not care if I have your respect or not. Your passive aggressive "god says you are a fool, not me," is at the root of the whole discussion.

Pity you cannot see it.

And the marine and I have a history that does not include wanting your opinion on how we speak to each other. Nor will I have offended him as I have apparently offended you.

How very christian of you to judge me when you have no idea.

Bumped this up because I couldnt get back online til now

@Mark K.
                    I owe you an opology as I thought you were responding to my answer ,hence my reply. It was not my intention to interupt you and marine's chat.

Re-read your post and I did answer your question.

Quit splitting hairs about who calls who a fool or not.

I do think a better question might have been

Whats the most foolish thing you have heard or seen.

The Hubpages Religious forum is a perfect example of what Christianity is Not according to Gods TOS  wink

2. marinealways24 profile image58

lol I always enjoy our conversations. Not everyday am I questioned on my belief of Santa.

Why do you classify yourself as a group such as atheist's? This is the same as any other group. Grouped ideas/belief. Do you find comfort in a grouped belief or "unbelief"? Why do you need to have a title to what you believe or dont believe?

LOL

No - I am not in a group of anything. If you think about it, there is only a term "atheist," because of the believers.

Ah, this is one of the main problems. Everything has a "term" to "separate" everyone. If everyone claimed individualism rather than a term, we would be a lot better off.

2. phonereversetrace profile image60
            phonereversetraceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Anything the mind can conceive is always going to be wrong.

4. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Neither, but I am curious as to why this question singled out only those 2 particular groups.  Are they the only ones worth mentioning?  What I mean is, it seems to me you had a greater purpose for just singling out those two groups.  What your bases for wanting to know?  Just to call over 5 billion people fools???hmm 

Does that solve our problems towards world peace or something?  Really, what am I missing here?

He is pushing his agenda. You don't think he actually wants an answer do you?

1. IntimatEvolution profile image69
          IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, you've gotta a point there.  But I don't think he really EVER wants to know the answer.  He just likes making a fuss.  I should have known better.  As you well know Mark, us Christians are usually up to no good.smile

2. aka-dj profile image65

hmm Hadn't thought of that one? 5 billion fools. I gues my question then would still hold true. Which "group" would be the greatest? Believers, or atheists.
        Oh, but I already know the answer. lol lol lol

5. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If people don't believe in God, that's fine. They should be left to their opinion but they shouldn't blatantly disrespect other peoples religion - same way they wouldn't disrespect other peoples culture.

There are a few Atheists in Forums who do that. I will not call them Fools but a time will come in their lives, when they will willingly admit to themselves, that they are Fools.

If atheist is being a fool, then Im the greatest fool of all! And proud 2 b ! big_smile

1. Lady_E profile image62

My comments stated - "A few Atheists in Forums".
          I don't recall reading any of your posts disrespecting anyone's religion. As stated above, if people don't believe in God, thats Fine. I have Atheists Friends.

I'm merely referring to the few that are disrespectful to other people's religion and you are not one of them.

Which brings us to the nub  of the discussion.

You are a christian.

The bible says I am a fool.

Yet - I should respect this religion?

6. mohitmisra profile image60

For some the enlightened one is the greatest fool.
      For some the atheist is the greatest fool.
      For some the man who can only see divinity in his prophet or religion is the greatest fool.

Which of the three are YOU?

1. mohitmisra profile image60

Bad answer! mad
            Idiot was not one of the choices. lol
            Nice poem though. big_smile

1. mohitmisra profile image60

smile

7. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The greatest fool is the one who thinks he can win an argument on the internet.

1. profile image0
        Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well put, Darkside.  And the second greatest fool is one who thinks he can win any argument, period.

8. Paraglider profile image87
      Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why this obsession with comparative folly? I am interested in the greatest writers, artists, musicians, philosophers, scientists, explorers, athletes, sportsmen, chefs, winemakers, etc, etc.

Leave the fools to their folly, whatever the nature of it. We have nothing to learn from fools.

2. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 14 years ago

C. people who believe they can force their ideals and beliefs down someone else's throat.

Agree !

2. marinealways24 profile image58

ding ding ding, I think you own the thread with "c". Less ignorance and more acceptance. Except for acceptance of ignorance.

3. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agree 100%

4. Dangazzm profile image74
      Dangazzmposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ill sign this one, I am a christian but I WILL NOT even talk about my religion unless specifically asked what I believe and why I believe it just like the Bible says we should do.

Although I question the Bible all of the time just because I want to prepare myself if someone was to question me... I sort of lost interest over the years I just leave it like it is and try not to get into arguments like these in person because they can get kind of heated for some strange reason...

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Sometimes Ive been guilty of both ,but Id rather be a thought a fool for Christ than for anything less..

4. profile image48
    CabinGirlposted 14 years ago

Only the Athiest can lose !

1. profile image0

Got a question for ya, bc. When you're doing all this alter-ego stuff, you use two browsers, cos you obviously cant keep signing in and signing out every time. That would be a lot of work. Or are you just weird like that, man? smile

1. profile image48
        CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It creates an interest my friend in an otherwords boring forum full of some really crappy topics. Of course I am using 2 browsers but am actually using 5 at this moment.

As for a lot of work this is just a few seconds of light entertainment from what I am actually doing. I wouldnt call myself weird because as I have said before over 25 top hubbers have alter-egos, I just like to make mine public because I don't care a monkeys about the thoughts of others. I mean do you really think I would lose sleep over what you think about me, get real !

Yea its like playing dress-ups lol

1. profile image48

Lol don't even go there smile

Ok just stay outta my closet lol

2. profile image0

Why so insecure, homes. You gonna throw another tantrum, threaten to leave and then apologize and come back again. What a melodramatic queen, you are, badcompany. Lol.

1. profile image48
            badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

As I recall my drama queen friend I actually talked you one night to actually shut up before you got yerself kicked off the site because you were overreacting like a big child so please don't lecture me with BS that you do yerself. At least I know I am doing it, so as I say think back my friend or has yer memory conventiently forgotten that night ?

1. profile image0

Sorry, dont keep tabs. But you're welcome to post the link, though. You know, jar my memory. Lol. Yes, I do put on a bit of drama in here. But Its not to be compared with yours. I mean, whether you care to admit it or not, you've lost a lot of respect in here, people just dont hold you in high esteem as they did anymore, and it might take sometime to get it back. But of course, you dont care what people think, do you? smile

Boys!!!! Naughty, naughty no arguing stop digging at each other and respect each other or take the boxing match outside the ring. Both of you are highly respected one is not better then another so slow the testosterone down and learn from each other, no go out and play. big_smile

1. profile image0

Yes ma'am. *grabs his bball and dunks it* seriously though, Jules. BC is my man, I like the guy, he's a humorous son of a gun, but once he loses his humour, he's not so much fun. Just angry and insecure. I know he's better than that. smile

He is and so are you if you read some of his articles you will find out what is really going on in his life. He is a great man and we only have to be supportive, enough said go off and read. I am certain he also admires you. smile

2. profile image48

The night you were arguing with Mark Knowles and he made a complete fool of you then you went off on one. Both myself and Brenda Scully managed to calm you down. I bring my drama on, as when I say I am leaving I am not, it's an act but hey you wouldnt know about acting or would you Mr future Holywood Director. Of course I lost some peoples respect that night but most unlike you have moved on. I don't care what you think for sure and to be honest most of your comments after mine mainly now consist of the same old alter-ego weirdo crap.

Talking of respect, I have lost any I ever had for you. I once said there is nobody on here I dislike but for you I will make an exception. In future let's just ignore each other on here, unless you have a thing for me !

1. profile image0

Is that still part of the drama?  smile

2. profile image0
        dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can have two seperate windows open,both logged in as me. So I imagine, you could log in as a diff user too? I have done this, to try and keep up with forums in one window, and do hubs in another. I bet you could even have 3 alter egos!!!  wink

5. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I think that a fool is anyone that does not know what he/she  believes in or why they believe in it. They just do because SOMEBODY told them to. I think that there are as many athiest as there are because us bible thumping Christians are setting an example that is not worth following. We cain't even agree as to what the true is,  so what makes us think that we can "Teach" a nonbeliever to believe like us when as a whole we don't know what that is, or why. When we point at someone calling them a fool there are three fingers pointing back at ourselves.

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and thats the whole truth

Yes ! smile

6. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

we are all fools in the eyes of God! That's why  he created us, to have a Big Laugh lol

1. profile image0

I agree. Ha ha ha I imagine how dumb and foolish we must always seem, even now arguing in a pc forum, I bet he's shaking the celestial temples with the Boom! Of His kadosh laughter!

7. tantrum profile image59

Boom !?... It sounded like a fire cracker to me big_smile

8. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

AMAZING!!!
    How Foolish to Believe that YOU HAVE NOT BEEN SOLD...

CJ Refers to the Power of the Scriptures.
    Yes... The Power of Words is immense.

How Best to SELL the words?
    Who would be the ones to target that Sale to?
    Are You Not Attempting to SELL HERE?

THE OLDEST PROFESSION - Selling.
    The Art (Skills) of Selling = How one puts their message across!

The ORIGINAL BIBLE was incomplete and as such required new words to be added to enable it to be suitable for sale!
    It ALSO REQUIRED TRANSLATION so that:

(A) Could be understood by potential purchasers of it
    (B) Could be promoted to FOOLS, WISEMEN & PUBLISHERS
    (C) Could be sufficiently ambiguous to handle any Sales Objection
    (D) Could be an ILLUSTRATION of the POWER OF WORDS (Alone).

ONLY A FOOL WOULD DISAGREE THAT: As mere people of various cultures, languages, intellect and education... HISTORY SHOWS THAT: We are destined to Never ACCURATELY INTERPRETE the Words of Others in the CONTEXT OF THE WRITER. hmm

Is that Not Why We Write?
    OR Are Some Driven Only To Sell?

The Arrogant Believer (either way)IS the Fool.

Arrogance and/or Ignorance has to be the biggest block to any communication IMO

9. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I am just as repulsed if not highly irritated by certain scripture spamming people.

That same scripture is for everyone ,not just believers,although yes, their are many who beleive they are somehow exempt..lol

Ah - now we are back to you making fun of me for not subscribing to your irrational beliefs. So - back to the question you have once again avoided.

Do you believe every word in the bible?

Making fun of you ?

I am not asking you to subscribe to anything.

10. tantrum profile image59

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/innocent/innocent0006.gif

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Stop trying to BS a BSer lol

What is a BS ?A Big Saviour ?.. yikes ...Oh!. .. thank you ! big_smile

11. Make  Money profile image66
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

I just posted this in another thread.  I think it fits well in this thread too.

For verse 17 think of the plagues of Egypt when Pharaoh wouldn't let His people go.

Quite right - I have been contacted by quite a few people who have thanked me for helping them deal with the cognitive dissonance they were facing trying to reconcile an irrational belief system with the facts.

When you think about it - a god just makes no sense. They feel better in themselves and I am happy to have helped them. big_smile

12. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Sir Mark... You are a god in the eyes of so many! lol

13. Make  Money profile image66

It sounds like we are all fools.  This reminds me of the joke about the guy that says to the priest, "I'd attend the services but they are filled with hypocrites."

The priest replies, "Well there is always room for one more." smile

14. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I think it is okay for them to disagree.  People expressing their divergent opinions is what makes the world go round smile.  People always having to agree is sort of milk toast boring.

15. SweetiePie profile image82

He is not insecure and you are not insecure.  I just thought the two of you were bantering.  Sometimes when people agree too much that concerns me because I think they are compromising their true thoughts such to look conciliatory smile.

1. profile image48

I am insecure, I will give him that but it went beyond banter and that is my last word on this topic. But cheers SP and AE, I can only agree I have lost respect on here and yes I am insecure, does that make me an alien, nooo, it makes me honest and just another human being, no more than that !

1. profile image0

I've got my flaws too. Hey, I'm a Mindless relentless! Dude, quit being such a dame about this and grab a beer. You still gonna give me the silent treatment in here, huh? You still da man, BC. You know it. I know it. So quit f***ing around! smile

1. profile image48

Nahhhh course not ya big dipstick I wud miss yer damn banter, jeeez why do you think I picked a female alter-ego, because I am a big dame, no hard feelings on my part man. Lets just forget it ok !

1. profile image0

my man! Now you're talking! Now you're talking! You like Jack, BC? Drinks on me...http://liebchen11.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/jack_daniels.jpg

2. AEvans profile image70

smile (((Big Hug)))

16. SweetiePie profile image82

All humans have insecurities, and each of us show these in different ways.  Life is just way too short for us to take this all too seriously smile.

1. profile image48

I am not taking it seriously, I am in future just ignoring a hubber on a website !

1. profile image0

Aww shucks, dude. sad

1. SweetiePie profile image82
          SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that is my fault for saying no one should take it seriously.  I guess you both were just having fun.  Sorry for getting involved.

1. profile image48

No don't be silly I am glad you came into it, you made me step back and think, both you and AE of course. But hey tis only 615pm here and I can't even blame the drink for my arguing, oh well that's entertainment for ya smile

1. SweetiePie profile image82
              SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hope you have a nice dinner.  Everyone on this site wants people to look at their hubs or they would never write here smile.

17. SweetiePie profile image82

You should both star in a movie together smile.

1. profile image0

You kill me, woman. smile

18. profile image48
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Lol Cheers my man, the BC is off out but am glad we ended on a good drink, enjoy yer night my friend smile

1. profile image0

You too, gotta recharge and do some writing. Later, homes! *peace sign*

2. profile image0

You too, gotta recharge and do some writing. Later, homes! *peace sign*

19. Make  Money profile image66

I think the both of you are just trying to get people to look at your Hubs. smile

Cool photo

http://z.hubpages.com/u/1368277_f260.jpg

I guess it worked. smile

20. Make  Money profile image66

Yep, I didn't say there was anything wrong with it SweetiePie. smile

21. SweetiePie profile image82

I know you did not smile.

22. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

People who start religious debate forum threads like this could be high up in the fool stakes...oh and Jesus too, his long beard just looked so foolish, perhaps the biggest fools are those who choose to believe fantastical stories as fact....

Religion is so old school, why don't we come up with something else that everyone can worship without hate and all that "my Gods bigger than yours" cack!

I'd happily worship a games console that played many different games throughout the year...ahh yes that sounds much better....

23. Jess Killmenow profile image60
    Jess Killmenowposted 14 years ago

I confess.  I am the greatest fool.

You don't have to. We all know lol

24. tantrum profile image59

Thanks Lady E!  You know I'm a joker, don't u? big_smile

1. profile image48

I still think yer the greatest fool though smile

sad (weeping ) sad

1. profile image48

It's a compliment ya crazy fool !

WHY CAN'T ANYBODY UNDERSTAND THAT I AM A J.O.K.E.R.!! °° lol   And i love you both BC & GB lol

1. profile image48

We know you are a joker, who else but a joker or a fool would even be on this damn thread ?

2. Lady_E profile image62

< smiling and waving at yah > wink

25. tantrum profile image59

Yeah!!  So what r u doing here ? Following me ? big_smile

1. profile image48

I prefer to call it stalking, makes me sound more creepy than I am and with my alter-ego I can follow you on two threads. But I see tonight boredom seems to rule the forums as Religion takes over and the same old crap is poured out.

Why people air their religious beliefs is beyond me to be honest, me I actually do believe in God but having lived in Belfast through the troubles and seen people die in the name of Religion I don't really care what they do or don't believe in.

To be honest I think some use it as some sort of twisted game just to wind really decent people up and think they are both smart and clever in doing so, I find it pathetic !

Thi is a religion forum, CG ,where religion is aired. .if it smells bad,...I'm sorry. It's not me. And yes, it's pathetic, but  I think it's funny as well. You know mw lol

1. profile image48

I am sure if you were bundled into a car at 19 years old, hooded, driven into the woods and shot twice through the head because you were not of the same religion that would be funny but for some reason as it was a friend of mine I just couldnt raise a laugh that day. Religion stinks and is resonsible for most wars and even on here responsible for most heated arguments and the really funny thing is most religious people are total hypocrites. Anyway rant over !

I don't think I deserve this rant ! It could have been enough with a tantrum ! smile

1. profile image48

It wasn't aimed at you my friend, just religion in general is a really sore point with me which is why you rarely find me in it discussing it, am out of this relgious forum now !

26. Jerami profile image59

A basic description of who I think God is.
    I believe in a higher being than my self. this would be kinda arrogant to think that after millions of years that the universe has been in existence that mankind is the top of the totem pole.
    I also believe that this higher being has communicated with mankind  (Adam and Abraham etc). Abraham called this higher power God. God gave us the 10 commandments as good advice as to how everyone should stay out of trouble while enjoying life to the fullest.
    We didn't follow that advise very well.
    I believe that God developed a new plan to help us out, he unselfishly sacrificed a part of himself to benefit more of us. God created all things, bugs and the birds that eat them, and eagles that eat the rabbits and birds. The rabbit thinks that the eagle is evil
    God created good and evil.
    GOD  CREATED  LIFE  and death.  and left the middle part up to us. I believe that he created many doors to go through when we die, and something behind those doors.  I do not think that this description should anger anyone. All that I did was to leave off the window dressing, We can dress him up however we want to and he will still be who he is
    ..the Great ..I AM ...

That has a lot of truth in it. I hope people can understand you smile

I may be the biggest fool I think I may have been on the wrong thread sorry

27. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

??

28. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

The true "fool" is the person who refuses to see the other person's perspective.  A "fool" doesn't take the time to ask him/herself why he/she believes what he/she believes.

And that is what most people do, regretfully

29. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

me... for posting on this thread lol

30. LVM profile image59
    LVMposted 14 years ago

Any, of both.  They become fools when they become fanatics.

31. Jerami profile image59

realy am sorry thought I was on the define god thread, I got stupid

Don't have to apologize. you're welcome here if you want to have a laugh big_smile

thanks I need a laff

It lookslike nobody's laughing now. Everyone became seriousssss. Sorry smile

don't do that on my acount. I like fun but too slow typing to keep up though. and can't remember any jokes right now.

lol I'm not doing anything ! Everyonebecame serious all of a sudden. Better if you go to your threads and checked them. C u later smile !

gotcha

32. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I have no clue if either one is a fool, but this thread did remind me of a fascinating occurrence from early 1973 in Spokane, Washington.

My second wife and I had just recently hooked up.  She (Carolyn) worked as a secretary for a boat trailer manufacturer, as did her friend (Gloria).  They were hard at work one morning when what we euphemistically called a Jesus Freak walked through the front door.  This young man immediately demanded to know if they believed in God. 

Rather than call Security to throw him out so they could get back to work, they politely told him:

Gloria:  "I'm an atheist.  God doesn't exist."

Carolyn:  "I'm a Christian.  I also believe astrology has validity."

The erstwhile follower of the God of Love exploded.  He verbally attacked...no, not the atheist, but the avowed Christian who DARED to include (gasp!) that ol' Devil ASTROLOGY (choke! wheeze!) in her box of mental concepts. 

Go figure.

1. Dangazzm profile image74

I chuckled from this one, I hate that people get their religion all mixed up. You are also not supposed to pass judgement on others but look at the satanist man we did that! just kidding, but seriously I like the idea of astrology, numerology ETC. They are kind of cool and interesting

33. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Those who base their beliefs on a literal reading of the bible.

"If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father.  Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her."   Deuteronomy 22:28-29

1. Dangazzm profile image74

28If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;

29Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

Please you need to use King James Version as the New King James Version or whatever you used looses it meaning as there cannot be a direct translation as such.

This was written for a time in which that was a punishment befitting for the crime while right now... not so much, also you remember women were property and did not have any real rights as a human being so this was payment to the father for TAKING his daughter but I understand people not wanting to accept this being in the Bible

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The meaning and morals remain the same, no matter which version you choose to read, and the bible is full of such instructions! smile

It sounds like a good deterrent for "fornication". Of course, it is widely acceptable in our society today.
      Try a few quotes from the lips of Jesus. You seem to be stuck in the OT.

34. earnestshub profile image80

Not at all stuck in the OT. smile The NT is not much better although they cut back on some of the fire and brimstone. smile

Ye, but it does have "Hellfire", but that's different. big_smile

35. earnestshub profile image80

How about all the lies Jesus told for starters?

Here's one!
    And Jesus answered and said to them, "Truly I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, `Be taken up and cast into the sea,' it will happen.  "And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive."  (Matthew 21:21-22
    How about getting that mountain to move believers? Feeling up to it? smile

I doubt you can call that statement a lie. It's a conditional directive, using the word "if", you have (that level of faith).
      Why would I want to move the mountain anyway. I like them where they are. Perhaps to prove something? Nah, don't have anything to prove. cool

OK, I like that one smile here is another.

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.  (Matthew 7:7-8

You can preach to me like this all day. I LOVE this stuff. One of my favorite (promises) for praying.
          You ought to try it sometime. SERIOUSLY!

been there, done that, then I started to read wider. SERIOUSLY! smile

The mind is an amazing "machine". It will grow stronger in whatever you feed into it. (I know you know that stuff). So, it is up to each person to "filter" what they put into it. The old GIGO principle applies here.
              That's why I am ok with other's beliefs (or lack of) because they are each responsible for their own lives. I am not responsible for others, nor are they accountable to me. (did I express all that OK?) big_smile

lol

If you don't have anything to prove - why are you always arguing your case?

And if you can actually prove it - like it says you can in the bible - why hasn't any one ever done so? wink

Could it be because the bible is lying? Seems a logical answer to me.

I'd have to write hub on answering these points of yours.(it would be too long to put into a forum post.)
          The short answer is I really enjoy the "discussion", and challenging other's beliefs. Or lack of! big_smile

36. discounthosting profile image41
    discounthostingposted 14 years ago

This question may be the worst question that could possibly be asked...how can you classify the beliefs of people into fools and not fools? Belief systems are relative just like space and time. There is no right or wrong answer because it all depends on what you judge as proof and proof is relative as well. It's a stupid question that can't be answered. And yet here people are trying to answer them. May I ask why?

Sure you can, your new here, smile

1. discounthosting profile image41
        discounthostingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It seems like there are a lot of christians in this discussion and perhaps vocally on hubpages...where are the jews, muslims, buddhists, hindus, etc... voicing their opinion? And yes I am new and don't usually speak up but this topic prompted me to. smile

Time will reveal all. Believe me, they too are here. And some much weirder beliefs too. Trust me. Well, even if you don't, you will find out for yourself.
          PS, put on your "thick skin" if you are touchy, because it can seem a bit rough sometimes.
          If you are interested, I have written a short hub on that. smile

2. earnestshub profile image80

Good you are having your say, and I must say that apart from 3 extremist Muslims and a couple of Jews, that seems to be a fare assessment. smile The extremists are easy to spot, they have no hubs, no profiles and less credibility! smile

In time, "all shall be revealed my son". big_smile

37. earnestshub profile image80

It takes time and education, but we can decide to read broadly once we understand how much there is to know, and I am talking outside of religion. smile
    You did put your reply in a more acceptable form. smile

38. aka-dj profile image65

Religion!!! Worst thing ever invented!!!

Aka, you know I agree it is bad, but what is worse is when religionists replies are assumptive. smile You may notice that most atheists only reply to assumptive statements that are exclusive or inclusive. smile

Partially agreed. big_smile
        If I were to say, "God loves you" (all inclusive) as a positive comment, it seems to attract either no response, or some off the wall, "yea RIGHT... what about such-n-such?" attacks.
        I have copped a lot of abusive comments no matter the intent was neutral, or positive.
        My observation has been that people read posts through their own emotional lenses, and see things there that are not.

39. earnestshub profile image80

All I can say is that is like telling me the tooth fairy loves me!  smile I do not believe, not at all, I do not believe even a bit. smile It is meaningless to speak of a god, when the sources of those beliefs are so terribly wrong in my view. The old and new testament, the Quoran and all the other tomes speak of a psychotic murderous entity offering endless threats and punishments, the same tactics used against the ignorant till this day in many countries by the churches. It makes me sad to see. smile

Exactly my point. You bring to the table all your prejudices, and filter the words on the screen accordingly.
      Your rejection of God, or anything related, is deemed tooth fairy stuff. And is actually totally reasonable, and expected.

See ernest - you are just showing your prejudices. It is not possible that you gave it serious consideration and made a rational decision. wink

Which is just a nice way of telling you that you are a fool. Which is a little difficult to stomach from some one who rejects scientific evidence as not having enough "proof." lol

lol

Oh, I see. You edited the post while I was writing. big_smile
      Thanks for toning down you anger, and only using the word "sad".
      Hey, you believed as you do, long before I came along, and you may continue ,long after we "part company". Don't get mad at me for believing what you reject. cool

40. earnestshub profile image80

And what about the points I have made? Are they "just my prejudices" I may have some different understanding, but I have read your religious sources, you may not have seen what I base my information on, yet you pre judge? smile

Basically, yes they are. Because the same writings (points as you call them) do not have the same impact on me. You certainly high lite certain themes from (mostly OT) scripture. I see these through "different eyes".
      But having said that, how many friends or relatives, close to you has religion killed, or destroyed?
      It's like blaming all Germans, for what Nazi's did in  WW2. Or holding all whites, for what redneck KKK did to African Americans.
      Bring it closer to home. You are to blame for all the Aborigines being dispossessed, killed and stolen. etc.
      I think that's caller racism, or prejudice. hmm

Are you calling me a racist because I live in Australia? smile

NO!, because I don't hold you (personally, or this current generation) responsible for the actions of the past. We have moved past that. So, also, the quotes you use from the OT, are PAST, and not relevant for the current generation.
          But thank you for re-inforcing my statement about reading through your own prejudices. You obviously read accusation into example. big_smile

No I did not, I am simply showing you the nature of scripture, but you got that religious glow again. smile And why the reference to the boomerang and the reference to racism?

Boomerang? You got me there. What Boomerang.
              Gee whizz man? I used the term racism as a way to give example. Keep it in context. It was used in three different scenarios.
              A lot of Aussies called me a "wog", but I don't hold ALL Ausies guilty of prejudice.
              Am I getting through yet?

No it appears you are now calling Australians racist. I would be surprised if you were called a wog in Australia, I have not heard that term for ten years. smile The boomerang comment was from another thread, apologies. smile

41. aka-dj profile image65

Please read the post again, slowly. I said "I could", (meaning I don't because only some did".
    Well, that goes to show you how long I have lived here. (Much, Much, more than 10yrs). big_smile

42. earnestshub profile image80

A few countries at religious war now, (according to Time Magazine, and there are many more. smile
    Nigeria.
    Bosnia
    Lebanon
    Ulster
    Turkey/Cyprus
    Philippines
    Pakistan/India
    just a few. smile

You have avoided most questions and apart from biblical references you have nothing but your belief and no interest in truth that I can see. smile

43. earnestshub profile image80

An Observation.
    You add value when you learn from others. smile

Boy, here I thought it was when we gave something away. hmm
      I am learning new things all the time big_smile

44. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

An observation

dj already has all the answers he needs. wink

Soon he will add some links to the massive amount of archeological proof that confirms the bible - but was not discovered or faked by a religionist. lol

I have only ever found one reference to jesus outside the bible. Yet the "fact" of his existence is accepted and they even claim it is proven by outside sources. Where are these sources exactly?

45. Make  Money profile image66

Reference to Jesus outside the Bible;
    http://www.israelect.com/reference/Will … ahshua.htm

Flavus Josephus
    Antiquities of the Jews
    Pliny the Younger
    Tacitus
    Maimonides
    Mara Bar-Scrapion
    Lacian of Samosata
    The Babylonian Talmud
    The Nag Hammadi Library
    Pilate's report to Caesar

LOLO - Most of these are written by religionists.

Got any actual evidence - you know - the historical proof that dj was talking about - most of these are pieced together scribblings that are in dispute because they were doctored to suit by the religionist that "discovered," them. There are even a couple of guys currently awaiting trial in Egypt for forging references onto ancient artifacts.

Deary me - you guys are desperate.

Isnt that exactly what evolutionist do , dig up pardon the pun , and talk about what they know ? or think ,or guess ,or predict based on  maybe , or ? and nothing more.
        Cant say Ive heard an atheist attribute creation to God

lol lol

46. Make  Money profile image66

Not from the Christian religion Mark

Flavus Josephus - Jewish source.
    Antiquities of the Jews - Jewish source.
    Pliny the Younger - lawyer, author, and magistrate of Ancient Rome.
    Tacitus - senator and a historian of the Roman Empire.
    Maimonides - Rabbi, Jewish source.
    Mara Bar-Scrapion - Syriac writer, non-Jewish, non-Christian.
    Lacian of Samosata - Assyrian rhetorician
    The Babylonian Talmud - Jewish source
    The Nag Hammadi Library - Gnostic Gospels
    Pilate's report to Caesar - Roman governor to Roman Emperor.

It's nice that you believe at least one of these sources.  That means you are progressing.  God bless ya

The man named Jesus existed. It's silly to deny that. The thing is, Was he the Son  of God ?  I think this is what atheist want you to prove smile

And I'm not begining an argument. Only saying smile

The athiest wouldnt believe it if Jesus were standing right in front of them claiming to be the son of God.
        They didnt then ,they dont now!

Nothing really new.

2. Make  Money profile image66
        Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are right tantrum, it's silly to deny that the historical Jesus existed.  Thanks for recognizing that. smile

We can't prove anything to anyone that does not want to see it.  They have to see it themselves.

But as long as atheists keep coming, Christians will keep trying to show them.  The fact that atheists keep coming makes you wonder whether they are questioning themselves.  Maybe in reality they are agnostic instead of atheist.  That's progress.

Not really make money. I am an atheist. I am just trying to stop the spread of hatred you guys continue to do. Maybe then we can become what we are capable of? Who knows - it is worth a try.

I have lots of people every week who write to me thanking me for helping them let go of their irrational beliefs.

Nice to see you coming back and slowly seeing that your beliefs are false. I know you keep coming here to learn,. eventually the blinkers will be removed and you will see what a mistake you have made.

lol don't mean to interrupt, but now you are confusing me. I asked if you were atheist and you said no, thats just what people term you and you called me a fool for assuming you were an atheist. I think I got lost somewhere.

47. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

The fools are the people who don't know the difference between what they know and what they believe.

It's easy believe anything that is convenient or makes you feel better in the short term. To genuinely know something is a life's labour.

48. tantrum profile image59

My opinion is that  60% of christians  don't believe really in  The Bible And God / Jesus, and that 60% Atheist are afraid as hell of not believing in anything. That's the reason of all  these arguments.

49. tantrum profile image59

Lost in the religion forum, where everything is possible ! LOL!

lol maybe it was divine intervention for me to get lost.

50. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Why do so many desire a title, believer or non-believer?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)